• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

I hope next Zelda games, both 2D and 3D, take place somewhere outside Hyrule. I think we’ve had enough iterations of Hyrule for one console generation lol
My biggest wish! And I say that as someone who was fine with TotK’s world reuse, it’d be disappointing to see them go “okay let’s make a new open world now” just to reuse the same Hyrule tropes!

Gonna start to throw rocks at the people I don't like from now on. If they try to sue me for assault I'll tell them this isn't a "direct attack" and therefore doesn't count.

I've spent most of the last six hours giddily talking about this with everyone I know (And watching reaction videos/the trailer again on YouTube) and I can confirm, there's an absolute LEGION of queer women already queueing up to buy this game.

So what’s the consensus… is this a spin-off? That was my initial reaction when I saw it.

But it is ‘The Legend of Zelda: Subtitle’ so is it mainline?

Really in two minds how to feel about this one, I like the art style, the gameplay looks interesting, and very reminiscent of BotW/TotK’s philosophy. Already looks leagues ahead of Peach Showtime. Seems as though ‘classic’ Zelda is dead for another year or so though, which really sucks (for me at least).

Very curious about those stalagmites with the yellow glow. They're marked prominently on the minimap, but they seem to be in innocuous locations. The one visible in the intro by the island cave isn't glowing. Save/fast travel points?
Just realized these have the same dot and dash markings as Ganon's chamber in the opening and the boss room with the rock thingy.
So what’s the consensus… is this a spin-off? That was my initial reaction when I saw it.

Why would it not be mainline?

Also, someone needs to call Samus, Lara Croft and every summoner-type characters in MMOs to tell them they aren't real fighters.

Those frauds can't even fight directly, fucking cowards.

Really in two minds how to feel about this one, I like the art style, the gameplay looks interesting, and very reminiscent of BotW/TotK’s philosophy. Already looks leagues ahead of Peach Showtime. Seems as though ‘classic’ Zelda is dead for another year or so though, which really sucks (for me at least).
I think the best way to put it is it’s a new mainline game that represents 2D Zelda’s jump to more freeform gameplay that BotW did for 3D Zelda.

My biggest wish! And I say that as someone who was fine with TotK’s world reuse, it’d be disappointing to see them go “okay let’s make a new open world now” just to reuse the same Hyrule tropes!
My thing is this: I'm down for the idea of not involving Hyrule for a spell...but what then? What changes? How much change can you introduce before "it isn't Zelda any more?" Or even, how much has really changed at all?

For now, I guess I'm more than fine with Zelda reinventing itself in other ways, like with BOTW, TOTK and Echoes' emphasis on mechanics that allow you to be creative. If Aonuma, Fujibayashi and co. are allowed to let us visit new lands, some day, then so much the better!

I am kinda mixed on them BotW-ifying 2D Zelda. Really hoping this has more in common with classic Zelda than the new style.
My hype went through the roof when I thought we'd be getting Link's Awakening sequel and ended up on the floor after seeing it's was a sandbox 2D Zelda.
It's a bummer for me, especially after really loving ALBW. So I'd love to see an evolution of that.

Then they followed up with two games that doesn't interest me(triforce heroes and this new one). If the game underperforms like triforce heroes I really hope they don't put the blame on playable Zelda. Still hope to see a Sheik game one day.

Either they didn't want to go without our usual protagonist on the cover or he's going to be much more relevant to the story of the game than Zelda usually is.
I totally expect the latter.
Link looks like he's covered in the same purple haze that Ganon is, which would imply that he's possessed and you have to fight him in the game.

If that's the case, it makes perfect sense to me why he'd be on the cover. Though to be clear, they don't need a reason to put him there, just like they didn't need a reason to put Linebeck on the cover of Phantom Hourglass. This complaint is so goofy.

• Have a new 2D Zelda during the last year of your console when everyone expected just ports and smaller games
  • Have said 2D game not only look amazing mechanically, but also star Zelda for the first time in the main series
  • Reveal the game 3 months before release
Love Nintendo

It's the next legend of zelda game after totk, it uses the same style of a remake of another mainline title and it's produced by Aonuma. It's a mainline zelda game, it just uses a different protagonist.

It's mainline, like all the other portable/2D titles.

But yeah it looks like the base map might be based on the ALttP map, but enlarged with new areas beyond it's borders. In the one screen we can see there is a big as mountain with a cave northwest of the lost woods.

can i just say, i'm not really feeling this box art. there's a lot i don't like about it. like, why is link on there at all? it's not like zelda is on the box art for other games in the series. the whole top half of the art just looks cheap and out of place. then there's the purple behind the logo. for me, it's a rare miss from nintendo when it comes to cover arts during the switch era.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P

I can understand Link being on the cover art, but he takes up as much space as Zelda when she is the main character. Gannon is even bigger.

I don't hate, but I definitely don't love it either.

can i just say, i'm not really feeling this box art. there's a lot i don't like about it. like, why is link on there at all? it's not like zelda is on the box art for other games in the series. the whole top half of the art just looks cheap and out of place. then there's the purple behind the logo. for me, it's a rare miss from nintendo when it comes to cover arts during the switch era.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P
maybe there're kaiju battles where Zelda summons a giant echo of link to fight against other kaiju echoes and they didn't show it and that's why the cover is like this.

I don't care if any criticisms of this game are "valid" or "correct", I won't hear them, I'm afraid I'm simply too hyped.

I hope we get some nice inside cover art. Maybe a map. Pity they don't have a limited edition version with a artbook like Link's Awakening.

Put me in the camp that's not keen on the box art. I love this visual style in motion and, if they nail the sound design like Link's Awakening, it'll be pretty excellent presentation. But the box art, like Link's Awakening isn't great; at least the latter was less busy than this. I think I'd have preferred an alteration on the shot of Zelda looking out over Hyrule.

Hopefully they do a good collector's edition with a nice big box and some quality art on it, like Link's Awakening itself. That way I can splash out for the first time in a while. I don't think I've plumped for a Switch special edition since Metroid Dread.

I can understand Link being on the cover art, but he takes up as much space as Zelda when she is the main character. Gannon is even bigger.

I don't hate, but I definitely don't love it either.
It's giving me the vibe that Zelda is going to have to fight a possessed Link in the end. Shadow Link type deal.

Maybe called Puppet Link lol

maybe there're kaiju battles where Zelda summons a giant echo of link to fight against other kaiju echoes and they didn't show it and that's why the cover is like this.
I know this is a joke about the size but I do think the box is teasing a boss fight where Ganon puppets Link against Zelda’s own summons.

This is extremely hype. I swear there’s been naysayers on the 2D franchise getting another entry anytime soon due to the complexity of the 3D games but here we are.

And also - it didn’t once cross my mind that it would be considered a spinoff. It’s the next 2D Zelda game, and you play as Zelda instead of Link. That’s it. That’s the difference. It’s like playing Peach in 3D Mario World, not like playing Peach in Princess Peach Showtime.

Edit: Also, hell yes to seeing this art style return. A bit divisive I recall for LA, but I loved it. I hope it means Grezzo was allowed to helm a new entry.

I don't really see why this would be considered a spin-off. Nintendo isn't marketing it that way. This is a proper 2D Zelda.

The more I look the trailer, the more blown away I am
The gameplay mechanics are simply great, because are simple but with so many possible in-game implementations

So who is going to direct this game? Imagine if it was Koizumi (he's probably too busy)
I'd say either Kentaro Tominaga or Yoichi Yamada, and presumably both men are working on the game. The latter is a long time Zelda veteran who was the supervisor for Link's Awakening and he was absent from Tears of the Kingdom.

Tominaga was part of the brains trust for A Link Between Worlds, alongside Shiro Mouri (now on 2D Mario at EPD 10) and Hiromasa Shikata (now at EPD 4 and the brains behind the 1-2 Switch games). Tominaga was director for the Breath of the Wild expansion, and was then only credited as Special Thanks for TotK. My guess is he'd be the front runner to be the director, with Aonuma producing and Yamada involved high up somewhere in the design group.

Scratch that - I forgot Tominaga actually left EPD in 2022. Yamada is perhaps the front runner, or someone else has emerged.

Man I’m in love with the boxart. It’s my new background. It has soooo much going on and so much character. It almost looks like ganon is puppeting/possessing link.

So who is going to direct this game? Imagine if it was Koizumi (he's probably too busy)
I know it's not him but this looks like an Aonuma directed game so much especially with it's hyperfocus on puzzle gameplay instead of combat.

Something interesting to me is that while 3D Zelda has embraced resource management, we've seen topdown Zelda eschew bomb bags and quivers in the Four Swords games followed by the 3DS games, and now this game has no need for either because of the echoes. Instead of the magic meter, we have Tri's echo management system, which should presumably have some way to dismiss unused echoes to regain full capacity, so the player won't be in a position where they need to wait for their abilities to recharge or have to search for consumables. Zelda can likely buy permanent upgrades of some kind with rupees, but I like that the topdown games are differentiating themselves by shying away from some of the more common RPG elements.

Gave in and started a playthrough of Oracle of Seasons today, since we're not getting a remake anytime soon lol

What if Yasuaki Iwata is composing for this one? He co-wrote BotW but was missing for TotK... Hearing the tasty jams already in here that I missed in TotK.

Back
Top Bottom