• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What was the original source of the 2D Donkey Kong rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timeline
  • Some simplified timeline; ( I omitted out the parts where DK Vine discuss the cancelled Activision (Vicarious / Toys For Bob) Donkey Kong game.

September 20th, 2020, DK Vine(Hyle) says he has heard from multiple sources younger generation at EPD & Miyamoto are advocating for big long-term DK plans.

January 4th, 2021 DK Vine says a new epd DK game is in development.

January 6th, 2021 Nate reveals he has heard rumors of new 2D DK game by EPD.

May 13th, 2021 Nintendo Life, they claim to have a private independent source backing up the rumor.

2019?
  • It actually started in the Nintendo Direct Threads, us Nintendo Direct Thread folks heard about it since 2019.

It started in those threads, being passed off as a prediction at first. "Wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo EPD was making a DK game ahah, maybe by younger devs that grew up with Donkey Kong Country, wouldn't it be crazy ahah"

Then DK Vine made that rumor more public in late 2020, and then Nintendo Life and Nate said they have heard the same a few months later.

Since then, nothing much.

• This isn’t a comment on Zippo, as I prefer not to judge people online who I don’t even know personally, but I will say as insignificant or significant it may be, Hyle (DK Vine) did say that he considers Zippo to be his friend.

But I want to point out that Hyle has said Zippo isn’t the only source. The other Nintendo source has a nickname “Dave Throat”.

But as I’ve expressed previously, I mostly trust Nate on this issue. And the private NL source too.
    As someone who has known Hyle for nearly two decades, I trust his judgment if he comes forward with a rumor/leak that he believes to be legitimate, even if Zippo's sources are questionable. I can also believe the legitimacy of Dave Throat through things I've heard second/thirdhand regarding other subjects, but again, I cannot confirm the truth of this report on DK. Believe me when I say I want it to be real more than anything, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Back
    Top Bottom