• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Xeno Series Community |ST|

it's funny how Xenoblade 3 revealed to me that the only way to make me not actively dislike Nopon party members is to not only not give them a RIki voice but go all the way to the other extreme and give them a comically deep one

Riki's voice is annoying, but it (and he) both kind of grow on you over the course of the game. There's a lot more depth to him than you would expect - even if some of it is subtle or hidden away in heart to hearts and side stuff.

the only good nopon are Kino and Nene and Riku

and the goat

Xenoblade_chronicles_x_e3_2014_tatsu.png

honestly, the ending ruined riku for me. as it did a lot of characters. bah

it's funny how Xenoblade 3 revealed to me that the only way to make me not actively dislike Nopon party members is to not only not give them a RIki voice but go all the way to the other extreme and give them a comically deep one
And also, to not make them lunatics that have zero grip on reality.

Oh my god, the cutscene direction in this game is absolutely INSANE. Might be the best I've ever seen in a game?

I just finished chapter 10, Dunban vs Mumkhar was HYPE! Dunban is so badass in spite of his name lol Fiora was revealed to be alive which I was suspecting, now I'm curious if she's gonna be back at the party eventually or will be the final boss lol Gotta be either.

I like everyone in the party now, even Riki, the little guy grew on me and now I think he's hilarious. Fighting with him is super fun, and he's great to increase party affinity, just a fluffy ball of happiness. Sharla is by far the blandest character. I don't dislike her, but it really feels like she's just there. Her not being very useful doesn't help either, her main function seems to be healing but like... There's almost no need to heal, especially when you start getting healing arts gems. I basically never use her. Melia on the other hand is a monster, her summons both buff up the party and deal a lot of damage. She's my favorite character to have in the party all around.

The plot is getting more and more convoluted, but it's still accessible and grounded, which I can't say about most JRPGs I've played. I'm consistently invested in what's going to happen, and I look forward to every cutscene explaining more, whereas in other games I just want to skip them.

I guess I'm a Xenoblade fan now? Send help before I buy one of those hugging pillows.

Oh my god, the cutscene direction in this game is absolutely INSANE. Might be the best I've ever seen in a game?

I just finished chapter 10, Dunban vs Mumkhar was HYPE! Dunban is so badass in spite of his name lol Fiora was revealed to be alive which I was suspecting, now I'm curious if she's gonna be back at the party eventually or will be the final boss lol Gotta be either.

I like everyone in the party now, even Riki, the little guy grew on me and now I think he's hilarious. Fighting with him is super fun, and he's great to increase party affinity, just a fluffy ball of happiness. Sharla is by far the blandest character. I don't dislike her, but it really feels like she's just there. Her not being very useful doesn't help either, her main function seems to be healing but like... There's almost no need to heal, especially when you start getting healing arts gems. I basically never use her. Melia on the other hand is a monster, her summons both buff up the party and deal a lot of damage. She's my favorite character to have in the party all around.

The plot is getting more and more convoluted, but it's still accessible and grounded, which I can't say about most JRPGs I've played. I'm consistently invested in what's going to happen, and I look forward to every cutscene explaining more, whereas in other games I just want to skip them.

I guess I'm a Xenoblade fan now? Send help before I buy one of those hugging pillows.
yessssssssssss 😁

Cutscene direction is one of the most underappreciated aspects of the Xeno games. Glad to see it appreciated ❤️

Cutscene direction is one of the most underappreciated aspects of the Xeno games. Glad to see it appreciated ❤️
I have been playing through the Xenosaga episodes and I am on episode 3 now.
The cutscene direction is great in those games too, it has really impressed me.

The cutscene direction is already great in Xeno 1, then it has a big step up to Xeno 2 (and the music is timed really well with it!), and then cutscenes in Xeno 3 are just phenomenal. Great to see how they improve with every game.

(err... except for XCX. Those cutscenes not so much, especially with stuff like music selection and audio balancing)

I have been playing through the Xenosaga episodes and I am on episode 3 now.
The cutscene direction is great in those games too, it has really impressed me.
Oh, definitely.

cAuaqVu.gif
HXqtACD.gif

Even battle animations are ridiculously cinematic.

eijofuE.gif
j9GU27h.gif

The cutscene direction is already great in Xeno 1, then it has a big step up to Xeno 2 (and the music is timed really well with it!), and then cutscenes in Xeno 3 are just phenomenal. Great to see how they improve with every game.

(err... except for XCX. Those cutscenes not so much, especially with stuff like music selection and audio balancing)
While X may not have as many as other Xeno games, I feel the few mech/battle scenes we get were excellent.

Not too spoiler-y. They show a lot of this scene in trailers.

The big problem with X was the audio mixing. Which should be entirely fixable via slider in any rerelease.

I think I've said it elsewhere but I genuinely believe a XCX updated rerelease will be an early Switch 2 game.

The big problem with X was the audio mixing. Which should be entirely fixable via slider in any rerelease.

I think I've said it elsewhere but I genuinely believe a XCX updated rerelease will be an early Switch 2 game.
I just wanna know how they'd handle all the Miiverse integration if they do an updated XBX. Would they build a game-specific solution (like Splatoon 2 did) or would they go with the holy-shit option and just remake part of the game to have it be more like the pre-MMO version (where the player character was actually a voiced character with an arc and the narrative took more of a front seat)?

Of course option 2 can probably be filed next to "a Xenogears rerelease with Disc 2 fleshed out as intended" in the drawer labelled "Things I'd love (but will never receive) from Monolith."

I just wanna know how they'd handle all the Miiverse integration if they do an updated XBX. Would they build a game-specific solution (like Splatoon 2 did) or would they go with the holy-shit option and just remake part of the game to have it be more like the pre-MMO version (where the player character was actually a voiced character with an arc and the narrative took more of a front seat)?

Of course option 2 can probably be filed next to "a Xenogears rerelease with Disc 2 fleshed out as intended" in the drawer labelled "Things I'd love (but will never receive) from Monolith."
Just strip it out entirely. They can still do pseudo-online, but there's no need for Miiverse.

I swear I read an article with Takahashi saying something about a suplexing robot, does anyone remember it? I can't find it

It's Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht's 22nd anniversary!

It was my first, and still favorite, Xeno game.

Here's is the very first trailer ever released for it......it's just a bunch of words with Bulgarian music in the background!

But here's a full translation of everything in order.

SO0gCda.png

goddamn this game needs to come to a system people besides me actually own
We just need hope and patience.

I swear I read an article with Takahashi saying something about a suplexing robot, does anyone remember it? I can't find it
A robot suplexing something sounds like it would be Xenogears, but I can't think of any specific interviews.

Thanks to the recent eShop sale I finally got round to playing Future Redeemed. What a great "little" quest. One thing I really loved about it was the world map itself and the incentives it gave to explore the world. Only thing I'd add is they marked off almost everything expect for some of the upgrade items you could find which made finding the final few a case of running around waiting for the tracker to beep, since I had no clue which area on this huge map they could be in to narrow it down. Of course this is Xenoblade so who know what QOL features will make it to the next game.

I played most of X after Miiverse was shut down (meaning every time I booted the game I had to read an error message). I didn't feel I was missing anything. The other online components were still working like gaining points for your chosen guild (which at the time was pretty much busted with only one guild being the clear choice as they were number one every day lol).

I played most of X after Miiverse was shut down (meaning every time I booted the game I had to read an error message). I didn't feel I was missing anything. The other online components were still working like gaining points for your chosen guild (which at the time was pretty much busted with only one guild being the clear choice as they were number one every day lol).
Yeah I did one playthrough before and one after and it was essentially the same experience for me (except that I found a bunch of places I didn't find the second time around because the game is immense). So if they just axed the online stuff I certainly wouldn't miss it, I just have a hard time believing they'd make a "Definitive Edition" that's missing a bunch of content. Unless they go with my "holy shit" option and remove it while adding back in the narrative-focused stuff they cut out in development when shifting it into an MMO. 😅

I think XC2 actually sticking to its 720p/30fps target on back-compat mode (assuming its indeed a thing) would do wonders for the game.

Unfortunately i don't expect Monolith to revisit the game, even for a patch, anytime soon.

Yeah for XC2 even if they do literally nothing to it other than the power of the Switch 2 keeping the resolution and framerate rock-solid it'll be wonderful. Sure I'd like if they did more of a next-gen upgrade but I don't expect that to happen - it'd be fine just like that.

Yeah for XC2 even if they do literally nothing to it other than the power of the Switch 2 keeping the resolution and framerate rock-solid it'll be wonderful. Sure I'd like if they did more of a next-gen upgrade but I don't expect that to happen - it'd be fine just like that.
I just want 1080p, that's all. If they could just pull off 1080p for the whole trilogy (without upscaling, because that really goofs the outlines in XB3) then I'd be happy. Those vistas and especially XB2's wild weather effects deserve it.

@Leo making any more progress?

Yeah, I think I'm approaching the endgame. The Mechonis was awakened, and the party is preparing to confront Egil in the core. That feels like it might be the point of no return, so I'm finishing up some quests before moving forward.

The narrative and cutscenes continue to be great, and I'm excited to find out how it wraps up. Fiora did become a party member after all and she's great, I'm mainly playing as her right now. I love her voice acting so much I'm almost questioning my sexuality lol I can't help but feel sorry for Melia, though, I really like her and it feels like her role in the game kind ended halfway through the story? Now my girl is just suffering through her heartbreak and it's sad :( Sharla also got her conclusion with Gadolta sacrifice and I'm happy for her because Reyn is much cuter and nicer anyway. You can probably figure I'm kind of invested into the romances in this game which is surprising for me as well lol The characters just have very good chemistry and I can't help but root for them to be happy in the end.

One complaint I have is that I feel like the combat peaked kinda early, since Fiora was introduced, there hasn't been any major changes to how I play the game. It's still great, but it gets a bit repetitive with time. I like that the affinity system encourages you to rotate between party members and I'm doing that, but other than that there's just no reason to use anyone other than Shulk/Fiora/Melia with Sharla switching in for more challe going battles. I know a lot of people use Dunban and Riki as well, but what I mean is, the enemies don't really require you to try different combinations that much, so you tend to play with the same formation always.

I've been doing a fuckton of side quests (they never end lol), maxing affinity a d watching all heart to hearts and I'm starting to burn out a bit on the side content, so I might concentrate in moving forward to beat the game soon. Still having a blast, definitely the best RPG I've played on the Switch.

Yeah, I think I'm approaching the endgame. The Mechonis was awakened, and the party is preparing to confront Egil in the core. That feels like it might be the point of no return, so I'm finishing up some quests before moving forward.

The narrative and cutscenes continue to be great, and I'm excited to find out how it wraps up. Fiora did become a party member after all and she's great, I'm mainly playing as her right now. I love her voice acting so much I'm almost questioning my sexuality lol I can't help but feel sorry for Melia, though, I really like her and it feels like her role in the game kind ended halfway through the story? Now my girl is just suffering through her heartbreak and it's sad :( Sharla also got her conclusion with Gadolta sacrifice and I'm happy for her because Reyn is much cuter and nicer anyway. You can probably figure I'm kind of invested into the romances in this game which is surprising for me as well lol The characters just have very good chemistry and I can't help but root for them to be happy in the end.

One complaint I have is that I feel like the combat peaked kinda early, since Fiora was introduced, there hasn't been any major changes to how I play the game. It's still great, but it gets a bit repetitive with time. I like that the affinity system encourages you to rotate between party members and I'm doing that, but other than that there's just no reason to use anyone other than Shulk/Fiora/Melia with Sharla switching in for more challe going battles. I know a lot of people use Dunban and Riki as well, but what I mean is, the enemies don't really require you to try different combinations that much, so you tend to play with the same formation always.

I've been doing a fuckton of side quests (they never end lol), maxing affinity a d watching all heart to hearts and I'm starting to burn out a bit on the side content, so I might concentrate in moving forward to beat the game soon. Still having a blast, definitely the best RPG I've played on the Switch.
So you're excited for Seven (what we call Mecha Fiora to keep from spoiling it) and disappointed that Melia was just sorta dropped partway through. You sound like a legit Xenoblade fan now 🤣

Also yeah, you're gonna want to finish up any sidequests you want to finish before going into the Core. Good call there.

Keep us updated!! I wanna hear your thoughts on the coming events!

Last edited:
Well, uh, some wild shit went down.

So you're excited for Seven (what we call Mecha Fiora to keep from spoiling it) and disappointed that Melia was just sorta dropped partway through. You sound like a legit Xenoblade fan now 🤣

Maybe that's why they had that polyamory quadrouple going in XC3? that way everyone (the fans and all four parts involved) is happy lol

THE late game story events in Xenoblade 1 are probably one of the most overwhelming and relentless sequences of any game. It's just nonstop "That escalated quickly" one after another. Despite all of the gameplay improvements made in 2 and 3, I think those scenes alone still put Xenoblade 1 the top of the rankings.

THE late game story events in Xenoblade 1 are probably one of the most overwhelming and relentless sequences of any game. It's just nonstop "That escalated quickly" one after another. Despite all of the gameplay improvements made in 2 and 3, I think those scenes alone still put Xenoblade 1 the top of the rankings.
Yeah XB1's story is what continues to have it soaring above the other games in my rankings. Also IMO the most compelling execution of the titan idea as well.

In case anyone is interested.....the Kickstarter for the OFFICIALLY (licensed by Bandai Namco) Xenosaga Epsiode I piano collection is live! And pretty much already funded.

This sure came out of nowhere, didn't it? We're getting a surprising amount of Xenosaga content in the past 3 months :unsure:

1538b7fe35016a2b313fe1d4c5cd72c6_original.jpg

Supposing there is a new Xenosaga release, how would that work out? Would it be like Baten Kaitos where the games are ported by an outside studio for a remaster, or would Bamco work closer with Nintendo and Monolith Soft on it for a remake?

Supposing there is a new Xenosaga release, how would that work out? Would it be like Baten Kaitos where the games are ported by an outside studio for a remaster, or would Bamco work closer with Nintendo and Monolith Soft on it for a remake?
IIRC there was a rumor going around a year or two ago that Bamco were considering a Xenosaga remaster and ended up canning it. So if, big damn if, it eventually gets done, I'd expect them to outsource it for a BK-style remaster.

I'd be happy for them to prove me wrong though.

Yeah XB1's story is what continues to have it soaring above the other games in my rankings. Also IMO the most compelling execution of the titan idea as well.
The impact of XB1's story for me was how tightly it was interconnected with the nature of the world. Seeing a wide open-world RPG back in the seventh generation was mind-blowing, and on a Nintendo console no less! And just being able to roam around on the body of these two massive beings while later learning that there's even more to the picture, with the story culminating in its own cosmic vision of existence left an impression on my small mind that never will go away. I feel like 2 and 3, while being great games, just never captured that feeling as well. Admittedly, I still need to play X.

Bamco's recent history with ports of that vintage definitely leans towards farming out a fairly cheap port (which will inexplicably struggle to maintain its framerate on Switch).

Just rolled credits. What an amazing ending! One of the most exciting and fulfilling endings I've seen in a game. It's both a perfect conclusion for the story and a cliffhanger that makes you wonder what's up with that world and what's next.

In fact, I loved how the scale of the story kept growing and growing. You start just like Shulk, having basically 0 knowledge of the world outside Colony 9, and as you go, the scope gets bigger and bigger, first the farthest regions of Bio is, then the Mechonis, then the revelation Bionis was the "villain" all along, and then, in the end, you find out this world was actually our own universe once, which creates a million different possibilities. Alvis being an AI that was involved in the destruction and recreation of the universe is such an amazing plot twist. I love everything about this.

What I'm most curious about now is, how is the new world Shulk and the others created shaped? The two titans are gone as we can't see them in the horizon anymore (and it's not on the title screen either, great touch), so what is it now, a globe like earth? I'm excited to play Future Connected to find out, although I have a hunch it might not get explained there. I'm also wondering where the sequels connect to the game. My understanding now is that the entire world of Xenoblade 2 was just created? That's so interesting.

Had a great time with the game, what a wonderful experience. It does have some shortcomings here and there, but overall the package is absolutely impressive, especially when you consider it was originally on the Wii. I'm gonna take a break and play something else, but will shortly return to play Future Connected. Already bought XC2 as well lol I guess I'm in for the long run now.

Just rolled credits. What an amazing ending! One of the most exciting and fulfilling endings I've seen in a game. It's both a perfect conclusion for the story and a cliffhanger that makes you wonder what's up with that world and what's next.

In fact, I loved how the scale of the story kept growing and growing. You start just like Shulk, having basically 0 knowledge of the world outside Colony 9, and as you go, the scope gets bigger and bigger, first the farthest regions of Bio is, then the Mechonis, then the revelation Bionis was the "villain" all along, and then, in the end, you find out this world was actually our own universe once, which creates a million different possibilities. Alvis being an AI that was involved in the destruction and recreation of the universe is such an amazing plot twist. I love everything about this.
yes to all this. Landmark: Saturn was the moment I realized this would be one of my favorite games of all time. I was absolutely biting my nails from that point all the way to the end of the game. Unmatched worldbuilding/story achievement imo.

What I'm most curious about now is, how is the new world Shulk and the others created shaped? The two titans are gone as we can't see them in the horizon anymore (and it's not on the title screen either, great touch), so what is it now, a globe like earth? I'm excited to play Future Connected to find out, although I have a hunch it might not get explained there. I'm also wondering where the sequels connect to the game.
I always interpreted this sequence to mean the new world was round:

@24:32 if the timestamp doesnt work

My understanding now is that the entire world of Xenoblade 2 was just created? That's so interesting.
. . .okay now you're gonna have to keep us updated during that playthrough as well. 😅

Genuine spoilers for what the world of 2 is exactly, though I recommend just playing 2 and experiencing it yourself.
The world of 2 is what remains of the planet that Klaus destroyed when activating the Zohar The Conduit in his experiment. In order to atone for his slight miscalculation which resulted in destroying the planet, he covers the world in a sea of clouds so that it could be repaired over eons of time, which results in the creation of Alrest.

Curious what you'll think of 2 in the end, the final product is a bit of a mess. But its story is just... Give me more of that please!

yes to all this. Landmark: Saturn was the moment I realized this would be one of my favorite games of all time. I was absolutely biting my nails from that point all the way to the end of the game. Unmatched worldbuilding/story achievement imo.

. . .okay now you're gonna have to keep us updated during that playthrough as well. 😅

I'm pretty sure Xenoblade 3 sort of confirms that the world created at the end of 1 is a typical Earth-like planet.

I'm pretty sure Xenoblade 3 sort of confirms that the world created at the end of 1 is a typical Earth-like planet.
yeah but Leo hasn't gotten to XB3 yet so I didn't wanna reference it 😅
Edit: LEO DO NOT READ THIS 🤣

Last edited:

What I'm most curious about now is, how is the new world Shulk and the others created shaped? The two titans are gone as we can't see them in the horizon anymore (and it's not on the title screen either, great touch), so what is it now, a globe like earth? I'm excited to play Future Connected to find out, although I have a hunch it might not get explained there. I'm also wondering where the sequels connect to the game. My understanding now is that the entire world of Xenoblade 2 was just created? That's so interesting.

Had a great time with the game, what a wonderful experience. It does have some shortcomings here and there, but overall the package is absolutely impressive, especially when you consider it was originally on the Wii. I'm gonna take a break and play something else, but will shortly return to play Future Connected. Already bought XC2 as well lol I guess I'm in for the long run now.
Actually, about the world in the ending. It does show what happened.

The Bionis collapsed and fell apart into the sea. When the camera zooms out at the end when Fiora and Shulk are on the beach, that's the head of the Bionis. Same with the new title screen, it's the head of the Bionis. So seemingly, the world stayed the same, the Titans just fell apart and they're living on the ruins of them.

Actually, about the world in the ending. It does show what happened.

The Bionis collapsed and fell apart into the sea. When the camera zooms out at the end when Fiora and Shulk are on the beach, that's the head of the Bionis. Same with the new title screen, it's the head of the Bionis. So seemingly, the world stayed the same, the Titans just fell apart and they're living on the ruins of them.
That's not quite right. Full ending and setting spoilers:

When Reyn hits the water in the ending of XB1 he's appalled to find that it's salty. The world of the two gods had a fresh water ocean, because it was a micro universe composed of water and ether, and didn't follow the normal laws of physics. Like, the stars in the sky and the sun are just blobs of ether, which is why shadows don't move. Their sun is stationary and sits between and above the Mechonis and Bionis.

When Shulk commands the Monado to make a new world, it creates a new physical universe based on our "normal" physics. The physical features of Bionis (and presumably the remains of Mechonis) were integrated into the new landmasses, which is why Makna Forest wasn't crushed by Eryth Sea as Eryth Sea came to rest next to Colony 6.

Ooooh you're right! I had missed that.

This universe is so interesting. I'm itching to read all the spoilers, but I'll leave them for after I finish the series haha

That's not quite right. Full ending and setting spoilers:

When Reyn hits the water in the ending of XB1 he's appalled to find that it's salty. The world of the two gods had a fresh water ocean, because it was a micro universe composed of water and ether, and didn't follow the normal laws of physics. Like, the stars in the sky and the sun are just blobs of ether, which is why shadows don't move. Their sun is stationary and sits between and above the Mechonis and Bionis.

When Shulk commands the Monado to make a new world, it creates a new physical universe based on our "normal" physics. The physical features of Bionis (and presumably the remains of Mechonis) were integrated into the new landmasses, which is why Makna Forest wasn't crushed by Eryth Sea as Eryth Sea came to rest next to Colony 6.
Well, the key thing is that Shulk doesn't make a new world. It stays as it is. Why? Because creating a new world is something a God would do. Zanza and Meyneth aren't around to keep the Bionis and Mechonis alive, so they just fall apart. We only see the Bionis head, Colony 9, and a piece of the Bionis Shoulder still floating in the sky as what's left inhabitable of the Titans.

If you swim out into the sea too far around the Fallen Arm you start to take damage because it's high-density ether (pretty sure a Machina Hidden Village NPC will mention this), so no one ever truly gets to explore the sea beyond that. It could have been salty all along.

Well, the key thing is that Shulk doesn't make a new world. It stays as it is. Why? Because creating a new world is something a God would do. Zanza and Meyneth aren't around to keep the Bionis and Mechonis alive, so they just fall apart. We only see the Bionis head, Colony 9, and a piece of the Bionis Shoulder still floating in the sky as what's left inhabitable of the Titans.

If you swim out into the sea too far around the Fallen Arm you start to take damage because it's high-density ether (pretty sure a Machina Hidden Village NPC will mention this), so no one ever truly gets to explore the sea beyond that. It could have been salty all along.
At the time, Shulk is explicitly a god, he simply uses his godhead to create a world where he won't be.

The Bionis actually collapses because that universe ran out of ether, Zanza and Meyneth had nothing to do with it. Otherwise Mechonis would have collapsed without Zanza killing it.

I'd like to see that bit of NPC dialogue, I don't remember that one. Either way, salt doesn't work like that, it equalizes in a system.

Back
Top Bottom