• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Like BOTW, I felt I really had to push through the prologue to appreciate what it's doing. Now that I'm running through Hyrule and exploring I find myself playing for hours at a time and have to force myself to stop. And I've like. Barely done anything yet lol

I still haven't even really built a vehicle yet outside of the most basic stuff.
I will say the prologue/tutorial of TOTK is far worse than BOTW's. it lacks the elegance and economy of conveyance the Great Plateau had, and really soured my early outlook on the game. In contrast, with BOTW, I was on board from minute one, because of how much I loved the Great Plateau itself.

But yes, like you, once I got past that initial hump and actually got to the adventure part of things, it has been almost impossible to tear myself away from the game. The sheer scope defies any manner of articulate expression.

So where is the cave the Rito is talking about at the Sahasra Slope Tower?? Can't see it, but he obviously wants me to get the mushrooms

Using the Recall ability in combination with UltraHand has made me really love the ability. I took advantage of it a lot today.

I fell like I just got lucky just randomly coming upon an ability that is a game changer for me. I mean I just happen to go that way, I could have gone another 30 hours and never come across it. I have been playing almost 30 hours already and I feel like I have accomplished almost nothing. I have like 7 areas opened up in the depths but I haven’t really explored them yet, mostly just running for my life so far. Every time I open up a new area, there’s like 10 more new ones around it to discover and my mind still hasn’t fully comprehended just how massive this game is, but it keeps telling me I NEED MORE, MORE, MORE and the game keeps on giving.

So where is the cave the Rito is talking about at the Sahasra Slope Tower?? Can't see it, but he obviously wants me to get the mushrooms
It’s in the hill the tower is on top of. Just look around the base of the hill, it’s not far from the tower itself.

My history of playing far too many puzzle and troll levels in Mario Maker has me bringing every ultra hand item into the next room during shrines in hopes of being able to do some kind of cheese strat.

This is such an inspiring sequel.

Like yes they added a ton new, but keeping what they kept the same just WORKS. Like it just feels like an extremely natural continuation, I don’t even know how to explain it

And THAT is, paradoxically, risky as hell imo

Completely disagree with calling something "bad level design" the moment a problem becomes hard to solve. That's a terrible way of thinking.

First of all, my partner, my friend, and I all came up with three separate ways of approaching the third shrine. You have the tools, you just need the creativity. That's the test. It was designed exactly the way it was on purpose.

For one, just.... stick some logs together to make a ladder to climb up the ice wall. That alone is an extremely simple solution.

Secondly, you don't need to walk all the way back to the Temple of Time because, just like with the previous two shrines, as soon as you exit there is an obviously telegraphed place where you can use your new ability. Ascend up the wooden platform next to the shrine to fine a Wing that you can use to fly back to the shrine in less than a minute.

I don't understand why people immediately jump to criticizing a games "level design", as if not only this game wasn't in development for six years, but also as if they'd just randomly half-ass a whole section of the tutorial island.
In retrospect, I should have given myself time to calm down before posting.
Frustration tends to get the better of me as I find it really hard to regulate my emotions sometimes.
I'm sorry.

Can I just say that

everywhere underground-ish like caves, wells, and the chasms are amazing? I especially love the caves, damp, moss-ridden, Horriblin-infested, Bubbulfrog-hiding.

Speaking of chasms I think I need to integrate them into my gameplay loop more.

Can I just say that

everywhere underground-ish like caves, wells, and the chasms are amazing? I especially love the caves, damp, moss-ridden, Horriblin-infested, Bubbulfrog-hiding.

I literally just got there and it's crazy. The atmosphere is intense. I've never felt this sense of dread in a Zelda game before.

I was just doing this for the Purah Pad sidequest but I might spend some time down here... more distractions from the main quest lol

When will we get DLC announcement for Tears of the Kingdom?

Breath of the Wild got one before the game launched. (Very fun discussion there in the day). Tho it did feel odd how it was announced, like they needed the money now lol

Or will we get an expansion pass at all? I feel if it happens, Breath of the Wild DLC will get added to Expansion pack

In retrospect, I should have given myself time to calm down before posting.
Frustration tends to get the better of me as I find it really hard to regulate my emotions sometimes.
I'm sorry.
No need to apologize. Sorry for coming across so sharply; I reread it and I sounded pretty defensive. Hope you're having as good a time as I am. I just finished the Rito Village quest.

Did the dungeon in the north west and it's the first proper disappointment of the game for me. Step in the right direction, but still misses the mark. Fantastic boss fight though.

I am assuming the later dungeons follow the same structure, and that's fine as long as the complexity increases. Can someone tell me without spoilers if the other dungeons are better?

FwEF_GzaUAADAhh

Imagine walking, couldn't be me

Did the dungeon in the north west and it's the first proper disappointment of the game for me. Step in the right direction, but still misses the mark. Fantastic boss fight though.

I am assuming the later dungeons follow the same structure, and that's fine as long as the complexity increases. Can someone tell me without spoilers if the other dungeons are better?
Rito dungeon lead up: amazing, dungeon: great, dungeon boss: goat

goron dungeon lead up: great, gorn dungeon: okay, gorn dungeon boss: cool in theory

zora dungeon lead up: goat, zora dungeon: okay, zora dungoen boss is one of t he worst isn the series

gerudo dungeon lead up: great, grudo dengone good so far, gerudo dungeon boss idk.

i havent done anymore dungeons yet

also the sturcutrue changes slightly in zora and gerudo but imo for the worst, the zora dungeon is incredably easy , like to the point im surprised it wasnt the first one.

Just finished. Didn't do most of the content including a large amount of main story content, but I had my fill for now. GOTY (non-Pikmin category).

Finished the tutorial area.

If you use Ascend outside of the Temple of Time you can cross to the other side without opening the door. I didn’t test it but I wonder what happens if you do so…

Last edited:
There is just so much to do in this game. And I’m constantly finding things that seem incredibly important, they did a great job with rewards and exploration goodies, at least so far. And I’ve barely left central Hyrule much yet!

One thing I really appreciate is ramping up the items and reasons to explore and do everything, like the blue gemsin caves, the poes, and so on. I love it when games reward you for doing the things you want to be doing anyway, something Ys and Trails games are really good at, for example.

My favourite ability for sure.
Ascend gang rise up!

(No pun intended)
I love it! My only complaint is that the ceiling (also no pun intended) on it is a bit low, but I assume it had to be or it would break the game.

I streamed for a friend today who suggested we forgo building a car and just strap wheels  to the Korok. It's incredible how much leeway all the systems give you.
I love the feeling when you’re like “I’m certain this wasn’t even remotely how I was supposed to solve this shrine, but DAMMIT IT WORKED”

Took a little break from the game in order to get the limited Diablo 4 cosmetic, but I couldn’t stop thinking about it. The second I earned the required achievement I quit Diablo 4, turned off my PC, and launched TotK. It really is my happy place right now.

Eutoum Shrine might be the craziest one I did yet. They definitely intended for you to do this with more hearts, but it was very satisfying to pull off and not too tough once you learn the layout. I love how it incorporates "predator stealth" while also forcing you to make the most of your tiny resources to take out all the enemies. Though once you get the electric club you can pretty much cheese it since the robots are all weak to electric.

It also confirmed that Ascend is the best ability.

Just made it back to the surface and was reminded all over again how special this version of Hyrule is.
Foxes, deer, boar, squirrels, and all kinds of other animals going about their lives. The lush grass waving in the breeze. Seemingly straightforward enemy encounters turning into unique stories of their own through the game's emergent systems.
Man it feels good to be back.

Some of the enemies you encounter on the surface have given me legit heart attacks.

The pool of demon hands and the goddam tree that just gets up and starts attacking you… Jesus.

Decided to do the Gerudo mission first and this game is starting to become everything I wanted BOTW to be! I enjoyed BOTW but enjoyed is probably the best word to describe it. The caves and even the main dungeon design are a return to form and I love it! The fact that caves are like mini obstacle courses or beat em up sections to explore and they're scattered all over really make me excited to explore to find more. I haven't even touched the depths or the other floating islands yet (outside of one containing a sole chest)!

-Dungeon rant incoming-
I see people criticizing the dungeons because they're either "glorified Divine Beasts with new skins" or "just a bunch of shrines put together", but, especially for the latter compaint, aren't most Zelda traditional dungeons just a bunch a shrines put together? Each room in classic Zelda dungeons were usually a self-contained puzzle you had to figure out, and doing so would reward you with a key, or a quest item, which you would use to complete new "shrines" dedicated to that. The game pretty much has the same dungeon format as classic Zelda games, only it replaced the small keys, boss key, map, compass and dungeon item with (minor spoiler) 5 Macguffins like switches or things to power up. Exploring the rooms and using the environment and powers and companion ability to figure out how to access the ways to progress give me completely classic Zelda feelings. That's not even getting into the map having multiple floors instead of a weird rotating 3D thing also gives me the classic vibe

After Lost Landing, and the first chasm bit with the photograph, I’ve struck out south-east towards Karakiko for no real reason other than not wanting to go where I’m told yet. Found the tower just south of it, and that was fun, tunnelling beneath it to try and get in. Tried one of the sky archipelago sections with a ‘get the crystal here’ quest but gave up and will go back later. Tamed a horse and remembered how much fun it is to just ride around. Done a few shrines.

Honestly there’s so much to do, the only thing stopping analysis paralysis setting in is that there’s almost always something interesting within sight to check out.

Did one of those monster raiding quests. I completely forgot about the larger-scale battles from the trailer. It was so hype teaming up with other Hylians to take down Black Bokoblins and Moblins. You really have to be aware of your surroundings since those bastards can and will sneak up from behind you in the chaos of battle. Luckily the other guys will also draw aggro and get some hits in, so I ended up letting them tank while I jabbed at the enemies with a spear-spear.

Foxes, deer, boar, squirrels, and all kinds of other animals going about their lives
Hyrule is teeming with so much life now! I liked the tranquility of BotW but I also love this lively, dangerous Hyrule.

Some of the enemies you encounter on the surface have given me legit heart attacks.

The pool of demon hands and the goddam tree that just gets up and starts attacking you… Jesus.
Those goddamn hands. I entered a tree hollow thinking there was a Korok hiding there when those things suddenly slithered from the ground and started strangling Link to death. Good scare haha.

Did one of those monster raiding quests. I completely forgot about the larger-scale battles from the trailer. It was so hype teaming up with other Hylians to take down Black Bokoblins and Moblins. You really have to be aware of your surroundings since those bastards can and will sneak up from behind you in the chaos of battle. Luckily the other guys will also draw aggro and get some hits in, so I ended up letting them tank while I jabbed at the enemies with a spear-spear.

Hyrule is teeming with so much life now! I liked the tranquility of BotW but I also love this lively, dangerous Hyrule.

Those goddamn hands. I entered a tree hollow thinking there was a Korok hiding there when those things suddenly slithered from the ground and started strangling Link to death. Good scare haha.
Monster raiding sounds fun! Where can I pick up one of those quests? I’m not too far from the start, anything around Lost Landing?

One major thing I have noticed that’s different to BotW is the tone of the Hylians themselves. They aren’t scattered any more, there’s clearly teams of surveyors and scientists, scouts and soldiers all trying to do stuff. There’s rebuilding going on, they’ve got forts and materials going. It’s cool to see the Hylians themselves characterised here. They are (as an organisation around Lost Landing and the castle ruins at least), friendly, curious, organised, pragmatic, brave and smart, they just aren’t heroes. It’s cool to see them characterised with those traits alongside the Rito, Zoras and Gorons that share it, having rallied around Zelda.

I also popped into Hyrule Castle while I was there looking for the guard captain, and it was fun to run into a guard who had been posted there to keep thieves out and have him point out that, seeing as Link is actually from Hyrule Castle, he’s one of its few remaining residents so not exactly a thief!

Can I just say that

I remember arguing with people about whether this would be in the game or not lol. Like it's in the very first teaser trailer, Nintendo doesn't just put things in trailers that aren't part of the game.

Am I the only person that, upon seeing their first lot of building supplies including beams, planks and wheels, assumed you need to attach the wheels to the beams as axles, and then the plank to the two axles? It took me getting into a shrine to see just the wheels glued to the plank to think ‘huh, guess that works too’.

20 deads later but ...
those godamn pirates are dead. I'm assuming I wasn't suposed to be there with 5/6 hearts because everyhting kills you in one hit and enemies takes a lot of damage untill you glue weapons with their drops, but the moment the people mentioned pirates my mind was set. The enemies on the ship destroyed me like a paper doll so after some testing, you can use a gacha cannon from the waterfall with some positioning to bomb the pirate ship, took me like 30 min to clear the ship, but whatever it works. Also it's really shitty that if you die, all the enemies respawn in that part.

Feel like I need to jump in and just say i’m loving it so far.

Only one dungeon down but i’ve done over sixty shrines and a ton of side quests and exploration. I was concerned they wouldn’t be able to make the same Hyrule feel fresh; but between the skies, the caves and the depths there’s either something new to see at every corner, or you’re doing something new to get around. They nailed it. Stumbling into a random cave that happens to be super expansive perfectly recaptures that feeling of discovery all over again.

The four hand abilities each have more depth than the rune abilities in BotW combined; each on their own could’ve been a solid hook for a smaller scale sequel, but they all flow together so well; the best shrines so far have had me use at least two of them in conduction.

It’s been difficult to put it down these past three days; it’s so good at making you go “okay one more [shrine / cave / korok / etc].

Last edited:
Found something pretty cool in a chasm!
If you go down a chasm on the Great Plateau, there's a huge minecart system you can take in the semi-dark, it's fun and a little scary. Leads to a fairly important area too.

I’m not too far from the start, anything around Lost Landing?
The one I did was near Death Mountain because I somehow squirrel-brained my way there. But if I remember correctly there should be a raid to the south of Lost Landing, led by the guy called Hoz. Look for any tents too, usually the guys there will mention something about the monster hunting teams.

I remember arguing with people about whether this would be in the game or not lol
Maybe they thought they would be smaller areas or something? I dunno, haha.

It took me getting into a shrine to see just the wheels glued to the plank to think ‘huh, guess that works too’.
I just stick the wheels onto whatever. One of those Koroks with the big backpack? Wheel them away.

20 deads later but ...
those godamn pirates are dead. I'm assuming I wasn't suposed to be there with 5/6 hearts because everyhting kills you in one hit and enemies takes a lot of damage untill you glue weapons with their drops, but the moment the people mentioned pirates my mind was set. The enemies on the ship destroyed me like a paper doll so after some testing, you can use a gacha cannon from the waterfall with some positioning to bomb the pirate ship, took me like 30 min to clear the ship, but whatever it works. Also it's really shitty that if you die, all the enemies respawn in that part.
I stopped reading at (side quest spoiler) ”pirates are dead”. I’m keeping Lurelin in the back of my mind, along with the million other things catching my attention. This game man, this game.

The four hand abilities have more depth than the rune abilities in BotW combined
Agreed! Even Ascend is blowing my mind with how much it opens up the map, especially when you’re inside the cave systems.

Back
Top Bottom