• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

Isn't it so cute that they gave her the iconic Hylian Hood. She had one in TotK but she never had the hood up. Look at this little adventurer.

Nintendo-Direct-%E2%80%93-18_06_2024-52-46-screenshot.png
loz-echoes-of-wisdom-8.large.jpg

Hylian_Hood_-_TotK_icon.png

Btw I hope there are more outfit options besides color swaps.

I am now imagining an unhinged Zelda creating echoes of campfires...Dozens of campfires, across Hyrule fields...

Gosh, I hope the Echo ability can generate even half as much madness as Ultrahand.

Before we know it, ,there will be tables and beds making out the Sistine Chapel or something.

Isn't it so cute that they gave her the iconic Hylian Hood. She had one in TotK but she never had the hood up. Look at this little adventurer.
The whole intro feels like a nod to when people thought she might be BotW's protagonist because Link was wearing a hood in the first trailer and looked somewhat androgynous (as usual).

This, Prime Beyond and Perfect Dark being added to NSO made this a top-tier Direct for me. I am beyond elated.

Seriously, the amount of possibilities to go about tackling various puzzles and enemy encounters will be through the roof. The hook is ingenuous

With the echo ability, there's nothing stopping me from playing this game like Animal Crossing and just focusing on decorating the island.

With the echo ability, there's nothing stopping me from playing this game like Animal Crossing and just focusing on decorating the island.
The echo limit will probably be stopping you there, sadly. Does look upgradeable but I doubt you're going to be able to get enough to furnish more than like, a house

Then again given the tech's already there basically they might just give you an Animal Crossing house you can freely decorate

Then again given the tech's already there basically they might just give you an Animal Crossing house you can freely decorate

I hope so! It's about time Zelda got her revenge for all those times Link was doing silly side quests instead of rescuing here.

This game stole the show for me. And I say that as someone who's been waiting an eternity for Metroid Prime 4, and who was already thrilled by the simple addition of Zero Mission to NSO.

I'm not even particularly fond of Link's Awaking remake's art style, but it's just so obvious how much care has been put into this game. I'm going to watch it again with my kids now, they love Minish Cap and the Oracle games, this is a gift from the heavens!

Looks good, and that Switch Lite is insane!

Bit gutted that it means traditional Zelda is probably dead for at least another 12 months though :(

The echo limit will probably be stopping you there, sadly. Does look upgradeable but I doubt you're going to be able to get enough to furnish more than like, a house

Oh this will definitely have a house.

The possibilities....

Guess this means that we’ll get Wind Waker HD (4K Switch 2 version) in September 2025 and Twilight Princess HD (4K for SW2) in September 2026 (or 2027 depending if we get a Hyrule Warriors game, or even another 2D remakw)

Liking the vibes of this physics defying alternate world.

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-1-51-40-PM.png

If I had a nickel for every time the world of LttP has a distorted counterpart, I'd have... three nickels.

I don't know if they can solve the problem of lack of item functionality, the common problem with TOTK and BOTW is that if the whole system is completely since the physical chemistry engine, then it will result in a lot of homogenization of item props use, I hope they can design more functionality for each item then combine it with physics to use it.

I was underwhelmed by the Direct thinking it was gonna suck, then Link appears fighting Ganon and I think "ah another remake and looks like Link's Awakening, great"
But then
A chasm opens and Link falls on it
I was already knowing what it was gonna turn into from that point and DAMN, IT WAS EVEN BETTER THAN MY DREAMS OF IT COULD IMAGINE!!!
Map looks big and very charming, combat and exploration has infinite possibilities with the echo mechanic, story looks great.
Can't wait!!!

My babies

I really like this game's look for Zelda. It's a cute hybrid between TotK's more civilian look and the classic royal princess design in ALttP/Oracle (which of course is appropriate for a game that looks to fuse those gameplay experiencesβ€”they're definitely using the Hylian hood to allude to TotK).

l5TJKKW.jpg

Tri has four triangles here. In the upper right corner, you can see the Moblin icon is marked with two triangles.

hjvfkWz.jpg

After summoning the echoed Moblin, Tri has only two triangles. The echo is denoted on the overworld by the two triangles used to summon it.

BfW7esQ.jpg

The other two triangles zoom from Tri to summon a second Moblin echo. Tri doesn't have any spare triangles, so Zelda can't summon more echoes (until the Moblin echoes are dismissed/killed/etc).

This looks fantastic! With Metroid off to 2025 and not a lot of other heavy hitters, looks like Zelda will be making a play for my personal GOTY two years in a row...

Honestly, it's poetic that in this game, it's LINK who falls into an infinite abyss while Zelda gets to stand on a cliff looking over Hyrule.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

There is 100% going to be a side quest where a villager asks Zelda to decorate their house for a Heart Piece or something.

l5TJKKW.jpg

Tri has four triangles here. In the upper right corner, you can see the Moblin icon is marked with two triangles.

hjvfkWz.jpg

After summoning the echoed Moblin, Tri has only two triangles. The echo is denoted on the overworld by the two triangles used to summon it.

BfW7esQ.jpg

The other two triangles zoom from Tri to summon a second Moblin echo. Tri doesn't have any spare triangles, so Zelda can't summon more echoes (until the Moblin echoes are dismissed/killed/etc).
Nice catch!

Definitely getting more Triforce focus here. But not in a conventional way it seems. Obviously there’s the fairy’s name being β€œTri” but all the golden triangles behind it…

Surprising to see after BotW/TotK largely did away with its part in the lore, but curious how this handled it.

I like that jumping is just a part of your moveset, no rocs feather.

I'm guessing they recycled the Funko Pops to save on money and development time, which is fucked because Zelda is so popular now
recycled assets can be a good thing if they allow the developers to focus in other areas, which this game is clearly excelling in and turning 2D zelda on its head in a way we've never seen.

I know it's Zelda, but that we're getting so much fanart so quickly is a good sign. Suggests that the trailer is reaching people's imaginations a little bit.

This easily stole the show for me.

I know it's Zelda, but that we're getting so much fanart so quickly is a good sign. Suggests that the trailer is reaching people's imaginations a little bit.

Yep. Zelda and Prime will go a long way towards ensuring a positive narrative around the Switch's final year.

Re: Timeline - Game will take place depending on whatever they answer when they’re asked about it lmao
I know people like to believe, for whatever reason, that Nintendo doesn’t care about the Zelda timelineβ€”y’know, the same company who created it in the first placeβ€”and that it’s all just made up after the fact, but that has literally never been the case. Yes, gameplay is absolutely prioritized before story and timeline placement, but that doesn’t mean no thought is put into where the games takes place during development at all. On the contraryβ€”the developers have spoken about how they’d like to be able to make Zelda games without being confined to timeline placements because they have to make sure things match up and that can restrict what they can and can’t use for a game depending on its timeline placement, but they wouldn’t say that at all if they didn’t seriously consider the timeline placement during development in the first place! That’s also probably why they made a new, fourth timeline for BotW/TotK, so they can have more freedom while not ignoring the established canon. And they can always make new timelines whenever they feel it’s necessary, too.

Gosh, I hope the Echo ability can generate even half as much madness as Ultrahand.

Before we know it, ,there will be tables and beds making out the Sistine Chapel or something.
Link and Zelda being these two crazy kids who likes to start fires and break pots with their new abilities...

Love y'all passion about 2 hd artstyles in these 2d top down scrollers, but you got to stop hoping for otherwise and dissapointing yourself. The general audience of a franchise with such a far reach like Zelda, especially in an alternative to mainline more appealing to kids, will always imitate 3d for Nintendo i fear.

Personally to my taste, enivornments and atmospheres building is more important than just the font of the art, which feel both creative and loved in this and Link's Awakening, hoping to see more fleshed out in this direction at the September Direct, and dedicated direct if we so lucky πŸ™

I am extremely happy that there is a new 2D Zelda. I am also extremely happy that Zelda is the main protagonist. On the other hand, I can’t understand how it was incompatible to bring gameplay innovations while allowing her to fight with the sword, or even to fight at all. I hate the idea that under the pretext that she is a girl, they necessary have to imagine a gameplay that avoids fighting.

I’m happy for grezzo otherwise, the game seems to use the same engine as the LA remake, so it seems obvious that they will develop the game, and it’s deserved after years of proving themselves. Given the will to break in terms of gameplay, I am convinced that people who have worked on recent 3D Zelda are also heavily involved.

It’s kind of Zelda’s Mario wonder moment on switch. That’s great news.

For trolling across a series of drive-by posts you've been banned for 24h. - Dardan Sandiego, MissingNo., Phendrift
Man Zelda team is truly infatuated with sandbox slop huh

I'm not worried about whether or not items will play a smaller role, with the Echo ability already showcasing so many different uses, (Blocking a wind gust with something kind of replaces Iron Boots functionality from OoT and TP) and also that this is the first trailer - much like Ultrahand was accompanied by Fuse, Ascend and Recall, we're bound to see more rad shit later.

Like, if this game has longer/more complex dungeons than in BotW or TotK, there's some wild stuff that can be done with this concept, and whatever other abilities there are that utilizes this pilosophy, when pairing it with dungeon design.
I'm soooo stoked!!

I also wonder if other broken conventions from the 3D games will remain broken here. Clearly hearts are back, but I hope there's an extensive clothing system here too.

I think this trailer was all about showing off the echo mechanics. I'm sure we will get combat revealed later and please Nintendo let this be a linear game with dungeons and not open world
ALBW was not linear and had great dungeons. You had to rent some items and it worked really well, it still felt like a traditional Zelda game with more freedom. It could work for this game too, having to find some appropriate items to tackle a specific dungeon.

Liking the vibes of this physics defying alternate world.

Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-1-51-40-PM.png

If I had a nickel for every time the world of LttP has a distorted counterpart, I'd have... three nickels.
To many more nickles πŸ₯‚ whoever at the team keeps bringing up these at every brainstorming session a friend to me

Looks good! If they’re experimenting with how to incorporate more open-world elements for all future Zelda’s, that’s a-okay with me.

On the other hand, I can’t understand how it was incompatible to bring gameplay innovations while allowing her to fight with the sword, or even to fight at all. I hate the idea that under the pretext that she is a girl, they necessary have to imagine a gameplay that avoids fighting.
... but she is clearly fighting with the rod of echoes. She is actively lifting summoned rocks to throw at enemies, hopping atop a lethal spinner to slice them, carrying and deploying portable octorocks and cannons, launching fireballs, via a fireball like enemy etc. Summoning enemies is like an extension of the dominion rod, but it is not the only way to play. The rod can be a projectile weapon, which is still a form of combat. With the possibilities this offers, access to a long menu of objects to summon, having a sword feels redundant and it would result in people defaulting to the comfortable option instead of experimenting with the new mechanic.

Ultrahand in TotK existed alongisde the usual weapons, because Ultrahand is not a very snappy way of fighting things on its own. You have to summon and activate the Zonai weapons. Here the rod can be used with the Y button and it becomes no different from any ice/fire/thunder rod except you have access to vast more objects.

The best part about the deluge of fan art is that unlike when the same happened with a certain other game, Zelda gets to do things here.

Some people are disappointed that Zelda might be limited to indirect fighting (rather than using a bow or sword, etc.) but I see this as a way to encourage creativity in taking down enemies using a variety of methods. Guaranteed, you’ll be doing more than summoning Moblins and throwing rocks in the final game.

This looks like 2D Zelda was blended with TotK and I couldn’t be more excited!

Some people are disappointed that Zelda might be limited to indirect fighting (rather than using a bow or sword, etc.)
She isn't. How is throwing fireballs and using a cannon indirect fighting? I don't understand this complaint. The bow may as well be indirect because you don't stab people with the arrows yourself.

The trailer showed off the unique possibilities because projectile combat is commonplace in 2D Zelda, so it's demonstrating all the new and wacky stuff.

Back
Top Bottom