• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews The Super Mario Bros. Movie review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread turned out exactly as I expected, haha.

On the movie: I'm just gonna say this was very much expected as well. I wonder what Nintendo will plan next for movies (and potentially tv shows?)

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

Wha... is this someone's idea of the breadth of what film has to offer? Liking Korean films is "being up your own ass"? Wes Anderson is "ascended"?

This has got to be a parody

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

This looks like it was made by someone who would say "Metroid is more important to Nintendo than Kirby".

I was gonna wait for 4K digital anyway, but it sounds like it’s a decent time. RT scores don’t really mean as much as people like to think. While it’s true that great movies with high scores tend to be great, there’s a lot of great movies with scores that aren’t so high.

Bruh some of these reviews are absurd:

"The storyline is yet another “the world is in peril and must be saved from a villain”. Here’s hoping a more original theme will be forthcoming from future Mario Bros. pictures."

What the hell were some of these people expecting?

not necessarily

The Mid-Off Of The Century
Who will win? The movie where Jim Carrey finds to his true form as an egged man or the film where Miyamoto finally shares his Spotify playlist of the greatest 80s hits? The Battle of the century.

I am firmly in the ascended category. My formative teenage years I used to obsess over Kubrick, Kurosawa, Oshii, Wenders.
That being said, most film critics also use their reviews as an exercise in narcissistic self felation. Rule of thumb is always tone. Too many have simply copied Eberts cynical quips without having the understanding or deeper knowledge of the medium that made Eberts remarks sometimes poignant, or at the very least relevant.
Ultimately being a critic is self serving before anything else.

The biggest fools however are those that would let a score decide what they watch/consume. If you'd go for that you'd miss out on a lot of great or at least interesting experiences.
That is true for games, movies, books, music, concerts, food, clubs etc.

Actually true.
I love so much stuff that isn't very high in the critical consensus.
A lot of movies actually, more than anything.
I mean, i love Spider-Man 3 lol.
Don't let pretentious people tell you what to enjoy and what not to enjoy ether.
See for yourself always.

Actually true.
I love so much stuff that isn't very high in the critical consensus.
A lot of movies actually, more than anything.
A mean i love Spider-Man 3 lol.
Don't let pretentious people tell you what to enjoy and what not to enjoy ether.
See for yourself always.

Always interesting to see the correlation between scores and "don't listen to reviewers" , since it never comes up when they're giving something people have already decided they want to love prior to seeing good scores.

Last edited:
Funny how "don't listen to reviewers" never comes up when they're giving something people have already decided they want to love prior to seeing good scores.
I mean people don't go bragging "see they say this thing is good" often either.
Actually that's why I don't like things like game of the year or the Oscars.
It's more when a lot of people share the same positive reaction at something you like when that comes.
And sure as hell that's gonna be the case with me when this movie makes bank.

Let the people say if it's good or not for a consensus, not a few empowered bunch.
At the end everything is relative and subjective and depends on ourselves

Edit: I mean have you read some of the reviews?.
Some of them are rather silly.

Movie was really enjoyable. Struggling to keep my eyes open so rapid fire review

Visuals: 9/10, action and set pieces were great. loved the platforming elements.

world design: 10/10. perfect.

story: 6/10, maybe a 5/10. characters (specifically mario & luigi) could’ve been fleshed out more. felt like they had a great skeleton/foundation written for them and just stuck with the first draft.

comedy: 8/10. wasn’t expecting to laugh as much as i did. audience was cracking up too.

music: 7/10 pretty good. very disappointed when it got to the credits though. the music that played during the credits was phenomenal! wish those songs were played throughout the movie

And sure as hell that's gonna be the case with me when this movie makes bank.

If something is popular it must be good. Like The Minions!

Let the people say if it's good or not for a consensus, not a few empowered bunch.

I will remember this. I hope you don't get angry if I post about not liking the movie!

At the end everything is relative and subjective and depends on ourselves

When it comes to movies at least, I guess. Even if something is poorly done on many levels, just seeing Foreman Spike on the big screen may be enough for some people to call it good!

An interesting comparison to Sonic 2: Less critics liked the Mario movie on a good/bad system through rotten tomatoes but with review scores through metacritic, the mario movie has a higher metacritic score.

An interesting comparison to Sonic 2: Less critics liked the Mario movie on a good/bad system through rotten tomatoes but with review scores through metacritic, the mario movie has a higher metacritic score.

That's not too surprising, since Sonic 2 isn't a very good movie. It runs at an agonizing two hours, while the Mario movie is a merciful hour and a half. Without seeing the latter, that's one thing it has over it!

That's not too surprising, since Sonic 2 isn't a very good movie. It runs at an agonizing two hours, while the Mario movie is a merciful hour and a half. Without seeing the latter, that's one thing it has over it!

At least the sonic 2 movie had the decency to put most of the wedding scenes together so that they're easy to fast forward through when rewatching the film, which is probably that extra half hour saved.

But also, it's a good movie dragged down by those mediocre scenes that they felt they needed to give the film original humans something to do for some reason.

So with Sonic 2 getting 69% RT and 47 Metascore vs Mario's 55% RT and 49 Metascore tells me that more critics gave Mario a rotten but the actual overall scores are slightly stronger than Sonic 2's.

At least the sonic 2 movie had the decency to put most of the wedding scenes together so that they're easy to fast forward through when rewatching the film, which is probably that extra half hour saved.

That whole subplot was the literal worst! When my GF and I were watching it, anytime it cut back to that subplot one of us would shout out, "Just like the game!"

If they just cut out all of the human stuff except for Dr Eggman and his boyfriend, it would have been so much better.

Edit: I mean have you read some of the reviews?.
Some of them are rather silly.

Yes I have, thanks for asking, and they reiterated that my main concern that I was preemptively worried might happen, that this would be a hollow ready player 1 style list of references is a trap the movie fell in to. There's nothing I hate more in writing than something designed to target the "1000 Easter eggs in the Mario movie" Youtuber crowd instead of just making a decent narrative and letting the film happen naturally. That's how you get shit like rise of Skywalker.

I'm probably still going to see it, and the only reason I'm not doing so tonight is I got a chest infection (ha, jokes on me for thinking a science conference would have had people taking health seriously last week...), But I'm very much glad to be able to set my expectations accordingly.

...and probably get a worse RT score because then it'll actually be more like the games.

No, it would have gotten a better one for having better pacing. Despite the joke my GF and I kept making while watching, it's not the fact that it's not like the games that made the movie bad. It's boring, poorly paced, and filled with bad jokes. Making it more like the games, so I could point at the screen and shout at an obscure character I recognize (Let's say... Tail's Doll. I don't know), wouldn't have made it better.

RT score keeps climbing and climbing... Critic score at 56 and Audience score at 98% with 50 verified reviews, what the hell? How does this work at all?

RT score keeps climbing and climbing... Critic score at 56 and Audience score at 98% with 50 verified reviews, what the hell? How does this work at all?

RT says 54 for me.

With regards to the audience score, it will be interesting to see how it plays out once the enthusiasts have been and gone.

I think this review is the perfect balance of being from someone who is enough of a fan to get it, but was clearly hoping for something more.

Always interesting to see the correlation between scores and "don't listen to reviewers" , since it never comes up when they're giving something people have already decided they want to love prior to seeing good scores.
Genuinely factualy wrong. I have seen many comments across the years where people go "what the fuck?? people said it was good but it was SHIT?!" or "this got oscars and i hated it critics don't know shit" and variations.

Genuinely factualy wrong. I have seen many comments across the years where people go "what the fuck?? people said it was good but it was SHIT?!" or "this got oscars and i hated it critics don't know shit" and variations.

Did you miss the "prior to seeing" bit in my post, or do you just know a ton of people capable of observing the future to be able to make statements like that?

Bruh some of these reviews are absurd:

"The storyline is yet another “the world is in peril and must be saved from a villain”. Here’s hoping a more original theme will be forthcoming from future Mario Bros. pictures."

What the hell were some of these people expecting?
Yea exactly. Even in China the audience score is equivalent to an A cinemascore rn. Critics that have no idea what mario is about were disappointed. But that movie isn't for them.

Does anybody know how long it takes for a movie's cinemascore comes out?
Usually they have it after the first day or during the first weekend. But i don't know how it will work with the movie releasing on a wednesday. They might poll today and have it tomorrow. We'll see.

Just got back from seeing the movie, my nephew(8) and niece(9) loved it, but to be honest it gave me a headache at times, something that other animated movies haven't done before.

The film was ok, if you love Mario you will probably love the movie, if you don't like Mario you will probably be bored.

Just got back from seeing the movie, my nephew(8) and niece(9) loved it, but to be honest it gave me a headache at times, something that other animated movies haven't done before.

The film was ok, if you love Mario you will probably love the movie, if you don't like Mario you will probably be bored.
I've came back from the movie and I'm pretty sure the flaw you saw (and I saw in this) is a very very fast pacing. This is probably the most fast-paced animated movie (or straight up just movie in general) I've ever seen in my life. And the movie kind of suffers for it.

Did you miss the "prior to seeing" bit in my post, or do you just know a ton of people capable of observing the future to be able to make statements like that?
I didn't miss it, it is just irrelevant to you pretending that people only disagree with critics when they're invested in defending beloved movies like fanboys.
And not to mention that yes, as a matter of fact, I have seen people, and even myself, say a movie looks like shit, get told critics liked it, and then write them off as unimportant multiple times, because surprise surprise, getting told "but the metacritic is good" is not going to sway everyone.

IM SORRY WHAT.
Madagascar is AMAZING?????

The first Madagascar is definitely not as good as it's sequels. Which are 64% and 78% respectively on RT.

So quality-wise the movie is "As good as the worst Dreamworks movies and sequels"

Okay I'm glad, and only a little ashamed it took me that long to realize it lol
can't blame you, it's film twitter

believe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom