• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xeno Series Community |ST|

Okay I thought the theme was Jesus because of Christmas but I don't think Momo quite fits that, unless she's only there due to cute girl bonus

Also did you know Shion is supposed to be the main character of Xenosaga lolololololo

Started Xenoblade DE earlier today, it's my first time ever playing anything from the series. So far, impressions are great!

First of all, I have to say the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Crazy that it's a Wii game. Great art direction really goes a long way, even with tech limitations. It's a bit blurry on my TV, but the environments are so luscious, I don't really mind.

The battle system so far feels alright. I like how there is no MP, and no HP management outside battles, it's refreshing going into each encounter knowing you're in top form. I don't really like having to position myself to get bonuses because, with most of the enemies, it's hard to tell if you're in their front or back in the heat of battle.

The game is full of QoL stuff that is sorely missing from other RPGs, like not having to return to the NPC to finish a side quest, having icons on the map showing which monsters will give you the loot you need for them, having the option to play with a full screen map layover etc.

The game makes me nostalgic because it reminds me of PS2 RPGs which is a genre I adored when a teenager, but have kinda disconnected from since. It reminds me of FFXII and PSO, really great vibes. Music so far is great, again, very PS2-like, it's a nostalgia trip.

The story so far has been nothing, but I'm intrigued about the lore and I want to know more. Characters are kinda bland, Shulk's VA really doesn't fit him, and I'm still confused why they decided to name the hero character you look up to Dunban lol I'm very early though, I'm sure they will grow on me.

I see this is the type of game with lots of systems to fiddle with and customize your party, and that's my kinda shit. Excited to play more tomorrow.

Started Xenoblade DE earlier today, it's my first time ever playing anything from the series. So far, impressions are great!

First of all, I have to say the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Crazy that it's a Wii game. Great art direction really goes a long way, even with tech limitations. It's a bit blurry on my TV, but the environments are so luscious, I don't really mind.

The battle system so far feels alright. I like how there is no MP, and no HP management outside battles, it's refreshing going into each encounter knowing you're in top form. I don't really like having to position myself to get bonuses because, with most of the enemies, it's hard to tell if you're in their front or back in the heat of battle.

The game is full of QoL stuff that is sorely missing from other RPGs, like not having to return to the NPC to finish a side quest, having icons on the map showing which monsters will give you the loot you need for them, having the option to play with a full screen map layover etc.

The game makes me nostalgic because it reminds me of PS2 RPGs which is a genre I adored when a teenager, but have kinda disconnected from since. It reminds me of FFXII and PSO, really great vibes. Music so far is great, again, very PS2-like, it's a nostalgia trip.

The story so far has been nothing, but I'm intrigued about the lore and I want to know more. Characters are kinda bland, Shulk's VA really doesn't fit him, and I'm still confused why they decided to name the hero character you look up to Dunban lol I'm very early though, I'm sure they will grow on me.

I see this is the type of game with lots of systems to fiddle with and customize your party, and that's my kinda shit. Excited to play more tomorrow.
rubs hands together Yessssss, good, good!

A lot of this is spot on: It feels like a PS2 RPG mixed with MMOs (which is partially because it kind of is a PS2 RPG originally, since it came out in 2010 on the Wii), and the comparison to FF12 is one I always make as well. Some of the QoL stuff you mentioned was added in the DE, like the blue icons on the map.

The characters and plot will grow on you as it goes, most likely - Xenoblade is a marathon and can take a while to really get going and ramp up. So I'll say just be prepared for a long haul, and don't be too worried about doing every single little thing before advancing!

Just finished chapter 2 and... Wow.

I was not prepared for Fiora dying. Even if I didn't really care much about her as a character, the whole piece was very well executed, with Shulk seeing what would happen and not being able to do anything, I felt his anguish. Also, up until that point, every future glimpse he had enabled him to change course, so I was 100% expecting that to be the case here but then... It just wasn't. Very emotional story beat, and I'm fully invested into the game now.

(Why did Fiora had to take all my equipment with her, though 😭)

I'm very curious about the world, why the Mechon are attacking the Homs, what exactly is the Monado, why Shulk can control it and see the future, and why the Mechon ran away when they were winning the battle.

So excited to have a whole three games worth of this ahead of me lol

I was not prepared for Fiora dying. Even if I didn't really care much about her as a character, the whole piece was very well executed, with Shulk seeing what would happen and not being able to do anything, I felt his anguish. Also, up until that point, every future glimpse he had enabled him to change course, so I was 100% expecting that to be the case here but then... It just wasn't. Very emotional story beat, and I'm fully invested into the game now.

I'm very curious about the world, why the Mechon are attacking the Homs, what exactly is the Monado, why Shulk can control it and see the future, and why the Mechon ran away when they were winning the battle.

Oh so not only is this your first time playing the game but like... you have not been spoiler'd. 😮

Excellent. Fantastic. Please continue to update us, this is gonna be great.

I know nothing except that it's very horny and it features sword people and polyamory.
uhhhhh not this one at least. 😅
I mean it's a tiny bit horny in some places but nothing like the sequel

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Just finished chapter 5. Beat Xord's ass, then Metal face showed up to ruin the party, Dunban and uncle white pants rose again and had a badass moment but couldn't do shit anyway, until unidentified laser shooting bird thing saved the day! This game is SO HYPE!

Seriously, I don't think I've ever played a RPG with such stellar cutscenes, they're excellently directed and animated, I can't believe this was on the Wii! The story is super intriguing, I'm very invested into uncovering more about this world and what is happening, the true nature of the Mechon and why they're such assholes for no reason. A bunch of important looking people are also showing up in Shulk's visions and I wanna know who they are and why they have wings on their heads. The plot has a wonderful pacing of opening up little by little and showing us more about the world and how it works. I'm getting a lot of Attack on Titan vibes from the story, I wonder if there was any influence.

I also love how a lot of plot points are reflected into battle mechanics, like the Monado powers and Shulk's future visions. In 99% other games a character who is able to predict the future would get his ass killed by surprise in battle all the same, but not here. I also love how the affinity mechanics integrate so well with a battle system that is all about team work and cooperation. No one can do shit alone in Xenoblade, each character's strength only shines when working together with their mates. This is awesome.

uhhhhh not this one at least. 😅
I mean it's a tiny bit horny in some places but nothing like the sequel

Yeah, I was expecting a lot of horniness and cringe but I'm so surprised because there's like, none of it? Women are treated like any other characters, and yes, you can make them wear bikinis but so you can with the boys (and yes, I'm doing it with Reyn, he's best himbo). I haven't got even as much as any eyebrow raising moment, which is very surprising in an anime game in general, let alone one with Xenoblade's reputation. Maybe it's still gonna get bad, but so far I think people who defended XC2 saying XC1 is just as horny are probably misremembering the game.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're enjoying Xenoblade 1, it's probably the best Xenoblade for the reasons you describe. I genuinely cannot get enough of how the exploration/gameplay systems/story/themes all feed into each other. Compare and contrast XB1 with other RPGs that were coming out at the time, it's night and day.

Also Xenoblade was first revealed a year before the Attack on Titan manga started, so it'd be the other way around if anything.

Yeah, I was expecting a lot of horniness and cringe but I'm so surprised because there's like, none of it? Women are treated like any other characters, and yes, you can make them wear bikinis but so you can with the boys (and yes, I'm doing it with Reyn, he's best himbo). I haven't got even as much as any eyebrow raising moment, which is very surprising in an anime game in general, let alone one with Xenoblade's reputation. Maybe it's still gonna get bad, but so far I think people who defended XC2 saying XC1 is just as horny sound delusional.
That's mostly people highlighting how awful Sharla's outfits are.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Just finished chapter 5. Beat Xord's ass, then Metal face showed up to ruin the party, Dunban and uncle white pants rose again and had a badass moment but couldn't do shit anyway, until unidentified laser shooting bird thing saved the day! This game is SO HYPE!

Seriously, I don't think I've ever played a RPG with such stellar cutscenes, they're excellently directed and animated, I can't believe this was on the Wii! The story is super intriguing, I'm very invested into uncovering more about this world and what is happening, the true nature of the Mechon and why they're such assholes for no reason. A bunch of important looking people are also showing up in Shulk's visions and I wanna know who they are and why they have wings on their heads. The plot has a wonderful pacing of opening up little by little and showing us more about the world and how it works. I'm getting a lot of Attack on Titan vibes from the story, I wonder if there was any influence.

I also love how a lot of plot points are reflected into battle mechanics, like the Monado powers and Shulk's future visions. In 99% other games a character who is able to predict the future would get his ass killed by surprise in battle all the same, but not here. I also love how the affinity mechanics integrate so well with a battle system that is all about team work and cooperation. No one can do shit alone in Xenoblade, each character's strength only shines when working together with their mates. This is awesome.

Yeah, I was expecting a lot of horniness and cringe but I'm so surprised because there's like, none of it? Women are treated like any other characters, and yes, you can make them wear bikinis but so you can with the boys (and yes, I'm doing it with Reyn, he's best himbo). I haven't got even as much as any eyebrow raising moment, which is very surprising in an anime game in general, let alone one with Xenoblade's reputation. Maybe it's still gonna get bad, but so far I think people who defended XC2 saying XC1 is just as horny are probably misremembering the game.
Yeah in XC1 most of that stuff is in the outfits but they’re entirely optional. And also a few character designs, but it’s far more in the background and not nearly as in-your-face with it as XC2 is, especially in the first half of the game (and this is coming from a huge XC2 fan)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Re: the cutscene quality and direction:
This is the game that got me out of the funk of thinking "moar graficks = better." I played this on the Wii when it was fresh and was absolutely blown away by it. Sure the faces weren't great and the hands were... legos, but you can see where they spent the polygons: the incredible, sweeping vistas and the looming Mechonis always on the horizon. Absolutely incredible technical achievement, this game.

If you pay attention to stats there's even a benefit to the skimpier outfits! They're not just for show! Hiding this in case you wanna be totally blind, but this isn't story spoilers it's just a neat gameplay trick:
There's literally an entire cheese build called "Naked Dunban" because his naturally high base agility can be drastically enhanced with gems and swimsuits. You can get his agility to a point where practically zero enemy attacks will land on him, and since he's a tank he'll draw aggro and the enemies will focus on him while constantly swiping nothing but air. It's hilariously effective. I can't think of any other game where the fanservice costumes actually offered gameplay changes (that kinda make sense, even).

Thank god for the fashion slot in XCDE so you don’t have cutscenes with the girls in the worst combination of chainmail bikini-type armor and the guys all with giant non-matching colors of shoulder pads three times the size of their head

Thank god for the fashion slot in XCDE so you don’t have cutscenes with the girls in the worst combination of chainmail bikini-type armor and the guys all with giant non-matching colors of shoulder pads three times the size of their head
Honestly though tromping into an important meeting with your crew dressed half in platemail and half in tribal gear was a net plus to the experience.

The issue with XC2 is Monolith soft told a bunch of artists "go wild there's no restrictions or guidelines" and most artists are horny.
This was definitely part of the issue, but sadly it's also what I thought was cool about the Blades in XB2. When you go through them in the menu they show who the guest artist is and the guest VA and it ends up being sort of a little manga/anime museum in a way. There are some seriously legendary mangka who did character designs in that game, and it was all kinda goofed by the fact that A. a lot of the designs were indeed risque (if not outright exaggerated in proportions) and B. the modeling team didn't make adjustments for how those proportions would look in 3D, they just sorta brought them right over 1:1.

I actually showed a friend of mine the character art for Pyra and Mythra and she thought it was more tame than the in-game models. I mean she was making fun of me for I dunno how long when she saw Pyra in-game while I was playing, and at some point I eventually showed her Saito's drawings of her and Mythra and she literally said "Okay that's not as bad." Even though, like, it kinda is. I think it just comes across worse in 3D because of how.. 3D it all is. Which is too bad because it was a neat idea, just unfortunate execution.

I do appreciate that in XB3 it looks like someone told Saito to calm the eff down. He's actually a good designer when he's not Saito'ing everything up

Mythra's design is fine with the Smash outfit. Honestly the one I actively get mad about is Dahlia. Ugly bunny in-game, but her original concept art had her in a gorgeous dress that actually matches her southern belle theme.

Mythra's design is fine with the Smash outfit. Honestly the one I actively get mad about is Dahlia. Ugly bunny in-game, but her original concept art had her in a gorgeous dress that actually matches her southern belle theme.
Pyra's concept design was better IMO, too

we were robbed of greatness yall

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

I feel like the cutscene direction and cinematography is so underrated in all the Xeno games. So you're in for a treat with that no matter which one you play.

From the beginning.....to current day. Nothing has changed, in a good way.

anigif.gif
UW3Dfqj.gif
uPVsXZk.gif
02aYxCR.gif
BesJgAC.gif
LHOxh8D.gif

And when it comes to anime influences, all the Xeno games are heavily influenced by 1970/1980/1990's mecha anime that most people aren't going to get the influence and references to.

It's always fun to see someone new to the series thoughts and experience. Hopefully you end up enjoying the series. Faults and all!

Ohhh so that's why I didn't notice anything. I'm only using the appearance slots, and dressing my characters in what I think is coolest. Sharla currently has pants and big ass boots. It's Reyn that is kinda naked.

Oh, this takes me back to late Summer 2011. How I wish I could relive it again for the first time. I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much, please keep us posted.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Cutscene direction in Xenoblade is amazing indeed. It will only get even better in the next games, you'll see.

Xenoblade was released less than a year after the first AoT manga, but as someone else said, it was revealed before, so it's probably a coincidence if not the other way around.

As for the cringe aspects, it's mainly some costumes for Sharla and a few other female designs. Fortunately, the fashion slot helps big time. This aspect gets unfortunately worse in XC2, but the game is amazing in spite of that.

Oh so not only is this your first time playing the game but like... you have not been spoiler'd. 😮

Excellent. Fantastic. Please continue to update us, this is gonna be great.
Yes, can't wait to read his impressions as he plays through the saga.

Saito did have a massive glow-up from XB2 to XB3 - at least in terms of the designs being a bit more accessible and less off-putting.

One of my main bugbears with Pyra and Mythra is how their designs basically led to any virtues they had as characters - and I think they do have some, particularly Mythra - basically being thrown to the wayside.

People saying that XB1 only has outfits problems are tempting me to put all the ass shots the game has, there's no clearly boobs shots cus there's not enough boobs aside from Vanea and Linada's head :p

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Maybe I could kindly suggest you try to forget those forum fights about XC1-XC2, horniness, anime tropes and such and just enjoy the games forming your own vision? :) The characters, music, choreography, cut-scenes and lore are even better in each subsequent Xenoblade game so it doesn’t make sense to entry this franchise with this baggage, IMO. You‘re in for a wild ride and it’d be a shame to be tainted by forum wars and vocal minorities bitching one game or another. You’ll thank me, I assure you.

So glad about your impressions so far, keep us updated!

Finally got an update for the Mio figure, she turned out great! Hopefully pre-orders open up soon.

Also got a prototype for a Eunie figma, was hoping for a Noah but hopefully this means they do Xeno figma.

They both look great and wish I could afford everything lol I'll have to stick with one or two of these for now.

But here's some things that were missed!

Weltall from Xenogears is also getting a new figure!

Xenogears OST has been officially released by Square for Youtube, Spotify, and Apple!

And they showed off Barts new figure!

This is a suspicious amount of new Xeno content within the last few days.

They both look great and wish I could afford everything lol I'll have to stick with one or two of these for now.

Xenogears OST has been officially released by Square for Youtube, Spotify, and Apple!

February seems to be Xeno month at this point lol

was hoping for a Noah
A Figma (or any kind of merchandise in general beyond amiibo) of a male Xenoblade character?! Ha! In your dreams, maybe.

For real, I’ve been wanting a Rex figure of some kind for years now, but clearly we’re never getting one… =(

As beloved as Xenogears is in Japan I can't help but question SE's continuous release of XG merch but without making the actual game available on modern platforms

Mio figma this month, Mio scale later in the year and now Eunie figma next year (I assume it'll be out next year)

You love to see it

Xenogears OST on spotify is hype, fucking finally

As beloved as Xenogears is in Japan I can't help but question SE's continuous release of XG merch but without making the actual game available on modern platforms

please be excited for the brand new Xenogears collab in insert random gacha

Happy anniversary to the Whole Damn Thing

Machine translation:
"February 11, 1998: The day "Xenogears" was released. It was a very edgy piece for Square at the time. There were a lot of trials and errors, including a movie using voice actors, battle sounds, Square's first vocal song, etc., and I have many fond memories of it, but even now, 26 years later, it has become a work that remains in the memories of many people. I think it was good."

"What was the hardest part about Xenogears? About two days before the presentation, I was given the opening video and was asked to put music on it right away, so I composed it, but once the song was completed, I had to play it on the development equipment. When I tried it, there was a huge lag between the music and the video (about 1 minute), why? ? why? ? I still remember when my head went blank. When I listened carefully, I realized that the frame rate that the movie team told me was wrong, and I have bitter memories of having to fix it while crying along with the sound effects."

Happy anniversary to the Whole Damn Thing

Machine translation:
"February 11, 1998: The day "Xenogears" was released. It was a very edgy piece for Square at the time. There were a lot of trials and errors, including a movie using voice actors, battle sounds, Square's first vocal song, etc., and I have many fond memories of it, but even now, 26 years later, it has become a work that remains in the memories of many people. I think it was good."

"What was the hardest part about Xenogears? About two days before the presentation, I was given the opening video and was asked to put music on it right away, so I composed it, but once the song was completed, I had to play it on the development equipment. When I tried it, there was a huge lag between the music and the video (about 1 minute), why? ? why? ? I still remember when my head went blank. When I listened carefully, I realized that the frame rate that the movie team told me was wrong, and I have bitter memories of having to fix it while crying along with the sound effects."

Oh cool! I didn't realize. Man, crazy to think about how this was the same year as Ocarina of Time.

Even though I know it's early, I still hope we get some kind of tease or small trailer or something for whatever the next Xeno game is in the Switch 2 reveal. It'd be the perfect way to show off the system's graphics and whatever magic Monolith has cooking.

Even though I know it's early, I still hope we get some kind of tease or small trailer or something for whatever the next Xeno game is in the Switch 2 reveal. It'd be the perfect way to show off the system's graphics and whatever magic Monolith has cooking.
Given how instrumental RPGs have been for Nintendo’s handheld systems for decades now, I’d be shocked if Monolith doesn’t have anything to show at the reveal. I’m sure Square-Enix and SegAtlus will be there too, along with TPC.

Given how instrumental RPGs have been for Nintendo’s handheld systems for decades now, I’d be shocked if Monolith doesn’t have anything to show at the reveal. I’m sure Square-Enix and SegAtlus will be there too, along with TPC.
I was thinking the same. Look back at the Switch initial reveal and how RPG-heavy it is with stuff like Octopath, Xenoblade 2, and SMTV.

Is Future Redeemed worth it for someone who has only really played through the third game? I'm looking for something to play after I finish Advance Wars and I really enjoyed XC3, but I don't know if I want to put up $30 for a DLC. Trying to decide whether this or Metroid Prime Remastered would be a good pick.

Is Future Redeemed worth it for someone who has only really played through the third game? I'm looking for something to play after I finish Advance Wars and I really enjoyed XC3, but I don't know if I want to put up $30 for a DLC. Trying to decide whether this or Metroid Prime Remastered would be a good pick.
Both are great picks but Future Redeemed is way more important for XC3's story than torna was for 2's or future connected for 1's

edit: I missed the part where you said you didn't play 1/2. In this case I'd wait to play 1/2 before future redeemed

Last edited:
Honestly, no. Basically every beat of the plot expects that you recognize and care about people and places from the first two games. If you don't you're going to feel that a lot of the big moments feel unearned or lack obvious context.

Future Redeemed is good, but it is meant as something of a capstone for the trilogy. Unlike the base game, it makes very heavy reference to the plots of 1 and 2, and you'd probably be somewhat lost without that context.

Imagine if this next rumored Partner Direct reveals a Xenogears 2D-HD Remake using an evolved Star Ocean Remake engine… ❤️😻

Imagine if this next rumored Partner Direct reveals a Xenogears 2D-HD Remake using an evolved Star Ocean Remake engine… ❤️😻
Genuinely can't see Xenogears ever getting that much of an overhaul, for the same reason that Bamco isn't really interested in doing a high-level Xenosaga rework. If they're going to recreate the games from the ground up anyway, they're going to want to fix the games to avoid releasing unfinished products like Xenogears and Xenosaga 2. That means getting Monolithsoft onboard. Monolithsoft works for Nintendo, so Nintendo's price would be (console) exclusivity, and neither Bamco or Square-Enix are doing Nintendo console exclusives these days. If they don't bring Monolithsoft onboard, they're more likely to release just a straight port, which alienates some of the potential audience ("what do you mean the game isn't finished?") and some of the old fans ("No Takahashi no buy").

Moreover, putting real money into marketing the remakes ends up benefiting Nintendo more than it does SE or Bamco. Neither Gears nor Saga is a living brand that will get further entries, while Xenoblade is. I think this is actually the real dealbreaker, neither company wants to do free marketing for future Xenoblade games, even if they had execs who believed in the brands they own.

Genuinely can't see Xenogears ever getting that much of an overhaul, for the same reason that Bamco isn't really interested in doing a high-level Xenosaga rework. If they're going to recreate the games from the ground up anyway, they're going to want to fix the games to avoid releasing unfinished products like Xenogears and Xenosaga 2. That means getting Monolithsoft onboard. Monolithsoft works for Nintendo, so Nintendo's price would be (console) exclusivity, and neither Bamco or Square-Enix are doing Nintendo console exclusives these days. If they don't bring Monolithsoft onboard, they're more likely to release just a straight port, which alienates some of the potential audience ("what do you mean the game isn't finished?") and some of the old fans ("No Takahashi no buy").

Moreover, putting real money into marketing the remakes ends up benefiting Nintendo more than it does SE or Bamco. Neither Gears nor Saga is a living brand that will get further entries, while Xenoblade is. I think this is actually the real dealbreaker, neither company wants to do free marketing for future Xenoblade games, even if they had execs who believed in the brands they own.
If Bandai Namco could be convinced to do a bargain bin port of Baten Kaitos duology (something that was a hard Nintendo exclusive due to the second game), they can probably be convinced to do one for Xenosaga, too. At least one of the unlocalized bits even stands a pretty good chance of inclusion because it's functionally a short manga (maybe closer to a motion comic?) and is fairly well preserved on the Internet.

As for Square, they're an enigma that I don't dare attempt to predict.

If Bandai Namco could be convinced to do a bargain bin port of Baten Kaitos duology (something that was a hard Nintendo exclusive due to the second game), they can probably be convinced to do one for Xenosaga, too. At least one of the unlocalized bits even stands a pretty good chance of inclusion because it's functionally a short manga (maybe closer to a motion comic?) and is fairly well preserved on the Internet.

As for Square, they're an enigma that I don't dare attempt to predict.
Yes that's exactly what I mean. The most that either company might decide to do is a straight port with some (actually great) quality of life features, but no content, script, or engine changes, which is what a HD-2D Xenogears remake would call for.

I will of course be thrilled if it turns out that Team Asano's been doing just that since they finished Octopath 2 last year, but somehow I doubt it.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. The most that either company might decide to do is a straight port with some (actually great) quality of life features, but no content, script, or engine changes, which is what a HD-2D Xenogears remake would call for.

I will of course be thrilled if it turns out that Team Asano's been doing just that since they finished Octopath 2 last year, but somehow I doubt it.
Ah, yeah, for some reason I misread your post as being more negative on the prospects than it actually was.

Square-Enix seems pretty happy doing those 2D-HD remakes lately. This doesn’t mean they need MSI on board if they’re just making a clone of the original game just with the new engine and maybe remaster the soundtrack. At this point from a Xenogears standpoint I’d be happy with just a straight port of the PSX or Vita version of the game, even without a new translation, but that doesn’t mean there’s 0 chance seeing something more without going full “completely new remake with AAA budget and second disc content Soraya and Takahashi writing yadda yadda”. In any case I was just dreaming awake. The case for Namco and Xenosaga is completely different in so many ways that can’t be compared (this port is way more probable).

I've been making slow progress because last week was carnival here in Brazil and because there's so much side exploration to do in the game that it's hard to focus on moving on (but that's a good thing!).

I'm feeling like this will be a 100h game for me, I'm having a blast exploring the environments, and it's crazy how huge they are. I still can't believe this is a Wii (and 3DS!) game. It feels like the modern JRPG I've been missing since FFXII came out. No unnecessary open world bullshit, just beautifully crafted huge open areas that are always evolving. There's always something new to do in past areas, be it new quests, monsters you couldn't beat before, or heart-to-hearts you haven't seen yet.

I've seen a lot of criticism on how bad the side quests are in this game, but honestly I don't agree. I think they're perfect to lure you into exploring and always feel like you're making progress. Maybe on the Wii they weren't streamlined enough, but in DE they work very seamlessly, you just look for those exclamation points and get your reward immediately, it's quite addictive.

I've also been experimenting with different party formations. I had been playing mostly with Shulk-Reyn-Dunban, but now I have a party of 6 and I've realized I don't even need to be controlling Shulk all the time. The various systems like break/topple/daze, aggro, aura etc makes for a lot of synergy possibilities between different characters, and it's fun to experiment with the results. I'm continuously impressed by how intricate and yet elegant the battle mechanics are while being so different from basically any other RPG I've played before. It's clear it could only have been crafted by a team of experienced veterans like Monolith.

As for the story, I met Melia and Riki and am currently on my way to fight the Telethia. So far I really like Melia, her not being one note is very nice (and rare) in JRPGs, I like how she's slowly opening up to the party. Riki... Seems like he's positioned to be nothing more than the mascot of the game, which is alright, but why did his voice had to be so annoying. I'm pretty sure this is a localization problem, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the Nopon in general were likely voiced by children and women in Japan, with the intent of making them cute, but of course the western world can't have cute, can we. Most of them have these weird high pitched voices that are supposed to be funny but just end up being off putting. Oh well, at least the other characters voices are mostly great.

I've been making slow progress because last week was carnival here in Brazil and because there's so much side exploration to do in the game that it's hard to focus on moving on (but that's a good thing!).

I'm feeling like this will be a 100h game for me, I'm having a blast exploring the environments, and it's crazy how huge they are. I still can't believe this is a Wii (and 3DS!) game. It feels like the modern JRPG I've been missing since FFXII came out. No unnecessary open world bullshit, just beautifully crafted huge open areas that are always evolving. There's always something new to do in past areas, be it new quests, monsters you couldn't beat before, or heart-to-hearts you haven't seen yet.

I've seen a lot of criticism on how bad the side quests are in this game, but honestly I don't agree. I think they're perfect to lure you into exploring and always feel like you're making progress. Maybe on the Wii they weren't streamlined enough, but in DE they work very seamlessly, you just look for those exclamation points and get your reward immediately, it's quite addictive.

I've also been experimenting with different party formations. I had been playing mostly with Shulk-Reyn-Dunban, but now I have a party of 6 and I've realized I don't even need to be controlling Shulk all the time. The various systems like break/topple/daze, aggro, aura etc makes for a lot of synergy possibilities between different characters, and it's fun to experiment with the results. I'm continuously impressed by how intricate and yet elegant the battle mechanics are while being so different from basically any other RPG I've played before. It's clear it could only have been crafted by a team of experienced veterans like Monolith.

As for the story, I met Melia and Riki and am currently on my way to fight the Telethia. So far I really like Melia, her not being one note is very nice (and rare) in JRPGs, I like how she's slowly opening up to the party. Riki... Seems like he's positioned to be nothing more than the mascot of the game, which is alright, but why did his voice had to be so annoying. I'm pretty sure this is a localization problem, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the Nopon in general were likely voiced by children and women in Japan, with the intent of making them cute, but of course the western world can't have cute, can we. Most of them have these weird high pitched voices that are supposed to be funny but just end up being off putting. Oh well, at least the other characters voices are mostly great.
Re: Riki, you pretty much nailed it. His voice in Japanese sounds basically like a kid. Absolutely nothing like what they went with in English.

Re: sidequests, they didn't really change much from the Wii to the Switch, except that on the Wii version they don't mark the map of give you arrows to find the NPCs or anything. So when you talk about just following the arrows, imagine not having them. 😅 But I like the sidequests because they take you to areas of the map that you might've otherwise missed, and exploring the expansive areas are part of what hooked me in this game, so glad you're enjoying going after them!

Also DON'T READ THIS PART LEO
He said "now I have a party of 6" and I was like
Screen_Shot_2019-02-26_at_3.38.50_PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom