• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Previews The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Preview Thread

Guess you’re not aware you can not heal and play with 3 or 5 hearts. It has built in difficulty and you can decide how difficult it can be for you. Zelda has always been like this. Learn to engage with the games systems.

No, built in difficulty is adding options to disable eating while in combat. Having to ignore major mechanics is the opposite of engaging with the systems.

Has anyone figured out what the compass symbol in the ability select wheel does?
We know it's called Map, and besides that we know nothing else. But it's a pretty weird thing to have on a ability select. Maybe it's for places like Sky Islands and Underground that don't have specific Mapping locations? Or hell, maybe it's for every location since the Towers might just be used for getting up high

I know I should probably be refrain from watching these because my hype levels are already out of control... but I don't want to.

Short distance teleportation.

Yep, this.
Seems to work like the portal gun, for reference. Obviously if you teleport from one location to another, the sounds from your current environment need to transition smoothly to the environment you are teleporting to, that's what the patents focused on. Seemed like an arm ability as soon as I read it.

Yep, just did, I actually was trying to but my phone is stupid.
I hate how relatable this is 😂 one time I tried separating a spoiler post into different quotes to respond to it. I used the same format to create spoiler tags and everything. I posted it and it deleted all the spoiler tags.

Tears of the Kingdom had the courage to do what Skyward Sword couldn't.

It was always really silly that you were "supposed" to activate the sailcloth by a button press. But then the game just automatically does it for you.

I am glad for this mechanic

Yep, this.
Seems to work like the portal gun, for reference. Obviously if you teleport from one location to another, the sounds from your current environment need to transition smoothly to the environment you are teleporting to, that's what the patents focused on. Seemed like an arm ability as soon as I read it.
Could also be the Tori Gates

Profound BOTW upgrade in almost every conceivable way. Elevated every method of gameplay, and expounded in a way that isn't just a fan-service, but is genuinely inspiring. Another benchmark that will be replicated for the next decade.
Think of an exhaustive laundry list of things you wanted to see in BOTW but didn't have.
Then imagine that someone took that list, did absolutely everything you wanted and then said - 'And to end on a flourish'
chef's kiss

Thank you!

Yep, this.
As cool as it would be to have a Portal gun, I think it's more likely something else

One of the reviewers mentioned finding a "dungeon" (more likely a Shrine) where they could see inside without entering. We know the Shrine thingies have a portal-like door from a trailer, which can be seen in some of the previews as well. I think the Shrine environments might actually be seamless with the overworld and the patent may just be from transporting into them from the entrance portals

One of the previews shows the paraglider in the menu, and the item description mentions that it is given to Link by
Purah

So we theorized about additional golden/rune abilities, do we think that's still likely?
Less likely than before, given the slots on the ability wheel (even the missing slot is next to the other green abilities, which implies it's one of those instead)

They'll probably grant contextual abilities like the Champion Abilities from BoTW

One of the previews shows the paraglider in the menu, and the item description mentions that it is given to Link by
Purah
Oh great catch!
Really curious as that suggests that the paraglider isn't unlocked while you're on the tutorial island. It was easy to guess that heading to see Purah is one of the game's earliest objectives, but I wouldn't have guessed that you'd need to visit her to receive something as foundational as the paraglider. ...unless she flies up to you there, but I doubt that lol

The traveller's medallion is from Robbie.

Also a great post by u/TheRealOsamaru about how the purple ability will work.

I think I know how the new ability is going to work. (spoilers)

So, with the Critic previews we've seen today, we know about the new "power", Autobuild, which will allow us to Save and drop "blueprints" of constructed items made with Ultrahand.

This is GREAT as it means we get a chance to really experiment, build and refine things we really want, rather than just kind of macgyvering something out of what's in the area (though I'm sure theres going to be a lot of that as well).

The question is though, HOW does this really work? Part of it is obviously the Zonai Capsules we see several times in the previews.

https://preview.redd.it/jdapy9cz3aw...ed&s=0eb63746d0faf0286b4adddbc2c399084af11f9f

These will likely be pulled directly from our inventory when using Autobuild. But that begs another question; what about items you don't have, or ones that AREN'T Zonai Devices, and thus don't have a capsule?

Can you simply NOT build those Blueprints? Personally, I think this is EXTREMELY unlikely. Why? Because we've seen lots of examples of Ultrahand constructs with non-Zonai parts. And likely, MOST constructs are going to have some kind of non-Zonai part in it.

So how do THOSE work? Well, I think I know how.

In a few previews we see some constructs that look distinctly... different, compared to others

https://preview.redd.it/4r6szjo14aw...ed&s=ff8b2eb3f6642b621433927325d0be1ebd129cae

Right away you can spot WHAT makes them so weird compared to other constructs

https://preview.redd.it/6ruem5u24aw...ed&s=9f0412905487f19a5af1f165f461c51d2f279989

But what's the reason for that? If Autobuild can just auto assemble all the parts, what is with the overwhelming green skin? I think the answer lies with ANOTHER new item we see in the previews.

Zonaite.

https://preview.redd.it/q7kzvb344aw...ed&s=f565cb787157620a45e4d725302342ca5f390b6e

From the description, we can assume that Zonaite plays an important rule in the game and in Zonai technology as a whole. But what use is it, mechanic wise?

The first awnser that probably pops into people minds is as a currency for upgrades like Iron ore and other ores in BotW. This is highly likely.

Some have even speculated that it is the currency used at the "gatcha" machines to buy Zonai Capsules. This is also another likely possibility.

But I want to propose a THIRD idea.

What if Zonaite is used as a "Filler" material in Autobuild?

It would work something like this.

Every item has a set Zonaite "value". Probably as cheap as 1 for something like a wood plank or stone slab, with more expensive for complex items like Zonai Devices.

When you "Save" a Blueprint with Autobuild, its assigned a cost based on the Sum Zonaite value of all the Objects used to make it.

When you then go to "Rebuild" the Blueprint, the game looks at the Items you have in your inventory, then subtracts their value from the cost of the Blueprint.

The remaining value is then "paid" with Zonaite instead.

These "Copied" parts are the green parts that we see on the weird looking constructs.

This is further supported by a few clips where we can see Builds that have a mix of "Copied" and "Real" parts.

https://preview.redd.it/346ajol54aw...ed&s=c9615f4784792756f6d22a1371dcf7f74c3ec455

Likely this has some restrictions of course. The biggest being its unlikely these "Copied" part can be removed or adjusted, unlike something built by hand. I.E they're fixed in place.

This would also solve the issue of someone just spawning a thousand cars from nothing.

All your Rebuilds would be limited by your Zonaite supply.

=====================

Overall, I think if this really IS how they've done it, its a great idea and I can already think of a dozen ways to use it.

For instance, imagine building a bunker to block boss attacks, or building something designed to crush enemies by pushing it down a hill.

Its got a LOT of potential.

oh no, durability is still signified from that animation sparkle on the weapons

I was hoping for a qol improvement there to be more kind UX wise

QoL/design improvements I wanted from this game:
  • Tab between scrollable inventory pages using L + R ✅
  • Recipe book ✅*
  • Radial menu for selecting abilities ✅
  • Drop weapons from the quick select menu ✅
  • Quick equip armor sets / save armor combinations ❔
  • Percentage based damaged reduction from armor ❔ (but probably not)
  • Clearer explanations/visibility of shield stats ❌
  • Remove/limit healing while paused ❌
  • Smaller window for flurry rush ❌
  • Quick re-fuse the same material to an arrow ❌
  • Incentivize fighting enemies by giving purpose to drops ✅ ✅ ✅
* There doesn't seem to be a way to select items by using the book though.

They made some obvious improvements, but retained some obvious issues. Link looks stronger than ever, with his entire inventory being a weapon, and being able to carry around Zonai battle tech, yet you can still pause-heal and activate flurry rush when the enemy is 20 feet away, and we have even more health in this game than in BotW. I really hope they at least made armor less over-powered, but I doubt it.

We know it's called Map, and besides that we know nothing else. But it's a pretty weird thing to have on an ability select. Maybe it's for places like Sky Islands and Underground that don't have specific Mapping locations? Or hell, maybe it's for every location since the Towers might just be used for getting up high
it could be like Metroid Dread's Pulse Radar...

So, with the Critic previews we've seen today, we know about the new "power", Autobuild, which will allow us to Save and drop "blueprints" of constructed items made with Ultrahand.

This is GREAT as it means we get a chance to really experiment, build and refine things we really want, rather than just kind of macgyvering something out of what's in the area (though I'm sure theres going to be a lot of that as well).

The question is though, HOW does this really work? Part of it is obviously the Zonai Capsules we see several times in the previews.

https://preview.redd.it/jdapy9cz3aw...ed&s=0eb63746d0faf0286b4adddbc2c399084af11f9f

These will likely be pulled directly from our inventory when using Autobuild. But that begs another question; what about items you don't have, or ones that AREN'T Zonai Devices, and thus don't have a capsule?

Can you simply NOT build those Blueprints? Personally, I think this is EXTREMELY unlikely. Why? Because we've seen lots of examples of Ultrahand constructs with non-Zonai parts. And likely, MOST constructs are going to have some kind of non-Zonai part in it.

In a few previews we see some constructs that look distinctly... different, compared to others

https://preview.redd.it/4r6szjo14aw...ed&s=ff8b2eb3f6642b621433927325d0be1ebd129cae

https://preview.redd.it/6ruem5u24aw...ed&s=9f0412905487f19a5af1f165f461c51d2f279989

But what's the reason for that? If Autobuild can just auto assemble all the parts, what is with the overwhelming green skin? I think the answer lies with ANOTHER new item we see in the previews.

Zonaite.

https://preview.redd.it/q7kzvb344aw...ed&s=f565cb787157620a45e4d725302342ca5f390b6e

From the description, we can assume that Zonaite plays an important rule in the game and in Zonai technology as a whole. But what use is it, mechanic wise?

The first awnser that probably pops into people minds is as a currency for upgrades like Iron ore and other ores in BotW. This is highly likely.

Some have even speculated that it is the currency used at the "gatcha" machines to buy Zonai Capsules. This is also another likely possibility.

Every item has a set Zonaite "value". Probably as cheap as 1 for something like a wood plank or stone slab, with more expensive for complex items like Zonai Devices.

When you "Save" a Blueprint with Autobuild, its assigned a cost based on the Sum Zonaite value of all the Objects used to make it.

When you then go to "Rebuild" the Blueprint, the game looks at the Items you have in your inventory, then subtracts their value from the cost of the Blueprint.

These "Copied" parts are the green parts that we see on the weird looking constructs.

This is further supported by a few clips where we can see Builds that have a mix of "Copied" and "Real" parts.

https://preview.redd.it/346ajol54aw...ed&s=c9615f4784792756f6d22a1371dcf7f74c3ec455

Likely this has some restrictions of course. The biggest being its unlikely these "Copied" part can be removed or adjusted, unlike something built by hand. I.E they're fixed in place.

This would also solve the issue of someone just spawning a thousand cars from nothing.

=====================

Overall, I think if this really IS how they've done it, its a great idea and I can already think of a dozen ways to use it.

For instance, imagine building a bunker to block boss attacks, or building something designed to crush enemies by pushing it down a hill.

this is confirmed: you can see that in action here (from IGN's oops video), takes 18 zonaite to rebuild this:

Less likely than before, given the slots on the ability wheel (even the missing slot is next to the other green abilities, which implies it's one of those instead)

They'll probably grant contextual abilities like the Champion Abilities from BoTW

It could still be that the wheel grows as you gain abilities. It's easier to expand it by two to keep it even numbered.

Zonaite.

=====================

Yeah it's confirmed from a clip from IGN Japan that this is indeed how this works. Zonaite is used to construct things that you have saved in Autobuild, and you can continue to add to those constructions.

Things we still don't know
  • can you save a hybrid Zonaite construction, and what limits there are on what and how many things you can save with Autobuild?
  • Is the saving is manual or automatic like the Autobuild tooltip implies, and if it is automatic, what does Autobuild decide to save? Can you delete Autobuild saves so it doesn't get cluttered?
  • How does Autobuild determine Zonaite cost? I imagine the simplest way is to grant each part of a construction a fixed Zonaite cost, with greater value assigned to more important components
  • How do we get Zonaite? Seems like a pretty important resource, do we have to mine it like normal ores or is there a more convenient way to get it?

Yeah it's confirmed from a clip from IGN Japan that this is indeed how this works. Zonaite is used to construct things that you have saved in Autobuild, and you can continue to add to those constructions.

Things we still don't know
  • can you save a hybrid Zonaite construction, and what limits there are on what and how many things you can save with Autobuild?
  • Is the saving is manual or automatic like the Autobuild tooltip implies, and if it is automatic, what does Autobuild decide to save? Can you delete Autobuild saves so it doesn't get cluttered?
  • How does Autobuild determine Zonaite cost? I imagine the simplest way is to grant each part of a construction a fixed Zonaite cost, with greater value assigned to more important components
  • How do we get Zonaite? Seems like a pretty important resource, do we have to mine it like normal ores or is there a more convenient way to get it?
And most importantly: is it pronounced Zonai-ite or Zone-ite?

Oh, yeah we've known durability is sticking around for a while now

I was talking about how specifically it's represented in the UI
Right, I should really learn to read one of these days.

That's probably not MonolithSoft's doing. We can only speculate and wait until we see the credits

Monolith was about half of the designers on BotW, and they have only grown considerably since then. They are just going to be a substantially chunk of any section of the designer/planner credits.

The big question is if we can put the hood back over Link's head like it was in Breath of the Wild.

FksBSftXEAc6jOB.jpg
Hmmmm, is the bomb necessary?

Take it in, this is the closest thing we will come to getting a true Superman open world game.

Did Gene clarifiy the dungeon thing in his stream? I'm not too sure what he exactly saw, but I fear that he was a bit too rash with his dungeon claims.

Back
Top Bottom