• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

So a question regarding the depths

are there actually any non Yiga NPC in there? (not counting the robots). Cause everytime I see an explorer I already now it's a trap. Not that I'm complaining becasue it's always funny how every conversation turns into "NOW YOU DIE LINK", but still I know I've left 2 o 3 (marked in my map of course) because I'm not in the mood to fight

how the fuck am i supposed to beat the Phantom Ganon
General advice on how to defeat anything.

B7BD6330427B0BC637061911C92E563332D415E7

how the fuck am i supposed to beat the Phantom Ganon
I can't tell if you're just ranting or actually want hints. If you want hints, I'll put some below in spoiler-within-spoiler style:
For the first phase, just try to create some distance and fight one at a time, and let the Sages distract the others. Then just fight it like a normal enemy. It can't be stunned, so don't stay near it too long. Single-handed sword and shield seems to be the best option IMO.

For the second phase, immediately shoot the one spewing Gloom in the head. Then proceed as before. Occasionally one of them might spewing Gloom again - always headshot it immediately to stop that, because the Gloom spreads rapidly and it's very easy to get overwhelmed and killed by it.

I can't tell if you're just ranting or actually want hints. If you want hints, I'll put some below in spoiler-within-spoiler style:
For the first phase, just try to create some distance and fight one at a time, and let the Sages distract the others. Then just fight it like a normal enemy. It can't be stunned, so don't stay near it too long. Single-handed sword and shield seems to be the best option IMO.

For the second phase, immediately shoot the one spewing Gloom in the head. Then proceed as before. Occasionally one of them might spewing Gloom again - always headshot it immediately to stop that, because the Gloom spreads rapidly and it's very easy to get overwhelmed and killed by it.
It was more like a rant but this for sure will be helpful, thanks a lot!

For the second phase, I already made some Gloom resistance food so that will be helpful.

I'm near the end of the game, does anyone have a link to the OST that plays

When you reach the Forgotten Foundation, go through the Imprisoning Chamber and dive towards Gloom's Lair (just before you fight the army)? It has the reversed lyrics and they become more prevalent when you advance.

Upgrading the champions tunic-
If I knew I needed a light dragon scale or even that it existed, I would have grabbed one when I was on the damn thing. Now I’m waiting for it to reappear, I haven’t seen it since!

I do quite like the way equipment is handled in this. I’m still mostly wearing the Hylian set I bought at the start of the game, as it looks cool and the upgrades I’ve been able to do haven’t left me feeling like I need to move to a better set. It’s cool that the armour is more about which buff you want, so it’s not really a case of early sets not being viable later. Found the
soldier
set too but need some stuff to upgrade it. Some of the sets seem to really need a completionist mindset to find when they are split all over the map.

Upgrading the champions tunic-
If I knew I needed a light dragon scale or even that it existed, I would have grabbed one when I was on the damn thing. Now I’m waiting for it to reappear, I haven’t seen it since!

I do quite like the way equipment is handled in this. I’m still mostly wearing the Hylian set I bought at the start of the game, as it looks cool and the upgrades I’ve been able to do haven’t left me feeling like I need to move to a better set. It’s cool that the armour is more about which buff you want, so it’s not really a case of early sets not being viable later. Found the
soldier
set too but need some stuff to upgrade it. Some of the sets seem to really need a completionist mindset to find when they are split all over the map.
Woah where do you even get the Champion Tunic?

So Nintendo, what're you going to do about the OST this time around? Can we get it released outside of Japan? Perhaps launch it on streaming services?

Finally back at work, don't know how you all did it, who worked while this game released. Co-worker asked if I did anything while I was away, and I said nothing special comes to mind, can't think of anything I was doing the last 10 days.

Zelda-PY-pt.jpg

Woah where do you even get the Champion Tunic?
Aargh sorry if I’ve spoiled that. My bad.

I was poking around in
Hyrule castle after finding clues in Link’s old house in Hateno

I also found nearby another piece of equipment-
the Hylian Shield! Need to get to the castle docks, which needs a boat to get in to a passage at the NW part of the moat.

Well that was genuinely disappointing.

I got so excited once I finally discovered the Spirit temple only to find out that there's only a boss battle and that's it. Definitely the biggest disappointment so far in the game.

Granted, the construct factory body parts felt like mini dungeons and were enjoyable but I kinda wish the spirit temple had something you know? Oh well.

I’m so broke I spent most of the game doing shrines just for the free heal at the end.

Sidequest related to the settlement on the SE coast
I rebuilt the fishing village and the best part of the fetch quest was getting a free bed and a meal every time I go back there.

I can’t remember a Zelda where I was so poor due to the price of arrows. My limited Bomb supply is probably an indication I should more time in caves though.

I got so excited once I finally discovered the Spirit temple only to find out that there's only a boss battle and that's it. Definitely the biggest disappointment so far in the game.

Granted, the construct factory body parts felt like mini dungeons and were enjoyable but I kinda wish the spirit temple had something you know? Oh well.
I think the intent was for the entire thunderhead isle + construct factory + depths navigation + boss to essentially be the “dungeon.” Nintendo seems to be trying to get away from a dungeon just being a single building in TotK.

FWIW, I thought the whole sequence was really cool but I can understand how fans of the old formula are left somewhat disappointed.

My third tear ended up being the spirit one. It was a really good adventure. No idea how is the normal story path for this. Mine:

• I was exploring depths and arrived at the parts factory. I visited all factories but could't use my hands to interact. I got puzzled by it and started looking for stuff nearby for the head(the factories name were leg and arms) and didn't find. Construct NPC told me about dragonhead island.
  • I noticed I was below faron woods, went to Lakeside Stable and saw a debris falling. Used it to reach the sky and the island had the same name.
  • Arrived at a crazy thunderstorm and discovered the head location(with almost 0% of visibility). I had exactly the amount of required hearts.
  • From here onward I proceeded with the normal quest path I believe.
I liked how the game didn't shy away from blocking me if I don't have the requirements but also guided me for the tools I need.
Also noticed the way I got master sword isn't the only one. I saw all memories and went for the dragon. When I saved Deku Tree I already had it and the quest he would give me was complete. Mineru also gave me some master sword quest that was completed.

Not sure how I feel about the game. While it has a lot of improvements over botw it doesn't have that wow factor.
Had a lot of expectation for the sky and in the end it had only puzzles(lol at me expecting villages and even some civilizations like wind tribe).

Story wise, again the important stuff happened in the past and the game feels too disconnected from Zelda lore for my tastes(like botw). And the sets from previous games feels more like fan service than having a lore reason (the same as botw but as it was amiibo only it was easier to ignore from canon). At least I'm enjoying the cutscenes.

I only finished two dungeons. I really liked the first(fire) but when I went to wind and saw the goal is the same(5 lock thing) I got really disappointed. Now I'm expecting the next ones to be like this (hope to be wrong). For some reason I only remebered about it after wind dungeon but the situation is even worst as I completely forgot that find N stuff was the central mechanism of Divine Beasts. No reason to be formulaic like this. At least they have different theme and I prefer the soundtrack more, as I really like ambience for dungeons.

Depths overstayed its welcome and got bored on my last couple of visits to it.

Korok seeds back is a bummer, no patience for "take me to my friend" quests. First 3 times were fun now I just ignore it.

Menu usage is worst than BOTW and it really sucks picking an element to fuse with arrow. As you do this all the time the experience is terrible. At least sort by most used helps.

I'm using sky to traverse visit hyrule points of interest 90% of the time. Most of times I was able to reach the tower top from the sky instead of having a journey to reach them. This journey was fun in BOTW.

Survival aspect is better imo. I am always missing arrows and low on food.

I really love ascend and it's a pity it was introduced in a world we already know. Best ability since ALBW.
Ultrahand is great but I'm the type of person who prioritize the goals so I make some simple shit that works and don't waste too much time on it. And the game doesn't require much of you in this sense(at least until now).

Wrapping up, I think people already mentioned but this game is definitely closer to Galaxy 2 than Majora's Mask type of sequel. Though as someone who don't like BOTW as much as other Zelda games I'm a bit pessimistic about my next hours until finishing it.

Last edited:
You can do that even before beating any of the dungeons
I should clarify, I already (mechanics spoiler) bought what I needed from the one in Lookout Landing, so I was looking for another statue because I didn't want to spend my Poes on Muddle Buds. Got myself a nifty Tunic of the Depths!

Caves are the best addition in TotK IMO
Absolutely my favorite addition to the map. Like I said in a previous post, you never know what you're gonna find when you enter one. Some of them are pretty dang big, too!

I totally cheesed one of the objectives in the fire temple
Honestly I cheesed most of it. I saw the intended solution and thought, what if I tried something more complicated?

Does it have to be done in that specific place? It's not working for me elsewhere.
No, I could do it every time I was paragliding. Thank you @bellydrum for helping me attain wealth beyond measure haha

Finally back at work, don't know how you all did it, who worked while this game released. Co-worker asked if I did anything while I was away, and I said nothing special comes to mind, can't think of anything I was doing the last 10 days.
145 hours is pretty damn impressive though, even with planned leave.

I clocked 100 hours while working full-time (8-9 hours each work day), and lost a lot of sleep (and a lot of my partner's patience with me).

Worth it though.

I played TotK nearly 45 hours and I've felt like it's been a bit of a job. Going to slow down and screw around in the game a bit more. Just got to Zora's Domain (did Rito Village quest line first, doing Zora's quest second, then doing Goron's third, and finishing with Gerudo).

I think the intent was for the entire thunderhead isle + construct factory + depths navigation + boss to essentially be the “dungeon.” Nintendo seems to be trying to get away from a dungeon just being a single building in TotK.

FWIW, I thought the whole sequence was really cool but I can understand how fans of the old formula are left somewhat disappointed.

The game files for all of that are lumped together so yeah, it's clear Nintendo doesn't want the dungeons to be viewed in a vacuum anymore, and as a classic Zelda fan, I'm ok with that. For the traditional experience, it's only going to truly feel like one in its entirety if it's made like the older games.

That being said, for classic Zelda fans who really care about the puzzles, the Shrines are the closest you're going to get, and many of them are very good.

Question about Lost Woods:

I read the old trick doesn't work anymore, and I'm getting a hunch that progress in that area is story-gated this time around. Is my hunch correct? If not, may I please have a vague idea of where I start being nudged in that direction?

I played TotK nearly 45 hours and I've felt like it's been a bit of a job. Going to slow down and screw around in the game a bit more. Just got to Zora's Domain (did Rito Village quest line first, doing Zora's quest second, then doing Goron's third, and finishing with Gerudo).
I think that’s why I have so many hours into the game, just taking my time doing all the side quests and exploring the surface and the sky, I’ve spent most of my time in caves, wells and re exploring Hyrule surface again.
For awhile I was only following the story which was pretty good, but once I started out exploring with no objective and just discovered stuff again all on my own, the game became BotW for the first time all over again.
Exploring every nook and cranny in each area has really paid off, I’m never without arrows and always have $$$

Last edited:

I read the old trick doesn't work anymore, and I'm getting a hunch that progress in that area is story-gated this time around. Is my hunch correct? If not, may I please have a vague idea of where I start being nudged in that direction?
Progress isn't gated, but you are nudged there later.

Finally completed 1(one) dungeon, after much preparation, except for the preparation where I had intended to cash in the 16 LoBs I was holding onto

Still not sure what they wanted me to do with the water, but big stick wins again

IIRC, you could make a vehicle where the wheels faced sideways and lushe against the walls above the water to move

Just activated all of the Towers and collected every Tear. I have so many emotions and thoughts swirling in my head. Tomorrow, though, I'm going into the Depths for a bit and then I think I'll go back to the Gazette since I haven't really done anything there.

I'll get to the Regional Phenomena quests... eventually.

Rito Village snowed under has such a fantastic atmosphere, it really does feel so desolate and sorrowful.
Like BOTW, the game excels at creating a rich sense of place through both its audiovisual presentation and soft worldbuilding.

It's not story related.

Remember there are 3 levels to the world.

It's not story related.

Remember there are 3 levels to the world.
I felt all clever when I discovered how to get in there, then did the shrine and immediately regretted my actions when I dropped into the tree

People who still don’t think this game is a masterpiece clearly haven’t found out you can fuse sand seal plushies yet.
So far my favorite is getting attacked by Lizalfos and Moblins in a camp where they're all using weapons fused with cooked bass on the end

I felt all clever when I discovered how to get in there, then did the shrine and immediately regretted my actions when I dropped into the tree
That was the first set of Gloom Hands I managed to beat (not first try) as I had a decent bow and was pretty loaded up on bomb flowers and arrows. Imagine my surprise when I "won"

Seems I have 45 hours of playtime so far. I’ve only completed one dungeon and 32 shrines so far. Still feel like I have a lot of game left ahead of me. For comparison, my BOTW playtime is about 125 hours.

Still not sure what they wanted me to do with the water, but big stick wins again

It's actually easier than it seems. You can attach the big wheels on the raft so that it just rides along the top. You just need to be precise and use four wheels. If you use two it will fall too early.

I believe the intended solution is to attach planks to wheels to create two propellers on the sides of a raft, essentially creating a motorboat.

My current highlight is running into some Constructs facing off with a bunch of Bokoblins during a thunderstorm. I could just sit and watch the game do all the work for me 😁

Zelda-PY-pt.jpg
Nice, so how much did you complete the game at that moment?

Went down one of the chasms in the Northeast Akkala region and got one of the treasure map rewards

The Biggoron Sword?!?! YO!

Switch tells me I'm 55 hours in. I haven't even done the Goron, Zora, or Gerudo dungeons yet. I'm never finishing this game lmao.

Spoiler tagging my thoughts on a side quest in a certain area. Not really a spoiler, but idk what people consider one anymore, so playing it safe:
The Hudson and Mattison side quest in Tarrey Town had me genuinely misty-eyed?? I love that some of the chunkier side quests get cute ending cutscenes. Also, some neat Gerudo lore.

The split of the main quests is so weird

Like why is the Zora one split into 5 small main quests (some of which take literal seconds to complete) in addition to the overall “Sidon of the Zora” one, while the others I’ve done (Goron and Rito) just have one big one lol

Back
Top Bottom