• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Transformers: A Complete Cinematic Appraisal |ST| Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination

I always thought the 1986 movie had made me forever immune to franchises taking what I love and murdering it on screen after all my childhood favourites were killed off in the first five minutes. And then I watched a Michael Bay TF film and it made killing off old characters to sell new toys because money seem almost benign in comparison to the raw hate and militarised, tubthumping nationalism going on in his films.

I still love the 1986 cartoon. I grew to love the new characters too (except Hot Rod) and it’s so quotable, I still do so today (much to my wife’s chagrin after teaching my kid the Universal Greeting).

Still, Transformers One sounds like it has potential, I’m in for that next year!

It's funny, since I wasn't a big fan of Hot Rod in the film, but I'm a huge fan of him in the comics!

MTMTE-Roddy.png

It helps that they give him a cool design, a personality, and didn't make him responsible for getting everyone's childhood hero killed! He's the star of More Than Meets the Eye, a comic that also made me care about a lot of characters from the movie that I thought nothing of. Like Cyclonus, who goes from being "literally just some guy" to "morose gay space warrior".

cyclonusandtailgate.jpg

On the topic of the comics, there's been some preview images of the new series from Skybound starting in October! I don't know how the writing will turn out, but the art is looking very promising!

SPOILER_Ashcan_5.JPG

SPOILER_Ashcan_6.JPG

SPOILER_Ashcan_7.JPG

I've had my fill of nostalgia-flavored G1 content, but the art in the upcoming comic feels like it has os much energy that I'm willing to play along with the more conservative design direction.

I've never felt passionately about Hot Rod either way. It seems to be a point of contention but I find it difficult to muster the energy to have a strong opinion on him. I don't like him. But I don't really hate him either. He's a downgrade in the context of replacing Optimus but as a character he's inoffensive. He...exists. It's fine. The winnebago was weird but so was a lot of g1. It's cool if people like him. I think this is the most I've ever even talked about him.

But I haven't read the comics yet, even though I've been meaning to since forever. I might have stronger opinions about that interpretation.

It's funny, since I wasn't a big fan of Hot Rod in the film, but I'm a huge fan of him in the comics!

MTMTE-Roddy.png

It helps that they give him a cool design, a personality, and didn't make him responsible for getting everyone's childhood hero killed! He's the star of More Than Meets the Eye, a comic that also made me care about a lot of characters from the movie that I thought nothing of. Like Cyclonus, who goes from being "literally just some guy" to "morose gay space warrior".

cyclonusandtailgate.jpg

On the topic of the comics, there's been some preview images of the new series from Skybound starting in October! I don't know how the writing will turn out, but the art is looking very promising!

SPOILER_Ashcan_5.JPG

SPOILER_Ashcan_6.JPG

SPOILER_Ashcan_7.JPG
Oh wow that art is promising…

Yeah agree entirely. Loved Hot Rod and Cyclonus in MTMTE/Lost Light. The former because they made him comically upbeat and optimistic which worked really well for the vibe and as a relief to some of the other darker stuff that was going on, and the latter as it was such an original character as well as something that just worked. Cyclonus just stole almost every scene he’s in by transforming generic henchman into a sort of laconic, gay ronin/knight. Who’s also out of place as this ancient warrior guy caught up in the craziness. Which works as both a contrast to both his lover and some of the more out-there characters like the ‘mad scientist’ Brainstorm or the ‘axe-crazy’ Whirl. Every character in those comics was just a stunning take to me, great characters that also explored and expanded the mythology, that either expanded existing character traits or gave them interesting ones that gave fresh ideas to explore for the cast where they didn’t have them before. I’ll stop gushing about them now :)

I've never felt passionately about Hot Rod either way. It seems to be a point of contention but I find it difficult to muster the energy to have a strong opinion on him. I don't like him. But I don't really hate him either. He's a downgrade in the context of replacing Optimus but as a character he's inoffensive. He...exists. It's fine. The winnebago was weird but so was a lot of g1. It's cool if people like him. I think this is the most I've ever even talked about him.

But I haven't read the comics yet, even though I've been meaning to since forever. I might have stronger opinions about that interpretation.

The IDW comics version is definitely my favorite incarnation! If you want to read those officially... well, you can do what Phos and I did, and go through the effort to track down all those volumes and collections. Or, you can be more sensible, and wait a bit; at ComiCon this year, SkyBound (the new license holder for the comics) announced that they do plan on reprinting old Marvel and IDW Transformers comics after all! Details about those reprints are supposed to be later this year. Might take them a while to get to the really good IDW stuff though...

Oh wow that art is promising…

Yeah agree entirely. Loved Hot Rod and Cyclonus in MTMTE/Lost Light. The former because they made him comically upbeat and optimistic which worked really well for the vibe and as a relief to some of the other darker stuff that was going on, and the latter as it was such an original character as well as something that just worked. Cyclonus just stole almost every scene he’s in by transforming generic henchman into a sort of laconic, gay ronin/knight. Who’s also out of place as this ancient warrior guy caught up in the craziness. Which works as both a contrast to both his lover and some of the more out-there characters like the ‘mad scientist’ Brainstorm or the ‘axe-crazy’ Whirl. Every character in those comics was just a stunning take to me, great characters that also explored and expanded the mythology, that either expanded existing character traits or gave them interesting ones that gave fresh ideas to explore for the cast where they didn’t have them before. I’ll stop gushing about them now :)

They're both such fresh takes on the characters! I still need to finish Lost Light (I got through the Vol 3 TPB a few weeks ago), but both it and MTMTE are some of my favorite comics in general. I mentioned it earlier but Anode and Lug from Lost Light are two characters I absolutely adore, they have such a lovely relationship with each other. <3

And yeah, the art for the new comic is seriously impressive! The action looks so dynamic! Already got the first issue ordered at a local import shop. 😄

The IDW comics version is definitely my favorite incarnation! If you want to read those officially... well, you can do what Phos and I did, and go through the effort to track down all those volumes and collections. Or, you can be more sensible, and wait a bit; at ComiCon this year, SkyBound (the new license holder for the comics) announced that they do plan on reprinting old Marvel and IDW Transformers comics after all! Details about those reprints are supposed to be later this year. Might take them a while to get to the really good IDW stuff though...

They're both such fresh takes on the characters! I still need to finish Lost Light (I got through the Vol 3 TPB a few weeks ago), but both it and MTMTE are some of my favorite comics in general. I mentioned it earlier but Anode and Lug from Lost Light are two characters I absolutely adore, they have such a lovely relationship with each other. <3

And yeah, the art for the new comic is seriously impressive! The action looks so dynamic! Already got the first issue ordered at a local import shop. 😄
That looks like Ratchet kicking Starscream. I’ll be introducing ‘K-TONG!’ to my vocabulary now :D

the unicron trilogy i remember seeing back in the day it was aighty and i love collecting toys from that era and also the 2003 anime of transformers too

big fan of how multiple of the first images we see of the skybound book have starscream getting his shit rocked

also this is more the transformers thread

earthrise hoist is a terrible toy, fucker is impossible to transform

Since this thread got bumped, let's see how Tarn's doing

PXL-20230903-082057715.jpg

Hm. Not good

I started watching Earthspark with my daughter. We really enjoy it, it’s a really fresh take on things and I love that it focuses on the new characters and their premise as Terran-born transformers. Having it set 15 years after the Autobot/Decepticon war (G1) works, so there’s a few old familiar characters around to offer the odd word of advice (Megatron is hilarious) that my kid is always asking me about!

It’s like, yeah it’s a kids toy line/multimedia IP, it always has been. But it’s fun that it now gives us something in common, that when they make vague references to the war it’s like flashbacks to me reading the comics as a kid myself!

I started watching Earthspark with my daughter. We really enjoy it, it’s a really fresh take on things and I love that it focuses on the new characters and their premise as Terran-born transformers. Having it set 15 years after the Autobot/Decepticon war (G1) works, so there’s a few old familiar characters around to offer the odd word of advice (Megatron is hilarious) that my kid is always asking me about!
I really love Earthspark. Fresh new take, likeable characters, and can get surprisingly awesome at times (some of the fights are incredible). I can't wait for season 2!

Read Transformers #1 yesterday.

Guys we're so fucking back.

Also an LCS was shouted out in the author's letter, which is pretty cool

I picked it up at our local import shop yesterday, and WOW! What a fantastic opening! The art is incredible and so dynamic, it really sells the action scenes! Starscream is so fun in this too. This will be the first time I follow an American comic book monthly, and I'm so excited for issue 2!

I picked it up at our local import shop yesterday, and WOW! What a fantastic opening! The art is incredible and so dynamic, it really sells the action scenes! Starscream is so fun in this too. This will be the first time I follow an American comic book monthly, and I'm so excited for issue 2!
God I started marking the fuck out when Prime started hitting Starscream with pro wrestling moves. So goddamn awesome.

Back
Top Bottom