• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Game Awards 2023 | Nomination Thread | Announcement at 9a PT / Noon ET / 5p GMT

Zelda and BG3 are magnificent, and their commitment to player freedom - though expressed in vastly different ways - should be applauded.

Will be ecstatic if either of those win, which seems likely. It's a bloody strong year in any respect.

I do wonder (ha) if Mario and Zelda end up splitting a lot of the vote between more Nintendo focused outlets who participate. It didn't stop BotW from an impressive win in 2017, though the competition that year was far less fierce.

I’ll be interested to see Fami’s GOTY just to see how the votes for the Switch stuff that wasn’t Mario/Zelda fall here. Still, good to see Mario Wonder nominated even if it won’t win. I like seeing 2D games up there.

I do wonder (ha) if Mario and Zelda end up splitting a lot of the vote between more Nintendo focused outlets who participate. It didn't stop BotW from an impressive win in 2017, though the competition that year was far less fierce.
It's tough this year because Mario Wonder is way better than Odyssey

I kid

Or do I?

Expected (and fair imo) nominations.

Baldur's Gate is going to win this, but i'm hoping for an Alan Wake 2 upset (no chance lmao)

I'm a big hypocrite because I think remakes shouldn't be nominated for GOTY but I also think RE4R is too good not to be nominated. Take me to gamer jail.

I would put it in the same category of remakes as FF VIIR, where the changes in every aspect of the game are extensive to the point i just consider it a completely different product.

I don't really think remakes of this kind should be excluded.

Octopath got robbed.

It really had no chance unfortunately, being a JRPG released in february.

considering there are no Nintendo focused outlets on the voting board I doubt it

Random thoughts of mine for the 6 noms:

-Genre bias is once again out in full force
-It's nice to see a 2D game represented
-I don't think that a remake belongs, no matter how great it is, especially in a year like 2023
-Sucks to not get at least one indie nod

did my part and voted for zelda we cannot let d&d be kino prestige 😤

The-Legend-1.jpg

The good: A Space for the Unbound in games for impact is a huge win! Let’s go. Also happy to see Wonder in GOTY even if it’s not mine.

The bad: Octopath 2 (and Chained Echoes) got utterly robbed for best RPG, and Octopath 2 for best music too. I really hope TOTK takes music, it’d be my second choice.

The… huh?: FF16 for best narrative is a choice, all right

Imagine having Octopath II nominated for neither Best RPG nor Best OST. Couldn't be me. (and for Game of the Year, and for...) Am I supposed to forgive the gaming press? They forgot the game came out this year, surely? ;P

And yeah you're right @SammyJ9, (I'm not the one to talk when I haven't played it yet but) it definitely seems like Chained Echoes got that December treatment.

No audio design for ToTK lmao

THE FREQUENCY OF THE STAKE THAT CREATE DIFFERENT SOUNDS PITCH…

Ok, Time for predictions

Game of the Year
  • Baldur’s Gate 3: it sweeped the awards at the Joystick awards, including Goty. I don't think it will lose it here
Best Game Direction

• Balder’s Gate 3/The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: honestly it's a 50/50, both could take it and would probably deserve it. Leaning a bit more on TOTK because of Ultrahand for this
Best Narrative
  • Alan Wake 2
Best Art Direction
  • Hi-Fi Rush: Obvious choice tbh
Best Score and Music
  • Final Fantasy XVI: Heard some tracks from this and they were great

Best Performance
  • Ben Starr in Final Fantasy XVI: Everyone seem to agree that he had the best performance this year, so i pick him

Best Ongoing Game
  • Genshin Impact: Can't think of anything that had better support this year. It will probably be fortnite, but GI deserves it more
Best Independent Game
  • Dave the Diver: It's the best rated Indie this year and the most well known. it's winning this.
Best Mobile Game
  • Honkai: Star Rail: I mean, do you expect anything else to win?

Best Action Game
  • Hi-Fi Rush: Best rated game out of all of them, it's getting this
Best Action/Adventure Game
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: Obvious choice is obvious
Best Role Playing Game
  • Baldur's Gate 3: Obvious choiche is obvious
Best Fighting Game
  • Street Fighter 6: Basically no competition in this category
Best Family Game
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: this is basically a Nintendo category and it's Mario, it's winning this
Best Sports/Racing Game
  • Forza Motorsports: Another "basically no competition category"
Best Sim/Strategy Game
  • Pikmin 4: The other competitor was FEE, And that seemed to have dissapointed people, While Pikmin 4 was praised so much. It's winning this easily
Best Multiplayer Game
  • Street Fighter 6: BG3 is a MP Game? Anyway, Street fighter6 is my pick,tho Wonder could also win
Best Debut Indie Game
  • Pizza Tower
Most Anticipated Game
  • Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth: nothing comes close in terms of hype for next year except GTA 6
Best Adaptation
  • The Last of Us: this was TLOU award since it was created last year, of course it's winning this

Last edited:
With Nintendo being the publisher with the most nominations I think they should make a splash. I honestly don’t see a better situation than this one to reveal the first trailer for MP4. I probably won’t be watching it myself but I hope that happens for fans of the IP.

I voted for Super Mario Bros Wonder. This game deserves the GOTY more than any other, including Tears of the Kingdom.

Sea of Stars missing the cut for OST is the snub to end all snubs.

Discussion of Cyberpunk 2077 is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please refrain from continuing to bring up the title. - meatbag, xghost777, Party Sklar
But why is Cyberpunk in the "Best ongoing game" category? Isn't that usually the live service category?

Random thoughts of mine for the 6 noms:

-Genre bias is once again out in full force
-It's nice to see a 2D game represented
-I don't think that a remake belongs, no matter how great it is, especially in a year like 2023
-Sucks to not get at least one indie nod
I don't want to live in a world where REmake 4 is arbitrarily excluded from these awards. It's a new game with a new engine based on an old game. The two are very different and each deserve recognition of their own.

Final Fantasy XVI was snubbed for GOTY, you could easily removed RE4 and put it there.

At least it was nominated for best soundtrack, a category it should win with no problems this year (Really, i believe its a contender for best FF soundtrack in its history and in the videogame medium as a whole)

TotK being nominated for best soundtrack is just crazy to me. I love a lot of the music from it, but a good chunk of it's music is just ripped directly from BotW. This year has been so insane for soundtracks and they put that there, huh? Always feels like best score is always down to AAA devs who got an orchestra and like, one other pick for variety.
It's the MOST subjective category out of all of the subjective categories so I kinda get it, but man I can think of a bunch of soundtracks this year just off the top of my head that I would have put over TotK. Even without a lot of original tracks (there's like 5), I would have put Bomb Rush Cyberfunk up there. Can't even say I can't nominate licensed tracks not made for a game cause Hi-Fi Rush is there. Soundtrack always has the weirdest lack of certain games, like 2015 didn't have Undertale nominated for best soundtrack.

Also Nexon making a pixel art game with a dev team that says they are not indie devs should not be elligible for best indie. End of discussion.

I thought FFXVI wasn’t a RPG.

Wouldn’t it make sense as an action adventure game? Unless ARPG which I guess I’m wrong.

Shame that the game awards only recognize triple a games mostly. Tchia should be nominated for best art direction and music

Seems like I need to play the first Alan Wake 😅 I heard some cool stuff about this second one, seems like it’s surrealist and it uses sound and visuals for storytelling in unconventional ways

Btw Nintendo got the most nominations (15)!

Nintendo bias in the media. I can't believe they nominated DLC and a game made by a C-team. Obvious corruption. They paid off Geoff with rare Amiibos and orbs for Fire Emblem Heroes.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

I find it interesting how much I see people complain about genre bias when at every show Geoff does (SGF, GamesCom, TGA), the discourse is nothing but constant complaining at every game announcement that isn't a big known AAA brand or action/adventure/rpg.

honestly what is the point of "family game of the year" when one of the nominees is also nominated for GOTY
It has been a thing yeah, where certain years one of the Best Family games is also a GOTY nominee and so it's pretty obvious which game will take Best Family

2015 Super Mario Maker
2017 Super Mario Odyssey
2020 Animal Crossing New Horizons
2021 It Takes Two

However, 2019 was a case where it didn't work that way. Super Smash Bros Ultimate was nominated for GOTY and Best Family Game that year but lost Best Family to Luigi's Mansion 3(which wasn't nominated for GOTY just to be clear)

So you never know, but I wouldn't bet against Mario on this one lol

They should do a "Best alone and bitter" game of the year then. The nominees are:

MW3
Sonic
Pikmen 4 lolz

Looking at the GOTY nominations and I think it’s actually a pretty good list. But imagine time traveling back to the first half of this year and telling people that Starfield, Diablo 4, and FF16 wouldn’t be on it.

Back
Top Bottom