• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really need to generally start being very clear about what we mean when we say time travel. Because "time travel" and "time manipulation" are two very different beasts. We have clear factual evidence of "time manipulation" being a mechanical part of the game (the new "time reversal" ability as a form of time manipulation). Then we have very overt indicators for "time reversal" being a thematic part of the game, for one with the trailer theme containing literally a reversed version of the BotW theme and the 2nd trailer showing the droplet falling upwards, which is an unnatural occurrence and is a classic cinematic shorthand for "time flowing backwards". The mechanical time reversal letting you ride fallen debris from the islands back up to the sky also gestures at the reversal of time as a means of possible (temporary?) restoration tying into that theme as well. So clearly time manipulation in the form of time reversal is a/the theme of the game.
Maybe we would be better served by thinking of this ability as 'momentum reversal' rather than time reversal. This is a logical follow on from the stasis rune in botw.

Sorry for three posts in a row, but just to add that maybe the bokoblin/moblin horns are form following function, ie they are to provide some sort of lock target for Link to practice one of his new arm abilities during the game's tutorial

Then we have very overt indicators for "time reversal" being a thematic part of the game, for one with the trailer theme containing literally a reversed version of the BotW theme and the 2nd trailer showing the droplet falling upwards, which is an unnatural occurrence and is a classic cinematic shorthand for "time flowing backwards".

The trailer theme is not the BotW theme reversed.

Maybe we would be better served by thinking of this ability as 'momentum reversal' rather than time reversal. This is a logical follow on from the stasis rune in botw.
For the love of Hylia thank you for saying this! I’ve been trying to explain this point, and it’s kind of an important one, to my time reversal theory friends. When you move an object to its previous position, object reversal, it has nothing to do with time. Time still moves forward, just because an object hasn’t moved, even for a thousand years and you return it in present day back to its original position, doesn’t mean the object goes back in time a 1000 years.

When you move an object to its previous position, object reversal, it has nothing to do with time.

The rune reverses the flow of time of an object you select, the patent text says multiple times 'in a time-reversed manner'. It's not sending the object back in time but the object itself reverts to its previous historical states while the rest of the world stays in the present.

if there is a sizeable underground aspect on top of the new sky stuff, then it was always there and didn't get added in some drastic change since 2019.

Yeah agree, My point, never tried to say otherwise so maybe I just didn't explain myself properly (english is non my native language, so sometimes is really difficult for me).

Playing in a fully restored BOTW Hyrule would be absolutely incredible but I think that’s unlikely because of what we have already seen in the trailers with the same ruins and stuff. That Link new look is kinda confusing tho

My current prediction/theory is that the major "twist" yet to be revealed is time travel to ancient Hyrule, the era of Ganondorf and the Zonai. Time travel is just too convenient of a way to have a different version of Hyrule. Also, it is very easy to hide in the teasers and is something the series has done multiple times. The first hint are the new bokoblins and moblins designs which I believe is what they looked like in the past. I think Ganondorf is summoning monsters from his era into present Hyrule. Time travel provides a good way of telling the story of Ganondorf and the Zonai without relying on memories again. I would also like to mention that the TotK logo is 2 Zonai dragons depicted in a similar manner to an ouroboros, a symbol heavily associated with time. I think this might be hinting at a dual world mechanic between past and present Hyrule.

So essentially I'm thinking we will have the dual world mechanic between present and past Hyrule where changing the past helps you save Hyrule in the present. This concept is not new to the series but this will be the first time this mechanic will be done in a massive open world. This can also help explain how the new Zonai structures have suddenly appeared as we see in the latest teaser.

1. Present Hyrule is overtaken by malice and the towns will be in danger as seen in the key art/trailer. Rito village will deal with the storm while the Gorons are under threat from erupting Malice from death mountain.
2. Doing quests in past Hyrule will be essential in saving present Hyrule. This will be where the majority of new content will be - new towns, npcs, wildlife, enemies, etc. I also think this will be where most of the new dungeons are located. I expect some locations to be quite different from its present counterpart but the general map layout will be similar to present Hyrule.
3. The sky will have quests and dungeons of its own. I'm expecting at least one Zonai town here and will probably be where you obtain Zonai weapons and items like the dragon flame thrower and stone bird glider. I believe sky is where the remaining Zonai fled to after Ganondorf destroyed their kingdom as depicted in the wall carving in the last trailer. Somewhere in the sky will be how Link travels between past and present versions of Hyrule. The sky itself will have trials set up by the Zonai to test and train Link in a similar manner to the Sheikah shrines of BotW. The sky will be pretty big, but not enough to justify an entire game by itself. In a sense, the sky might be the "Great Plateau" of TotK.

This dual world mechanic allows Nintendo to create a fresh version of Hyrule to explore while simultaneously reusing the current Hyrule in a meaningful way. Obviously I could be completely off but I think this is something Nintendo would realistically do given they have done something similar in the past already.
i want this game ^

The rune reverses the flow of time of an object you select, the patent text says multiple times 'in a time-reversed manner'. It's not sending the object back in time but the object itself reverts to its previous historical states while the rest of the world stays in the present.
Where does it say this? It’s literally called “A Return Movement” is the exact phrase used in the text of the patent. We are just going to have to agree to disagree, if you want to believe that a metal spiked ball that was just rolled back up a hill to its returned movement position has some how traveled back in time thats ok.

Where does it say this? It’s literally called “A Return Movement” is the exact phrase used in the text of the patent. We are just going to have to agree to disagree, if you want to believe that a metal spiked ball that was just rolled back up a hill to its returned movement position has some how traveled back in time thats ok.

Here.

For example, the return movement of a designated object is such that the motion of the designated object that has been performed since a predetermined period of time (e.g., 20 seconds) before the current time is displayed backward (in a time-reversed fashion) as reverse motion from the current time. Therefore, the path display object T indicates the movement path of return movement in which the motion of a designated object that has been performed since a predetermined period of time before is performed backward (in a time-reversed fashion) from the current time until the predetermined period of time before.
[...]
In FIG. 12, when an operation of giving an instruction to start return movement of a designated object is performed, the designated object begins return movement and performs the immediately previous motion backward (in a time-reversed fashion). Specifically, based on data indicating a time series of positions (position data) and data indicating a time series of orientations (orientation data) which have been recorded since a predetermined period of time before the current time for each movable object OBJm, the designated object is moved, taking positions and orientations in the time series backward (in a time-reversed fashion).
[...]
In this non-limiting example, a designated object is caused to perform return movement in such a manner that the designated object returns to previously recorded positions and orientations sequentially backward (in a time-reversed manner) from the time point at which an operation of starting return movement is performed.
[...]
Thus, targets sequentially set while the designated object is performing return movement are set according to elapsed time such that the designated object returns to previously recorded positions and orientations sequentially backward (in a time-reversed fashion) from the time that an operation of starting return movement is performed.

As far as I'm concerned we're rewinding an object. I even say originally that "it's not sending the object back in time".

Last edited:
A dual world mechanic on a map as big as BOTW's would be kinda insane.
Nutty as it may seem in hindsight, the lack of something like this in BotW was part of my initial slight disappointment in the game (slight, yall 😅). After seeing so much of the map and noticing only four "dungeons," with several whole regions having no dungeon of their own, I 100% expected a LttP or OoT moment where something happens upon completing the Divine Beasts that then recontextualizes the whole map, adding more dungeons or a something of the sort in areas like Faron, Hebra, or Akkala. I was almost convinced the Springs of Power, Courage, and Wisdom would have something to do with it.

So when I beat the Divine Beasts and all I got was the game saying "cool, now go get Ganon!" I was like "wha..?"

In hindsight I appreciate and respect that there was just a massive Hyrule to explore with huge features (the area surrounding the Spring of Courage, Lanayru Promenade, Akkala Citadel, etc) that are just there to be there, but seriously, if we get a new BotW that does do the recontextualizing thing (I'm overusing that word I think), I'd be thrilled.

Obviously we're gonna get the sky and all that, but I hope there is another big surprise in TotK's map. A time shift for the light/dark world feel would be absolutely incredible.

Last edited:
Here.

As far as I'm concerned we're rewinding an object. I even say originally that "it's not sending the object back in time".
I see now, “In a time reversed fashion,”simply is describing the reversal of the motion and isn’t stating the object is going back in time. It’s a little more confusing than I thought. I can see why it has been taken out of context especially by so many YouTube channels and then used by some theorists as an example of how the game is showing time manipulation. That’s assuming they have read it.

I see now, “In a time reversed fashion,”simply is describing the reversal of the motion and isn’t stating the object is going back in time. It’s a little more confusing than I thought. I can see why it has been taken out of context especially by so many YouTube channels and then used by some theorists as an example of how the game is showing time manipulation. That’s assuming they have read it.
There is also the symbol on Link's arm if he uses this power, which resembles the ancient Kanji for 'time'.

Kind of cool we are nearly like, exactly 4 months from release, I think we were 240 days away from release when the last trailer dropped. Now we are basically 121, so half way there.

Just had this realization regarding the gap between BotW and TotK.

Skyward Sword -> BotW = 5 years and 4 months

In that time we got the following: Wind Walker HD, A Link Between Worlds, Hyrule Warriors, Majora's Mask 3D, Triforce Heroes, and Twilight Princess HD.

BotW -> TotK = 6 years 2 monthd

In that time we got the following: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Links Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Age of Calamity, and Skyward Sword....

Looking at it like this makes me realize how hard it was to be a Zelda fan the past few years compared to the lead up to BotW...

In that time we got the following: Wind Walker HD, A Link Between Worlds, Hyrule Warriors, Majora's Mask 3D, Triforce Heroes, and Twilight Princess HD.

In that time we got the following: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Links Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, and Skyward Sword....

Looking at it like this makes me realize how hard it was to be a Zelda fan the past few years compared to the lead up to BotW...
Age of Calamity too!

Totally forgot about that. I still stand by my point that the lead up to BotW was way better.
Oh for sure. It had a NEW (well, it reused the world) 2D zelda (that still feels better to play then LA Remake), a multiplayer zelda (lets put that on the same pedestal as the cadence), 3 remakes/remasters compared to 2 (say hyrule warriors definitive edition) and hyrule warriors had a 1:1 comparison.

but you are missing the most important one:
My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

In that time we got the following: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Links Awakening, Cadence of Hyrule, Age of Calamity, and Skyward Sword....

For me it’s even worse as I didn’t feel like playing the spin-offs and SS was released after I sold my Switch.
So Link’s Awakening(glad I never finished the original) was the only one I played in the end. Definitely a difficult time to be a Zelda fan.

It honestly felt worse to me the era between SS to BotW. I wanted to see the new HD Zelda.

Now I know what to expect, and can enjoy the spin-offs and remasters even more.

It was worth to wait for BotW and I expect the same for TotK.

Not that SS, one of my favorite Zelda games, wasn’t worth, but not on the level of BotW 🤷‍♂️

I just want them to unveil the limited edition or collector's edition for TotK. So we can fight over them, and watch the Nintendo online store crash...

I honestly doubt we'll get past Feb 12th, the three months mark before seeing something new about the game, so we won't have to wait long.

Boy oh boy remember how Bill said the title would reveal a lot something about the game and then the title dropped and wow that was something.

Did we actually learn anything from the name at all? Without additional context I’m pretty sure they’ve given us nothing at all, and in hindsight it’s super silly how secretive they were. Maybe they changed the name? “The Legend of Zelda: Caves and Co-Op” was probably the original name but was too on the nose.

*edited for a bit more accuracy on Bill’s comment

Last edited:
Boy oh boy remember how Bill said the title would reveal a lot about the game and then the title dropped and wow that was something.

Well, all he said was '“Those subtitles… they start to give little bits of hints about maybe what’s going to happen", I didn't interpret that as the subtitle involving some big reveal.

I do think they could've revealed it in E3 2021, a trailer that showed both [tear]drops and an ancient civilization. To me the title indicates a shift in direction away from the 'wild' (the fallen world of Hyrule reclaimed by wilderness) to the 'kingdom' - meaning both Hyrule rebuilt and the ancient kingdom in the sky.

Honestly when Bill made that comment they might not have even had a name yet, possibly deciding between names.

(I often feel like I'm the only one who likes this title 😞)

Well, all he said was '“Those subtitles… they start to give little bits of hints about maybe what’s going to happen", I didn't interpret that as the subtitle involving some big reveal.

I do think they could've revealed it in E3 2021, a trailer that showed both [tear]drops and an ancient civilization. To me the title indicates a shift in direction away from the 'wild' (the fallen world of Hyrule reclaimed by wilderness) to the 'kingdom' - meaning both Hyrule rebuilt and the ancient kingdom in the sky.

Honestly when Bill made that comment they might not have even had a name yet, possibly deciding between names.

(I often feel like I'm the only one who likes this title 😞)
I actually didn’t remember the quote itself, I just remembered they were saying it would reveal something about the game. I was probably mixing it up with the other quote about how we would see what makes it it’s own game as they began to show more. Regardless it really didn’t tell us anything - we are just guessing at this stage. They could have easily given the name in 2019 without spoiling anything.

Also I think the title is great.

We did also have BotW DLC. Trial of the Sword was a fun challenge, and Champions Ballad was pretty substantial. But I agree, it's felt like slim pickings as a Zelda fan the last few years. Particularly if you don't care for musou games.

I honestly love the title for the game. It retains the "of the" of BOTW, while being its own unique thing.
A mirror, even.
Tears is to Breath as Rain is to Wind. The sadness and joy in weeping, the inhales and exhales of life.
Kingdom is to Wild as Citadels are to Forests, as Queens are to Beasts.

I honestly doubt we'll get past Feb 12th, the three months mark before seeing something new about the game, so we won't have to wait long.
I’m wondering if we aren’t putting enough emphasis on Nintendo restocking all the Zelda Amibo‘s by Feb 2nd in order to figure out a date. When I heard this a few days ago, I didn’t think much of it because Im not into them so I don’t know much about them. But we have to ask ourselves why? My guess is to have them ready for what they show us, but that seems more like something they would talk about during a specific Zelda event, if they make all Zelda Amibos functional in some way for TotK. I flip flop between the end of Feb and the first week of February.

The best scenario how to showcase the first gameplay, I don't mean the trailer (that would be in the February Direct).

I feel like doing Treehouse Live with NOA developers would not be right thing to do, since they are not the developers of this game.

So.
Announce one day prior that there will be gameplay premiere the next day. It's not live streamed (only pre-recorded just like Directs are) and it's not done with NOA employees, that way the whole translating from japanese to english and reverse is gone. The developers themselfs are showcasing the game from Kyoto, just like Miyamoto and Aonuma showed first gameplay of BOTW, but of course this time it's direct-feed rather than off-screen.

A mirror, even.
Tears is to Breath as Rain is to Wind. The sadness and joy in weeping, the inhales and exhales of life.
Kingdom is to Wild as Citadels are to Forests, as Queens are to Beasts.
I love the concept of the title - just like BotW - and like Zelda's artistic titles overall (bar Skyward Sword =P ), but think - just like BotW - that it sounds wonky as heck to say out loud =P.
I’m wondering if we aren’t putting enough emphasis on Nintendo restocking all the Zelda Amibo‘s by Feb 2nd in order to figure out a date.
Don't know much about Amiibo, but they make a PR thing out of restocks right? I remember "such and such Amiibo is back in stock" during Directs. Would make sense if they did a Direct before Feb 2nd so they can say exactly that.

Would make sense if they did a Direct before Feb 2nd so they can say exactly that.
Yeah I agree that it makes sense that the direct be before Feb 2nd to announce it, but there is always a chance that the direct will actually be on Feb 2nd so they can announce that they are back in stock day of. After does seem a bit strange, but Nintendo always does things they way they want lol

If the amiibo restocks were by Nintendo themselves than I would see something but the fact that it's by French retailer? Yeah, that means nothing.

But yeah we are seeing this game either first or second week of February for sure.

If the amiibo restocks were by Nintendo themselves than I would see something but the fact that it's by French retailer? Yeah, that means nothing.

But yeah we are seeing this game either first or second week of February for sure.
Ah didn't realize it was only a French retailer. Okay, makes sense then if they don't mention it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom