• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Visions of Mana announced for PS4/5/Xbox Series and Steam (2024)

The game will come to Switch 2, I think it's obvious unless it's somehow a crazy bomb that they want to move on from quickly which I doubt.

But I do think it's notable that for a series as closely associated with Nintendo (and the Switch), they haven't waited for Switch 2 to announce, market and (I'm assuming) release the game. This is not tied to the Switch 2, this is a multiplat that they're pushing on everything else. Meaning the project was probably scoped years ago (2020 presumably) outside of any Nintendo consideration.

Definitely looks like it's building upon the ground work laid by the ToM remake. That's good, it was a pretty solid game.

Yall help me out, I can't tell if it's is a bit or not. Are some of us actually thinking this game is skipping Nintendo as opposed to just keeping quiet about coming to Switch 2 for the moment?
I think most of the doubters are either trolls or have been hurt by one too many Yakuza-like denials.

Could them not announcing this for Switch 2 mean that we'll be getting a lot of 3rd party games that will skip the OG Switch?
The OG Switch will not only be 7 years old at the point this releases, but both XSX/PS5 will be four years old as well. We're already well into the current generation now (despite this also having a PS4 release, which says a lot about the current Japanese gaming market).

it's possible that the dev team got access to Drake dev kits early and that lead them to skip Switch
It is also possible that it's a Switch late port. Maybe they were planning to announce it for Switch along with other consoles but they decided to omit the Switch version in the announcement after Switch version delayed for technical reasons. Xbox SX but no Xbox 1 makes me think there's a Microsoft deal is going on.

It is also possible that it's a Switch late port. Maybe they were planning to announce it for Switch along with other consoles but they decided to omit the Switch version in the announcement after Switch version delayed for technical reasons. Xbox SX but no Xbox 1 makes me think there's a Microsoft deal is going on.
I don't think there will be a late port to Switch. if it was coming, they'd say so. the series has been reliant on being on everything to be the success it is right now. the series is too low key for a late port to really be worth it, I think. if it's not listed for an already known system, it's probably not coming

Did Microsoft pay to cancel Switch 2?
No but they might have paid to "not wait for Switch version". I don't know, they recently announced a cooperation with Square this might be the first fruit of it. There's definitely something about this release, not having a Switch release, even if it's intended for successor launch, which I really don't think so, is sending the game to a certain death.

They really needed to learn something from Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean bombs.

The game is not releasing on Xone because no one cares about this console anymore. It's that simple. The PS4 version only exists because when the game was in development, the PS5 wasn't too popular in Japan/wasn't selling enough.

As for the Switch 2 version, if the game releases on PS4 then it will come to Switch 2 without any difficulty. It is in Nintendo's advantage to have games that are releasing only on its new console, even more so when it concerns a niche audience that is more likely to buy the console in its early years.

looks amazing. they're really putting the budget behind this. hope they learned from their recent AA failures to make this a success

I don't want to get on Drake talk, but I think it's a shoe-in given how much the recent revival is owed to Nintendo versions
I wouldn't be surprised if theirs a bunch of ports at launch this,Star Ocean 6 and FF7 remake all first year.

This feels like a shoe-in to show up in a montage of games for the Switch's successor. Also, it's past time for Nintendo to announce the new hardware. Third parties must be getting antsy.

They really needed to learn something from Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean bombs.

I think Nintendo needs to learn from not releasing underpowered hardware. Such is life thanks to Galileo, Newton, et all.

Star Ocean 6 is the only one I'm almost certain isn't coming. Tri-Ace just doesn't want to work on Switch and I don't think that'll change
Well considering it is a port at this point not a new game i could see another dev doing it.

Well considering it is a port at this point not a new game i could see another dev doing it.
It's made on Tri-Ace's in-house tools, so they'd have to approve of that. But I guess as long as they aren't doing it, they might be ok with it.

That said, I still don't expect it to come, doesn't have the most positive reception, on top of already being an rpg

The game will come to Switch 2, I think it's obvious unless it's somehow a crazy bomb that they want to move on from quickly which I doubt.

But I do think it's notable that for a series as closely associated with Nintendo (and the Switch), they haven't waited for Switch 2 to announce, market and (I'm assuming) release the game. This is not tied to the Switch 2, this is a multiplat that they're pushing on everything else. Meaning the project was probably scoped years ago (2020 presumably) outside of any Nintendo consideration.

Visions was first announced without a name in 2021 so development starting in 2020 is likely.

TIL I'm no one 😢
lol jk, I don't care about it, I just have one and don't wanna spend what they're asking for one of the new AMD twins
It's just the reality of the market. I'm sorry for you and I know how that feels, but XOne was never big for JRPGs, much less smaller ones. PS4 is only alive due to JP market and still active userbase. XOne basically died and most pubs moved on towards Series. The only JP pubs still supporting XOne are the ones with MS support one way or another.

Star Ocean 6 is the only one I'm almost certain isn't coming. Tri-Ace just doesn't want to work on Switch and I don't think that'll change
No one will miss that game. I am only half joking cause I know some peopled enjoyed it (not me lol)

I watched it in a non stream format and it looks nice, I hope combat is not as slow as in the trailer. Trials had a fun but simple combat so hoping it builds on that.

Also, might be just me, but the characters models have this look that is very similar to Grandblue. Maybe its the lighting? I will say, the protagonists (Mana) hair is great lol

PVH8g9x.png
cxu0WAP.png

Yo they got Kikuta back for the soundtrack! Thats awesome news.

People should try the Trials of Mana remake if they haven't already. It's definitely a "budget" title but it plays nice and looks nice, even on Switch. It's a fun, light-hearted adventure that doesn't take too long. My only real issue is that the companion AI is a little dumb and they can be a hinderance during boss battles.
Squaresoft action RPG and “dumb AI”, name a more iconic duo 😂

Did anybody see the fuckin drip during the Mana part of the Xbox presentation today?

Koichi Ishii brought it

I wonder how involved Grezzo is with the development if Koichi Ishii is contributing to it.

direct feed

Eh, this is nothing Switch cannot run. I don't believe Square making this only for the successor, that's basically sending the game to certain death. This is either releasing on Switch at the same time as others, or as a delayed port. Maybe the successor could get a next gen patch.

Sounds like Xbox got the marketing deals for the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the separate Switch reveal is somewhere else.

Eh, this is nothing Switch cannot run. I don't believe Square making this only for the successor, that's basically sending the game to certain death. This is either releasing on Switch at the same time as others, or as a delayed port. Maybe the successor could get a next gen patch.

Sounds like Xbox got the marketing deals for the game. Wouldn't be surprised if the separate Switch reveal is somewhere else.
I agree that this is one of the odd “snubs” this year like with P3R but at the same time I’m remembering how poorly Soul Hackers 2 apparently ran on lower end hardware so I wouldn’t necessarily rule out that they couldn’t get it running acceptably on Switch for the time being.

Also, I don’t necessarily agree that Switch 2 only is certain death. I don’t see the situation in Japan changing any time soon, which basically means mid-tier JRPGs (like the Mana franchise) are going to need to be on Nintendo hardware if they want to do well (especially in that region). Not to mention the fact that Nintendo’s demographic is increasingly skewing older which lines up nicely for a franchise that hasn’t seen a new original title since the PS2 and DS era (mobile gacha notwithstanding). I fully expect Switch owners will move over at a good clip to the new hardware assuming it’s not a complete mess like the Wii U or 3DS were.

I agree that this is one of the odd “snubs” this year like with P3R but at the same time I’m remembering how poorly Soul Hackers 2 apparently ran on lower end hardware so I wouldn’t necessarily rule out that they couldn’t get it running acceptably on Switch for the time being.

Also, I don’t necessarily agree that Switch 2 only is certain death. I don’t see the situation in Japan changing any time soon, which basically means mid-tier JRPGs (like the Mana franchise) are going to need to be on Nintendo hardware if they want to do well (especially in that region). Not to mention the fact that Nintendo’s demographic is increasingly skewing older which lines up nicely for a franchise that hasn’t seen a new original title since the PS2 and DS era (mobile gacha notwithstanding). I fully expect Switch owners will move over at a good clip to the new hardware assuming it’s not a complete mess like the Wii U or 3DS were.
Soul Hackers 2 still remains as the oddest decision this generation so far but I doubt Square would do the same. That wasn't Sega's first stupid decision regarding having Switch as the target platform (Sakura Wars). I wouldn't worry about Square running this well on Switch as it should come out on mobile too, as have all the other modern Mana games.

And yeah, Visions wouldn't be a certain death on successor if the successor launch was mild. I do not expect that, I anticipate one of the most packed launch windows ever happened in the gaming history. This could get lost next to lots of other stuff, including other JRPGs like Metaphor. Plus, if the Matrix rumor is true, I can see Nintendo asking Square a more graphically modern game to showcase the successor's capabilities.

While I do agree that with enough time and effort, they could probably get this to run on the Switch (like Trials), I don't think they're gonna do that this time.

If SE had a Switch version ready to go at launch with the other platforms, it would have been announced at TGAs with the others. Nintendo will ask publishers to hold off on announcing Switch versions of multiplats if they've got a Direct in a week or two (ex: Persona 3-5). But I highly they'd have devs hold off on an announcement for a Direct two months later. Hiding a Switch version for two months just to save a surprise for a Direct is a terrible business decision. Why condition consumers to associate the game with every platform but your own? And even if Microsoft has some sort of marketing deal, SE still announced the PS versions at TGAs, which shows that Microsoft isn't paying for timed exclusivity.

And I don't think a delayed port makes sense this late in the Switch's life cycle. Down porting to Switch would take a lot more time and money than a port to Switch 2. So if Switch 2 is gonna be available shortly after the game launches, why bother with Switch 1? Sure, Switch 1 will have a bigger userbase than Switch 2, but I'd imagine the "hardcore" audience (target demographic for Mana) on Switch 1 will transition very quickly to Switch 2, so there isn't that much of a loss in target audience. Now for a game like Just Dance, it absolutely makes sense to keep targeting releasing Switch 1 versions cause that game is "mass market" and is not a technically demanding game at all, so there isn't much cost to continuing to support Switch.

I think we just gotta hope for a Switch 2 version of Visions of Mana at this point. Same for P3R, Metaphor, MH Wilds, etc...

And I don't think a delayed port makes sense this late in the Switch's life cycle. Down porting to Switch would take a lot more time and money than a port to Switch 2. So if Switch 2 is gonna be available shortly after the game launches, why bother with Switch 1? Sure, Switch 1 will have a bigger userbase than Switch 2, but I'd imagine the "hardcore" audience (target demographic for Mana) on Switch 1 will transition very quickly to Switch 2, so there isn't that much of a loss in target audience. Now for a game like Just Dance, it absolutely makes sense to keep targeting releasing Switch 1 versions cause that game is "mass market" and is not a technically demanding game at all, so there isn't much cost to continuing to support Switch.
If this is really coming for Switch, I don't think it'll be a port at all, most likely using Switch as the base system, Xbox and PS versions being the ports. As I said before, all modern Mana games released on mobile, Trials included, I totally expect a mobile version shortly after. This is not gonna be a demanding game at all.

Also don't expect for Switch to die so fast, especially before the successor is out. Right now we have zero third party Switch games slated for release after July, Trials and Persona 3 sound like great choices to cover an empty schedule.

Famiboards when developers don't scope their Summer 2024 projects with Switch in mind:

Seriously, it's 99% coming to the Succ. No need to sound so grumpy.

Wonder if they got free Xbox Showcase space in exchange for the port, or something of the sort. Wouldn't be a terrible arrangement! Current SE doesn't seem to gel with day 1 Game Pass releases (and I don't blame them), and honestly, if I were Mr. Square I'd brazenly ask for free advertising in exchange for games. Pretty straight forward win-win scenario.

Onto the game itself: Not quite as strong of a showing as the first trailer, combat still looks so meh, but at least we have confirmation of a second playable character, so safe to say the whole party will be?

combat still looks so meh
I still don't understand why the midair thing exists? And all the dashing? I get he said they're trying to lean harder into the action part of action-rpg but the battle movement strikes me like they're just tryina do cute-ffxv 🤨

If this is really coming for Switch, I don't think it'll be a port at all, most likely using Switch as the base system, Xbox and PS versions being the ports. As I said before, all modern Mana games released on mobile, Trials included, I totally expect a mobile version shortly after. This is not gonna be a demanding game at all.

Also don't expect for Switch to die so fast, especially before the successor is out. Right now we have zero third party Switch games slated for release after July, Trials and Persona 3 sound like great choices to cover an empty schedule.
But if the Switch was the base version...it would have been announced with the other platforms at TGAs. Also, most modern phones are more powerful than the Switch, sadly. So I don't think a phone version guarantees a Switch version (see Genshin Impact and its vaporware Switch version).

Switch won't die as fast as the Wii or Wii U, but I'd only expect 3DS-level post-successor support, not PS4-level. Nintendo will probably put some more remasters on it for a year or two. 3rd parties will still put things like compilations of old games on the Switch and maybe every now and then a high-profile game like Unicorn Overlord that isn't technically demanding. It'll still get indie support. But most multiplat games that are "reasonably" demanding (for Switch, ex: Visions of Mana & P3R) will just skip Switch and target Switch 2.

But if I'm wrong and they announce Visions of Mana for the Switch sometime this year, feel free to @ me and I'll give you a virtual high five.

Japanese studios never port over games that take effort to port over to Switch, Visions of Mana is in that Star Ocean the divine force ballpark and that game was not ported over to Switch because Japanese studios don't want to put in that porting effort. Visions of Mana is not coming to Switch, only possible to come to Switch 2.

Switch won't die as fast as the Wii or Wii U, but I'd only expect 3DS-level post-successor support, not PS4-level. Nintendo will probably put some more remasters on it for a year or two. 3rd parties will still put things like compilations of old games on the Switch and maybe every now and then a high-profile game like Unicorn Overlord that isn't technically demanding. It'll still get indie support. But most multiplat games that are "reasonably" demanding (for Switch, ex: Visions of Mana & P3R) will just skip Switch and target Switch 2.
Sorry but all this isn't 3DS level post support. That sounds very barebones. Nintendo is sure to move on fast as they need all the manpower to have a healthy lineup for the successor, as they have to. We'll get more remasters and a pokémon game this year but in 2025 majority of their lineup will be for the successor. For indies, big names are already started skipping Switch like all of future lineups for Annapurna and Devolver, other games such as Palworld or No Rest for the Wicked, all that remain will be pixel art stuff. It's all up to Namco, Square and Konami to keep Switch up for years, with all the remasters and low budget stuff. Square more than anyone else. This year we already have a SaGa game coming up for Switch but yes, I do expect another asano game and Visions on Switch. Not only those, I also expect Square to remake other DQ games in the style of DQ3 both on Switch and successor. One each year. 2DHD doesn't require PS4 level hardware after all.

Currently we don't have a stacked lineup for Switch this year compared to previous years. May and June have zero releases dated as of now. We have few Level-5 stuff but it's really hard to take L5's word for it. Switch needs stuff like Rune Factory 6, DXM2, P3R and Visions, having them successor only would create an empty transition period. And a swift death for Switch.

Alright, there's a lot to unpack there, so I'm gonna break it down line-by-line to show that I actually agree with you on a lot of that. There's just a few areas we differ.

Sorry but all this isn't 3DS level post support. That sounds very barebones.
3DS post-successor support wasn't great, but was still much better than DS, Wii, or Wii U. I'm mostly talking time frame here. 3DS "lived" for about 2 years after the Switch came out. That's about how long I expect the Switch to "live" after Switch 2 comes out.

Nintendo is sure to move on fast as they need all the manpower to have a healthy lineup for the successor, as they have to. We'll get more remasters and a pokémon game this year but in 2025 majority of their lineup will be for the successor.
Yes, I agree. 1-2 years of support from Nintendo for Switch post-successor. Mostly remasters. One more set of mainline Pokemon games seems like a reasonable guess.

For indies, big names are already started skipping Switch like all of future lineups for Annapurna and Devolver, other games such as Palworld or No Rest for the Wicked, all that remain will be pixel art stuff.
Yes, I agree. When I said "Switch will still get indie support," I was mostly referring to the vast number of indie games that are not technically demanding (ex: 2D pixel art stuff). Ambitious 3D indie games will skip Swich for the same reason ambitious 3D 3rd party games will skip Switch. Why put in all the effort to down port to Switch when Switch 2 is right there?

It's all up to Namco, Square and Konami to keep Switch up for years, with all the remasters and low budget stuff. Square more than anyone else. This year we already have a SaGa game coming up for Switch but yes, I do expect another asano game and Visions on Switch.
Yep, that's what I said in my post. We'll continue to see remasters and low budget stuff from 3rd parties. But where we differ is I don't think Visions of Mana falls into the "low budget" category. Like, sure, it's low budget compared to FFVIIR, but it has a much higher budget than the new SaGa. Like, I'm hyped for SaGa: Emerald Beyond, but the world map you walk around on in that game is a bloody jpeg!

Not only those, I also expect Square to remake other DQ games in the style of DQ3 both on Switch and successor. One each year. 2DHD doesn't require PS4 level hardware after all.
Yeah, I could see DQIII and maybe even another HD-2D game land on Switch. That whole art style was designed with Switch limitations in mind.

Currently we don't have a stacked lineup for Switch this year compared to previous years. May and June have zero releases dated as of now. We have few Level-5 stuff but it's really hard to take L5's word for it. Switch needs stuff like Rune Factory 6, DXM2, P3R and Visions, having them successor only would create an empty transition period. And a swift death for Switch.
Yep, I agree. The current known lineup for Switch is much more barren that previous years.

But just cause Switch would benefit from having those games, doesn't mean it will actually get them. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Visions & P3R. I don't think they're coming for the reasons I stated previously.

RF6 and DXM2 have a chance to come to Switch cause they haven't announced any platforms yet.

Sorry but all this isn't 3DS level post support. That sounds very barebones. Nintendo is sure to move on fast as they need all the manpower to have a healthy lineup for the successor, as they have to.

No, Nintendo "has to", if anything, make sure they keep their massive userbase engaged in the Nintendo ecosystem while it convinces people to slowly adopt new hardware, lest they get interested and invest their money in a competitor who actually is continuing to offer new products during that same period.

Every company has realised this is a key part of transitions between generations, and the Switch and the follow up will be treated exactly as literally every other new hardware is now. Sony had an extensive cross gen period. Microsoft had an extensive cross gen period. Nintendo had an extensive period of supporting both the 3DS and Switch. Nintendo will have an extensive cross gen period of supporting both the Switch and whatever form the successor takes.

So... just like every year recently then. I keep hoping that the way Nintendo announces stuff now will be understood by the public memory, but since we need a reminder again about what "previous years" looked like at this point in time; check out Nintendo's announced lineup after the September 2022 direct covering the same period we'd know about now.

SepDirectInfoFull.jpg

1 May release date game from Nintendo (TOTK) and one that ended up releasing in July, but wasn't dated yet (Pikmin), meaning we had exactly one title announced with a release date post February. Advance wars, Everybody 1-2 Switch, Detective Pikachu 2, Mario bros wonder, Warioware, and so on for the rest of their 2023 slate hadn't been dated or even announced in some cases, and drawing conclusions about a years list of games conclusively on what's announced in January has only made fools of people doing so for years, and I don't doubt it'll do it again this year to anyone partaking in that particular folly.

Last edited:
So... just like every year recently then. I keep hoping that the way Nintendo announces stuff now will be understood by the public memory, but since we need a reminder again about what "previous years" looked like at this point in time; check out Nintendo's announced lineup after the September 2022 direct covering the same period we'd know about now.
Someone in the Direct thread made a good post with a list of Nintendo developed or published games we knew about going into the beginning of each year since 2018.

From that, it's easy to see why a lot of people think 2024 for Switch looks weak compared to previous years at the same point in time. We currently have 5 games dated for 2024, 4 of which are remakes/remasters. The Peach game is the only brand-new game. And between that and 3 of the remasters (Mario vs. DK, Luigi's Mansion 2, and TTYD), it feels really saturated with the Mario universe. And the one non-Mario universe remake/remaster is the Another Code duology, in the highly popular...point-and-click adventure genre.

...That said, we're really starting to get off topic. So how 'bout them Manas?

Nintendo had an extensive period of supporting both the 3DS and Switch. Nintendo will have an extensive cross gen period of supporting both the Switch and whatever form the successor takes.
Budgets of 3DS era are not the same with today. Nintendo will continue supporting Switch but it'll be even smaller stuff, most likely more GameCube/Wii remasters.
Yes! This is what I'm saying. They'll announce stuff to fill those gaps very soon. Next month. Rune Factory 6. Gotham Knights. Daemon X Machina Titanic Scion. MGS Collection Vol 2. Lollipop Chainsaw. Persona 3 Reload. And of course Visions of Mana. All the titles people speculate to be successor titles could be for Switch 1. Because, you know, it's not dead yet.

Yeah this conversation is going nowhere. I won't budge on my prediction of VoM being a Switch title. It's best to wait and find out.

No, Nintendo "has to", if anything, make sure they keep their massive userbase engaged in the Nintendo ecosystem while it convinces people to slowly adopt new hardware, lest they get interested and invest their money in a competitor who actually is continuing to offer new products during that same period.

Every company has realised this is a key part of transitions between generations, and the Switch and the follow up will be treated exactly as literally every other new hardware is now. Sony had an extensive cross gen period. Microsoft had an extensive cross gen period. Nintendo had an extensive period of supporting both the 3DS and Switch. Nintendo will have an extensive cross gen period of supporting both the Switch and whatever form the successor takes.

SepDirectInfoFull.jpg

1 May release date game from Nintendo (TOTK) and one that ended up releasing in July, but wasn't dated yet (Pikmin), meaning we had exactly one title announced with a release date post February. Advance wars, Everybody 1-2 Switch, Detective Pikachu 2, Mario bros wonder, Warioware, and so on for the rest of their 2023 slate hadn't been dated or even announced in some cases, and drawing conclusions about a years list of games conclusively on what's announced in January has only made fools of people doing so for years, and I don't doubt it'll do it again this year to anyone partaking in that particular folly.
I'm just impressed with the amount of software that is on Switch, I still need to catch up on my backlog :(

New Trailer + Preview
new trailer and preview. looks really good

EDIT: developed by NetEase's Ouka Studio

Last edited:
Gonna be hard waiting for the Switch 2 version. Oh well, enough time in between, maybe i double dip.

No Xeen (devs of Trials of Mana) then? Then the rumors of Xeen doing the FF9 remake might be true after all.
Xeen did a fantastic job transforming Trials to the modern 3d realm, I was sincerely hoping they were behind this! But yeah, very intrigued to discover what they -are- working on.

Back
Top Bottom