• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews The Super Mario Bros. Movie review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to take a moment to bask in the unexpected reality that Puss in Boots 2 is the high bar for animated films currently. Like, it's deserved, but imagine thinking this would be the case a year ago.

Oqhvro3.png

Please put this at the top of the OP.
This is so funny because Mario is the audience finding out about this « unknown world » and learning how to deal with it. So the movie being inaccessible doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Reminds me of that french critic who said that The Matrix was one of the most fascist movie they ever watched.

Yes. The Matrix. Or that other critic who said that « The Matrix have no stakes because when you die, you respawn ».

I’m not making this up. This actually was written by (french) human beings.

I'm just going to take a moment to bask in the unexpected reality that Puss in Boots 2 is the high bar for animated films currently. Like, it's deserved, but imagine thinking this would be the case a year ago.
I actually liked PiB 1 and it's rotten! Extremely cheesy movie with Antonio Banderas charisma

Damn this is really sad, it seemed like such a Labour of love.

Plenty of mediocre films are labours of love.

I don't think there's any doubt that passion and effort went into this film - but if it's used in a misguided fashion, then it can be for naught.

Obviously a Mario movie written by Matthew Fogel with oversight from Miyamoto was never gonna be great but this further solidifies my opinion that they should have convinced Miyamoto to work on a Star Fox VR ride.

I know the Sonic 2 movie got a 47, I loved that movie. Probably my most favourite movie of last year, so I'm not worried at all.
Then again my second favourite movie is Jurassic World: Dominion so maybe my opinion isn't that valuable LOL
I’m stupid lol

I think the meltdown here is a little overblown. Movie critics were never going to like overly gamey things and the score can go up. That being said…

TEAM FROG ON TOP BABY

It's at 54% now, so that's at least better than 46% lol

That said I don't really care I know I'll enjoy it either way, just like the two Sonic movies

Thought this was common knowledge https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-05-18-1993138174-story.html

While I’m at it the only way you hear Mickey Mouse mentioned in this decade is to describe sports teams that did well during COVID due to the Lakers winning the finals in Walt Disney World. Disney keeps making flops, where Mickey at though, exactly. Some of these reviews talk as if videogames and Mario are extremely niche and only for weird nerds or some shit, are you kidding me. Mario is legit a cultural icon, remember how they announced the Tokyo Olympics? Exactly

Movie critics were never going to like overly gamey things
One would argue that the most gamey movie of all time, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, is currently sitting at a comfortable 82% on RT

oh damn... how did they messed it up. It's their opening movie for more cinematic project and it fails. It will do well at the box office... but like goddamn you want a product that has quality.

Every time I check the OP of this thread and the first thing I see is a screenshot of the RT of a different movie I lose it just a little more

From what I've gathered, the negative reviews have focused on the thin plot, overly breakneck pacing, bad humor and weird licenced music inclusions.

These aren't issues that have arisen due to the movie being gamey or a video game adaptation - it just means the execution was found to be lacking. A Mario movie can easily have a good plot, more considered pacing, better jokes and no licenced music - the negative reviews just believe they did not.

From what I've gathered, the negative reviews have focused on the thin plot, overly breakneck pacing, bad humor and weird licenced music inclusions.

These aren't issues that have arisen due to the movie being gamey or a video game adaptation - it just means the execution was found to be lacking. A Mario movie can easily have a good plot, more considered pacing, better jokes and no licenced music - the negative reviews just believe they did not.

Yeah, this strikes me not as people disliking the movie because it's based on a game, but because it's not good.

I'll still give this a watch whenever it hits streaming. Planning on having some drinks and watching the Mario anime movie, the live action Mario movie, and ending with the new one. Gotta directly compare them to see which one is the best. I hope it at least manages to be better than those Sonic movies!

Thought this was common knowledge https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-05-18-1993138174-story.html

While I’m at it the only way you hear Mickey Mouse mentioned in this decade is to describe sports teams that did well during COVID due to the Lakers winning the finals in Walt Disney World. Disney keeps making flops, where Mickey at though, exactly. Some of these reviews talk as if videogames and Mario are extremely niche and only for weird nerds or some shit, are you kidding me. Mario is legit a cultural icon, remember how they announced the Tokyo Olympics? Exactly
Eh...I thought Mickey gained back some ground with the new Mickey cartoons. They seemed popular enough and gave an edge back to Mickey so he isn't so bland compared to the previous incarnation.

I think the meltdown here is a little overblown. Movie critics were never going to like overly gamey things and the score can go up. That being said…

TEAM FROG ON TOP BABY

It should have been a priority to make this game appeal to people that aren’t immediately familiar with everything Mario. I assumed, much like their blue ocean aims in gaming, their theme park, etc. it’s about expanding mindshare.

I will never accept the excuse that because a movie is based on a game that it can’t have broader appeal. And I highly doubt they kicked off this initiative with the sole intent of appealing to existing Mario and Nintendo fans.

Eh...I thought Mickey gained back some ground with the new Mickey cartoons. They seemed popular enough and gave an edge back to Mickey so he isn't so bland compared to the previous incarnation.
If Mickey gained ground, it's probably from the pre-Kindergarten animated offerings from the last decade, that's huge among kids and parents, as is the merch.

While I’m at it the only way you hear Mickey Mouse mentioned in this decade is to describe sports teams that did well during COVID due to the Lakers winning the finals in Walt Disney World. Disney keeps making flops, where Mickey at though, exactly.
I think Mario and Mickey are pretty much at the same level of recognizability right now (although Mickey might be more transgenerational), but acting like the face of one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world, one that got in this decade two new (and great!) tv shows, two rides, that is still everywhere in the theme parks and on the ships, whether it be as a character, Mickey ears, Mickey shaped food, hidden Mickeys, etc, is somehow a noname next to Mario is pretty laughable.

One would argue that the most gamey movie of all time, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, is currently sitting at a comfortable 82% on RT

I think of that movie as more Edgar Wright than video gamey. Just his usual style of visual and callback humor v

If Mickey gained ground, it's probably from the pre-Kindergarten animated offerings from the last decade, that's huge among kids and parents, as is the merch.
I mean in recent years. Kingdom Hearts is a 20+ year old franchise at this point. The newer Mickey shorts that started in 2013 and continued in its newest incarnation in 2020 have seemed to have a far reach in appeal.

...or at least mobid curiosity. Never thought I'd see a vore scene in a Mickey Short before...

as a Nintendork who is only going to bother watching this if his wife drags him to see it, lol, and furthermore, lmao. I figured it'd be received somewhat better, but I may have overestimated movie reviewers' video gaming expertise. I'm sure everyone in this thread will enjoy it for what it is, and it at least meets the bar for "good kids movie"

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

Seems I've seen movies up until the Fallen tier funnily enough

Licensed music is not shocking when you consider the primary audience for the movie. They want kids singing along to tunes, and if you are not composing them specifically for the film, then licensed music is your only option.

That said, it would be a real bummer if there's not much actual Mario music in the film at all.

It would be nice if people talking about the movie could identify themselves on this cinephile iceberg meme. I don't really see this movie holding much appeal for anyone in the "outcast" crowd or below, considering how far up their own asses those people tend to be

where do lars von trier and haneke fall on this chart

Really curious about the audience reception. Seems they leaned heavily on fast pacing and an adherence to the movie really feeling like the games.

Critics have to watch a ton more movies and series than people usually do, so it's normal that their patience for plot-thin movies and clichés is... thin as well. It doesn't mean that their opinions should be always put on a pedestal, neither taken as just pretentious bullshit. Their opinions change over time, too.

If this movie is just a collection of references with no cohesion, it's a wasted opportunity. But i'm gonna wait and see for myself. I still have little doubt that this movie will be a pleasant experience for me in some form

In general, fast pacing is a win. It keeps you engaged.
hmmmmmm i dunno, engagement is more complicated than that for me. something fast paced can move so fast that you have no idea what happened, meanwhile a film like 2001 (probably my favorite of all time) i am engrossed on the super long shots.

Why do people care about licensed music? I don't get it
Well it's a 30+year old franchise with a lot of iconic/beloved music, ranging from chiptunes to fully orchestrated, so I'd imagine people were hoping to hear some of that orchestrated for the big screen. Or an original film score of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom