• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What YouTube videos are you watching right now?

merp

Darknut
Pronouns
He/him
Based off of @EvilChameleon's thread here. I suppose I might amend this thread to also include TikTok videos. I just specify YouTube videos because a) YouTube videos are exceedingly long nowadays (too long, I would argue) and b) there might be another thread (if there isn't one already) talking about what everyone is watching in terms of TV shows or streaming serials.

Anyway, I'll start:

Next video in queue (that is, in a separate tab):

So yeah, in other news, I'm looking up stuff for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (and I guess all the other sales holidays that are coming up). I'm taking recommendations too so if anyone has any suggestions to give me, please do so.

Post whatever you watched today!

Currently watching:

Next in line:

So yeah, I like Ashens. Not only because he's entertaining, but I also find his voice kinda relaxing, so very often I have his videos playing in the background while I'm working on other things.

"Watching" might be a strong term, but I just finished listening to this episode of Blowback:

...this was after I was listening to a different episode, horribly confused as to what was happening until I realized I clicked on the wrong episode out of order.

"Watching" might be a strong term, but I just finished listening to this episode of Blowback:

...this was after I was listening to a different episode, horribly confused as to what was happening until I realized I clicked on the wrong episode out of order.

Season 2 is by far my favourite of all.

Season 2 is by far my favourite of all.
I'm really enjoying it, though I think the Iraq War stuff hit differently because I was alive during then and that was when I really started to become politically aware as a teenager; I remember arguing with people at school that the WMD story was completely baseless. So having the context where they go deep into detail about all the happenings at the Bush admin at the time gave the era a context I really appreciated. The ending of season 1 talking about how the Obama admin getting mired deep into Middle Eastern conflict and how the US war machine is self perpetuating because it destabilizes regions allowing for more openings for interventions was quite harrowing as well.

Obviously I'm not far into season 2 so I might feel differently by the end of it. I think it does a good job painting a picture of how the United States spent a century and change trying to dominate a tiny island while propagandizing Americans to thinking the communist government was some evil despotic dystopia that needed to be dismantled, and I like that they go into the history of the colonial era (some horrifying anecdotes about how slaves were treated in the sugar mills... Jesus). And the story of the revolutionaries is nothing short of legendary. (Also the anecdote that the US government was trying to find ways to make Castro lose his beard as to appear less manly is hysterical.)

One topic I'd really, really love for these guys to tackle is Israel, there is such a rich history there to unpack and the current world events really make it obvious how little people know about the brutal occupation and apartheid of Palestine until recently, and the role the US played in that. But that might be a huge project and harder to settle on an "endpoint" for.

Anyway this is all to say everyone should listen to Blowback.

I'm really enjoying it, though I think the Iraq War stuff hit differently because I was alive during then and that was when I really started to become politically aware as a teenager; I remember arguing with people at school that the WMD story was completely baseless. So having the context where they go deep into detail about all the happenings at the Bush admin at the time gave the era a context I really appreciated. The ending of season 1 talking about how the Obama admin getting mired deep into Middle Eastern conflict and how the US war machine is self perpetuating because it destabilizes regions allowing for more openings for interventions was quite harrowing as well.

Obviously I'm not far into season 2 so I might feel differently by the end of it. I think it does a good job painting a picture of how the United States spent a century and change trying to dominate a tiny island while propagandizing Americans to thinking the communist government was some evil despotic dystopia that needed to be dismantled, and I like that they go into the history of the colonial era (some horrifying anecdotes about how slaves were treated in the sugar mills... Jesus). And the story of the revolutionaries is nothing short of legendary. (Also the anecdote that the US government was trying to find ways to make Castro lose his beard as to appear less manly is hysterical.)

One topic I'd really, really love for these guys to tackle is Israel, there is such a rich history there to unpack and the current world events really make it obvious how little people know about the brutal occupation and apartheid of Palestine until recently, and the role the US played in that. But that might be a huge project and harder to settle on an "endpoint" for.

Anyway this is all to say everyone should listen to Blowback.

As far as stories go, that of the Cuban revolution is the best one they've told -and perhaps the one that exemplifies most the US as a nuclear superpower and Empire, and the final episodes are some of the best. They do get better from a technical standpoint in seasons 3 and 4, although Korea was personally my least favourite season. If you were politicized during the Iraq war, then chances are you'll love season 4 which is about Afghanistan.

Israel would be a great topic for Blowback yeah, it fits with the theme of the pod -although the role of the US is less evident than in the conflicts they explore in previous seasons. I think Noah Kulwin has addressed Israel on other podcasts that he's been in, so you might want to look into those

Video is 41 minutes long and has a lot of "niche" games, I suppose, that might have passed under the radar of some people here:

Lots of Chinese video games as well, if anyone else is interested.

Gonna watch this one next (an hour and 12 minutes, in case you want to give it a look-see):

Damn, err, I should come up with some more rules for this thread considering all the, uhh, spam.

Anyway, currently watching this:

I think I'm done crafting my desk set-up myself, but on the other hand, I like getting ideas for when I'll eventually add on to it or inevitably re-arrange things, hence why I'm currently watching this. I'll say this: I almost find using only an iPad as your main PC to be a bit offensive. But it is what it is. I shouldn't judge or anything. Also, the cable rack is a good idea that I might try to replicate later on.

And now that I've just finished that video, I've also watched this:

This video is pretty interesting, judging by the quote; I may actually watch it, despite its length (I don't often watch super-long videos).

Oh yeah, and to everyone using this thread:

Make sure to explain or talk about what you're posting, if only a little. It'll help drive discussion, or at least make sure that we don't devolve into spam.

Currently watching:

I'm hoping to get into "retro gaming" or game emulation going forward (I especially want to play Silent Hill 2).

As to the video, I would say that the games weren't that interesting (though I'm guessing it was more about getting the ones that are top of the line in terms of quality rather than being obscure); I'm more interested in NES or SNES games like ActRaiser and other ones "off the beaten path," so to speak.

Next videos coming up:

And then I'll probably take a break from watching videos or listening to them for a while unless anything else comes up immediately.

I'm hoping to get into "retro gaming" or game emulation going forward (I especially want to play Silent Hill 2).

As to the video, I would say that the games weren't that interesting (though I'm guessing it was more about getting the ones that are top of the line in terms of quality rather than being obscure); I'm more interested in NES or SNES games like ActRaiser and other ones "off the beaten path," so to speak.

Oh! I really like SNESDrunk, helps that videos usually aren't too long. You'll find some more obscure stuff at his channel too, but in a "essentials"-video, there's obviously a lot of well known stuff, like you mentioned.
I’m past halfway through and hooboy this is spicy. Highly recommend.
That's when it gets really interesting! Or when it gets worse

Edit:

And now that I've just finished that video, I've also watched this:

This looks really interesting, will give it a watch after I'm done with the plagiarism thing :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom