• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews The Super Mario Bros. Movie review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's a 30+year old franchise with a lot of iconic/beloved music, ranging from chiptunes to fully orchestrated, so I'd imagine people were hoping to hear some of that orchestrated for the big screen. Or an original film score of some kind.
I mean, we definitely know there's a ton of that in this, the Game Awards clip had a ton of distinct melodies in a minute clip, and many of the reviews have pointed the soundtrack as one of the main positives.

Clip for reference:

I had no clue the Sonic movies had such a low rating. I rarely look at any kind of reviews beyond tweets that show scores on newly released games but even then that doesn’t deter me if I’m interested. I’ve never seen one but they have always been on my to watch list bc I’ve only heard great things about the movies lol.

Licenced music isn't inherently an issue, but when the choices are rote and the implementation uninspired, it can become much more noticeable.

In this instance it probably stands out more because the more Mario focused parts of the OST generally seem to have been implemented well.

56% at 80 reviews
4 more points and it's fresh, may actually achieve it by tomorrow 3pm ET

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

You can't be serious

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

This iceberg doesn't go nearly deep enough to explain me

This is the most lenient iceberg meme I’ve ever seen, no way that films that are basically entry level, required watching for any cinema or scenario writing class are way down there. Even then most people that vote for the Oscars don’t even touch these categories really when you consider how animation, foreign movies and genre movies get treated there

The reviews are pretty empty and I don’t want to get spoiled by the more in-depth ones but here’s the thing to consider. From what we know, the movie was made by huge fans. Between that and how the promotional material has looked, you can guarantee that videogame adaptations nowadays won’t ever be total dumpster fires anymore. They will at least not “miss the point”, they will make something consistent with the aesthetics of the source material. Now the next step is to make an actually good movie. Sure you could say that Mario has no story and has a nonsense premise to begin with but even then, the Mario RPGs that do have narrative are honestly above average in terms of writing in videogames so it’s always possible. (Tbh the biggest concern for the movie’s quality was always the studio to begin with) It’s easy to “tick nostalgia boxes” or to make a “rollercoaster/theme park” movie, look at what the MCU does. It’s easy to make movies so the fans won’t regret going to the theater for it: when something tries too hard to appeal to die hard fans, there is simply no hook for anyone unfamiliar, it’s like they get carried by the decades of presence the series had. The thing is, there have been animated and superhero movies that actually do have good qualities as films rather than flicks, if the reviewer can’t recognize that they are simply hacks. The prime example is how Raimi’s Spider-Man is on a whole other level in pretty much every metric compared to stuff like the MCU and cape flicks in general. That’s how you make a movie based on a “childish” or “geeky” source material

I guess I’ll see where the movie stands once I’ll see it but if Nintendo wants to keep this movie thing going, they better make movies and not long ads for their games. In fact the Pokemon movies are already a good example and are honestly a high standard to beat

Wouldn’t be the first time critics got it wrong

D5-F08668-FFA0-492-E-85-DE-980-A03-DEDA4-F.jpg

Probably, post-release reviews for children movies are usually a lot more positive than the initial reviews
It's interesting Mario is like 2 points higher than Sonic 2 on Metacritic with more reviews but 13 points lower on RT.

Why do people care about licensed music? I don't get it
I mean, would you like it if Nintendo suddenly used licensed music in a Mario game? That would feel incredibly off, wouldn’t it? I feel like they should have just made original songs instead like did with the vocal songs in Super Mario Odyssey.

But that’s coming from someone who has absolutely zero interest in mainstream, non-video game music anyway, and I also dislike that they ditched the game voice actors in favor of Hollywood stars for this movie, so I know I’m very much in the minority in feeling that way, unfortunately. =P (That said, I’m sure I’ll still enjoy the movie despite my nitpicks.)

48 was bad but 56 is entering territory that wont be toi damageable. If it can reach 60% than it will be fresh.

The most important is audience score and cinemascore. CinemaScore polls screenings and ask people to give it a score. They usually are telling about how much a movie will have legs.

If it has B or lower, usually its that word of mouth won’t be really strong or good. B+ is okay and anything in A is great. I would expect a B+ probably. Fans seem to be willing to go see it multiple times.

I think a billion is possible but we’ll see.

I can't tell if you're in on the joke here but it definitely seems some of the people who quoted this aren't

Return of the Jedi is underrated still I think, there hasn't been a Star Wars movie as good as that since 1983.

Yes there are Ewoks but that doesn't invalidate the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes are arguably the best thing in the saga period (yes even peaking higher than Empire Strikes Back's peaks; Empire is the more consistent film but ROTJ peaks higher).

None of the prequels or sequels or spin-offs are as good as ROTJ.
Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film, fist bump. I acknowledge that Empire is probably a better movie overall, but nothing beats the highs of ROTJ to me.

(That new singing alien scene from the special edition can die in a fire though)

Ok… so I’ve seen some youtube reviews. Seems like people that went only because they review stuff but had 0 intention of seeing it or know nothing about the universe, did not like it.

But, the people that know some stuff found the movie fun most times. Seems like the movie doesn’t focus on world elements directly so if you dont get the references or observe details you see in games, then yoj focus too much on the story which is the weak point of it.

Like the review were she says why does he have a cat suit? Like c’mon, Mario has animal costumes since EARLY on and even the cat suit is a decade old. Mario games are popular and the amount of people that will end up going and enjoying it will be way higher imo.

This will still do well. Im seeing good reception online even after the bad reviews people are willing to give it a try.

"We get it, you're a metrics guy."

Scores for this will not move the needle either way for me. I'm watching it after work tomorrow, alright told my boss I'm logging off early.

It should have been a priority to make this game appeal to people that aren’t immediately familiar with everything Mario. I assumed, much like their blue ocean aims in gaming, their theme park, etc. it’s about expanding mindshare.

I will never accept the excuse that because a movie is based on a game that it can’t have broader appeal. And I highly doubt they kicked off this initiative with the sole intent of appealing to existing Mario and Nintendo fans.

I think it will have appeal with the mass audience. I don't really see it flopping.

I just hope it has good jokes, that's what the RPG Mario games have and then it's gucci.

I expected the film’s plot to be as dull and soulless as any mainline game, so my expectations are fully in check. Seeing it in a couple hours and super excited. Wa-ho!

If it continues to climb I'm guessing it will at least reach around Sonic 1's RT score (63)?

I think honestly this is about Sonic quality. Sonic just got a bump because Jim Carrey in live action is able to carry scenes, if you removed him the movie would easily fall several points (both Sonic 1 and 2) in it's RT score as grumpy old critics would pile on about something or other. Now I'm thinking about a live action Mario movie with Jim Carrey as Wario, lol.

The Sonic movies are legitimately awesome, especially the first one. They're good, fun action comedies with a great buddy movie vibe in the first movie. I've had a really hard time getting into the Sonic franchise game-wise but I was kinda blown away by how good Sonic the movie was.

The Sonic movies are legitimately awesome, especially the first one. They're good, fun action comedies with a great buddy movie vibe in the first movie. I've had a really hard time getting into the Sonic franchise game-wise but I was kinda blown away by how good Sonic the movie was.
I think they're pretty good, but I didn't like how they weren't very faithful to the games though.

I liked the Sonic movies but I ain't gonna act like they couldn't have been better. None of the human characters are needed, and the humor feels like it's directed at 4 year olds. I like the action and the cgi, and Jim Carrey is fun, even tho I wouldn't say he's a "great Eggman," but everything I've seen from the Mario movie already makes it so much better than both Sonic movies.

And make no mistake I love Sonic, just as much as Mario, I just feel like the Sonic movieverse is being held back considerably by making it live action and forcing in human characters.

The sonic movies were super fun yeah.

But honestly as an adaptation, I gotta respect Mario more. It really seems like care went into adapting the source material - Mario’s world, mechanics, items.

Sonic kinda had a cop out with the “transported to the real world” trope. Meanwhile there are literal Mario obstacle courses and power ups seamlessly integrated into TSMBM.

Maybe people more knowledgeable on sonic will say I’m wrong and I’m okay with that, but that’s just the vibe I get

Personally, I was more interested in what “Mario-people” were going to think about the movie over critics, and having listened to spoiler-lite discussions on the Kit and Krista Podcast and GameXplain, I’m pretty confident I’m going to love the movie when I see it on Friday. Pretty excited!

I had no clue the Sonic movies had such a low rating. I rarely look at any kind of reviews beyond tweets that show scores on newly released games but even then that doesn’t deter me if I’m interested. I’ve never seen one but they have always been on my to watch list bc I’ve only heard great things about the movies lol.
game ratings are different from movies
for games 7 is a 'it works I guess'
while for movies its a pretty good but not fantastic or truly movie

The sonic movies were super fun yeah.

But honestly as an adaptation, I gotta respect Mario more. It really seems like care went into adapting the source material - Mario’s world, mechanics, items.

Sonic kinda had a cop out with the “transported to the real world” trope. Meanwhile there are literal Mario obstacle courses and power ups seamlessly integrated into TSMBM.

Maybe people more knowledgeable on sonic will say I’m wrong and I’m okay with that, but that’s just the vibe I get
nah, you're totally correct, the sequel did add a ton more 'sonicness' into it but still not near mario
I think both approaches have merits but marios is inherently more appealing to most big fans of the games

Critic reviews don’t mean all that much to me since I’m inherently extremely biased as a fan lol, if my viewing experiences of Sonic / Detective Pikachu are anything to go off. That said, this was generally lower than I expected, but it makes sense.

I liked the Sonic movies but I ain't gonna act like they couldn't have been better. None of the human characters are needed, and the humor feels like it's directed at 4 year olds. I like the action and the cgi, and Jim Carrey is fun, even tho I wouldn't say he's a "great Eggman," but everything I've seen from the Mario movie already makes it so much better than both Sonic movies.

And make no mistake I love Sonic, just as much as Mario, I just feel like the Sonic movieverse is being held back considerably by making it live action and forcing in human characters.
I agree, but

Sonic has the cop-out of getting a ton of opportunities for Adventure-era nostalgia out of putting it in the real world, which really hit that nostalgia bell for me

I agree, but

Sonic has the cop-out of getting a ton of opportunities for Adventure-era nostalgia out of putting it in the real world, which really hit that nostalgia bell for me
I mean I get what you're saying but it doesn't mean much if they aren't really building off of that adventure-era nostalgia to me personally. There really is no Station Square, IIRC in the Sonic movieverse and even if there is it's irrelevant, and by going with live action they've doomed themselves to not being able to accurately, or even come close to, portray events such as Perfect Chaos or the bigger more cinematic moments of SA2. Like I know the third movie will be about Shadow, but I don't expect the Ark or the moon being blown up or the Biolizard or anything like that, unless they give it a much much bigger budget. Likewise, given how they aim at the lowest age possible with the humor and subject matter, I don't have faith of Gerald, Maria, or even Rouge showing up in the third movie.

I'm currently thinking it'll be a plot centered around Shadow being on the side of Eggman, because Eggman tricked him, than moving to Sonic's side near the end to fight Metal Sonic, and if Maria shows up she won't die, she'll miraculously survive and then show up, coming out of witness protection or something near the end as an old lady and be the human character Shadow is now perpetually attached to.

We're only on page 2. Can we wait a little until this thread devolves into "this review has a different opinion than what I expect to, so the reviewer must be an idiot"
I would appreciate it if you'd stop soft-modding. People are allowed to criticize things. Nobody was calling anyone an idiot, so not sure where you saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom