• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie will not get a Rotten Tomatoes score above 70%. Who will make an avatar bet about that?

Team 70 we had a good ru..... Actually no, we didn't. We got shell stomped.

Hopefully we enjoy the movie at least!

First and last time I trust Illumination.

...Still gonna go watch it.

Yep, looks like I'm losing my crocs again for a bit.

pouring-one-out-crying.gif

If they watched the superior french dub, the score would have gotten a 30% boost, alas...

i expected a 60 but lmao jesus, a little sad its prob too late to pick a team. but if not, under 70 was always my pick.

Why is everybody jumping to conclusions? Quantumania was in the 70s or 80s for the first few hours if I recall correctly, but its final score is 46. It will take a few days to get the true average.

The review embargo for the Mario movie is lifted on April 4 at 12 PM PDT/3 PM EDT. The winning team will be determined by the Tomatoscore 7 days after the embargo. However, there will be a mercy rule. If the Tomatometer is 80% or above 24 hours after embargo, Team 70 and Above will win automatically. If the Tomatometer is 60% or below 24 hours after embargo, Team Under 70 will win automatically.
so we wait 24 hours
Why is everybody jumping to conclusions? Quantumania was in the 70s or 80s for the first few hours if I recall correctly, but its final score is 46. It will take a few days to get the true average.
yeah I accounted for fluctuations in the rules

Last edited:
Well it typically just goes lower the more reviews come in, not higher.

It's about to get a lot harder to identify people here
It's a good thing I didn't participate, I would have lost.
Which means I would have been forced to spam posts about Octopath II even more in order to get recogni-

.......................................Damn I should have participated.

It's up to 55 now with 71 reviews. Average score is 5.2/10.

I personally wouldn't expect too much change with the score as the number of reviews increase unless Rotten Tomatoes has another whole batch of reviews that completely lean to one end of the scoring spectrum that needs to be added.
To be perfectly fair (note: I'm Team Under, not rooting against my own team here), 71 reviews isn't that many. We're probably only halfway at best to a 100% clear consensus being reached.

That said: I don't see this movie getting above 65%, TBH. Starting out at 47% was already a bit of a concerning sign.

To be perfectly fair (note: I'm Team Under, not rooting against my own team here), 71 reviews isn't that many. We're probably only halfway at best to a 100% clear consensus being reached.

That said: I don't see this movie getting above 65%, TBH. Starting out at 47% was already a bit of a concerning sign.
I would say that once Rotten Tomatoes posts their consensus statement, things are pretty much concrete.

When submitting my initial prediction, a moment of doubt almost clouded my view

But it seems that I made the right decision after all, illumination strikes again.

Y'know now that I think about it, RT doesn't make a ton of sense. Like, 59% is considered rotten but 60% is fresh? There should really be a 'Mixed'
score as well.

Y'know now that I think about it, RT doesn't make a ton of sense. Like, 59% is considered rotten but 60% is fresh? There should really be a 'Mixed'
score as well.
0 to 59 is rotten, 60 to 74 is fresh and 75+ is certified fresh if there are enough reviews

I’ll take the L

I was right, it was silly.

I feel there will be a much higher audience score, as critics and audience are going in for different things, reading the reviews a lot of critics negatives are the reasons many people are going, not for the story but to see Mario in a full motion picture doing these things he only did with canned animations before.

I should note that quite a few major publications have yet to post their reviews yet; those reviews, especially if they come from a Rotten Tomatoes top critic, can heavily swing the score.

Cleary these critics are upset that they couldn't get to the Darker Side of the Moon stage in Odyssey and are clearly taking it out on the movie.

Last edited:
I should note that quite a few major publications have yet to post their reviews yet; those reviews, especially if they come from a Rotten Tomatoes top critic, can heavily swing the score.
It depends on how much gaming publications get a day, because from their reviews this will be a masterpiece, it’s rather interesting though because two entirely different sets of reviewers who look for different things from media have been reviewing the Mario movie.

It’s pretty clear that if you do not have familiarity with Mario however this movie isn’t for you.

Back
Top Bottom