• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (96)
OpenCritic (97)

Polygon (recommended):
These are moments where I’m gently reminded that true player freedom is, of course, a fallacy. Nintendo created this world, and I inhabit it. Weeks, months, or years from now, I may affect it in ways its creators didn’t intend, but still — I will be using the tools they provided. The brilliance of Tears of the Kingdom lies in how well it imparts the fantasy of player freedom. Sure, Nintendo shakes me out of the daydream every now and then, and in those moments, I see flashes of its old rigid self. But no matter: At some point, I’ll fully escape its watchful gaze.

CNET (no score):
Tears of the Kingdom is an amazing reminder of Nintendo's excellence in immersive design. Nintendo now has a real-life theme park in Super Nintendo World, but here is a tremendous, living, breathing, meticulously crafted world waiting to reveal its hidden stories and secrets. I feel like I've been granted an infinite ticket to Nintendo's Everlasting Gaming Gobstopper Part 2.

The Verge (no score):
When the first gameplay showcase for Tears was released, I wrote that the game, because of its sheer depth, was going to ruin lives. I still feel confident in that assessment, so clear your social calendars. But if you’re like me and were hoping for this game to, like Breath of the Wild, inspire a sorely needed feeling of wonder in our increasingly grim world, then the kingdom won’t be the only one shedding tears.

Console Creatures (recommended):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthwhile follow-up to Breath of the Wild because it builds on the world in several exciting ways. You’re encouraged to engage and tackle quests in a way that fits your playstyle while never feeling overburdened by the systems put in place.

British GQ (no score):
Nintendo had the envious task of following up on the greatest game ever made, and rather than consider an entirely new destination it made us savour the journey all over again. As a result, the deja vu never quite fully goes away, but Tears feels like one of the most daring sequels ever made. A game that is better than the original – even more so if you’ve never touched the original. If you have, it helps that Hyrule remains one of the most cohesive and exciting open worlds ever designed. That we get the opportunity to go back, and with such an extensive, expansive and exciting set of new tools at our disposal, cannot be understated.

LadiesGamers.com (loved):
Once again, Nintendo has proved why they, as a company, are still around and producing fantastic video games. The Legend of Zelda has always been a wonderful game series, and Tears of the Kingdom is no exception; Nintendo smashed this one out of the park. I love it, and everything that Nintendo has changed, updated, and improved on from BOTW is evident in their six years of Tears of the Kingdom development. If you only ever play one video game, it should be The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. This game is magnificent, gorgeous and outstanding. It is absolute bliss to be back in Hyrule, Tears of the Kingdom is a sublime experience. Two thumbs Up is our highest score, but it doesn’t feel like it’s high enough for Tears of the Kingdom; if I could, it would be a four thumbs up from me.

EDGE Magazine (10/10):
In reimagining Hyrule and reshuffling the tools you'll use to explore and to save it, Nintendo may not have quite reinvented the wheel. But this kingdom provides a wondrous space in which to consider how you just might.

IGN (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an unfathomable follow-up, expanding a world that already felt full beyond expectation and raising the bar ever higher into the clouds.

Metro GameCentral (10/10):
An excellent sequel and one of the best Zelda games ever made. A follow-up that builds upon and refines the achievements of the original, while adding many new and equally innovative ideas of its own.

GameSpot (10/10):
Tears of the Kingdom is a triumph of open-ended game design that pays homage to the best parts of the Zelda franchise's own storied history--and sometimes exceeds them.

Destructoid (10/10):
I loved nearly every minute of Tears of the Kingdom. From zooming up into the sky to spelunking in the depths, there’s way more to explore here, and I feel like I haven’t even scratched the surface outside of the main story and some key sidequests. But the real kicker that helps separate Tears from Breath of the Wild is its big swing power set. I felt like I was in control at all times, and had the ability to create my own path. For a series known for sequence-breaking that’s not just a perk; it’s a strong argument for why Tears of the Kingdom will be talked about for years on end, and may even top some favorite Zelda lists.

VG247 (5/5):
Although it takes place on the same map as Breath of the Wild (with a few key changes owing to the time-skip and Upheaval, of course), Tears of the Kingdom feels different enough from its predecessor thanks to the new powers and mechanics to stand all on its own. It’s a massive open world that feels dense and exciting without getting clogged up with icon fatigue, since so much of the play is based around physics interactions with the core mechanics, rather than rigid systems

God is a Geek (10/10):
Tears of Kingdom could end being one of the best games ever made, with unparalleled exploration that offers freedom and creativity on a scale never before seen.

Telegraph (5/5):
The long awaited follow-up to the seminal Breath of the Wild is an expected, inventive triumph for Nintendo's famous series

Nintendo Life (10/10):
It's impossible to talk about everything that makes The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom so incredible, and making many of those discoveries yourselves is part of the magic. It's also impossible to overstate just how much there is to do in Hyrule this time around. Much like its predecessor, this is your playground for the next however many years to come, with a little sprinkling of that older Zelda fairy dust mixed into Breath of the Wild's formula. It's a glorious, triumphant sequel to one of the best video games of all time; absolute unfiltered bliss to lose yourself in for hundreds of hours. We can't wait to see what the world will do with the game.

TrustedReviews (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom doesn’t stray too far away from the hugely successful template of Breath of the Wild. But by reinforcing its predecessor’s strength for experimentation with the new building mechanics, while also telling an engaging story and opening up new locations to explore, this is a perfect sequel to the greatest game to ever grace the Nintendo Switch.

Stevivor (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most creative, satisfying and rewarding games I’ve ever played, all within a familiar and greatly expanded Hyrule.

RPG Site (10/10):
The mad lads actually did it. Tears of the Kingdom is actually better than its predecessor

CGMagazine (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is easily the greatest open world game ever made, and may well be Nintendo’s finest achievement.

ComicBook.com (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy successor to Breath of the Wild and is easily a Game of the Year contender. In addition to making you fall in love with the world of Hyrule all over again, this game feels much more like a traditional Zelda game while retaining all of the charm and beauty of Breath of the Wild.

Checkpoint Gaming (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom finds a way to improve upon its predecessor in almost every way, remixing the format and forcing you to rewire your brain in genius ways to solve devilish puzzles, take on challenging bosses, and explore a dense, captivating open world absolutely chock-full of distractions and secrets. Like Breath of the Wild before it, Tears of the Kingdom is an incredible accomplishment in video games that is set to stay in our collective conscience for the next several years and beyond, and it's completely deserving of that honour.

GamesHub (5/5):
Breath of the Wild reinvented The Legend of Zelda. Tears of the Kingdom reimagines it once more, as a somehow more ambitious, freeform and creative game, with even greater highs – literally and figuratively. It’s a staggeringly eye-opening game that expertly cultivates the joy of exploration, discovery and believing in your own abilities.

Gamefa (10/10, review in Farsi):
Tears of the Kingdom is a one-of-a-kind open world and sandbox experience that vastly improves upon its predecessor in addition to introducing new features. This is an experience that relies on creativity and leaves you free to explore its world by building structures and using new strategies. trust me, you won't get tired of this game even after spending hundreds of hours exploring its world.

VGC (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom reinterprets Breath of the Wild for the better. Instead of removing all the aches and pains of that game, it completes the circle by adding gameplay-based solutions to annoyances and encourages you to let your imagination run free. Easily one of the very best games on Nintendo Switch.

Screen Rant (5/5):
If it's time to move on from the Tears of the Kingdom Hyrule that's now spanned two games, it hasn't overstayed its welcome. The memories this game is capable of creating just because of its ambitious systems mean that no two players will ever have the same experience - except that of joy, and the excitement that comes with unknown possibilities. Anyone worried that there would be some fatal flaw that came to ruin what seemed to be a can't-miss Switch launch can now rest easy. Tears of the Kingdom is a monumental achievement, and it's going to be talked about relentlessly for years to come.

TheGamer (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece that not only equals what came before, it does everything in its power to surpass it.

Dexerto (5/5):
Overcoming Breath of the Wild’s exceptional quality was never going to be an easy feat, but The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has achieved a small miracle. There is more creativity and choice than ever before, which will undoubtedly have a long-lasting influence on both the series and the wider gaming industry. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is not so much a tearful goodbye from its historic past, but a fresh new beginning – one that embraces the building blocks set down by its predecessor, and transforms them to further push this beloved action-adventure series ever forward.

Glitched Africa (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the ceremonious journey of the decade. Its awe-inspiring open world doubles up as a playground of fun thanks to a unique building system that brilliantly ties into every aspect of the game. There’s magic here – its an unforgettable tale.

Gamer.nl (10/10, review in Dutch):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom doesn't reinvent the wheel, it makes you the inventor of the wheel. This sandbox to mess around in will yield new discoveries for years to come. In Tears of the Kingdom you are actually continuously impressed. If not from the unparalleled game world and puzzles, then it is from your own inventiveness.

WellPlayed (100/100):
Tears of the Kingdom will overawe you with its scale and its imagination. It will demand your creativity and ingenuity in a way that few games would dare demand. It pays tribute to the things that have made this series so timeless, while also innovating so relentlessly that it will be the better part of a decade before any game is able to follow in its wake. Nearly four decades after The Legend of Zelda series made its debut, its latest instalment is a breathtaking high-point for the Zelda franchise, for Nintendo and for video games.

Atomix (10/10, review in Spanish):
It makes my heart happy to tell you that The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the best video games of all time, just as Breath of the Wild was in 2017 and will continue to be. The mastery that the Japanese company shows with this product makes even today's super AAAs feel like bland and empty experiences that aren't worth it. On the one hand, I'm worried about the crater that this game is going to leave and how everything we touch afterward feels tasteless, but at the same time, I'm glad that even with dozens of hours on me, I still feel like I'm There is still a lot to discover and experience, especially now that everyone will be able to fully enter. And yes, there is a clear Game of the Year winner. The discussion and contention is over.

Post Arcade (10/10):
I’m sorely tempted to review the 20th instalment in Nintendo Co. Ltd.’s 35-year-old Legend of Zelda franchise by simply giving it a perfect score and issuing a few words along the lines of “just go play this absolute gem of a game.” To give away more robs potential players of the joy of discovering its countless wonders for themselves.

Nintendo Insider (10/10):
The greatest legend that Nintendo has ever told, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a shining beacon of wondrous brilliance in an enviably storied franchise. Nintendo’s playful creativity and ability to surprise its players seemingly know no bounds, and it is a testament to the team’s hard work that a sequel can outpace its predecessor in such miraculous ways. I cannot sing the game’s praises enough, and this is a rare occasion where simply writing about it won’t ever do the experience that awaits you enough justice. Where the series goes next from here is anyone’s guess, but, when I didn’t think that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild could be surpassed, it’s clear that Nintendo is more than capable of achieving the impossible.

My Nintendo News (10/10):
Developing a sequel that's at least on par with a game that's widely considered to be one of the greatest of all time is no easy task. That being said, Nintendo has managed to not only meet my expectations, but exceed them far beyond what I ever could have imagined. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom recaptures the magic we felt while playing Breath of the Wild for the first time, taking what we loved about it to exciting new heights by switching up some of the mechanics. It's a perfect blend of freshness and familiarity, while still being accessible to newcomers. As long as you can look past the occasional framerate issues, Tears of the Kingdom is simply a masterpiece, making it a must have for every Switch owner young and old. Now if you'll excuse me, I have hundreds more Korok seeds to go find across Hyrule.

IGN Brasil (10/10, review in Portuguese):
It's pretty easy to get 100+ hours into this game and get lost in the immensity that is the world of Zelda. In addition to, of course, giving more prominence to the game's titleholder: Zelda.

Washington Post (4/4):
Ultimately, the lore isn’t the main attraction, and isn’t the reason the Zelda series has endured for almost half a century. What’s more compelling is the game’s nod to the collective story of how human imagination pushes us through our toughest challenges, and sometimes sends us soaring to heights unseen.

Guardian (5/5):
I feel as if I will never finish this game. Every time I think I’ve got a handle on it, it reveals a new expanse. I haven’t even mentioned the depths, the particularly dangerous pitch-black underground world that exists below Hyrule. (Man, I do not like it down there.) I am walking around looking at all the clutter in my house and imagining ways that I could fuse it together. I invite my kids on to the sofa with me to watch Link’s adventures, and we all scream as I’m pursued by a terrifyingly fast gloop-monster made of grasping hands. In an airport recently, surrounded by bored people staring at their phones, I was so absorbed in a labyrinth I’d found at the edge of the map that I nearly missed my boarding call.

SpazioGames (10/10, review in Italian):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the perfect sequel and the best game of the Nintendo Switch generation.

Areajugones (10/10, review in Spanish):
Is Zelda Tears of the Kingdom the most important game in the past 10 years? My answer is: Yes, it is. It's a game that we definitely cannot define with a bunch of words, since they wouldn't ever do it justice.

Vandal (10/10, review in Spanish):
A sequel that reinvents, improves and expands one of the most important masterpieces in the gaming industry to become the best adventure ever made.

Vooks (5/5):
Tears of the Kingdom is Nintendo's most grandiose game ever. It's now the best Zelda game ever crafted, and again one of the best games of all time. The two titles will go down in history as one of the best back-to-back releases in any media of all time.

The Enemy (5/5, review in Portuguese):
Superior to its predecessor in every way, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the true definition of an open world game. 'Open' not only for you to explore, but also for you to unmake and rebuild, only limited in ways that are hard to fathom. It is a monumental triumph of a media that's constantly reinventing itself, but rarely in such large strides.

Nintenduo (100/100, review in Spanish):
A unique experience in video games and a colossal expansion of what we knew in Breath of the Wild, with some moments that will leave you speechless and make you lose yourself in its world without even realizing it.

Player 2 (A+):
A masterfully crafted journey that encourages exploration and experimentation while guiding you on an epic adventure. The perfect next step for the beloved Zelda franchise.

Press Start Australia (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom builds upon Breath of the Wild's robust systems to offer an experience that eclipses the original in practically every way. Not only that, but it works incredibly hard to restore some of the things lapsed players might've missed from the traditional Zelda experience, and it pays off in droves. While the novelty of its design will never be as impactful as Breath of the Wild's debut, Tears of the Kingdom is one of the best Zelda experiences you'll ever have.

Multiplayer.it (10/10, review in Italian):
Tears of the Kingdom starts from the foundation of the saga and aims for the sky: here, the tradition meets a freedom that's out of reach for modern video games, offering literally infinite ways to interact with a kingdom that is alive and full of content. It's a game which constantly answers any demand from the player and never stops providing new prompts. The return of dungeons, the world that rests hidden beneath the surface, and the floating archipelagos are great additions, but ultimately it's the gameplay - which doesn't know comparatives - to set a new standard.

Nintenderos (10/10, review in Spanish):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is much more than the sequel to Breath of the Wild. It is a perfect adventure game, with innovative mechanics, an exciting story and secrets around every corner. With this installment, the world of Hyrule is much larger than ever before, both in density and vertical exploration. In every little detail, you can feel all the work and care that Nintendo has put into this game over the years, because it is simply magical. Undoubtedly, we are facing the best Nintendo Switch game, and we don't think any other will be able to top it. A true masterpiece.

IGN Spain (10/10, review in Spanish):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom uses the formula proposed by its predecessor to build a proposal that improves each of its sections. The result is a game that not only looks one of the most influential titles of the last 10 years in the face, but, as if it were looking for the sky that populates its illustrations, it has managed to rise above it.

Meristation (10/10, review in Spanish):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the largest and most ambitious game from Nintendo. A masterpiece that presents us with a vast and dense world, expanding in every direction, and continually impressing the player, even after dozens of hours have passed. If Tears of the Kingdom is not the ultimate Zelda, it is the closest thing to it.

IGN Adria (10/10, review in Bosnian):
Tears of the Kingdom appears to be the ultimate open-world title that builds on the strong foundation of its predecessor, introducing significant innovations and even better design, completely redefining the legendary Zelda into a game that anyone can easily understand, fall in love with, and have fun for hundreds of hours.

GAMINGbible (10/10):
Tears Of The Kingdom effortlessly dances between the epic and the ridiculous - and every single moment in this vast, gorgeous playground will be completely unique to each player. I don’t know how, but Nintendo managed to follow a straight-up masterpiece with something bigger, better, and smarter. I genuinely feel bad for every other video game that has to be released in 2023.

Gamereactor UK (10/10):
In its open world, narrative, combat, and traversal, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom proves itself to be a triumph, a game that will be remembered not only as a phenomenal sandbox experience but an outstanding achievement as a game.

COGconnected (100/100):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most unique and creative games I have ever played. There is a lot to do and the world design is a perfect symbiosis between using Link’s abilities and your own smarts to reach your goals. One of the best games ever on Nintendo Switch and a must-buy.

Gameblog.fr (10/10, review in French):
The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is indeed the masterclass we were waiting for. A game of incredible generosity that buries, once again, all the competition. Often copied, never equaled, the formula of Breath of the Wild is here improved by new features that offer even more freedom to the player. Rare are the games capable of stimulating and captivating so many players for dozens and dozens of hours. Hyrule is beautiful and holds more secrets than ever before, which even the most hardcore fans will enjoy discovering. Often epic, constantly fascinating, Tears of the Kingdom is likely to divide on a few points. The most intransigent gamers will be able to criticize it for not doing enough to distinguish itself from the previous game. But what's the point when you've already reached the top and are literally flying over the world ?

AusGamers (10/10):
Know this, at the very least: I get the sense that this is it. This is now the The Legend of Zelda blueprint, and from here on out, we live in this version of Hyrule, and we couldn’t be happier about that. This is both a true sequel and a hoisted flagpole on what this series is and where it’s going into the future…

Eurogamer Germany (5/5, review in German):
It doesn't quite deliver the punch of its predecessor, and right now I'm having a hard time imagining that there's anything more to come out of this Hyrule than we got with Tears of the Kingdom. With any luck, we'll find out later this decade. Until then - see those mountains over there? It's never been easier or more fun to try to reach them.

PCMag (5/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a masterpiece of a sequel that instantly joins the ranks of the best Zelda games of all time.

Inverse (10/10):
Tears of the Kingdom handily exceeds the sky-high expectations surrounding it. It’s an instant classic — and a testament to the unmatched ingenuity of Nintendo’s game design.

PPE.pl (10/10, review in Polish):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a beautiful story built on familiar foundations that have been expanded with new tools.

Tom's Hardware Italia (10/10, review in Italian):
Nintendo wanted to push on the accelerator and go all-in. Tears Of The Kingdom succeeds in a feat I thought impossible: improving, expanding, and in some ways overshadowing a production of the caliber of Breath Of The Wild. Explaining in words how this new chapter was able to consistently surprise someone who dissected the previous chapter for hundreds of hours was not easy but, if you are not part of those users who want to look for the rot where there is none, my only advice is to play it, enjoy every inch of it and hope that this new journey never ends. Nintendo has once again set standards for a genre, and never before will it be really hard to top it.

Enternity.gr (10/10, review in Greek):
We may not know if this is the Nintendo Switch's final AAA game, but it's the perfect way to cap off a highly successful run.

DASHGAMER.com (10/10):
There’s a tale told with great ambition and aspiration behind its lore, its successes and how it will act as a defiant moment in Nintendo’s growth, but The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a set to be 2023’s landmark achievement in gaming – nothing short of extraordinary.

Eurogamer.pt (5/5, review in Portuguese):
To the large size of the campaign and an exploration based on three layers or dimensions of Hyrule, there is an immense creative power, capable of modifying the experience, always with the puzzles in sight, the mental gymnastics supported by beautiful melodies, a refined language and a remarkable artistic dimension. Again called upon to return peace to Hyrule, Link comes close to the gods.

Pocket Tactics (10/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom takes the magic of Breath of the Wild and makes it bigger, sillier, and much more fun. It’s an excellent time, packed to the brim with beauty and joy, and there’s nothing like it on the Switch.

The Beta Network (10/10):
I must’ve been having an absolute blast with Tears of the Kingdom, as any 6 hour play session would fly by in the blink of an eye.

Cubed3 (10/10):
To answer the question - is this a brand-new game or glorified DLC? The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a worthy sequel - it goes beyond a simple reskin and introduces a cohesive, unique take at a post-story world from a previous entry. Blend in two huge new landmasses to unpack, reworked villages/locations and a mysterious story to stitch it all together for one epic return to Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom accomplishes that incredibly difficult task of following up a critically acclaimed game. It hooks, teases and surprises at every turn. Another essential game for the Nintendo Switch and chapter in the ever-expanding Hylian story.

Het Nieuwsblad (5/5, review in Dutch):
Thanks to the addition of the Ultrahand ability, Tears of the Kingdom becomes a kind of all-round friend to every kind of gamer. Those who want to can create, puzzle, cook, unwind and enjoy the scenery. But just as well experience adventures, fight and encounter pretty tough challenges that will take even the most seasoned gamer quite a while. It is highly exceptional for a single game to personify the desiderata of all these personas.

Gamersky (10/10, review in Chinese):
I wouldn't say The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the kingdom is a perfect game, but it's definitely a game that puts fun first from start to finish. It does have some imperfections, but they don't detract from its outstanding multi-dimensional gameplay and innovative design concepts that set the industry standard.

Try Hard Guides (10/10):
While Tears of the Kingdom suffers from noticeably more visual bugs and dropped framerate than its predecessor, this can largely be attributed to the sheer size of the world. As with BOTW, players will be comparing every game to this for the next five years, at least. It’s one of those things that you can’t understand unless you play for yourself and it’s wise to go in as fresh as possible.

GamingBolt (10/10):
Tears of the Kingdom ups the ante on its predecessor, and follows up on one of the greatest games ever made by exceeding it in every possible regard to a thorough, comprehensive degree. If you are a fan of the medium, you owe it to yourself to play this game.

The Games Machine (9.8/10, review in Italian):
Tears of the Kingdom manages to surpass the perfection previously achieved by Breath of the Wild, an incredible achievement. I am very happy for the other software houses, who will now be able to spend a carefree summer, saving themselves endless work sessions in an attempt to create a contender for the game title of the year: right now, the current generation of game designers lacks unfortunately that spark with which to create a product capable of approaching the genius of Tears of the Kingdom.

Hobby Consolas (98/100, review in Spanish):
Tears of the Kingdom brings together the power of adventure, the wisdom of freedom and the courage of creativity, without forgetting what makes The Legend of Zelda so special: the epic moments and the ability to thrill. They were right when they said the title was a spoiler: we've shed tears of joy.

IGN Italia (9.8/10, review in Italian):
Tears of the Kingdom is what happens when a triple A studio with a triple A budget can take its time to develop a game, focusing on polish and gameplay instead of graphics. The result is so powerful that it puts to shame many contemporary games. This is a masterpiece.

XGN (9.8/10, review in Dutch):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom quickly does away with worries that Breath of the Wild's Hyrule won't be as fun to explore a second time. Sky Islands, changes to the landscape and much more make this journey every bit as exciting as the previous adventure. Criticisms of Breath of the Wild have been taken to heart where possible, leading to unique dungeons, among other things. Small performance blemishes and occasionally annoying companion AI can't stop this game from being absolutely essential.

Game Informer (9.75/10):
Nearly every encounter, whether puzzle, traversal, or combat, must be reconsidered. It makes you think in new ways. I didn’t get the same goosebumps exploring Hyrule as I did in the past, but I did experience new emotions both on a granular level from solving individual puzzles and on a larger scale by going back to one of my favorite video game locations. They say you can never go home again, but I adored returning to Hyrule with all new tools.

Merlin'in Kazanı (96/100, review in Turkish):
Tears of the Kingdom manages to offer you another unforgettable adventure with its new features and layered map structure. Even after spending hours in the game, it's exciting to find new details to discover!

Everyeye.it (9.5/10, review in Italian):
One of the best adventure games that have ever been made. A playful and artistic titan, who swallows the hours in one bite, in a sumptuous banquet of possibilities, creativity, imagination.

SECTOR.sk (9.5/10, review in Slovak):
The game has all the necessary qualities to be a great, massive, intelligent, and creative gaming experience that surpasses Breath of the Wild. However, it lacks a "wow factor" and feels like an improved version of its predecessor rather than a completely new experience. Despite its higher quality, the game relies too much on its predecessor, and the main world map is essentially the same.

Cerealkillerz (9.5/10, review in German):
Link is back, and better than ever! The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom takes the excellent foundation of its predecessor and adds to it: the new abilities allow for much more experimentation and puzzle solving, plus the islands in the sky offer a change from the earthbound world of Hyrule, inviting you to explore much more, putting the saying "The sky's the limit!" to new use. Nintendo has managed to outdo itself once again after Breath of the Wild.

GAMES.CH (95%, review in German):
Tears of the Kingdom doesn't clear up all the potential flaws of its predecessor, but the game succeeds in doing much more

Power Unlimited (95/100, review in Dutch):
Breath of the Wild is one of the best Nintendo games ever made, and Tears of the Kingdom improves on the formula in just about every way. Yes, there's a sense of déjà vu with Hyrule's existing map, but the wow factor of the first game is regularly matched as you venture into the new areas.

GRYOnline.pl (9.5/10, review in Polish):
I haven't had this much fun in an open world game since Breath of the Wild . However, if any of you do not share my admiration for the previous part, you will not find anything interesting in Tears of the Kingdom either . The Legend of Zelda series is either loved or completely indifferent to it. As a huge fan of it, I can wholeheartedly recommend TotK to anyone who is looking for an interesting, unconventional game, who is not afraid to implement even the strangest ideas and loves to solve complex puzzles.

Jeuxvideo.com (19/20, review in French):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a new masterpiece that makes Breath of the Wild, one of the best games of all time, look like a draft. By following in the footsteps of its predecessor, it is no longer a “revolution” of course, but it completes the player experience in an epic dimension that has no equal. The feeling of freedom, the feeling of living your own adventure without constraint, these are the great strengths of a game with an absolutely exceptional lifespan. Tears of the Kingdom is discovered over time, little by little, so much so that it will still have things to reveal to us for years to come. It is a jewel of absolute purity and definitely, adventure with a capital A.

JeuxActu (19/20, review in French):
Some will say that this Zelda Tears of the Kingdom looks more like DLC++ than the real sequel to Breath of the Wild, and they won't be completely wrong; at least in the first 10/12 hours of play. But by opening its world to the sky, the game changes perspective, opens up new horizons and the open world becomes even more exhilarating to explore. Yes, Tears of the Kingdom will not revolutionize video games like Breath of the Wild did 6 years ago, but it reinforces its gaming possibilities in the most solid way, and above all offers a new way to rediscover its open world. Tears of the Kingdom is to Breath of the Wild what Majora's Mask was to Ocarina of Time, a complementary but above all essential adventure.

MGG (95/100, review in French):
They did it! Six years after the kick in the pants that was Breath of the Wild, Nintendo is back with a second installment that will widen the gap with the competition in terms of open-world. If there are still many ways to improve and there are even a few small disappointments along the way, we are indeed in the presence of an exceptional title, with undeniable gameplay qualities and a total freedom of exploration, which is still far too rare in 2023. A masterpiece, quite simply.

TierraGamer (9.5/10, review in Spanish):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has enough arguments to be a great game, not just a simple sequel. Link's new abilities change how players enjoy the franchise, and even the world feels much more open than in Breath of the Wild. The downside is that, at various times, the scenarios feel empty and add little to the adventure. Sometimes the shrines are more challenging to solve, the boss battles are memorable and exciting, and the game invites you to be brave at all times because now, the goal to save the day is more meaningful.

GamePro (93/100, review in German):
Gigantic open world adventure crammed with tasks and secrets, but lacking the new magic of its predecessor.

Video Chums (9.2/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an awesome and unforgettable experience and I'm happy to say that the Zelda series is still killing it in 2023. With that being said; please, Nintendo: we really need to experience a brand new Hyrule in the next Zelda game.

GamesRadar (4.5/5):
Tears of the Kingdom sets a standard for immersive gameplay that most major games don't even try to achieve, let alone match

TheSixthAxis (9/10):
As if it was really in doubt, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is another sublime entry in this series. It's not as thoroughly refreshing as Breath of the Wild was six years ago, but as a direct sequel, it takes the same world and manages to transform it with a new over and under world, while Link's powerful new abilities foster ever-more creative play, and a new epic tragedy unfolds before you. As we head into the Nintendo Switch's twilight years, this is practically essential.

Wccftech (9/10):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom sticks closely to the blueprint established by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it’s a richer, more rewarding game in most ways that count, offering a more intricate world, versatile suite of abilities, epic story, and satisfying dungeons.

Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5):
Still, Tears of the Kingdom is a resounding success. The sheer scale and scope of it ought to be a reminder to the games industry that creativity doesn’t need the most powerful hardware, and the playful approach to gameplay makes this a rare open world game that’s a pleasure to explore and rewarding to immerse yourself within. I hope Nintendo understands that this can’t be the Zelda formula forevermore, and the next one will be an all-new and transformative experience again, but I also don’t begrudge the company the desire to take a second crack at what made Breath of the Wild so special to so many people.

PlaySense (9/10, review in Dutch):
We had to wait 6 years for it, but it will be rewarded. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is bigger, better, more fun, more varied and more exciting than its predecessor. The game features gorgeous music, huge variety in gameplay and creative new abilities that open up many new possibilities. In terms of performance, the age of the handheld does begin to take its toll, for example, the performance is not optimal. In addition, the dungeons are not that special, but that is the only thing to note about an otherwise sublime game. In short: everyone who owns a Nintendo Switch must buy this game.

Digital Trends (4.5/5):
So long as you’re willing to meticulously survey Hyrule like an archaeologist digging for fossils, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is an engrossing sequel full of mysteries to solve and experiments to conduct. It’s a digital laboratory that I imagine will still be producing unbelievable discoveries 10 years from now.

PC Games (9/10, review in German):
Outstanding, outrageously big action-adventure that builds on the strengths of its predecessor and puts playful freedom above everything else. It offers a good mix of the familiar and the fresh and just barely misses the perfect rating.

Games.cz (9/10, review in Czech):
It’s bigger, richer, more story-driven, it’s simply better than Breath of the Wild. It would be a 10/10 game if it wasn’t for the technical issues caused by the aging Nintendo Switch. You simply must play the new Zelda anyway, though.

LevelUp (9/10, review in Spanish):
Tears of the Kingdom builds on its strengths, offering an unmatched adventure with expanded content and improved systems, while still retaining some of its predecessor's flaws. Definitely, don't miss out on this redefined adventure.

Forbes (9/10):
Overall, Tears of the Kingdom is a genuine improvement and evolution over Breath of the Wild. While I still think the Link’s Awakening remake has been the best Zelda game on the Switch thus far, Tears of the Kingdom comes very close to that. The story is also a lot more poignant than many of the other games in the series and consequently Tears of the Kingdom feels a lot more considered. So get ready to go back to Hyrule, because it’s all very new again and entirely massive with it.

Geeks & Com (9/10, review in French):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is a great sequel that doesn't revolutionize the series like the first game did, but is still an absolute must play. This new version of Hyrule is bigger than ever and the new powers of Link help revigorate the gameplay. Yes it has a few flaws, but I didn't want to put down my Switch and I had a big smile during the whole review process.

Gamereactor Spain (9/10, review in Spanish):
Perhaps its dungeons aren't as good as the best ones in Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, while the sage avatars aren't the most elegant solution, and it could feel a bit too familiar if you don't take advantage of the range of new possibilities. However, all the new features make this a better driven adventure, one that is more diverse, entertaining, and with a whole lot of ingenious ideas that could very well come from the mind of a crazy inventor like Robbie. Even if it doesn't break the mold like its predecessor, you won't find any other game like this.

eXputer (4.5/5):
With its slew of new abilities and fantastical locations, Tears of The Kingdom is a masterpiece that improves on all of BOTW's foundations.

4Players.de (85/100, review in German):
Fun, extensive open-world adventure with clever puzzle chambers and a lot of focus on building plus crafting - if you already know Breath of the Wild, you will lose some of the fun of discovery.

Eurogamer (4/5):
A terrific Breath of the Wild follow-up with some brilliant new systems, amazing views and more dungeon-type spaces, plus a slightly deadening emphasis on gathering resources.

T3 (4/5):
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is more of an advancement, rather than an evolution. This may still be the same world of Hyrule, but its playground of puzzles and creativity is tough to beat, with exhilarating boss fights and worthwhile side-missions making it a joy to behold. While the controls take some getting used to and the Depths feel a chore to explore, the sky islands help make one of the best open worlds in a video game even better.

Eurogamer Poland (8/10, review in Polish):
It's no secret The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom was made because Nintendo had a lot of additional content and mechanics they didn't manage to fit in the previous game. What we get in the sequel is a direct continuation of the story on a familiar map, but the new skills and interactions save us from the feeling that we're playing the same thing.

IGN Portugal (8/10, review in Portugal):
The perfect sequel exists in Tears of the Kingdom and is scattered throughout Hyrule. It can be found in the vast improvements to the mechanics introduced in Breath of the Wild, the narrative expansion, the attention given to certain characters, and the increased participation they have in the story and combat. It gets lost, however, in an unnecessarily prolonged stay, with new game mechanics taking center stage at the expense of exploration and challenging puzzles. The feeling of being in front of a DLC, with dozens of hours, with repetition of ideas and assets, is therefore inevitable.

GameOver.gr (8/10, review in Greek):
A worthy The Legend of Zelda game, Tears of the Kingdom is an adventure that spans across time, good and evil and tells an exciting story of light and darkness, yet still manages to fall victim of mechanisms old and new that deprive it of the refreshing addition to the series its predecessor was. Despite this, it’s still a title that is here to stay.

NME (4/5):
Tears of the Kingdom plays it safe, which is a shame for the follow-up to the least safe Zelda in decades. Still, it’s hard to complain too much about getting more of one of the all-time greats, and there are enough tweaks to make it feel worth playing all over again.

Saudi Gamer (8/10, review in Arabic):
Tears of the Kingdom is a great game that rewards your imagination and creativity more so than the original, but ultimately it is the same game down to its faults and barely brings anything substantially new to the table.

Gfinity (6/10):
If you’ve yet to step foot into the open world of Hyrule, Tears of the Kingdom is the best way to experience it, with just enough new ground to keep things interesting. But if you didn’t gel with the 2017 release, the story alone might not be worth the second attempt.

Last edited:
@Yamanoi @Dardan Sandiego

chewie-were-home.gif

FarflungRedDugong-size_restricted.gif

Nothing justifies my purchase of a game that I have already bought more than some numbers.

Also the first person to moan about a review that's only a 7 or 8 out of ten is a pillock. Doubly so if you accuse it of just being for clicks or trolling. I do hope we can all do better than that.

Gonna be interesting to see what reviewers are allowed to talk about, and if any of them hint at stuff that's got to remain embargoed. I'm interested to learn more about structure and progression, including what forms shrine/dungeon equivalents might take, and how reviewers feel about that stuff especially. I think broadly people who like the exploration of BotW are going to remain very positive about that in Tears. Also be interesting to see how reviewers felt about crafting, and especially vehicle creation, and whether they felt that was essential to the experience or whether you can play and ignore it.

I hope this thread ages very well. There's been a non-trivial void in my gaming life since 2017 and damn would I love for it to be filled again

hope the reviews are generally very positive, I love botw and I so desperately need totk to do better than botw.

not even a guess considering it happens for any big release but I imagine the reviews will be overwhelmingly positive but the conversations will revolve around the couple outliers regardless of the quality of the reviews themselves.

As long as it reviews better than Ocarina of Time I'll be happy

I'm pretty easy to please

Hype already cannot be contained and once the reviews are out it's gonna be nuclear! Seriously, haven't seen ANY game this hyped. Not even BotW.

Willst TotK soar?

giphy.gif

Or willst thou su...

pffftt hahaha, sorry, i can't finish the meme. There's no reality where TotK will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom