• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

I don't know if they can solve the problem of lack of item functionality, the common problem with TOTK and BOTW is that if the whole system is completely since the physical chemistry engine, then it will result in a lot of homogenization of item props use, I hope they can design more functionality for each item then combine it with physics to use it.
If it's just a physical property, it's particularly easy, as most of it has already been solved in TOTK.

But once designed for a special purpose, there is still a long way to go. Unless they can achieve the feat that they did in TOTK.

The way I can think of to solve this problem is to digitize temperature and other properties, but this can lead to the game being filled with annoying mathematics.

In addition, they can only design special effects for each item, which will result in an exponential increase in workload.

There's one crowd thinking just because she used a table this is a cozy game, another crowd mad there's a female protagonist, and then the rest of us in the middle ready to play it

Okay, someone has to say it—Toy Zelda for Smash? lol

(I’m not sure that would actually happen, but it’d be neat—and then we’d have both Toon and Toy styles represented in Smash!)

Some people are disappointed that Zelda might be limited to indirect fighting (rather than using a bow or sword, etc.) but I see this as a way to encourage creativity in taking down enemies using a variety of methods. Guaranteed, you’ll be doing more than summoning Moblins and throwing rocks in the final game.

This looks like 2D Zelda was blended with TotK and I couldn’t be more excited!
Yeah, I'm actually really liking this direction for Zelda.

I'll still hope that Zelda gets some magic of her own, even if it's the likes of Din's Fire, Bombos Medallion, etc. Maybe even a Sheik transformation! But this is really a nice way to give her a style of her own, so long as we're leaning into the "sorceress" angle.

I'm already hoping that Sakurai's been made aware, so that Smash!Zelda could get at least some of these abilities as upgrades. Why be stuck summoning an armor, when you could summon so much else~?

Some people are disappointed that Zelda might be limited to indirect fighting (rather than using a bow or sword, etc.) but I see this as a way to encourage creativity in taking down enemies using a variety of methods. Guaranteed, you’ll be doing more than summoning Moblins and throwing rocks in the final game.

This looks like 2D Zelda was blended with TotK and I couldn’t be more excited!
Encouraging creativity is great. Giving people maximum freedom is great. Here, from what we see so far of course, there is no choice of close combat. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to, as in recent 3D Zelda, but you should have the opportunity if you want.

Here it seems that you simply can not use a sword in a Zelda game and I have a lot of trouble understanding how it would not be bad news, nor how it would prevent the gameplay evolutions that also look great to exist.

Rewatching the trailer and I’m beyond hyped for the game. The game looks phenomenal and full of creativity and wonder, I’m sorry for the people who wanted a more traditional style of zelda but I’m kind of leaning on a more open world style game for this in the same vein of botw. Especially with the whole solve every puzzle with your imagination I don’t think the progression will be linear.
Btw with this the switch has become the first and only Nintendo console to have 3 mainline Zelda games. Insane to think about

Man Zelda team is truly infatuated with sandbox slop huh

Dunno how much of this comment is referring to the "open world-ness" of sandbox design, but it looks to me like a largely linear game, perhaps with less item-gating.

Encouraging creativity is great. Giving people maximum freedom is great. Here, from what we see so far of course, there is no choice of close combat. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to, as in recent 3D Zelda, but you should have the opportunity if you want.

Here it seems that you simply can not use a sword in a Zelda game and I have a lot of trouble understanding how it would not be bad news, nor how it would prevent the gameplay evolutions that also look great to exist.
Because it would trivalize the entire summoning mechanic. As much as people like to claim give people the option, they would go right around and claim that the summoning mechanic is pointless because all I need is the sword.

Our current understanding of the game is that it revolves around summoning objects and creatures to do you bidding. Could there be more direct ways of combat? Sure, the rod is contained to one directional button which indicates that there will be other ways to do combat but also if it's not...it's fine? Like, I feel like we saw tables than completely shut down everything else to just make it about that.

In the BOTW GDC presentation, they presented a simple 2D demo. Its characteristics are extremely similar to this game. I think this is a continuation of their previous work.
I really don't think the Zelda team is obsessed with sandboxes, and it's clear that what they're trying to achieve is that the player's imagination for prop interactions is presented in a free-form way, where all the puzzles don't have to follow a linear solution, but only depend on the player's imagination for the props.

Obviously the huge success of botw and totk has convinced Nintendo that "freedom" is the way forward for Legend of Zelda, but I hope they can create more imaginative level and map designs based on that freedom.

I think the point is not having that quick, easy answer.

If you could easily clobber any random enemy at any time, it wouldn't be what they're aiming for.

I really don't think the Zelda team is obsessed with sandboxes, and it's clear that what they're trying to achieve is that the player's imagination for prop interactions is presented in a free-form way, where all the puzzles don't have to follow a linear solution, but only depend on the player's imagination for the props.

Obviously the huge success of botw and totk has convinced Nintendo that "freedom" is the way forward for Legend of Zelda, but I hope they can create more imaginative level and map designs based on that freedom.
That's not what I replied to, maybe I clicked the wrong button, or the comment I originally replied to was edited.

Do you have anything better to do than just troll endlessly in threads while claiming you are the superior person because you are so negative?
I never said slop was bad. I play Ubisoft games, I enjoy open world and sandbox design slop every now and again.

Direct confrontations with members are unnecessary. Report, ignore, go on.

—————

I forgot to mention: the way Ganon died was weird. Makes me believe it wasn’t the real Ganon. Maybe the big bad is a new villain or an old one?

I’d like to think this Ganon was actually the Echo of a real one, produced by the real villain.

Maybe the real villain is the opposite of Tri the Fairy?

Get it? Tri the Fairy
Tri Fairy
Tri Fair
Triforce lol

In all seriousness, I think there could be a dark counterpart to Tri and that counterpart is our big bad

Absolute fire, would love to see more spin offs like this in already established engines. Zelda is getting the better game over Peach.
I was thinking that the next one could be Ganondorf, but I’d hope he’d be 3D game over 2D

…Speaking of which: weve never had a 2D Ganondorf, right?

can i just say, i'm not really feeling this box art. there's a lot i don't like about it. like, why is link on there at all? it's not like zelda is on the box art for other games in the series. the whole top half of the art just looks cheap and out of place. then there's the purple behind the logo. for me, it's a rare miss from nintendo when it comes to cover arts during the switch era.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P

can i just say, i'm not really feeling this box art. there's a lot i don't like about it. like, why is link on there at all? it's not like zelda is on the box art for other games in the series. the whole top half of the art just looks cheap and out of place. then there's the purple behind the logo. for me, it's a rare miss from nintendo when it comes to cover arts during the switch era.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P

It is pretty bad for what they are used to. Almost to the level of a movie poster with the need to spread all the cast around for recognition.

It is even worse if you compare it to Link's Awaneking stunning boxart. They tried to follow the same composition but missed on every mark.

Also, it is extremely weird to have used a games environmental image for it and not an ad-hoc render. The low quality texture of the grass and the path stand out.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P
I think it's kind of a bland and ugly boxart but Link up top there engulfed in Ganon's purple flames seems to tease a Link boss fight.

Of all possible directions they could have taken a new 2D Zelda, they chose the best possible one.

The game seems to be integrating a lot of elements from BotW/Totk, ranging from the open-ended gameplay direction to some of the character/world design.

Simply can't wait.

Of all possible directions they could have taken a new 2D Zelda, they chose the best possible one.

The game seems to be integrating a lot of elements from BotW/Totk, ranging from the open-ended gameplay direction to some of the character/world design.

Simply can't wait.

I can't believe they put Wuthering Waves in Zelda. No but seriously this game looks so fun, I love the concept of Echoes. My only concern is that they could make Zelda too overpowered and the game too easy.

I think the point is not having that quick, easy answer.

If you could easily clobber any random enemy at any time, it wouldn't be what they're aiming for.
I understand that and I fully respect that creative approach. I can’t help but be a little disappointed because it’s been so long that I wanted a new 2D Zelda. The sword Is part of the DNA of Zelda.

I’m not negative though, the game looks great and I have no doubt that Zelda will be great in it but it’s a bit frustrating, and I don’t think I’m the only one who feels that way. Even if it doesn’t stop me from being very excited about this game.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P
Either they didn't want to go without our usual protagonist on the cover or he's going to be much more relevant to the story of the game than Zelda usually is.
I totally expect the latter.

Apropos of nothing, both Peach and Zelda getting their own games in the space of a year is brilliant.

Don't think this would have happened a decade ago.

Nailed it

Them not making a Zelda-led game because they can't come up with ways to make Zelda unique enough from Link is something Nintendo would do. This is the company that will set aside entire franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero until they can think of new ideas and basically sat on Metroid Dread for 20 years until the tech could achieve their vision. So I do think they would want a playable Zelda to be different from Link. I think the game still have the same Zelda series structure (exploring, puzzle solving, etc.) but Zelda-herself would play differently.

I am really excited for this... BUT! I am a little concerned for the game-feel. I really hope they have some solution to make summons, especially for combat, snappy and feel satisfying. I can very much see a future where choosing Echoes feels clunky and intrusive to do every 3 seconds of gameplay. We need favorites, context sensitive options, sorting options, everything to make it so you don't have to sift through a menu of 100 things just to beat up a Mobiln.

I hope we don't have a repeat of how clunky Fuse occasionally felt to use in TotK since the UI seemed similar to it in the trailer. I also hope there's not a ton of delay on the summon. I just want it to feel good to control!!

That aside, this concept is really creative and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

I understand that and I fully respect that creative approach. I can’t help but be a little disappointed because it’s been so long that I wanted a new 2D Zelda. The sword Is part of the DNA of Zelda.

I’m not negative though, the game looks great and I have no doubt that Zelda will be great in it but it’s a bit frustrating, and I don’t think I’m the only one who feels that way. Even if it doesn’t stop me from being very excited about this game.
I get it. The last year I've been playing 2D Zelda-likes on the reg and came away with a new love for the Oracle duology and Minish Cap, and found two of my new all-time favourites in Alundra and Tunic. The 2D Zelda formula is the purest and most perfect expression of the franchise to me and that this simple, elegant formula has fallen to the wayside for so long is disheartening, especially when the first new one in a decade is as much of a deviation as the last.

Ultimately what's piqued my interest is that 2D Zelda's always had a strong puzzle focus where figuring out how to get around was the main point of exploration which was fully brought out in Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap, and it seems like they're taking that concept to the next level by centering the entire game around a single puzzle-focused gimmick. Maybe I don't have a sword, but I do have a head-mounted cannon and that's the next best thing.

GQXiOP2b0AAj34P
I think it’s… fine. But apart from what you mention, my main issue is that it kinda looks too much like the LA one. Which is inevitable given the same art style, but the angle and everything.

But yeah I’m overall fine with it

I'm so happy that this has the The Legend of Zelda title, solidifying it as a mainline game and not a spin-off.

I like the cover? :S

Anyway, we dont know what ways the game goes, Link might be playable at some point or be more involved in the gameplay than what the trailer showed.

Apropos of nothing, both Peach and Zelda getting their own games in the space of a year is brilliant.

Don't think this would have happened a decade ago.
and they are (largely) not regressive in their depictions and abilities!

Already mentioned most of my thoughts.
Some additions:
Same as world/characters/designs: to save, familiar, bland. It's hyrule to a T.
The cover just reflects that.

Gameplay: I'm just worried that it lacks any bite cause it's to open/easy to break it. But I hope I'm wrong.

I see this as a way of differentiating Zelda from Link, from a gameplay perspective. At the end of the day, this is a game where you play as Zelda; she should come with her own gameplay style that sets her apart from Link while having her own unique ways to solve problems.

If they just gave her a sword and a bow, this would risk feeling like just another game where you play as Link — except this time, he happens to look like Zelda.

I think this unique gameplay gives her a chance to shine on her own, while maintaining so much of what makes the 2D Zelda series special.

I hope next Zelda games, both 2D and 3D, take place somewhere outside Hyrule. I think we’ve had enough iterations of Hyrule for one console generation lol

Back
Top Bottom