• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Triangle Strategy |ST| Romance of the Three Angles [NSW|PC]

Choose your conviction!

• Utility

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Liberty

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • One does not simply choose a conviction.

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters
I just got a character with an interesting skill I hadn't seen or heard of yet as of Chapter 7.
Lionel the Merchant can tempt your enemies into defecting.

I got my copy late yesterday, but I'm having a blast with it. I went the Aesfrost route in chapter 3 and got Rudolph whose skills have been really useful in covering my weaker party members backs.

x2ZSYbp.jpg
Got the game at launch but did not have time to play till now (damn my thesis ...) For once I feel lucky that I skipped the final demo, since I can now binge play it in full lol.

Last edited:
How does this run? I still haven't played the demo but my picking it up feels like an inevitability. With it reportedly running at 4K60 on Yuzu I'm thinking this might be a dumper if performance on the hardware is notably worse.

It does chug quite a lot for me with special effects on the screen (things ablaze, the shimmering water etcetera). This is on handheld.

Played the game for a couple of hours and I have to say the beginning is already so mesmerizing and addictive.

In terms of visuals, it evokes the pop-up book aesthetics, with how 3D maps literally rise from the grand 2D map during exploration and battle phases. plus the "dreamy" post processing effects.
Story-wise, it also goes for a rather classic high fantasy setting (for now?). Though there is a lot of exposition in the beginning, I actually am not bothered with it too much since I can just put the controller down, relax and let the auto-forward feature doing its job.

My nostalgia is basically reaching climax lmao.

I got Piccoletta and Narve.

I can't see me making prominent use of. Firstly because she is a child, but mostly because her utility is tied to item consumption and I'm the notoriously stingy type of RPG player. So far her main, well, only use has been in her ability do summon a decoy that soaks backstabs instead of my troops. Even there she lacks the HP pool to really act as a pseudo-tank, though.

The other kid immediately became a must-include. One unit covering all four elemental magic classes, and the best spells of each, too? Yeah, I'll overlook the fact he's probably a minor for that.
So it seems that some recruits may show up in later chapters if you did not get them in earlier ones. Interesting.

Because I just got Piccoletta in Chapter 7.

Somehow already 6 hours into this game (currently on Chapter 4). This game is so chill and addictive. I think the last SRPG I played was Three Houses in 2019 so it’s been nice to have another great one on Switch!

Advance Wars is also coming up so we’re really feasting.

So it seems that some recruits may show up in later chapters if you did not get them in earlier ones. Interesting.

Because I just got Piccoletta in Chapter 7.

I guess in your playthrough the circus closed later or that poor child spent a couple days longer juggling in the wilderness. Her tummy must have rumbled even louder when you finally picked her up.

I also experienced a frame dip in the map that was in the first demo with the
burning buildings. If you have two burning at once the frames might drop like mine did.

I would be posting more here, but I'm too busy playing this game. So far I've been getting a mix of Tactics Ogre and Gungnir vibes and I'm loving it.

I’m totally in love with this game.
Unfortunately university has just started again so I don’t have much time to play, but I’m using all of my free time for this

I really hope there will be a lot of different endings

Is it impossible in some voting chapters to convince people? I tried twice to convince Frederica to not go to Hyzante but neither time worked.
I think the only option that can sway people is always locked and requires prior investigation during exploration to accumulate relevant information. You can view what info you have collected so far in the War Chronicles.

I think the only option that can sway people is always locked and requires prior investigation during exploration to accumulate relevant information. You can view what info you have collected so far in the War Chronicles.
I did use the locked information and a regular strong argument, neither worked

I did use the locked information and a regular strong argument, neither worked
How far are you into the game? I just realized that conviction also has a weight which favors one option over the other. May be you pushed the conviction scale too far into one direction and can't go back.

How far are you into the game? I just realized that conviction also has a weight which favors one option over the other. May be you pushed the conviction scale too far into one direction and can't go back.
That makes sense, that's probably why I couldn't convince certain people.

This is the crux of it.

I investigated the mechanics at play a bit yesterday, because I wanted to take the same route as in the first demo, but what had been a 7-0 back then suddenly wouldn't budge from 3-4 against. The only solution was to reload an earlier save and change one optional dialogue in the lead-up I had originally wavered on. That strengthened Serenoa's convictions just enough in the right direction he was able to sway the outcome towards a 5-2. I'm pretty sure I had the two remaining holdouts pegged correctly, too, but if your line of argument is based on morality and Serenoa lacks, well, conviction, it won't be very convincing.

The locked choices aren't always the best option, either. I had a case today where I ignored the locked dialogue both times, because I knew they didn't speak to the other character's concerns, and they ended up being the only swing vote.

Is it impossible in some voting chapters to convince people? I tried twice to convince Frederica to not go to Hyzante but neither time worked.
I’m curious about how this works as well. I tried to convince everyone to go to Hyzantine, but Erador still wanted to go to Aesfrost despite my using the secret option. So either the secret option is not always the best one, some characters are decision locked, or it’s based on your conviction stat. I wonder how it all works, is it as simple as just three bars filling up behind the scenes or is there more too it?

Really enjoying the game so far although it is certainly story heavy in those first few chapters.

I’m curious about how this works as well. I tried to convince everyone to go to Hyzantine, but Erador still wanted to go to Aesfrost despite my using the secret option. So either the secret option is not always the best one, some characters are decision locked, or it’s based on your conviction stat. I wonder how it all works, is it as simple as just three bars filling up behind the scenes or is there more too it?

Really enjoying the game so far although it is certainly story heavy in those first few chapters.

Serenoa has scores for morality, utility and liberty. Whenever the "conviction strengthened" message appears it means he gained points in one of the three. Increasing one stat doesn't decrease the others, but since the number of choices you'll make in a playthrough is limited, a Serenoa who constantly espouses freedom probably won't be able to make a good moral argument or attract recruits who are predominantly utilitarian thinkers.

Unless Serenoa grinded a ton of mock battles, that is.

That's the jist of it. I may still be wrong, because at one point I stopped looking deeper into it, because I wanted some mystery to remain and avoid the game turning into a spreadsheet of math in my head.

The little evaluation you get before trying to convince someone, of how likely you are to succeed, is probably at least partly based on the difference between Serenoa's current morality/utility/liberty score and whatever threshold needs to be crossed for that person to listen. The character's reactions and even what they say before and between dialogue options also give hints about what reasoning they're susceptible to.

I could talk about the optional recruits all day.

I unlocked the Blacksmith, Jens, a while ago, whose entire playstyle revolves around deploying traps, and even ladders to make it easier for other characters to scale high places.

So much variety, I love it.

I could talk about the optional recruits all day.

I unlocked the Blacksmith, Jens, a while ago, whose entire playstyle revolves around deploying traps, and even ladders to make it easier for other characters to scale high places.

So much variety, I love it.

I could have used him in my last battle. A wall I assumed was climbable with normal movement turned out not to be and my troops had to go the long way around to disastrous results. I didn't field Jens because at first glance the map was all about quick movement, so I figured his stationary style wouldn't be a good fit, but the whole thing devolved into a chokepoint war of attrition anyway.

I'm not getting the most out of Hossabara. I keep wanting to play her as a mobile healer, but she's really more of an offensive marauder, with the passive healing being more of a side benefit. Makes a good pair with Roland, tho.

I'm glad you don't permanently lose your characters once they fall in battle. I would be in trouble. XD

At first I reloaded the battle if I lost even one, but I just wanna continue the story so I'm just gonna keep fighting even if I lose some warriors from now on since, hey, no perma death!

I'm glad you don't permanently lose your characters once they fall in battle. I would be in trouble. XD

At first I reloaded the battle if I lost even one, but I just wanna continue the story so I'm just gonna keep fighting even if I lose some warriors from now on since, hey, no perma death!

I've let units fall when I had a chance to heal them just because I knew I was in a good position to win without them and I didn't want to spend the items. Everything's a ressource, including people. I'm a moral leader between battles, but in comabt I'm a cold-hearted utilitarian.

And I don't think the game expects you to carefully shepherd your units, either. Once you accept that not all unites will make it through, that unlocks fun dynamic ways the scenarios can play out.

I would have been screwed to no end if there were perma-death, because I finished the big battle after deciding to save Roland with Serenoa and Erador as lone survivors.

Still amazed I actually made it in the end. But I wanted to see if I could pull it off without using the traps. I ultimately had to use one, however, because I did not feel like restarting the entire battle. And I am now 90% certain you (or at the very least I) can not win that battle without using at least one of them.

The battles in this game really do feel like they rely on using your full arsenal, like it's finely tuned. Using fire shield on units when enemies trying to use scorch on my units (thus my decision to guard against that successfully) feels like the tactics matter, as does movement control, some enemy AI darts around healing and casting haste on each other, this being on normal is testament the programmers did a good ob with enemy AI here. A few spotty AI decisions here and there, but I'm impressed with how challenging battles have remained. Long may that continue.

I haven't had a battle yet I didn't finish with thoughs of how I could have done much better. Like "An ice wall blocking these stairs would have made enemy waves easily managable" or "Hmmm, after torching the grass here, Erador and Frederica held off reinforcements on their own; I committed too many troops that were needed at another spot" type stuff.

But, yeah, I haven't worked out the logic behind some of the AI's more puzzling calls.

I would have been screwed to no end if there were perma-death, because I finished the big battle after deciding to save Roland with Serenoa and Erador as lone survivors.

Still amazed I actually made it in the end. But I wanted to see if I could pull it off without using the traps. I ultimately had to use one, however, because I did not feel like restarting the entire battle. And I am now 90% certain you (or at the very least I) can not win that battle without using at least one of them.
I made it through
without using any traps, but half my team was dead. I felt really bad when what allowed me to win was the enemy general spending four turns killing Geela who lured her away, healing herself each time, meanwhile everyone else picked off the enemy troops. Ice magic to block the stairs in the top left, which then made enemy troops bunch up and be more vulnerable to AOE spells helped. Also I had Anna and the flying archer running around assassinating healers and archers.

I am not sure what everybody's experience is, but I feel this is way more balanced than the most recent Fire Emblem games. In those, I am usually able to overpower enemies without much trouble in the normal difficulty setting. Here, even though I have been doing all mock battles, every new storyline battle feels like a tight struggle.

I also like how the conviction stats as well as the dialogue choices that influence each one are kept a secret. It makes the whole system feel more natural. However, I guess it could be frustrating for someone wanting to experience all of the game's paths and alternatives, since you may not be able to sway characters to the decision you want to make from time to time. Still, I have been through quite a few branches already and in only one of them I was not able to convince my party to do what I wanted.

In the end, I guess it turned out for the best, though, because the choice was...

... accepting Telliore's proposal. I wanted to say yes even though I knew he was up to something, but my party deined it.

Last edited:
What's the optimal time for upgrading an unit ?
I don’t think it’s like Fire Emblem where level caps mean you want to sit in a junior class until lv20 then promote to a lv1 elite class. Here, just promote as soon as you can, as you gain an attack boost, access to new skills, an extra TP on their gauge, and a new look.

What's the optimal time for upgrading an unit ?
just upgrade whenever you have mats. lack of proper job systems means for each units, stats won't be varied that much per level up anyway
I also like how the conviction stats as well as the dialogue choices that influence each one are kept a secret. It makes the whole system feel more natural. However, I guess it could be frustrating for someone wanting to experience all of the game's paths and alternatives, since you may not be able to sway characters to the decision you want to make from time to time. Still, I have been through quite a few branches already and in only one of them I was not able to convince my party to do what I wanted.
you'll be able to see the values in ng+, so it should be easier to know how near you are in order to convince other members

I don’t think it’s like Fire Emblem where level caps mean you want to sit in a junior class until lv20 then promote to a lv1 elite class. Here, just promote as soon as you can, as you gain an attack boost, access to new skills, an extra TP on their gauge, and a new look.

Yeah. The only time I've held off is when I have one upgrade item and several good candidates. If most of them are sitting at, for example, level 10 and I can see what skill they'd gain immediately upon promotion but one is level 9 and has a level 10 unlock that's still a mystery to me, I might wait until I find out what they bring to the table, then compare everyone and decide what seems the most useful.

Man, that Chapter 7 fight was tough, but I managed to hold out and win with most of my party intact.

I went into the fight with Serenoa, Roland, Frederica, Benedict, Geela, Erador, Hughette, Rudolph, Julio, and Narve. Right from the start I sent most of my party to the furthest staircase and kept Hughette and Rudolph by the one closest to the castle gate where they both picked off whatever stragglers tried to go through. Meanwhile Erador and Serenoa were kept in the middle of their staircase to act as shields while Roland attacked from behind with his spear, Frederica and Narve used their magic, Benedict and Julio buffed everyone, and Geela healed. It was foolproof and worked quite well...until Avlora took things in her own hands and one-shot Erador.

Following that the final enemy reinforcements arrived right next to Geela and Frederica. I tried to block them with Benedict and Julio, but they managed to get around them and take out Frederica. Fortunately Hughette and Rudolph finished cleaning up their end and together with Narve took care of those reinforcements. In the meantime Roland took Erador's place and held his ground, but after taking several arrows Avlora took him out with one final hit. Thankfully by that time I had Rudolph in position and his traps along with Narve's Spark and Serenoa's Hawk Dive took care of Avlora and Hughette avenged Roland by taking out the remaining archers. Overall I lost three units, but managed to win without burning down any of the town.

For the first time the team voted for an outcome that I didn’t want.
I hope this won’t be as cruel as it sounds…

I thought Rudolph kinda sucked and was regretting not picking the other route, then two chapters in a row he was really helpful due to one of his skills. Don't bench him too early!

One of my first objective in NG+ is to clear the you-know-what battle in Chapter 7
without burning down any houses. Idk why, but seeing the houses burnt down in the post-battle cutscene, plus a lack of perma-death (in Normal mode, not sure about Hard mode) gives me an idea to explore possible changes in that cutscene had an alternative battle outcome occurred.
On the other hand, the big battle right after is relatively a cakewalk
Jens and Picoletta are truly the MVPs here. Jens' traps keep sending enemies to death due to fall damage and Picoletta's clone acts as a bait to either forest fire made by Frederica, or the puddles made by both Frederica and Corentin, which can be eletrocuted by Narva's thunder.

Last edited:
Question for everyone: I am very interested in this game and love ganes like Fire Emblem, Adcance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. However, I really really hate long-ass, dialogue-filled cutscenes that go on and on and on. Are the story beats/cutscenes somewhat manageable here? And I know this will probably piss people off, but are cutscenes skippable at all? Long, unskippable cutscenes are sometimes enough to make me pass on a game.

One of my first objective in NG+ is to clear the you-know-what battle in Chapter 7
without burning down any houses. Idk why, but seeing the houses burnt down in the post-battle cutscene, plus a lack of perma-death (in Normal mode, not sure about Hard mode) gives me an idea to explore possible changes in that cutscene had an alternative battle outcome occurred.
On the other hand, the big battle right after is relatively a cakewalk
Jens and Picoletta are truly the MVPs here. Jens' traps keep sending enemies to death due to fall damage and Picoletta's clone acts as a bait to either forest fire made by Frederica, or the puddles made by both Frederica and Corentin, which can be eletrocuted by Narva's thunder.
Not doing the first thing you mention is a necessity (if you take that path) for that ending.

Question for everyone: I am very interested in this game and love ganes like Fire Emblem, Adcance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. However, I really really hate long-ass, dialogue-filled cutscenes that go on and on and on. Are the story beats/cutscenes somewhat manageable here? And I know this will probably piss people off, but are cutscenes skippable at all? Long, unskippable cutscenes are sometimes enough to make me pass on a game.
I don't think this game is for you. This game is half dialogue half combat. They are skippable but I don't think the battles are interesting enough in themselves without the weight of the plot.

You can play the first three chapters in the free demo, which should give you a good enough idea of what to expect from dialogue and cutscenes.

Based on what you said, however, it likely might be too much for you to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom