• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What YouTube videos are you watching right now?

Watched this with @Phosphorescent Skeleton last night. I'd only ever watched this guy's DK64 stream before. I was shocked by how much it pulled me in. Simply incredible!
He's really good with the whole "start off with a mundane thing and then suck you into a deep rabbit hole", prime example being "robolox_oof.mp3" which is a 30 minute excurse into the origin of that one sound effect, accompanied by a feature-length meltdown. The "measured response"-videos are pretty good too. :)

He's really good with the whole "start off with a mundane thing and then suck you into a deep rabbit hole", prime example being "robolox_oof.mp3" which is a 30 minute excurse into the origin of that one sound effect, accompanied by a feature-length meltdown. The "measured response"-videos are pretty good too. :)

I might have to actually watch that Roblox one, people keep telling me how great it is!

I’m past halfway through and hooboy this is spicy. Highly recommend.
I was expecting to watch this in chunks over the next week or so but it just got wilder and more enthralling but also infuriating so I just did it all yesterday evening.

Like it may seem weird half the video is dedicated to one guy but that 2 hours felt like scratching the surface.

Listening to Easy Allies in a separate tab! Video is nearly 2 hours long, but it lends itself well to just listening to them talk. All the games from the PC show look great and, I have to say, the enthusiasm that these people have for gaming is contagious! And them going through the games one by one, making good points about each one all the while, gives me ideas for what I'll play next when they inevitably release. Anyone else watch Easy Allies?

Coming up (have these on separate tabs and will watch after I'm done listening to Easy Allies):

I started the hbomberguy’s “Plagiarism and You(tube)”. I’ll have to break it up into several sessions because my attention span does not allow for a nearly four-hour video, and I’m technically at work right now.

So far, like “ROBLOX_OOF.mp4”, this one is Fremdschämen, The Essay® (informative though).
You too?!

Nice! Someone also recommended me that video and I plan to watch it either today or tomorrow. And yeah, it's damn hard watching a video that's hours-long. Like, holy hell, videos on YouTube nowadays are too long and I hate it. Well, not always, sometimes I appreciate it. But wow, it can be a doozy at times. It's while I appreciate TikTok (even though a lot of people, well, hate TikTok!).

Anyway, I'm currently watching this:

I've just started using Obsidian and it's been a godsend for me; I'm trying to either find a new note-taking method or perfect my current one.

If anyone has recommendations on note-taking, I'm all ears.

You too?!

Nice! Someone also recommended me that video and I plan to watch it either today or tomorrow. And yeah, it's damn hard watching a video that's hours-long. Like, holy hell, videos on YouTube nowadays are too long and I hate it. Well, not always, sometimes I appreciate it. But wow, it can be a doozy at times. It's while I appreciate TikTok (even though a lot of people, well, hate TikTok!).

Anyway, I'm currently watching this:

I've just started using Obsidian and it's been a godsend for me; I'm trying to either find a new note-taking method or perfect my current one.

If anyone has recommendations on note-taking, I'm all ears.

okay, I used to take notes for the disabled back in college, and I was doing some Crime Scene Investigation stuff where my mentor hammered in the importance of taking notes, so I speak with MILD familiarity. Take it with a grain of salt, buuut~
I would try to always be writing something. In the class I had to take notes for, the teacher was pretty awful. So I couldn't guarantee how long the information would be present. As a result, I was scrambling to always at least make sure the core concept of the topic was the first thing I was ready to take notes on- keeping an open area for any additional notes in case I'd have to loop back and add more. Additionally, in case there were things I were specifically curious about that the teacher didn't get to, I'd write what it was in a separate section. When reading my notes later to study, it would encourage me to engage with it in a different way.
It's also not something every professor would do, but I'd also mark things that were supposed to be on the test with a mark I'd some kind.
When it comes to freehand note taking, separate from academia, I have some of the same methods. Usually though, I'll specifically take notes on what I know I want to Walk away with the most- whatever piece of information sticks out to me to help me get a greater grasp of the topic at hand, I'll look at and figure out what about that stands out, and find ways to connect it to the larger pieces at hand, sorta building a puzzle by how these elements fit in. It's certainly more abstract without a way to test myself against peers... But, for instance, I've been messing with video editing lately. I would learn how to do one element of it, like body effects, or transitions, figure out where they are in the myriad of menus, figure out how to slowly fine tune them to do what I need [still on this step], and it all came from me taking notes on a larger video which serves as "the beginners guide to video editing".

So I'm watching this right now

and holy shit, it's taking me a long time to get through, longer than the actual video.

Gotta take breaks or otherwise I get distracted by something or need to do something that requires my attention.

Still, it's probably the most relevant YouTube video I've seen in a long while.

Watched this earlier today.

My only memories of going to Ruby Tuesday are childhood ones of going to the one in the mall and not actually eating anything but the buttered popcorn my parents bought me from Karmelkorn.

and holy shit, it's taking me a long time to get through, longer than the actual video.

Gotta take breaks or otherwise I get distracted by something or need to do something that requires my attention.

Still, it's probably the most relevant YouTube video I've seen in a long while.
I can relate, took me a bit longer too, 4 hours is a tall order to get undivided attention :D
(part of why I still really like going to theaters, no distractions, just the movie^^)

Hbomberguy video is powerful.

Put me to tears at the end because of how much his final speech resonates with me, and as someone who had to deal (shortly but still) with imposter syndrome while I was writing, because I was proud of what I wrote and fell like it wasn't normal, I must've done something wrong and copied someone else's work, Harry's video was exactly what I needed.

Done!

It was good! ...Except for the ending.

I had, err, disagreements with it because I felt it was... a bit ignorant?

YouTubing is big business and the alternative for a lot of people... is to work a 9 to 5 job and barely make enough to make ends meet.

Well, that's one issue I had with it, but there were a couple that came to mind that I'm too tired to go into right now.

But certainly: one's identity and "making it" are up there in terms of why people plagiarize, but in regard to YouTube influencers, I felt it didn't quite cut some of the more extensive and systemic issues at play.

Eh, idk, just me, maybe I'm being silly.

Listened to this:

And then this:

Before watching this:

And then this:

And before all that?

I was watching TGA 2023, of course!

Damn, this video was depressing... and covers something I've known about for a long while. But Adam Conover puts it quite concisely. It really does suck. And yeah, Joe Biden and his administration are complicit here.

Also, yeah, often underage migrant children.

Just watched this:

Reminds me that I'm half-way through reading the entire Bible; I should get on with finishing the rest, I think.

Next up, I'm about to watch this video by Alexander Avila:

Oh! Overly Sarcastic Production is great, love their Trope Talk videos!
Better than TV Tropes, I feel... but I haven't used TV Tropes in a long time so I don't know how it is now.

I heard it ran into some problems as of late.

NICE!

I remember listening to the song that played when Gohan transformed over and over again after watching that TFS episode! Kinda gets into your head easily. And the English version is surprisingly good. I'm glad that TFS used that version instead of the Japanese version.

Anyway, here's what I watched (or listened to while I was doing other things):

Eiyuden looks incredibly fun. Oh yeah, and I'm thinking of trying my hand at TTRPGs again.

NICE!

I remember listening to the song that played when Gohan transformed over and over again after watching that TFS episode! Kinda gets into your head easily. And the English version is surprisingly good. I'm glad that TFS used that version instead of the Japanese version.

Anyway, here's what I watched (or listened to while I was doing other things):

Eiyuden looks incredibly fun. Oh yeah, and I'm thinking of trying my hand at TTRPGs again.

TFS really hit it out of the park with all of the running jokes surrounding Dragonball Z and its my preferred way to re-watch the series now.

TFS really hit it out of the park with all of the running jokes surrounding Dragonball Z and its my preferred way to re-watch the series now.
That's nice. I hope they do the Buu Saga too one day as it's my favorite Saga in Dragonball Z... but I'm not expecting anything. Even so, they sure ended on a high note. I should watch their reactions to the recent movie (my favorite of the Dragonball movies thus far). I enjoyed that one more than the Broly movie.

Anyway, listened to this:

and this:

and this as well:

Now I'm listening to this:

and am set to put this on after I'm done with that one:

Just some classical music for relaxation and concentration as well; nothing more, nothing less.

That's nice. I hope they do the Buu Saga too one day as it's my favorite Saga in Dragonball Z... but I'm not expecting anything. Even so, they sure ended on a high note. I should watch their reactions to the recent movie (my favorite of the Dragonball movies thus far). I enjoyed that one more than the Broly movie.
They didn't do the full Buu Saga but they made a selection of "Buu Bits" as part of a collaboration with Totally Not Mark including all new color correction to make the footage closer to the original than some of the blurays etc... It covers a lot of the main points

They didn't do the full Buu Saga but they made a selection of "Buu Bits" as part of a collaboration with Totally Not Mark including all new color correction to make the footage closer to the original than some of the blurays etc... It covers a lot of the main points

Lol was just about to share this video...

I didn't know about this! Very nice that they're doing the Buu Saga in their own way, so to speak. I'll give it a watch, I think.

Oh, and watching this right now, by the way:

not that i'm watching it right now, but does anyone watch Citynerd? love me some urban planning/transportation/YIMBY content.

his videos are always one of my lunch break go-tos.

not that i'm watching it right now, but does anyone watch Citynerd? love me some urban planning/transportation/YIMBY content.

his videos are always one of my lunch break go-tos.
Haven't heard about Citynerd but I really like "Not Just Bikes" and "Adam Something", which seem to go in the same direction. I think it's a super interesting topic for sure!

Haven't heard about Citynerd but I really like "Not Just Bikes" and "Adam Something", which seem to go in the same direction. I think it's a super interesting topic for sure!
you should definitely check out citynerd, then! he is more NA focused compared to not just bikes, since that's where he lives, but i like his videos a lot. he has a dry sense of humor that can give me a chuckle sometimes and he was also an actual city planner (or something of the sort) at some point so he has some real professional insights as well.

The Minnmax 2023 awards are now up on Youtube. One of my favorite gaming groups, they all are so talented and funny that it makes watching these long podcasts a breeze.

Adam Something's great!

But yeah, I've been sort-of interested in municipal politics and urbanism except at the smaller scale, when it comes to localities in America.

I want to know what makes a good county or town, you know? Not just for cities, but I haven't watched the other ones, and I've only watched some of Adam Something's videos (though I thoroughly enjoyed each one).

Has anyone else seen this yet?

Best YouTube video I've seen all year!

(I'll see myself out.)

None. I'm currently at work.

What? You think I'd be cheeky and add a video regardless?

Okay, you got me...

This is one of my new fav channels now. The vids aren't voiced so can't really have them on in the background, but the amount of sheer skill this user has as well and their deep dive analysis videos of little details in classic Nintendo games makes them pretty underrated imo

Recently watched:

Highly recommend the first video if you're a taxonomy nerd.

Watching a lot of vids on android and apple. I think I’m done with apple and want to switch. Anyone made a switch from apple to android willing to share their experience?

Watching a lot of vids on android and apple. I think I’m done with apple and want to switch. Anyone made a switch from apple to android willing to share their experience?
Years ago I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy something, wasn't long before I rushed back to Apple's warm embrace where I've stayed ever since.
What are your reasons for switching?

Years ago I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy something, wasn't long before I rushed back to Apple's warm embrace where I've stayed ever since.
What are your reasons for switching?
Options. I want a different type of phone. I’m really liking the Samsung Z Flip 5. Apple is just boring to me and every upgrade feels mediocre. Also I don’t have an Apple Watch, MacBook, or anything that ties me to apple. I know android might not be as stable but I’m willing to deal with that.

Options. I want a different type of phone. I’m really liking the Samsung Z Flip 5. Apple is just boring to me and every upgrade feels mediocre. Also I don’t have an Apple Watch, MacBook, or anything that ties me to apple. I know android might not be as stable but I’m willing to deal with that.
Fair enough. Hope it works out, I love the idea of a flip phone.

Not sure if it really fits the topic since other videos here are mostly longform, but a lot of what I watch on YouTube nowadays is shorter comedy stuff.

This guy is hilarious,

Not sure if it really fits the topic since other videos here are mostly longform, but a lot of what I watch on YouTube nowadays is shorter comedy stuff.

This guy is hilarious,

Yes, it's totally fine, Kingpin.

You don't have to just post longform content; you can post of any duration or content, within reason.

Share with everyone, I say.

Back
Top Bottom