• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Predictions What "Dormant" Nintendo Franchise Do You Expect To Make A Return In The Next Generation?

I really want Mario&Luigi but I don't expect it.

Probably DK for sure tho

A third F-Zero game with antigravity track design would be nice, but I guess it's not technically dormant, as dubiously original as F-Zero 99 is.

Rhythm Heaven hopefully, but they could just reveal that in this (presumably) last year, it's usually been a fairly late release for whatever console it's on.

Puzzle League deserves to at least get a free (whatever they end up calling the replacement to) NSO-only title, doesn't even have to be a 99 game.

Wave Race (there is a Easter egg on Mario Movie)
I don't know if having an easter egg in the movie with an insane amount of easter eggs from a bunch of series means much of anything. You could go to the Mario Wiki's "references to other media page" and find most series Nintendo has ever made, there's a reference to Shaberu! DS Oryōri Navi of all things in that.

I was going to say Star Fox, but the Starlink collab leads me to not consider it completely dormant, even if I would have liked to have a full game on the Switch.

So with that said... Kid Icarus is what comes to mind. I'll take a port of Uprising. Please. Just give me something.

RETURN OR STAR FOX PEOPLE: could you see Starlink as a replacement this gen?

I still need to go through it but you’re very much Fox and crew from my early playing.

I would love a new Tomodachi Life. My hope is the next console can bring back some of the built in social apps and mii's will be prominent again. Tomodachi Life could then take advantage of those features.

Ever Oasis deserves a second chance.

Also seconding Rhythm Heaven and Picross 3D.

Chibi Robo

iu

Last edited:
F-Zero would be a hard sell with the success of Mario Kart 8, I'd feel. And I think people forget how much of a massive undertaking F-Zero GX was, it's hard to see a follow-up to it being anything less than masterful.
By following this logic, no other FPS will sell because of Call of Duty and Battlefield, or no other open world title can sell because of GTA. Sorry, but this is a silly assumption.

I never got where this "F-Zero GX was a failure" myth came from. There isn't a reliable source indicating this as a fact and actually, according to Nagoshi, sold above 1M.

Anyway, Nintendo managed to bring back to light far more niche franchises, like Famicom Detective Club and Another Code, so I don't get any reasoning for why F-Zero (and many other dormant franchises) should be vaulted.

I find it odd and kinda funny how Nintendo keeps promoting Pikmin in a general sense long after 4's release despite having nothing new to show or talk about. They're simply saying "FYI Pikmin is NOT a dormant franchise" with no further comment, similar to how Animal Crossing gets a permanent rotation on the NSO app despite being long past its final update, they just want us to know we'll likely always get one of these games per generation.

We've long been hoping for an F-Zero revival, but what's currently going on with 99 and spotlights via NSO retro game drops really does feel like the early rumblings for something substantial. I don't believe in the theory of smaller releases gauging interest to greenlight bigger things, decisions have usually already been made by that time, it's more typically a strategy to drum up interest and attention for a property.

And I must once again remind people we live in a time when Metroid Dread, Advance Wars, and two seperate concurrently announced Mario RPG titles exist. No wish is too unrealistic or redundant anymore.

I never got where this "F-Zero GX was a failure" myth came from. There isn't a reliable source indicating this as a fact and actually, according to Nagoshi, sold above 1M.
The simple fact that Nintendo themselves have never reported it (or GP Legend and Climax, for that matter) to actually have sold over a million.

Nagoshi is either mistaken or dare I say, lying.

The simple fact that Nintendo themselves have never reported it (or GP Legend and Climax, for that matter) to actually have sold over a million.

Nagoshi is either mistaken or dare I say, lying.
Neither these numbers show exactly how much it sold, either. Calling a failure just because didn't sold 1M sounds naive at best.

Nintendo (and many other publishers) managed to go on with many niche franchises among different generations, many of them still alive even today, and brought some of then back to life more recently, they were never million sellers to begin with.

Anyway, this was more than 2 decades ago and for a system that it's widely regarded as one of Nintendo's biggest fumbles. The excuses given to justify F-Zero's long absence are full of holes and can be questionated.

Nagoshi once implied that GX was not given a major budget, saying
"After it released, I got a call from Nintendo. They said they wanted to see all the source code for the game, and wanted me to explain how we'd made that game, in that timeframe and with that budget, in detail. They were wondering how we'd done it - they couldn't figure it out."
GX probably just shipped 1.5 mil to retailers, and sold less than that. Don't think either were necessarily "lies". Probably wasn't a failure for not making it through all of that, especially in the Gamecube era when many series didn't make it through that. What probably caused a lot of F-Zero's financial troubles was more so Nintendo and Namco making EXPENSIVE arcade hardware and probably failing to sell those worldwide with the arcade market dying outside of Japan in the early 2000s (seen especially clearly by the map of all AX machine locations).

If anything, the anime was probably the biggest nail in the coffin, constantly having low views due to being confused about what they wanted it's audience to be, unlike the more popular video game animes at the time with Sonic X and Kirby Right Back At Ya. Making animation ain't cheap, and I'll honestly never understand why Nintendo put as much faith into F-Zero as they were putting into Pokemon at the time.

F-Zero's largely underperformed because it's been the first testing grounds for some of Nintendo's weirdest (and presumably more expensive) ideas. Satellite games, the N64DD, late Arcade hardware with functionality with a home release, a reboot with a heavy anime tie in, and then died on a Japan only game that used a lot of the same assets as the game that came out a year before performing terribly (but still performed better in it's first 3 days than the first week of Everybody 1-2 Switch in Japan at least, I just think that's funny).

But I think Nintendo's learned from that finally. 20 years ago was a lifetime ago for a lot of people. F-Zero doesn't have to take over Mario Kart, it will always have it's audience, however small. A lot of people who've never touched the series before have gotten into it from F-Zero 99, and that's great to see. A free title with mostly reused assets was the low budget testing ground for this series. For the problems I have with 99, I think it's actually shown Nintendo that a full on new game would not be a financially terrible decision, as long as it's released at the correct time and they don't flood the market with 4 new games in like 2 years and order another 51 episodes of an anime. (Though honestly I wouldn't mind that, personally)

GX probably just shipped 1.5 mil to retailers, and sold less than that. Don't think either were necessarily "lies". Probably wasn't a failure for not making it through all of that, especially in the Gamecube era when many series didn't make it through that. What probably caused a lot of F-Zero's financial troubles was more so Nintendo and Namco making EXPENSIVE arcade hardware and probably failing to sell those worldwide with the arcade market dying outside of Japan in the early 2000s (seen especially clearly by the map of all AX machine locations).

If anything, the anime was probably the biggest nail in the coffin, constantly having low views due to being confused about what they wanted it's audience to be, unlike the more popular video game animes at the time with Sonic X and Kirby Right Back At Ya. Making animation ain't cheap, and I'll honestly never understand why Nintendo put as much faith into F-Zero as they were putting into Pokemon at the time.

F-Zero's largely underperformed because it's been the first testing grounds for some of Nintendo's weirdest (and presumably more expensive) ideas. Satellite games, the N64DD, late Arcade hardware with functionality with a home release, a reboot with a heavy anime tie in, and then died on a Japan only game that used a lot of the same assets as the game that came out a year before performing terribly (but still performed better in it's first 3 days than the first week of Everybody 1-2 Switch in Japan at least, I just think that's funny).

But I think Nintendo's learned from that finally. 20 years ago was a lifetime ago for a lot of people. F-Zero doesn't have to take over Mario Kart, it will always have it's audience, however small. A lot of people who've never touched the series before have gotten into it from F-Zero 99, and that's great to see. A free title with mostly reused assets was the low budget testing ground for this series. For the problems I have with 99, I think it's actually shown Nintendo that a full on new game would not be a financially terrible decision, as long as it's released at the correct time and they don't flood the market with 4 new games in like 2 years and order another 51 episodes of an anime. (Though honestly I wouldn't mind that, personally)
yeah.

F zero Gx wasnt where the franchise dead.

Nintnedo still kept doing stuff with it, the stuff that came after killed it, and you can tell because no one talks about it and barely anyone knows f zero exists after gx.

if gx sold so bad it killed the franchise it wouldn't have spawned an anime and two gameboy advance games.

yeah.

F zero Gx wasnt where the franchise dead.

Nintnedo still kept doing stuff with it, the stuff that came after killed it, and you can tell because no one talks about it and barely anyone knows f zero exists after gx.

if gx sold so bad it killed the franchise it wouldn't have spawned an anime and two gameboy advance games.
I wouldn't exactly say GX spawned them per se, cause they were being developed alongside GX and released only a couple of months afterwards. GX sold far better than GP Legend at least, and the GBA had a much bigger install base.

Donkey kong and mario kart.

Both were ported, so for me that doesnt count as fresh installments

I hope starfox... and a new 2d metroid

Wario Land probably is my biggest Switch2 wish at this point. I think now that Pizza Tower exists maybe they can revisit the WarioLand3 Metroidvania lite style?

But if we're talking about something likely Id say chances are we get SMRPG2 or a new true PaperMario game with RPG elements and all. The fact that either of these is a real possibility now is kinda nuts.

i would legit kill for another entry into the magical vacation series. the characters are so charming and the art is gorgeously unique. besides that we need another life sim with the burgeoning interest in "cozy" games so pls tomodachi life lol

Not counting anything out. We got Famicom Detective Club and Another Code this generation.

Excellent post. This needs to be thrown at the face of the brainwashed fanboys repeating this for decades in order to damage control how bad Nintendo mismanaged the franchise.

F-Zero GX wasn't a failure as some try to paint it. Actually, from the bunch of 4 games before being shafted, it was, by far, the most succesful. It's important to remind that both GP Legend and Climax got bad reviews at the time and scared away gamers from buying it.

I don't get why Nintendo decided to milk the franchise like that, they never did it before on previous generations, as there was only one installment of the series.

"After it released, I got a call from Nintendo. They said they wanted to see all the source code for the game, and wanted me to explain how we'd made that game, in that timeframe and with that budget, in detail. They were wondering how we'd done it - they couldn't figure it out."

Well, this actually indicates Nintendo didn't had much faith into the franchise. This can explain why there's an obvious bad blood livin it up till today between them and Nagoshi.

Last edited:
Hotel Dusk.

Sin and Punishment will never happen because Treasure is still a physical entity, meaning Nintendo will go directly to Treasure for that game. Treasure does not have an active development crew, so it will go no further than that.

If you want to see Sin and Punishment again, Treasure must perish.

Are you willing to sacrifice Treasure for your own material gain?

I know it's a long shot but Custom Robo hasn't been around since the DS era as far as I recall, and Nintendo doesn't have much of a contemporary series to fill any remotely similar gap. With solid online, the amount of customization those games offered (especially the GameCube entry with a single player RPG style story mode), folks might be more inclined to give the series a chance.

I'd love it if they'd revisit Custom Robo. Maybe it's the limited platforms I tend to gravitate towards, but outside of the recent Armored Core revival, I can't think of a single game or series that currently sells and plays similarly. Maybe some gatcha mech games a I'm unaware of?

Sin & Punishment is another series that I hope Nintendo doesn't let die. That and Starfox, who isn't exactly popping up often in announcements, were my bread and butter shooting fixes. Another genre that Nintendo seems to ignore more or less, outside of Splatoon, which is great and all but plays very differently being multi focused.

By following this logic, no other FPS will sell because of Call of Duty and Battlefield, or no other open world title can sell because of GTA. Sorry, but this is a silly assumption.

Imamura himself implied this very sentiment. Whether you disagree with it or not, it's damning that somebody who used to be heavily involved with the franchise would say such a thing. Or we can look at MK8's success and see it as a demonstration that there's a market for racers among Nintendo games.

And I never implied that GX was a failure, if anything I said the exact opposite and think a modern F-Zero would have a hard time living up to its legacy. Even after GX/AX Imamura said that he was at a loss of where the franchise could be taken next, which I think plays into more why we haven't seen a new F-Zero outside of a novel new idea like 99.

I want but will never happen: StarTropics reimagined as a fully open world action adventure game. Two dozen islands, hidden dungeons you have to uncover through observation and experimentation, and TotK physics with an even broader set of tools to play with it.
I mainly want this to happen solely to put an end to the years of rumors that Nintendo is reviving the franchise. (Retro Studios is most commonly suggested as the developer)

it would also lead to some interesting problems for Japan in particular, as those games were never localized there even to this day.

Imamura himself implied this very sentiment. Whether you disagree with it or not, it's damning that somebody who used to be heavily involved with the franchise would say such a thing. Or we can look at MK8's success and see it as a demonstration that there's a market for racers among Nintendo games.

And I never implied that GX was a failure, if anything I said the exact opposite and think a modern F-Zero would have a hard time living up to its legacy. Even after GX/AX Imamura said that he was at a loss of where the franchise could be taken next, which I think plays into more why we haven't seen a new F-Zero outside of a novel new idea like 99.
LOL, this comes from the same company who allowed stuff like Advance Wars, Famicom Detective Club, Another Code and Cruis'n Blast to come back to life on Switch, makes absolute zero sense to claim such a thing about F-Zero. It's very disappointing the bad faith Nintendo have with the franchise.

Mysterious Murasame Castle. Suda, Kamiya, KT have all shown interest in doing something with the ip. Anyone of these parties creating a new entry could be interesting imo.

Sin and Punishment will never happen because Treasure is still a physical entity, meaning Nintendo will go directly to Treasure for that game. Treasure does not have an active development crew, so it will go no further than that.

If you want to see Sin and Punishment again, Treasure must perish.

Are you willing to sacrifice Treasure for your own material gain?
Hell no, cause it's keeping their old games from being scattered to the wind of unknown licensing.
In my eyes, Kid Icarus Uprising is basically Sin & Punishment 3 anyways. I'll just take another entry of that if I want similar gameplay even if they're both similarly dead

Just give me Star Fox please, I'll be happy with that, but I don't expect that for awhile.

F-Zero, Star Fox, Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Life, Donkey Kong, and Mario Baseball all seem pretty likely to me

going out on a limb here and saying 1080 given The Great NST Renaissance (they made 1080 Avalanche! It’s a very good game, even if the soundtrack’s much worse than the original)

Everyone's already listed almost every possible franchise, so I'll throw out Steel Diver since it's a fun concept that could be revisited and isn't like anything else on the market.

For actual predictions: Pilotwings, Wave Race, Rhythm Heaven, and Custom Robo.

After Famicom Detective Club and Another Code, I really don't think there are IPs that aren't off the table. That being said, I think they could bring back...
  • Wave Racer - It would be a nice arcadey tech showcase title for Switch 2. Singleplayer, multiplayer, variety of locales, etc. It would be Nintendo's Forza, basically. Mmmmm ray-traced water...
  • Custom Robo - We live in a world where Armored Core 6 sold 3 million copies. I could see Nintendo taking a flyer on bringing back the IP if they have enough devs within Nintendo that are passionate about the IP.
  • F-Zero - F-Zero 99 has been pretty damn successful. Could see them bringing the IP back thanks to 99's success.

Back
Top Bottom