• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News The Game Awards 2023 | Nomination Thread | Announcement at 9a PT / Noon ET / 5p GMT

Genshin has more prestige than Metroid
I will not fall for your trap, Yakuza fan.

big_SYE_033.jpg

Speaking of music, it feels like the track for every game in the GOTY medley feels obvious outside of RE4. I hope they go with this.

It seems to me that Zelda is the only game that tends to have Nintendo push the Game Awards. In 2017 they went all out when BotW was nominated, so why not a big presence once again? We'll see next week if they tell us to tune in, that'll be a big indication. But in the meantime I'll keep hoping for something cool at least around Zelda. Maybe the Wii U ports.

Starting to solidify my prediction that BG3 takes GOTY while TotK takes best game direction.

Best Game Direction seems to reward really cool new mechanics or gameplay loops that are executed well. I flash back to Death Stranding winning that in 2019 and while it was a divisive game, I think it fit those qualities. I think TotK’s brilliant new mechanics and the polish with which they are implemented make it a good fit for that, while BG3’s overall impact and absurd leap in quality for an entire genre will give it GOTY.

I know the Scott Pilgrim anime does not count as a video game adaptation, but…

Starting to solidify my prediction that BG3 takes GOTY while TotK takes best game direction.

Best Game Direction seems to reward really cool new mechanics or gameplay loops that are executed well. I flash back to Death Stranding winning that in 2019 and while it was a divisive game, I think it fit those qualities I think TotK’s brilliant new mechanics and the polish with which they are implemented make it a good fit for that, while BG3’s overall impact and absurd leap in quality for an entire genre will give it GOTY.
I could see that, although Best Game Direction also seems like the perfect "Alan Wake 2" award. I'm actually thinking that the awards might be pretty spread out this year, and no one game will win very many - which would be kind of fitting with a year like 2023.

Of course I could be wrong and BG3 might sweep everything, but I don't really see it or TOTK doing that at least right now.

I'm looking forward to TGA but man, this show always goes on WAY too long. Don't they normally go upwards of 3 hours? I do not have the attention span for that lol. In previous years, I've had friends over to watch it so I've been obligated to keep my eyes on the screen, but this time I think I'll just have it play in the background while I play Pokémon Black, lol.

I could see that, although Best Game Direction also seems like the perfect "Alan Wake 2" award. I'm actually thinking that the awards might be pretty spread out this year, and no one game will win very many - which would be kind of fitting with a year like 2023.

Of course I could be wrong and BG3 might sweep everything, but I don't really see it or TOTK doing that at least right now.
True, it does make sense for Alan Wake 2 as well.
I'm looking forward to TGA but man, this show always goes on WAY too long. Don't they normally go upwards of 3 hours? I do not have the attention span for that lol. In previous years, I've had friends over to watch it so I've been obligated to keep my eyes on the screen, but this time I think I'll just have it play in the background while I play Pokémon Black, lol.
Last year was pretty meh for me in terms of new announcements but I can’t deny it was the best paced show yet I think. But yeah, still pretty long. I’m not sure what he could do to cut it down at this point.

The way to watch the Game Awards is:

A) Have it on the big screen while playing a handheld game at the same time

B) Have Twitter/Famiboards/Discord etc. open to constantly see reactions and talk crap and/or gush about the reveals and who got robbed

C) Have lots of snacks/drinks while you watch

D) Have friends over in person to watch it with you

Or some combination of all of these things

I know the Scott Pilgrim anime does not count as a video game adaptation, but…
Considering there are some musical/style references from the SP game in the series (including a wholeass song directly lifted from it) one might make the case that the series counts as an adaptation of the game 👀

Considering there are some musical/style references from the SP game in the series (including a wholeass song directly lifted from it) one might make the case that the series counts as an adaptation of the game 👀
I like to believe that Older Scott/Even Older Scott, and thus the series itself, is from the game timeline. There's too many discrepencies for it to be the comic/movie timeline and feels incongruent with Scott's character growth in those timelines, but if it was the game verse instead, that works pretty well!

I like to believe that Older Scott/Even Older Scott, and thus the series itself, is from the game timeline. There's too many discrepencies for it to be the comic/movie timeline and feels incongruent with Scott's character growth in those timelines, but if it was the game verse instead, that works pretty well!
this isn’t the place for this argument but you’re wrong

Best Game Direction seems to reward really cool new mechanics or gameplay loops that are executed well. I flash back to Death Stranding winning that in 2019 and while it was a divisive game, I think it fit those qualities. I think TotK’s brilliant new mechanics and the polish with which they are implemented make it a good fit for that, while BG3’s overall impact and absurd leap in quality for an entire genre will give it GOTY.
Personally I prefer to see Totk winning as the best game than best direction. Direction for me is the weakest part of the game. Totk had awesome mechanics but they couldn’t glue everything together in a compelling way. Though I didn’t play the other games so maybe they were even worst.

While I think Totk was a good game I didn’t like the direction.

Amazing, I played exactly one of those 🤣

Geoff continues his biannual campaign to make me question whether I am even a games enthusiast
Sure is a lot of Jedi Survivor in there for a game I haven’t heard even mentioned in months and I forgot even came out this year.

Otherwise it seems pretty standard for Geoff, a AAA game highlight reel with some blink-and-you’ll-miss-it Indies and like one second of Mario Wonder.

I'm never really that into these but Geoff made a pretty cool edit this year.

Controversial opinion, I always find these types of trailers he edits very distasteful to the medium he works for.

He tries so hard to make the industry of videogames into a diet Hollywood with everything he does, to a point where he shows like 7 games for the vast majority of the trailer because they're the most "cinematic", and anything either doesn't show up because they don't fit the Hollywood style trailer editing or if they are included, they're the most out of place, awkward cuts ever. And I say this as a film Director. He has a resentment towards the gaming industry for what it is and tries to push into being a lesser version because it's more "respectable" in his eyes. Why else does he need Hollywood actors to validate his award show when some of them literally couldn't care less? You think Pachino is a prolific game industry veteran?

This mentality also reflects in his own shows where he'll constantly advertise/focus on "best narrative", cutscenes, "best performances", "best direction", etc. but not have a single ounce of interest in "best game mechanic", "best map design", "best puzzle", "best controls", aka things that makes the game industry unique and stands on, aka something you play. So many elements that go into making games actual games, yet we have 3 awards for E-sports.

Think of how many games came out this year, how many varied genres, styles, Art direction, etc. How many were even represented in the trailer? He literally put in a TLoU TV show and the SMB Movie over Street Fighter, a 92 metacritic fighting game. Super Mario Bros Wonder, GotY nominee, showed up once for 1 whole second, while other great games didn't even get that. There's so much strength to the medium that makes videogames, well, videogames, something that movies and TV shows can't do. Experiences they can't provide. Puzzle games, fighting games, VNs, platformers, metroidvanias, etc that are blatantly disregarded in favor of "muh cinema".

It's a shame Geoff Keighley has to represent gaming so much with his 3-4 big shows a year when it's clear he is disinterested in 50% of the elements that go into game creation, and 60% of game genres in general

Controversial opinion, I always find these types of trailers he edits very distasteful to the medium he works for.

He tries so hard to make the industry of videogames into a diet Hollywood with everything he does, to a point where he shows like 7 games for the vast majority of the trailer because they're the most "cinematic", and anything either doesn't show up because they don't fit the Hollywood style trailer editing or if they are included, they're the most out of place, awkward cuts ever. And I say this as a film Director. He has a resentment towards the gaming industry for what it is and tries to push into being a lesser version because it's more "respectable" in his eyes. Why else does he need Hollywood actors to validate his award show when some of them literally couldn't care less? You think Pachino is a prolific game industry veteran?

This mentality also reflects in his own shows where he'll constantly advertise/focus on "best narrative", cutscenes, "best performances", "best direction", etc. but not have a single ounce of interest in "best game mechanic", "best map design", "best puzzle", "best controls", aka things that makes the game industry unique and stands on, aka something you play. So many elements that go into making games actual games, yet we have 3 awards for E-sports.

Think of how many games came out this year, how many varied genres, styles, Art direction, etc. How many were even represented in the trailer? He literally put in a TLoU TV show and the SMB Movie over Street Fighter, a 92 metacritic fighting game. Super Mario Bros Wonder, GotY nominee, showed up once for 1 whole second, while other great games didn't even get that. There's so much strength to the medium that makes videogames, well, videogames, something that movies and TV shows can't do. Experiences they can't provide. Puzzle games, fighting games, VNs, platformers, metroidvanias, etc that are blatantly disregarded in favor of "muh cinema".

It's a shame Geoff Keighley has to represent gaming so much with his 3-4 big shows a year when it's clear he is disinterested in 50% of the elements that go into game creation, and 60% of game genres in general
This, this, this, this

The whole time I was watching that reel I was thinking "dude seriously wants this to look like Hollywood But CGI" and the fact that there were clips from a live action tv show in a reel that's supposed to celebrate video games caught me way off guard.

What you say about the categories is another thing I've been thinking of lately. He wants to mimic the Oscars as hard as he can and I think it's a real disservice to the type of work that goes into game dev and the things that set games apart from other media.

Yeah idk, I come from a film background as well but they're just a style of trailer he's going for, and he only really does these for fun. Sure it could be more of a gameplay edit but he seems to have more fun with cinematic shots. If you ever listened to the Q&As he does often, it's pretty clear that he's not trying to emulate The Oscars. He's always pushing for gameplay footage for his reveals, too. I think people take things like this at face value too often.

THIS

Puzzle games, fighting games, VNs, platformers, metroidvanias, etc that are blatantly disregarded in favor of "muh cinema".

I've been advocating for these kinds of things for years. Not just TGA, But barely anyone does stuff like best level design, best new mechanic, best new weapon, scariest moment, etc. It sucks.

I've been advocating for these kinds of things for years. Not just TGA, But barely anyone does stuff like best level design, best new mechanic, best new weapon, scariest moment, etc. It sucks.
That's what I generally like about Giant Bomb's game of the year talks. They're pretty much the only outlet I know of that will actually spend hours across multiple days deliberating categories like "best mechanic", "best new character", or "best running around"

It's definitely not the most "serious" GOTY process (e.g. day 1 of this year saw the "best mechanic" territory turn into "Ultra hand or ascend from TotK vs Shoving people in Baldur's Gate 3) but I think overall it is one of the more interesting ones out there because it feels like it plays more to the medium and is so clearly not just trying to be the Oscars.

I like the trailers but yeah, they're very targeted toward a cinematic demographic, i.e. those who just play those games. It would've been nice to see some Metroid Prime Remastered with Samus just landing or coming out of her ship, or looking out at Tallon Overworld, etc. Just some love for non-cinematic games. The music can still continue, just celebrate the other games cause Nintendo, despite making some of the best games ever, doesn't fit any of what he goes for in these trailers. It's why to this day so many people think Nintendo is for kids--which I can't believe, after 20 years, I saw on Reddit on a post about Playstation Portal.

Back
Top Bottom