• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

The copy mechanic is a really cool idea. Glad to still get games like this that carry on the creative energy of Nintendo's portable systems!

Imagine the possibilities for secrets and little easter eggs in this game with the mechanics.

I usually have higher expectations for games produced by EPD. This is mainly about what level the things played in the trailer will reach in the game.
What? I don't get it

The dead-eye characters just make it look really cheap. I hope this is the last game with this artstyle.

Like I'm exciting for the game and the gameplay will probably be good, but man the artstyle is rough.
Where are they dead-eyed, they are clearly making multiple facial expressions in the trailer.

I sent a trailer link per Whatsapp to my wife, with the instructions to show it to our youngest daughter.

She answered with a video of our girl Freaking Out like she just won at the Olympics.

Needless to say, i'm a good dad, i already promised her to preorder it!

(And i totally would've preordered it to begin with!)

Have the best trailer for this Direct. The only thing that worries me is who made this game.
I'm assuming it's a EPD and Grezzo collaboration like TFH. The game directors and lead designers will be coming from Nintendo.

โ€˜I hold the Triforce of wisdom, and the pen is mightier than the swordโ€™, thought Zelda. โ€˜But do you know what smashes up moblins even better? A honking great big boulderโ€™.
โ€œThe pen is mightier than the sword, but both can be smashed by rock.โ€

-Zelda โ€œEchoes of Wisdomโ€

I would guess that Grezzo are definitely on board to provide heavy lifting given we're seeing the Link's Awakening style be reused, but it wouldn't surprise me to see EPD take more of a hand in this than they did Link's Awakening, and especially to see EPD staff in key design positions. I said it a few months ago, but given the two key concepts they're going for here - playable Zelda and rethinking the conventions of the 2D series - are the concepts Aonuma has talked about himself as ambitions for the Zelda team, then the creative impulse and design has to have come from EPD itself. Grezzo are definitely involved, but I'd guess under EPD 3's direction. I'm hoping the musical arrangements and sound design match up to Link's Awakening 2019, which was glorious to listen to.

One thing I'm cautious on is the heavy similarity of the game's world to Link to the Past/Link Between Worlds. There's some identical lay out there, but then there's also some very dramatic and different features that simply aren't there in the other games, like the huge volcano in the northwest of the map, or Gerudo town. My guess is we're looking at an expanded map that has some LttP elements in the centre of it.

One final thought. The world similarities to LttP/LBW are one thing, but check out Zelda's design - doesn't she remind anyone else of Ravio? Are we going back to Lorule, at all? If people and objects are vanishing from Hyrule, where are they vanishing to?

This is the kind of stuff that reminds me of why I'm so invested in gaming in the first place. To have a new entry in a franchise you've been invested in since childhood, and constantly see it evolve, it's such a special feeling.

I've been digesting this for a while and definitely need to rewatch but this hits all the notes of both what I personally would want out of a new 2D Zelda and also more objectively what I think it should have in order for the series to remain fresh. Zelda as a playable character, a complex and flexible core mechanic, my favourite artstyle in the series and what looks like your usual plethora of tons of nice environments and tricky puzzles.

The Echo ability opens up so many cool and perhaps borderline ridiculous possibilities, but I also can't wait to explore that world. It looks so cosy, yet alluring.

But most of all, a freaking September date.

Can't! Wait!

Imagine the possibilities for secrets and little easter eggs in this game with the mechanics.

What? I don't get it
What I am concerned about is the content that was not shown in the trailer.
Is this trailer showcasing the entire game or just a corner๏ผŸ
EPD games usually make me trust more, as the system displayed in their trailers often exceeds my expectations in actual games.

This is the kind of stuff that reminds me of why I'm so invested in gaming in the first place. To have a new entry in a franchise you've been invested in since childhood, and constantly see it evolve, it's such a special feeling.

I've been digesting this for a while and definitely need to rewatch but this hits all the notes of both what I personally would want out of a new 2D Zelda and also more objectively what I think it should have in order for the series to remain fresh. Zelda as a playable character, a complex and flexible core mechanic, my favourite artstyle in the series and what looks like your usual plethora of tons of nice environments and tricky puzzles.

The Echo ability opens up so many cool and perhaps borderline ridiculous possibilities, but I also can't wait to explore that world. It looks so cosy, yet alluring.

But most of all, a freaking September date.

Can't! Wait!

You know, i'm already so stoked to play this together with my little girl.

And on the other hand, i'm "dreading" that i can't go all in on this game on my own with my own pace. ^^

This is the first actual HD 2D Zelda (not HD-2D, hehe), that isn't a remake tethered to older maps and mechanics.

That's kind of nuts? Like the last full 2D game that was on a home console was Link to the Past, then the subsequent entries were on GB/C, DS, and 3DS. Great systems, but limited in how much they could push 2D Zelda (kudos to PH/ST for experimenting with a new control method). Even then, they still pushed it!

Item fusing started out in Link's Awakening (though with just like, 2-3 items) as well as a 'jump' mechanic via Roc's feather, the Oracle games had a bunch of interesting mechanics (seasons/time travel) and tools (magnet gloves, baby), Minish Cap had the shrinking mechanic, PH/ST had a unique control scheme and traversal methods + 2 screens, and Link Between Worlds had the very fun wall merge. All great games and I'm just scratching the surface of each of them.

This game is being made for the ground up on the Switch. There's so much they could do. It's a dream (but not a literal one, like Link's Awakening ;) )

The dead-eye characters just make it look really cheap. I hope this is the last game with this artstyle.

Like I'm exciting for the game and the gameplay will probably be good, but man the artstyle is rough.
I'm guessing they recycled the Funko Pops to save on money and development time, which is fucked because Zelda is so popular now

Ohh the fairy's head tail thingies are your echo points, that's neat visual design. Seems to be upgradeable too, there's 3 or 4 depending on the point in the trailer. Most enemies seem to be 2 point Echoes

Interestingly that also means the wind up cannon thing isn't a summon since it doesn't have that indicator

The only that makes me happier than Zelda having her own, is the return of the BIG BLUE BOAR, GANON, himself!

After being "hijacked" by Yuga last time, and largely replaced by the Raoh-like Ganondorf in most other times when Ganon appears, it just does my heart so well to see one of my favorite baddies back in the forefront. Oh, and he's got Link on his side, too, it looks like!

the massive link and ganon in the background of the key art isn't landing for me lol

is it an artistic choice or are they supposed to look like Fury Bowser

I figured we were due a brand new 2D Zelda this year but I wasn't expecting it to be so cool!

Princess Zelda? honestly we really need to start referring to her as "Queen Shit" cause that's what that was

The more blocky art style lends itself well to the echo mechanic, the LA remake have very defined objects so it works well for what they're going for.

Yes but all of those have been closely related to each other

This doesn't look like a Link's Awakening sequel or anything
The Oracle games reuse Link's Awakening's sprites. Minish Cap uses the Wind Waker art style.

Who cares. They have to build tons of new assets for the rest of the world anyway, since LA was just a remake of a Game Boy game. Not to mention creating all the assets for individual items that are echo'd which means they can't just be baked into the environment maps.

Ah, got it, so that arbitrary distinction means Nintendo is just being lazy and greedy for this one. ๐Ÿ™„
It's certainly not something worthy of celebration for a franchise that has taken pride in radically changing its artstyle as it sees fit throughout the years according to the themes and tone of the game

This was definitely the highlight of the direct for me. It was something I knew nothing about and was not expecting at all. Not much else in the show for me.

It's certainly not something worthy of celebration for a franchise that has taken pride in radically changing its artstyle as it sees fit throughout the years according to the themes and tone of the game
It certainly is for people who loved the art style and wanted to see it again. That you're suggesting this game is so tonally and thematically different from Awakening that it demands a new art style comes across as disingenuous.

You can dislike the art style or its reuse, but implying it's lazy and greedy to use it again and then trying to justify it with flimsy logic is goofy.

I'm not a fan of the art style and I'm still not sure how well the new gameplay will suit my personal tastes, but in Zelda team we trust. Just happy to have a new 2D Zelda after soooooo long

I was wondering if it'd be a completely different Hyrule but I thought it seemed really familiar, I guess it'd be nice to revisit ALTTP and ALBW's Hyrule

Kind of feeling the opposite tbh, 2D Zelda is going to be all re-used maps since like, Spirit Tracks? I think one of Tears of the Kingdom's worst qualities was its map reuse actually, it didn't go nearly wild enough with remixing it.

This art style is my favorite Zelda art style and Link awakening was legit one of the best Zelda games ever

But these gimmicks are getting a bit out of hand. It's a bit too silly for my taste that I will be using multiple beds in top of each others to cross high areas or mountains in a supposedly a grand adventure

It's not like there was much else you could do with GB/GBC hardware

Barely, you really wouldn't be able to tell if it weren't for the promotional artwork
You brought up the point about games being closely related. And there are numerous top down action RPGs on GB, so the Oracle games could've looked more different. They didn't bother, because it's a waste of time, and it looked good already.

It's irrelevant if games are related to each other, because they can pick whatever art style they want. In this case the art style for LA was well received, and it fits the abstract toybox look they are going for of Zelda playing around with echoes, so they used it again. It really can just be as simple as 'they liked how it looked and wanted to make a full game like it'. And who cares if it saves time to reuse the engine, if it means getting a more expansive game. A lazy devs argument is such a poor way to frame a simple dislike.

I don't know how much more I want to go into this with someone who unironically call this Funko Pops in a direct where a literal Funko Pop game was shown.

I think it is the 'same' Hyrule but not 1:1.

Gotta say, casting Zelda as a summoner is an interesting direction which I think I love. I always thought a game focused on her should zero in on her aptitude for magic and include a more cerebral approach to combat.

Do think it's a tad disappointing that it appears to be reusing the LTTP/ALBW setting in this instance. Presumably there will be a heavy focus on the rifts and wherever they lead to. Hopefully it isn't another play on the Dark World and is instead an alternate map/area that stands on its own.

I think it is the 'same' Hyrule but not 1:1.
Yep - you can clearly see a huge volcano and Zelda traversing a lava area and that's definitely not in Link to the Past or LBW. You also get glimpses of different types of forest, huts in a swamp, a version of the Deku Tree and Gerudo Town, all of which are new locations for this version of Hyrule.

edit - I'm also pleased to see side-scrolling sections return.

Easily game of the show. I am so, so excited for this. Definitely on the Fallen Hero timeline if the River Zora are any indication.

But the idea of a 'dungeon item' will most likely not exist (you'll just be echoing whatever's in the dungeon) and linearity can most likely be broken by summoning various objects at will.
I'm hoping we'll get some echo items that are exclusive to certain dungeons. That would feel just as satisfying imo.

Back
Top Bottom