• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The (Fami)Comic Book |ST|

Donnie

I Want To Play A Game
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
comic-book-header-1024x576.jpg

{Header from dope af Bmfrosty}

Hello! I thought it would be fun to carve out a little space to discuss comic books. Whether you read superhero books or indie books, physically or digitally, monthly or by trade, this is the place!

Honestly not sure what the reception will be so keeping the SP trim for now but if we get interest I can flesh it out with resources. Comics are easier to follow and engage with than ever before, with comixology, Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe making a ton of books just a click away.

Last edited:
Since I made the thread, I should go first! I am a long time reader and posted in the comics OT on gaf and era for years, going back to around 2013. I read a lot of Marvel as a kid but flipped to DC as an older teen getting back into comics. Really though I've found my niche beyond the big two with big monster punching comics. I love the Hellboy books by Mike Mignola, Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean, Murder Falcon by Daniel Warren Johnson and that kind of thing (all of whom are writer/artists so I guess I resonate with that too). I also really like vertigo and modern post vertigo influenced comic books and writers, so Sandman, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing. Si Spurrier and Ram V are big modern favourites in that area. I generally read by trade, I find it a real struggle to engage week to week and find that a really expensive way to keep up but I love to binge in trades especially at Christmas.

I really appreciate when comics are metal as hell:

murder-falcon-1_65f26b289f.jpg

I do read a bit of manga. I'm not a deep fan, but I've been collecting and enjoying the Fullmeral Alchemist HCs from Viz over the past few years and my all time fav is 21st Century boys.

Any fans of pictures with words here? I would love to hear what you're into.

Last edited:
I'm a huge comic nerd and read mostly Marvel and indie books. IDW's TMNT series is by far my favorite ongoing. I'm a few issues behind so I have to get current again but easily my fav take on the characters.

I'm a huge comic nerd and read mostly Marvel and indie books. IDW's TMNT series is by far my favorite ongoing. I'm a few issues behind so I have to get current again but easily my fav take on the characters.
Oh awesome, I've read maybe the first two years of the IDW reboot but I'm way further behind than I'd like. How do you feel post 100 compared to pre? I really like Sophie Campbell, she has such a striking style but it's been sometime since I checked out her writing!

I'm certainly still digging it! It felt different for a few issues but I think that (for me) was due to the plot change and old story threads wrapping up with new ones starting than any creative changes.

I need to pencil in some reading time this weekend... I just recently finished Outcast and grabbed some new image #1's. Might check out Once and Future or Home Sick Pilots next. Also have a few issues of We Only Find them When They're Dead in the backlog.

I'm a sucker for horror and sci fi comics.

I'm certainly still digging it! It felt different for a few issues but I think that (for me) was due to the plot change and old story threads wrapping up with new ones starting than any creative changes.

I need to pencil in some reading time this weekend... I just recently finished Outcast and grabbed some new image #1's. Might check out Once and Future or Home Sick Pilots next. Also have a few issues of We Only Find them When They're Dead in the backlog.

I'm a sucker for horror and sci fi comics.

Oh I would actually love to hear about We Only Find Them When They're Dead, I've really enjoyed Ewing's Hulk run but haven't interfaced with him with any of his own works and the art for that book always catches my eye in previews. I generally really enjoy Boom's output, particularly the work Si Spurrier has put put under them (The Spire is incredible), and Mouse Guard šŸ˜

Last edited:
Iā€™m just waiting for the Immortal Hulk #50 to drop. By far the most fascinating Marvel book to read right now.

Want to read some X-Men stuff, but with all of the subseries books its somewhat daunting

I'm a Marvel head so I can only talk about that, but yeah add me in the never ending list of people who recommends Immortal Hulk.

Big big big recommendation for Iron Man (2020) by Cafu. I'm not an Iron Man guy at all, but it is spectacular.

Heard some good stuff about the Beta Ray Bill, Black Cat and Black Widow current runs too. Need to check them.

Want to read some X-Men stuff, but with all of the subseries books its somewhat daunting
I hear you, but you can't go wrong with any of them tbf. X-Men is at the top of their game currently, all the sub series are very good right now.

Iā€™m just waiting for the Immortal Hulk #50 to drop. By far the most fascinating Marvel book to read right now.

How is it you like to read your books? I had some thoughts on good ways to go about x-men but they vary on the delivery method lol

Last edited:
I'm almost entirely a DC guy when it comes to the two big names, but I do love a lot of Image comics. I'm always keeping an eye out for interesting books from any publisher though. I highly recommend Once and Future by Keiron Gillen, drawn by the incomparable Dan Mora.

Also for my fellow Immortal Hulk peeps, Gamma Flight's miniseries is just bonus fun. Hope you all are also reading that.

Loved the hell out of Immortal hulk last year, and then I ran out.

I'm currently doing a read of Ultimate Marvel - https://comicbookreadingorders.com/marvel/events/ultimate-marvel-reading-order/

I'm thinking about giving Sandman another try after that's done. It will be a while since I'm currently at Ultimate Fantastic Four #13.

Some part of me wants to also pick up Marvel again at "Fresh Start", but that feels a bit masochistic. https://comicbookreadingorders.com/marvel/events/a-fresh-start-reading-order/

I mostly just read indie comics now. I was keeping up with DC stuff I enjoyed for a while but the cancellation of Young Animal just kind of soured me on how initiatives and imprints that I'm invested in can just be dropped as soon as an executive loses interest.

However I did just read Superman Smashes the Klan for the first time and absolutely loved it, one that can be enjoyed by readers young and old.

I mostly just read indie comics now. I was keeping up with DC stuff I enjoyed for a while but the cancellation of Young Animal just kind of soured me on how initiatives and imprints that I'm invested in can just be dropped as soon as an executive loses interest.

Ah it's disappointing how hard they dropped the ball with Young Animal , not once but twice. Sandman Universe went a little more gracefully than either young animal iteration but in the end it wasn't all that different. Comics can be pain.

How is it you like to read your books? I had some thoughts on good ways to go about x-men but they vary on the delivery method lol
Haha I had to be more specific, but I meant the Hickman run. I did read the first series with the Moira retcon, but then I got lost a bit ha.

I love Hickmanā€™s stuff, both Fantastic Four and his Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars 2015.

Haha I had to be more specific, but I meant the Hickman run. I did read the first series with the Moira retcon, but then I got lost a bit ha.

I love Hickmanā€™s stuff, both Fantastic Four and his Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars 2015.

Sorry haha I think I poorly worded my response , I meant do you like to read physical or digital? It's super helpful you already read powers/house of X haha since that has the mandatory back and forth. Physically and digitally, they have been publishing all of the books that immediately came after the big retcon as the "Dawn of X" era. You can totally just pick, say, Hickman's X-men run and just read that but if you want to read more of the books and worry about not knowing what order and so on, the dawn of x collections just do that all for you, they collect each series all in together, in the order they were published so look for dawn of x volume 1, 2 and so on. If you read on Marvel Unlimited, they don't have the collections like that but last time I was on they did have a themed reading order set up in a similar manner, also called Dawn Of X. Although, I haven't used MU since they updated the app and apparently it wasn't a great update :( it is quite a lot to take in haha

Sorry haha I think I poorly worded my response , I meant do you like to read physical or digital? It's super helpful you already read powers/house of X haha since that has the mandatory back and forth. Physically and digitally, they have been publishing all of the books that immediately came after the big retcon as the "Dawn of X" era. You can totally just pick, say, Hickman's X-men run and just read that but if you want to read more of the books and worry about not knowing what order and so on, the dawn of x collections just do that all for you, they collect each series all in together, in the order they were published so look for dawn of x volume 1, 2 and so on. If you read on Marvel Unlimited, they don't have the collections like that but last time I was on they did have a themed reading order set up in a similar manner, also called Dawn Of X. Although, I haven't used MU since they updated the app and apparently it wasn't a great update :( it is quite a lot to take in haha
Ah. That's going to be an interesting one. I recently started a subscription to Marvel Unlimited to legitimize my current reading. I'm finding that the panel mode navigation (I don't know what else to call it) helps with reading on smaller screens, but when I'm on my 43-inch 4k monitor, I go full page. :)

I'm going to switch to something else after I finish Ultimate Marvel, but after I think I'm going to pick up at "A Fresh Start" and just read through the app while referencing a reading list. It looks like that is a big retcon and reboot for a large portion of the lines, and then a year later they do the House/Powers of X reboot.

It's a good past time that comes and goes for me.

Greetings all! Add me to the list of Immortal Hulk lovers, I'm going to be really disappointed when it ends this month and Donny Cates takes over.

These days I'm mostly reading a handful of DC stuff and a couple indies as they come out weekly and then I pick up other stuff through Marvel Unlimited, DCUI, CMX Unlimited, and Hoopla through my public library. Apparently there's big changes coming to CMX this month as they're shuttering comixology.com and changing the app, so that might be the last push I need to read almost exclusively in the subscription apps.

You know whatā€™s a lesser known Spiderman fact I love? The fact Peter has been making specialized suits for decades and most donā€™t know it. Spider armor one, the insulation suit to name a few. Itā€™s why the prep time against him argument is pretty hilarious when itā€™s proposed by the tv only folks. Parker has stretched his genius facto plenty in the comics and made some crazy stuff that could challenge batman.

Most def physical

But itā€™s hard (or better yet expensive) to buy comics in the Netherlands or let it ship to my little speck of the world; Shame to hear about MU being mostly meh.

Iā€™m not as big on comics compared to a few years back, but currently itā€™s mostly The Immortal Hulk and because DC actually reprints the New 52 run of Batman by Snyder which has been a blast. Really like the Court of Owlā€™s and his Batman. Still remains the only DC character which I love.

Thatā€™s why itā€™s so difficult to like Marvel at times, especially when you like certain runs and want to collect.

Iā€™m still happy I got the complete run of Ultimate Spider-Man (Bendis is so hit and miss, but I love Ultimate (Comics) Spidey. I also have the complete run of New X-Men, but with both Wolverine and the X-Men and Remenderā€™s Uncanny X-Force Iā€™m missing a collection, frustrating.

Same goes for Hickmanā€™s Avengers run; missing out on volumes 2 through 5.

Since we donā€™t have any hobbyist threads yet, and I figured we have some IDW TMNT fans, figured Iā€™d show off the miniatures painting project I just finished

Heroes
image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Villains
image2.jpg

image3.jpg

all the uniques
image4.jpg

and of course the full set
image0.jpg

So yeah pretty happy with how my copy of TMNT Shadows of the Past turned out, especially since it was my first time trying out doing something stylized with a based airbrush technique

The Nice House on the Lake really seems to be breaking out in popularity. My manager, who loves comic book films but never reads comics asked me about it today hah.

hi Donnie and Tim, we meet again lol

I've been behind on just about everything. I need to catch up on stuff. Slightly comics related but I ordered a Love & Rockets shirt

hi Donnie and Tim, we meet again lol

I've been behind on just about everything. I need to catch up on stuff. Slightly comics related but I ordered a Love & Rockets shirt

Rave! Finally, someone I know who can make us up a nice custom OT banner šŸ˜‚ yeah I'm much the same, most of my catch up centers around the Christmas holidays now, at least until DC are willing to launch DCUI here šŸ˜„ have you saw this?

First can't miss looking Hellboy thing since the BPRD wrapped I think

Rave! Finally, someone I know who can make us up a nice custom OT banner šŸ˜‚ yeah I'm much the same, most of my catch up centers around the Christmas holidays now, at least until DC are willing to launch DCUI here šŸ˜„ have you saw this?

LOL, if you need something I can probably whip one up. I will warn you and say I don't have any plans to do monthly threads anymore. Got burned out on that from GAF back in the day šŸ˜‚

I haven't seen that actually. I've been so out of the loop on anything Hellboy-related. I will definitely need to check that out with Campbell on art though!

LOL, if you need something I can probably whip one up. I will warn you and say I don't have any plans to do monthly threads anymore. Got burned out on that from GAF back in the day šŸ˜‚

Lmao nono it might be fun to have a banner if you can be bothered but none of all that stuff no one uses, the text is locked. This is a letsgooo thread for just chatting haha its not gonna refresh monthly either

I haven't seen that actually. I've been so out of the loop on anything Hellboy-related. I will definitely need to check that out with Campbell on art though!

I'm actually re-reading BPRD right now! I'm about 3/4 of the way through Plague of Frogs, but I don't think I'll revisit The Devil You Know šŸ˜¬

Since we donā€™t have any hobbyist threads yet, and I figured we have some IDW TMNT fans, figured Iā€™d show off the miniatures painting project I just finished

Heroes
image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Villains
image2.jpg

image3.jpg

all the uniques
image4.jpg

and of course the full set
image0.jpg

So yeah pretty happy with how my copy of TMNT Shadows of the Past turned out, especially since it was my first time trying out doing something stylized with a based airbrush technique

Woah, those are awesome. I had a friend in grad school who painted Warhammer minis and I was always blown away by how cool they looked

Lmao nono it might be fun to have a banner if you can be bothered but none of all that stuff no one uses, the text is locked. This is a letsgooo thread for just chatting haha its not gonna refresh monthly either
That's fair. I can try to do something later in the week if you do need one then. I'll hit you up later!
I'm actually re-reading BPRD right now! I'm about 3/4 of the way through Plague of Frogs, but I don't think I'll revisit The Devil You Know šŸ˜¬
I've been wanting to do that forever. I did re-read a lot of early Hellboy fairly recently but stopped, but I really need to. In my case I have Plague of Frogs all physically, so I don't really feel like pulling them out when reading in bed with my iPad has been more appealing lately honestly. But I haven't gone through it since I first read it, so it might be that time. I was actually just recommending it to a friend recently! Hopefully he checks it out lol

Very happy to see in this months Nightwing that they're finally
getting Dick and Babs back together
. Also Bruno Redondo cannot come back soon enough, Robbi Rodriguez can't draw Babs' costume to save his life.

Did anyone grab Nubia? Curious as to how that was.

I grabbed the issues of Immortal Hulk I was missing. Gonna have to catch up on that finally. I've been putting it off. But, I feel like it's time finally.

No surprise here given my username, but I grew up on comic books - honestly, between the ages of 12 and 21 I don't remember doing much else. Since then I've largely fell away from the hobby, although I like to revisit it from time to time by picking up trades that I read as a kid, so there's a lot of nostalgia there for me. I started with an unhealthy appetite for Marvel and slowly moved towards the DC Vertigo line. I like to do rereads of Swamp Thing, Sandman's Mystery Theatre, Animal Man...I could keep going. Actually though I would quite like to at least try to reengage with the hobby even if just a small amount so I was wondering what you'd recommend to a reader who's a little bit older?

Did anyone grab Nubia? Curious as to how that was.

I grabbed the issues of Immortal Hulk I was missing. Gonna have to catch up on that finally. I've been putting it off. But, I feel like it's time finally.

I got Nubia, it was mostly good, but did get a bit disjointed at times. I need to give it another look this weekend, I've been a bit out of it this week.

My pickups this week....

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

How are you liking Green Lantern?

No surprise here given my username, but I grew up on comic books - honestly, between the ages of 12 and 21 I don't remember doing much else. Since then I've largely fell away from the hobby, although I like to revisit it from time to time by picking up trades that I read as a kid, so there's a lot of nostalgia there for me. I started with an unhealthy appetite for Marvel and slowly moved towards the DC Vertigo line. I like to do rereads of Swamp Thing, Sandman's Mystery Theatre, Animal Man...I could keep going. Actually though I would quite like to at least try to reengage with the hobby even if just a small amount so I was wondering what you'd recommend to a reader who's a little bit older?

Are you looking for completed series or are you open to current on goings?

Hi everybody! Just ran into this thread while browsing around the roost.

I read a lot of manga (and a decent amount of Franco-Belgian comics since those are the most common here), but I've never actually gotten into American comics much, outside that time a couple years back where a friend convinced me to try Fables (for anyone curious, I had mixed thoughts on it especially with the inconsistent art quality, the highs were pretty good but didn't offset the lows enough for me).

Where are some good places to like, look up which runs of a series are which and get an idea of what certain storylines are like? I'd been curious to try some of the X-Men comics, but I figure I'm not going to just want to start at the 1963 ones, and.. I don't really know which storylines are where and how standalone they are. One my friends mentioned I could look into X-Force, I think? But honestly just trying to look things up on wikis gives me a million different names and it gets pretty confusing pretty quick so I feel like I'm missing something haha.

I might start dumping any thoughts I have on what I read week to week... Since I generally read everything that DC pumps out regardless of quality and honestly it takes an especially good creative team and character for me to read a Marvel, it'll seem a little skewed but that's me.

For now I'll leave that the best thing I read that came out this week was Catwoman: Lonely City

Hey comic book folks, what do we think about discussing manga? I was thinking about making a manga ST but didn't want to steal your thunder if you think this ST would be the best place to do it :p I know the audiences tend to be different so I didn't want to just start spamming my manga thoughts if you want to keep this thread focused on comics. I don't read any comics (tried getting into them in the past, not for me) but do read my fair share of manga. Would love to have some people to discuss the weekly Jump releases with!

Hey comic book folks, what do we think about discussing manga? I was thinking about making a manga ST but didn't want to steal your thunder if you think this ST would be the best place to do it :p I know the audiences tend to be different so I didn't want to just start spamming my manga thoughts if you want to keep this thread focused on comics. I don't read any comics (tried getting into them in the past, not for me) but do read my fair share of manga. Would love to have some people to discuss the weekly Jump releases with!
I wouldn't mind having a separate thread for manga personally. Nothing against super hero comics, but I'm a bit of a lapsed fan these days, and mostly read manga, Bande dessinƩe, and old comic strips recently.

Hi everybody! Just ran into this thread while browsing around the roost.

I read a lot of manga (and a decent amount of Franco-Belgian comics since those are the most common here), but I've never actually gotten into American comics much, outside that time a couple years back where a friend convinced me to try Fables (for anyone curious, I had mixed thoughts on it especially with the inconsistent art quality, the highs were pretty good but didn't offset the lows enough for me).

Where are some good places to like, look up which runs of a series are which and get an idea of what certain storylines are like? I'd been curious to try some of the X-Men comics, but I figure I'm not going to just want to start at the 1963 ones, and.. I don't really know which storylines are where and how standalone they are. One my friends mentioned I could look into X-Force, I think? But honestly just trying to look things up on wikis gives me a million different names and it gets pretty confusing pretty quick so I feel like I'm missing something haha.
Was it just X-Men you were interested in? Or any other characters out there?
I read a good amount of manga (I believe Donnie reads some too), but there's usually not a huge overlap there I find. I think a separate thread would be more than fine personally.

That sounds great! I had originally left a jokey line in the OT about it being fine to discuss manga when we had like 3 people lol but it's getting a little busier in here (yay) and I would be all for a seperate manga thread since you're talking about two fairly different things, formats etc. I donā€™t read weekly releases but I am reading some.manga right now so I might even pop by!

I might start dumping any thoughts I have on what I read week to week... Since I generally read everything that DC pumps out regardless of quality and honestly it takes an especially good creative team and character for me to read a Marvel, it'll seem a little skewed but that's me.

For now I'll leave that the best thing I read that came out this week was Catwoman: Lonely City

You totally should!

Current is fine, as long as there's something I can pick up in tpb.

I'm just going to use comixology links:

John Constantine Hellblazer: https://www.comixology.com/John-Constantine-Hellblazer-2019/comics-series/138507

Far Sector: https://www.comixology.com/Far-Sector-2019/comics-series/137341

Vision: https://www.comixology.com/Vision-2015-2016/comics-series/58175

Shade the Changing Girl: https://www.comixology.com/Shade-The-Changing-Girl-2016-2017/comics-series/78343

Shade the Changing Woman: https://www.comixology.com/Shade-The-Changing-Woman-2018/comics-series/112973

Immortal Hulk: https://www.comixology.com/Immortal-Hulk-2018/comics-series/116871

Thank you so much! That would have taken me hours of research.

I did actually read Vision back when it came out and enjoyed it. All the others sounds appealing but I think I will give Far Sector and Shade the Changing Girl a go. Thanks again.

Was it just X-Men you were interested in? Or any other characters out there?
I'd be down to check out other things as well! My main reasoning was that of all the comic book movie adaptations I've seen, they're the ones where I found the characters the most interesting (conceptually and not just in execution, since I imagine that varies a lot) so I figured it was as good a starting point as any. Otherwise if you think there's better series to check out first I can always cover some genres I like.

On that note, someone mentioned Hellblazer above, and I'd completely forgotten I tried to read the 1988 series once too, a few years ago now. I started on issue #1 (because I wasn't familiar with how these things work) and stopped after... 10-20 or so because the writing quality was all over the place and the early going gets pretty wildly racist at points. I'd be down to give it another spin if someone has a better recommendation on where to start/stop with it.

I'd be down to check out other things as well! My main reasoning was that of all the comic book movie adaptations I've seen, they're the ones where I found the characters the most interesting (conceptually and not just in execution, since I imagine that varies a lot) so I figured it was as good a starting point as any. Otherwise if you think there's better series to check out first I can always cover some genres I like.

On that note, someone mentioned Hellblazer above, and I'd completely forgotten I tried to read the 1988 series once too, a few years ago now. I started on issue #1 (because I wasn't familiar with how these things work) and stopped after... 10-20 or so because the writing quality was all over the place and the early going gets pretty wildly racist at points. I'd be down to give it another spin if someone has a better recommendation on where to start/stop with it.

For Hellblazer, the link I posted above is honest great place to start - it's a contained 12 issue story by the same writer and artists (there are two). When a series runs that long it's really best to pick specific creator runs to start with, for the original I'm partial to the original Jamie Delano run (the first ~40 issues), but everyone has their favorite runs. When talking about American comics you'll typically see things referenced like that, ie the Morrison run of Batman, the Claremont run of X-Men, etc.

House of X / Powers of X is a great newish starting point for X-Men. It got me back into X-Men and comics in general. I liked it so much I've read every single issue of X-Men since and have started to re-read from the beginning haha

I think its worth saying for both @excelsior and @paranoodle that both of you are getting some great recs here lol but also worth considering that Marvel and DC both have subscription model formats. Modern comics are expensive so maybe worth considering if you end up liking whatever you start!

I think its worth saying for both @excelsior and @paranoodle that both of you are getting some great recs here lol but also worth considering that Marvel and DC both have subscription model formats. Modern comics are expensive so maybe worth considering if you end up liking whatever you start!

Yes, this 1000%! If you're in the US you have access to both Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite and potentially Hoopla through your public library. These are all great options to dip your toes in and figure out what you like.

For Hellblazer, the link I posted above is honest great place to start - it's a contained 12 issue story by the same writer and artists (there are two). When a series runs that long it's really best to pick specific creator runs to start with, for the original I'm partial to the original Jamie Delano run (the first ~40 issues), but everyone has their favorite runs. When talking about American comics you'll typically see things referenced like that, ie the Morrison run of Batman, the Claremont run of X-Men, etc.
Thanks, I'll try to check that one out then!

I've definitely heard of creator runs as a term before, but I'm not really familiar with any specific authors. Are runs usually (somewhat) self-contained? Or do you have to read previous issues/runs for full context?

House of X / Powers of X is a great newish starting point for X-Men. It got me back into X-Men and comics in general. I liked it so much I've read every single issue of X-Men since and have started to re-read from the beginning haha

Ooh, I'll have to check that out then, thank you!

Oh yeah I was absolutely going to check out digital releases if I can find them, I don't live in the US and English isn't an official language here so I'd have to worry about importing and comics are already expensive enough without that extra cost haha.

Ooh, I'll have to check that out then, thank you!
Hope you enjoy! It's basically a whole status quo shift and it's the hottest X-Men has been in a long time.

Definitely check out Marvel Universe, it's like a netflix subscription service just for Marvel comics. I don't use it too much but it's brilliant value really if you're just getting into comics.

edit: as I see @Donnie mentioned it aboce.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom