• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Predictions What "Dormant" Nintendo Franchise Do You Expect To Make A Return In The Next Generation?

Blue Storm's water puts every screenshot that one guy obsessed with water posted to miiverse years ago to shame. Would be cool to see what they could do graphically with a switch successor. Not to mention, there aren't many jet ski racing games. Hydro Thunder rereleased and that's like all I can think of off the dome.

Other than Time Twist, I'd agree. That game can stay buried in concrete on the ocean floor, and I don't think Nintendo would mind.
Yeah, there's so much controversial content even now that would set the Internet ablaze. I also doubt they'd bring back the licenses for their old sports games.

Yeah, there's so much controversial content even now that would set the Internet ablaze. I also doubt they'd bring back the licenses for their old sports games.
They aren't an exact match but I feel like you could argue that Wii/Switch Sports are sort of a continuation of the old sports games.

First time I ever heard of this game. I skim a video. My jaw drops to the floor.
There's a reason it's one of the few first party Famicom games Nintendo's never rereleased.

(Or even acknowledge again, I think.)

Okay, Time Twist is 1000% off the table, but how about a different Pax Softnica game?

latest

Golden Sun, probably.

Mario & Luigi is definitely going to return; but with a new developer; for better or worse
I'm not sure if M&L is a lock to return. They still have Paper Mario and I could see there being a push to go with the "Mario RPG" branding after how well the remake sold.

Honestly, I'd like a Wario & Waluigi game. Make it similar to Mario & Luigi but double down on the silliness and make it weird.

Last edited:
I'm less curious what Nintendo might do with Eternal Darkness than I am which studio they'd ask to work on it. The original creators are off the table for very obvious reasons.
I would imagine Denis Dyak's new studio (Apocalypses Studio) could work on it. I think the theme of their first game (Deadhaus Sonata) is also inspired by Lovecraft like ED.

I would imagine Denis Dyak's new studio (Apocalypses Studio) could work on it. I think the theme of their first game (Deadhaus Sonata) is also inspired by Lovecraft like ED.

Again, the original creators are off the table. Dyack burned his bridges with Nintendo.

Hopefully a new Pilotwings or Wave Race would love to see a new Nintendogs and Tomodachi Life as well

Again, the original creators are off the table. Dyack burned his bridges with Nintendo.
I know he left them during the Wii era to make "AAA" games for other consoles, but what exactly did he do to burn his bridges with Nintendo?

Didn't Nintendo give him their blessing to make his Shadow of the Eternals (ED 2) Kickstarter that failed? I could swear I remember Dyack saying Nintnedo gave him permission for it. He could have been lying, of course.

Last edited:
I know he left them during the Wii era to make "AAA" games for other consoles, but what exactly did he do to burn his bridges with Nintendo?

Didn't Nintendo give him their blessing to make his Shadow of the Eternals (ED 2) Kickstarter that failed? I could swear I remember Dyack saying Nintnedo gave him permission for it. He could have been lying, of course.
Dyack was likely lying. He wouldn't need Nintendo's permission to make a spiritual successor. He also ran Silicon Knights into the ground after illegal usage of the Unreal Engine resulted in the halted sales of Too Human and X-Men Destiny among other penalties of the lawsuit the company lost.

Nintendo will never work with him again.

I could also see someone at Nintendo thinking "hey survival-horror's kinda popping off, maybe we should try doing something with Eternal Darkness". My big hope though is some kind of Wario platformer
Not that Nintendo can't do two series with similar themes, but since Luigi's Mansion has been doing really well recently, they might just try to so "survival horror lite" mechanics with that series instead.
I'm less curious what Nintendo might do with Eternal Darkness than I am which studio they'd ask to work on it. The original creators are off the table for very obvious reasons.
Nightdive Studios wants to do a remake but Nintendo keeps turning them down.

Only hope if they true revive this series, it's as good as the N64 game, not like the GCN that kill the franchise.
Blue Storm's water puts every screenshot that one guy obsessed with water posted to miiverse years ago to shame. Would be cool to see what they could do graphically with a switch successor. Not to mention, there aren't many jet ski racing games. Hydro Thunder rereleased and that's like all I can think of off the dome.
Agreed on both counts. I only ever played Blue Storm until Wave Race 64 released on Wii U VC so sheer nostalgia ekes out ever more, but the game definitely plays better on 64 even if GC has the perks of improved water visuals and 4 player multiplayer.

I just hope that they do a couple throwbacks with the aged versions of the characters that came with the original series as coaches in the tutorials or something for a new generation.

Not that Nintendo can't do two series with similar themes, but since Luigi's Mansion has been doing really well recently, they might just try to so "survival horror lite" mechanics with that series instead
If Next Level wants to take the series back to it's more "basically classic Resident Evil, but for kids" route and a little less of the "goofy cartoony adventure that happens to also have ghosts" style they've gone for, I'd be all for that

But as is, personally I don't think an Eternal Darkness revival would really be stepping on any toes by overlapping too closely with Luigi's Mansion; definitely not to a significantly greater degree than any of their various platformer series do to each other

A more serious response from me, I suspect we'll see a lot of Gamecube and Wii titles getting revives on Switch 2 in the same way we saw Metroid Prime and Pikmin 1 + 2 come out on the Switch. Even if they are just eShop titles, I would fully expect Eternal Darkness, Sin & Punishment 2 and Punch-Out Wii to all get brought over at some point in the next generation. Hopefully the first Chibi-Robo as well.

In terms of new games though, Star Fox will probably get something next gen (even if its a remake again). And there's maybe a chance of Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi Life getting new entries. I wouldn't rule it out at least. Those are the only three I'm pretty convinced we'll see return anyway.

If Next Level wants to take the series back to it's more "basically classic Resident Evil, but for kids" route and a little less of the "goofy cartoony adventure that happens to also have ghosts" style they've gone for, I'd be all for that
Agreed; I do enjoy the Luigi's Mansion series but I'm worried it's following the Stranger Things route. First entry was spooky, genuinely creepy, high stakes. Since it's progressed it became a little more lavish and while I appreciate the over the top nature, so much has been built on top of its pre-existing identity that it's become lost what originally made it so endearing in the first place.

Could a "dormant" Nintendo series request be a return to form for Luigi's Mansion/Paper Mario*?

*I'm holding my breath that with TTYD HD there's a greater than nil chance of this happening sooner rather than later.

Agreed; I do enjoy the Luigi's Mansion series but I'm worried it's following the Stranger Things route. First entry was spooky, genuinely creepy, high stakes. Since it's progressed it became a little more lavish and while I appreciate the over the top nature, so much has been built on top of its pre-existing identity that it's become lost what originally made it so endearing in the first place.

Could a "dormant" Nintendo series request be a return to form for Luigi's Mansion/Paper Mario*?

*I'm holding my breath that with TTYD HD there's a greater than nil chance of this happening sooner rather than later.
considering LM3 sold about 5X as many copies as the original I doubt it
also people over blown the originals "Spookiness" it's really only that the standard ghosts have better designs in the orginal

I feel like people only talk about Luigi's Mansion 1 being creepy because they were like 7 when they first played it, that game is goofy.

I wish the answer was punch-out!! but i don't think it's ever coming back.

Or if it does it'll just be another pseudo remake of the NES game.

AFAIK, Silicon Knights was in the process of developing an actual Eternal Darkness 2... then Epic won the lawsuit and the studio went bankrupt. The bankruptcy obviously killed the project, but I'd imagine that the circumstances behind the bankruptcy (cries of managerial cruelty/incompetence from former staff and the whole "stealing engine code" thing) made Nintendo wary of working with him again, hence why Precursor was working on a spiritual successor as opposed to a true follow-up. If Nintendo gave any blessings for Shadow of the Eternals, it might have been in regards to the sanity effects patent, which Nintendo still had in the 2010s? But that could have easily been "if you can actually fund this project of yours, I guess we'll let you pay to use this mechanic" deal.

Custom Robo, as others have said. While it may be too much to call it a staple, it's had a nice storied run and seems to be a cult classic among some circles. Bringing it back would be a boon to the franchise and Nintendo IMO.

Golden Sun, since that series most certainly is a cult classic of sorts. Nintendo isn't afraid to have multiple types of RPGs on their systems, and bringing this series back would awesome.

If some of these franchises don't appear in the final days of the Switch, then I'd expect them to appear in Year 2 or 3 of the next generation, after things have "stabilized" and Nintendo is comfortable with some experimentation.

Excluding possible cross gen outcomes(first and foremost Switch that also release on next gen, AKA Donkey Kong if it comes next year), I think Star Fox is definitely due. I believe they've been experimenting for a while, Star Link collab tested the waters, and they might've not found the right team to make until like 2022 which would make next gen exclusive development more likely. I think it's likely a Pikmin 4 scenario, where they've been collecting ideas since the last installment(or since Star Link) but only found the right team to co-develop the game later on. It can be either early next gen(2026) or mid next gen(2028). I don't think it's gonna be late gen like Pikmin 4 tho.

Now that I think about it, F-Zero got 99 and it was probably a huge success, it'll probably get GX Remastered on Switch but a new game is almost certainly mid/late Switch 2 material.

I'm gonna say the same thing about Kid Icarus, Uprising Remake comes cross gen, and a new installment as next gen exclusive.

And just while we're at it... Super Mario RPG 2(tho there are other RPG series) and Another Code and Advance Wars. So late life Switch remakes all get sequels on Switch 2.

Does F-Zero 99 not count?
Yesn't. It's got some new stuff but it's identity and gameplay are all back to the first game so it doesn't really feel like a follow up to the sequels, especially in track design and handling.
I think the best way to put it is that Mario 35 is a new release for 2D Mario games, but because of it (mostly) being SMB1 physics and levels, it doesn't really feel like a brand new 2D Mario in the way that Wonder did.

The only thing I'm 100% expecting (aside from Donkey Kong/Star Fox which barely count) is Rhythm Heaven. I think they'll have it ready to go within the first 2 years for sure

I am convinced a proper Chibi Robo game could do gangbusters.

Open ish world. You're small. Plug in to recharge (a bit like coming up for breath in subnautica), eventually building out batteries etc.

I think Nintendo see it too.

I just checked the Wikipedia for this game and my eyes bulged out of my skull basically every paragraph holy shit
No wonder no one talks about that game
When the least controversial figure in your time travel game is Alexander, you know you cooked with gas

It is weird though that the article only mentions NOA's anti-religious stance and not the fact that it was a Famicom Adventure game in 1991 as the reason for not translating it. Most of the company probably said "no" before they even knew about the content

Everyone else has given you some answers, but there's no coming back from talking smack about Nintendo to the press like he did on his way out almost immediately after the release of Twin Snakes. The well is fully and truly poisoned and I don't know how Dyack continues to sucker people into his nonsense.

I think now that Pizza Tower exists maybe they can revisit the WarioLand3 Metroidvania lite style?

I would love to like Pizza Tower but it's just too damn ugly for me visually. No disrespect to the artists, but I just can't stand staring at the game. I would be happy with Wario Land 4 on the NSO, and hopefully then WL5 on Switch 2.

Come on guys.... Lets have Punch Out back in the Switch Ring... I would be happy with just HD Port of Punch Out Wii on Switch / Switch 2
But with a new game, you can do small RPG mechanics... Take something from Victorius Boxer (Hajime No Ippo) from the PS2 and make a fun new game of Punch Out.

Punch Out deserves just like Kid Icarus and F-Zero some love from Nintendo fans.

I would love to like Pizza Tower but it's just too damn ugly for me visually. No disrespect to the artists, but I just can't stand staring at the game. I would be happy with Wario Land 4 on the NSO, and hopefully then WL5 on Switch 2.
Antonblast might be more up your alley.
Also, this is just semantics, but we already have a sequel to Wario Land 4, it's Shake It.

Nitnendo sports games feel really unlikely to me.

They aren’t green lighting randomly they are green lighting what they think can work in a modern setting.

Another code and fdc are big examples of this, modern times are much more receptive to these types of games.

On the other hand arcades experiences are very rare and never sell super well in a modern setting.

If they are broguht back same with star fox they would need to go through drastic changes.

I'm not sure if M&L is a lock to return. They still have Paper Mario and I could see there being a push to go with the "Mario RPG" branding after how well the remake sold.

Honestly, I'd like a Wario & Waluigi game. Make it similar to Mario & Luigi but double down on the silliness and make it weird.
Actually think it’s more likely they’ll double down on M&L.
I prefer Traditional RPG Paper Mario, but M&L has more games that are consistent and a bigger fanbase (Paper Mario’s fanbase is extremely divided)
They could keep going on Paper Mario’s “experimental” route, or maybe develop some sort of in-between that contains the stories and RPG stuff of the originals, but with an experimental twist like the paint and origami.

M&L has a more clear path.

The biggest problem is developer, imo.

And you’re right, Super Mario RPG still exists on it’s own, and frankly i’d be shocked if they aren’t working on a sequel (it sold very well in just a month for Square RPG standards)
So that’s inevitably going to add a third pillar of Mario RPG

I'd like to see Starfy or Wario Land make a return. We need a wider range of 2D platformers from Nintendo, particularly if series like Kirby transition to being 3D first and foremost (and rightfully so - I adore Kirby and the Forgotten Land).

Of those which are more realistic, I wouldn't be surprised if M&L makes a return. Seems like the way forward is to have Paper Mario be more of an adventure game with RPG elements (this doesn't preclude partners and proper EXP!), and then M&L is more outwardly an RPG.

Back
Top Bottom