• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Game Awards 2023 | Nomination Thread | Announcement at 9a PT / Noon ET / 5p GMT

Looking at the GOTY nominations and I think it’s actually a pretty good list. But imagine time traveling back to the first half of this year and telling people that Starfield, Diablo 4, and FF16 wouldn’t be on it.
Baldur's Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 would have definitely raised eyebrows! Heck, a 2D Mario platformer might have been gilding the lily!

I'm not a fan of a lot of these awards categories. 4 e-sports categories, but barely any genre awards like horror, puzzle, etc. How bout other stuff like best bossfight, best level design, etc?

Solid list this year, but the Octopath series missing out again on best soundtrack is a sick joke. I'm also sad Engage and Pikmin 4 are duking it out in the same category.

For more minor wins, hoping Neil Newbon takes home best performance and Pizza Tower for best indie.

Last edited:
TotK being nominated for best soundtrack is just crazy to me. I love a lot of the music from it, but a good chunk of it's music is just ripped directly from BotW. This year has been so insane for soundtracks and they put that there, huh? Always feels like best score is always down to AAA devs who got an orchestra and like, one other pick for variety.
It's the MOST subjective category out of all of the subjective categories so I kinda get it, but man I can think of a bunch of soundtracks this year just off the top of my head that I would have put over TotK. Even without a lot of original tracks (there's like 5), I would have put Bomb Rush Cyberfunk up there. Can't even say I can't nominate licensed tracks not made for a game cause Hi-Fi Rush is there. Soundtrack always has the weirdest lack of certain games, like 2015 didn't have Undertale nominated for best soundtrack.

Also Nexon making a pixel art game with a dev team that says they are not indie devs should not be elligible for best indie. End of discussion.
I feel the same way about the Best Art Direction to be honest. Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild might just have my favorite art direction in video game history, but while I know there was some quality of life changes, there simply isn't enough there for me to feel like it should win. There's new enemies and scenarios, sure, but if anything I feel like most of the enemies run the gambit of either being pretty generic or not being quite as good as what's come before (the Zonai robots look way worse than the Guardians). I think in a year with games like Alan Wake II or Mario Wonder, it just doesn't deserve it.

On the topic of OST, it should pretty obviously be Pizza Tower imo. That game blew up in a way that hasn't happened for indie games (or most games) since Undertale, it's seriously huge and every track by itself could be considered the best track on the album. Unexpectancy is probably in the running for best final boss theme of all time, and Tombstone, Arizona is amazing.

I've been on record on saying that I don't care about the awards (the nominations are more important, in fact)... Geoff Keighley's dream of making rival the Oscars prestige is far, far away (and outside of his reach); and this will be the first time in years that I will be missing the event live, since there's nothing of my interest being announced there (no Nintendo, no Crash Bandicoot news); ... With that said, I voted on these categories

Game of the Year:
mario-super-mario-bros-wonder.gif

Best Game Direction:
408c7a242c2db95a165f8b4d43e2aeb5.gif

Best Art Direction:
3f821839e4492d58505a09a67536fa3ed6e73f41.gifv

Best OnGoing:
c7cf2f607626a1322131c076b38607a9e6bdd926.gif

Best Debut Indie Game:
giphy.gif

Best Adaptation:
c9063c53a4c016bb7104a4e04d1db157.gif

I’d have chosen Pikmin 4 over Mario Wonder despite enjoying Wonder. Not that I’d expect either to win. F-Zero 99 not being in the racing category feels wrong.

We can get a movie starring Geri Halliwell a Game Award. If you're in line to vote for Gran Turismo, stay in line!

Is this confirmed somewhere or are just assuming?
Just assuming, really;

Nintendo doesn't seem to have anything big for Game Awards crowd (I don't believe we'd see anything like Metroid Prime 4 or any mention of the new hardware); DLC for Tears of the Kingdom is not a thing, and we sure will get a February Direct to cover the first half of 2024..

no Smash DLC, no nothing.. I feel it's fair to assume that I won't be missing much.

I'm not a fan of a lot of these awards categories. 4 e-sports categories, but barely any genre awards like horror, puzzle, etc. How bout other stuff like best bossfight, best level design, etc?
And then what, talk about the actual games instead of that cool smoke made of hype?

Ditching the Family category (which is, honestly, offensive), giving the spotlight to games unavailable in the Anglosphere, and what you are proposing would be some great steps in the right direction to take this show seriously. Alas, it's never going to happen.

I don't watch the awards but I do like voting because it's fun, more so when I didn't play like half of these.

Best game direction to Baldur's Gate 3.
Voted for XIV in Music (which I think is a lock, Soken deserves the recognition, this game has Find the Flame, Away, To Sail Forbidden Seas, peak really), best performance to Clive, and best narrative.
From all that I have seen I voted best art direction for Alan Wake.
Best audio design and action/adventure to REmake 4.
Didn't play any of the indie games nominated this year, but Dredge looks the most interesting from the bunch, so I voted for that.
Best onging to FFXIV and Community Support to No Man Sky
Best action to Armored Core, from there I only played Hi-Fi Rush but wasn't a big fan of it, AC6 looks great tho.
Best Sim/Strategy I wanted Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew to be nominated, so Advance Wars is the next best thing, tho I think Fire Emblem will win it, which I guess is at least better than Pikmin 4 winning it just because that barely is a strategy game anymore compared to the other 3.
Most anticipated Tekken 8 from the list.

My GOTY is REmake 4 but, is clearly going to be between Baldur's and Zelda, so I rather just support Baldur's there.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges because last year wasn't anywhere near as competitive as this year, but it's kinda wild to realize we live in a world where a Xenoblade game was nominated for GOTY and then a year later neither a new Final Fantasy nor a new Bethesda RPG were

I know it's comparing apples to oranges because last year wasn't anywhere near as competitive as this year, but it's kinda wild to realize we live in a world where a Xenoblade game was nominated for GOTY and then a year later neither a new Final Fantasy nor a new Bethesda RPG were
As it should be

While that is pretty wild to think about, both Starfield and FF16 were varying levels of disappointing for a lot of people and honestly are worse games than Xenoblade 3 (though I have hope for Starfield with mods down the road!). XC3 also had a bit of the surprise factor to it, as it was a lot better than a lot of people expected, especially for newer players. That combined with a weaker year for nominations and it managed it - although I’m still kind of surprised it did in such a mainstream show like TGAs.

man with the salt from mario wonder JUST being nominated for GOTY I wonder what the reaction will be when 3D Mario wins next year

Starfield players getting mad at Mario and Resident Evil is so funny. Other games being good was the problem, definitely not the "game of the generation" being an 8/10 showing with performance issues.

I don't know why, but I somehow feel like it's far more likely for the non-Nintendo game to be picked compared to the Nintendo game even though a category is dominated by it. Take Best Family 2021 for example: it was won by It Takes Two even though every other game is a Nintendo game. So maybe like Best Family 2023: there's a game called Party Animals which I never heard of. Somehow that might be picked because it's not Nintendo-like (Sonic might not be picked because of his reputation)?

Anyway, is Party Animals popular enough to get nominated for two categories? Perhaps someone could enlighten on how impactful that game has been because right now it seemed dubious, where its scores didn't seem impressive by comparison and it might be more around Sonic Superstars' level.

Thank you for reading.

Did my votes and the main thing I realized is that it needs more categories/options for best performance somehow, that category has the most snubs out of all of them. Maybe split it in two or something and cut one of the esports related ones.

Didn’t expect some criticism for RE 4 remake getting a nom just for being a remake when FFVII remake didn’t get as much lol. Must be because it’s a stronger year.
I personally think RE 4 remake is a much better game the FFVII Remake

Didn’t expect some criticism for RE 4 remake getting a nom just for being a remake when FFVII remake didn’t get as much lol. Must be because it’s a stronger year.
I personally think RE 4 remake is a much better game the FFVII Remake
Well Metroid Prime is also a remake or remaster.

Looking at the GOTY nominations and I think it’s actually a pretty good list. But imagine time traveling back to the first half of this year and telling people that Starfield, Diablo 4, and FF16 wouldn’t be on it.
It’s been such a good year. I mean, I’d put Octopath II and Star Ocean II up there too.

Can’t bring myself to care about esports (‘athlete’? Really?). Or adaptation or content creator awards. If you’re giving awards to ‘esports coach’ it feels like there’s a shitload more deserving unsung heroes in the trenches of games dev than having multiple categories for just esports. But at least they are at the end.

Last edited:
GOTY medley should just be played by a lone person on stage solo-ing Trombone Champ versions of the music. It should also go on for like thirty agonizing minutes with several reaction shots from the confused nominees and audience.

Last edited:
Discussion of Hogwarts Legacy is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please refrain from continuing to bring up the title. - meatbag, Tangerine Cookie, xghost777
Don't get why everyone talks about Starfield being robbed while Hogwarts Legacy was a much more popular game and more well recieved by gamers and still didn't get nominated. Hogwarts has gone toe to toe with Tears of the Kingdom, while Starfield is only remembered as failing every expectation the game had beforehand.

If we want to see how the popular GOTY vote might split among the general audience, TGA's Facebook post could give us an early indicator.

You can see the likes for each game by clicking on the respective image of each post. Currently, TOTK has a massive lead among the games, with 4.1k likes on its post. In second place, Spider-Man 2 with 2.5k. Resident Evil 4 takes third with 2k. Baldur's Gate 3 lands in fourth at 1.8k. Mario Wonder takes fifth with 1.3k. Finally Alan Wake 2 is last, at 1.2k.

The usual caveat applies that this is just one segment of the audience; TGA voting is done via multiple platforms, the popular vote only determines 10% of the actual vote, and there's no guarantee that the people with FB accounts actually went onto the site itself to vote, but it does show us that general sentiment isn't as lopsided toward the core gaming favorite as some would expect.

You can smell the axe grinding agenda when the worst reviewed game on the list (Alan Wake 2 at 87 on metacritic 89 on opencritic) isn't the game catching stays, but the far better reviewed 2D game Mario Wonder (92 meta 91 open) and the far better reviewed remake RE4R (93 meta 92 open) are.

And yes I know on Xbox with way less reviews AW2 has a 94 on metacritic.

I can understand if someone would be skeptical with Mario Wonder after the "new"2D Mario series fatigue, but literally just play 10 minutes of Wonder and you will see how amazing it is.

Though I love both games and think either deserves to win, I'm curious if TotK might have the edge over BG3 due to the international nature of the jury. BG3's reception in the US has obviously been tremendous, but I know less about how it's thought of worldwide. A game like that which rides so much on its story and dialogue is a tricky thing to localize, and if it wasn't done extraordinarily well then its international impact may have been muted.

Voted BG3 for GOTY, simply because the game has done things I've never seen in any game before and it also lfited up the CRPG genre in general.

New Super Mario Bros. U, as sterile it was aesthetically, still deserved a nomination for GOTY on VGX back in 2012. Wonder being here is just justice to a point.

If we want to see how the popular GOTY vote might split among the general audience, TGA's Facebook post could give us an early indicator.

You can see the likes for each game by clicking on the respective image of each post. Currently, TOTK has a massive lead among the games, with 4.1k likes on its post. In second place, Spider-Man 2 with 2.5k. Resident Evil 4 takes third with 2k. Baldur's Gate 3 lands in fourth at 1.8k. Mario Wonder takes fifth with 1.3k. Finally Alan Wake 2 is last, at 1.2k.

The usual caveat applies that this is just one segment of the audience; TGA voting is done via multiple platforms, the popular vote only determines 10% of the actual vote, and there's no guarantee that the people with FB accounts actually went onto the site itself to vote, but it does show us that general sentiment isn't as lopsided toward the core gaming favorite as some would expect.

Yeah people seem to forget that while bg3 definitely was the most talked about game on this list on places like Twitter or reddit, it's still a niche genre and last reported only sold 5 million copies (2 million of which were from early access) meaning for the more general audience they are mostly going to vote for spider-man or zelda

I already have an unhealthy amount of pettiness towards FF16 in my heart, but now that I see it getting nominated for best soundtrack over Octopath 2, it's only going to get worse!
Is it that bad? I'm only about 10 hours in and I think it's solid, albeit not as open as I'd like it to be.

Is it that bad? I'm only about 10 hours in and I think it's solid, albeit not as open as I'd like it to be.
I don't hate the game, I wouldn't even label it as "bad", but the core is so so so unremarkable. I blame this on two factors: The joyless tone and the focus on action.

Both of these design choices didn't have to be made, but I can't help but interpret them in the most cynical way possible (detaching the series from its JRPG roots). Stuff like the game not having grand music when you enter a big, sweeping overworld (think Xenoblade with Gaur plains) rubs me the wrong way. As if they're saying "This is a very serious game, we can't have any whimsical or adventurous feeling!

Like the ending is supposed all emotional/impactful, but I felt NOTHING.

Let's go, Advance Wars exists apparently! Amazing that it got a nom for best strategy/sim

It should have gotten one for the ost as well though, holy cow it's so good. Alas, I've come to expect from TGA that the music category is its weakest point...

the other publishers and developers almost immediately: Thank you for the nominations and our fans!

Nintendo 28 hours later: neat

Let's go, Advance Wars exists apparently! Amazing that it got a nom for best strategy/sim

It should have gotten one for the ost as well though, holy cow it's so good. Alas, I've come to expect from TGA that the music category is its weakest point...
people have been so sidetracked arguing about whether RE4 Remake was "new enough" to deserve a GOTY nod that nobody noticed a pretty 1:1 remake of some GBA games sneaking into the strategy category

and it deserves to win imo; while Pikmin 4 is the better overall game, as a strategy game specifically Advance Wars kinda blows it out of the water

Back
Top Bottom