• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those looking for a pleasant and Zelda way to kill time before the reviews hit : you can read the story, on Fami, of how BotW came to be ;)

I won’t lie, reviews got me a bit more anxious than I thought, it’s a little hard to sleep. Only got an hour and half till work anyways, gonna probably just get rewards for the day check the metacritic score real quick and be on my way.

I don't think it'll matter how much "better" TotK ends up being compared to BotW (if that is the case) when looking at the sum of its parts, I suspect a lot of reviewers will not get over the fact that it's set in the same Hyrule and making it a sticking point that it feels like an iterative evolution of Zelda rather than a revolution (like BotW). I also think there'll be some genuine complaints about cumbersome inventory management w.r.t. fusing and building things.

So overall I think there will be more hesitation to give the game a 10 and we'll see more outlets give out a 9. Regardless, I think most players and reviewers will agree that it is an improvement in almost every sense over BotW.

Willst TotK soar?

giphy.gif

Or willst thou su...

pffftt hahaha, sorry, i can't finish the meme. There's no reality where TotK will suck.
“No. I'm, I'm simply saying that Link, uh… finds a way”

It will be 94 just by virtue of having aged 6 years technically, and thus offering an argument to tech-versed people who will not find acceptable unstable 900p/30fps acceptable in the year 2023 of our Lord.
I would be very surprised if an incremental (but excellent) sequel would score within 1 or 2 points of its ground-breaking predecessor.

I'm predicting 93 still, with the negative points being a reused Hyrule, controls, and story-related issues (guessing)

“No. I'm, I'm simply saying that Link, uh… finds a way”

Link to Zelda after she accidently revives Mummydorf: "You were so preoccupied with wether or not you could, you didn't stop to think if you should!"

Disclaimer: This is a joke, i have not seen any leak, i have no idea how Mummydorf is being revived.

Welcome everyone, to the review thread, I, Chaos Theory, will be your host today.

Careful, i'm good friends with Jack. So we're trying to keep Chaos low.

Hell yeah time to get angry over a number. Personally, I hate the number 83, I hope it's not that number. 82 is much better. 84 is ok, but not 82-tier.

I hope to see a nice calm review thread.

Numbers shouldn’t affect personal enjoyment. Just more info in regards to purchasing the product

Curious to see the scores, absolutely scared to read any of the reviews for fear of spoilers (mechanical and story)

I'm predicting 93 still, with the negative points being a reused Hyrule, controls, and story-related issues (guessing)
Don’t forget the price too

Remember to refer to your Zelda fan review score scaler when reading the reviews. A 98 is actually an 8/10, a 97 is actually a 7/10, and so on and so forth.

If it scores below a 90, it technically doesn’t exist.

This thread depending on the review score:

<88: site-wide meltdown, all hype is lost, 50 people get banned in the span of 10 minutes
89: lol, 89 curse strikes again
90: it was really just DLC after all huh?
91: oof
92: wish it was higher…
93: really, same as Skyward Sword?
94: slight disappointment
95: general satisfaction
96: yeah we got up to Elden Ring!
97: they did it again, BOTW has been matched
98: all hail the GOAT
99: [Unfortunately, Famiboards is down and won’t be up for the next 2 hours. Thank you for your patience!]

If this scores a 99 I will be so upset. Like how is it possible to score that poorly? How could Nintendo betray us like that?

Won't place too much faith into the numbers themselves, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested to see how this will score compared to BotW!!

ok it's not getting docked because of the price, that is just dumb.
Tag people when you're calling their posts dumb. If you're going to be rude or insulting at least have the courtesy to let them know.

Based on the hype alone, I feel like an 98 is very possible. Just depends on how many contrarians there are who penalize the game for trivial things like reusing the map, tough controls for certain gameplay mechanics, or occasional performance slow-downs. At the end of the day, everything we’ve seen suggests this game will blow BotW out of the water and it should score higher accordingly.

Just here to see who's gonna have the hottest take between Metro and Kotaku

Kotaku got blacklisted from Nintendo events and might not even have a review copy. (They've also been open season for all sorts of leak information, so they're not on Nintendo's good side)

I don't really care for Metacritic scoes but I will say that whatever it ends up being, EPD3 is still one of top developers in the world.

Based on the hype alone, I feel like an 98 is very possible. Just depends on how many contrarians there are who penalize the game for trivial things like reusing the map, tough controls for certain gameplay mechanics, or occasional performance slow-downs. At the end of the day, everything we’ve seen suggests this game will blow BotW out of the water and it should score higher accordingly.

I hardly think having 'reuses the map' as a point of contention is fair to disregard as trivial, especially when you're setting such a sky high expectation as the highest reviewed game ever of all time (discounting things that clearly only have a partial number of their original reviews, mostly old games)

I don’t know why I’m nervous while I have 4 copies preordered and one of them is the collector’s edition lol

(They’re not all for me, though)

Cant wait for the reviews that just did the main story and go "same map nothing different, waste of time. Betrayal." 8/10

I don't think the reused map is going to factor that much. Pilotwings Resort reuses Wuhu Island and that game has a 98 MC (trust me on this one, no need to double-check)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please familiarise yourself with our review thread guidelines before posting. Ignoring them may result in a threadban. You can find them here.
https://famiboards.com/threads/review-thread-conduct-policy.6015/

Any spoiler elements not covered in reviews is considered off limits for discussion.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom