• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What was the original source of the 2D Donkey Kong rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sold 4 million, I’d say that’s pretty good for a port of a 2D game. And they’ve been putting a lot of energy into Metroid which sells much less.
Lol Nintendo saw 4 million (and still counting) and said "nah." DKCTF is also Retro's second best selling game of all time so this reasoning makes no sense.
OK I totally fucked up, I thought it had sold something like 1-1.5 millions.
4 millions for a 2D platformer no called Mario is fucking lot for full price.

Nintendo should totally have them do nother one :(

And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE US DKC RETURNS HD

OK I totally fucked up, I thought it had sold something like 1-1.5 millions.
4 millions for a 2D platformer no called Mario is fucking lot for full price.

Nintendo should totally have them do nother one :(

And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GIVE US DKC RETURNS HD
To be fair, it sold 4 million over the course of like.. 5 years. This isn't to say it's bad, but its legs were quite slow. I really do think both Returns and TF are tainted titles though because of their level of difficulty, if they ever truly go back to DKC formula and lighten them up a bit in difficulty, the series will do very well.

To be fair, it sold 4 million over the course of like.. 5 years. This isn't to say it's bad, but its legs were quite slow. I really do think both Returns and TF are tainted titles though because of their level of difficulty, if they ever truly go back to DKC formula and lighten them up a bit in difficulty, the series will do very well.

DKC Returns was a really big seller though, like 6.5 million.

My opinion is that there are already enough easy platformers, DK offers a different experience for people who want a little more challenge.

Totally agree.

When Returns first released I dropped it at like the 2nd world, found the diffiulty too harsh and was annoyed by the controls (waggle to roll). When TF released I wasn't interested because of my experience with Returns. But then I bought a Wii U second hand and the previous owner had DK digital.. Gave it a try and I loved it. Difficulty was still high but more balanced this, Dixie and the controls also helped, I eventually beat it, not 100%, and I loved it, it's probably my favorite Wii U game.

Went back to Returns and managed to do better this time but I'd still like to play it in HD and regular controls.

Some things that would greatly improve the player friendliness:
  • More checkpoints
  • When losing midway and respawn on a checkpoint you should have the buddy you had when you activated the checkpoint. The way it is now, it's punishing the player for losing and if you need the buddy you have to quit the level, go to back map and restart.
  • Throw away the lives. It's an arcade mechanic. Players should be enouraged to lose and retry, not feeling the pressure of a game over.

All the above could only apply to normal / casual difficulty. Keep the hard old-chool stuff for the hardcore.

DKC Returns was a really big seller though, like 6.5 million.

My opinion is that there are already enough easy platformers, DK offers a different experience for people who want a little more challenge.
There is a reason the first sold a lot and then the sequel sold very little immediately. People were excited for the return of DK, but there was a ton of negative feedback about the difficulty and garbage motion controls. It took them releasing a port with an easy mode on a console bigger than the Wii to even approach a bit over half of that game, that usually indicates people weren't all keen on the last one. It's easy to get people to come back with a return to a popular series, it's not easy to get them to stay and Returns was not it. There is a reason Nintendo didn't keep Retro on them, they aren't a good fit for what normal people want from DKC.

There is a reason the first sold a lot and then the sequel sold very little immediately. People were excited for the return of DK, but there was a ton of negative feedback about the difficulty and garbage motion controls. It took them releasing a port with an easy mode on a console bigger than the Wii to even approach a bit over half of that game, that usually indicates people weren't all keen on the last one. It's easy to get people to come back with a return to a popular series, it's not easy to get them to stay and Returns was not it. There is a reason Nintendo didn't keep Retro on them, they aren't a good fit for what normal people want from DKC.

Didn't the Wii version have the auto Kong though? It's not like people could stay stuck on a stage.

That just...isn't true at all? It got really positive reception. I’ve see some people complain about the motion controls, I liked them though, and this is from somebody who usually doesn’t like motion controls. I've never seen anybody complaining about the difficulty before your post, most DK fans expect a game that's more difficult than the average platformer.

Most people regard either TF or DKC2 as the best DK game. TF on the Wii U sold around as much as the best selling Metroid games, plus the Switch version outsold every Metroid game, and the game in general got amazing reception so the last part about "the reason Nintendo didn't keep Retro on DK" isn't true at all. I mean your entire post is basically just your opinion but acting like it speaks for everybody for some reason.

I'm pretty sure the reason Tropical Freeze only sold 2m on Wii U is because it was on the Wii U. Who could say for certain though!

TF had the misfortune of being a 2D game at a time when I think people were sick of 2D Nintendo games, especially the more safe 3D models 2D. It was quality, but it didn't move any needles.

If the source is the same nutty guy who claims that "our source sez K Rool was gonna be in Tropical Freeze but Sakurai DEMANDED DIBS to revive the character himself" then I presume it's 100% complete hogwash and lunacy.

October 4th, 2019 Kremling Kampaigner, one of the earliest mentions of insiders saying Nintendo wants to establish Donkey Kong as one of the core properties of Nintendo.

This matches with what folks said previously on this forum, that the talks of internal DK game started as “predictions” in 2019, but they were based on insider claims of Nintendo investing in the big future of the DK franchise.
It actually started in the Nintendo Direct Threads, us Nintendo Direct Thread folks heard about it since 2019.

It started in those threads, being passed off as a prediction at first. "Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo EPD was making a DK game ahah, maybe by younger devs that grew up with Donkey Kong Country, wouldn't it be crazy ahah"

Then DK Vine made that rumor more public in late 2020, and then Nintendo Life and Nate said they have heard the same a few months later.

Since then, nothing much.

If the source is the same nutty guy who claims that "our source sez K Rool was gonna be in Tropical Freeze but Sakurai DEMANDED DIBS to revive the character himself" then I presume it's 100% complete hogwash and lunacy.
Im not sure the source on that, but I can confirm Dave Throat knew Banjo would be in Smash since early 2018. You can even check during the Grinch Leak someone on DKVine said they think it’s true because they heard about Banjo lol

I'm pretty sure the reason Tropical Freeze only sold 2m on Wii U is because it was on the Wii U. Who could say for certain though!

It then went on to sell much less, on the Switch. Tropical Freeze on Wii U and Switch combined have not outsold the Wii game, and that omits that the 3DS game happened. Usually there is a reason people don't come back, and in this case, the difficulty level is absolutely a problem. Not for me, I beat TF 100 percent, but I'm not the average player that casually buys DK for little Timmy to enjoy either.

It then went on to sell much less, on the Switch. Tropical Freeze on Wii U and Switch combined have not outsold the Wii game, and that omits that the 3DS game happened. Usually there is a reason people don't come back, and in this case, the difficulty level is absolutely a problem. Not for me, I beat TF 100 percent, but I'm not the average player that casually buys DK for little Timmy to enjoy either.

Is this true? I would have thought for sure it would outperform its Wii U release over the Switch’s life.

But yeah my conclusion after researching and going back for years… is that Donkey Kong EPD is real. And it will be probably revealed at the next Direct.

The question of whether it’s 2D or 3D is unanswered. That said, I believe no matter which direction the game will go, it will be phenomenal.

Someone please tag me if some new developments take place on this game. For now, I’ll be waiting for the official reveal. Very exciting!

But yeah my conclusion after researching and going back for years… is that Donkey Kong EPD is real. And it will be probably revealed at the next Direct.

The question of whether it’s 2D or 3D is unanswered. That said, I believe no matter which direction the game will go, it will be phenomenal.

Someone please tag me if some new developments take place on this game. For now, I’ll be waiting for the official reveal. Very exciting!
This is how I feel, but considering how Tokyo had the hiring call for both a 2D and 3D game way back then, I assume the 2D game is DK while 3D is obviously the next Mario.

Im not sure the source on that, but I can confirm Dave Throat knew Banjo would be in Smash since early 2018. You can even check during the Grinch Leak someone on DKVine said they think it’s true because they heard about Banjo lol
He could've gotten the entire Ultimate roster right and I still would be 100% skeptical of anyone claiming ''Sakurai called for dibs on reviving K Rool and also an entire content portion for Tropical Freeze was cancelled due to it.''

He could've gotten the entire Ultimate roster right and I still would be 100% skeptical of anyone claiming ''Sakurai called for dibs on reviving K Rool and also an entire content portion for Tropical Freeze was cancelled due to it.''
I'm saying I don't know if Dave Throat is responsible for that rumor/claim, but that he at least is reliable thus far, based on just what I know.

This is incorrect.
Is this true? I would have thought for sure it would outperform its Wii U release over the Switch’s life.
The Switch version sold over 4 million copies as of December 2021. It sold similarly to Kirby Star Allies, another 2D platformer that launched in early 2018.

I don't think it's unreasonable that Nintendo developers looked at DK and saw both creative and commercial potential. The series had an isolated peak of over 9 million with the original DKC back on SNES, but it's landed in the 4 to 6 million range a bunch of times: DKC 2 and 3, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, DKC Returns, Tropical Freeze on Switch.

For context, that's not dissimilar to how the Zelda series performs outside Breath of the Wild. Most of the games landed in the 1 to 4 million range historically, with a few doing 4 to 6 million, and only the original releases of Ocarina and Twilight Princess notably outperforming that range (7m+ and 8m+ respectively) until the big open world explosion.

A 5 to 10 million seller from EPD is probably still worthwhile from Nintendo's perspective, especially as a way of putting DK back on track and on the map. Unlike most other mainstream Nintendo franchises, DK hasn't yet had its shot with a new title on Switch, and so I think it's premature to assume Nintendo just wouldn't be interested in taking the reins for the series at EPD. The last time the series had a new entry on a successful system DK achieved its best results since the original DKC. Realistically, it's not as if it needs to get the kind of budget that Zelda or the next 3D Mario gets.

btw if dkc returns scared off so many potential buyers then how did the port for the 3ds go on to sell almost 3 mil copies?
The only reason dkc tropical freeze sales where not on the same level of the wii game is because it was on the wiiU, also tropical freeze on the Switch is the best selling non mario WiiU port with amazing legs and will probably become the 3rd best selling dk game in the end if it keeps selling (and technically it already is if we count both WiiU and switch)

The other thing to remember here: if Nintendo greenlit EPD DK for Switch in 2019 or 2020, they weren't committing to that title because they needed an evergreen seller that would shift hardware. They were making the decision to greenlight a new game in an established series for a system that was a proven mass market success.

I suspect that's one reason we're seeing something like Pikmin 4 this year. It doesn't need to do heavy lifting for Switch, but it does now have a huge market to sell into. The context for new hardware would of course be different - things like 3D Mario and Mario Kart are presumably heading to new hardware to begin the work of driving hardware sales all over again.

It was me, Barry. I invented the Donkey Kong rumour and posed as multiple Nintendo employees to feed it game journalists and insiders. I was responsible for the emotional rollercoaster you endured as E3 2021 came and went - distracting you just long enough for me to kill Iris.

The other thing to remember here: if Nintendo greenlit EPD DK for Switch in 2019 or 2020, they weren't committing to that title because they needed an evergreen seller that would shift hardware. They were making the decision to greenlight a new game in an established series for a system that was a proven mass market success.

I suspect that's one reason we're seeing something like Pikmin 4 this year. It doesn't need to do heavy lifting for Switch, but it does now have a huge market to sell into. The context for new hardware would of course be different - things like 3D Mario and Mario Kart are presumably heading to new hardware to begin the work of driving hardware sales all over again.
Historically, DK games have also been released late in a console lifespan. Donkey Kong Country (1994), Donkey Kong 64 (1999), Jungle Beat (2004), and Returns (2010) were released roughly two years before the successor of their console appeared on the market.

Tropical Freeze was the outlier.

I think people that doubt Donkey Kong's selling power will be surprised. To me it seems like a series that will easily get into the 10m - 13m+ range under the right conditions. Nintendo's software sales, and software sales for well made well marketed triple A games in general, have become explosive in a way they weren't back in 2010. We'll also probably be looking at much, much better legs for a new DK game than we'd see for a Wii game post-2010.

I do think that if it fails to sell in the 10m+ range, it might just unfortunately be bad timing due to the global economy. We are seeing consumers start to retract from "smaller scale" games a bit now that they have to pick and choose what games to buy, at least physically. But that is also to say, even if this entry doesn't make it, an entry on the Switch 2 probably would.

I very much believe how strong of an IP DK is is slept on, and I think Nintendo knows of the potential. You simply didn't really have 9m+ platformers on SNES or Wii + 3DS that weren't Mario, until DK.

I think people that doubt Donkey Kong's selling power will be surprised. To me it seems like a series that will easily get into the 10m - 13m+ range under the right conditions. Nintendo's software sales, and software sales for well made well marketed triple A games in general, have become explosive in a way they weren't back in 2010. We'll also probably be looking at much, much better legs for a new DK game than we'd see for a Wii game post-2010.

I do think that if it fails to sell in the 10m+ range, it might just unfortunately be bad timing due to the global economy. We are seeing consumers start to retract from "smaller scale" games a bit now that they have to pick and choose what games to buy, at least physically. But that is also to say, even if this entry doesn't make it, an entry on the Switch 2 probably would.

I very much believe how strong of an IP DK is is slept on, and I think Nintendo knows of the potential. You simply didn't really have 9m+ platformers on SNES or Wii + 3DS that weren't Mario, until DK.
DK definitely has potential to sell over 10 million. Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing sold 5 million on a console with a quarter of the sales of Switch.

This is incorrect.

The Switch version sold over 4 million copies as of December 2021. It sold similarly to Kirby Star Allies, another 2D platformer that launched in early 2018.
Ok, where is the data then? I was under the impression the Wii game alone sold over 6.5 million, but maybe that figure was wrong. Also, a DK game selling like a Kirby game is not normal either, Kirby up to his 3D game was always vastly smaller in comparison. The DKC trilogy likely outsold a dozen mainline Kirby release.

Ok, where is the data then? I was under the impression the Wii game alone sold over 6.5 million, but maybe that figure was wrong. Also, a DK game selling like a Kirby game is not normal either, Kirby up to his 3D game was always vastly smaller in comparison. The DKC trilogy likely outsold a dozen mainline Kirby release.
I meant that you were incorrect to say that Tropical Freeze sold 'much less' on Switch than it did Wii U; in fact it has sold twice as much as it did on Wii U. The DK TF data comes from the CEMA report in 2022 and can easily be spotted on Wikipedia or InstallBase.

Yes, TF sold less than Returns, which did sell 6.5 million, but that's not all that surprising: Returns was a holiday season release on Wii in the fourth year the system had been on the market, whereas TF was a port released in the second year of Switch.

The original DKC sold over 9 million, by far the high point for the series, but 2 and 3 saw sales drop. Tropical Freeze's sales on Switch are (from what I remember) above sales of DKC 3 but below DKC 2. Tropical Freeze's sales aren't that far off other major DK releases from the 90s, where the typical sales range (DKC aside as the major peak) was 3.5 million up to around 5 million.

As for Kirby, Star Allies is one of the stronger performing entries in the series and it had the benefit of being a brand new game. The salient point isn't DK v Kirby as a historic comparison; more that new 2D Kirby sold well and comparably to a 2D DK port in a similar time frame on Switch.

Last edited:
I meant that you were incorrect to say that Tropical Freeze sold 'much less' on Switch than it did Wii U; in fact it has sold twice as much as it did on Wii U. The DK TF data comes from the CEMA report in 2022 and can easily be spotted on Wikipedia or InstallBase.

Yes, TF sold less than Returns, which did sell 6.5 million, but that's not all that surprising: Returns was a holiday season release on Wii in the fourth year the system had been on the market, whereas TF was a port released in the second year of Switch.

The original DKC sold over 9 million, by far the high point for the series, but 2 and 3 saw sales drop. Tropical Freeze's sales on Switch are (from what I remember) above sales of DKC 3 but below DKC 2. Tropical Freeze's sales aren't that far off other major DK releases from the 90s, where the typical sales range (DKC aside as the major peak) was 3.5 million up to around 6 million.

As for Kirby, Star Allies is one of the stronger performing entries in the series and it had the benefit of being a brand new game. The salient point isn't DK v Kirby as a historic comparison; more that new 2D Kirby sold well and comparably to a 2D DK port in a similar time frame on Switch.

I meant that TF on Switch sold much less than Returns on Wii, not that it sold worse than the Wii U release of TF as such a thing is basically impossible. I meant also that I think the two versions combined are still less than the one Wii release.

I think the question about 2D or 3D has a obvious answer since the 3D one is new Mario game.

I meant that TF on Switch sold much less than Returns on Wii, not that it sold worse than the Wii U release of TF as such a thing is basically impossible. I meant also that I think the two versions combined are still less than the one Wii release.
Fair enough. TF's combined sales aren't far off Returns on Wii: 6.14 million for TF combined versus 6.5 million for Returns.

Tropical Freeze's Switch port is the best selling DK port and has sold relatively well versus the mainline releases; Returns is the second best selling DK after the original DKC itself. Data from InstallBase:
[figures in millions, obviously]
DKC (SNES): 9.3
DKC2 (SNES): 5.15
DKC3 (SNES): 3.51
DK (GB): 3.07
DKL (GB): 3.91
DKL2 (GB): 2.35
DKL3 (GB): 1.03
DK64 (N64): 5.27
DKR (N64): 4.88
DKCR (Wii): 6.53
DKCTF (Wii U): 2.02

Ports:
DKC (GBC): 2.19
DKC (GBA): 1.82
DKR (DS): 1.59
DKCR 3D (3DS): 2.92
DKCTF (Switch): 4.12 (as of December 2021)

One thing that sounds out to me is that the ports of Retro's DKC games are the best selling of the ported games. Obviously, in Tropical Freeze's case, that's down to Wii U being a colossal failure, but it is interesting that the Retro ports have sold strongly this decade. Perhaps that's down to less activity with the DK brand in general, meaning fewer options for an interested audience.

The other thing that's noteworthy is just how poor the handling of the franchise was between DK64 and DKC Returns. The Mario vs DK series sold comparably to/slightly less than the DK Land series (peaking at 3 million on DS); the two Country ports to GBC and GBA didn't sell especially strongly; and a bunch of DK games across GC and DS didn't break 1 million sold.

TL;DR summary:

• Tropical Freeze and Returns performed within the historical range of the mainline series (if anything, towards the higher end)
  • TF and Returns ports are the best performing DK ports (though Wii U's failure and the relative dearth of DK titles this decade could explain that)
  • Nintendo spent 2000 until 2010 squandering DK's 90s success; thanks to Wii U, the series hasn't had a real shot at recovery yet; but Retro's efforts are easily the two high points for the series since DK64

I’m actually pretty impressed at TF Switch’s sales, I thought it was around 2m but it’s actually 4m and counting.

Fair enough. TF's combined sales aren't far off Returns on Wii: 6.14 million for TF combined versus 6.5 million for Returns.

Tropical Freeze's Switch port is the best selling DK port and has sold relatively well versus the mainline releases; Returns is the second best selling DK after the original DKC itself. Data from InstallBase:
[figures in millions, obviously]
DKC (SNES): 9.3
DKC2 (SNES): 5.15
DKC3 (SNES): 3.51
DK (GB): 3.07
DKL (GB): 3.91
DKL2 (GB): 2.35
DKL3 (GB): 1.03
DK64 (N64): 5.27
DKR (N64): 4.88
DKCR (Wii): 6.53
DKCTF (Wii U): 2.02

Ports:
DKC (GBC): 2.19
DKC (GBA): 1.82
DKR (DS): 1.59
DKCR 3D (3DS): 2.92
DKCTF (Switch): 4.12 (as of December 2021)

One thing that sounds out to me is that the ports of Retro's DKC games are the best selling of the ported games. Obviously, in Tropical Freeze's case, that's down to Wii U being a colossal failure, but it is interesting that the Retro ports have sold strongly this decade. Perhaps that's down to less activity with the DK brand in general, meaning fewer options for an interested audience.

The other thing that's noteworthy is just how poor the handling of the franchise was between DK64 and DKC Returns. The Mario vs DK series sold comparably to/slightly less than the DK Land series (peaking at 3 million on DS); the two Country ports to GBC and GBA didn't sell especially strongly; and a bunch of DK games across GC and DS didn't break 1 million sold.

TL;DR summary:

• Tropical Freeze and Returns performed within the historical range of the mainline series (if anything, towards the higher end)
  • TF and Returns ports are the best performing DK ports (though Wii U's failure and the relative dearth of DK titles this decade could explain that)
  • Nintendo spent 2000 until 2010 squandering DK's 90s success; thanks to Wii U, the series hasn't had a real shot at recovery yet; but Retro's efforts are easily the two high points for the series since DK64

The problem here is most Nintendo series have seen some level of significant growth on Switch, it seems like 80 percent of the time the Switch game becomes the top selling entry due to the nature of the buying habits for the system. Even a 2D Metroid still took the record and if Prime 4 is legit, that will likely take the record again by a good amount. Something as Nintendo friendly as DK should see its sales be significant, instead the game almost no one bought on Wii U, crawled to 4 million over 5 years. Right now that places DK a bit higher than a 2d Metroid game, Fire Emblem, 2D Kirby, and Pikmin, rather than in the upper tier of Nintendo sellers which is where it would usually go. For comparison, one of the best selling core Nintendo games of the Wii era was Super Mario Galaxy, which I think sold about 4 million more units, meanwhile DK Returns sold in line or better than most other major Nintendo entries.

For a time, DK was basically second place as a platformer series in sales, and he should easily be able to take that again if they ever do the game the mass audience actually wants. While the DKC SNES games are a bit challenging, they handle it in a much less stressful way than the Retro games, and that's a big problem for something that could reach 10 to 15 million users these days in terms of interest. If a very good and proper entry is made for Switch soon, it will likely obliterate the sales of every DKC game to this point, including the first SNES game. The fact that Nintendo took Retro off the series without replacing them shows they are not happy with the trajectory.

The problem here is most Nintendo series have seen some level of significant growth on Switch, it seems like 80 percent of the time the Switch game becomes the top selling entry due to the nature of the buying habits for the system. Even a 2D Metroid still took the record and if Prime 4 is legit, that will likely take the record again by a good amount. Something as Nintendo friendly as DK should see its sales be significant, instead the game almost no one bought on Wii U, crawled to 4 million over 5 years. Right now that places DK a bit higher than a 2d Metroid game, Fire Emblem, 2D Kirby, and Pikmin, rather than in the upper tier of Nintendo sellers which is where it would usually go. For comparison, one of the best selling core Nintendo games of the Wii era was Super Mario Galaxy, which I think sold about 4 million more units, meanwhile DK Returns sold in line or better than most other major Nintendo entries.

For a time, DK was basically second place as a platformer series in sales, and he should easily be able to take that again if they ever do the game the mass audience actually wants. While the DKC SNES games are a bit challenging, they handle it in a much less stressful way than the Retro games, and that's a big problem for something that could reach 10 to 15 million users these days in terms of interest. If a very good and proper entry is made for Switch soon, it will likely obliterate the sales of every DKC game to this point, including the first SNES game. The fact that Nintendo took Retro off the series without replacing them shows they are not happy with the trajectory.
What you don't understand is that a port of a game, even one that nobody played, is never going to sell like a new game (mario kart 8 deluxe is a crazy exception)
I mean look at the super mario 3d world port, that game sold 10mil copies while super Mario odyssey is over 25mil. Do you also think that there was a problem with 3d Mario that brought sales down?
Or is it simply because new games sell better than ports?

DK outsells Yoshi and Kirby (besides Forgotten Land), two of Nintendo's easier platformers, so the difficulty thing doesn't make sense. Retro doing Metroid Prime 4 doesn't show anything except that this is just what they're doing now, companies make different games. There is no "trajectory," if anything it's an upward trajectory because TF on Switch sold more than Wii U, and Wii U sales in general were down for all games from the Wii not just DK.

Also, I'd say the DKC games on SNES are around as difficult as the Retro games, and if anything they had more stressful segments (the snow barrel level and Tanked Up Trouble are the first that come to mind. And I haven't even played the SNES secret levels which I've heard are even more difficult).

DK outsells Yoshi and Kirby (besides Forgotten Land), two of Nintendo's easier platformers, so the difficulty thing doesn't make sense. Retro doing Metroid Prime 4 doesn't show anything except that this is just what they're doing now, companies do different things. There is no "trajectory," if anything it's an upward trajectory because TF on Switch sold more than Wii U, and Wii U sales in general were down for all games from the Wii not just DK.

Also, I'd say the DKC games on SNES are around as difficult as the Retro games, and if anything they had more stressful segments (the snow barrel level and Tanked Up Trouble are the first that come to mind. And I haven't even played the SNES secret levels which I've heard are even more difficult).
Nah, Retro DKC games are significantly harder than the SNES trilogy. Especially Returns. TF offset it a bit, but Returns, especially the original Wii version, has to be one of the most difficult games Nintendo has published in the 21st century.

Nah, Retro DKC games are significantly harder than the SNES trilogy. Especially Returns. TF offset it a bit, but Returns, especially the original Wii version, has to be one of the most difficult games Nintendo has published in the 21st century.

I'd disagree, besides maybe the Kong levels of Returns which I'd say are more difficult than the SNES games, but I haven't played 2/3's secret levels. The main game of DKCR was around as difficult to me as DKC1 and DKC2. I agree that Returns and TF are some of Nintendo's most difficult games, but I'd also put DKC 1/2 around that same level.

I'd disagree, besides maybe the Kong levels of Returns which I'd say are more difficult than the SNES games, but I haven't played 2/3's secret levels. The main game of DKCR was around as difficult to me as DKC1 and DKC2. I agree that Returns and TF are some of Nintendo's most difficult games, but I'd also put DKC 1/2 around that same level.
The main reason people think of DKC1 and 2 as "hard" is because of save point starvation, overall they were about average difficulty as far as SNES platformers go. The actual level design is much simpler and less chaotic than the Retro games. I beat those games as a kid without much issue, but Returns and TF are very challenging games all around.

Compare the final bosses in DKC1 and DKCR and the difference in complexity is clear:

The difficulty of DKC turning away potential buyers is not a great point when if we are talking about original skus, 2/3 of the best selilng DK games are among the hardest in the series (DKC1 and Returns), and if we're combining skus than the top 3 best selling games are just straight up the hardest in the series (DKC, Returns, and TF)

I know you can use brand power, awareness, marketing and all that, but if anything Tropical Freeze's extreme overperformance as a port (it outsold Returns 3DS port by over a million!) really shows that demand was always there, it just didn't have the install base

The main reason people think of DKC1 and 2 as "hard" is because of save point starvation, overall they were about average difficulty as far as SNES platformers go. The actual level design is much simpler and less chaotic than the Retro games. I beat those games as a kid without much issue, but Returns and TF are very challenging games all around.

Compare the final bosses in DKC1 and DKCR and the difference in complexity is clear:

Idk, I kind of feel the opposite, I feel like DKCR and TF are mostly just simple but difficult platforming, while the SNES games have some platforming too, but they also throw a lot of strange/more complicated stuff in. Stuff like Poison Pond and that lightning level in DKC3 are some of the first things that come to mind, also Red Hot Ride in DKC2 and the Squawks levels. I think this video can show the point too, especially at 9:30:

Something to also be aware of, Tropical Freeze on Switch has dat Funky tax.

While I think it might have contributed to its slow growth, the bigger price point certainly hasn't scared people away, and, in fact, the sales continue to grow.

And yeah, I don't think difficulty is a problem at all.

The real thing holding back DK’s sales potential in the 21st century has been lack of Kremlings. Bring them back and Nintendo can fill a banana horde with the money they will make. ;)

But actually… while I started this comment as a joke, I do think there is some correlation to it. Rare-era DK on the SNES and N64 kind of marketed itself as an “cool / edgy, but unlike Sonic is available on Nintendo” alternative to the more universally welcoming Mario. They really milked cool 90s kid interests and vibes with the franchise. I.e.: The somehow simultaneously dark yet colorful graphics were a selling point, realistic jungle/adventure theme, soundtrack full of bangers (culminating in the DK Rap), Taco Bell and Lunchables cross promotions, Diddy’s jukebox and hip hat, Cranky‘s ornery dialogue, Candy‘s flirtatiousness, Funky Kong’s existence, and K. Rool being marginally more threatening than Bowser, DKR was more chaotic than MK64. The list goes on. Some of these things are present in modern DK, but it’s a different vibe. The difference in player experience and visuals alike between DKC and SMW felt more stark than, say, NSMBU and DKCTF. To me, at least.

Where Mario hit the Disney kid demographic, DK hit the Nickelodeon kid one. And, with nothing but love to post-Rare DK, I do feel like a lot of that specific brand of personality was lost when the Rare breakup happened. I think this “edgy” theming I am referring to has been delivered really well in the Splatoon franchise, so Nintendo can pull it off without Rare. And while a brand new Switch DK is probably going to sell great regardless, a return to its “90s era personality“ (which includes Kremlings) would be a unique feel relative to Nintendo’s other Platformers.

The real thing holding back DK’s sales potential in the 21st century has been lack of Kremlings. Bring them back and Nintendo can fill a banana horde with the money they will make. ;)

But actually… while I started this comment as a joke, I do think there is some correlation to it. Rare-era DK on the SNES and N64 kind of marketed itself as an “cool / edgy, but unlike Sonic is available on Nintendo” alternative to the more universally welcoming Mario. They really milked cool 90s kid interests and vibes with the franchise. I.e.: The somehow simultaneously dark yet colorful graphics were a selling point, realistic jungle/adventure theme, soundtrack full of bangers (culminating in the DK Rap), Taco Bell and Lunchables cross promotions, Diddy’s jukebox and hip hat, Cranky‘s ornery dialogue, Candy‘s flirtatiousness, Funky Kong’s existence, and K. Rool being marginally more threatening than Bowser, DKR was more chaotic than MK64. The list goes on. Some of these things are present in modern DK, but it’s a different vibe. The difference in player experience between DKC and SMW felt more stark than, say, NSMBU and DKCTF. To me, at least.

Where Mario hit the Disney kid demographic, DK hit the Nickelodeon kid one. And, with nothing but love to post-Rare DK, I do feel like a lot of that specific brand of personality was lost when the Rare breakup happened. I think this “edgy” theming I am referring to has been delivered really well in the Splatoon franchise, so Nintendo can pull it off without Rare. And while a brand new Switch DK is probably going to sell great regardless, a return to its “90s era personality“ (which includes Kremlings) would be a unique feel relative to Nintendo’s other Platformers.
Yep, it's really quite clear why K. Rool was such a hugely requested Smash character even after he became less prominent after the 90s. The Kremlings are cool (kool?), there's really nothing else to it. Big freaky crocodile monsters are distinct and iconic, and it's always come off as asinine that people say they don't want Kremlings back because they're too overused when they haven't been in a Donkey Kong game in over 15 years, and haven't been in a new traditional DK platformer since 1999. Not to mention we're on 9 years of no new Donkey Kong game at all.

I don't even mind if the Kremlings got tweaked and repurposed to be more "Nintendo-y," but Smash proves K. Rool can shine just fine in a modern game.

I love Retro's games, but their reluctance to reference RARE's past games is really unfortunate. They really should've embraced the older games a bit more. I like they build new lore to the DK games, but to have no references to something like the Kremlings makes the games feel disconnected, and I'm not a fan of that.

What you don't understand is that a port of a game, even one that nobody played, is never going to sell like a new game (mario kart 8 deluxe is a crazy exception)
I mean look at the super mario 3d world port, that game sold 10mil copies while super Mario odyssey is over 25mil. Do you also think that there was a problem with 3d Mario that brought sales down?
Or is it simply because new games sell better than ports?

I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3 on Switch is the highest selling game in the series, and NSMBU on Switch is also trending to beat the bulk of those despite extreme fatigue for that brand. I don't know 3D world's Switch sales off hand, but it also is heading towards being the second highest selling 3D Mario isn't it? The fact is, even if you combine the sales of both TF releases, it's not at all impressive for what one would expect of that series today. Something about them definitely lost appeal to the mass market, if it's not the difficulty, what else would it be?

For me, the DKC games never found a strong gameplay identity like other popular contemporaries (Sonic, Kirby, Mario, Yoshi). I like how the primary attack moves you forward and speeds up with each kill - gave them a nice sense of momentum that I'd like new games to build on - but other than that, what were they really? Pretty by-the-numbers platformers with lousy British anthropomorphic character designs, great soundtracks and licensed-game-tier collision detection.
I think if you folded in design elements from Jungle Beat and DK 94, you could really get a stew going.

Also, I hope they never bring back the Kremlings dodges banana

Def feel the opposite lol, DK stands out the most of all Nintendo’s platformers for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom