• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Predictions What "Dormant" Nintendo Franchise Do You Expect To Make A Return In The Next Generation?

DK (if it doesn't come out this year) and I'm feeling Punch-Out for some reason

(Not counting ports/remakes)

Likely:
Donkey Kong
Star Fox
2D Zelda
Mario Kart

Maybe:
Kid Icarus
F-Zero
Tomadachi Life
Pushmo

Doubtful:
Startropics
Golden Sun
Wario Land

TBH, looking at the last few years, I think we'll keep seeing a lot of unexpected revivals. Like, if Another freaking Code can come back, I'd say anything and everything is on the table

For instance, I think they'll probably make something happen with Golden Sun. I could also see someone at Nintendo thinking "hey survival-horror's kinda popping off, maybe we should try doing something with Eternal Darkness". My big hope though is some kind of Wario platformer

TBH, looking at the last few years, I think we'll keep seeing a lot of unexpected revivals. Like, if Another freaking Code can come back, I'd say anything and everything is on the table

For instance, I think they'll probably make something happen with Golden Sun. I could also see someone at Nintendo thinking "hey survival-horror's kinda popping off, maybe we should try doing something with Eternal Darkness". My big hope though is some kind of Wario platformer
I'm less curious what Nintendo might do with Eternal Darkness than I am which studio they'd ask to work on it. The original creators are off the table for very obvious reasons.

I'm less curious what Nintendo might do with Eternal Darkness than I am which studio they'd ask to work on it. The original creators are off the table for very obvious reasons.
In a perfect world, I'd love to see what Remedy would do with that series

More pragmatically, I think the likeliest move would probably be to see if the Fatal Frame team at Koei Tecmo is available

Donkey Kong and F-Zero feel very likely. Star Fox is a maybe. Punch-Out and Golden Sun could happen.

I wouldn't count on anything beyond that.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of an Excitebike/truck game popping up at some point either

especially if they keep doing the "99" series of NSO games. it's like tailor made for one of those

sin-punishment-concept-02.jpg

658931.jpg

With AC and Detective Club, I see Hotel Dusk getting the limelight, a remake but still. I think Golden Sun has a shot, but the my pick would be Custom Robo, mechs are popular and Armored Core is too hardcore. Why not bring back a more layback but competitive game.

We're overdue for a localization of Marvelous: Another Treasure Island. Also, yeah, Hotel Dusk feels like it should be inevitable now that Another Code's back.

Eternal Darkness is an interesting one to think about too. Has anyone tried that new Alone in the Dark reboot thing? It actually gives me Eternal Darkness vibes at times with the way it handles quickly, seamlessly changing the environment and transporting you different places. With Nintendo owning the patent on "sanity effects" to actually do that in response to the player instead of scripted stuff a modern game could be a lot of fun.

While I would love to see Custom Robo and Hotel Dusk make their glorious return, I'm not gonna hold my breath anytime soon.

Starfox and DK seem most likely within the first two years, F-Zero not as big a chance but I think it could happen within years 3-5 of Switch 2.

I could also see Kid Icarus getting a new entry if Luigi's Mansion 2 does well enough to justify further 3DS ports (assuming KI:U is among them)

We got Starfox 64 3D on 3DS, Starfox Zero on WiiU and a huge amount of Starfox content in Starlink.

Why is it still considered a "dormant" franchise, especially when putting it next to Custom Robo, Golden Sun, or Wave Race?

Star Fox
Donkey Kong
Sin & Punishment
Mysterious Murasame Castle
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Golden Sun
Hotel Dusk
Pilotwings
Last Story
Nintendogs
Rhythm Heaven

Last edited:
I'm only considering IP's that have gotten literally nothing this generation, so DK, F-Zero, and 2D Zelda don't count.

Feasible:
Kid Icarus
Golden Sun
Tomodachi Life
Hotel Dusk
Rhythm Heaven
Mario & Luigi

I'm hoping that Another Code did well enough for us to get a remake of the Kyle Hyde/Hotel Dusk games. I'm also thinking that Golden Sun and Wave Race both have a shot.
We got Starfox 64 3D on 3DS, Starfox Zero on WiiU and a huge amount of Starfox content in Starlink.

Why is it still considered a "dormant" franchise, especially when putting it next to Custom Robo, Golden Sun, or Wave Race?
NGL, this is basically what I rant to myself whenever someone calls it a "dormant" series. Even if one wants to discount Starlink, a dormant series in my mind is one that hasn't had a new entry (be it wholly new or a remake) in at least a decade. Star Fox still has a few more years before I feel comfortable saying that it's in any way neglected.

It's been so long since we had a new Wave Race and 1080, would love to see those make a return.

The Kyle Hyde games are probably a good shout after Another Code got remakes

I'd say Mario & Luigi could have a decent chance if Nintendo have found a development studio for it (leaning towards ArtePiazza getting to do more stuff after Mario RPG so Mario & Luigi feels like a good fit)

Maybe Golden Sun? I don't know how much capability Camelot have for making an HD RPG game but they've definitely had time to look into it after getting both Mario Tennis and Golf on Switch

I remember someone from Nintendo talking about Wave Race a few years back so that's another one I think could be in with a chance.

It still surprises me that no segment of Koei Tecmo has ever been tapped by Nintendo to do something with Murasame, after they bothered to make a nice little side mode for it in Samurai Warriors 3.

Seeing how the Nintendo side of things has yet to get a "Nioh-like" of its own, Murasame would definitely be a good choice for such in my book. Make it happen~!

Don't forget an official release of Star Fox 2, at long last (SNES Classic, then Switch NSO)!

But to answer your query: Probably for the same reason Metroid was considered such, until recently. Metroid never really "went away", either, but all it took was some divisive entries to really put a damper on fans' parade, and make it seem that the series has been neglected and forgotten. Barring amiibo, it's not like there's merch to be had, either. And I was just in Nintendo NYC, two weeks ago!

When StarFox follows a similar pattern to its fellow space-faring series, where it gets some very welcome signs of life, in the form of a well-received remake/remaster, and then follow that up with the next definitive game, I'm sure this type of thing will come to an end.

....Does Metroid Prime count?

Other than that I could see a new BoxBoy game being a quick and easy project, and I could see an all-new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game happening as a co-production given how well the latest Shiren did.

Might be interesting: Mysterious Murasame Castle as a short-but-tons-of-secrets game in just about any genre. Roguelike, action, Zelda-esque, whatever. Just pure "what can I find this time".

I want but will never happen: StarTropics reimagined as a fully open world action adventure game. Two dozen islands, hidden dungeons you have to uncover through observation and experimentation, and TotK physics with an even broader set of tools to play with it.

Race franchises, especially if switch 2 have trigger buttons. So:

• F-zero (with the success of 99, that is the most probably to happen).
  • Wave Race (there is a Easter egg on Mario Movie)
  • Excite Truck (best race from Wii, a port or remake can be enough).

The issue of the thread was what we expected. It very, very quickly became a list of what we want instead.

Since it’s just a matter of giving names that we want, I want to talk about ice climbers.

I hope they're readying a new fzero. I feel like the market for MK has been saturated with MK8 DLC, Tour and Live Circuit. I feel like that series needs a major overhaul for it to pique my interest again. There are way too many options and menus! I miss the accessibility and expediency of the original...

• Star Fox
  • F-Zero
  • Excitebike
  • Wave Race
  • The Last Story
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Custom Robo
  • Golden Sun
  • GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo own it's rights, bring the XBLA version)
  • Sin & Punishment
  • Punch-Out
  • 1080⁰
  • Wario Land
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Soma Bringer

it's probably gonna be Fzero or Star Fox, or maybe Tomodachi Life (even though I'm not sure if it could be called a dormant franchise cause the last game was released in the prev generation)

Golden Sun, F-Zero in a something more than a 99 game, Hotel Dusk, Custom Robo and Mario Sluggers

How about a franchise that never made it to launch because it was cancelled despite some hype?

Project H.A.M.M.E.R springs to mind.

Would be cool if that got resurrected.

F-Zero would be a hard sell with the success of Mario Kart 8, I'd feel. And I think people forget how much of a massive undertaking F-Zero GX was, it's hard to see a follow-up to it being anything less than masterful.

Kid Icarus is something I'd like to see the most, though. I appreciate the older games and Uprising was stellar.

Mario Baseball/Sluggers seems like a decent bet to me. I’m still hoping that comes out on Switch or is cross-gen.

Back
Top Bottom