• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Game Awards 2023 | Nomination Thread | Announcement at 9a PT / Noon ET / 5p GMT

Mario Wonder getting shat on on Twitter. A lot of people not happy “a 2D rehashed Mario platformer” made it
These awards bring the worst of our community to the table, I have to Say. I'm Always amazed by the the level of wildest takes like this are posted everyday. It's never good, and probably it's best for me to stay away from this kind of conversation on X and social media.

Last edited:
people have been so sidetracked arguing about whether RE4 Remake was "new enough" to deserve a GOTY nod that nobody noticed a pretty 1:1 remake of some GBA games sneaking into the strategy category

and it deserves to win imo; while Pikmin 4 is the better overall game, as a strategy game specifically Advance Wars kinda blows it out of the water

The strategy category is a god damned travesty. No Age of Wonders 4, Jagged Alliance 3 or Shadow Gambit? I know that most gaming websites are console-centric, but it still sucks to see those types of games getting completely ignored when it comes to awards.

Please refrain from talking about Cyberpunk 2077. It is banned on Famiboards. -xghost777, meatbag, Tangerine Cookie
Dang, the Cyberpunk comeback story is pretty cool. Almost done the DLC and started with a fresh save when it came out and its been a blast.

Surprised Spider-man 2 or RE4 remake made GOTY and not more interesting stuff like an indie pick or Hi-Fi Rush.

hmmm while not being well know sites TOTK did just win GOTY on 3 of them
I know it's still going to come pretty close but I think some people are underestimating the more casual appeal TOTK brings compared to BG3

I'm wondering if they had already slated the announcement of the Starfield DLC for Game Awards, which is going be a tad bit awkward now.

Well Todd, you could always announce that rumored Elder Scrolls: Oblivion remaster instead!

I wonder when the Player’s Voice voting for that category will start. I’m sure Starfield is going to have its fanbase all over that.

We could even see a reimagining of the Sonic vs Genshin Impact drama last year.

I was kind of hoping both of Alan’s actors ended up getting a shared nomination. Melanie was good (outside of her British accent breaking through here and there), but I was surprised she ended up getting in over those two.

I'll be honest, Pikmin 4 does NOT deserve best family game of the year. No game that delegates Player 2 to a mere helper with very limited agency like in Mario Galaxy deserves it. Especially when the option for actual multiplayer was right there in Pikmin 4, just make player 1 the captain and player 2 Oatchi. It would even have made for some fun asynchronous puzzlesolving (and more Dandori :p)

J8kMgdI.png
Bloober Team’s feud with Konami is so fucking funny to follow, lol.

They posted a “the game isn’t canceled, blame Konami for lack of news” message today so I assume it’s not at TGA.

The worst publisher and worst dev in gaming teamed up and the results are that they don’t even like each other.

They posted a “the game isn’t canceled, blame Konami for lack of news” message today so I assume it’s not at TGA.
I think it'll be a while before Geoff collabs with Konami for TGA anyways, outside the chance of them ever being nominated for something. Them banning Kojima from the show that one year really didn't sit well with him.

This might be too nerdy of a concept for game awards but I feel like:
Baldur's Gate 3's emphasis is more on its narrative options as opposed to gameplay innovation/physical stuff.
Zelda and many Nintendo games are like pretty much what I think of when it comes to Videogames. Like primarily only a game and focus on the mechanics.

Baldur's Gate 3's emphasis is more on its narrative options as opposed to gameplay innovation/physical stuff.

This isn't true. Baldur's Gate 3 is also really impressive from a systems perspective and is getting a lot of praise for how accurately it translates D&D's flexibility into combat. The game has an incredibly deep combat system and is really impressive for the level of environmental interactivity it allows.

hmmm while not being well know sites TOTK did just win GOTY on 3 of them
I know it's still going to come pretty close but I think some people are underestimating the more casual appeal TOTK brings compared to BG3
Very Nice. People forget that Baldur's Gate is very Niche

This isn't true. Baldur's Gate 3 is also really impressive from a systems perspective and is getting a lot of praise for how accurately it translates D&D's flexibility into combat. The game has an incredibly deep combat system and is really impressive for the level of environmental interactivity it allows.
More than one ability element affecting an object/event/person? It's not real time.
environmental stuff was done in divinity. I'm assuming you mean you can like seduce enemies and stuff in combat and outside. Or steal.
Idk can you give a specific example that shows interactivity of multiple elements rather than just one? and how it affects the physicality of the battle as well?

I feel like DnD is the opposite of what I think a videogame generally is. Videogames are more rooted in ludic experiences that provide challenges for the player to overcome that can have a single or multiple solutions. DnD was always a create your own fun/adventure/story type experience.

And honestly I think that is why DnD maintains relevance, it is a completely different experience. Most players do not like mechanical/tactical versions of DnD. They prefer the more fluid, and contextual gameplay that it is known for.

You play a videogame RPG for buildcraft, stats and gear treadmills and new enemy types that provide specific challenges. You play DnD to beat a boss how you want to beat it, the boss fight is a reflection of your character's personality and story.

Last edited:
Why do people say BG3 is a good dungeons and dragons game? Have they not played TOTK? There are dungeons and dragons in it, and Nintendo made it, so it is better. BG3 is a niche game. Only a few people play it. Zelda is played by millions in each country for decades.

Why did the official TGA X account mention Baldur's Gate 3 so much higher than Tears of the Kingdom in that list? A hint of things to come?

SteamSpy is approximating BG3 sales on Steam to be at least 20M. Even if you don’t trust those numbers (I don’t myself) it’s at the very least surpassed 10M. It might have sold better than TotK outright.
those numbers are straight-up bullshit, last reported by them was 5 million by the devs themselves if it passed 20 let alone 10 million I would have already been reported by trusted sources

Why did the official TGA X account mention Baldur's Gate 3 so much higher than Tears of the Kingdom in that list? A hint of things to come?
TGA are now pushing Alan Wake 2, who the fuck is Alan anyway? Generic name unlike Zelda.

Damn, you can’t even vote Pikmin 4 for players voice?
As it should be.
evil-defeated.gif

those numbers are straight-up bullshit, last reported by them was 5 million by the devs themselves if it passed 20 let alone 10 million I would have already been reported by trusted sources
That wasn't from the devs ... that was from the Belgian Embassy ... on a chinese forum. Lmao.

Like those numbers are probably legit, but they're from only 2 weeks after the game came out. The game also looks to be having much better legs than Tears of the Kingdom, it's been in the top 5 selling Steam games for months now and Steam is generally a much more active digital marketplace than the Eshop.

J8kMgdI.png
Bloober Team’s feud with Konami is so fucking funny to follow, lol.

The worst publisher and worst dev in gaming teamed up and the results are that they don’t even like each other.
I kind of don't get why people are so concerned about getting updates for a remake. Like, I could get it if it was a remake that was drastically changing things, but chances are the Silent Hill 2 Remake is going to be very safe. Even as a Silent Hill fan I'm not exactly waiting optimistically for news.

It's just weird, even if I get that people are waiting to see what the future of the franchise will be.

As it should be.
evil-defeated.gif

That wasn't from the devs ... that was from the Belgian Embassy ... on a chinese forum. Lmao.

Like those numbers are probably legit, but they're from only 2 weeks after the game came out. The game also looks to be having much better legs than Tears of the Kingdom, it's been in the top 5 selling Steam games for months now and Steam is generally a much more active digital marketplace than the Eshop.
i still heavily doubt it's close to TOTK 19.5 million even if Steam is obviously more popular than the eshop, especially when the PlayStation version fell out of the top 10 after September

I won’t lie, I kinda wish voting for stuff like this was done the following year if for no other reason than to at least play all of the stuff that interests me and to get games that come out late in the year more of a shot

i still heavily doubt it's close to TOTK 19.5 million even if Steam is obviously more popular than the eshop, especially when the PlayStation version fell out of the top 10 after September
Yeah the 20+ million number I'm not defending and don't really have an opinion on personally. Steamspy I think actually usually downplays how popular games are because IIRC the way they calculate is by taking user data and Steam has cracked down on that by making users private by default.

That being said there's definitely reasons to doubt the 20-50 million number, in this steam page SteamSpy's estimation was 10-20 million back around launch when we know the game would have only been in the 2.6-5.2 million range. Funnily enough, that thread was made one day before the Belgium embassy post.

That being said, I don't think it's much of a story either way. Both games are incredibly popular, and they both have different means of selling. Baldur's Gate 3 has very long legs and there's no reason to think it won't continue to be that way, it is astonishgly popular and will be during the holidays. Zelda on the other hand had a lot of hype before release and funneled a lot of sales at launch. Two equally valid ways to sell your games. I'll also add that the Playstation version of BG3 is $70, so it's possible even people who prefer to play on PS and/or have a bad PC decided to try it on PC anyways.

I won’t lie, I kinda wish voting for stuff like this was done the following year if for no other reason than to at least play all of the stuff that interests me and to get games that come out late in the year more of a shot
You mean more like the way the Oscars does it? Yeah I agree. But I wonder if the scheduling of TGA is set to act as one last big marketing push for games before Christmas 👀

Yeah the 20+ million number I'm not defending and don't really have an opinion on personally. Steamspy I think actually usually downplays how popular games are because IIRC the way they calculate is by taking user data and Steam has cracked down on that by making users private by default.

That being said there's definitely reasons to doubt the 20-50 million number, in this steam page SteamSpy's estimation was 10-20 million back around launch when we know the game would have only been in the 2.6-5.2 million range. Funnily enough, that thread was made one day before the Belgium embassy post.

That being said, I don't think it's much of a story either way. Both games are incredibly popular, and they both have different means of selling. Baldur's Gate 3 has very long legs and there's no reason to think it won't continue to be that way, it is astonishgly popular and will be during the holidays. Zelda on the other hand had a lot of hype before release and funneled a lot of sales at launch. Two equally valid ways to sell your games. I'll also add that the Playstation version of BG3 is $70, so it's possible even people who prefer to play on PS and/or have a bad PC decided to try it on PC anyways.
yeah sorry, if BG3 or TOTK wins it's not going to come down to sales numbers. I kinda do box office tracking for fun (film buff) but false numbers like when the rock tried to say black adam made money (it didn't) kind triggers the monkey part of my brain

Steamspy I think actually usually downplays how popular games are because IIRC the way they calculate is by taking user data and Steam has cracked down on that by making users private by default.
Not necessarily. The way SteamSpy works is that it takes the limited numbers it has and extrapolates from them which is why you get wildly broad ranges like the 20-50m for BGIII.

Unpopular opinion, but this is one of the most embarrassing things to come out of The Game Awards
I can't help but find him charismatic, tbh. It definitely helps that Brothers and It Takes Two were excellent (still need to play A Way Out). I hope he's there this year.

When is Geoff going to hype this event up? I swear in past years he’s already doing it. Not much to hype or he learned it’s better to not say anything and blow people away when they watch the show

Back
Top Bottom