• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Video game sales updates, courtesy of Install Base!

I’m glad the sales community has found a new home! Sales data was one of the two reasons I originally started following GAF back in 2010 or so (the other being the Wii U speculation threads).

Congrats for the launch of Install Base. Hopefully there will be much fruitful discussions to be made without constant derailing. That said, what's the reasoning behind launching 2 separate forums? Not wanting to alienate people outside the nintendo fanbase?

Think I heard it was because having a sales-focused forum would make fanboyism less likely than having a forum with also normal hype threads and stuff.
Let's be honest, it was mostly because Mods turned out to be assholes (which is both ironic and sadly predictable since that was also the reason why people left the old old site).

Hey folks, just a heads up, I'm updating this to be a general sales report thread rather than Japan/Media Create specific. PAL link added to the OP

Hey folks, just a heads up, I'm updating this to be a general sales report thread rather than Japan/Media Create specific. PAL link added to the OP

It would be nice to have threadmarks for each week, or for specific reports.

Very happy for the Install Base folks for their forum!

Edited. @WestEgg is right. Let's not pollute the topic with old frustrations.

On topic: I'm still surprised seeing Switch selling so well considering OLEDs release this week.

And what I really didn't realise was how well Mario Kart still sells in PAL-territory (or maybe everywhere, I don't no tbh).

Last edited:
Let's be honest, it was mostly because Mods turned out to be assholes (which is both ironic and sadly predictable since that was also the reason why people left the old old site).
I think it's an (almost) inevitable feature of BBS systems like these. Once they grow to a certain size there becomes a separation between the moderators and the posters, and there tends to be a bit of groupthink. Eventually the moderators lose the ability to effectively moderate and become ban machines that work on the rules as written instead of intended.

The other failure mode that I've seen is that the forums fail to grow and the groupthink eventually expels anyone that dissents.

I hope this place doesn't end up in either of those places.

NeoGAF and ResetERA both ended up in the same place, but NeoGAF more so. Tyler had a modicum of power and he abused it. ResetERA didn't have active moderation of a few giant threads and then moderated them abruptly and badly with the ban hammer instead of discourse.

I'm still appalled at the non-apologies.

Any lawyer will tell you never to apologize as it's an admission of guilt. For these types of interactions, it's often seen as better to not admit guilt.

I think it's an (almost) inevitable feature of BBS systems like these. Once they grow to a certain size there becomes a separation between the moderators and the posters, and there tends to be a bit of groupthink. Eventually the moderators lose the ability to effectively moderate and become ban machines that work on the rules as written instead of intended.

The other failure mode that I've seen is that the forums fail to grow and the groupthink eventually expels anyone that dissents.

I hope this place doesn't end up in either of those places.

NeoGAF and ResetERA both ended up in the same place, but NeoGAF more so. Tyler had a modicum of power and he abused it. ResetERA didn't have active moderation of a few giant threads and then moderated them abruptly and badly with the ban hammer instead of discourse.
Er, they blatantly admitted they were banning people for slight offenses simply because they didn't like them or had a petty vendetta against them so yeah, they became just as bad.

Er, they blatantly admitted they were banning people for slight offenses simply because they didn't like them or had a petty vendetta against them so yeah, they became just as bad.
I was about to edit my post to say that the format of gaming/off-topic has carried through from NeoGAF and ResetERA to here.

I wonder if it would be better form split the forums up a little more.

General and PC gaming
Nintendo Gaming
Microsoft Gaming
Sony Gaming
Off-topic

And then have separate moderation teams for each subforum.

There are a bunch of edge cases there that I haven't figured out - it's kind of a half formed thought.

EDIT: You probably need to know that there's a comic book thread here - https://famiboards.com/threads/the-fami-comic-book-st.83/

Hey folks, I appreciate the enthusiasm for both Famiboards and Install Base, but it's pretty easy to go into relitigating old frustrations from elsewhere, and I'd like to keep this thread focused on sales releases.

I was about to edit my post to say that the format of gaming/off-topic has carried through from NeoGAF and ResetERA to here.

I wonder if it would be better form split the forums up a little more.

General and PC gaming
Nintendo Gaming
Microsoft Gaming
Sony Gaming
Off-topic

And then have separate moderation teams for each subforum.

There are a bunch of edge cases there that I haven't figured out - it's kind of a half formed thought.

EDIT: You probably need to know that there's a comic book thread here - https://famiboards.com/threads/the-fami-comic-book-st.83/
You should post this in the Site Suggestions thread so it doesn't get lost here and the discussion around sales can continue:

What are the sales of other the Trails games?

just first-week sales:

02./00. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.09.26} (¥7.140) - 81.622 / NEW <77,33%>
04./00. [PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.09.26} (¥8.190) - 67.718 / NEW <76,76%>

02./00. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (¥7.344) - 86.283 / NEW <71,96%>
05./00. [PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (¥8.424) - 65.498 / NEW <77,41%>

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800) - 87.261 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2018.09.27} (¥7.800) - 85.161 / NEW

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2020.08.27} (¥7.800) - 83.680 / NEW <60-80%>

kuro is down 40% from the opening of hajimari/reverie. that is steep and frightening.

just first-week sales:

02./00. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.09.26} (¥7.140) - 81.622 / NEW <77,33%>
04./00. [PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.09.26} (¥8.190) - 67.718 / NEW <76,76%>

02./00. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (¥7.344) - 86.283 / NEW <71,96%>
05./00. [PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (¥8.424) - 65.498 / NEW <77,41%>

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.09.28} (¥7.800) - 87.261 / NEW

02./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV - The End of Saga # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2018.09.27} (¥7.800) - 85.161 / NEW

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2020.08.27} (¥7.800) - 83.680 / NEW <60-80%>

kuro is down 40% from the opening of hajimari/reverie. that is steep and frightening.
Oh... that doesn't look good for Trails... at this rate the next one is going to sell just a fraction of that even if it releases on both the PS4 and PS5. They really should consider a Switch version or global releases at least.

Hell yeah. If Sam breaks the 100k wall in Japan, it will breeze past its first million on its first week.
edit: I should have added worldwide

Hell yeah. If Sam breaks the 100k wall in Japan, it will breeze past its first million on its first week.
Yeah, I don't doubt for a second that 100K in Japan translates to 1,000,000 in the US at least.

Congrats to everyone involved in the new sales forum. Lots of great people over there. I'm not really all that interested in sales discussion these days, so I probably won't join, but I wish Install Base nothing but the best.

Right now Install Base is invite-only while we fix and set up some stuff in the background. We'll update everyone when we open the site for everyone to register, don't worry.
Thank you for the update. Congrats on the launch!

Right now Install Base is invite-only while we fix and set up some stuff in the background. We'll update everyone when we open the site for everyone to register, don't worry.
It is too late for that!

Oh... that doesn't look good for Trails... at this rate the next one is going to sell just a fraction of that even if it releases on both the PS4 and PS5. They really should consider a Switch version or global releases at least.
Definitely. It's really mind blowing at this point (well really, for the last few years actually) how stubborn Falcom is with refusing to release on Nintendo consoles. I don't think it Trails would be a gigantic succes but do think it could do pretty well. Plus, there is a history of games in the series they could rerelease on Switch and broaden their audience at the same time. Really feels like they leave money on the table here.

Definitely. It's really mind blowing at this point (well really, for the last few years actually) how stubborn Falcom is with refusing to release on Nintendo consoles. I don't think it Trails would be a gigantic succes but do think it could do pretty well. Plus, there is a history of games in the series they could rerelease on Switch and broaden their audience at the same time. Really feels like they leave money on the table here.
NISA is going to port and localize this ASAP, but even thag takes time and won't be good for Falcom's bottom line.

According to Chris it looks like Dread will likely exceed 100k first week in Japan with digital. It'll be interesting to see its legs.
That would be incredible. Super excited to follow the sales for this game.

Install Base forum looks good. Waiting the moment to sign up.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think Metroid Dread is going to be close to 100k without digital.

Last edited:
Whoa, that would be double of of the series' best FW performance (around 50k for Metroid Fusion).
Errr is that the series' best? Metroid 1 sold 1M and Super sold 500k overall, did we not get opening week sales for either of those?

Also Metroid usually doesn't have great legs. So I'm guessing we're looking at 200-250k lifetime unless it has really good WoM or something.

Errr is that the series' best? Metroid 1 sold 1M and Super sold 500k overall, did we not get opening week sales for either of those?

Also Metroid usually doesn't have great legs. So I'm guessing we're looking at 200-250k lifetime unless it has really good WoM or something.

Yes, sorry, reported. I couldn't find any sales data for Super.

I'm glad to see Chris will still be doing these threads over there! His work is extremely admirable, and I hope Install Base serves as a good home for our sales community!

Really excited to see Dread drop. Not a huge Metroid fan myself, but with the marketing and interest this game's been getting, it's doomed to be the best selling Metroid thusfar, and it serve as a good start to the next year(s)'s marketing campaign for Metroid Prime 4 to ensure that one's an even greater success. 1.5 or 2M WW seems pretty certain at this point, but I'd be extremely unsurprised to see it sell multiple times greater.

Hajimari(last year's game) is slated for 2023 so Kuro won't release in US/Europe until 2024.
Kind of nuts when it's laid out like this. Hard to see any potential saving grace for these Kuro sales. Simply terrible.

I was saying this in the Nintendo discord chat but I honestly think Falcom should try something else with their next game from this team instead of doing the inevitable Kuro 2. Hard to see a situation where Kuro 2 sells better and it's unlikely their localization pipeline is looking more promising by that point. Though with how fast they churn these games out, they've probably already started developing the sequel to some extent and the sequel will likely be much cheaper to push out. Still, I just don't think continuing to develop games in this story is a winning business move beyond that. But maybe I'm wrong and the west will save this game in 3 years.

Very excited for Dread's initial sales reports, Samus is feasting on birthday cake this year! Looking forward to registering on Install Base, the work Chris and many others do is amazing and I'd like to post a bit more in those threads :)

Great to see that the Media Create threads will live on. I hope we’ll be able to read the full threads even if not registered (I still plan to register, but in case I get rejected, lol).

Good numbers for Switch considering the oled launch.

I wonder if the new model will have a long term impact.

Love the idea of a dedicated sales forum. And since I only ever lurked those threads, I don't even need to sign up, lol.

Hopefully they have stickied threads with official sales figures (like links to recent Nintendo investor reports etc). I always found the most frustrating part about following those threads was when you needed to look up info to confirm / deny something. I imagine all the sales guys keep that info at their fingertips.

Site appears to be down for me right now, though...

Main hope is that the sales community finds a permanent home on the new forum. This is their third web forum they’ve had to go to in recent years. And it’d be nice if they didn’t have to uproot themselves again.

According to Chris it looks like Dread will likely exceed 100k first week in Japan with digital. It'll be interesting to see its legs.
Nice, Team 2021 probably gonna get a nice speed boost from this. (Long time Sales lurker, glad to be able to discuss stuff here)

When are they opening up registration on Install Base? Can't wait to get back to the community.

Early indicators are really positive for Metroid 5 sales. Really happy to see.

Having 2 new seperate forums does feel a bit like fragmentation. Not sure if i'll ever think about visiting the forum.

I think having a stickied thread is quite good for awareness but I would still prefer a weekly thread as it would catch the eye/attention much better that way. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom