• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Triangle Strategy |ST| Romance of the Three Angles [NSW|PC]

Choose your conviction!

• Utility

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Liberty

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • One does not simply choose a conviction.

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
I might jump into this later today if I get the time/don't run into any problems with Yuzu.

You can play the first three chapters in the free demo, which should give you a good enough idea of what to expect from dialogue and cutscenes.

Based on what you said, however, it likely might be too much for you to enjoy.
Completely forgot about the demo. I'll give that a go

Chapter 7 was brutal
I didn't use any of the traps and I only had Anna and Hughette left at the end. Hughette was taking potshots at anyone on the roofs as no one could get to her. Anna is broken with surmount and take cover as I just had her going up and down from buildings and killing anyone next to here

Boy, Chapter 15 is kicking my butt.

It's the battle against the thieves in the Roselle village. Does anyone have any tips? I will give it another shot once I am done with work and I am trying to think of a strategy to finally win.

Taking my sweet time with this. I am only on the brink of the Chapter 9 battle after 20 hours on my save file.

Not only am I making absolutely sure I did not miss any items during the exploration phases, but I have also done a ton of mock battles to gain additional upgrade mats/currency and make sure my bench does not fall behind too much.

Boy, Chapter 15 is kicking my butt.

It's the battle against the thieves in the Roselle village. Does anyone have any tips? I will give it another shot once I am done with work and I am trying to think of a strategy to finally win.
I just finished this battle on hard, the main thing you want to do is

get rid of the archers as soon as possible and then block off all of the ladders from the top and snipe away at the melee guys. The AI will usually group them up in the middle waiting to get up ladders. I mostly just picked them off with Archibold, Hughette, Ezana, and Frederica with Geela on healing duty

Started this last night finally (after finally reaching the - kind of disappointing, not gonna lie! - ending of my Golden Deer run). Only played the first introductory battle but it's really nice to have this and I can see myself getting a lot of mileage out of it. May have to see about adjusting options to speed up or remove battle animations though (unless there's a button to skip them?).

Do we know how many endings or unique branches the game has yet? Or how many playthroughs it typically takes to see everything/recruit everyone? I'm probably just gonna go through and play it by ear at first, see what I get.

Hughette is a badass
for perfectly taking out that spy with her arrow. Sure it wouldve been nice to interrogate him, but if he had found even a handful of people and managed to yell "Prince Roland is here" it would've been over.

Do you get any bonuses for having Maxwell survive the chapter 6 bridge battle? Someone beat him by ramming him to the lower portion of the bridge, and he didn't help matters by constantly exposing his spine to the enemy.

I would have been screwed to no end if there were perma-death, because I finished the big battle after deciding to save Roland with Serenoa and Erador as lone survivors.

Still amazed I actually made it in the end. But I wanted to see if I could pull it off without using the traps. I ultimately had to use one, however, because I did not feel like restarting the entire battle. And I am now 90% certain you (or at the very least I) can not win that battle without using at least one of them.

You did better than me. One was the number of survivors I had. And the number of traps I used. And even that only barely and with improbable luck.

In the demo I won the battle with zero traps used and a clean conscience. Second time around things went south. Had only Roland left standing in the end so had to resort to burning down two houses to also catch Avlora in the flames. Afterwards Roland mobbed up half a dozen Aesfrost units all on his own. But it would have still all been for naught if that soldier hadn't lend me a helping hand, er, shield at the right time.

I love this game so much, it blows my mind. The story has me engaged and I like that I feel forced into decisions I didn't want, bc now I already can't wait to re-play the game with different dialogue choices.

I just can't believe that this game exists.

After reading some posts here, I feel like a terrible leader. My people should depose me! :ROFLMAO:

I used all traps to win the fight, so I burned as much property as possible. Avlora was cutting through my troops as if they were made of paper, so my silly brain didn't even consider the possibility the battle could be won without using a trap to get her. I guess that goes to show how good strategies can lead to vastly different battle outcomes.

This game has quite interesting development for its 3 main characters. As someone who tried to go after one specific conviction (albeit blind) to focus on one of them, I'm genuinely surprised at how things have turned out in the end, not really what I anticipated at all.

Now I think I'll take a small break before starting another playthrough

You did better than me. One was the number of survivors I had. And the number of traps I used. And even that only barely and with improbable luck.

In the demo I won the battle with zero traps used and a clean conscience. Second time around things went south. Had only Roland left standing in the end so had to resort to burning down two houses to also catch Avlora in the flames. Afterwards Roland mobbed up half a dozen Aesfrost units all on his own. But it would have still all been for naught if that soldier hadn't lend me a helping hand, er, shield at the right time.

This is amazing, lol.

Hahaha! That's awesome.
All it takes is a (not so) gentle push.

Do you get any bonuses for having Maxwell survive the chapter 6 bridge battle? Someone beat him by ramming him to the lower portion of the bridge, and he didn't help matters by constantly exposing his spine to the enemy.
No. Nothing.

Hahaha! That's awesome.
All it takes is a (not so) gentle push.

A gentle push, a moment to process what just happened, and then a gentle trot on a surprisingly relaxed horse, haha.

I'm in chapter 7 trying to convince them to protect
Roland
, and I'm missing a dialogue option for Anna. Is there something I've missed while exploring?

I'm curious as it was locked for me as well. My theories are it's either A) gated behind a certain conviction score, B) a NG+ option, or C) related to information only found in the Aesfrost route as I went to Hyzante.

I love this game so much, it blows my mind. The story has me engaged and I like that I feel forced into decisions I didn't want, bc now I already can't wait to re-play the game with different dialogue choices.

I just can't believe that this game exists.
Personally, I am already signed up for a sequel and for this to become a series.

Make it happen, Square Enix.

In chapter 7
I held out for 30 minutes, but was about to be overwhelmed by the enemy general. Had to use the upper tier fire trap to win, but managed to avoid using the lower and middle fire traps.

A gentle push, a moment to process what just happened, and then a gentle trot on a surprisingly relaxed horse, haha.

I'm curious as it was locked for me as well. My theories are it's either A) gated behind a certain conviction score, B) a NG+ option, or C) related to information only found in the Aesfrost route as I went to Hyzante.
That's my assumption as well.

Personally, I am already signed up for a sequel and for this to become a series.

I want a Game of Thrones based game using Triangle Strategy's system, where at the end of the campaign your score in the three convictions determines who ascends to the throne.

Morality? Jon Snow is made king. Liberty? The council goes with Sam's democracy idea. Utility? Sansa becomes Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

Middle of the road, no strong belief in anything, spent the entire playthrough ensuring no one is really satisfied? Congratulations, you made Bran happen!

I want a Game of Thrones based game using Triangle Strategy's system, where at the end of the campaign your score in the three convictions determines who ascends to the throne.

Morality? Jon Snow is made king. Liberty? The council goes with Sam's democracy idea. Utility? Sansa becomes Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

Middle of the road, no strong belief in anything, spent the entire playthrough ensuring no one is really satisfied? Congratulations, you made Bran happen!
Well now I want this

A strategy RPG like this is probably the best way to make GoT/ASoIF work as a game

Amazing. I'm only on chapter 4 and yet I am engrossed with the story, characters, international affairs and world building. This is such a huge improvement from Octopath.

Not only that but for once, the decisions feel genuinely difficult to select and actually has affects.

I'm so dumb I didn't realize you can just grind money and items in the encampment.
I thought you could only do those battles once.

I was like "whoa its pretty hard to make your characters stronger huh, the money and items are quite limited"🤡

So ya, I'm just gonna keep grinding monies and make my characters stronger so I can kick a certain bosses butt. XD

This is one game where I don't even mind doing the side battles which is pretty nice actually!

I was going to add that to my post, but it felt premature since I haven't beaten it yet. But yeah 100%, this should be a new series for them. Launch it on every platform whatever, but this seems like such a great platform for interesting stories/combat.

In the soundtrack they decided to give a vocal version of the opening theme. Its really good.

Completed chapter 6. I'm so in. So much war drama and intense battle maps. Team Asano goat.

I don't mind so much dialogue, it adds so much to the world although I'm probably biased since it's like a Visual Novel which I love lol.

I hope the next FE has maps of this quality.
I love Three Houses, but it's maps are very weak in comparison.

I will be playing the demo later, but question: I loved Octopath Traveler. How does this game compare?

This is the closest vision and execution have been aligned on a Team Asano game. Best I've felt about one of their titles since the first Bravely Default.

BUT they're different genres and I haven't seen the second half yet.

Specifically in comparison to Octopath Traveler, the writing is more consistent in quality, in exchange for less breadth in tone, while the quantity of story has shifted a bit more away from gameplay even though individual dialogue scenes are actually more concise.

This game is incredible and quickly becoming one of my favorite RPGs on the Switch. Maybe even one of my favorite Switch games in general. I absolutely love the story, characters, and world-building at play. I love the battles, exploration, dialogue, and exposition all individually as well, which I initially thought I would have a problem with so much dialogue, but I surprisingly don’t. This might actually top Octopath and Bravely 2 for me, even though I was skeptical that it would.

The choices and strategy gameplay are just top notch and make every move feel meaningful. And I’m only on Chapter 7.

This game is incredible and quickly becoming one of my favorite RPGs on the Switch. Maybe even one of my favorite Switch games in general. I absolutely love the story, characters, and world-building at play. I love the battles, exploration, dialogue, and exposition all individually as well, which I initially thought I would have a problem with so much dialogue, but I surprisingly don’t. This might actually top Octopath and Bravely 2 for me, even though I was skeptical that it would.

The choices and strategy gameplay are just top notch and make every move feel meaningful. And I’m only on Chapter 7.
Yeah I'm also around the same spot (just started Chapter 8) and I think this is going to shape up to be the best Asano-produced game yet, and I greatly enjoyed Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2.

The game just seems to hit on so many of the things it's going for much better than I was expecting. I think the area this game exceeds my expectations the most is probably the writing. I think they really have something great going on here with the story and characters. The story's dragged me in completely and I actually can't wait to see where it goes, which wasn't necessarily something I was expecting. The cast is also nice. I see characters like Erador and Benedict introduced and I just assume they'll behave in very particular ways, but they feel much more well-rounded and human than the one-dimensional caricatures I was anticipating.

Now that’s it in people’s hands. Do they finally stop talking so much????
alfred-never.gif

Just completed chapter 8 and enjoying myself more and more as time goes on. All that chat and narrative lends weight to the decision making, and the fact you make decisions by trying to convince your party to go long with you adds a bit more importance and immersion to the process, too.

After the demo and the reviews, I was expecting to enjoy it without getting especially hooked on it. But yesterday I sank 3 hours into it without realising and have already had an hour on it this morning. Good stuff.

Are certain dialogue options locked behind conviction gates, or are they all based on information you've picked up? I thought I'd done everything and spoken to everyone by the time I got to the first scales sequence in chapter 3 but there were a couple of options locked for me. It ultimately didn't matter at all, but I'm intrigued as to what they were.

Also, is there value in speaking to people who are already going to vote the way you want them to? It seems like you can only engage them to change their mind, not have them talk more about their existing choice or give you more information to convince others.

Also! Does one (or both) of the other conviction values go down as one goes up?

Are certain dialogue options locked behind conviction gates, or are they all based on information you've picked up? I thought I'd done everything and spoken to everyone by the time I got to the first scales sequence in chapter 3 but there were a couple of options locked for me. It ultimately didn't matter at all, but I'm intrigued as to what they were.

Also, is there value in speaking to people who are already going to vote the way you want them to? It seems like you can only engage them to change their mind, not have them talk more about their existing choice or give you more information to convince others.

Also! Does one (or both) of the other conviction values go down as one goes up?
I feel like all of this is nigh impossible to know without data mining, as it isn’t really explained in game.

From my experience, I would say: probably yes, not really, probably not.

Now that’s it in people’s hands. Do they finally stop talking so much????
If you do the non-optional combats, I estimate there is (in average) about 20 minutes of talking for every battle.

I guess that compared to the early stages of the adventure, later on the balance between dialogues and battles gets more even, but even after the midway point there are still some pretty lengthy story segments between battles.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because I am hooked on the story and characters; plus, as many have said, the exposition makes combats even more meaningful and engaging. There are no filler battles. All of them matter. But this is certainly not a game for people who don't care much for talking in their games.

If someone feels the demo had too much talking, I don't think the rest of the game will change that notion.

I just finished this battle on hard, the main thing you want to do is

get rid of the archers as soon as possible and then block off all of the ladders from the top and snipe away at the melee guys. The AI will usually group them up in the middle waiting to get up ladders. I mostly just picked them off with Archibold, Hughette, Ezana, and Frederica with Geela on healing duty
Thanks for the advice. That strategy worked like a charm!

Now I am up to Chapter 18. Things are getting quite intense!

The more I play and enjoy this game, the more upset I become that they named it Triangle Strategy. It's so good, I can't help but feel it needed a better, more fitting name. I hope it doesn't affect the sales too much, because I want more of this, even if it's called Triangle Strategy 2.

Not to come off as a massive fanboy, but:
  • Bravely Default is based on the brave and default battle system. Also, same amount of letters in each word (7).
  • Octopath Traveler is based on there being eight separate characters, each with their own storyline. Also, same amount of letters in each word (8).
  • Triangle Strategy is a strategy game with three different angles, aka perspectives, to the plot. Also, same amount of letters in each word (8).
They have found a naming convention that incorporates the thing that makes each of their games unique and are running with it. I like to meme about those titles as well, but I don't see how they are any worse or more generic than, say, Final Fantasy (will 16 be the final one, at last?) or even Dragon Quest.

• Bravely Default is based on the brave and default battle system. Also, same amount of letters in each word (7).
  • Octopath Traveler is based on there being eight separate characters, each with their own storyline. Also, same amount of letters in each word (8).
  • Triangle Strategy is a strategy game with three different angles, aka perspectives, to the plot. Also, same amount of letters in each word (8).
They have found a naming convention that incorporates the thing that makes each of their games unique and are running with it. I like to meme about those titles as well, but I don't see how they are any worse or more generic than, say, Final Fantasy (will 16 be the final one, at last?) or even Dragon Quest.

I understand the logic of the names, and to be honest, Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler never bothered me at all. I'm not sure what it is, but Triangle Strategy strikes me as almost too generic and simple for how amazing the game is. It's likely just a me thing.

You do have a point though regarding classic series names. No doubt it's nostalgia clouding my judgement and allowing me to say that I have no problem with Final Fantasy and the like.

Great post and I mostly agree with you....but "Final Fantasy" and "Dragon Quest" are epic pairings of words. It's the final fantasy you'll ever have! Or a quest involving dragons!

In contrast, "triangle strategy" is quite possibly the most boring collection of two words imaginable in the English language (hyperbole, I know). It evokes a geometry textbook or an instruction manual for chess and the all black logo with white, serifed font does not dissuade this impression. I don't think there's any threat of SRPG enthusiasts skipping this game bc of the name, but hot damn that title undersells the epic drama of the actual game.

Great post and I mostly agree with you....but "Final Fantasy" and "Dragon Quest" are epic pairings of words. It's the final fantasy you'll ever have! Or a quest involving dragons!

In contrast, "triangle strategy" is quite possibly the most boring collection of two words imaginable in the English language (hyperbole, I know). It evokes a geometry textbook or an instruction manual for chess and the all black logo with white, serifed font does not dissuade this impression. I don't think there's any threat of SRPG enthusiasts skipping this game bc of the name, but hot damn that title undersells the epic drama of the actual game.
Despite me playing devil's advocate, it is not as clearly cut as I claimed it to be. It does indeed not sound as epic or immediately curiosity-inducing as most titles. On first glance, it is rather bland in comparison.

Which is why I provided an alternative, equally meme-y title for the game in the ST subtitle.

Kind of curious as to how this game is selling. It seems to be doing well on Amazon, but it does feel like it got buried a bit in all the Elden Ring chatter, and Kirby is looming behind it from the Nintendo side. I'm definitely buying it at some point, and it looks pretty great, but not at launch like I did for Octopath. Too many games right now.

Kind of curious as to how this game is selling. It seems to be doing well on Amazon, but it does feel like it got buried a bit in all the Elden Ring chatter, and Kirby is looming behind it from the Nintendo side. I'm definitely buying it at some point, and it looks pretty great, but not at launch like I did for Octopath. Too many games right now.
Physical copies seemed to be sold out on Nintendo UK store when I last looked? Hopefully selling as well elsewhere. New IPs in the SRPG realm with a decent budget behind it on Switch is what I'm all about.

The game is top quality and one of the best SRPGs I've played in many a long year, so it deserves great sales.

Back
Top Bottom