• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Video game sales updates, courtesy of Install Base!

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Hello everyone! With the launch of the new sales focused forum Install Base, I would like to use this thread to link to their weekly Media Create thread updates, as well as other reports relating to sales releases, such as NPD and PAL. I want to thank Install Base for their hard work and congratulate them on their launch!

See Threadmarks for updates!

Last edited:
Never heard of them. Sounds dodgy to me.

jk

PS-centric top of the charts makes a nice change. Although everything is down.

Heads up, if you're not registered on installbase, it looks like you can (currently?) only see the first post.

Yo cool! Install base is purely sales/industry focussed? Feels good complementary to this forum 🙂

Woohoo. Not much of a sales guy myself so I can't say anything intelligent (if ever) , but congrats to Install Base on getting up and running!

Hello everyone! With the launch of the new sales focused forum Install Base, I would like to use this thread to link to their weekly Media Create thread updates. This may be combined with other updates (PAL, NPD, etc,) or spun off into their own threads. I want to thank and congratulate Install Base on their launch!

Links:

Weekly MC Threads
Media Create Sept 27th- Oct 3rd, 2021: https://installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/media-create-sales-week-39-2021-sep-27-oct-03.35/
Congrats to them. Any info on when us plebs can register? I miss reading the sales discussions.

Doesn't seem like most of us can register yet which is sad. Maybe it's just not available on mobile.

Cross posting what I said about Kuro in another sales thread here

Kuro being a ps4 exclusive in 2021 probably didn't help much either. It also doesn't help when you advertise Kuro as being a "new start" for the franchise, then flood the marketing with tons of references to characters from prior arcs which puts off people who may have jumped in with this game.

Also probably not the best idea to come out 2 weeks after Tales of Arise which makes Kuro look super low budget by comparison.

It's such a strange stubbornness to see. CS3 sold half of what CS1-2 did due to the lack of a day 1 portable version. I can understand why in 2016 when CS3 was in development why there was no faith by Falcom in Nintendo's upcoming NX, and with CS4 probably not enough time to change course. By the time Hajimarie was entering production it was clear a good chunk of that Vita audience had moved to Switch, and Falcom has simply chosen not to embrace it and watch sales dwindle.

Falcom either needs to just go all in and push out Kuro 2 as a ps5 exclusive with top of the line graphics to try and make a splash, or get a day 1 Switch version ready even if it has to be outsourced. Maybe they're just content with 50k sales going forward in Japan with hope that East Asia/West pick up the slack down the road with their multiplatform releases, but that seems like a risky proposition.

I already put predictions in the Media Create league pool. Looking forward to participating in the sales side more often.

Thanks everyone for the support, the past couple of weeks have ben hectic. I hope everyone is enjoying and will enjoy browsing, and later on contributing, on Install Base 😁

I think this is a really good solution. I've seen people on here who would rather avoid sales talk so having the weekly MC charts in one thread makes them easy to ignore while the rest of us can check them out here and also discuss them on Installbase once we can register :)

Hello everyone! With the launch of the new sales focused forum Install Base, I would like to use this thread to link to their weekly Media Create thread updates. This may be combined with other updates (PAL, NPD, etc,) or spun off into their own threads. I want to thank and congratulate Install Base on their launch!

Links:

Weekly MC Threads
Media Create Sept 27th- Oct 3rd, 2021: https://installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/media-create-sales-week-39-2021-sep-27-oct-03.35/

I want to join that site. :love: Switch sales are doing very well considering the OLED is coming soon. As for my prediction, the OLED Switch is going to be a massive success, the regular Switch is going to slow down a little but still sell well and the Lite is going to drop like a rock but it wont die. And to be clear I'm talking only about Japan in these threads. (y)

Cross posting what I said about Kuro in another sales thread here

Kuro being a ps4 exclusive in 2021 probably didn't help much either. It also doesn't help when you advertise Kuro as being a "new start" for the franchise, then flood the marketing with tons of references to characters from prior arcs which puts off people who may have jumped in with this game.

Also probably not the best idea to come out 2 weeks after Tales of Arise which makes Kuro look super low budget by comparison.

It's such a strange stubbornness to see. CS3 sold half of what CS1-2 did due to the lack of a day 1 portable version. I can understand why in 2016 when CS3 was in development why there was no faith by Falcom in Nintendo's upcoming NX, and with CS4 probably not enough time to change course. By the time Hajimarie was entering production it was clear a good chunk of that Vita audience had moved to Switch, and Falcom has simply chosen not to embrace it and watch sales dwindle.

Falcom either needs to just go all in and push out Kuro 2 as a ps5 exclusive with top of the line graphics to try and make a splash, or get a day 1 Switch version ready even if it has to be outsourced. Maybe they're just content with 50k sales going forward in Japan with hope that East Asia/West pick up the slack down the road with their multiplatform releases, but that seems like a risky proposition.

At this point I feel like they are just saving money by waiting it out and having NISA pay for Switch and PC ports that they can then later release in the Japanese homeland without any extra effort or much money spent on their part.

I don't know what they are doing. The Switch CAN run these games, maybe with some graphical downgrades, but heck the Switch runs Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and 36282 probably more technically impressive third party games that I can't think of right now.

This doesn't affect me because I also have a ps5, so I can easily play the games. But if I had a choice I would get them on Switch. The only reason I haven't so far with the ones available is that there was still a gap between the western ps4 releases and the Switch and PC ports respectively. From what I understand, that will be a thing of the past starting with the Trails from Zero localization - so you already know which system I'll be getting the series on from now on.

Why Falcom themselves doesn't capitalize on Switch-Land (aka, Japan), idk...

Oh cool! I guess it's not open to register on yet though,

At this point I feel like they are just saving money by waiting it out and having NISA pay for Switch and PC ports that they can then later release in the Japanese homeland without any extra effort or much money spent on their part.

I don't know what they are doing. The Switch CAN run these games, maybe with some graphical downgrades, but heck the Switch runs Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and 36282 probably more technically impressive third party games that I can't think of right now.

This doesn't affect me because I also have a ps5, so I can easily play the games. But if I had a choice I would get them on Switch. The only reason I haven't so far with the ones available is that there was still a gap between the western ps4 releases and the Switch and PC ports respectively. From what I understand, that will be a thing of the past starting with the Trails from Zero localization - so you already know which system I'll be getting the series on from now on.

Why Falcom themselves doesn't capitalize on Switch-Land (aka, Japan), idk...
It almost seems like Falcom would rather go "down with the ship" then admit they're still betting on the wrong horse and make a change in their development and marketing strategy.

How do I register to Install Base? EDIT. Oh it looks like nobody can register yet. 😭

From what i gathered, you wait until registration opens up. ;D

Or you join the Sales Discord and ask the mods/admins if they can register you.

Seriously awesome for the MC community. Congrats to everyone at Install Base!

Do you feel good, making fun of an ancient one not in the joke? ;_;

At my age, it's difficult to be in the joke all the time. ;_;

I've got a joke you can be in on

What's a famous rock group with no singers?

Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore
The Duke of Dad jokes approves.

Mount Rushmore

Do you know what you are when you're making a mistake in an elevator?

Wrong on many levels.

It almost seems like Falcom would rather go "down with the ship" then admit they're still betting on the wrong horse and make a change in their development and marketing strategy.

Capitalism will take care of all the devs/publishers who are stubborn and continue to make bad bets. They will fade away in time, then a new generation of devs will eventually replace them. I'm eager to see what those NEW developers will produce in the Japanese market on consoles. Nintendo is pretty much the only Japanese developer that I buy games from. I was a huge Capcom fan, in the past, but they have gone too "western" and "violent" for my taste. As full disclosure the last game I bought from Capcom was Viewtiful Joe.

Congrats for the launch of Install Base. Hopefully there will be much fruitful discussions to be made without constant derailing. That said, what's the reasoning behind launching 2 separate forums? Not wanting to alienate people outside the nintendo fanbase?

Curious to see Falcons next move. Asia will not Save Kuro... and Western release will be at most optimist expectations 2024.

Curious to see Falcons next move. Asia will not Save Kuro... and Western release will be at most optimist expectations 2024.
Series like this will need Switch more than Switch needs them going forward. Companies that realize it will benefit. I guess we'll see how much interest is left in Kuro after the inevitable licensed port happens.

Series like this will need Switch more than Switch needs them going forward. Companies that realize it will benefit. I guess we'll see how much interest is left in Kuro after the inevitable licensed port happens.

What befuddles me is that these Japanese devs don't seem to realize that the products they sell are NOT a necessity. 😂 So you have to be very careful and smart when you are making and selling a product people DO NOT need. For example, IIRC there was a poll that demonstrated that the vast majority of the Demon Slayer audience is on Switch (I even see many Nezuko Japanese Miis is Mario Kart 8).

If you put Demon Slayer on another platform, the vast majority of those people are going to roll their eyes and move on to something else on Switch and not buy your game. The entertainment business (which gaming is a part of) is very difficult so you have to put aside emotion and focus of facts and numbers because again, games are NOT a necessity, they are a luxury.

Think I heard it was because having a sales-focused forum would make fanboyism less likely than having a forum with also normal hype threads and stuff.
While the motivation for making both was the same i am pretty sure they always kinda were separate projects from the very beginning. Install Base always wanted to strictly be a sales focused forum.

Back
Top Bottom