• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Video game sales updates, courtesy of Install Base!

Awesome! I registered, I was only off-and-on active in the MC threads on GAF and only lurked on Era, but this time around maybe I'll post more...

Hello everyone !

Just a quick update. We are processing every single request, we didn't forget any of you but it'll take some time.

To be completely honest and transparent, there are currently more than 500 people in the queue. We are approving people manually and in small batches so bear with us.

Thanks for all the enthousiasm and support ❤

See you soon 😉

Not able to participate at Install Base yet, but it seems like Demon Slayer is doing even worse than expected in Japan?

Any hints for hardware this week? Is it assumed that Nintendo prioritised Western markets with the OLED model or is the supply limited elsewhere as well?

Which makes it even more baffling why the Switch wasn't the primary platform for the port when it was obvious that's where majority of the demographic would be. C'mon Sega.
The game seemed to have suffered from a lack of time and budget (a sonic game with poor planning? GASP!) Even the creator of Godot engine said that the version they used wasn't the best fit for the job, so Blind Squirrel probably had to work harder than neccessary to get the game running before time ran out

The game seemed to have suffered from a lack of time and budget (a sonic game with poor planning? GASP!) Even the creator of Godot engine said that the version they used wasn't the best fit for the job, so Blind Squirrel probably had to work harder than neccessary to get the game running before time ran out
Oh I'm not blaming the actual devs at all, they did the best they could with what they're given. The blame lies solely on Sega's management with their incompetence and frankly bizarre lack of foresight on this release.

Sega is a horribly run business and has been for decades. I honestly can’t think of the last truly smart decision they’ve made.

Going in harder on PC support than some other JP devs this side of Capcom.

Annnnnd that's about all I can think of...

Sega is a horribly run business and has been for decades. I honestly can’t think of the last truly smart decision they’ve made.
buying Atlus and the establishment of Sega Europe. you know, the two parts of Sega gaming that are worth a damn

OLED Switches are available only by store lottery in my city in Japan (not one of the largest, but the largest in the prefecture).

Fortunately Bic Camera have just told me I can get one next weekend, although my wife is seizing it and wrapping it up for Christmas.

I've had better luck there than in the PS5 lotteries, which I have been entering fruitlessly to no avail since January. There have been one or two in second-hand shops, at more than I'm willing to pay.

As for the Series X, I'm not sure I really believe that they even exist.

PAL Week 41
All their acquisitions of other devs have been really sound. Sega Europe is an absolute beast and even Atlus pulls it's weight. It's just they struggle at running their own internal dev teams it seems.

PAL Week 41
Solid hold for Metroid Dread in the UK chart and a good debut in France. I suppose we can attribute the (relatively) low Back 4 Blood debut to it being an online game which is also on Gamepass. Miles Morales is becoming something of a Sony evergreen

Getting Yakuza and other Japanese series on PC and also most of their studio acquisitions, Two Point being the latest.

I assume they also were the ones that finally got Altus to go more multi platform.

Huh.

Is there any indication of how Metroid Dread has sold globally yet?
It won’t be tracked on Nintendo’s next financial report, but there’s a chance they may give PR. Otherwise, not really aside from some good early signs from the market data we have access to.

Hello everyone !

We are making good progress on Install Base public launch. Things are moving well thanks to the hard work of everyone involved and the amazing support of the Community. Still, it might take a bit more time to get everything perfectly set up.

However, given the strong demand and a very exciting end of the week (OLED, Metroid, Media Create, NPD...), we decided to open another round of early registration.

If you are interested, you can either show it by posting here or via PM. We'll try to add a maximum of people interested as fast as possible, with a limited number of spots for this round.

See you here and there ;)

EDIT : Install Base opens its public registration !

The forum is accessible here : https://installbaseforum.com/

I registered Thursday…still waiting to be accepted :)

Quoted by: Rez
Hello everyone !

Just a quick update. We are processing every single request, we didn't forget any of you but it'll take some time.

To be completely honest and transparent, there are currently more than 500 people in the queue. We are approving people manually and in small batches so bear with us.

Thanks for all the enthousiasm and support ❤

See you soon 😉

Ah ok just saw this subsequent post…disregard my previous one :p

Media Create Week 41

Great hold for Metroid. Should be at around 150k with digital. With the holidays coming, it should do 300k lifetime.

I'm trying to decide which was the worse decision: kimetsu skipping switch or kimetsu not having playable demons in an adaptation of a series famous for sympathetic villains

Last edited:
Go Dread, go!!!! I want it to be a record breaking game in the franchise, it deserves it a lot.

Slightly off topic but is anyone else having trouble getting approved by Installbase? I signed up over a week ago and haven't heard anything and I don't know who to contact.

I'd love to just lurk there and check out the numbers. 😕

Slightly off topic but is anyone else having trouble getting approved by Installbase? I signed up over a week ago and haven't heard anything and I don't know who to contact.

I'd love to just lurk there and check out the numbers. 😕
Be patient, they're manually approving at least 20-30 people a day and they have a queue of 500 or so. It took like a week for me to get approved

RIP Monark
FuRyu games are almost all sub 20k so I don't view it as too surprising, especially since it is so soon after Caligula Effect 2 and right before SMTV. They are probably counting on overseas sales. They did celebrate shipping 50k and I doubt they shipped more than 25k in Japan

RIP Monark
FuRyu games are almost all sub 20k so I don't view it as too surprising, especially since it is so soon after Caligula Effect 2 and right before SMTV. They are probably counting on overseas sales. They did celebrate shipping 50k and I doubt they shipped more than 25k in Japan

Lost Dimension, the last game from the same team, only sold about 5k between PS3 and Vita.

Cross-posting what I think is a pretty good argument....

In JAPAN.....the 2nd week sales of Metroid defeats the first week sales of a hot IP PS5 title a year after release.

From a market perspective, it appears to me that PS5 is perceived in the market as a PS4 Pro Pro. PS5s are being sold to existing PS4 owners to give them a better box to run their existing games. Meaning, that Sony is not growing their userbase. I think PS5 will struggle sales-wise once a saturation point is reached with existing PS4 owners upgrading their box.

Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to attract new fans to the hybrid concept and sell more systems to existing households. I have 4 systems in the house - 2 Lite, 1 OG, and 1 OLED. In addition to 2 PS4s, a PS4 Pro, and a PS5, an Xbox One, and an Xbox Series X.

As customers buy into the hybrid concept, the sales curve for the stationary boxes are going to stagnate. Multi-platform sales suggest that customers are coalescing their gaming to the Nintendo ecosystem - wanting that portable experience.

Unless Microsoft/Sony do something different, I really believe Nintendo is not only going to continue to dominate, but grow their userbase to a point that hybrid is the expectation going forward. Customers, the majority of them, the growth potential, will all be in the hybrid model and the stationary boxes are left dying on the vine - fighting over a slowly dwindling pie. I think the evidence is there seeing Sony move to selling their software on PC. It's a way to grow and attract PC users to their ecosystem - or just get some easier sales to PC folks. I really think Sony is struggling to attract new customers to their box that haven't been long-time Playstation customers.

In JAPAN.....the 2nd week sales of Metroid defeats the first week sales of a hot IP PS5 title a year after release.

From a market perspective, it appears to me that PS5 is perceived in the market as a PS4 Pro Pro. PS5s are being sold to existing PS4 owners to give them a better box to run their existing games. Meaning, that Sony is not growing their userbase. I think PS5 will struggle sales-wise once a saturation point is reached with existing PS4 owners upgrading their box.

Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to attract new fans to the hybrid concept and sell more systems to existing households. I have 4 systems in the house - 2 Lite, 1 OG, and 1 OLED. In addition to 2 PS4s, a PS4 Pro, and a PS5, an Xbox One, and an Xbox Series X.

As customers buy into the hybrid concept, the sales curve for the stationary boxes are going to stagnate. Multi-platform sales suggest that customers are coalescing their gaming to the Nintendo ecosystem - wanting that portable experience.

Unless Microsoft/Sony do something different, I really believe Nintendo is not only going to continue to dominate, but grow their userbase to a point that hybrid is the expectation going forward. Customers, the majority of them, the growth potential, will all be in the hybrid model and the stationary boxes are left dying on the vine - fighting over a slowly dwindling pie. I think the evidence is there seeing Sony move to selling their software on PC. It's a way to grow and attract PC users to their ecosystem - or just get some easier sales to PC folks. I really think Sony is struggling to attract new customers to their box that haven't been long-time Playstation customers.
It's an interesting argument. I think that's why Microsoft is going all in on Gamepass, it gives them an avenue to grow their marketshare outside of the people who physically own a gaming box under their TV, to reach out to people on all kinds of devices be they laptop, tablet or smartphone. As a long term plan, it has merit.

That being said, we've long discussed the death of the home console since...the mid 00s maybe? And here we are with two new home consoles selling great numbers, in the west at least. Japan is its own beast, and while it seems like Sony have conceded this territory to Nintendo (at least for now), their business isn't really suffering as of yet despite this decision. Perhaps the real lesson is that the gaming industry is now big enough to support not just multiple systems, but also multiple forms of gaming. Portable, smartphone, high end; all profitable and operating in their own niches and territories.

That being said, I am surprised Sony just gave up on the handheld side of things. Particularly in these cross gen days. It wouldn't be like the PSP and Vita where they struggled to forge their own library and identity. A portable console that can play the same games you get on a PS5, similar to the Switch, is definitely an avenue worth exploring in my mind.

It's an interesting argument. I think that's why Microsoft is going all in on Gamepass, it gives them an avenue to grow their marketshare outside of the people who physically own a gaming box under their TV, to reach out to people on all kinds of devices be they laptop, tablet or smartphone. As a long term plan, it has merit.

That being said, we've long discussed the death of the home console since...the mid 00s maybe? And here we are with two new home consoles selling great numbers, in the west at least. Japan is its own beast, and while it seems like Sony have conceded this territory to Nintendo (at least for now), their business isn't really suffering as of yet despite this decision. Perhaps the real lesson is that the gaming industry is now big enough to support not just multiple systems, but also multiple forms of gaming. Portable, smartphone, high end; all profitable and operating in their own niches and territories.

That being said, I am surprised Sony just gave up on the handheld side of things. Particularly in these cross gen days. It wouldn't be like the PSP and Vita where they struggled to forge their own library and identity. A portable console that can play the same games you get on a PS5, similar to the Switch, is definitely an avenue worth exploring in my mind.
My argument isn't suggesting that stationary boxes are dead, but that their growth potential is now stagnant in the face of mobile and handheld competition and parity in terms of gameplay and experience. Maybe not 1:1, but close enough.

There is still a market for DVD/Blu-ray, but most people moved on to streaming. The hybrid model is a similar approach - less fidelity in exchange for more convenience. That's a compelling argument that most people will agree with. PS5 and XBox Series X are making the same arguments - fidelity matters - and there are less and less consumers that are agreeing with that position. Sony has to do something different. They are in a really bad place here without a major shift. PC ports are not going to cut it. They will continue to lose mid tier developer support or be deemphasized. PS5 has this crutch which is the PS4 userbase to fall back on, but this bodes ill for PS6. There is sustained brand damage being done here. Xbox sales rising is a really bad sign - it suggests that some gamers interested in stationary boxes are willing to abandon Sony for Microsoft and that position seems to become more popular by the week. There is momentum there - how long it lasts is an open question.

Back
Top Bottom