• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Triangle Strategy |ST| Romance of the Three Angles [NSW|PC]

Choose your conviction!

• Utility

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Liberty

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • One does not simply choose a conviction.

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
got the game and starting it up right now! very excited

just wanna ask for a personal thing, is the auto-save frequent or does it let you manual save often? or at least suspend?

i'm good with longer games but my sessions only last about 30-40 minutes or so usually, so i prefer games where you can go in and out without issue. i've heard the dialogue scenes are quite long, would that cause a problem in this case?
It auto-saves after every scene, allows you to manual save anytime and there's also quick save. You can also save during battles anytime.

I have a question about endings that I hope someone can answer for me without massive spoilers, if that makes sense.
I hear there's multiple endings - does every choice you make throughout the entire game impact said ending you recieve, or is one choice made (like in the last chapter or something) and that is the only one that matters ending wise?
From what I have gathered, there is at least one ending that hinges on a bunch of decisions made throughout the game. But I think most of them depend on a particular choice that is made towards the end.

I'm on chapter 10 part 1 and no matter how hard I try, I can't convince my party to vote for my preferred option. I have new evidence and am changing my dialogue choices, but the vote plays out the same way regardless of me doing things differently.

Not gonna lie - I find that pretty infuriating.

Edit - I'm assuming I need to grind and improve my convictions, but it frustrates me that such an opaque system controls a major decision to the point that it over-rides evidence I've found and different choices I'm making in the dialogue scenes.

I'm on chapter 10 part 1 and no matter how hard I try, I can't convince my party to vote for my preferred option. I have new evidence and am changing my dialogue choices, but the vote plays out the same way regardless of me doing things differently.

Not gonna lie - I find that pretty infuriating.

Edit - I'm assuming I need to grind and improve my convictions, but it frustrates me that such an opaque system controls a major decision to the point that it over-rides evidence I've found and different choices I'm making in the dialogue scenes.

You must be trying to choose a path whose conviction you haven't really espoused much on your run. I purposefully put ~500+ points into each conviction (enough to get most of the recruits) before focusing on my preferred one(s), and I haven't had any difficulty persuading.

Might be understandably frustrating, but I think it makes some sense that if, say, a Morality-focused Serenoa started randomly advocating a Utilitarian approach, people would find him less than convincing.

You must be trying to choose a path whose conviction you haven't really espoused much on your run. I purposefully put ~500+ points into each conviction (enough to get most of the recruits) before focusing on my preferred one(s), and I haven't had any difficulty persuading.
Right - but this is where the frustration lies. When dialogue choices come up, you can choose where to allocate the points. But how does the conviction strengthened in battles play into that? How do I know how many points I'm putting in with each choice? There's nothing transparent about that for me to gauge what to do here.

For example, I've just upgraded some units and weapons and done a mental mock battle and got a bunch of conviction from doing those activities. But I've no idea how to measure that and it has had zero material effect on my ability to persuade my party. Presumably that means the dialogue choices earlier in the game are a problem. Maybe I can surmount that by grinding, but that's hardly that attractive an option.

I get that this is structured to encourage repeat play, but I'm not sure I'll have the time for that and so I'd much rather push to get my desired outcome here.

Right - but this is where the frustration lies. When dialogue choices come up, you can choose where to allocate the points. But how does the conviction strengthened in battles play into that? How do I know how many points I'm putting in with each choice? There's nothing transparent about that for me to gauge what to do here.

For example, I've just upgraded some units and weapons and done a mental mock battle and got a bunch of conviction from doing those activities. But I've no idea how to measure that and it has had zero material effect on my ability to persuade my party. Presumably that means the dialogue choices earlier in the game are a problem. Maybe I can surmount that by grinding, but that's hardly that attractive an option.

I get that this is structured to encourage repeat play, but I'm not sure I'll have the time for that and so I'd much rather push to get my desired outcome here.

Yeah, I get the frustration. But I think their approach is probably the best one overall.

The first run is for RPing rather than trying to min/max convictions like one might do when they see values attached. Running afoul of the system and being unable to persuade people seems... intended, otherwise there just wouldn't be a voting mechanic at all and the player would decide every course as Serenoa.

Having seen most of the values attached to various things, the main thing you'll want to focus on to adjust your conviction values is just choosing their dialogue options. That'll quickly give you a lot of said conviction, while other menial stuff is a very miniscule boost.

Restarting from the beginning of the chapter and choosing every option aligned with whatever conviction you're wanting to go for that route might well be enough to push your persuasion over the edge. But honestly, if that doesn't work, rather than grinding out dozens of mock battles, I'd just roll with it. That's what NG+ is for, could always breeze through on Very Easy or something if you're pressed for time but want to see other routes.

Yeah, I get the frustration. But I think their approach is probably the best one overall.

The first run is for RPing rather than trying to min/max convictions like one might do when they see values attached. Running afoul of the system and being unable to persuade people seems... intended, otherwise there just wouldn't be a voting mechanic at all and the player would decide every course as Serenoa.

Having seen most of the values attached to various things, the main thing you'll want to focus on to adjust your conviction values is just choosing their dialogue options. That'll quickly give you a lot of said conviction, while other menial stuff is a very miniscule boost.

Restarting from the beginning of the chapter and choosing every option aligned with whatever conviction you're wanting to go for that route might well be enough to push your persuasion over the edge. But honestly, if that doesn't work, rather than grinding out dozens of mock battles, I'd just roll with it. That's what NG+ is for, could always breeze through on Very Easy or something if you're pressed for time but want to see other routes.
I think you're right in that I should accept this particular choice and move on with the game - it's not worth grinding over and I get that this is an intended consequence of the game's design. Partially it's frustrating because of how invested I am in the story - I know the decision I want to make is right, dammit!

That being said, I feel like players should have the option to have the transparency NG+ offers from the start. It should be very clear that it's not the developer's recommended method of playing, and it shouldn't be enabled by default; but going through the game with a clearer knowledge of its workings is a better option for players like myself who will struggle to manage 2 playthroughs, let alone 3 or 4. I suppose the danger here is that many players would choose the transparency options and thus not experience things as intended.

That is amazing and surpising. From the low frequency of online discourse it seemed like the game had gotten little attention, even if the few conversations that do happen are very high on it.

I wonder what Paul's source is. I've seen his name pop up here and there but I have no idea how "tuned in" he is when it comes to these things.

So the choice my party made against my judgement is having some bad consequences and resulting in what seems to be a shitty decision to make in chapter 11. I'd hope I'm able to make the 'good' decision and follow through on it as I want, but I'm guessing I'll keep getting railroaded into the more compromising decisions.

I suspect I was on the "golden route", but haven't quite managed the right things, and my party rejecting my choice in chapter 10 is pushing me down a bad road. I'd be lying if I said that didn't affect my enjoyment of the game and I wish you had the option for the NG+ transparency from the off.

I'm used to dark fantasy (George Martin, Robin Hobb, Brandon Sanderson), but I find it less enjoyable when the game offers you partial agency and then railroads you. I understand completely what the intent is, but God knows if I'll find the 100 to 150 hours required to play through the different narrative branches.

So the choice my party made against my judgement is having some bad consequences and resulting in what seems to be a shitty decision to make in chapter 11. I'd hope I'm able to make the 'good' decision and follow through on it as I want, but I'm guessing I'll keep getting railroaded into the more compromising decisions.

I suspect I was on the "golden route", but haven't quite managed the right things, and my party rejecting my choice in chapter 10 is pushing me down a bad road. I'd be lying if I said that didn't affect my enjoyment of the game and I wish you had the option for the NG+ transparency from the off.

I'm used to dark fantasy (George Martin, Robin Hobb, Brandon Sanderson), but I find it less enjoyable when the game offers you partial agency and then railroads you. I understand completely what the intent is, but God knows if I'll find the 100 to 150 hours required to play through the different narrative branches.
As far as I know there is no such mechanic and you should be able to get the golden route on your first playthrough. There shouldn't be any railroading, except your lack of conviction/choice of dialogue options to convince the others.
If there is such a railroad mechanic, I'm not aware of it.

As far as I know there is no such mechanic and you should be able to get the golden route on your first playthrough. There shouldn't be any railroading, except your lack of conviction/choice of dialogue options to convince the others.
If there is such a railroad mechanic, I'm not aware of it.
My phrasing isn't clear - basically yes it is because I don't have enough conviction to make that particular choice in that chapter.

What I should say is that it feels as if I'm being railroaded because I don't have enough of an insight into the game's mechanics and conviction points to see what's required at that point in time; without enough conviction, I can't exercise agency and choose the path I think is correct. That's the game functioning as intended, sure, but personally I wish you had the option to enable NG+ options from the start so I could see more clearly how the conviction system works as I'm playing to guide my choices in each chapter.

Not sure if I can ever go with the other option in Chapter 11, even if it were just to see how it changes the plot. Easiest decision I have made all game, and luckily it ended 6-1 in my favour (I am keeping an eye on you, Anna).

Between bosses with 500hp, missed attacks, and enemy reinforcements arriving at the eleventh hour, I'm beginning to lose a little of my fondness for the game.

Between bosses with 500hp

Generally, try to think of ways to deal percentage-based damage to them. If they're not immune to Poison, use that. Put fire on the ground underneath them with Frederica if there's suitable terrain (or use oil). Use Jens' knockback traps to cause falling damage. Use Rudolph's traps to damage and prevent their turns, and/or the quietus that stops an enemy for a turn.

Playing on Hard, I was having difficulty with Booker until I spammed blind on him, lit a fire under his ass, and stopped him with the quietus. Then he was helpless as he died a quick and painful death.

Generally, try to think of ways to deal percentage-based damage to them. If they're not immune to Poison, use that. Put fire on the ground underneath them with Frederica if there's suitable terrain (or use oil). Use Jens' knockback traps to cause falling damage. Use Rudolph's traps to damage and prevent their turns, and/or the quietus that stops an enemy for a turn.

Playing on Hard, I was having difficulty with Booker until I spammed blind on him, lit a fire under his ass, and stopped him with the quietus. Then he was helpless as he died a quick and painful death.
I'm trying poison and paralysis but the two I'm fighting have status resistance.

I managed to blind Rufus, and that fucker was still one-shotting people with crits even still. Why RNG. I actually did immobilize him with Hughette's ability, though. That really saved me in that chapter

Managed it on the fourth attempt with aggressive use of Quietus abilities to inflict a lot of damage early in the fight.

That moment when everything is mostly nice in the story and I don’t want to advance the plot because I know all hell is about to break loose.

I’m almost at my first ending (27 hours atm, I haven’t done the mock battles tho) and I’m loving the game
But I’m kinda curious… which convictions are increased by battles/selling/buying/speaking with people/finding objects??

Also had an occurence where the game didn't want to follow my wanted path.

But that's democracy for you and I am not to disatisfied on where things are headed.

Thought to myself: "I will try to do a speedy replay on New Game Plus to see another ending and explore alternative choices". Five minutes later, I am getting absolutely demolished on the first chapter battle. So I dropped New Game Plus and opted to start everything from scratch.

I guess people looking for extra challenge in that mode will be very satisfied!

Last edited:
Thought to myself: "I will try to do a speedy replay on New Game Plus to see another ending and explore alternative choices". Five minutes later, I am getting absolutely demolished on the First Chapter battle. So I dropped New Game Plus and opted to start everything from scratch.

I guess people looking for extra challenge in that mode will be very satisfied!
Are there no difficulty options for New Game Plus? I was hoping to use that to do a quick run through of the golden route.

Are there no difficulty options for New Game Plus? I was hoping to use that to do a quick run through of the golden route.
There are. It's the same as in the regular adventure: you can choose the difficulty at the start and change it as you see fit.

I chose to keep it at Normal, but I guess that Normal becomes Hard on NG+. Or maybe I just suck at this strategy business.

Wow...these decisions are getting harder and harder to choose. I never have felt so conflicted with choices on this level lol.

I also vouch for Jens especially in elevated maps. His ladders helps the mages travelling around, and I often keep him at choke points and let him spam spring traps for the lul. In Chapter XVI, he actually managed to stall 2 foes along with Triss just by traps lmao.

I've almost entirely been using him to provide extra defense with occasional turn jumping. How have you been using him?
It's map-dependant, but you can use a ladder to move your whole army to high ground that you normally can't reach. Then when enemies try to follow, you can just leave someone at the top of the ladder to body block them, and the AI for melee enemies just doesn't seem to know how to deal with that at all.

I had a boss just stand there and do nothing because he couldn't go up the ladder. Trivialized the whole mission

It's map-dependant, but you can use a ladder to move your whole army to high ground that you normally can't reach. Then when enemies try to follow, you can just leave someone at the top of the ladder to body block them, and the AI for melee enemies just doesn't seem to know how to deal with that at all.

I had a boss just stand there and do nothing because he couldn't go up the ladder. Trivialized the whole mission
I realized after I posed the question that I was mixing up Jens with Benedict. I haven't experimented much with Jens yet, but I'm going to try the ladder strategy out!

I didn't use Jens on my first run through the game either. I basically used the main 8 plus Hossabara (because I need to have a second healer), Archibald (because Hughette was doing so well that I thought having another archer would be great), and Corentin.

I will try to mix things up on the second run, but knowing how stubborn I am I will probably end up sticking to the same team.

Heh, Star Fox: Grand Prix. Good times.
A worthy sequel to the Pokemon: Stars saga. Heck, better!

To be fair, the post at that link does state

A little more time will be needed before finding out for sure whether this title is full on, in development and coming to Nintendo Switch next year or it was another proposition that got left on the cutting board.

===

At any rate, made the first "big decision" btwn which nation to visit.

This "conviction" voting system I haven't encountered in games before.

So far it seems a bit neutered tho as it looks like you can pretty easily sway opinions if you've done some exploration in the free-roam scenes? It's novel to me however, and hopefully dialog trees in these sections get a bit more branching, with the need to take the characters personality into account.

Also, and this has probably been said a 100 times already, but cmon at that game title 😂

Now that I know the import of the scales and the voting system and decision-making, I can't help but wish the localization team rode with something like: Scales of Conviction or Scales of Fate or something like that.

Even if only as a subtitle eg Triangle Strategy: the Scales of Conviction.

I didn't use Jens on my first run through the game either. I basically used the main 8 plus Hossabara (because I need to have a second healer), Archibald (because Hughette was doing so well that I thought having another archer would be great), and Corentin.

I will try to mix things up on the second run, but knowing how stubborn I am I will probably end up sticking to the same team.
I used Narve as my backup healer, as him having various attack magic + sanctuary made him really flexible. Not the best at anything, but a solid all-rounder. Also used Archibald, and Corentin for ice wall, which came in handy on a couple of missions. The last one I used a lot outside of the initial crew was the hawk knight (can’t remember his name). he was a solid all-rounder between high defensive abilities and being able to taunt enemies, plus his AOE ‘aerial assault’ ability, plus the hawk ability of moving up terrain easily.

My goal is to have a ranged attack strategy and so I'm currently rocking 3 archers and 2 mages. I've basically tried to recreate how I play Skyrim, especially with Anne running around stabbing ppl in the back.

I used Narve as my backup healer, as him having various attack magic + sanctuary made him really flexible. Not the best at anything, but a solid all-rounder. Also used Archibald, and Corentin for ice wall, which came in handy on a couple of missions. The last one I used a lot outside of the initial crew was the hawk knight (can’t remember his name). he was a solid all-rounder between high defensive abilities and being able to taunt enemies, plus his AOE ‘aerial assault’ ability, plus the hawk ability of moving up terrain easily.
I will look into him as a healer. Hossabara was good because of her mobility and the ability to heal more than one unit, but she was really lacking from an attack standpoint. I also used the hawk knight occasionally, especially on the few missions that allowed for more than 10 units. His Aerial Assault was indeed awesome.

My goal is to have a ranged attack strategy and so I'm currently rocking 3 archers and 2 mages. I've basically tried to recreate how I play Skyrim, especially with Anne running around stabbing ppl in the back.
On the right map or with the right strategy on the more direct-combat scenarios that must be a deadly setup.

How I've come to field my units:

Always bring (though still sorted from 100% include to most droppable if I absolutely need to get another type of role filled)
Roland
Serenoa
Geela
Erador
Hughette

Flexible choice
1-3 out of 4: Frederica / Corentin / Narve / Ezana
1 out of 2: Benedict / Julio
1 out of 2: Anna / Milo

Map dependent
Hossabara
Jens
Archibald
the other one out of Benedict / Julio
the other one out of Anna / Milo
MOAR MAGES!

Niche role
Piccoletta

Never use
Medina
Lionel

Haven't had for long but look like future mainstays (spoilers for late game units!)
Maxwell
Flanagan

The never uses are because I don't like spending items and because I don't like greedy merchant fuckfaces.

On the right map or with the right strategy on the more direct-combat scenarios that must be a deadly setup.
There's a Quietus that grants more movement that really pairs well with the ranged attackers. It compensates the relative lack of mobility of the ranged classes who also have less speed so they take longer to get into position.

Using Jens and Rudolph on maps with vertical terrain is fantastic, pushing the enemy into steel traps never gets old.

Finally completed the first ending.
in which Serenoa died giving the party time to run from Idore. Although I suspect this is the closest one to the golden route, I find it incredibly bittersweet. The Rosellian are free but Norzelia is forever doomed. On this route I also find Wolfort often underpowered. I guess keeping all houses intact during the first Aesfrost invasion is the first step toward the golden ending ...
Now I have a general question for NG+.
Where can I find my current conviction stat and missing recruits? The tutorial mentions the sundry shop but I don't see any extra menu options so far.

Do you know how the character stories work?
How many of them are there for each characters? How to unlock them?
I’m at the end of my first play through and I have unlocked only 4 of them…

(I’m not talking about the ones where you unlock a character, I’m talking about the events)

Do you know how the character stories work?
How many of them are there for each characters? How to unlock them?
I’m at the end of my first play through and I have unlocked only 4 of them…

(I’m not talking about the ones where you unlock a character, I’m talking about the events)
Recently I unlocked one right after upgrading one of the character's weapon with the blacksmith, it wasn't there beforehand, so I assume that particular character side story was tied to that.

I am trying to make a certain decision go my way so that I can reach another ending, but I have been having no luck whatsoever.

When interacting with all characters I need to convince, all I get is "You would have better luck talking to a stone wall". Has anyone managed to grind conviction to make that change?

Plus, what's the trick? Is it better to grind at the hardest mock battle or the easiest one?

Back
Top Bottom