• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic US Politics |ST| The Kyrsten Sinema-tic Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol it is. In all honesty, I don’t think either should be prevented if you’re a felon, unless it’s very serious stuff, like murder or rape or messing with classified documents
Biden is the Democratic nominee. Nobody is going to oppose the incumbent at this point. Trump is unlikely to go to jail, but even if he did he can still run.

Felons should be allowed to vote. We’ve made it too easy to take away people’s right to vote. And preventing felon from being president would encourage presidents to lock up their rivals so they couldn’t run.
Agreed with both of you, there should only be extreme cases where it is illegal imo, but some of those would surley include existing presidents. Voting is completely strange to forbid to anyone pretty much to me.

I don't even know how this works where I live 🤔

Felons should be allowed to vote. We’ve made it too easy to take away people’s right to vote. And preventing felon from being president would encourage presidents to lock up their rivals so they couldn’t run.

Yes, it's a problem in states such as Florida which is a battleground state, where few thousands of votes could mean a world of difference for candidates running. If I recall correctly, at least 775k are not eligible to vote in state of Florida because of their previous felony conviction.

Oh damn. That seems kind of backwards, honsetly
I am no fan of Trump, but the alternative would be far worse -- preventing felons for running for office would allow a corrupt president to imprison their political opponents on bullshit charges and run effectively unopposed.

Yes, it's a problem in states such as Florida which is a battleground state, where few thousands of votes could mean a world of difference for candidates running. If I recall correctly, at least 775k are not eligible to vote in state of Florida because of their previous felony conviction.
Aren’t there 22m people in Florida? Three quarters of a million having a conviction feels like a lot. Isn’t that like 3.5% or something?

Aren’t there 22m people in Florida? Three quarters of a million having a conviction feels like a lot. Isn’t that like 3.5% or something?
Yeah, I'm not sure of what kind of number/scale would be normal/typical, admittedly it's not a topic I looked into extensively.

I should clarify - the number isn't necessarily those who are currently incarcerated, it can include those who have already served their sentences.

The number of Florida residents who have had felony is supposedly higher, because 775k supposedly include those who served sentence but cannot pay back the resitution/fines/fees.

This is the article I'm basing the 775k off

(discourse: I'm a Florida resident. Clean record, and vote blue :) )

Yeah, I'm not sure of what kind of number/scale would be normal/typical, admittedly it's not a topic I looked into extensively.

I should clarify - the number isn't necessarily those who are currently incarcerated, it can include those who have already served their sentences.

The number of Florida residents who have had felony is supposedly higher, because 775k supposedly include those who served sentence but cannot pay back the resitution/fines/fees.

This is the article I'm basing the 775k off

(discourse: I'm a Florida resident. Clean record, and vote blue :) )
Ah fair enough. I’m no expert and have no idea what would be normal for a percentage rate including sentences served etc too

Agreed with both of you, there should only be extreme cases where it is illegal imo, but some of those would surley include existing presidents. Voting is completely strange to forbid to anyone pretty much to me.

I don't even know how this works where I live 🤔
It should but, well, our ancient ass constitution didn’t account for that

Yeah, voting should be as fundamental a right as any other. It’s funny how the folk who go on and on about gun rights have nothing to say for voting rights. Probably because they don’t really actually believe in or care for democracy

Well I hope it’s better than our situation

It should but, well, our ancient ass constitution didn’t account for that

Yeah, voting should be as fundamental a right as any other. It’s funny how the folk who go on and on about gun rights have nothing to say for voting rights. Probably because they don’t really actually believe in or care for democracy

Well I hope it’s better than our situation
Are gun rights very divisive in American public opinion?I've been observing and it seems that the thread alone has quite a few different attitudes towards traditional gun rights?

Are gun rights very divisive in American public opinion?I've been observing and it seems that the thread alone has quite a few different attitudes towards traditional gun rights?
To an extent. I’d say you’re hardcore gun folk don’t want any type of red flag laws or anything of the sort done to minimize gun violence, often times just solely blaming mental health or cities, but everyone else at least want the basics so something can be done about it. Of course, folk will have different views on it but common sense stuff to address it is constantly blocked by a mixture of lobbying and folk who see guns as a religion

Well they didn't used to but in my experience they're beginning to. And sadly what they have to say is that they're very very bad and should be severely restricted if not practically removed. I've heard multiple conversations both around town and from people I personally know who use the argument that "democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner," and that "America was never meant to be a democracy, it was meant to be a republic." SO yeah, the same types of people who freak out about MAH GUNSS are now also saying that voting is a form of tyranny and should be abolished, leaving only a select, qualified few (usually revolving around church or landowning status) to be able to select our representatives and the representatives alone should then make all the decisions.

I dunno exactly when that shit started getting big but I really started hearing it when some Republican-led states began putting abortion on the ballot and people kept voting for its legalization. Almost immediately I began hearing pundits and people alike saying things like "this is why you can't let people vote, because people will make the wrong decisions" and "this is why we need strong leaders making our decisions instead of people."

Fuckin scary to me.

Very yes. There's the "you can take them from my cold, dead hands" types and the "private ownership of any firearm should be illegal and all firearms should be confiscated and destroyed" types, and everything in between. Personally I know quite a few of the first type (they are very loud and proud about it) and I also know people who believe having something small like a handgun for personal protection is morally okay as long as ownership is registered and regulated and tests and background checks are required (which is basically California state law right now). I don't know anyone in person who is 100% completely anti-gun but I know they're out there because of what I see people saying online.

The big fight right now is focusing on assault rifles and that's already contentious enough without the country getting into the conversation of gun rights overall. Both sides seem to have a hard time engaging each other on the subject because it's become so heavily politicized and because the pro-gun people tend to make those rifles so much a part of their culture and personality that if you even suggest something as simple as universal background checks or red flag laws (or things that have already been done like magazine size limits) they'll insist you're trying to take away their way of life, or are trying to disarm them as the first step to a hostile dictatorship takeover.

I've even been in a position where my dad and I were at an automotive shop just looking for metal fabrication services and the owner was showing off all his rifles to us while literally shouting about California trying to take away his god-given rights to have those weapons. Another time I showed up to a bbq party and the host was standing in the middle of the room holding his assault rifle like it was a fashion statement. It's a big, deep line drawn in the sand in America. I honestly don't ever even talk about this shit except for here on Fami and with a couple select friends from outside of America because I'm afraid of how people react. It's bad stuff.

Well they didn't used to but in my experience they're beginning to. And sadly what they have to say is that they're very very bad and should be severely restricted if not practically removed. I've heard multiple conversations both around town and from people I personally know who use the argument that "democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner," and that "America was never meant to be a democracy, it was meant to be a republic." SO yeah, the same types of people who freak out about MAH GUNSS are now also saying that voting is a form of tyranny and should be abolished, leaving only a select, qualified few (usually revolving around church or landowning status) to be able to select our representatives and the representatives alone should then make all the decisions.

I dunno exactly when that shit started getting big but I really started hearing it when some Republican-led states began putting abortion on the ballot and people kept voting for its legalization. Almost immediately I began hearing pundits and people alike saying things like "this is why you can't let people vote, because people will make the wrong decisions" and "this is why we need strong leaders making our decisions instead of people."

Fuckin scary to me.

Very yes. There's the "you can take them from my cold, dead hands" types and the "private ownership of any firearm should be illegal and all firearms should be confiscated and destroyed" types, and everything in between. Personally I know quite a few of the first type (they are very loud and proud about it) and I also know people who believe having something small like a handgun for personal protection is morally okay as long as ownership is registered and regulated and tests and background checks are required (which is basically California state law right now). I don't know anyone in person who is 100% completely anti-gun but I know they're out there because of what I see people saying online.

The big fight right now is focusing on assault rifles and that's already contentious enough without the country getting into the conversation of gun rights overall. Both sides seem to have a hard time engaging each other on the subject because it's become so heavily politicized and because the pro-gun people tend to make those rifles so much a part of their culture and personality that if you even suggest something as simple as universal background checks or red flag laws (or things that have already been done like magazine size limits) they'll insist you're trying to take away their way of life, or are trying to disarm them as the first step to a hostile dictatorship takeover.

I've even been in a position where my dad and I were at an automotive shop just looking for metal fabrication services and the owner was showing off all his rifles to us while literally shouting about California trying to take away his god-given rights to have those weapons. Another time I showed up to a bbq party and the host was standing in the middle of the room holding his assault rifle like it was a fashion statement. It's a big, deep line drawn in the sand in America. I honestly don't ever even talk about this shit except for here on Fami and with a couple select friends from outside of America because I'm afraid of how people react. It's bad stuff.
Thanks for such a nuanced note, I've recently been reading a book called Radicalism of the American Revolution, which deals with how modern American democratic politics and individual rights have realistically transformed and taken shape through countless conflicts from the republican ideals of the founding.It seems valuable to use the book's research methods to study American representative government and gun rights.

Fuckin scary to me.
The rhetoric was always there with the whole “We’re republic, not democracy tho” but it’s been ramping up more and more as they have drifted further and further into fascism and realize that they don’t have the votes to maintain their majorities. It’s definitely terrifying because we all know where fascism leads to and it’s never good for folk in the outside groups or even in the inside group, unless they’re rich or well connected. It’s why I don’t think I can ignore any election from here on out

The rhetoric was always there with the whole “We’re republic, not democracy tho” but it’s been ramping up more and more as they have drifted further and further into fascism and realize that they don’t have the votes to maintain their majorities. It’s definitely terrifying because we all know where fascism leads to and it’s never good for folk in the outside groups or even in the inside group, unless they’re rich or well connected. It’s why I don’t think I can ignore any election from here on out
excuse me because neither me or any of my ancestors ever lived in a democracy what is the different between a republic and a democracy
and can a true republic not be a democracy

excuse me because neither me or any of my ancestors ever lived in a democracy what is the different between a republic and a democracy
???

A republic just means you have elected representatives and we have ours elected by citizens voting for them, hence-why it’s both a democracy and a republic

A pure “democracy” would mean if you get the most votes, you win. But the US is not set up like that. We have states which all have equal power in the senate no matter their size (2 senate seats per state) and the house which disproportionally favors smaller states (that’s a bit more complicated to explain. There is a minimum amount of representatives each state has and a total number of representatives in the House, so no matter how big your state’s population gets, you aren’t getting more House seats). Basically, we vote for representatives in the government, but my vote in New York is weighed differently than somebody voting in Kentucky because the House and Senate members from Kentucky represent far fewer people per representative.

Then you get into the presidential elections and the electoral college and it’s more or less the same issue but manifested a little differently.

A pure “democracy” would mean if you get the most votes, you win. But the US is not set up like that. We have states which all have equal power in the senate no matter their size (2 senate seats per state) and the house which disproportionally favors smaller states (that’s a bit more complicated to explain. There is a minimum amount of representatives each state has and a total number of representatives in the House, so no matter how big your state’s population gets, you aren’t getting more House seats). Basically, we vote for representatives in the government, but my vote in New York is weighed differently than somebody voting in Kentucky because the House and Senate members from Kentucky represent far fewer people per representative.

Then you get into the presidential elections and the electoral college and it’s more or less the same issue but manifested a little different.
how this system come to be ? what kind of benefit the american founding fathers saw in this system that made them chose it over the normal every one has one vote system?

how this system come to be ? what kind of benefit the american founding fathers saw in this system that made them chose it over the normal every one has one vote system?
I think the idea was foreseeing rapid growth of coastal/built-up areas compared to farmers in remote areas, and the agreement of being ‘united states’ was to avoid rural/remote states effectively becoming irrelevant and voiceless once the heavily populated areas ended up with 10x the population. Or even 65x now, given the population of California vs Wyoming. The problem is that it’s swung the other way now, in that the vote of someone in the latter is now worth 65 times a vote cast in the former as both have the same representation in the senate, so you end up with a tiny amount of people having a proportionately vastly bigger say (or representation) in important decisions, as each of their senators represents millions fewer people. Swing it the other way with true proportionate representation via population and you end up with the coastal areas having a far, far bigger say in things with far more representatives than smaller states. Something quite hard to agree on when arranging an alliance hundreds of years ago.

Edit- I’m not American, apologies if I’m missing something

Last edited:
I think the idea was foreseeing rapid growth of coastal/built-up areas compared to farmers in remote areas, and the agreement of being ‘united states’ was to avoid rural/remote states effectively becoming irrelevant and voiceless once the heavily populated areas ended up with 10x the population. Or even 65x now, given the population of California vs Wyoming. The problem is that it’s swung the other way now, in that the vote of someone in the latter is now worth 65 times a vote cast in the former as both have the same representation in the senate, so you end up with a tiny amount of people having a proportionately vastly bigger say (or representation) in important decisions, as each of their senators represents millions fewer people. Swing it the other way with true proportionate representation via population and you end up with the coastal areas having a far, far bigger say in things with far more representatives than smaller states. Something quite hard to agree on when arranging an alliance hundreds of years ago.

Edit- I’m not American, apologies if I’m missing something
This is what people (especially politicians in lower-populated states) say it's for, which sounds like a somewhat noble effort when it's put that way, but sadly a big factor as to why they did it was (as is often the case in America) racism.

TL;DR: the electoral college gave disproportionate voting power to rural, slave-owning states so they wouldn't be overpowered by the votes of the more populous, progressive (relatively for the time) states.

This is what people (especially politicians in lower-populated states) say it's for, which sounds like a somewhat noble effort when it's put that way, but sadly a big factor as to why they did it was (as is often the case in America) racism.

TL;DR: the electoral college gave disproportionate voting power to rural, slave-owning states so they wouldn't be overpowered by the votes of the more populous, progressive (relatively for the time) states.
Was going to reply similarly. Basically, if you ever ask yourself “why did America do that?” 9 out of 10 times it’s rooted in racism.

so why they did not change that after the civil war

so why they did not change that after the civil war
Westward expansion had created a lot of rural, nonslave states following the war and it’s hard to remove the power systems when you need the votes of the people who benefit from it to vote against it. Aside from that, even from the Union perspective the war was never about addressing racism or systemic reform, emancipation was only adopted as a goal once the war had already began, in part to further the perceived moral divide between the Union and Confederacy for diplomatic reasons, in part because Lincoln and his allies were legitimately abolitionists who wanted to end slavery eventually anyway, and in part to encourage slave revolts in Confederate territory.

Basically, the first form of US government, the Articles of Confederation which had a weak dlfederal government and strong state governments, failed so they needed something new, but in order to get the rural slavery dominated southern states to give up their power, there needed to be compromise.

A lot of the issues the US has had since are because of those compromises and compromises made with racists since.

Geez, that’s awful, I had no idea beyond the superficial, thanks for the link ❤️

Goes to show how people aren’t immune to regurgitating a generous read on things, least of all me. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Sometimes as an immigrant, I feel like maybe I should express more anger at Biden for the recent executive order that limits asylum, but then I remember this is genocide Joe. I can't possibly be more disappointed/disaffected/repulsed by an openly admitted fascist (he proudly says he's a zionist) who is playing a vital role in a modern genocide

Genocide Joe continues to slam the Overton Window to the right, giving cover to racist liberals to say all the awful fascist shit they thought they had to hide. Like if you read the old forum on this executive order, it's basically a poorly-disguised Stormfront at this point.

For my sanity, I don’t read a ton of news anymore. However, I saw this story about Biden signing an executive order to close the border during migrant surges earlier. I cannot for the life of me figure out who this was for. The right complains either way; the left hates this dumb shit.

Additionally, I also read that 38 GOP Senators voted against protecting contraception, arguing that no one is actually interested in banning them. Right. First, if that’s the case, voting to protect conception should be an easy yes. Second, we’ve seen this movie before. Y’all also said Roe v. Wade was settled precedent. Fuck all the way off.

I voted for Biden in 2020 and will vote for him again in 2024, but it didn’t and doesn’t feel good. It’s just that the only alternative is so egregiously, aggressively, and depressingly worse in every way.

Every election where Trump is a candidate is no less than a vote pro or contra the concept of humanity. If your main motivation is to stick it to '''''Genocide Joe''''', I'm convinced that you do not care one ounce for the future of the disenfranchised anywhere on the planet.

I’d say any vote where we need to deal any modern Republican (so any of them from the past half-century or so) as a candidate is going to make voting against them a necessity. Like I can’t say I’ve been a fan of any of the presidents I’ve lived through but harm reduction is the least I’m going to do

It’s interesting to see that Biden’s strategy really seems to be “the polls are wrong, we’ll be fine.” Granted it’s still early but more and more polls are showing Trump even or winning in states Biden needs to win (even after the New York stuff) and Biden hasn’t made any attempt to change course. November isn’t that far away.

Maybe they’re right but I don’t know if the anti-abortion vote will help him like it helps state elections since the federal government seems to be unable to protect abortion anyway.

Every election where Trump is a candidate is no less than a vote pro or contra the concept of humanity. If your main motivation is to stick it to '''''Genocide Joe''''', I'm convinced that you do not care one ounce for the future of the disenfranchised anywhere on the planet.
Do the Palestinians currently being bombed by weapons supplied by the United States not get this designation of humanity?

Do the Palestinians currently being bombed by weapons supplied by the United States not get this designation of humanity?
It is beyond insane that people refuse to recognize that it can get so, so much worse in Palestine if Trump is president again.
Literally, the whole credo 'Doesn't matter if the slightly less bad side wins, things can't get worse' that brought us the Third Reich, Brexit and the first Trump presidency, is the Achilles heel of representative democracy. So many people effectively live by it, yet it's the dumbest attitude ever. It's so absurdly idiotic that on a larger time scale, it will eradicate the human species via climate change and similar things that we collectively f'ed up.

Okay, so what is Joe doing for me, as a disabled person? He's made it harder to get ADHD medications and similar psychiatric medication (he 100% controls this), had a bipartisian budget bill that removed remote services from Medicare, refuses to increase SSI and SSDI payments to liveable level (is 900~ dollars a month liveable? You tell me), and this is not counting all the other stuff the democrats just silently gave up on or caved immediately (including most famously the ACP).

This is not counting the disparaging wealth inequality and the fact Queer rights are on the chopping block and mostly crickets.

I'm not voting for someone who has actively made my life and others for that matter, worse.

Unless you’re going to explain how Trump will make lives for Palestinians even one iota better, this is a bullshit attempt at a gotcha.

The fact of the matter is Biden is making things worse and in some cases, his policies are more to the right than Trump. This isn't to say Trump is good, he's horrible, but under Biden, things have gotten worse. It's really just a different flavor of fascism. One's blue. One's red. There is no good party and framing that voting for Biden does any of us good, is just the worst thing ever.

I'm disabled and queer and Biden has done nothing but harmed me in both fronts, and this isn't counting the other things Biden actively has harmed people on.

Let's also not forget this famous thing Biden said to Latino activists, telling them when they asked him to stop deportations, to vote for trump:

During a campaign event in Greenwood, South Carolina Thursday night, former Vice President Joe Biden told a protestor who confronted him over the Obama administration's mass deportation policies to "vote for Trump," prompting outrage from immigrant rights groups and activists.

"You should vote for Trump," Biden repeated as Carlos Rojas, an organizer with Movimiento Cosecha, urged the former Vice President to depart from the destructive record of the Obama White House and support a moratorium on deportations.

Biden, a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate, refused to agree to the demand, insisting that he will "prioritize deportations only of people who have committed a felony or a serious crime."

This is not a man you should vote for. No one should. He harms every group in the US an actively participates in harming other groups outside of the US (more specifically, Palestinians).

Last edited:
It is beyond insane that people refuse to recognize that it can get so, so much worse in Palestine if Trump is president again.
Literally, the whole credo 'Doesn't matter if the slightly less bad side wins, things can't get worse' that brought us the Third Reich, Brexit and the first Trump presidency, is the Achilles heel of representative democracy. So many people effectively live by it, yet it's the dumbest attitude ever. It's so absurdly idiotic that on a larger time scale, it will eradicate the human species via climate change and similar things that we collectively f'ed up.
Unless you’re going to explain how Trump will make lives for Palestinians even one iota better, this is a bullshit attempt at a gotcha.
Again, it's very difficult to actually imagine how Trump will make the situation worse in a meaningful way:
It's nearly impossible to imagine a worse situation for Gaza than the one Biden is currently enabling.

It doesn't matter what scary What If you conjure up when you're talking about Trump when we're looking at a total, utter, unprecedented collapse within Gaza right now. Biden actively wants this and saying he's just being led by the nose by Bibi is utterly foolish. Biden is a staunch Zionist and has been his entire political career. He's still sending billions to Israel:

People like Biden who have worked in American politics for decades are part of the reason we are in this crisis.
Personally, I'm not even saying "don't vote for Biden." I think people should vote for however helps them sleep at night. But if your attempt to dissuade those unhappy with Biden is hypotheticals about how Trump is worse, it's a losing argument.

There is no good party and framing that voting for Biden does any of us good, is just the worst thing ever.
I'm sorry that you see it this way, cannot pretend to understand your situation and remain unconvinced that your choice benefits you. But it is your choice.

I'm sorry that you see it this way, cannot pretend to understand your situation and remain unconvinced that your choice benefits you. But it is your choice.

I literally laid down why voting for Biden is not a net positive for me in any ways. If you cannot understand what minorities are going through in this country at this moment, that's on you, not me.

I literally laid down why voting for Biden is not a net positive for me in any ways. If you cannot understand what minorities are going through in this country at this moment, that's on you, not me.
Plenty of minorities in this country and not all of us see eye to eye nor does any one minority speak for all. For many people and I, as a minority, Trump getting in is a net negative as that'll more or less mean fascism taking hold. You're talking about having disabilities, well I'm pretty sure they wanna do away with any protections or healthcare coverage for that alongside whatever abortion or workers rights are left among the various states. Not even getting into defunding schools, reversing green energy initiatives, deporting protesters here on visas, etc. Project 2025 is enough of a reason for me to vote against Trump. Keyword being against. I haven't really ever voted for a presidential candidate

Last edited:
Plenty of minorities in this country and not all of us see eye to eye. For most folk and I, as a minority, Trump getting in is a net negative as that'll more or less mean fascism taking hold. You're talking about disabilities, well I'm pretty sure they wanna do away with any protections or healthcare coverage for that alongside whatever abortion or workers rights are left among the various states. Project 2025 is enough of a reason for me to vote against Trump. Keyword being against. I haven't really ever voted for a presidential candidate

I'm going to tell you something: Fascism is already here in this country, and it's waving a blue flag instead of red one. If you cannot see that and think that voting will simply get rid of the fascism, I have some news for you: It's already here and voting won't get us out of this.

"If you don't vote for Joe Biden because he is committing genocide then you don't care about the disenfranchised" is pretty fucked up rhetoric.

Like if you will vote for him as the "lesser of two evils", that is your personal choice, but don't insist others support someone they find evil

I'm going to tell you something: Fascism is already here in this country, and it's waving a blue flag instead of red one. If you cannot see that and think that voting will simply get rid of the fascism, I have some news for you: It's already here and voting won't get us out of this.
You might wanna learn what fascism is if you genuinely believe that both parties are fascist parties. It's not just being bad. By that logic, they've both been fascist since forever

I don't believe voting alone will get us out of it but it would at least minimize and hold it off

You might wanna learn what fascism is if you genuinely believe that both parties are fascist parties. It's not just being bad. By that logic, they've both been fascist since forever

I don't believe voting alone will get us out of it but it would at least minimize and hold it off
Historically, liberal movements and parties trend rightward as material conditions contract and worsen, many of them outright supporting fascist causes. This is because both liberalism and fascism act in the interests of protecting capital, but both are reflection of different stages of prosperity and social disarray within liberal capitalist societies. Joe Biden has worked in politics for 50 years and even by his own party's standards has been on the right wing side of things. He's a self-declared proud Zionist (a movement that would probably be recognized as fascist if not for decades of propaganda and whitewashing) and his administration has been showing unprecedented support for arming Israel. He even undermined Israeli peace discussions as Obama's VP.

So, if you ask me, I consider the question of "is Biden a fascist" to be mostly an academic one. The question is more about what results and actions are happening under his administration.

Again, it's very difficult to actually imagine how Trump will make the situation worse in a meaningful way:

Personally, I'm not even saying "don't vote for Biden." I think people should vote for however helps them sleep at night. But if your attempt to dissuade those unhappy with Biden is hypotheticals about how Trump is worse, it's a losing argument.
I asked how Trump would make things better. You responded that you can’t imagine how he’d make them worse. Not only isn’t that an answer to my question, it just shows a failure of imagination. There are a lot of ways for things to get worse. You’re talking about a guy who just this week was throwing out the word Palestinian as an insult to describe Chuck Schumer. I don’t get the sense he’s going to even bother pretending to talk about peace.
Most of the examples you laid out are a result of a split Congress and democrats having to compromise with republicans. You can’t say “and then this bipartisan bill cut spending that helped me!” without explaining how that’s the fault of democrats. Holding out for some bill that literally will never pass is not only not a solution, it will cause harm to everyone as we’d likely face yet another government shutdown and there wouldn’t be funding for anything. Congress is unquestionably broken. But we don’t fix it by ignoring it or by voting for the people running on breaking it further and who don’t even believe it should ever work.

If you think this is what fascism looks like, you’re in for a rude awakening.

It’s not much but I think there is a good chance that the US’s relationship with Israel will receive more criticism from the media overall if Trump is the one in charge, like we see/saw with immigration and border policies. Maybe TikTok will become an important instrument of free press again.

If you think this is what fascism looks like, you’re in for a rude awakening.

Okay, so if we're going to play this game, what was one of the first things the Biden administration did at the borders? They're still encaging kids and family and living conditions are horrible. The biden administration has pushed for further funding for police that have actively harmed all of our communities. He has also progressed further harm to Palestinians, by enabling Israel, actively sending money to them, making anything anti-Israel considered anti-seminitism, and providing weapons while "supposedly" negotiating to stop this, when their actions say otherwise, all the while people suffer with further defunding of our public services.

Plus with the Biden administration putting out an executive order making alyssum effectively impossible, doesn't read anti-fascism.

You tell me.

Anyway, I'm done. Do not talk down to me as someone who is impacted by shit and watching my friends and family be affected by this stuff. Really tired about all the circle jerking around the Biden administration in this thread. He does not owe our vote and there's not amount of convincing you can do to me to vote for him or his damn party.

Historically, liberal movements and parties trend rightward as material conditions contract and worsen, many of them outright supporting fascist causes. This is because both liberalism and fascism act in the interests of protecting capital, but both are reflection of different stages of prosperity and social disarray within liberal capitalist societies. Joe Biden has worked in politics for 50 years and even by his own party's standards has been on the right wing side of things. He's a self-declared proud Zionist (a movement that would probably be recognized as fascist if not for decades of propaganda and whitewashing) and his administration has been showing unprecedented support for arming Israel. He even undermined Israeli peace discussions as Obama's VP.

So, if you ask me, I consider the question of "is Biden a fascist" to be mostly an academic one. The question is more about what results and actions are happening under his administration.
Oh that I agree. A lot of liberal folk tend to tend right ward as they get older, either because of them gaining more wealth and wanting to avoid paying taxes to their mindset regarding social issues not moving forward as more issues are being understood and they feel that the ones they supported were the end all be all of it. If you add in being rightfully criticized for not trying to understand more modern concerns, you get folk like JK Rowling

Liberalism, despite how many Americans see it, is essentially a right wing position, albeit closer to the center, than outright conservatism, let alone fascism

Oh he's definitely working alongside a fascist government in regards to Israel but that's something I find to be a standard US policy throughout its history. They've always preferred to work with amenable foreign far right government over a more left wing foreign government that'll actually be willing to push back on their heinous foreign policies and work on doing right by their nation. But you're not wrong to point that he's even more of a hard-core Zionist than many Democrats or on the more right wing end of it. That being said, the way I see it, fascism also includes things like doing away with democracy, disdain for intellectuals, trying to turn things back to when they believe things were great, etc. That is unique to the Republican party at this point. Democrats suck but they're not that. Even the past Republican administrations weren't quite all that till the past few decades

I asked how Trump would make things better. You responded that you can’t imagine how he’d make them worse. Not only isn’t that an answer to my question, it just shows a failure of imagination. There are a lot of ways for things to get worse. You’re talking about a guy who just this week was throwing out the word Palestinian as an insult to describe Chuck Schumer. I don’t get the sense he’s going to even bother pretending to talk about peace.
I'm sorry but Palestinians are dying NOW. They're being bombed and starved NOW. They are being genocided NOW. All this talk about "Trump will be worse" is meaningless because Israel's extermination of the Palestinian people is happening this very instant and under Biden's administration.

And also, it's a very callous thing to say "the other will be worse" when we're talking about fucking genocide. It's telling that you're trying to do the "he'll be worse" angle as if the genocide of Palestinians is the baseline and we cannot be better than that. If both of our parties openly support the extermination of a populace, the answer isn't "vote for the one that does the smaller genocide", it should be "the system is so thoroughly corrupt it needs to completely dismantled until it no longer supports a genocide."

It’s not much but I think there is a good chance that the US’s relationship with Israel will receive more criticism from the media overall if Trump is the one in charge, like we see/saw with immigration and border policies. Maybe TikTok will become an important instrument of free press again.
That's something I've been pondering, though I'm pessimistic that this scenario would happen. I don't think the media writ large is particularly motivated by pure partisanship, and I suspect that the Democrats would try to flank the Republicans from the right and accuse them of being insufficiently bloodthirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom