• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic US Politics |ST| The Kyrsten Sinema-tic Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but Palestinians are dying NOW. They're being bombed and starved NOW. They are being genocided NOW. All this talk about "Trump will be worse" is meaningless because Israel's extermination of the Palestinian people is happening this very instant and under Biden's administration.

And also, it's a very callous thing to say "the other will be worse" when we're talking about fucking genocide. It's telling that you're trying to do the "he'll be worse" angle as if the genocide of Palestinians is the baseline and we cannot be better than that. If both of our parties openly support the extermination of a populace, the answer isn't "vote for the one that does the smaller genocide", it should be "the system is so thoroughly corrupt it needs to completely dismantled until it no longer supports a genocide."
This is bullshit. We were talking about an election and the two choices. If you never explain what the other choice means then what the fuck are you even arguing.

This would be like me responding to your post with, “wow. So Ukrainian lives don’t matter? Do you not see how your complete disregard for their lives is so callous?”

There is a clear difference in the candidates on many issues. Ukraine is just one issue. Israel may or may not be that different. I think it’ll be worse, if you think otherwise actually say so. Make the argument. Don’t just say “but Biden is bad now!” I know he is! Where the hell did I defend Biden’s actions? Meanwhile Trump has said he’d consider imprisoning women for getting abortions, that he would deport pro Palestinian protesters, and just this week he used the word Palestinian as a slur and said he wants to arrest his political opponents.

In our broken system, you have two choices. Telling me one is bad and refusing to ever talk about what the other choice will do to make things better isn’t a particularly compelling argument.

And your “solution” of dismantling the current system is a pipe dream. Just look around the world. Who is getting more powerful? Progressive governments or authoritarian ones? You think if we destroyed our current system the one you want is the one that would come out on top and everything would be better? Excuse me if I have extreme doubts about that. But even if I did humor it, is that happening this year? You think there’s a progressive movement to overthrow our government that is so soon it makes voting this coming election pointless? I mean, there is an attempt to overthrow our government. We saw it on January 6th. How there is any debate between these two is crazy to me.

We are currently living in a world where Palestinians are systematically being sexually assaulted and murdered, where Israel has been added to the UN list of countries that murder children, where US bombs are being dropped on indiscriminately on civilians in a campaign of unhindered genocide. If you can watch this reality and your response is simply "Well Trump would be worse!!", kindly shut the fuck up and never comment on the reality of human suffering again. Our current president is supporting, enabling, and propagandizing these atrocities every step of the way, while looking the other way as his pigs assault children who dare to protest the reality of genocide and smearing them as anti-semites.

People who still enthusiastically stan for Biden do not actually give a single shit about human rights; it's nothing more than an aesthetic preference for a more respectable fascist, one who won't disturb them while they've having brunch.

That's something I've been pondering, though I'm pessimistic that this scenario would happen. I don't think the media writ large is particularly motivated by pure partisanship, and I suspect that the Democrats would try to flank the Republicans from the right and accuse them of being insufficiently bloodthirsty.
That’s a good point, that would probably happen. Counters of Israeli soldiers who have died because President Cheeto is too busy tweeting to provide military funding.

This is bullshit. We were talking about an election and the two choices. If you never explain what the other choice means then what the fuck are you even arguing.

You know, there is a third option: Not voting for a president and/or voting third party. Those are options. There aren't just two choices.

Like, I'll be frank, our current systems need to be completely dismantled. I could go on about what the most effective method is, but I feel people wouldn't like to hear the answer to this. Either way, as it stands, we either have conservative party or conservative party, and which one is worse is really just down to schematics. Biden is actually worse about some things or kept other policies that the Trump administration kept (Good example is Trump rolling back Obama admin stuff with Cuba and further doubling down on Trump's policies on Cuba, plus Biden also further making things worse at the borders for the interment camps, and there's more but those are the immediate ones that come to mind, plus the recent executive order we covered).

I cannot in my good conscious vote for the Democrats on almost anything. I'm tired of being gaslighted and talked down on, so you aren't going to convince me with what you're saying. Everyone's replies in here very much cover what I need to say.

Last edited:

This would be like me responding to your post with, “wow. So Ukrainian lives don’t matter? Do you not see how your complete disregard for their lives is so callous?”

There is a clear difference in the candidates on many issues. Ukraine is just one issue. Israel may or may not be that different. I think it’ll be worse, if you think otherwise actually say so. Make the argument. Don’t just say “but Biden is bad now!” I know he is! Where the hell did I defend Biden’s actions? Meanwhile Trump has said he’d consider imprisoning women for getting abortions, that he would deport pro Palestinian protesters, and just this week he used the word Palestinian as a slur and said he wants to arrest his political opponents.

In our broken system, you have two choices. Telling me one is bad and refusing to ever talk about what the other choice will do to make things better isn’t a particularly compelling argument.

And your “solution” of dismantling the current system is a pipe dream. Just look around the world. Who is getting more powerful? Progressive governments or authoritarian ones? You think if we destroyed our current system the one you want is the one that would come out on top and everything would be better? Excuse me if I have extreme doubts about that. But even if I did humor it, is that happening this year? You think there’s a progressive movement to overthrow our government that is so soon it makes voting this coming election pointless? I mean, there is an attempt to overthrow our government. We saw it on January 6th. How there is any debate between these two is crazy to me.
Well

1. If you did bring up Ukraine, I would ask what that had to do with the point I made.

2. I would appreciate it if you didn’t put words in my mouth. Did I say Trump and Biden were the same in abortion, Ukraine, lgbtq rights, and other political matters? Where did I say Biden and Trump or the same? Hell, where did I say I’m not voting for Biden?

3. It appears you don’t understand my point. My point is that the current genocide is happening right now and even if Trump wins (something that unfortunately can happen), that’s still irrelevant to the current genocide. Even if he wins, that’s still 6 months out when we’re counting in days if not hours. Pointing out that Trump might be worse is irrelevant to those starving right now and being denied care.

4. The problem with trying to tie the election to the genocide of Palestinians is that we’re are already at the level of genocide. Trying to go “this guy will be worse” doesn’t work because the end result is still genocide.

5. Again, stop putting words in my mouth. Did I say I support the January 6th riots? Does anything I write imply I support that? I think our American system is and has been since its inception a broken system that has repeatedly broken its promise of democracy over and over and over in the name of capitalism. That doesn’t mean I’m gunning for Trump to win. Or that those who did their pathetic Congress takeover are my heroes. Stop implying things about my character.

This comes off as cosplay nonsense unless you’ve been persuading US military members to try to violently overthrow the US government.

There is zero path to violently overthrowing the US government without support from the US military and I haven’t seen any real attempts at persuading US military members to be communists other than calling them fascists (which I don’t think will be effective)

Another thing I neglected to mention in my post is that you can also organize and coordinate things to help people out, with the latter can still be doable even if you are disabled and have mental/neurological issues. That does a lot more than just voting and can actively help others through various organizations, resources, and so on. Like, that is absolutely another option for people to do. Voting is not the only thing on the table to help others.

I'm sorry, but not voting = a vote for Trump.

I'm not using that as a scare tactic, it's just how it works on average (statistically). I say that as someone who hates Democrats in general (I lean more to the left).

But I won't pretend not voting = hurting Biden and Trump both equally. It doesn't work that way.

By not voting for Biden, that's +1 votes for Trump. Also, by not voting for Trump, that's +1 votes for Biden. Therefore, not voting for either candidate is actually double voting, you're now guilty of a federal crime. Get ready for prison time

Your guy is doing a genocide and enacting fascist border policy. Crying over someone not voting for him is funny when he should really be on trail for crimes against humanity. Someone not voting for him is peanuts

What does that make a vote for Trump, than? Two votes?

No? You’re twisting what I said. A vote for Trump is not a “not voting” scenario.

With higher vote turnouts, Democrats outperform. With lower vote turnouts, GOP outperform.

You’d know this if you follow polling & political statistics. Pennsylvania and Georgia was perfect examples, those looked red at first but ended up being blue. The polling predictiors got that part right, they projected Democrat win despite current vote totals showing GOP being ahead.

This feeds into GOP policy of trying to create voter disfranchisement particularly in populated areas - make blue states more red.

It’s a thing in states like Florida, a battleground state. Taking mail-in ballot voters off rolls for example and trying to force them to vote in person instead. Densely populated counties have higher mail in ballot numbers historically (for obvious reasons, it’s a statistical thing), this Florida GOP policy of trying to dismantle mail in ballot in any way they can.

VOTE is what I’m saying, regardless of what side you’re on. I don’t agree with Biden’s handling of Israel/Palestine, but fuck Trumpism/fascism. If Trump were to win, watch GOP try to further dismantle balances and checks in US politics to make it as impossible as possible for Democrats to be elected into power again across federal level and on state/local levels.

Remember the January 6 riot and attempt to overthrow the government and also attempts to enact martial law? I sure do, maybe you don’t.

Last edited:
Gonna vote daffy duck to do my part increasing voter turnout and then there will certainly be no complaints

VOTE is what I’m saying, regardless of what side you’re on. I don’t agree with Biden’s handling of Israel/Palestine, but fuck Trumpism/fascism. If Trump were to win, watch GOP try to further dismantle balances and checks in US politics to make it as impossible as possible for Democrats to be elected into power again across federal level and on state/local levels.

Remember the January 6 riot and attempt to overthrow the government and also attempts to enact martial law? I sure do, maybe you don’t.

This would imply Biden isn't a fascist, and I have some unfortunate news to share with you...

I feel like you should at least grapple with

1. There are many bad foreign policy and immigration policies supported by Biden and previously Hillary Clinton.
2. Donald Trump being elected over Hillary Clinton caused abortion to be banned in large parts of the United States and Biden getting elected over Donald Trump caused significant climate change investments.
3. Donald Trump loves drone strikes and Biden has done essentially no drone strikes in office.
4. The only real political alternative to voting is convincing the military to violently overthrow the government

If you have a strategy to violently overthrow the US government with support from the US military, OK (sure you do, lol), but if not, you should probably try to avoid Donald Trump second term based on the Donald Trump first term.

In the end, this forum is completely irrelevant as to the outcome of the 2024 election, but "don't vote do..... something else I will not articulate" is just cosplay.

In the end, this forum is completely irrelevant as to the outcome of the 2024 election, but "don't vote do..... something else I will not articulate" is just cosplay.

Volunteering, assisting with people in need, either through monetary, food, and or housing, organizing with groups to help people in bad situations to get out of them, doing stuff at the local level that can help communities around them, and so on. For the disabled and at a disadvantage, coordinating or helping raise awareness of services and groups that can help is another thing. There's also more but this is just the first things that come to mind.

That isn't cosplaying. That's doing actual work. I'm not the best at my words but this is the type of stuff I'm talking about.

Volunteering, assisting with people in need, either through monetary, food, and or housing, organizing with groups to help people in bad situations to get out of them, doing stuff at the local level that can help communities around them, and so on. For the disabled and at a disadvantage, coordinating or helping raise awareness of services and groups that can help is another thing. There's also more but this is just the first things that come to mind.

That isn't cosplaying. That's doing actual work. I'm not the best at my words but this is the type of stuff I'm talking about.

Except voting doesn't stop you from doing any of those things. I vote and volunteer and donate money and have worked at environmental nonprofits. Voting is about control of the government and the only alternative to voting for control of the government is political violence.

Except voting doesn't stop you from doing any of those things. I vote and volunteer and donate money and have worked at environmental nonprofits. Voting is about control of the government and the only alternative to voting for control of the government is political violence.

Voting is only effective if the government actively respects the will of the people. Our governments don't. And our entire systems are broken. As mentioned, voting will NOT fix this.

Voting is only effective if the government actively respects the will of the people. Our governments don't. And our entire systems are broken. As mentioned, voting will NOT fix this.
What will fix it then? We let Trump get in, he dismantles the systems even further than he did his first time around, hope the government collapses entirely and anarchy reigns supreme? We pull a French revolution?
Or are you just not interested in fixing it, and instead would rather do things on a local basis? Hey, they say change starts at home, so...

When you vote for someone it comes with the implication that you support them or approve of them in some way. I can see why people wouldn’t want to do that for Biden considering the past few months. Even if they don’t tell anyone who they voted for they’ll know themselves.

The sitting Democrat president is aiding in a genocide, continuing many of Trump's own policies ranging from this asinine trade war with China to the fascist immigration policy he's enacted, and has overseen the brutalization of protestors nationwide while actively defaming and slurring them. It makes all the concern being feigned over the harm another Trump term will do ring hollow when liberals are so eager to accept and defend these things as long as Team Blue is doing them and not Team Red.

When you vote for someone it comes with the implication that you support them or approve of them in some way. I can see why people wouldn’t want to do that for Biden considering the past few months. Even if they don’t tell anyone who they voted for they’ll know themselves.
Yeah, I can't really begrudge anyone for their choice when the motivations are desperation to keep Republicans out of power versus complete moral disgust at the thought of supporting the Democrats. I'm fortunate to live in a state where my vote Does Not Matter, so I have no obligation to think about the top line too hard, but the messaging of this cycle is going to lead a lot of people to blame themselves for getting a bad result in a scenario without a good outcome.

I make a point of avoiding posting in this thread, but I felt behooved to do so with the current discussion, especially since while some of what I say will be tinged with US-specific information, these principles apply universally to all elections happening this year and in all years to come.
Every election where Trump is a candidate is no less than a vote pro or contra the concept of humanity. If your main motivation is to stick it to '''''Genocide Joe''''', I'm convinced that you do not care one ounce for the future of the disenfranchised anywhere on the planet.
I’d say any vote where we need to deal any modern Republican (so any of them from the past half-century or so) as a candidate is going to make voting against them a necessity. Like I can’t say I’ve been a fan of any of the presidents I’ve lived through but harm reduction is the least I’m going to do
I’ll make this clear so folks in the cheap seats can hear me: it is not the electorate’s job to be forced to swallow a bitter pill, it is the duty of the parties and the candidate to make you want to elect them.
If Democrats want people motivated to vote for their presidential candidate, they have to… y’know, motivate them to, not leave it up to their opposition to do the motivation for them as Democrats absolutely are right now.

When posters here are admitting that the president can’t do anything to protect against red/centrist Dem state actions against the disabled, trans people, the poor, etc., what value does the president’s rhetoric on protecting their rights and livelihoods matter if it’s acknowledged to be completely empty rhetoric?

Additionally, there are I’m sure a significant enough amount of people who are still voting, but will only do so down-ticket for their House reps. But the same principle applies there, a candidate’s job is to appeal to the voter, and no small amount of them openly carrying water for the president instead of growing a spine and standing up to right the party ship hasn’t been doing many favours to them. No one should shed a tear for the Democrats’ self-made problems at the ballot box.

Because make no mistake, this is a self-made problem. While some have goldfish memories when it comes to this administration, I certainly do not.

When he told immigration activists to "vote for Trump" in 2019 (along with lying about not taking fossil fuel money, by the by), was he discredited for it? No, the party was so desperate to shut out Bernie that the centrist vote coalesced around him. He was elected on the back of this being his true beliefs and intentions. Only now, when his inaction has led to China absolutely fucking embarrassing the US by decreasing its fossil fuel use by at least 17% in a decade, having more solar installations in a single year than the rest of the world and more than the entire lifetime US solar fleet, the highest BEV adoption outside of Norway, and both sectors ready to export cheap green tech to the entire global south, only now does he act out of pure economic protectionism, announcing industrial policy for the US while decrying industrial policy abroad as "unfair".
He effectively asked people not to vote for him if he didn't stand for what they believe in. Why be mad when people are taking Biden up on his own generous offer now in 2024?

When he not only left many of Trump’s policies that he decried prior to taking office intact but actively expanded upon them, dissent within the electorate and within the party was shouted down or silenced. This was an opportunity to seek alternative candidates for 2024, it wasn’t taken.

When he was suggested to be in cognitive decline, dissent within the electorate and within the party was - you guessed it - shouted down or silenced. Another opportunity, wasted.

When he began spouting wholly unsubstantiated (and since provably false) claims of Hamas atrocities following Oct. 7th to justify weapons spending to Israel, which he had bypassed Congress twice to push through even before the end of 2023... well, I don't wanna be a broken record about it.

There were plenty more opportunities to go "hey, let's maybe not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" that I am neglecting to mention for brevity, but every single time, not only were such opportunities ignored, they were seen as a chance to defend the honour of Joseph Robinette Biden. You'll still see people talk about him as if he's the most progressive president that the US has ever had, which is laughable. His history in Congress was well known, his actions during his initial candidacy and his first term told people exactly who he was, so lots of voters aren't interested in Democrat crocodile tears that it's too late to replace him and you have to vote for him, because folks only have to vote for him because no one listened when those folks said they wouldn't. The electorate is tired of eating Democrats' shit after decades and decades of doing so, so maybe they should do something about it. There was over 4 years to turn this sinking ship back to port. If it sinks now, it's on them, not the electorate. If you feel that it comes at the most inopportune time, that's still on them.

Also, any claims of "harm reduction" can be blown out the window, there's no reduction in harm to be had here, just a moderate slowing of it. Electing Biden now sends a lot of negative signals. That his actions regarding Palestine have the electorate's approval, so he'll keep on going. That he can win on mere rhetoric without having to act on it because, again, as admitted, most of the harm to the marginalized electorate is happening at the state level, and he's worsened Trump policies on his watch that Biden himself said were harmful in the lead-up to the last election. How is electing a candidate making a bad thing worse "harm reduction"? How is "it's already worse but it'll be worse faster with Trump" a rallying cry people feel comfortable getting behind? That folks demand better than a slower-acting poison should be seen as virtuous, not something to demonize or admonish.

Lastly, if people want to save their vote for down-ballot or, even better, state legislature races where it seems a lot of the harm is being done, that sounds like a better use of their democratic rights all around.
It is beyond insane that people refuse to recognize that it can get so, so much worse in Palestine if Trump is president again.
Unless you’re going to explain how Trump will make lives for Palestinians even one iota better, this is a bullshit attempt at a gotcha.
How can the situation in Palestine get any worse? Is Trump somehow going to magically make Bibi kill Palestinians faster than his government is already? Given the situation there, if the death rate slows, it'll be because of other world powers and the US will have zero to do with it (but will take all the fucking credit, I'm sure). People talk about Biden having "red lines", that his sabre-rattling rhetoric belies a wholly-imaginary desire to stop the conflict in the background that never materializes into reality.
At best, you can call the situation in Palestine a total wash in either a Biden or Trump presidency. That's not the vindication y'all make it seem to be, it's fucking abysmal and a condemnation of the Democratic candidate for president, full stop.
Besides, with the famine Bibi is engaged in with Palestine right now, there may not be a Palestine to act worse towards anyways, unless we magically believe that Palestinians can survive being starved to death for 4-5 more months. This is a genocide we're talking about, lest we forget, one that Biden has proclaimed doesn't exist.
I asked how Trump would make things better. You responded that you can’t imagine how he’d make them worse. Not only isn’t that an answer to my question, it just shows a failure of imagination. There are a lot of ways for things to get worse. You’re talking about a guy who just this week was throwing out the word Palestinian as an insult to describe Chuck Schumer. I don’t get the sense he’s going to even bother pretending to talk about peace.
No one thinks Trump will make things better, and no one argued that, so bringing it up is non-sensical, and your only provided example of things getting worse is rhetoric being meaner, as if that somehow means anything substantive. Also, the US may not be deporting people for Palestine protests right now, but they are jailing them... and oops, if you happen to be a foreigner, guess what happens because you have a criminal record? Different method, similar end result. Funny that.
What will fix it then? We let Trump get in, he dismantles the systems even further than he did his first time around, hope the government collapses entirely and anarchy reigns supreme? We pull a French revolution?
Or are you just not interested in fixing it, and instead would rather do things on a local basis? Hey, they say change starts at home, so...
Considering the level of power the states have over the lives of everyday Americans and is, admitted by others here, the source of a great many problems that Biden apparently has his hands tied to fix, yeah, that's a really good place to start focusing attention on.

Last edited:
Voting is how our system works. I reject the notion that a candidate must woo me in order for me to exercise my fundament right to vote. I can hate both candidates, but when the day comes I will still make a choice. I choose the candidate that didn’t try to violently overthrow the government and murder legislators and his own Vice President. You can compare Biden’s policies to Trump all you want, but given everything Trump has done and has been saying I have no reason to think his second term would just be a rehash of his first.

Voting is how our system works. I reject the notion that a candidate must woo me in order for me to exercise my fundament right to vote. I can hate both candidates, but when the day comes I will still make a choice. I choose the candidate that didn’t try to violently overthrow the government and murder legislators and his own Vice President. You can compare Biden’s policies to Trump all you want, but given everything Trump has done and has been saying I have no reason to think his second term would just be a rehash of his first.
Taking this position to its natural conclusion, if they don't have to give you a reason to vote for them, your democratic right to vote boils right down to "pick a colour". But of course, only one party is actually not bothering to give a reason to vote. Some people vote for Trump because, repugnant as what he plans to do is, he gives them what they want. The very thing I argue for conservative-opposing political parties to do rather than just relying on conservative repugnance to guilt them into a vote while offering marginal improvements to the status quo, if any at all. That Democrats can't learn the fundamental lesson of Trump's rise to popularity is, again, not the electorate's fault. Democrats have been playing this game with the electorate of "we only have to be less worse than the alternative" for decades, people are tired of it, and no one has any right to blame portions of the electorate for their rightful exasperation.

Last edited:
Taking this position to its natural conclusion, if they don't have to give you a reason to vote for them, your democratic right to vote boils right down to "pick a colour". But of course, only one party is actually not bothering to give a reason to vote. Some people vote for Trump because, repugnant as what he plans to do is, he gives them what they want. The very thing I argue for conservative-opposing political parties to do rather than just relying on conservative repugnance to guilt them into a vote while offering marginal improvements to the status quo, if any at all. That Democrats can't learn the fundamental lesson of Trump's rise to popularity is, again, not the electorate's fault. Democrats have been playing this game with the electorate of "we only have to be less worse than the alternative" for decades, people are tired of it, and no one has any right to blame portions of the electorate for their rightful exasperation.
Just want to give this and your previous post a manual yeag

Your goddamn right.

But my question is now what? How do you hold a government responsible or enact good change when you don't have a side you can believe in or support? This is a question Ive been pondering for my own personal self and still don't really have answer for.

This is pretty thoroughly not shown by the current polling (which is very weird due to questionable methodology changes) which sees former Biden voters mostly mad about cumulative inflation, immigration (they think there’s too much), and Biden’s age.

Biden passed three major bills, a stimulus bill, a climate bill, and an infrastructure bill. Voters have largely been indifferent to all three, but they did happen. Drone strikes were reduced to essentially zero under Biden and obviously no one cares.

The outcomes of a Trump presidency will mostly be:

1. The Supreme Court will become a 6-3 lock for the next 20-80 years depending on random chance.

2. The temporary Trump tax cuts will likely become permanent without concessions made for an expanded child tax credit etc.

3. Ukraine’s odds of finding fighting off the Russian invasion will go from “low” to “zero.”

4. There will be more democratic backsliding.

Will any of this vote fix society or the United States as a whole, obviously not, but not voting is pretty pointless as it’s impossible to send an actual message through not voting due to how hard it is to accurately find out the views of non-voters.

Obviously I don’t agree. Not much else to say. Taking not voting to its natural conclusion, worse and worse bad actors will enter politics stripping the government and its people of its rights and resources. Which we’ve seen. You not voting doesn’t stop the government from existing or those levers of power from being meaningful. It certainly doesn’t teach anybody a lesson other than you are not a reliable voter. You can be tired of democrats - I never liked them - but I can be tired of cynicism masked as enlightenment which encourages disengagement and self disenfranchisement.

Your goddamn right.

But my question is now what? How do you hold a government responsible or enact good change when you don't have a side you can believe in or support? This is a question Ive been pondering for my own personal self and still don't really have answer for.
Apparently you root for the government to crumble and then say, “well it was all their fault they didn’t woo me.” There seems to be this notion that if people are upset at those arguing that voting is meaningless they therefore don’t also put any blame on democrats if they lose. No idea why. There’s no contradiction holding both thoughts.

This is pretty thoroughly not shown by the current polling (which is very weird due to questionable methodology changes) which sees former Biden voters mostly mad about cumulative inflation, immigration (they think there’s too much), and Biden’s age.

Biden passed three major bills, a stimulus bill, a climate bill, and an infrastructure bill. Voters have largely been indifferent to all three, but they did happen. Drone strikes were reduced to essentially zero under Biden and obviously no one cares.

1. The Supreme Court will become a 6-3 lock for the next 20-80 years depending on random chance.

2. The temporary Trump tax cuts will likely become permanent without concessions made for an expanded child tax credit etc.

3. Ukraine’s odds of finding fighting off the Russian invasion will go from “low” to “zero.”

Will any of this vote fix society or the United States as a whole, obviously not, but not voting is pretty pointless as it’s impossible to send an actual message through not voting due to how hard it is to accurately find out the views of non-voters.
Right. And then there’s the outright denial of any accomplishments like the ones you listed as well as his dramatically improved climate policies or student debt forgiveness (which people dismiss because he wasn’t actually able to wave a magic wand), or as you pointed out being able to appoint a Justice, never mind the hundreds of historically diverse lower court judges he’s appointed.

Right. And then there’s the outright denial of any accomplishments like the ones you listed as well as his dramatically improved climate policies or student debt forgiveness (which people dismiss because he wasn’t actually able to wave a magic wand), or as you pointed out being able to appoint a Justice, never mind the hundreds of historically diverse lower court judges he’s appointed.

Classic whataboutism. Supporting the war Israel is conducting in my opinion nullifies all the good that he has done. That specific act is Trump level bad (Again, in my opinion). I won’t get angry at someone wanting to vote Biden of course but I also cannot blame somebody for not wanting to vote as a show of protest or personal belief.

Apparently you root for the government to crumble and then say, “well it was all their fault they didn’t woo me.” There seems to be this notion that if people are upset at those arguing that voting is meaningless they therefore don’t also put any blame on democrats if they lose. No idea why. There’s no contradiction holding both thoughts

We currently engage in a system that does not work for everybody. For those with no recourse, Why should they settle down and be quiet and just participate?

Classic whataboutism. Supporting the war Israel is conducting in my opinion nullifies all the good that he has done. That specific act is Trump level bad (Again, in my opinion). I won’t get angry at someone wanting to vote Biden of course but I also cannot blame somebody for not wanting to vote as a show of protest or personal belief.

We currently engage in a system that does not work for everybody. For those with no recourse, Why should they settle down and be quiet and just participate?
That is the exact opposite of whataboutism. Like I honestly don’t even understand your point because it is so clearly the opposite of what that word means. And I’m not hating on people that can’t bring themselves to vote for Biden, I explicitly said those advocating not voting and saying it is meaningless. Why should I stay silent if somebody is trying to convince others not to vote? Only those advocating not to vote may express their thoughts? Fuck that.

That is the exact opposite of whataboutism. Like I honestly don’t even understand your point because it is so clearly the opposite of what that word means. And I’m not hating on people that can’t bring themselves to vote for Biden, I explicitly said those advocating not voting and saying it is meaningless. Why should I stay silent if somebody is trying to convince others not to vote? Only those advocating not to vote may express their thoughts? Fuck that.

The issue at hand is his policy regarding Israel. Not about (and I quote)

“And then there’s the outright denial of any accomplishments like the ones you listed as well as his dramatically improved climate policies or student debt forgiveness (which people dismiss because he wasn’t actually able to wave a magic wand), or as you pointed out being able to appoint a Justice, never mind the hundreds of historically diverse lower court judges he’s appointed.”

Reads to me as:

“But what about this thing he did and that thing he did”.

I think the point you are missing is that people are allowed to have a VALID viewpoint of “those advocating not voting and saying it is meaningless” (Once again quoted from your post).

I can make a pretty big argument that is meaningless and a waste of time. I can also make an argument that it’s the only way to change things. It’s probably best to support people thinking really hard about this and doing what they feel is right regardless if it’s not voting or just voting in spite of the issue.

Why should I stay silent if somebody is trying to convince others not to vote? Only those advocating not to vote may express their thoughts? Fuck that.

“But what about me?”

I think expression of opinion and facts/logic to back it up is fine. Trying to convince somebody or chastising them for their opinion is where I draw the line. To be clear, my opposition to your posts is about how you are doing it and not the opinion itself.

The issue at hand is his policy regarding Israel. Not about (and I quote)

“And then there’s the outright denial of any accomplishments like the ones you listed as well as his dramatically improved climate policies or student debt forgiveness (which people dismiss because he wasn’t actually able to wave a magic wand), or as you pointed out being able to appoint a Justice, never mind the hundreds of historically diverse lower court judges he’s appointed.”

Reads to me as:

“But what about this thing he did and that thing he did”.

I think the point you are missing is that people are allowed to have a VALID viewpoint of “those advocating not voting and saying it is meaningless” (Once again quoted from your post).

I can make a pretty big argument that is meaningless and a waste of time. I can also make an argument that it’s the only way to change things. It’s probably best to support people thinking really hard about this and doing what they feel is right regardless if it’s not voting or just voting in spite of the issue.

“But what about me?”

I think expression of opinion and facts/logic to back it up is fine. Trying to convince somebody or chastising them for their opinion is where I draw the line. To be clear, my opposition to your posts is about how you are doing it and not the opinion itself.
No. The issue at hand is the election. I was always talking about the choices in the upcoming election. Others constantly wanting to make it solely about Israel without discussing Trump was my issue. And then some made it about voting in general.

No. The issue at hand is the election. I was always talking about the choices in the upcoming election. Others constantly wanting to make it solely about Israel without discussing Trump was my issue. And then some made it about voting in general.

It’s a really big issue and (forgive me I’m generalizing here) I’ve only ever seen anyone advocating for not voting with the context of Israel and literally nothing else Biden has done. So that in and of itself becomes the main issue.

If Biden never sent weapons to Israel after their handling of Gaza, I really think nobody would be advocating for not voting. So that’s why it really is all about sending weapons to Israel and not about the election itself. We can’t have this dialogue without addressing it.

It's absolutely farcical to try to praise Biden for "reducing" drone strikes while he helps Israel wage a war of extermination against Palestinians.

Also, what is your definition of "near zero"?

The new Airpower Summary data reveal that the United States has dropped another 3,246 bombs and missiles on Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria (2,068 under Trump and 1,178 under Biden) since February 2020.

Not to mention all the economic warfare, like trying to steal Afghanistan's money, or the blockades he continues to enforce against nations like Cuba.

The rest of your points are ridiculous.

When it came to the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, Oren notes in his memoir, Biden sometimes employed an uncomfortable analogy: “Never crucify yourself on a small cross.” The message: The Palestinians aren’t pliable or important enough to be worth the trouble, given the political cost domestically.
The senator — Biden — said he would go even further than Israel, adding that he’d forcefully fend off anyone who sought to invade his country, even if that meant killing women or children.
Biden was never a ”good guy”, nor the supposed “empathy guy” the media hyped him to be. He was alway a vile bloodthirsty ghoul with a bigger war bonner than many republicans. But in particular, he’s always been a proud self identified zionist who gets off on dead Palestinians

Drone strikes were reduced to essentially zero under Biden and obviously no one cares.
Also, what is your definition of "near zero"?

Holy selective quoting Jesus. The very next paragraph:

The good news is that U.S. bombing of those three countries has significantly decreased from the over 12,000 bombs and missiles it dropped on them in 2019. In fact, since the withdrawal of U.S. occupation forces from Afghanistan in August, the U.S. military has officially conducted no air strikes there, and only dropped 13 bombs or missiles on Iraq and Syria — although this does not preclude additional unreported strikes by forces under CIA command or control.

Also, holy giving the game away in the link summary text Jesus and holy drones strikes to manned aircraft strikes sleigh of hand Jesus.

Also, holy giving the game away in the link summary text Jesus and holy drones strikes to manned aircraft strikes sleigh of hand Jesus.
That posting style is annoying and it took me multiple passes to figure out what you were talking about with the last bit.

Nothing about what I quoted was selective, nor does the subsequent part you quoted negate or disprove anything I said. The poster stated that Biden had reduced drone strikes in the middle to "near zero" and I provided evidence to the contrary.

As mentioned above, they're still doing drone strikes. Doesn't matter at the reduction. Unless it's 0, this is still an incredibly bad thing. This isn't the gotcha moment you think it is. And please don't post like this, comes off incredibly condescending.

People proclaiming that "harm reduction doesn't matter!" when only one side in this election wants to enact Project 2025 are asinine.

Some of us want to continue living in a non-theocratic, democracy controlled state, where lgbtq+ people have rights and protestors aren't fucking deported or sentenced to prison. Thanks.

Doesn't matter at the reduction

damn dog that's wild i'd say in a world where there are mathematically only two options it'd be worth it to vote for the guy doing fewer drone strikes, even if all else was equally bad, to save those lives. shame we live in that world, i agree. i guess we could try burning down the government and instating socialism in the next four and a half months. any ideas? no? i figured.

honestly homie it sounds like you arent actually interested in doing everything within your limited power to reduce harm in this world. that's your prerogative of course, but is a little ridiculous to grandstand from the moral high ground youve built up in your own head and then accuse other people of being condescending.

I get seeing Biden as a monster enabling a genocide, because he is. What I really can't buy into is the idea that we've hit the worst possible crimes a sitting president can commit, because it can get worse. It can always get worse. If I'm sitting on a computer complaining about the government and not fearing imprisonment, it can get worse. If my friends on life saving medicine or hormones still have access to them, it can get worse. These are the things I'm genuinely afraid of, because its trends I've demonstrably seen enacted in red states, and do not want them to be seen at a federal level.

At the start of the Trump administration, abortion was a protected right. Now it isn't. That wasn't an inevitability, that was a direct result of the election, and now the Supreme Court is fucked for a generation. People say Trump couldn't have done worse than Biden on Israel, but I would honestly believe we could potentially have US boots on the ground attacking Gaza directly in the name of defending Israel if Trump were the one making the call. This doesn't excuse Biden, or prevent him from being held accountable, but I cannot see a better alternative playing out under Trump. I believe that Ukraine would have been abandoned to pillage and genocide if Trump was in office to look the other way for Putin, because he pretty much said he would. Maybe Democrats are bad and another color of tyranny, but they at least need to rely on certain keystone issues to exist as a political entity, and those happen to be the ones I'm prioritizing, so I just can't see giving up.

This isn't to shame anyone into voting for my preferred candidate. If you're disillusioned and don't want to vote, welcome to being like half of America anyway. But I honestly can't comprehend the idea that we're at rock bottom and may as well let a provably far more dangerous person have his chance.

I want to comment on a trend that I’ve seen in real life and a bit of on here, as well. Specifically in relation to the discussion of Zionism and fascism. This could fit in the Israel/Palestine thread too, but since it’s directly relevant to conversation that was happening in here a few days ago, I want to put it here.

But first, let me qualify this post as best as I possibly can, to minimize the chances of any misunderstandings.

So hopefully that puts into context where I stand on things. But now I want to touch on the definition of Zionism.

I suppose that’s the problem though - there actually isn’t a single, universal definition. It originated as a movement for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine specifically, believing Jews have a birthright to that land. This version is very much nationalistic, colonialist, supremacist garbage. However, this is simply NOT what Zionism means to a lot of people within the Jewish community today. After Israel's establishment, the term shifted to mean support for a Jewish state's right to exist. By that definition, I have friends who would proclaim themselves Zionists yet simultaneously hate Netanyahu and support a two state solution. And in my experience, that is by and large what Jewish people mean if they refer to themselves as Zionists.

That’s why I’m a little wary of blanket equating Zionism with fascism. And that’s putting aside the fact that terms like colonialism, nationalism and supremacism are much more accurate labels for the original movement. It would be wrong of me to police how people discuss such horrific events as this genocide, and I have zero desire to do so. However, this ambiguity has left several people I know legitimately distraught, feeling that they are being accused of heinous things when in reality their views are probably more similar to the accusers than not.

Similarly, there is the slogan “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” It’s ambiguous as to whether it’s asking for the complete dissolution of the state of Israel (since it’s referring to the country’s east and west borders) or conveying a general sentiment that Palestinians need to be given their independence. I’ve seen it interpreted both ways, from both supporters and detractors. As it’s written however, the phrase is literally saying that the entire land of Palestine, which is currently occupied by Israel, will be wrested from the latter’s control. Mind you, I have absolutely no problem with this - if governance of the land was given to Palestinians and former Israeli citizens simply then became Palestinian citizens, that’s a long term solution that I am completely in support of. Though in my opinion, it’s not workable until there is complete peace between the two nations, and thus I personally advocate for an immediate two state solution.

However, by the modern definition of Zionism I gave above, many Jews perceive the slogan as an attack on their mere existence. These Jews want nothing more than to live in peace with Palestinians and the surrounding region, yet also wish to maintain a reprieve from the persecution they’ve faced throughout history. If you ask me, Israel should never have been established in Palestine in the first place. But it was, and now the only option I see is for the two nations to coexist in the same space, whichever form that takes.

I don’t think anyone in this thread is asking for the destruction of Israel, not at all, and I will never ask others to moderate how they discuss the subject. But what I do want to point out, is that I think addressing the topic without the appropriate nuance only serves to polarize many people who are probably, in reality, on your side. Same with the whole voting discussion these last couple of pages. I’m never going to try and shame anyone into voting for Biden. But all that lamenting the futility of voting is going to do is polarize people who are, again, probably on your side.

I wouldn’t have bothered to write this all out if I didn’t see some very real fears manifesting in people I know. Some of them legitimately do not feel safe in certain situations in their day to day life anymore. Pertaining to myself, I am so jaded in regard to Israel and do not consider my nationality nor religion a defining part of my identity, that I couldn’t care less how people talk about the country. But I think that this has blinded me for a long time to some true harm that’s manifesting in the approach to this conflict. Again, I won’t judge anyone nor take issue with their tone, but I hope that this plea for nuance will be heard, because otherwise I feel that we will be tearing ourselves apart from the inside and end up sabotaging our own efforts.

damn dog that's wild i'd say in a world where there are mathematically only two options it'd be worth it to vote for the guy doing fewer drone strikes, even if all else was equally bad, to save those lives. shame we live in that world, i agree. i guess we could try burning down the government and instating socialism in the next four and a half months. any ideas? no? i figured.

honestly homie it sounds like you arent actually interested in doing everything within your limited power to reduce harm in this world. that's your prerogative of course, but is a little ridiculous to grandstand from the moral high ground youve built up in your own head and then accuse other people of being condescending.

How about not putting words in my mouth, for a start? I really do NOT appreciate the tone or response. Especially talking to me about harm reduction, especially as I continue to have my benefits, rights, and so on stripped away from me. All this happening under the Biden administration as they literally do nothing to help us down here, which there are THINGS they can do without having congress pass, ranging from using Title IX, executive orders, executive branch offices having control of certain things, including controlling drug and scheduling (which while there was improvements for Marijuana, the Biden administration has clamped down on how ADHD medicaiton can be prescribed, including putting road block for telehealkth), and so on, but they simply are not.

On that note, when we talk about marriage equality, we DO NOT HAVE IT still.

I have SSDI DAC, Disabled Adult Child Benefits. What does that mean? I still can't fucking marry my partner without losing my benefits. To add on this, the Biden administration could modify how much people on SSI/SSDI (etc.) could receive so it's liveable, and they do not.

In WHAT world is $900~ a month liveable? On top of that, I just recently got screwed over by some insurance snafu so I had to pay $655 out of pocket, due to how our administrations over the years, both democrat and republicans, have let private companies run rampant, ranging from the health care companies to the insurances, making our level of care bullcrap.

So please, kindly, be quiet and don't talk to me about harm reduction and how things are clearly going to be better under Biden.

I really do NOT appreciate the tone or response.

thats cool bro i dont appreciate you telling people not to vote when it'll make the world worse. we'll call it even. ;)

I have SSDI DAC, Disabled Adult Child Benefits. What does that mean? I still can't fucking marry my partner without losing my benefits.

damn that sucks man, i didnt realize you were the only person that mattered when it came to talking about harm reduction. sounds like youre particularly worried about reducing your own harm, but arent super interested in doin anything that might help other people far beyond your personal bubble. thats why you said you dont care that fewer people are getting bombed. you didnt address that btw and i didnt put any words in your mouth. i directly quoted what you said and responded to it. this shit doesnt work on me, man. you cant list your marginalizations to shame me into accepting your wrong conclusion.
So please, kindly, be quiet
nah lol

damn that sucks man, i didnt realize you were the only person that mattered when it came to talking about harm reduction. sounds like youre particularly worried about reducing your own harm, but arent super interested in doin anything that might help other people far beyond your personal bubble. thats why you said you dont care that fewer people are getting bombed. you didnt address that btw and i didnt put any words in your mouth. i directly quoted what you said and responded to it. this shit doesnt work on me, man. you cant list your marginalizations to shame me into accepting your wrong conclusion.
I largely agree with your political stance (there is no option on the ballot that will stop the genocide, so I'm holding my nose and voting for other reasons) and still have no idea what you hope to accomplish with this. It's not going to sway anyone, it's just being shitty to score points.

Honestly, my whole thing is just explaining from my view point why I feel voting doesn't matter and getting some grief for it. However, the hostility and attacks towards me due to my issues is beyond warranted. Like, this is the kind of behavior I've experienced with other liberals and seeing someone intentionally engage is hostility and talking down on me. Like, this is absolutely unacceptable. Especially with dealing with disabilities and poor income.

Like, if any single person is left behind because of a failure of our administrations, that is inexcuseable. What I'm saying affects beyond just me, as well as fellow other disabled queers out there. Further more, getting to the point where I asked kindly to stop this, you decide to instigate further.

Like, this isn't remotely okay. None of what is happening in this world is okay, and we cannot frame what I'm saying is "woe as me", when I'm talking and advocating for a lot of people who've been negatively impacted by the failures of our governments for decades.

Please do not attack me. If anything, this feels incredibly dismissive of the struggles of not just be, but other people in similar situations. On top of that, I'd almost say my issues being dismissed as specifically a disabled queer is inexcusable and should not be tolerated here on this forum.

I largely agree with your political stance (there is no option on the ballot that will stop the genocide, so I'm holding my nose and voting for other reasons) and still have no idea what you hope to accomplish with this. It's not going to sway anyone, it's just being shitty to score points.

thats just how the post reads to me. i dont expect to change this guy's mind with sugar, let alone salt, but its frustrating to read people claim that theres absolutely no difference between the two unbelievably awful options in front of us, when there certainly are differences no matter how marginal. and even marginal reductions of harm are worth it. its even more frustrating when you have these nerds dominating the discussion allude to a violent revolutionary dismantling of our systems as the 'only option' when met with 'well what do we do if not what little we can?'
Like, I'll be frank, our current systems need to be completely dismantled. I could go on about what the most effective method is, but I feel people wouldn't like to hear the answer to this

like seriously, this fantasy world shit is embarrassing. its like a religious thing to them, like a christian holding on until the rapture. im not gonna sit here and pretend like ive perused a ton of communist theory or anything but from what little i have read i know that even marx didnt think a revolution was possible if the time wasnt right. and boy howdy the times aint ripe right now. which isnt even getting into what happens if you were to attempt some kind of revolution in our current time. communism aint gonna rise from those ashes becuase you arent gonna win. f's in the chat and the f is for fascism baby.

so no, i dont really mind being a little aggro at people who are advocating for actions that make the world a worse place and then acting like theyre above the people whos positions are backed up by fucking math

On top of that, I'd almost say my issues being dismissed as specifically a disabled queer is inexcusable and should not be tolerated here on this forum.

i just wanna clarify that im not dismissing your issues. i think theyre pretty bad and you shouldnt have to deal with them.

you however did dismiss the issues of the people who were getting droned on. explicitly.

Doesn't matter at the reduction

just in case you forgot

Last edited:
I want to comment on a trend that I’ve seen in real life and a bit of on here, as well. Specifically in relation to the discussion of Zionism and fascism. This could fit in the Israel/Palestine thread too, but since it’s directly relevant to conversation that was happening in here a few days ago, I want to put it here.

But first, let me qualify this post as best as I possibly can, to minimize the chances of any misunderstandings.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

So hopefully that puts into context where I stand on things. But now I want to touch on the definition of Zionism.

I suppose that’s the problem though - there actually isn’t a single, universal definition. It originated as a movement for the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine specifically, believing Jews have a birthright to that land. This version is very much nationalistic, colonialist, supremacist garbage. However, this is simply NOT what Zionism means to a lot of people within the Jewish community today. After Israel's establishment, the term shifted to mean support for a Jewish state's right to exist. By that definition, I have friends who would proclaim themselves Zionists yet simultaneously hate Netanyahu and support a two state solution. And in my experience, that is by and large what Jewish people mean if they refer to themselves as Zionists.

That’s why I’m a little wary of blanket equating Zionism with fascism. And that’s putting aside the fact that terms like colonialism, nationalism and supremacism are much more accurate labels for the original movement. It would be wrong of me to police how people discuss such horrific events as this genocide, and I have zero desire to do so. However, this ambiguity has left several people I know legitimately distraught, feeling that they are being accused of heinous things when in reality their views are probably more similar to the accusers than not.

Similarly, there is the slogan “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” It’s ambiguous as to whether it’s asking for the complete dissolution of the state of Israel (since it’s referring to the country’s east and west borders) or conveying a general sentiment that Palestinians need to be given their independence. I’ve seen it interpreted both ways, from both supporters and detractors. As it’s written however, the phrase is literally saying that the entire land of Palestine, which is currently occupied by Israel, will be wrested from the latter’s control. Mind you, I have absolutely no problem with this - if governance of the land was given to Palestinians and former Israeli citizens simply then became Palestinian citizens, that’s a long term solution that I am completely in support of. Though in my opinion, it’s not workable until there is complete peace between the two nations, and thus I personally advocate for an immediate two state solution.

However, by the modern definition of Zionism I gave above, many Jews perceive the slogan as an attack on their mere existence. These Jews want nothing more than to live in peace with Palestinians and the surrounding region, yet also wish to maintain a reprieve from the persecution they’ve faced throughout history. If you ask me, Israel should never have been established in Palestine in the first place. But it was, and now the only option I see is for the two nations to coexist in the same space, whichever form that takes.

I don’t think anyone in this thread is asking for the destruction of Israel, not at all, and I will never ask others to moderate how they discuss the subject. But what I do want to point out, is that I think addressing the topic without the appropriate nuance only serves to polarize many people who are probably, in reality, on your side. Same with the whole voting discussion these last couple of pages. I’m never going to try and shame anyone into voting for Biden. But all that lamenting the futility of voting is going to do is polarize people who are, again, probably on your side.

I wouldn’t have bothered to write this all out if I didn’t see some very real fears manifesting in people I know. Some of them legitimately do not feel safe in certain situations in their day to day life anymore. Pertaining to myself, I am so jaded in regard to Israel and do not consider my nationality nor religion a defining part of my identity, that I couldn’t care less how people talk about the country. But I think that this has blinded me for a long time to some true harm that’s manifesting in the approach to this conflict. Again, I won’t judge anyone nor take issue with their tone, but I hope that this plea for nuance will be heard, because otherwise I feel that we will be tearing ourselves apart from the inside and end up sabotaging our own efforts.
I just want to jump in and address this because I am Jewish, but specifically a Jewish communist that is anti-Zionist with Israeli family. I am not necessarily disagreeing with most of your points but I want to put in some of my own context and viewpoints.

The simple truth of the matter is, from where I'm standing, large portions of the Jewish community have been captured by reactionary thought and refuse to seriously interrogate the realities of Zionism and Israel/Palestine. Our communities, our synagogues, our institutions have been tied to billion dollar campaigns that furthers colonialism and genocide. This is a very difficult thing for people to come to terms with, especially a group of people like us who have been taught the history of our oppression and are raised from birth to believe that Israel is our holy land. Palestinian liberation, however, should not be secondary to our community's comfort. "Zionism" does not exist in a meaningful context nowadays outside of how it is used to further Israel's actions. Liberal Zionism whitewashes Israel's image and gets people to tacitly approve these actions while looking away at the truth of what they are doing.

Palestinian liberation movements also should not prioritize the sensitivities of American Jews who live relatively comfortable lives separated from ongoing violence that you see in occupied territories. If American Jews are upset about "from the river to the sea," they should take a good hard look at why that is, and what life is like for people in occupied Palestine. If we are to be a group of people that celebrate freedom, equality, and justice, we must start with accepting that our communities have looked the other way on this occupation for decades now. But as is, the simple truth is we have been conditioned to accept this as the status quo. Most of the world supports Israel and sends them billions of dollars in aid. If the status quo is so fragile that a few slogans and words can tip the balance, then that certainly means something needs to change. I can say personally I have been at multiple protests and every time I am there, Palestinians come up to me and thank me for being there. Palestinians extend a ton of grace to Jews and are very delicate with us even though, frankly speaking, I would be somewhat sympathetic to them hating Jews more when the country that is killing them waves a flag with a Star Of David. The strength and bravery of the Palestinians is incalculable. They are not just numbers or bodies, they are living, breathing people with thoughts and friends and families and dreams and I think that gets forgotten a lot. They are the most important people to listen to on this topic, far more than us, that is sure.

We are seeing young Jews breaking away from being ardently pro-Israel. I personally have seen the rift in my family firsthand with younger Jews disagreeing very strongly with older Jews on this topic. That is good. But the issue is that the older, more religious, wealthier Jews are the ones that have the power in our communities and continue to push Zionist thought. And then the current President of the United States is aiding and abetting this genocide, which we all know. So I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people who are wishy washy on what is going on and act like "it's complicated" while crying foul at any pushback on this stance (I'm not saying that's you, but it's something I see a lot) when they have near-universal institutional support and are, in my opinion, being coddled. I'm not going to go into their house and trash their things unlike what the settlers did to Palestinians' homes but I am not going to treat them with kid gloves if they choose to discuss this with me. I've already had family members share harsh words with me on this stance that I won't repeat. I am not going to choose unity with my community if it means ignoring and accepting genocide.

I'm not an expert as to what a free Palestine looks like or what you do with the settlers - that isn't really up to me. However, I will support Palestinian liberation no matter what despite everything in my upbringing telling me otherwise. I hope that one day other Jews can come to the same conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom