• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2022 |ST| An Ad Sent On

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
pdB7vki.jpg

Hey all, and get ready, for the time is almost nigh - the time to strap in and watch The Game Awards, which kicks off in a little more than 24 hours. This will be the StarTopic thread for discussing it all, where we perhaps get together to follow the event in real-time, discuss nominees, watch announcements, hype stuff, dig vibes, sigh at ad reels, cheer for winners and get goosebumps when those flutes kicks in.

WHERE?

The live event will be held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. It will be livestreamed across more than 40 digital platforms, alongside an additional IMAX experience.

WHEN?
December 8th, 2022
  • 5:00 PM PT
  • 7:00 PM CDT
  • 8:00 PM ET
  • 2:00 AM GMT
  • 12:00 PM AET

WHAT?

The Game Awards is an opportunity to look back fondly at what has been, and take a moment to celebrate an incredible year gone by. It’s an opportunity to celebrate all talent, from AAA to indie, and give cause for celebration to those that with sweat, blood and tears bring together pieces of art for all of us to enjoy and take part in.

The show is running this year for the 9th time in a row, and is as usual aiming to provide a show filled with awards recognizing industry talent, as well as over 50 world premieres and announcements of all sizes and kinds.

This year, host Geoff Keighley has made some funky statements in anticipation for this year’s event. He has stated that this year’s show will be “more cinematic”, and will also see a significant cut in runtime - aiming at around 2.5 hours. In addition to this, Valve has announced that they will hand out a Steam Deck every minute to people watching the show on Steam, and eligible Twitch viewers can receive rewards as well, such as the Keighley mask in Among Us. Also, this year has seen a new category added to the mix, in the form of “Best Adaptation”.

WHY?

One can approach watching TGA in a multitude of ways. It is always valuable to take a moment to recognize developers and industry figures for what they achieve, and TGA pulls its weight both in large categories like Game of the Year and Best Game Direction, but also takes time to award Games For Impact and Innovation In Accessibility. It can be fun to speculate nominees and winners, and maybe do the occasional avatar bet.

But it is also viable to just take TGA as a loose, casual, fun show to just kick back and watch while you either hang out here on Fami, or with a friend, or just alone while having a nice, cold drink and some fancy snacks. Or, for that reason, just have it on a second monitor while you grind for loot in that JRPG you’re (still) playing.

NOMINEES

GAME OF THE YEAR
A Plague Tale: Requiem (Asobo Studio/Focus Entertainment)
Elden Ring (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
God of War Ragnarök (Sony Santa Monica/SIE)
Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games/SIE)
Stray (BlueTwelve Studio/Annapurna)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Monolith Soft/Nintendo)

BEST GAME DIRECTION
Immortality (Half Mermaid)

BEST NARRATIVE
Immortality (Half Mermaid)

BEST ART DIRECTION
Scorn (Ebb Software/Kepler Interactive)

BEST SCORE AND MUSIC
Olivier Deriviere, A Plague Tale: Requiem
Tsukasa Saitoh, Elden Ring
Bear McCreary, God of War Ragnarök
Two Feathers, Metal: Hellsinger
Yasunori Mitsuda, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

BEST AUDIO DESIGN
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Infinity Ward/Activision)
Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony/SIE)

BEST PERFORMANCE
Ashly Burch, Horizon Forbidden West
Charlotte McBurney, A Plague Tale: Requiem
Christopher Judge, God of War Ragnarök
Manon Gage, Immortality
Sunny Suljic, God of War Ragnarök

GAMES FOR IMPACT
A Memoir Blue (Cloisters Interactive/Annapurna)
As Dusk Falls (Interior Night/Xbox Game Studios)
Citizen Sleeper (Jump Over The Age/Fellow Traveller)
Endling – Extinction is Forever (Herobeat Studios/HandyGames)
Hindsight (Team Hindsight/Annapurna)
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist (Northway Games/Finji)

BEST ONGOING GAME
Apex Legends (Respawn/EA)
Destiny 2 (Bungie)
FINAL FANTASY XIV (Square Enix)
Fortnite (Epic Games)
Genshin Impact (HoYoverse)

BEST INDIE
Cult of the Lamb (Massive Monster / Devolver Digital)
Neon White (Angel Matrix/Annapurna)
Sifu (Sloclap)
TUNIC (TUNIC Team/Finji)

BEST DEBUT INDIE
Neon White (Angel Matrix/Annapurna Interactive)
NORCO (Geography of Robots/Raw Fury)
TUNIC (TUNIC Team/Finji)
Vampire Survivors (poncle)

BEST COMMUNITY SUPPORT, PRESENTED BY DISCORD
Apex Legends (Respawn/EA)
Destiny 2 (Bungie)
FINAL FANTASY XIV (Square Enix)
Fortnite (Epic Games)
No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)

BEST MOBILE
Apex Legends Mobile (Lightspeed & Quantum/Respawn/EA)
Diablo Immortal (Blizzard/NetEase)
Genshin Impact (HoYovese)
MARVEL SNAP (Second Dinner Studios/Nuverse)
Tower of Fantasy (Hotta Studio/Perfect World/Level Infinite)

BEST VR/AR
After the Fall (Vertigo Games)
Among Us VR (Schell Games/InnerSloth)
BONELAB (Stress Level Zero)
Moss: Book II (Polyarc)
Red Matter 2 (Vertical Robot)

BEST ACTION
Bayonetta 3 (Platinum Games/Nintendo)
Neon White (Angel Matrix/Annapurna)
Sifu (Sloclap)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (Tribute Games/Dotemu)

BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE
TUNIC (TUNIC Team/Finji)

BEST ROLE PLAYING
Live a Live (Square Enix/Nintendo)
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Game Freak/Nintendo/TPCI)
Triangle Strategy (Artdink/Square Enix)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Monolith Soft/Nintendo)

BEST FIGHTING
DNF Duel (Arc System Works/EIGHTING/NEOPLE/NEXON)
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R (CyberConnect 2 Co. Ltd/Bandai Namco)
The King of Fighters XV (SNK/Plaion)
MultiVersus (Player First Games/WB Games)
Sifu (Sloclap)

BEST FAMILY
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (HAL Laboratory / Nintendo)
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Traveller’s Tales/WB Games)
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft Milan/Paris/Ubisoft)
Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
Splatoon 3 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

BEST SIM/STRATEGY
Dune: Spice Wars (Shiro Games/Funcom)
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft Milan/Paris/Ubisoft)
Total War: WARHAMMER III (Creative Assembly/Sega)
Two Point Campus (Two Point Studios/Sega)
Victoria 3 (Paradox Development Studio/Paradox Interactive)

BEST SPORTS/RACING
F1 22 (Codemasters/EA Sports)
FIFA 23 (EA Vancouver/Romania/EA Sports)
NBA 2K23 (Visual Concepts/2K Sports)
Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital/SIE)
OlliOlli World (Roll 7/Private Division)

BEST MULTIPLAYER
MultiVersus (Player First Games/WB Games)
Overwatch 2 (Blizzard)
Splatoon 3 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (Tribute Games/Dotemu)

MOST ANTICIPATED
FINAL FANTASY XVI (Square Enix)
Hogwarts Legacy (Avalanche Software/WB Games)
Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
Starfield (Bethesda Game Studios/Bethesda)
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

CONTENT CREATOR OF THE YEAR
Karl Jacobs
Ludwig
Nibellion
Nobru
QTCinderella

BEST ADAPTATION
Arcane: League of Legends (Fortiche/Riot Games/Netflix)
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (Studio Trigger/CD Projekt, Netflix)
The Cuphead Show! (Studio MDHR/King Features Syndicate/Netflix)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Sammy Group/Paramount Pictures)
Uncharted (PlayStation Productions/Sony Pictures)

INNOVATION IN ACCESSIBILITY
As Dusk Falls (Interior Night/Xbox Game Studios)
Return to Monkey Island (Terrible Toybox/Devolver Digital)
The Last Of Us Part I (Naughty Dog/SIE)
The Quarry (Supermassive Games/2K)

BEST ESPORTS GAME
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Valve)
DOTA 2 (Valve)
League of Legends (Riot Games)
Rocket League (Psyonix)
VALORANT (Riot Games)

BEST ESPORTS ATHLETE
Jeong “Chovy” Ji-hoon (Gen.G, LOL)
Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok (T1, LOL)
Finn “karrigan” Andersen (FaZe Clan – CS:GO)
Oleksandr “s1mple” Kostyliev (Natus Vincere, CS:GO)
Jacob “Yay” Whiteaker (Cloud9, Valorant)

BEST ESPORTS TEAM
DarkZero Esports (Apex Legends)
FaZe Clan (CS:GO)
Gen.G (League of Legends)
LA Thieves (Call of Duty)
LOUD (Valorant)

BEST ESPORTS COACH
Andrii “B1ad3” Horodenskyi (Natus Vincere, CS:GO)
Matheus “bzkA” Tarasconi (LOUD, VALORANT)
Erik “d00mbr0s” Sandgren (FPX, VALORANT)
Robert “RobbaN” Dahlström (FaZe Clan, CS:GO)
Go “Score” Dong-bin (Gen.G, LOL)

BEST ESPORTS EVENT
EVO 2022
2022 League of Legends World Championship
PGL Major Antwerp 2022
The 2022 Mid-Season Invitational
VALORANT Champions 2022

LINK

Last edited:
Setting my expectations to Star Wars Jedi, Final Fantasy XVI, Diablo IV, and not much else. Most I see from Nintendo is some XC3 stuff.

Would love to be wrong though.

Didn't end up playing many of these this year, but excited to see Xenoblade and Tunic in the noms! I'll check out the results and reveals after the show for sure.

#XenoSweep, reveals should be good based off what they've revealed so far, really holding on that copium for TotK

my expectations are below zero for this. not worth it to stay up to watch live, i'll catch the trailers in the morning.

NoA has tweeted 7 times about TGA since monday - I'm gonna go ahead and say that Nintendo will show something at the show. I got the feels.

Be it Zelda, Prime Remaster, XC3 DLC or something unknown.
Or maybe it's just a Switch has games trailer they show on repeat 4 times :p

NoA has tweeted 7 times about TGA since monday - I'm gonna go ahead and say that Nintendo will show something at the show. I got the feels.

Be it Zelda, Prime Remaster, XC3 DLC or something unknown.
Or maybe it's just a Switch has games trailer they show on repeat 4 times :p
they'll have a 30 second "switch has games!" ad between two film trailers and that'll be that

for real tho, yeah they are tweeting about it a lot. i don't remember if it was the same previous years.

For those interested the Gematsu page keeps track of all the confirmed and rumoured announcements.

Like others have said in the past, it's worth having on a tablet screen while you game in the meantime, and just take the time to pause if some audio during the event piques your interest.

But I'm fully expecting way too many space operas like last year.

The greatest trailer ever shown in the TGA is still the No More Heores 3 story trailer that introduced FU for me. So good.

Like others have said in the past, it's worth having on a tablet screen while you game in the meantime, and just take the time to pause if some audio during the event piques your interest.

But I'm fully expecting way too many space operas like last year.
Peak game awards was when I was in Shanghai and I randomly remembered the game awards were on, this was in the morning Shanghai time. I was of course patiently waiting for Smash Ultimate to unlock so I could play the whole day. I open the stream on my phone to have it playing in the background and Reggie is talking to Keighley. Neat. Immediately my man intros a new trailer, and it's of course Joker coming to Smash. That shit was hype.

I have watched this every year since 2017, but I won't be able to make it this time. I have a late night tomorrow + very early wakeup the next day, so I'll just check YouTube for any news when I get a chance. Hope it's fun!

• Eiji Aonuma gets on the stage.
  • Receive the award for most aniticipated game.
  • Doesn't share a single shred of information on Totk, let alone a trailer.
  • Leaves.

In some ways, I'm glad this is at stupid o'clock in European times, because I can just wake up and see if there were any decent trailers.

It also sucks that it's at stupid o'clock.

I’m set to watch it tomorrow. Some cool stuff I’m excited to see there like Final Fantasy XVI and Star Wars. I’m betting on Zelda being there, but excited for other likely Nintendo contenders too.

I know they probably won’t, but I’d love if Battle Vs Moebius was in the orchestra for Xenoblade 3. It goes too hard lol.

this nearly gave me a heart attack, i thought they're saying they're gonna show a new trailer

As much as I want to see more of the game, I really have a feeling we won't get anything new. It would be more likely f the game was releasing in March; but since TotK is releasing in May, which is still a good 6 months away, the chance is very slim. Still fingers crossed for at least a teaser about the environment.

Expecting:
  • Xenoblade 3 DLC, Wave 3 probably but I could see a tease for Wave 4
  • Sport Story shadowdrop
  • Elden Ring wins GoTY
  • A lot of similar looking (to me, at least) shooters
Hoping for, but not expecting:
  • ToTK
  • Silksong date
  • Something from Supergiant
  • An Asano thing (actually an Octopath 2 trailer + demo isn't unlikely)

Stary wins the best game,

Crash Bandicoot party game is the only Switch related announcement.

Place your bets now, what random third party exclusive game will Nintendo announce/show off? 2018 had Marvel Alliance 3, 2019 had Bravely Default 2, and 2021 had Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak (no longer exclusive). I think we'll see something similar here.

Place your bets now, what random third party exclusive game will Nintendo announce/show off? 2018 had Marvel Alliance 3, 2019 had Bravely Default 2, and 2021 had Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak (no longer exclusive). I think we'll see something similar here.
Does Sports Story count? Because I'm seriously expecting it to be shadowdropped here

It got announced for December last month without a specific date, that's suspicious

Does Sports Story count? Because I'm seriously expecting it to be shadowdropped here

It got announced for December last month without a specific date, that's suspicious
Sorta? It technically is an exclusive, just not one that Nintendo is pushing.

It depends on if they show up themselves or if The Game Awards says Nintendo brings it. I'm really hoping it shows up either way.

It’s my birthday. Come on, Geoff. Give me something good.
Happy birthday!
Setting my expectations to Star Wars Jedi, Final Fantasy XVI, Diablo IV, and not much else. Most I see from Nintendo is some XC3 stuff.

Would love to be wrong though.
Pretty sure just this alone would be better than all of last year’s show for me personally, so not bad! Add a few spicy bonuses and I’m happy. Elden Ring DLC, Zelda, Metroid, etc would all be great.

Happy birthday!

Pretty sure just this alone would be better than all of last year’s show for me personally, so not bad! Add a few spicy bonuses and I’m happy. Elden Ring DLC, Zelda, Metroid, etc would all be great.
We have Street Fighter VI, Tekken, Crash, and Forspoken all confirmed now too. This is actually shaping up to be a good year even if Nintendo is just the Mario Movie.

Read something on reddit that mentioned some titles that were leaked on 4Chan. Heavy grain of salt but if true, tomorrow will be good.
Horizon Burning Shores
Horizon: Strikers
Tales of Elysium
Pragmata Orion
Burnout Remake
Final Fantasy XVI Admission
Final Fantasy IX
Forspoken 'Madness' Story Trailer
Blue Protocol Worldwide
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
Deo/Xocline
Sayonara Wild Hearts 2
Advanced Wars
The Last Story Remastered
Muramasa Resurrection
Crash: Into the Multiverse
Fortnite Endlines
Space Marines 2
Metal Gear 3rd Strike
Suikoden CV Trailer
Diablo IV Release Date Trailer
Hogwarts Legacy: Forge A Path
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Thrones of Fate
Miracle Weavers
Phantasy Star: New Genesis - New Zone Teaser
Sonic Frontiers DLC Wave 1

Happy birthday!

Tomorrow is my birthday. Very rare for it to ge the day of a big game event so I’m hoping for some surprises this time. Even joining @LukasManak22 for Zelda that would be one hell of a birthday surprise

We have Street Fighter VI, Tekken, Crash, and Forspoken all confirmed now too. This is actually shaping up to be a good year even if Nintendo is just the Mario Movie.
Me forgetting Forspoken exists again for the umpteenth time. Can they actually make a trailer for it that makes it look interesting and without that awful dialogue? We shall see!

I'm actually pretty surprised the Mario Movie is what they went with. I just didn't think Nintendo would want the Game Awards as the venue for their super family friendly thing, but that movie has been targeting a more core audience so far I guess with the Directs and Comic Con.

I think Goldeneye NSO will be there too, but I don't see that quite as big a deal.

I'm actually pretty surprised the Mario Movie is what they went with. I just didn't think Nintendo would want the Game Awards as the venue for their super family friendly thing, but that movie has been targeting a more core audience so far I guess with the Directs and Comic Con.

I think Goldeneye NSO will be there too, but I don't see that quite as big a deal.
I don’t think the Mario movie will be THAT big of a thing there, since they just had the second trailer. Maybe remind us about it and show the trailer again, or a short exclusive clip. I would be very surprised if that’s all they have, though.

As a Switch only gamer that would still suck for me. Nintendo's absence means no Switch games beside Crash Bandicoot and the best selling console right now getting ignored just like that makes me really sad.

Back
Top Bottom