• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour What happened to Super Mario Oddysey 2?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
I don’t think we’re getting an Odyssey sequel, but we’re definitely getting a spiritual successor to Odyssey.

there is no way they just make an Odyssey sequel after all this time

I know there's no concrete refutation of it but I simply cannot accept that they wouldn't move forward creatively. the thought is driving me mad

there is no way they just make an Odyssey sequel after all this time

I know there's no concrete refutation of it but I simply cannot accept that they wouldn't move forward creatively. the thought is driving me mad
I wonder if they’ll go the TOTK route ande experiment with different mechanics (no more Cappy enemy possession)

Oh wow. This suddenly blew up again lmao. After all these months i can confidently say that yeah its probably not gonna happen

S4Cgx.gif

It's just wild to think the wait for Tears of the Kingdom was so long, but that was announced, dated, delayed, redated, and released all before we even know what the Mario team is even working on.

Cant be a sequel at this point, and honestly (and I say this as someone who considers Odyssey one of the best games on the system), it would be dissapointing if it was just a sequel after all this time.

I think they're going much bigger, an evolution of Odyssey, but something new

Of course Odyssey is getting a sequel

You don’t make the best selling 3D Mario game and then say “let’s try something new”

Galaxy 2 isn’t the only sequel; 3D Land was followed by 3D World

Probably they wanted to launch it on their new hardware which explains the delay

I don't think we're getting Odyssey 2 at this point.

Part of the success of the switch is based on their shaking up of several of their key franchises. 3D Mario (and seemingly 2D coming soon), Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc. If we were going to get a relatively straightforward sequel like galaxy to galaxy 2, it would have had to happen on the switch.

I hope they continue to really work on further new shakeups instead of getting complacent and making relatively by the numbers sequels with the future games that come to switch 2

It's just wild to think the wait for Tears of the Kingdom was so long, but that was announced, dated, delayed, redated, and released all before we even know what the Mario team is even working on.

Cant be a sequel at this point, and honestly (and I say this as someone who considers Odyssey one of the best games on the system), it would be dissapointing if it was just a sequel after all this time.

I think they're going much bigger, an evolution of Odyssey, but something new
The next Zelda game will probably take longer than totk, these games will soon become once a decade.

The next Zelda game will probably take longer than totk, these games will soon become once a decade.
Tears of the Kingdom was developed in COVID, and probably internally delayed more than a few times because of it. This gap was an anomaly and probably isnt reflective of a normal development cycle in the coming generation

Tears of the Kingdom was developed in COVID, and probably internally delayed more than a few times because of it. This gap was an anomaly and probably isnt reflective of a normal development cycle in the coming generation
I agree, but tears of the kingdom also reused a ton,

The lore of the next world, the design itself, the new artsyle and making all of that cohesive is going to take a while

I still think the next one easily takes longer than totk.

I don't think we're getting Odyssey 2 at this point.

Part of the success of the switch is based on their shaking up of several of their key franchises. 3D Mario (and seemingly 2D coming soon), Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc. If we were going to get a relatively straightforward sequel like galaxy to galaxy 2, it would have had to happen on the switch.

I hope they continue to really work on further new shakeups instead of getting complacent and making relatively by the numbers sequels with the future games that come to switch 2
I don’t think this is true. BOTW was their best selling Zelda game. What followed it? Basically a full length DLC campaign

Nintendo tends to experiment with one game and if it’s successful refine the formula for the sequel

You see this with 3D Mario, where Galaxy 2 followed Galaxy 1, and 3D World followed 3D Land

You also see this with the NSMB series

You see this with Splatoon where both sequels refined the first one

Last edited:
I don’t think so. Elden Ring took 5 years to develop and is too powerful for the switch

It would take a long time for Zelda to reach a decade and if EPD expands, may never reach that long of a development time

I don't think it's wise to try to apply patterns to how Nintendo chooses to do sequels or not

Personally I truly believe (and hope ?) the longer it takes for them to announce a new 3D Mario game, the likelier it'll be a completely new game rather than a direct sequel tho I think they'll expand on the sandbox aspect (semi open world ?) so in that sense it'll keep the same lineage as Odyssey and games before it (Sunshine and 64).

I don't doubt it was a real game in development but now we know how much Nintendo likes to just hold on to finished games and save them for when they have empty spots to fill with their game release schedule.

I love Odyssey but I don't need a direct sequel... but would have bought it. Same mechanics, new levels? Reuse engine with fast turnaround time? Easy win for Nintendo. It probably straddled the line between perfectly good game on its own and emergency backup release if Switch sales didn't end up being as good as they were.

I bet they would have announced and released Odyssey 2 if other certain games didn't pan out/got delayed. But by now it would be so easy to copy and paste the level designs into something new for a post-Mario movie/post-Mario Wonder world.

Odyssey felt experimental and I bet the sequel would have solidified the game a bit more.

IIRC this rumor came from a focus group style pitch session presented by Sega, where they threw out a bunch of made up game concepts with one real game thrown in (Sonic Frontiers) to gauge the group's reactions.

It never existed. That kind of interest research poll always includes fake games along with the real thing they are trying to get reactions to, considering Sonic ended up being real you can assume Odyssey 2 is not.
This was not a real leak. Reminder from earlier in the thread since the thread was revitalized after a few months. :)

I don’t think this is true. BOTW was their best selling Zelda game. What followed it? Basically a full length DLC campaign

Nintendo tends to experiment with one game and if it’s successful refine the formula for the sequel

You see this with 3D Mario, where Galaxy 2 followed Galaxy 1, and 3D World followed 3D Land

You also see this with the NSMB series

You see this with Splatoon where both sequels refined the first one
All you're really saying here is that Nintendo makes sequels sometimes, with cherry picked examples indicating that it consistently happens in specific instances which isn't really the case.

Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game before BotW and Nintendo hasn't really made a game like it since. It's not success that determines whether they go back for an iterative sequel; by Nintendo's own admission in dev interviews, it happens when they still have a lot of ideas left from the prior game's development. I imagine these games are green lit quickly, before Nintendo really knows how much of a success the first one was.

If they were making Odyssey 2 next, it likely would've started very quickly, and been announced (and released) long ago. A game of Odyssey's scope should not take 5 years, especially if it's building on the already existing Odyssey.

I think the next 3D Mario game is gonna be an open world game, and whether or not the capture mechanic is there is a coin toss at this point

I'd really love an Odyssey sequel, probably some of the most fun I've had with a Mario game.

All you're really saying here is that Nintendo makes sequels sometimes, with cherry picked examples indicating that it consistently happens in specific instances which isn't really the case.

Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda game before BotW and Nintendo hasn't really made a game like it since. It's not success that determines whether they go back for an iterative sequel; by Nintendo's own admission in dev interviews, it happens when they still have a lot of ideas left from the prior game's development. I imagine these games are green lit quickly, before Nintendo really knows how much of a success the first one was.

If they were making Odyssey 2 next, it likely would've started very quickly, and been announced (and released) long ago. A game of Odyssey's scope should not take 5 years, especially if it's building on the already existing Odyssey.
No no no and no

BOTW wasn’t just the best selling Zelda game ever, it sold 30 million copies compared to Twilight Princess at just 8.6 million

Odyssey sold only 10 million more copies than the next 3D game, 3D world, but that game was also on two separate systems

It’s laughable to suggest that Nintendo doesn’t look to sales figures when deciding what to do next, besides the evidence I’ve given, there’s also Mario Kart

Yeah, talk about reinventing the wheel (literally)

Nah we're getting a new style of Mario 3D. We've never been able to predict. It's easy to say "sequel"

We'll get another sandbox-style 3D Mario, but it won't be an Odyssey 2.

Nintendo will continue along with the same general formula since it proved successful, but that isn't the same as doing an iterative or direct sequel. The sandbox approach of Super Mario 64 felt different than that of Sunshine. The course-oriented style of the Galaxy duology felt different than that of 3D World. Ocarina of Time feels different than Majora's Mask feels different than Wind Waker. As noted, Galaxy 2 and TOTK only happened the way they did because the devs had a bunch of leftover ideas from those first outings, but otherwise, these teams enjoy finding some new twist or gimmick to attach to the core formula. In this way, I have to agree that I don't really see us getting an Odyssey 2 so much as we will get a continuation of the sandbox formula, as we've already witnessed with Bowser's Fury.

If it we were getting a straight-up Odyssey 2, we would have not just known by now, but we'd probably already have played it.

We'll get another sandbox-style 3D Mario, but it won't be an Odyssey 2.

Nintendo will continue along with the same general formula since it proved successful, but that isn't the same as doing an iterative or direct sequel. The sandbox approach of Super Mario 64 felt different than that of Sunshine. The course-oriented style of the Galaxy duology felt different than that of 3D World. Ocarina of Time feels different than Majora's Mask feels different than Wind Waker. As noted, Galaxy 2 and TOTK only happened the way they did because the devs had a bunch of leftover ideas from those first outings, but otherwise, these teams enjoy finding some new twist or gimmick to attach to the core formula. In this way, I have to agree that I don't really see us getting an Odyssey 2 so much as we will get a continuation of the sandbox formula, as we've already witnessed with Bowser's Fury.

If it we were getting a straight-up Odyssey 2, we would have not just known by now, but we'd probably already have played it.
3D world to my knowledge wasn’t made because they had a bunch of leftover ideas

And we just don’t know how many ideas they had for Odyssey but didn’t make the cut

(Sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place, or if my wording is a little off, i am new here)
((SPOILERS!!! LEAKS DISCUSSED HERE!!!))
FGWuiMtXEAUPeIx

It is November 2017. A brand new 3D Mario game, Super Mario Oddyssey has just released for the brand new Nintendo Switch. SEGA also just released a brand new mainline Sonic game for all current platforms.

It is November 2019. A leak appears on 4chan detailing two new games: Super Mario Oddysey 2, and Sonic Frontiers. (See picture related for the leak).
It is April of 2023. Sonic Frontiers from said leak got confirmed to be real, and it has been out for almost half a year now and it is recieving updates. Meanwhile...Nothing about Super Mario Oddysey 2.

...What is up with that? I understand that Nintendo likes to take their sweet time to polish their games, which i respect. But still, Breath of the Wilds sequel Tears of the Kingdom is releasing in about a month, and both released in 2017 so they probably have a similar amount of development time. I know that Nintendo released 3D All Stars and 3D World + Bowsers Fury in 2020 and 2021 respectively, i thought that that could've delayed Odyssey 2's development but at the same time SEGA also released a Sonic Colors during Forces and Frontiers, so is that really an argument?

I was honestly convinced to the very bone Super Mario Oddysey 2 would be revealed during the Nintendo Direct in February, after all, it'd been so long since the last original 3D Mario game, there has to be a new one, right? Well i think we all know how that went down. And now there are (very credible) rumors that Nintendo's latter half of 2023 will be very soft. I don't think a new 3D Mario game would be part of a soft latter half, so does that rule Mario Oddysey 2 out in 2023?

Did the leaker make up the Odyssey 2 part? Is Nintendo saving Oddysey 2 for a later year? I don't know. I'm not sure, what do you think?
just because Wii has two 3D Mario on it, doesnt mean, the same will happen to Switch, the next 3D Mario is problaby been developed with Switch sucessor in mind(to be a launch title game)

Why would they start in 2019 officially? That's a really long time for the brunt of the core team to just sit around. Odyssey went gold much earlier than the game's October 2017 release date (I think June-ish 2017) .

Its development cycle really shouldn't be much different than comparable titles: Splatoon 3 or TotK. The team(s) have been working on games for a long time; the question is probably if the work has led to different or multiple games.
if the next 3D Mario is a evolution of Bowser Fury concept(a fully open world Mario), i would require 5/6 years of development, if the game release next year and it started development in 2019, it would give this 3D Mario a development cycle of 6 years, the longest development cycle for a Mario game

Tears of the Kingdom was content complete in 2022, they delayed the game to polish it.

I will say as much as I didn't think Odyssey was that great, I'm a little sad we're not getting a follow up with the Cappy mechanic, and a little surprised that so many people think they should just move onto the next mechanic because they can easily outdo it. I think a lot of people started out loving Odyssey and then eventually souring a bit on it, and looked back at the transformations as being a bit underwhelming. Which, yeah, considering how cool the marketing was for them, most of them weren't that great. But that's entirely due to implementation, and I think the actually mechanic will be pretty hard to beat. The problem was that for a game with such open environments and overpowered movement that was so easy to execute, there weren't many opportunities where the abilities felt like they needed to be used. But this doesn't really change the fact that the Cappy transformations theoretically can lead to a perfect mixture of small linear challenges (like a course clear game) and still allow the game to have the movement style of a sandbox game.

And we actually see this in Mario Odyssey! With stuff like the woodpecker (?) transformation at Bowser's castle, where it's way more convenient to just use that than do it yourself and it doesn't feel like a platforming challenge that would be easy to do with Mario's base abilities. A Mario Odyssey 2 with some tightened up moon design and some new maps would be able to improve on the originally drastically.

Woodpecker and onion bois were the best transformations.
Yeah they were really fun! Love using the onion bois and that feeling when you do a jump after you've stretched them as far as possible! There were some other fun ones in there, like the swimming transformations.

I guess the trick is, if you're going to do an expansive moveset for Mario, the gimmick should only improve the moveset and not take most of it away.

But why quote me at all? Don't bring me into random shit.
Bruh, I quoted you to clear something up for you because you replied to a comment confused. If you aren't confused anymore now that I've cleared it up for you, then it's all good. What's the problem? You now know what part of the reply was relevant to you. It's over.

I will say as much as I didn't think Odyssey was that great, I'm a little sad we're not getting a follow up with the Cappy mechanic, and a little surprised that so many people think they should just move onto the next mechanic because they can easily outdo it. I think a lot of people started out loving Odyssey and then eventually souring a bit on it, and looked back at the transformations as being a bit underwhelming. Which, yeah, considering how cool the marketing was for them, most of them weren't that great. But that's entirely due to implementation, and I think the actually mechanic will be pretty hard to beat. The problem was that for a game with such open environments and overpowered movement that was so easy to execute, there weren't many opportunities where the abilities felt like they needed to be used. But this doesn't really change the fact that the Cappy transformations theoretically can lead to a perfect mixture of small linear challenges (like a course clear game) and still allow the game to have the movement style of a sandbox game.

And we actually see this in Mario Odyssey! With stuff like the woodpecker (?) transformation at Bowser's castle, where it's way more convenient to just use that than do it yourself and it doesn't feel like a platforming challenge that would be easy to do with Mario's base abilities. A Mario Odyssey 2 with some tightened up moon design and some new maps would be able to improve on the originally drastically.
YES!

This is what I mean when I say there will be an Odyssey sequel

The cappy mechanic is just too good to forget, it’s basically a way to have limitless power ups

Back
Top Bottom