• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

Some one have the story plot of the game, where on the timeline is located?
I’m guessing this may very well take place on the BotW/TotK timeline. It’s certainly not the Adult Timeline, and while there are some similarities to FSA (like the Gerudo appearing), I don’t think it takes place on the Child Timeline either. Most people will probably assume it’s on the Downfall Timeline, perhaps near the Oracle games since it features both kinds of Zora and seems to have a lot of OoT/MM elements as those games did, but based on the very Zonai-like stuff in Link’s possession, I feel that it’s more likely that this game takes place in the fourth timeline (split prior to OoT) where BotW/TotK take place—and hopefully this game might do a better job at establishing the fact that this is indeed a new, separate timeline, as TotK should have proved as much based on featuring a Ganondorf and Imprisoning War that totally conflicts with what’s established in OoT, among other things, but many people still fail to see it that way.

Easily game of the show. I am so, so excited for this. Definitely on the Fallen Hero timeline if the River Zora are any indication.
I'm inclined to believe so. I think all the 2D games minus Minish Cap and PH/ST have been shoved on that timeline, on purpose or not. :LOL: Especially since this looks like the LttP/LBW Hyrule and it uses the iconography of those classic titles like the Zelda design and blue pig Ganon.

Though BotW / TotK have kind of established their own chronology that is less dependent on older games. The timeline is effectively SS --> OoT --> BotW --> TotK. This could be pre-BotW and this Ganon is a manifestation of the Calamity, or post TotK and he's... back again, lol. I can believe either.

I'm glad 2D Zelda isn't dead, and that's enough for me.

I do wish that this wasn't reusing the art style from the Link's Awakening remake, however.

Kind of feeling the opposite tbh, 2D Zelda is going to be all re-used maps since like, Spirit Tracks? I think one of Tears of the Kingdom's worst qualities was its map reuse actually, it didn't go nearly wild enough with remixing it.
I fully agree with TOTK, I found that part was what dragged it down for me which was a shame, but seeing it doesn't seem to be fully 1:1 I'm more okay with it (I'd still much prefer a fully brand new map but nostalgia is a nice thing)

I was very much wanting ALBW remake in the Link's Awakening style so set in the same Hyrule is a wonderful compromise for me!

god I hate that artstyle so much
understood why they had it for la and ik people loved it but really a shame that our big new 2d zelda for the next 5 years or whatever has it (personally ofc)

gameplay looks quite interesting though and really happy we finally have playable zelda! i only hope they don't completely drop storytelling.

also looks like the lttp world + so really hope they place it after those games to further extend that long ass saga lol

Last edited:
Where are they dead-eyed, they are clearly making multiple facial expressions in the trailer.
This is clearly a troll post.
To paraphrase a well known King of Hyrule :

Mah boi ! This Ignore button is what true Famiboarders strive for !

I'm going to venture a guess that the next 3d Zelda will most likely have Zelda as a controllable character, either as a dual protagonist or with Zelda as the main character.

I'm all for them to keep using these artstyle and assets. Hope the Oracle remakes are not too far away (and also that they make the cancelled Oracle of Secrets game).

This looks like a fan dream in the best possible way. It looks like they're trying to integrate the variety and nonlinearity of BotW/TotK into a topdown (with sidescroll!) game, and that's absolutely what I want.

I'm wondering what kind of limit there will be on echoing, since I know Link's Awakening had some performance issues. It looks like Tri has a certain number of triangles (three or four in the trailer), and each active echo uses at least one of Tri's triangles, but I hope they let you go all out with active echoes in the endgame. I'd love if there's some kind of multiplayer thing to let you do summoning fights against opposing princesses.

This art style is my favorite Zelda art style and Link awakening was legit one of the best Zelda games ever

But these gimmicks are getting a bit out of hand. It's a bit too silly for my taste that I will be using multiple beds in top of each others to cross high areas or mountains in a supposedly a grand adventure

It’s not a gimmick. A bed is also just one example of something you could use. Everyone will go about things in their own way and according to whatever echos they have created.

This is actually a good idea of continuing the spirit of the LA dungeon builder idea. You can move around scenery in the overworld... but they become tools to traverse it. And there will 100% be a house building feature in this game where you can customize Zelda's fort.

I'm inclined to believe so. I think all the 2D games minus Minish Cap and PH/ST have been shoved on that timeline, on purpose or not. :LOL: Especially since this looks like the LttP/LBW Hyrule and it uses the iconography of those classic titles like the Zelda design and blue pig Ganon.

Though BotW / TotK have kind of established their own chronology that is less dependent on older games. The timeline is effectively SS --> OoT --> BotW --> TotK. This could be pre-BotW and this Ganon is a manifestation of the Calamity, or post TotK and he's... back again, lol. I can believe either.
FSA isn’t on the Downfall Timeline, either! And the timeline of BotW/TotK has to exclude OoT as we know it because TotK’s backstory—which is what should be OoT, with Ganondorf’s origins, the Imprisoning War, and all that—is totally at odds with the actual OoT. So, presumably, BotW/TotK takes place on a fourth timeline that’s split sometime after (if not during) SS. I hope this game will make that more clear, assuming it takes place on that timeline after all.

Love that it‘s got his own identity but still feels very true to the franchise from the looks of it.
It was high time Zelda gets her own game.
Also love that it was unmistakably announced at the next instalment in the franchise and not given a spin-off treatment.

Looks really interesting. I wonder if this started more as a Link led game but they realised that people would just his items and sword (or expect to) rather than use the key gameplay mechanic so was changed to be fronted by Zelda. Looks pretty content full with lots of things to play around with.

Aside from the hype of getting a LoZ game with Zelda as the protag, I'm looking forward to seeing what the denizens of the internet do with the echo system.

dungeons (or dungeonlikes, whatever you want to call them) with the echos could be so good
include some exclusive items and enemies within to copy for the first time and you get the benefits of item specific design + still having the botw open type puzzles that could be solved in multitude of different ways

like imagine finding a big hammer to copy within one of the dungeons and that being the main gimmick within it. but there are still puzzles where you can use a throwable torch you got from some random overworld enemy to light a lamp on fire, or spawn some flame enemy

I'm hoping we'll get some echo items that are exclusive to certain dungeons. That would feel just as satisfying imo.
This is what I’m thinking as well. TotK’s dungeons emphasize certain Zonai devices or mechanics but still have that freedom. I expect this to lean in that direction as well, though maybe more explicitly focusing on certain echoes.

It’s a good way to thread the needle on having each dungeon focus on a different tool without veering back to single solution lock-and-key puzzles

iu

Can't wait!

The biggest highlight of the Zelda presentation for me was Aonuma's haircut. Seriously, he's looking increasingly cooler.

Yo, what if the final boss is Hilda without the ALBW rug-pull this time?

It might not be Hilda - and I hope it isn't - but it does look like Zelda is usurped in some manner in this game:

• She meets Tri in what looks to be a prison cell
  • She dons a hood presumably to hide her identity
  • An old woman, possibly a version Impa or another Sheikah, looks to be fighting the guards in one scene.

Very curious about those stalagmites with the yellow glow. They're marked prominently on the minimap, but they seem to be in innocuous locations. The one visible in the intro by the island cave isn't glowing. Save/fast travel points?

Tbh if anything reusing the art style will allow it to really come into its own with a game entirely designed around it, instead of a remake. I don't get the complaints about reuse considering the best Zelda game consists almost entirely of reused assets from OoT

I'm down with this. Way more exciting than another rehash of an older title (or just this generally vague idea of "classic Zelda") and giving Zelda her own distinct gameplay is a great idea.

The amout of good to great Zelda games we got on the Switch is already pretty darn high and if this lands, what a way to go out on.

And yay, I don't have to play Twilight Princess, WOOO!!!!

It's really wild to think that Nintendo just has these games ready to go and doesn't feel compelled to hold them even for just a year to position them as games available on both the Switch and Switch 2. Like, this is a big brand new Zelda game! It's not branded as a spin-off!

I was hoping for a Sheik type of ninja game for the first Zelda playable game tbh, however I was blown away. Amazing reveal and and really loving the new copy powers. The game is almost out also, how much better it can get!

I was hoping for a Sheik type of ninja game for the first Zelda playable game tbh, however I was blown away. Amazing reveal and and really loving the new copy powers. The game is almost out also, how much better it can get!
To be fair, Retro apparently did prototype such a Sheik game but it just wasn't promising enough to enter full production.

like imagine finding a big hammer to copy within one of the dungeons and that being the main gimmick within it. but there are still puzzles where you can use a throwable torch you got from some random overworld enemy to light a lamp on fire, or spawn some flame enemy
Screenshot-2024-06-18-at-1-04-22-PM.png

I will unleash an army of cuckoos on this fellow.

..... Am I going to have more fun playing as Zelda than Link in 2024?!?!

iu

Straight up conjecture at this point but if we have a 2d Zelda made for switch and it seems to be using the general ALttP/ALBW geography, I'm wondering if that more nostalgic map will be this game's "great plateau" especially given that we see some unfamiliar areas too.

To be fair, Retro apparently did prototype such a Sheik game but it just wasn't promising enough to enter full production.
I recall reading something along those lines, so I was under the expectation that was the type of game we would eventually get. I was gladly wrong. Zelda with a sword and bow and fine and awesome, I still hope I can play as Sheik one day, but I am totally amazed and gladly surprised about the game mechanics of this game.

Apparently the prototype gameplay involved playing whack a mole with wolves... glad it was shelved then.

I do think this game opens the door for more Zelda led games in the future where the gameplay is centered around her 'wisdom'. So a stealth game that emphasizes cunning and planning with non traditional combat like is totally viable, one that goes all in on stealth mechanics.

I think this trailer was all about showing off the echo mechanics. I'm sure we will get combat revealed later and please Nintendo let this be a linear game with dungeons and not open world

After re-watching the trailer a bunch I'm pretty sure this is now my most anticipated game of 2024. Everything looks so good and I feel like there's a ton of potential in the mechanics and the world

I also absolutely adore how the camera shifts sometimes, especially with that opening shot.

Hopefully the game won't always be top-down.

I am now imagining an unhinged Zelda creating echoes of campfires...Dozens of campfires, across Hyrule fields...

I also absolutely adore how the camera shifts sometimes, especially with that opening shot.

Hopefully the game won't always be top-down.
There is, at the very least, Link’s Awakening style side scrolling sections in the game

Back
Top Bottom