• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom Announced for Switch, Releases September 26 (Playable Zelda)

That was unexpected. I really miss top down view Zelda, and although this is not my favorite artstyle, it's clean enough and the gameplay looks interesting. I trust that the Zelda team will do a good job.

Now, do I use my remaining voucher on this or TotK?

Love how deadpan Link looks when he sinks into the abyss
this-is-fine.jpg

I don't think there are any timelines anymore. It's just Nintendo doing what they want.
So the official Zelda Portal website is lying? Why would Nintendo throw out the existing canon and intended timeline of the series that’s been present since the beginning? I don’t understand how anyone can unironically believe that… It makes absolutely no sense and there’s no evidence to support it. BotW and TotK have been separated from the existing officially acknowledged timelines, yes, but that doesn’t mean the previous games suddenly don’t connect anymore, nor does it mean BotW/TotK don’t connect to them at all, either—it just means that, for the time being, Nintendo isn’t disclosing exactly where BotW and TotK take place in relation to the existing timelines, but based on in game context from BotW/TotK and Nintendo officially listing them outside of the existing timelines, it’s safe to assume that they do in fact take place on a new fourth timeline (one that very well may branch from the time travel in SS, hence why I call it the Hylia Timeline—because it would be a timeline in which Hylia doesn’t become mortal and continues to be worshiped as a goddess).

Last edited:
I'm impressed not only by how the echo mechanic feels like them adapting some of TOTK's mechanics to traditional Zelda, but also how the enemy summoning feels like an evolution of how Zelda could possess Phantoms in Spirit Tracks (and is probably the closest we'll ever get to a monster-taming Zelda game). Really neat stuff all around that I can't wait to experiment with.

But if there's one thing in this trailer that got me the most excited... it's the return of the Deku Scrubs. I've always loved those wackos and wished they would return to the series, and now here we are!

Seeing a 2D Zelda game revealed wasn't a huge surprise, and even seeing it starring Zelda wasn't a huge surprise thanks to the rumors. But seeing the gameplay of this new title? THAT was a huge surprise. It's the freedom of BOTW/TOTK in a 2D game but with a big dose of silly. The possibilities seem huge. I also am surprised it's releasing in just a few months.

I'm eager to play and it's great to think that more details on this game can't be far away.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I feel like this is cool news

Manifesting Echoes of Wisdom Zelda Amiibo!

I wonder if the Amiibo compatibility will be either items, Echoes or both!

Imagine using the Wolf Link Amiibo to summon it!

We see a segment at night time as well as a rainy section. I wonder if this will be the first 2D Zelda to have a progressive day/night system and randomized weather.

Apparently the Japanese title of the game translates to something like "Borrowed Wisdom", and instead of being called "Echoes", they're "Borrowed Things". Somehow it feels like the theme of borrowing will end up being important to how the story plays out.

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet, but the mountain in the north of A Link to the Past's Hyrule was actually Hebra in Japanese. It was only called Death Mountain in the lava-filled Dark World version, unlike English where both Light and Dark versions had the same name. So making it snowy and adding a new Death Mountain to the northwest is just updating it to a more modern interpretation of Hebra while at the same time adding in another major landmark that was previously missing from this version of Hyrule.

Also, assuming they don't pull a twist on him like ALBW did, this is going to be pig Ganon's first appearance as the main villain in a Zelda game since... A Link to the Past.

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet, but the mountain in the north of A Link to the Past's Hyrule was actually Hebra in Japanese. It was only called Death Mountain in the lava-filled Dark World version, unlike English where both Light and Dark versions had the same name. So making it snowy and adding a new Death Mountain to the northwest is just updating it to a more modern interpretation of Hebra while at the same time adding in another major landmark that was previously missing from this version of Hyrule.

Also, assuming they don't pull a twist on him like ALBW did, this is going to be pig Ganon's first appearance as the main villain in a Zelda game since... A Link to the Past.
I had honestly assumed that something besides Ganon was behind the rifts

Anyone else going to try and snag that Zelda themed Switch Lite? I’ve been glued to my notifications just waiting on the inevitable Wario64 tweet and praying to Hylia I get it.
Nah. I kind of want to get a Switch Lite but I'm waiting for a super cheap Black Friday bundle. I'm sure this one will be $200

I had honestly assumed that something besides Ganon was behind the rifts
The first one does specifically open up around his spear embedded in the floor, but it's definitely more than possible, which is why I'm not exactly confident he'll still be the villain by the end of the game. Will probably have a better showing than ALBW where he was summoned just to get his power stolen by another villain though.

The first one does specifically open up around his spear embedded in the floor, but it's definitely more than possible, which is why I'm not exactly confident he'll still be the villain by the end of the game. Will probably have a better showing than ALBW where he was summoned just to get his power stolen by another villain though.

Zelda is totally going to be echoing both Link and Ganon who will commence to fight alongside her against a greater villain. Need the combined Power of Ganon, Courage of Link, and Wisdom of Zelda a.k.a the Tri-Force to ultimately defeat what ever evil is at large here.

Zelda is totally going to be echoing both Link and Ganon who will commence to fight alongside her against a greater villain. Need the combined Power of Ganon, Courage of Link, and Wisdom of Zelda a.k.a the Tri-Force to ultimately defeat what ever evil is at large here.

That would make for an amazing climatic use of the echo ability and I'm now going to be so sad if it doesn't happen.

Still, Tri the fairy and the Tri-Rod's names certainly do make it seem like there may be more of an emphasis on the Tri-Force in here than there has been in a long time.

Clearly the villain will be the spirit of his spear, Force

That would make for an amazing climatic use of the echo ability and I'm now going to be so sad if it doesn't happen.

Still, Tri the fairy and the Tri-Rod's names certainly do make it seem like there may be more of an emphasis on the Tri-Force in here than there has been in a long time.

Oh absolutely! We have Zelda captured again and Link fighting to save her. I’m guessing some other antagonist who was aware of the Tri-Force made a power play to take the Tri-Force by capturing Link and Ganon whole they were busy battling each other. The work was already done with Zelda captured, but the villain didn’t anticipate Link’s last minute rescue of Zelda.

The use of ‘Tri’ being used so heavily here between the naming of the fairy and the rod (as you said), seems to imply imo that the goddesses are involved in someway with aiding Zelda in her quest.

I'm eagerly awaiting this game and blown away by this announcement. I can't believe a mainline playable Zelda game is truly happening.

I'm curious if this game will (a) have the performance issues of Link's Awakening and if not then (b) if there's a possibility of buttery smooth 60 fps we saw in A Link Between Worlds. I'm guessing (b) is nigh impossible on Switch but I would love to see the performance issues from Link's Awakening ironed out for this new game.

I think it's cool we get to play as Zelda, and we don't have a ton of info but, from we have it seems like it's further going down the sandbox/collectathon route, which is super disappointing. What they explained of the Rod just seems like collecting stuff with extra steps. And hopefully I can't just stack beds up to get wherever I want.

This feeling is based on very little info and how I feel about BoTW and ToTK in retrospect. BoTW was enjoyable while I played it but 100% a game I will never play again. Totk was cool for maybe the first half and then it felt like a straight slog. Still haven't finished it, and got it day one.

I just personally dislike collect/gather/sandbox stuff. It's boring. Really hope this isn't how it came across to me on first glance.

Also, reusing the art style from links awakening is bleh, but my wife and kid will love it so that's a win

I think it's cool we get to play as Zelda, and we don't have a ton of info but, from we have it seems like it's further going down the sandbox/collectathon route, which is super disappointing. What they explained of the Rod just seems like collecting stuff with extra steps. And hopefully I can't just stack beds up to get wherever I want.

This feeling is based on very little info and how I feel about BoTW and ToTK in retrospect. BoTW was enjoyable while I played it but 100% a game I will never play again. Totk was cool for maybe the first half and then it felt like a straight slog. Still haven't finished it, and got it day one.

I just personally dislike collect/gather/sandbox stuff. It's boring. Really hope this isn't how it came across to me on first glance.

Also, reusing the art style from links awakening is bleh, but my wife and kid will love it so that's a win
I generally agree that "collect/gather/sandbox stuff" aren't that interesting a concept to me, but I think possibly narrowing the scope in a smaller scale game would actually make it more appealing. With a bit more limitations/boundaries, I think I'd be less overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to get or try and can focus more on the nature of the puzzle itself if that makes any sense.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem as off-putting to me as totk with those mechanics in terms of expansive open sandbox. This seems more manageable to me.

I generally agree that "collect/gather/sandbox stuff" aren't that interesting a concept to me, but I think possibly narrowing the scope in a smaller scale game would actually make it more appealing. With a bit more limitations/boundaries, I think I'd be less overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to get or try and can focus more on the nature of the puzzle itself if that makes any sense.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem as off-putting to me as totk with those mechanics in terms of expansive open sandbox. This seems more manageable to me.
Oh for sure, I feel ya. Way too little info for me to make an actual claim, but that is indeed my first impression, unfortunately

Echoes cost triangles and Zelda has finite triangles. So I wouldn't worry about a infinite bed ladder for example.

Echoes cost triangles and Zelda has finite triangles. So I wouldn't worry about a infinite bed ladder for example.
Triangles is definitely how they are going to gate keep world exploration but I do wonder how many triangles you will have by end of game

I'm so curious about the rifts.

The idea of having interdimensional rifts that acts as damage/a source of evil is straight out of the second Bowser level in Galaxy 2, and I love it.

I'm eagerly awaiting this game and blown away by this announcement. I can't believe a mainline playable Zelda game is truly happening.

I'm curious if this game will (a) have the performance issues of Link's Awakening and if not then (b) if there's a possibility of buttery smooth 60 fps we saw in A Link Between Worlds. I'm guessing (b) is nigh impossible on Switch but I would love to see the performance issues from Link's Awakening ironed out for this new game.
I wonder if Grezzo is involved in this, which I suppose they most likely are.

If it was running on Nintendos internal engine, the performance would likely be good. But if it's a Grezzo game, it's probably just the same engine as LA.

That was unexpected. I really miss top down view Zelda, and although this is not my favorite artstyle, it's clean enough and the gameplay looks interesting. I trust that the Zelda team will do a good job.

Now, do I use my remaining voucher on this or TotK?
You mean the 100 dollar game vouchers? Use it on Tears of the Kingdom. For one that's a 70 dollar game that you'd get for the equivalent of 50 dollars, and also its one of the best games ever made. Also make sure, if you decide to get Echoes of Wisdom, that your voucher doesn't expire before September.

Triangles is definitely how they are going to gate keep world exploration but I do wonder how many triangles you will have by end of game
I can't imagine it'll be more than eight. Anymore than four would start to look ridiculous trailing behind Tri, and I can't imagine them stacking several layers. At most I could see three layers where you get four triangles and then can use each triangle three times like how you could upgrade the battery in TotK to be double it's full capacity, and I only assume three layers worth of upgrading because the obvious connection to the number 3 and the Triforce.

Nah. I kind of want to get a Switch Lite but I'm waiting for a super cheap Black Friday bundle. I'm sure this one will be $200

Definitely don’t expect it to be less than $200. It does however include a 12-month individual NSO Online + Expansion Pack membership according to the description of it on Nintendo’s website. So assuming it’s not more than $200, that’s a free $50 included.

The only thing I'm not a fan of are these white title cards they adopted in the Switch-era of the Zelda series.

Anyone else notice how the core mantra of modern Zelda is "everything"? (With some exceptions, of course)

Breath of the Wild: "Link can climb everything."
Tears of the Kingdom: "Link can glue together everything."
Echoes of Wisdom: "Zelda can echo everything."

I can't imagine it'll be more than eight. Anymore than four would start to look ridiculous trailing behind Tri, and I can't imagine them stacking several layers. At most I could see three layers where you get four triangles and then can use each triangle three times like how you could upgrade the battery in TotK to be double it's full capacity, and I only assume three layers worth of upgrading because the obvious connection to the number 3 and the Triforce.
It is tough to say for sure. You clearly start with three and then gain at least one more. It would be weird if that was the only upgrade you got so we can assume you probably get more. If they are awarded for completing dungeons then 8 dungeons + 1 for completing the tutorial area/hyrule castle escape would be a total of 12.

The trailer achieved the highest number of views in Direct, and it was really well crafted. But now my concerns about this game have intensified. Because this trailer is very close to release. I'm worried that the core of this game is just echos. I originally thought there should be three sub level but important systems.

The current situation is already good, I am only concerned about the difference between 9/10 and 10/10.

Both TotK and this are games about revisiting worlds you know and cracking them open with your absurd and creative new tool box. That's really cool!

But

For me the heart of this series is exploration, discovery, and wonder. I hope the next game is about saying "wow" at some brand new top quality authored content, not about saying "lmao" at other players zany antics on socials.

I don't want this to be the permanent new philosophy of the series :/

Anyone else going to try and snag that Zelda themed Switch Lite? I’ve been glued to my notifications just waiting on the inevitable Wario64 tweet and praying to Hylia I get it.
I was so excited, just checked my local stockist (Australia) and oh, the price ;-; I already have the TOTK OLED and the OG Switch— very tempted but also not sure if I was to splurge so much on something that might just gather dust when there's a new system around the corner which is such a shame

The trailer achieved the highest number of views in Direct, and it was really well crafted. But now my concerns about this game have intensified. Because this trailer is very close to release. I'm worried that the core of this game is just echos. I originally thought there should be three sub level but important systems.

The current situation is already good, I am only concerned about the difference between 9/10 and 10/10.
I am pretty sure this game has some tricks up its sleeves that haven't been revealed. In the trailer there is a shot with a d-pad selection UI on which the tri-rod is mapped to the right button. The other three are blank so I think it is possible there may be three more abilities that haven't been revealed.

I am pretty sure this game has some tricks up its sleeves that haven't been revealed. In the trailer there is a shot with a d-pad selection UI on which the tri-rod is mapped to the right button. The other three are blank so I think it is possible there may be three more abilities that haven't been revealed.
I know it, so I said three secondary systems. But it may also be replaced by some simple function buttons, such as opening maps, and so on.

Are there any theories for what the yellow statues found on the overworld and marked on the map are?

Throughout the whole trailer, the other three directions were left blank and I was left puzzled by it. Could we be looking at a game like BOTW/TOTK, where Zelda actually gets four core abilities and the Tri Rod's echoes are only one? That seems too ambitious, but still...it's clearly going to be filled by something you don't start the game with.

Both TotK and this are games about revisiting worlds you know and cracking them open with your absurd and creative new tool box. That's really cool!

But

For me the heart of this series is exploration, discovery, and wonder. I hope the next game is about saying "wow" at some brand new top quality authored content, not about saying "lmao" at other players zany antics on socials.

I don't want this to be the permanent new philosophy of the series :/
To be fair I enjoyed the exploration of TotK too. It was a big part of it, it’s just that the ‘look at what I made’ is easier to encapsulate in an image/gif

Are there any theories for what the yellow statues found on the overworld and marked on the map are?

Throughout the whole trailer, the other three directions were left blank and I was left puzzled by it. Could we be looking at a game like BOTW/TOTK, where Zelda actually gets four core abilities and the Tri Rod's echoes are only one? That seems too ambitious, but still...it's clearly going to be filled by something you don't start the game with.
It does seem ambitious but this is a brand new console Zelda game. Link's Awakening was fairly basic due to the fact that it was a direct recreation of a Gameboy game, I could easily see this game being an extremely ambitious 2D Zelda. Even with echoes being probably the main ability you get I think this will be very ambitious.

I don't like the utterly uninhibited direction of totk because it undermines the integrity of the game's design, but I would like the idea of an entire world of items that are free to interact with props based on the player's imagination, but it would definitely need to be limited.

For example, limiting resources and increasing the uniqueness of each item's functionality so that players don't feel like there's an infinite amount of expendable resources when interacting.The problem with totk is obviously that it's too uninhibited, the developer's aim is to default to the fact that you're already familiar with botw's maps and wreak havoc on the whole structure using items and props, I don't think this will be repeated in future Legends of Zelda due to the use of brand new maps, but I do hope that they're going to be able to create more imaginative level designs based on the freedom they've been given.

I know it, so I said three secondary systems. But it may also be replaced by some simple function buttons, such as opening maps, and so on.
Could just as well be spaces for shortcuts so you don't have to navigate the Tri rod Menü. (Kinda like the Autobild in total)

Well see.

Back
Top Bottom