• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Super Mario Bros. Movie will not get a Rotten Tomatoes score above 70%. Who will make an avatar bet about that?

frog

Spin it, boys!
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8c9c6131-5d4a-415d-a6eb-8fb619a329d5_1265x712.jpeg

I am Frog and I am willing to bet my avatar that the Mario movie will not get above 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. Why?

1) The average Rotten Tomatoes score across all Illumination movies is 63%. Removing the outlier of Hop (24%), the average becomes 66%, which is still below 70%. You can calculate and see for yourself.

2) Out of 49 video game adaptations tracked by Rotten Tomatoes, only two have gotten over 70% on the Tomatometer. That's just over 4% of all video game movies that have crossed the 70% line. Of particular relevance, both Sonic movies and the Detective Pikachu movie did not break the 70% barrier on Rotten Tomatoes.

Remember that the percent score indicates the proportion of critics who liked the movie, not the average numerical score.

If the Tomatometer score for the Mario movie is under 70%, people in Team Above 70% will have to use an avatar of my choosing for a week.

If the Tomatometer score for the Mario movie is above or equal to 70%, people in Team Under 70% will have to use an avatar chosen by Team Above 70%.

After the social media impressions embargo lifts, no more bets will be accepted.

The review embargo for the Mario movie is lifted on April 4 at 12 PM PDT/3 PM EDT. The winning team will be determined by the Tomatoscore 7 days after the embargo. However, there will be a mercy rule. If the Tomatometer is 80% or above 24 hours after embargo, Team 70 and Above will win automatically. If the Tomatometer is 60% or below 24 hours after embargo, Team Under 70 will win automatically.

Team Under 70%
@frog
@Mer.Saloon
@Brock Reiher
@catonkatonk
@Lord Azrael
@neon
@AoiHana
@Catalyst
@Sturmgeist

Team 70% or Above
@SpaceGodzilla
@robertman2
@scamander
@Notsowise
@Skies
@Leviraps
@Kevin
@Fercho
@storres
@Metroid
@jazzyartist
@bellydrum
@WestEgg
@RealUncleNintendo
@Awesomegames23
@SirArthur
@Lozjam
@MP!
@Plubio
@N 2 Deep
@Edelink
@menx64
@MeatheadSamus
@Skipper93653
@Phantom Thief
@Pacobob
@Psamtik
@lexony
@Djehuty

Last edited:
Team under.

I'll be happy to be wrong. And besides, I could use with a change of AV.

You should probably have a time limit set for when the score solidifies.

I feel like it'll score above 70, not going to make an avatar bet for it though lol

Team push, it'll be exactly a 70

Please do not actually include me in this poll. I'm not interested in avatar bets.

I’ll need to hear the duration before committing, I’m rather attached to my crocs.

I am team above. Just looking at the trailer you can tell the team involved in the movie did their homework, including Chris Pratt as much as it pains me to acknowledge.

I typically never avatar bet, but... if neither of the amazing Sonic movies could breach 70% and Mario somehow does, then we live in an unjust world that I don't want to be a part of anymore. I will stake my life on the hope that there is still good out there

TEAM UNDER

EDIT: Fuck their highest movie is 80%? Oh well. Ride or die bitch

Fuck it, I’ll try this one.

Above, though I predict it’ll land in the 70-80% range.

I have faith in Horvath and Jelenic. They tend to do good work, and they generally know what the hell they’re doing when adapting properties. Plus, with the test and press screening reactions apparently trending positive, I’m becoming more confident.

But we’ll see.

If you amend your conditions to be "under vs above or equal, put me on above or equal.

Update
A small change in language: Team Above 70 is now Team 70 and Above. "Above 70" and "Below 70" creates a no man's land where nobody wins if the Tomato score is exactly 70%.

Clarification on how the winner will be determined: the Tomatoscore is dynamic, and can often change significantly as more reviews come in after embargo. So, the winner will be determined by where the Tomatometer falls exactly one week after the review embargo is lifted. However, there will be a mercy rule. If the Tomatometer is 80% or above 24 hours after embargo, Team 70 and Above will win automatically. If the Tomatometer is 60% or below 24 hours after embargo, Team Below 70 will win automatically.

@frog, just for clarity, the first sentence is a typo for "will not," right? 😊
yep
I’ll need to hear the duration before committing, I’m rather attached to my crocs.
How long do losers have to wear the avatar?
only a week. Long enough to sting but not so long that I get bored of seeing the losing avatar
If you amend your conditions to be "under vs above or equal, put me on above or equal.
I realized that it should be 70 and Above as I was out for a walk lol

Above.

Everyone knows Mario and loves Mario. That sort of nostalgia bait will be in with critics.

This is one of the most promising video game adaptations of all time, and looks like it will be the best illumination movie. Easily above 70 so I'll cast my vote there.

I have no idea what an "avatar bet" is though.

I have no special inisght, but i think it's fair to say it will be compared favourably to the SMB movie from 1993 and that may boost it's review scores somewhat.

Given how vapid and souless a lot of hollywood dreck are these days can still review well, it's hard to imagine a movie like this who has had a lot of time to cook not to score well, and the bits of the movie we've seen seems to suggest it at least understands its audience.

My vote is above 70, but not really going to do the bet part, just want to drop my thoughts.

This is one of the most promising video game adaptations of all time, and looks like it will be the best illumination movie. Easily above 70 so I'll cast my vote there.

I have no idea what an "avatar bet" is though.
if you bet and are incorrect you change your avatar for a set time (a week in this case)

Critics like garbage

Put me on for ABOVE

Also it’s Mario … it’s gotta do well
So win win baby

Team Above

I'm feeling super optimistic about this movie, it looks like the quality is there.

Back
Top Bottom