• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Xbox Games Showcase + Starfield Direct 2023 thread

Opinions and all but I've found a lot of streamers have quite a limited taste in games.
They absolutely do. It has to either be a game you can play with others or have that AAA look to it. Cartoonish or weeb games are not AAA. High fidelity graphics are more hype to them. And don't get me started on indie games. Those are not games to a lot of streamers lmfao.

I can recognize that it was a good showcase but honestly, I only see myself playing Fable and the Cyberpunk expansion.

This was a good showcase. Quite some different games. Both on AA(A) and Indie, the line blurs further imo. I was thinking dusting off my Xbox soon anyway as I wanted to get into High-Fi Rush as I haven't played that one yet :D.

After following along in this thread it certainly feels like XBox's "Japan strategy" right now is less about expanding their presence in Japan and more about dissuading pubs from inking exclusivity deals with Sony. I never would've expected to see Sega showing off new Atlus games first at a MS event.

So the long term play I think is to continue locking down the Western devs and get more Japanese games on XBox/Gamepass to level the playing field. Meaning the question they want people to be asking themselves is "I can get an XBox which is where Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Starfield are... plus Yakuza and Persona and Street Fighter and Resident Evil and maybe Final Fantasy" vs. "I can get a Playstation which is where Last of Us, Horizon, and God of War are... plus Yakuza and Persona and Street Fighter and Resident Evil and maybe Final Fantasy eventually". Which has the potential to be absolutely devastating to Sony so no wonder they're fighting the ABK acquisition vehemently.

I also noticed that this coincides with MS investing heavily in RPGs which is smart since those are long-form content which matters in terms of keeping people on Gamepass. I can also see Gamepass being a good way for brands like Persona and Final Fantasy to trojan horse their way into the systems for people who largely play western style RPGs.

King of tease wearing a Hexen shirt, really not nice. But they can't announce it yet, Hexen is a Activision brand, if I am not wrong. Would be great if they free the CoD slaves at Raven Software. Phil - breaker of chains - Spencer.
Steam page for Hexen lists id Software as the publisher. So MS owns the IP by way of the Zenimax acquisition.

I didn't drop in value after the ports released earlier this year?

It did, but prices were slightly over $100.

For the record, i have no problem with the value of my game dropping. I would much rather see games be more readily available than my "investment" grow.

I was out with a friend, I looked at the time, I realized the showcase had ended, I desperately opened a browser on my phone to see if any Silksong news had been announced, and I was disappointed once more.

Microsoft is honestly firing on all cylinders. Even their first party is finally kicking into gear. So many games shown here that I'm gonna play day one on Game Pass. First and foremost Jusant. Dontnod + puzzle adventure? Sign me the fuck up

I enjoyed that. I knew inXile’s game would be first person and I was pretty down in it. Very impressed with what they showed tho.

Fell asleep in the middle of watching (not the show's fault, this was airing at like 2 am for me) so I had to go back and pick up where I left off. It's okay since I get to see Keanu Reeves again haha.

• Starfield looks great! The controls and handling seem tighter than I'd expected, which is nice. It's also packed full of stuff to do, like I'm pretty into the depth of the ship customization. I don't think this will be groundbreaking, but it sure feels grand. It's gonna be fun frolicking in this cosmic playground.
  • Cities Skylines 2 has me so hyped. Looks like everything a sequel ought to be.
  • New Flight Simulator was a surprise! It's not really my thing but I'm glad that there's an audience out there eating good.
  • I had no interest in Sea of Thieves until this showcase. The Monkey Island stuff is incredible, a loving homage to the first game, down to hurtling down ziplines using chickens.
  • On the other hand, still not interested in Persona 3 Reloaded. I'm fine with P3P. P5T I might buy, though. And might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure about Metaphor, it just looks like a slightly modified blend of Persona elements.
  • Avowed could be great if it can get more variety with the spells, but I'm not holding out for that. A lot of the magic seems like generic elemental shoot-y stuff.
  • Where did Path of the Goddess come from, Capcom? I'm a bit burnt out on the feudal Japan aesthetic but I still have to admit that this was very stylish, with some nice and grody monster designs. That torii gate covered by a flapping ribcage was sooo cool-looking.
  • Jusant looks great too, a cool video game-y take on mountain climbing that looks sure to trigger my fear of heights.
  • Other stuff that looked cool: 33 Immortals, Dungeons of Hinterburg, Towerborne, Clockwork Revolution
So all in all, pretty good presentation! I still would like a higher gameplay-to-cinematics ratio, but that's at least improved from last time.

the show was kinda meh for me overall. but it's an A+ for Starfield, hot damn. That's game of the generation-tier potential right there. I'm in awe.

I don't have much interest in Starfield, but they showed it off very well. I can see it actually delivering.

Now the rest of the conference... way too much nothing trailers on the first-party side. Hellblade 2 looked aggressively uninteresting and uneventful, Fable had absolutely nothing, and reveals like South of Midnight also just tells me NOTHING. Outside of things like Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 (this is my game of their show), Microsoft didn't show me much tangible ideas of what a lot of their games would be, especially early on.

Third-party reveals were good as usual, but it's stuff I'd rather play on PS5 or Switch instead due to their controllers being better.

Still, largely enjoyable as a whole and they seem set on having a strong holiday with Starfield. It's like a B- to B for me.

I’m not gunna say there wasn’t anything good in here; Atlas and Capcom basically carried but. But it is astonishing how long we’ve been waiting for all of these first-party MS games. It’s not just one or two, like TOTK or Prime 4 on Switch, but their entire lineup. And more new games keep getting announced with very little shown for anything else. Perfect Dark and Everwild haven’t had anything in years. This is the first we’ve heard of Fable and Avowed in forever. one had no gameplay and the other looked, frankly, terrible. Wreaks of compromise. Hellblade 2, if it’s structured like the original, does not feel like a game that should be taking 5 years.

I am surprised at how well Starfield is shaping up but then again, given how long we’ve known about it, it better be shaping up. Otherwise, it’s a little crazy how little they’ve learned. Feels like the exact same show they’ve always done; doubt it moves the needle much.

Shame about Starfield not having the game physical in the collector edition. Really do not like this trend on both Sony and Microsofts sides. Why would anyone buy a physical collector edition to not have the game on disc? May as well do what Blizzard did with Diablo 4 and have the collector edition box separately with no game and don't inflate the price by 80 euro for a code.

Barring that, Starfield will be amazing. I hope Inon Zur is confirmed doing the music?

I just can't get into those live service games, no matter how good they might look. Also usually don't have friends to play thess games with :')
I was able to hit Pirate Legend solo in Sea of Thieves. It's definitely possible and a very fun game to boot; play the Pirates of the Carribean story at a minimum!

Personally, I don't mind CGI/In-Engine trailers that much. As long as the trailer communicates something to me, I'm content. So many Xbox trailers have just been generic visuals and a title, that tells me nothing at all.

I would've liked to see Fable and South of Midnight gameplay for sure, but the trailers still communicated a lot about what the games are, so I'm cool with it. Not ideal, but there's enough else coming out for me to overlook it.

I couldn’t watch this live so I’m late responding here. Wow! What a great show! Big win was getting a slate of interesting first party games on the way. Avowed, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Forza all looked good. Clockwork Revolution evoked Bioshock Infinite a bit too strongly, but I was intrigued learning afterwards it’s an RPG. Also pretty pleased with some of the other games that popped up here including Like A Dragon 8, Star Wars Outlaws, Persona 5 Tactica, and potentially Metaphor (if it avoids being hateful).

The main event with Starfield really delivered. I was pretty underwhelmed last year, but even with my concerns around randomly generated content I was really sold on the big vision here and the hand crafted stuff looks excellent. The running, jet packing, and gunning all looks fun in a way I never quite felt from The Elder Scrolls so that has me excited.

So yeah, I really walked away very satisfied. I’m curious to see what shows up for round 2 on Xbox on Tuesday.

Personally, I don't mind CGI/In-Engine trailers that much. As long as the trailer communicates something to me, I'm content. So many Xbox trailers have just been generic visuals and a title, that tells me nothing at all.

I would've liked to see Fable and South of Midnight gameplay for sure, but the trailers still communicated a lot about what the games are, so I'm cool with it. Not ideal, but there's enough else coming out for me to overlook it.
For me, CG/non-gameplay trailers are only acceptable under one of these circumstances:

1) It's an established and well-respected and maintained IP so you can already sus out the overall gameplay (Bayonetta 3, Zelda, God of War Ragnarok)
2) It's an established developer that regularly churns out hit after hit (From Software with Sekiro/Elden Ring, RGG Studio with Like A Dragon, maybe even Bungie with Marathon)
3) The release date is incredibly soon (Smash Ultimate, Like A Dragon 8)

Games like Fable do not 100% fulfill either criteria. Fable has had major stumbles with the public eye with high profile cancelations as well as Playground Games, while very talented, is handling a game completely out of their usual comfort zone. It would be comparable to if Horizon: Zero Dawn only got a CG trailer when announced and they expected us to get hyped at that. (Maybe it actually did, I didn't follow E3 then)

Although to be fair, maybe some of the in-engine/non-gameplay stuff did say 2024. I don't quite remember. If so, we'll probably see more of them later on.

I am also absolutely tired of over-engineered trailers that don't quite accurately portray how people actually play the game. It's a stark contrast to Sega and Capcom's trailers, where Persona/Metaphor and Path of the Goddess largely avoided those issues by actually showing representative gameplay and not going too crazy on cinematic camera angles mid-gameplay.

I feel like I get less excited for Starfield whenever I actually see it

Like, it's definitely a hugely ambitious and expansive game that looks incredible in a lot of ways, and it sounds awesome on paper, but something about the execution makes me hesitant

Still, will definitely be keeping an eye on things there

Way better than I expected it was going to be. I'll be getting an Xbox next year now. I want to play Avowed, Clockwork Aquario Revolution (steampunk + time travel mechanic? Looks like it'll be fun) & Starfield. Fable I need some gameplay of to make a decision on. Hellblade 2 I was getting anyway, already sold on that.
The third Atlus game was a nice surprised after the Persona leaks.
Capcom's new IP looked kinda forgettable unfortunately.
Starfield had a better showing than I expected and I'm keen to play it now, whereas I was very cold on it before. Way better than whatever "Sony's showcase" was supposed to be...(yeah, yeah, I know, fanboy wars yadda yadda, still, at least Spider-Man 2 looked great and we got to see Dragon's Dogma 2 in that).

The running, jet packing, and gunning all looks fun in a way I never quite felt from The Elder Scrolls so that has me excited
Bethesda does seem to have tightened up the gameplay feel somewhat and that was low-key my personal favorite part about the Starfield Direct.

Would have liked to see a little bit more from a few titles - the Fable opener was fun but didn't really tell me much about the game, and I'll never really be a fan of tone trailers for new IP, even if there is a little bit curiosity piqued (like South of Midnight) - but generally came out of that feeling pretty impressed.

The two big ones for me were Flight Simulator 2024 and Jusant; adding in a kind of career mode into FS 2024 with various different forms of transport and is a great shout and I can't wait to do some helicopter rescues, jet races or even just deliver some stuff (Aero Truck Simulator?) For Jusant, great to see a climbing focused game rather than have it just be a way to get from A to B in something like GoW or Uncharted, really into the explory vibes as well.

Few other stand outs - Still Wakes the Deep looks interesting, Clockwork Revolution (while looking like a Bioshock Infinite tribute act) should hopefully be a bit more than that thanks to InXile's previous work and I'll always be happy for a new Yakuza game.

Starfield just isn't my kind of game but I have a feeling it's going to do very, very well. Looks like it could be TOTK's closest competitor come year-end.

Ive had an xbox for about two years now and the last time I played something for more than 5 minutes on it was about a year ago. That looks about to change but there wasnt much actual definitive going on here. Lots of 2024, lots of "in-engine". And I frankly dont care untill I see some mechanics. Still looking forward to starfield, interested in fable, thats about it.

I'm not interested in sky games likes No Man Sky. So this Starfield is not my taste. Let see what the sales is in it's first 3 days opening

I'm only just now catching up on the Starfield direct. For the life of me, I've not been able to get into Bethesda games. I tried both Oblivion and Skyrim and they couldn't hold my attention and didn't like the combat and Fallout has one of the most off-putting settings/aesthetics I've seen. So Starfield wasn't really on my radar, but what I'm seeing actually looks pretty appealing to me. The ship building in particular looks fun. The art direction is fantastic, obviously taking inspiration from 2001 but also kind of reminds me of the cover art on old sci-fi novels my dad had.

I perked up during the skills section when one lady mentioned an ability to mind control alien creatures. If combat isn't all gunplay but has quirkier stuff like to take care of enemy encounters, I could see myself having a good time with this game. I can't see myself getting an xbox just for this, but this is the first time a Bethesda game looked appealing to my tastes.

The thousands of procedurally generated heightmaps for resource gathering planets does set off some alarm bells though.

It was simultaneously a good show and one that moved the needle very little for me in terms of reasons to be excited about Xbox as a platform.

I could see myself losing dozens of hours to Starfield without even seeing most of the content and, just like with Fallout 4 before it, coming to the other side of it with the impression of having majorly wasted my time. I'll wait until we have some impressions of what's on offer in terms of sidequests and role-playing before passing judgment, but I'm keeping expectations low for now.

Regardless, Avowed should be more my style. Not like there's a lot of info about that one either, but Obsidian is a proven studio for me and it just looks like a good time. I like what they're saying about not trying to make their own Skyrim, but focusing on making a denser game instead.

Nobody would care if it was Barfield vs Belda
Barffield? Belchda? 🤮
All hail the true GOTY We Love Katamari Reroll+ Royal Reverie

While they still got alot of work to do, you can definitely see MS really trying with Japanese publishers. Last generation LAD, P3R, P5T, Metaphor, and Path of Goddess all would have showed up at Sony's showcase and only 2 of those MIGHT have been releasing on an Xbox platform.

The Lamplighters League is releasing October 3rd as per the extended showcase(and they also announced it for gamepass)

very interested in anything Harebrained Schemes makes at this point personally speaking

Minor bump, but Jusant was a stand-out announcement for me here and I just got around to playing the demo before it goes away tonight.

It's basically all things I love rolled into one - a rock climbing game (I love The Climb in VR), an "indie art" game (think Journey), with BotW Exploration vibes, a "climb up goal" (think Grow Home) and its made by DONTNOD, a dev that will always have my heart?

If it wasn't already Day one Game Pass, I'd be day one. My time with the demo confirms it.

Back
Top Bottom