• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Me solving Alignment of the Circles without even trying.

download-1.jpg

It feels like I read a lot of complaints online regarding the Water Temple, but I just finished it and.... it's fun.

Maybe the extremely open concept threw some people off, especially those who want a return to the pre-BotW dungeons, but I thought the puzzles were pretty great and the combination of water plus low gravity was well-used. Maybe it was a bit short, but it was cool.
I had a good time. The thing is when you have a very limited set of dungeons using one of them with a temple like this feels more frustrating.

I had a good time. The thing is when you have a very limited set of dungeons using one of them with a temple like this feels more frustrating.
Fair enough.

I think that given Link has all abilities from the start, it can be really hard to make dungeons that are too different from one another, but they really succeeded this time around and the fact this is a more wide-open temple has something to do with that. It's a very different concept.

Hmmm. I’ve apparently gotten all the geoglyphs. (story spoiler) The next step in that questline feels like endgame stuff. I’m thinking I should finish the Regional Phenomena first before tackling Zel-dra. And clean out a buncha sidequests.

Hmmm. I’ve apparently gotten all the geoglyphs. (story spoiler) The next step in that questline feels like endgame stuff. I’m thinking I should finish the Regional Phenomena first before tackling Zel-dra. And clean out a buncha sidequests.
Can you even do anything more with it yet? I assumed you had to finish the regional quests first, since:

I went back to Impa in the Forgotten Temple and she says something like "Oh, there must be a way to return Zelda to herself, I'll go back to Kakariko Village now" and then when I go to Kakariko I can't actually find her and nothing seems different. I still can't access the final floating ring, either.

Probably everyone's figured this out already, but I discovered this on my own and I'm very proud of it:
When you find a bunch of explosive barrels, don't use them. Instead, fuse them together, go to your Autobuild history and make them a favourite. You now have summonable explosive barrels. Autobuild has a lot of range, so you can safely call them far from an enemy camp and drop them from above :)
Just have to add one to the pile here: this is an inspired idea! Thanks for sharing it, it's been super useful and super fun.

One of the few (only?) areas I feel TOTK is a step backwards from BOTW are the Shrine Quests. I loved Kass's riddles in the first game, having to figure out how to activate a Shrine was good fun. Here it just tends to be 'take this crystal and bring it here', 9 times out 10, which is a shame.

Otherwise, incredible game.

Can you even do anything more with it yet? I assumed you had to finish the regional quests first, since:

I went back to Impa in the Forgotten Temple and she says something like "Oh, there must be a way to return Zelda to herself, I'll go back to Kakariko Village now" and then when I go to Kakariko I can't actually find her and nothing seems different. I still can't access the final floating ring, either.
You can’t really do more but you can view the final cinematic for the quest independent of the regional quest.

One of the few (only?) areas I feel TOTK is a step backwards from BOTW are the Shrine Quests. I loved Kass's riddles in the first game, having to figure out how to activate a Shrine was good fun. Here it just tends to be 'take this crystal and bring it here', 9 times out 10, which is a shame.

I fully agree. I mean, most of the "get crystal to shrine" quests are interesting traversal puzzles that align nicely with the building aspect of the game. I especially like those that take place in the sky.

But yeah, those BotW riddles were awesome and there's nothing like that here.

Such a pity. Those were the best botw quests for me.

Talking to a Gerudo at the shelter: “Blond! No abs!”

Geez game, you didn’t have to call me out like that

Agreed. And I mean, the game is utterly massive and highly impressive, but still, the sky islands in which most of this takes place have to have been compromised compared to what they had originally envisioned...right? The mundane and often copy-pasted things, in most cases being the type of shrine quest you're describing, for 90% of the content in the sky is at times baffling. This can't be what they had in mind.

Whether it's a technical thing or time, or both, barely having anything of note there aside from some noteworthy main quest stuff can't have been it.

I wanted to beat this game before Street Fighter comes out but every time I decide to go do a main quest a dragon or something flies by and I end up on the other side of the map doing something completely unrelated for 4 hours straight again.

Agreed. And I mean, the game is utterly massive and highly impressive, but still, the sky islands in which most of this takes place have to have been compromised compared to what they had originally envisioned...right? The mundane and often copy-pasted things, in most cases being the type of shrine quest you're describing, for 90% of the content in the sky is at times baffling. This can't be what they had in mind.

Whether it's a technical thing or time, or both, barely having anything of note there aside from some noteworthy main quest stuff can't have been it.

The sky islands definitely feel a little under-utilised. I do enjoy the vibe up there and I love how Nintendo barely offer a way of getting to most of them, just telling you 'figure something out', but yeah, it's weird how there isn't a bit more to them. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to add a few extra land masses up there with more interesting stuff to do.

I think they said not having too many islands was a deliberate design choice so I dout it was time or tech constraints

I won't be able to play the game for a couple of weeks because I'll be in a forbidden country (the UK). These truly are the tears of the kingdom.
Who did it better?

I liked BotW's shrines but I love how TotK's represent Link's interior state and his work to cleanse himself of Ganon’s touch. Dimmed interiors styled after zen gardens, with faded white stone dirtied by black scales. When I first got to the end of one and found that statue of Rauru and Sonia I felt... sad—they’re posed like a married couple but they’re sitting in ruins—but the more time I spent in these shrines, the more that poignancy transformed into a sense of… well, zen. Evil and time are not insurmountable. Battling it is everyday work.

Oh and yeah the new song is awesome

This, though, is a clear flaw. BotW’s shrine quests were one of my favourite aspects of that game and TotK conversely goes completely overboard with the orb transport missions.

Just finished a quest that Skyward Sword fans should definitely do

Doing the quests for each of the goddess statues at the three springs

White Sword of the Sky. Basically the original Goddess Sword from SS

Yeah, I don't think the sparse sky islands are the result of tech restrictions or some kind of development mishap. I just think they wanted to put more concentrated challenges in the game and this was their solution. As for the why it was marketed so heavily, probably because it's just easier to do vs. showing off the Depths. If you're on the marketing team, you ask yourself: should we spoil the entire other underground map (even though they did hint at it and outright show it in some trailers/commercials) or the sky which looks nice and contributes to the sort of 'free' atmosphere the first game had? Choice seems easy to me.

I agree that they could have done more with the sky islands but at least I always enjoyed my time up there. It's just very beautiful and it is fun to figure out how to get around. Some shrines, puzzles, mini-bosses and obviously the temples are really cool. Seeing beautiful Hyrule below you all the time always offers a nice scenery.
Diving down never gets old, imo.

I think the third layer is really the problem.

Diving down there the first time is thrilling and the general oppressive atmosphere is truly great, the light mechanic is awesome and you can find a few cool environments/buildings down there for sure. I also think it is clever how they give climbing and (stal-)horse riding more purpose again compared to the overworld with all the flying around.
But in total it just feels like a procedural generated area.
Inverting the elevation of Hyrule, putting light roots in every shrine locations, randomly placing very similar looking small enemy camps, Zonai device areas, mining sites and way too many arenas for already known (mini-)-bosses,... makes this just feel like "recycling - the game". It's very disappointing to me.

Hyrule overworld has this handcrafted feel to it. There is a lot of thought put into every area and how people will explore them. You can see this effort and attention to detail in TotK too with all the caves and wells. Everything is placed with a purpose and there is a lot of environmental storytelling going on.
The depths are lacking that in most parts (biggest exceptions are the story-related areas). It mostly is just space to traverse not things to discover. More interesting looking structures are copy pasted over the map and after a while it all blends together and lost all its magic for me. Loot is mainly DLC gear from BotW which is a bit weird.
Feels like they just wanted to be able to say " the map is more than twice as big now", which doesn't fit to everything else this game offers mechanically and the team achieved with BotW and in other aspects of TotK.

Might be a bad take for many, but I honestly think the game gets worse with the depths being that big.
They should have reduced the area by 60% so the rest can standout as more unique.

Yeah, I don't think the sparse sky islands are the result of tech restrictions or some kind of development mishap. I just think they wanted to put more concentrated challenges in the game and this was their solution. As for the why it was marketed so heavily, probably because it's just easier to do vs. showing off the Depths. If you're on the marketing team, you ask yourself: should we spoil the entire other underground map (even though they did hint at it and outright show it in some trailers/commercials) or the sky which looks nice and contributes to the sort of 'free' atmosphere the first game had? Choice seems easy to me.
Yeah, they also explained that they are sparse per designer choice in the developer interviews

"The new actions and sky area were such novelties to us that we added one sky island after another to test out the different gameplay elements," Fujibayashi said. "Then one day, the designers scolded us. They said we'd made the skies messy by adding too many islands."

I think having too many sky islands would have cluttered up the view. Sonic Frontiers had this issue with all the sky rails just hanging out. The sky islands are basically shrines (and many of them do have one on them). It's clear Nintendo wanted you to think about how you move about the islands, how to get higher, or how to get enough distance to travel to over there. While most of the ground map you just kind of run by, you're asked to think thoroughly invested each sky island. I don't think they wanted just another big map that happens to be above the old map.

Nintendo kept a lot from the marketing but the sky islands would one thing that would hard to keep secret. Fans would have spotted them right away in the footage of the surface so they might as well leaned into the sky aspect in the marketing while the underground could easily remain hidden.

So Zelda stole our house I suppose
i believe is kinda of implied Zelda and Link is living together as a couple, Nintendo just dont want to confirm Zelink is official in Tears of the Kingdom, even with severals NPC and this fact kinda implling they are a couple together now

Don't know how many hours in but I did 3 dungeons and am saving Gerudo for last. Overall favorite phenomenon so far was the Goron regional phenomenon.
my order of the regional phenomena will be wind, fire, water and lighting, but in the moment i kinda of focusing on getting the side content first before i do all regional phenomena main quest

Yes, if you reach the point in the game where you're supposed to go fight the final boss now, Purah's like "hmmm where could he be? Maybe talk to Josha?"
Damn, I guess I got lucky and started the Master Kohga questline really early (my first full night in the depths 2.5 weeks ago) because I still have only done one regional phenomenon, lol. The freedom of this game is nuts
Me solving Alignment of the Circles without even trying.

download-1.jpg
Lend me your power! I was utterly confused when I first walked in that shrine and haven't been back since
Just finished a quest that Skyward Sword fans should definitely do

Doing the quests for each of the goddess statues at the three springs

White Sword of the Sky. Basically the original Goddess Sword from SS
Are these the three springs in Hebra? If so, any pointers on where to look for the other two besides Sturnida?

Damn, I guess I got lucky and started the Master Kohga questline really early (my first full night in the depths 2.5 weeks ago) because I still have only done one regional phenomenon, lol. The freedom of this game is nuts

Lend me your power! I was utterly confused when I first walked in that shrine and haven't been back since

Are these the three springs in Hebra? If so, any pointers on where to look for the other two besides Sturnida?

They're the three spring Zelda visits in the memories of Breath of the Wild. One is in Akkala, one in Lanayru, and one in Feron

It's pretty fun talking to NPCs and learning about how much of Link they know. There are many who don't know who Link. Then there are those who know of some guy who acts as Zelda's body guard. There are those who known of Link by name but haven't met the legendary swordsman in person. And then there are those who know who he is and have met him personally in the past.

They're the three spring Zelda visits in the memories of Breath of the Wild. One is in Akkala, one in Lanayru, and one in Feron
Wow, I've played 100 hours and haven't even discovered this questline yet. Gotta love it!

my order of the regional phenomena will be wind, fire, water and lighting, but in the moment i kinda of focusing on getting the side content first before i do all regional phenomena main quest

I did Rito, Zora, then Goron, and like I said, yet to do Gerudo.

I figure too many sky islands would've made the skybox look way too busy, but I don't know why they didn't just take some giant chunks of the land and make them hover a bit. Still within reach from ground level, but with chasms or whatever underneath them

Anyway completely separately, overworld boss spoiler:
The scary one... If you know you know
I basically skipped the entire Lomei Labyrinth by approaching it from above. Did the shrine in the middle, but the entrance to the chasm was still blocked off. So I figured maybe you actually need to beat the boss outside and said fuck it, gotta fight gloom hands sooner or later

But I did not expect Phantom fucking Ganon lol. Almost shat my pants. I did beat him though, with all whopping five of my hearts, mostly by spamming bullet time bomb arrows

Is there any point to engaging them around the world other than the weapons they drop? Because he scary lol

I got the first item of a set after 80h and now I'm dying to know what happens when I get the others, but have no idea where to look for them.

I got the first item of a set after 80h and now I'm dying to know what happens when I get the others, but have no idea where to look for them.
I’m sort of in the opposite situation:

I know I need two other parts of the Yiga uniform to get into a door in the desert, but I have no idea where to find them!

Quoted by: Leo
I’m sort of in the opposite situation:

I know I need two other parts of the Yiga uniform to get into a door in the desert, but I have no idea where to find them!

Vague hint that might not even be a hint:

In the Yiga hideout you probably found there is a map with some spots marked, I think those are the other hideouts are, so the rest of the outfit are probably there (haven't checked myself, but I think it's very likely)

Thoroughly checked the map for every shrine I am missing. I was able to pinpoint where 6 of them are: the surface ones, thanks to the lightroot trick. The other 3 are somewhere in the sky and I have no idea where to look. It's going to be a fun adventure for me tomorrow up there.

I'm fucked up

Wow

I am so shocked right now. I actually cried while extracting the master sword ahah. Honestly I could have figured it out sooner but I only saw the light dragon once from veeeery far away so it didn't immediately click when Rauru's sister mentioned the dragonification, but once I saw Zelda saying that she realized her role in the past I started going "no no no no no noooooo".

This moment is honestly unmatched by botw for me, so magical amd emotional. I got so panicked that I tried to speak to every relevant npc to get some insight or info on how to save her, also Impa sweetie you're a liar.

Now it's 2am so bed, but I definitely had to share this feelings, what a game oh god.

The light/mirror sky island in Tabantha was good fun, it gave me serious Wind Waker vibes which is always a good thing.

Not sure how Nintendo expected people to get up there though if they're early-ish in the game. I went to the top of the Wind Temple and flew/glided all the way there, and only just made it. With a battery and a stamina potion. I always feel like I'm cheesing the game when it comes to getting to the various sky islands.

You really have to love the little defined but unscripted interactions in this game. Found Meeshy walking along a road, but she ran and hid because a Chuchu appeared. Dispatched it and got 20 rupees for the trouble.

Of course, I already looted the spoils from the cave she's looking for.

Finding more Shrines after the postgame and not only do the caves in Death Moutain have lava and magma to give them a unique atmosphere, there's one with a big minecart rail system you navigate through. So damn cool.

there's one
That was frigging awesome. (cave spoiler) Even did something similar to the trailer where I was exchanging blows with an enemy on another minecart.

I always feel like I'm cheesing the game when it comes to getting to the various sky islands
I feel like that’s exactly what Nintendo wants you to do

This game kind of feels infinite
Clocked in at more than 120 hours and there are regions I have barely taken a step into. This will easily surpass my BotW playtime of 165 hours.

I'm fucked up

Wow

I am so shocked right now. I actually cried while extracting the master sword ahah. Honestly I could have figured it out sooner but I only saw the light dragon once from veeeery far away so it didn't immediately click when Rauru's sister mentioned the dragonification, but once I saw Zelda saying that she realized her role in the past I started going "no no no no no noooooo".

This moment is honestly unmatched by botw for me, so magical amd emotional. I got so panicked that I tried to speak to every relevant npc to get some insight or info on how to save her, also Impa sweetie you're a liar.

Now it's 2am so bed, but I definitely had to share this feelings, what a game oh god.
It's going to stick with me for awhile. I still have the feels when I think about it.

I’m so used to this game not doing the environmental riddles that I was surprised when they did throw one at me Zora area

Last edited:
I don't think there is an issue of there not being enough sky islands.

What I can understand is the desire of having more unique things to do with the sky islands we did get.

I feel like you don't get to really explore and discover on the sky islands that much. Generally, what you see when you're paragliding over to one, is what you get once you get there. Therefore, sky islands often feel like just a small area to grab useful and unique-to-sky-island (or uncommon in the overworld at least) items rather than explore them, although some sky islands are an exception.

The overworld and depths on the other hand are explore-galore.

Back
Top Bottom