• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not trying to spoil all the enemies for myself, but are Gibdos and regular Stalfos back? Stalfos being absent from BotW was always weird to me.

I was never someone who said "BOTW is a great game but not a great Zelda game". It is a great Zelda game. But boy oh boy did I miss moments like the above video. It's like they put my favorite parts of Zelda back in Zelda.

I basically decided I'm going to watch up to what we would've seen in previews for Skyward Sword. I didn't watch any gameplay outside of this video, entering the depths, and the first half hour or so. I'm sold. shit is incredible. $70 DLC, "there's nothing new to show" crowd in absolute fucking shambles. Myself included. I will never doubt Nintendo again.

That music is fantastic, cool new instrumentation and great Dragon Roost Island quote. Unfortunately they follow the modern AAA trend of endless unasked for NPC advice and I hate it =P .
Also, they have GOT to do something about the voice acting going forward. Quality is subjective, but for me it's below the "acceptable" line here. Coming from XC3 just makes it worse - voicework there is a bit uneven, but a lot of it is great. This, on the other hand... I can't take the cutscenes seriously, which sucks.
Important question for a significant part of my enjoyment of the game: voice language toggle yay or nay? Before opening cutscene or after? I can't stomach much more of that English voice work =P .

I saw a screenshot of the quest log and see there are a few additional kinds?

Main Quest
Side Adventures
..?

anyone know?

Got the paraglider and unlocked the first tower (central hyrule) having met a few returning characters. Gotta admit, the game hyped up getting shot out of a cannon to do map scanning in the air like it was going to be a fun minigame, but it's just a cutscene to reveal the map. Disappointing, coming from Zelda team. I guess the towers here are true Ubitowers.

I can't lie, now that I'm on the ground in Hyrule, the fact that this is really BotW redux when all I wanted was a full new map is really kicking in. I had this huge sense of excitement and freedom when I finally reached the overworld, as you'd expect. But then you're immediately told to go to the first guardhouse at Hyrule Castle and, well, I already know exactly where that is and how to get there. Yes, there's a cool new outpost along the way, and it's cool to see some of the old characters there. But it's not the same.

So much here is the same, in a way that has never been the case in a mainline Zelda game. You have to go to towers to reveal a map you already know. You're told early on to go to the Rito, Goron, Gerudo and Zora villages too solve their problems - just like before. You have to do puzzle shrines to get 4 orbs to get health/stamina - just like before. Korok puzzles are just like before. Even the opening area, being guided to four shrines surrounding a temple by
EDIT:
speculative spoiler:
the ghost of an old king
- just like before. Your first set of purchasable armor is the exact same set as in BotW - down to identical colouring. Now that I have that on you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and BotW as I run around central hyrule fighting bokoblins.

Sure, I see two huge chasms already and who knows what's down there - quite possibly a bulk of the new content (I'm not reading spoilers) - but I don't think cave spelunking is going to replace exploring a new overworld. I might be wrong. And I just expected more about the structure of the game to change, more of a mix-up to the formula. This is Zelda - every game is supposed to feel so vastly different! This one does not.

Also, so much of the gameplay / puzzles so far has been fiddling with rotating objects using Ultrahand. If that turns out to be a majority of the puzzles, jeez... I can't see myself liking that. The problem is you can only rotate on two planes when you lift an object. You often find yourself having to drop it and run around it to rotate on the third plane. It's... not intuitive, although it's probably as intuitive as they can make a system of manipulating objects in 3d space. To be fair to them, the system of attaching objects is really shockingly well implemented.

Also, they have GOT to do something about the voice acting going forward. Quality is subjective, but for me it's below the "acceptable" line here. Coming from XC3 just makes it worse - voicework there is a bit uneven, but a lot of it is great. This, on the other hand... I can't take the cutscenes seriously, which sucks.

Despite those negatives the game is a joy to play and as addictive as ever. In terms of quality it's a superlative game - how could it not be. But that crazy rush of "I can't BELIEVE how good this is" I got from BotW from the start is entirely absent here, because right now I feel like I've really played this game before. Early, early days yet though.

Bonus positive thought - I was dreading going back to an open world game on the Switch from those on XSX because of long loading times (which are almost eradicated on current gen home consoles) but it's really not that bad here at all. Very surprised and pleased with that, it must have been a focus of theirs.

Second bonus positive thought - Might just be my imagination, but enemies seem significantly more aggressive and I love it.

nice write up. I think no matter what game followed up BOTW it was always going do have trouble recreating the feeling of playing BOTW for the first time as it was a once in a generation type game.

I wonder where they will go with the DLC this time round, more story content or perhaps a new area/ability?
I'm actually betting on a DLC playable Zelda campaign

Nintendo has leaned more into full campaigns for expansions recently, and

Zelda's quest in the past, though I don't know too much about it, feels like a good candidate

Man I'm really glad unique dungeon abilities are back. They're about what I expected so far in terms of "useful but not strictly necessary, and can be replicated by other means", but they seem a lot more fun than the Champion Abilities and getting a companion as part of the deal is pretty fun too. Just having that sort of unique progression with powers is nice

Wow, its sounding like the content in the lead-up to dungeons is Skyward Sword tier in regards to being outdoor dungeons basically

Underwater lovers:
So there's no underwater exploration per-se, but during the pre-dungeon section of the Zora quest, Sidon forms a whirpool in the water and you go inside it to reach ancient Zora ruins so... kinda underwater??

Underwater lovers:
So there's no underwater exploration per-se, but during the pre-dungeon section of the Zora quest, Sidon forms a whirpool in the water and you go inside it to reach ancient Zora ruins so... kinda underwater??
Is the swimming we saw from the water balls used a lot in that segment? Or is that just in the sky so far

As a massive Skyward Sword fan, it's literally a dream come true! May 12th can't come soon enough!
I have landed on telling myself that replaying Skyward Sword will sharpen my puzzle instincts and not burn me out in the way that continuing to revisit my BoTW save file for the final 20ish Shrines I have left will. I already own HD anyway, and motion controls are fun...

I hope to not regret this!

I have landed on telling myself that replaying Skyward Sword will sharpen my puzzle instincts and not burn me out in the way that continuing to revisit my BoTW save file for the final 20ish Shrines I have left will. I already own HD anyway, and motion controls are fun...

I hope to not regret this!

Hmm, it's hard to say since TOTK seems to have a lot more dense gameplay than BOTW. One thing about Skyward Sword is that the puzzle solving is almost relentless, so if you feel like you might be burned out by the time TOTK launches, Skyward Sword may not be the best thing to play leading up to it.

Maybe only play the game partially? I think completing it might be a bit much

Hmm, it's hard to say since TOTK seems to have a lot more dense gameplay than BOTW. One thing about Skyward Sword is that the puzzle solving is almost relentless, so if you feel like you might be burned out by the time TOTK launches, Skyward Sword may not be the best thing to play leading up to it.

Maybe only play the game partially? I think completing it might be a bit much
Luckily I have played it before back on Wii, but I must beat it in time for the Event to get a Badge here LOL

how is HD Rumble in the game? is normal rumble like Breath of the Wild or the game actualy feature HD Rumble?

Quoted by: Tye
There it is (from artbook):
YygsU9n.jpg

I forgot to mention but I wonder if that patent about looking through objects was related to the visual effect at the entrance to the Shrines. You can see deep into the interior of the Shrine from the entrance even though it's not being rendered behind the Shrine entrance from the outside, almost like looking through a magical window to another place. It's a very cool effect. Of course, there could be other uses for the effect as well.

Alternatively, they could be using some sort of texture offset that a lot of renderers use to fake interiors from the outside, but it's hard to say without being able to inspect it myself.

Despite those negatives the game is a joy to play and as addictive as ever. In terms of quality it's a superlative game - how could it not be. But that crazy rush of "I can't BELIEVE how good this is" I got from BotW from the start is entirely absent here, because right now I feel like I've really played this game before. Early, early days yet though.
This is 100% my feelings also. On paper, TotK is a brilliant iteration on BotW and the vastly superior game, but it’s iterative nature means it isn’t as impactful as exploring a brand new world where anything is possible. It’s really just BotW 2, for better or worse.

One thing is very clear to me after all of these impressions and revisiting botw recently

I was gaslighting the hell out of myself in order to tolerate Scarlet / Violet's... rough edges

how is HD Rumble in the game? is normal rumble like Breath of the Wild or the game actualy feature HD Rumble?
Been waiting on this answer too but so far there’s still not been any confirmation either way, it seems… =/

One thing is very clear to me after all of these impressions and revisiting botw recently

I was gaslighting the hell out of myself in order to tolerate Scarlet / Violet's... rough edges
Yeah as much as I love Scarlet (and I do, rough edges and all it was nearly my GoTY last year) BoTW and especially ToTK makes those rough edges very apparent

But I think part of that is that the Zelda team are just completely unreal when it comes to technical competence at this point. A world of this size, with basically fully modeled physics, a full chemistry system, and abilities that let you drastically change and interact with materials around you? That's incredible on any console, let alone a Switch.

Looks like there might be seven dungeons after all. There's a Zonai Dungeon (it's just not called that in the game), and it appears to be different than the Soul Dungeon.

Looks like there might be seven dungeons after all. There's a Zonai Dungeon (it's just not called that in the game), and it appears to be different than the Soul Dungeon.

The Zonai dungeon (or whatever it is) is called "Large Zonai Facility". Shares the same adjective in the file description as the 5 major dungeons. Still not sure what's up with soul, but 6 dungeons seem confirmed

The Zonai dungeon (or whatever it is) is called "Large Zonai Facility". Shares the same adjective in the file description as the 5 major dungeons. Still not sure what's up with soul, but 6 dungeons seem confirmed
My personal theory is that Soul and Zonai are one dungeon, but references got named differently, or the Soul Temple is officially just the final bit of the Zonai Facility

I think it's pretty unlikely that they constitute two separate dungeons since they're both missing parts by themselves but together seem to have everything you'd need for a dungeon

I wonder if it's part of a hidden ending? Maybe you have to complete all dungeons to unlock this final challenge.

There it is (from artbook):
YygsU9n.jpg
That water <3

This game looks so good. I loved BotW's art style, but it had some rough edges on the graphical front. TotK looks like it smooths those edges over and adds a bit of color to the game, without losing the original art style. It looks stunning.

What I'm really eager to see, beyond what's going on with Soul/Zonai in general, is what the corresponding power the

Zonai Ghost Mech Sage

will grant us

So it sounds like a minimum of 6 dungeons are confirmed? Even if we combine the
Zonai and Soul dungeons
, that leaves our
four elemental dungeons
and a final gauntlet, right?

So it sounds like a minimum of 6 dungeons are confirmed? Even if we combine the
Zonai and Soul dungeons
, that leaves our
four elemental dungeons
and a final gauntlet, right?
Yep

5 Full Dungeons for each of the Sages (minus presumably Zelda and Link as the last 2 of the typical 7)
Tulin
Sidon
Riju
Yunobo
Zonai Ghost Mech Lady (aka Raumi)

Also corresponds to the number of fingers on Link's hand, which is where he keeps the rings that summon the Sages, aka the number of "dungeon items" we get

And then a final one, where I'm guessing (not based on anything, just speculation) you get to summon Zelda for Light Arrows

Yep

5 Full Dungeons for each of the Sages (minus presumably Zelda and Link as the last 2 of the typical 7)
Tulin
Sidon
Riju
Yunobo

Also corresponds to the number of fingers on Link's hand, which is where he keeps the rings that summon the Sages, aka the number of "dungeon items" we get

And then a final one, where I'm guessing (not based on anything, just speculation) you get to summon Zelda for Light Arrows
Yep

Tulin
Sidon
Riju
Yunobo

so is 7 Dungeons in total? or is 5+ the final Dungeon?

5 + Final. It seems
[spoilers i see, so 6 dungeons in total? nice cant wait to play this masterpiece and see for myself all this dungeons, Metroid Prime Remastered will keep me busy, when i wait for my copy for Tears of The Kingdom to come

Here’s a bit of a different question, how’s the frame rate? Was the poor performance in the official Nintendo B-Roll truly not representative of the game’s performance as was being said?

I see people on Reddit still arguing about how

The dungeons are just elemental Divine Beasts. Aside from the non-linear way in which you can completely them, they're nothing like the Divine Beasts. It's really unfortunate because people are already deciding the game isn't for them because they've been given misinformation

I just don't get it.

I see people on Reddit still arguing about how

The dungeons are just elemental Divine Beasts. Aside from the non-linear way in which you can completely them, they're nothing like the Divine Beasts. It's really unfortunate because people are already deciding the game isn't for them because they've been given misinformation

I just don't get it.
I mean

Said aspect is probably a reason some people dislike the Divine Beasts (or at the very least think it's why they dislike the Divine Beasts, which isn't quite the same thing since people are often quite bad at determining why they like or dislike something, I find). And some of them have good reasons for that, like wanting strict linearity in dungeon design and a more lock-and-key structure

But yeah it's definitely weird to be deciding that so definitively, especially with how good the dungeons actually look

I mean

Said aspect is probably a reason some people dislike the Divine Beasts (or at the very least think it's why they dislike the Divine Beasts, which isn't quite the same thing since people are often quite bad at determining why they like or dislike something, I find). And some of them have good reasons for that, like wanting strict linearity in dungeon design and a more lock-and-key structure

But yeah it's definitely weird to be deciding that so definitively, especially with how good the dungeons actually look
Oh I completely agree with you there, but I think calling them basically Divine Beasts also gives the wrong impression since there were many reasons why people didn't like them. I don't think it's accurate to take one thing they have in common and say they're basically the same thing. It would be better to say they're not really what they're looking for or aren't completely traditional, as that would still be fair without misrepresenting what they are.

All my opinion, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom