• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Oh great.

Edit: almost two weeks in some places? AHHG Why?
March 30th gang here! :cool:

(I will try to go at the premiere day, if possible! But I'm sure there will be a spoiler-free thread to discuss the movie by then!)

Really cool animation! And.. ugh.. Pratt still doing those unenthusiastic "wahoo"s... but I like the glow up from some of the previous Happy Meal animations they did (and I think some pointed that was done by artists at Illumination, no?)

Last edited:
i think at this point we should rename this thread the "official The Super Mario Bros. Movie discussion " thread

I'll probably only be seeing Mario and Spider-Man out of that list, and only Mario on release day.

I'm only planning to see Spiderverse and Mario there as well. I'm excited for Mario but a sequel to Spiderverse is such an easy #1. The original movie was such an incredible achievement for how it changed the animation industry for movies going forward. Like you can see it in the new Puss in Boots movie out this week how it shows more freedom in its animation style after the influence of movies like Spiderverse.

I obviously want to watch Spiderverse 2 and Mario for different reasons. Though it's funny to look back of how hesitant I was about the whole thing with Illumination, and I was constantly saying that they had one chance to convince me with a singular debut trailer.. and they did it! Gonna be watching as soon I can!

On a little tangent on the Happy Meal toys.. I decided to not get them; they are a bit on the cheap side, not even cute to put in a shelf; And I'm sure I'll be buying actual toys from store based on the movie anyway.

Though it's funny to look back of how hesitant I was about the whole thing with Illumination, and I was constantly saying that they had one chance to convince me with a singular debut trailer.. and they did it!
As opposed to the Sonic movie where we were hesitant, constantly saying they had one chance to convince us with a singular debut trailer, and when that trailer hit we were all "oh god this is exactly what we were afraid of!!!"

I’m the opposite on the Mario movie—I had no doubt it would be great from the beginning with Miyamoto deeply involved, and I was convinced that if any company would buck Hollywood trends with a video game movie, it’d absolutely be Nintendo, so I was very optimistic since it was announced. But then they revealed the casting and all that optimism faded for me. I still think the movie looks fine but I just cannot and will not ever get over the casting decision. It’s just not what I had hoped and expected of Nintendo at all. Even the Sonic movies did better by at least keeping Tails’ VA from the games…

To the Mario movie’s credit, it at least isn’t afraid to incorporate music from the games, so that’s something I guess. And they seem to be going all out with references, which is nice, though I would have greatly preferred for them to stick closer to the game canon when it comes to Mario’s origin and all. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the movie well enough, but I wish it was made with the same kind of approach that Nintendo takes for their games and such—marching to the beat of their own drum, irrespective of what other companies are doing, and not following all the same industry trends just because that’s what’s popular and make the most money.

I haven't even watched the newest Spider-Verse trailer - not that I'm not excited about it, but part of me almost wants to not watch too many trailers this time around so I'm more surprised when I go into it.

I haven't even watched the newest Spider-Verse trailer - not that I'm not excited about it, but part of me almost wants to not watch too many trailers this time around so I'm more surprised when I go into it.
same here. I watched the reveal teaser and then was like "Okay, good enough."

Oh.. I'm stupid! I just went back and checked the Game Awards clip and that's right! I guess, because it is just the SMB1 Overworld theme and not a medley like in the clip, I thought it was something else 😅
No worries, I was fooled by this too. The only thing that reminded me that it was from the trailer was how it ended on a bah

March 30th gang here! :cool:

(I will try to go at the premiere day, if possible! But I'm sure there will be a spoiler-free thread to discuss the movie by then!)
Ooh nooo! I spoke too soon! Movie was delayed to April 6th over here! 😭

Nintendo hates Europe once again

When the first trailer was shown back in October it was set that basically in the whole Europe the movie will be released way earlier. Starting March 22nd, way ahead of it's US April 7th launch, check this link

But now, only few of these places still have the March date there, many of them has been pushed to April 5th or 6th. link

More toy leaks! Horray!
SPOILER_tsC4xRfr.png

SPOILER_kmWyCRpR.png

SPOILER_Pqeo4CsP.png

SPOILER_z03xULdf.png

the van is interesting. wonder how much appearance it will have in the movie

watch them Forgotten Lands Bowser in the end

Goddamn, this Bowser redesign is awesome. I really hope it carries over to the games.

Seriously, every facet of Bowser I’m just in love with.

Genuinely, there are design elements from each of the movie designs that I wouldn’t mind them applying to the games. Bowser’s green scales seamlessly blending into the yellow for instance.

So DK just sounds like a regular dude? Couldn't they have had him try to sound even a little bit like a gorilla? What is up with the voice direction in this movie? The series is known for characters with over the top voices, it's way too bland imo

Last edited:
Wasn’t the original release date for the movie like late 2020 or early 2021? So it would line up with Super Nintendo world in Japan and 3DW+?

So glad they got a person to voice Mario who really understands the essence of the character.

He's supposed to sound like lethargy in human form, right?
Ironically Pratt was also cast as Garfield, who is supposed to sound like lethargy manifest.

I still maintain Garfield should be played by Nick Offerman

hell maybe even Mario

Hmm really, you've never heard a gorilla, or a portrail of a gorilla?
Well, certainly not just like a normal speaking voice for starters, maybe some grunts, more gruff.
The only two cartoon gorillas I had in my life were the OG Cartoon Donkey Kong, who sounded like a crooning musician even outside of musical numbers, and Optimus Primal, who sounded like a forty-something middle management corporal in a gorilla body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom