• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2023 Completed Games Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of us felt the same way at the time of release in regards to the ultra-lame story, never understood why people like this very childish, very lame and draaaawn ooooout nonsense soap opera dressed up in tight leather and bullets- despite the introduction of first person aiming. MGS3 is a billion times better, it's honestly the best MGS ever.

I haven't felt the need to play MGS2 since its release, it was that insultingly dumb of an experience- a skateboarding minigame couldn't save it either. Fun mission scenarios though, like you said.

On the flip side, Revengeance is such an incredible game it's a must-play if you have any interest at all in some of the tightest hack-and-slash ninja action you can find, and it redeems every moron's decision ever written considering this character.

Skip this garbage trash and do yourself a favor, it is ultra-terrible, your eyes will not be able to roll hard enough out of their sockets and you will only wish for the game to simply shut the fuck up and stop babbling.
I appreciate the warning but I am honor bound to see it through til the end, I fear. What about peace walker and mgsv?

I didn't even see the worst of mgs2 because I was hoping the game would reward you for shutting off the codec at the end... no such luck lol

Last edited:
I appreciate the warning but I am honor bound to see it through til the end, I fear. What about peace walker and mgsv?

I didn't even see the worst of mgs2 because I was hoping the game would reward you for shutting off the codec at the end... no such luck lol
Do not listen to the lovely @afternoon delight, MGS 4 rules. OK, maybe that's too strong. It's A Game You Will Not Forget, I feel confident putting that out there. Like it's batshit, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it fits for a series about sick robots with seemingly no utility whatsoever; you can launch missiles intercontinentally from a silo, so...why? 😂 I think even if you don't like it you'll be glad to have played it, if that...makes any sense at all. Very much looking forward to your review no matter how it shakes out!

Just to chime in on the other games: I never really liked Peace Walker. The HD version definitely makes some strides toward making it a more palatable experience, and it is the most prominent lead-in to MGS V. If you already own it I'd say certainly give it a try. I think you may love MGS V! The story still has its share of nonsense of course, but there is remarkably little story overall. I would say it is without a doubt the best the series has ever played, and mainly you are funnelled into that action without too much interruption. Pretty long game though, with some open world collecting etc.

Picked up and finished Tangle Tower as part of the Switch eshop game. A solid detective game really let down by a weak ending.

Woo! So I just discovered Famiboards and spent the last week or so reading through all 24+ pages of this thread to see what y'all have played. It was a blast, and an honor. Can't wait to join the fun next year!

My playtime this year was dominated by Splatoon 3 and Pokémon. A friend introduced me to Splatoon, taught me the basics and then we proceeded to play the various modes for the next 500 hours. My friend is nearing their 1,000th hour. Congrats or condolences? You decide.

Pokémon is a gaming staple for me, my favorite franchise forever and always despite its modern shortcomings. Not super into online battles; more of a collector and shiny hunter.

NSO is a big deal for me as well. I love revisiting old favorites and discovering new ones. The NES app is my most played by far, followed by N64.

Here are the games I've rolled credits this year. Next year I aim to be more detailed on my thoughts on the games I play.

1. Robotics;Notes Elite (NSW)
2. Ristar (NSO)
3. Kirby Team Clash Deluxe (3DS)
4. Kung-Fu Heroes (NSO)
5. Kirby's Dream Land (NSO)
6. Severed (3DS)
7. Pilotwings (NSO)
8. Sonic Adventure (Steam)
9. Mario Kart 64 (NSO)
10. Sonic Frontiers (NSW)
11. Pokémon Picross
12. City Connection (NSO)
13. Pokémon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (NSO)
14. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)
15. Blaster Master (NSO)
16. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (NSO)

My one video game regret this year is never having finished A Space for the Unbound. Bought it back in January when it came out and got distracted by other things. Shame on me.

Yeah MGS4 is probably the most batshit crazy game I’ve ever played. An explosion of bombastic fanservice, insane nonsensical twists, and at the center of it all a sense of finality from a tired, weary Kojima who just wanted to be done with the series at that point represented by Old Snake.

I think the first three are better, but I treasure MGS4 for being so unapologetically batshit. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything like it again.

Full games:
  1. Pikmin 4
  2. Octopath Traveler II
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  4. Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE
  5. Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters (though some I didn't fully finish yet :p)
  6. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  7. Baldur's Gate III
  8. Sea of Stars
  9. Pokémon Sun/Moon
  10. Super Mario Bros. (NES NSO)
  11. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  12. Fire Emblem Engage
  13. Pokémon Legends: Arceus (100%)
  14. Pokémon Scarlet (100% Pokédex)
DLC/Updates:
  1. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (with all the updates)
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
  3. Fire Emblem Engage: Fell Xenologue
  4. The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: Part 1 - The Teal Mask (Pok;emon Scarlet) (100% Pokédex)
  5. The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero: Part 2 - The Indigo Disk
MMORPG's:
  1. World of Warcraft: Dragonflight (up until Fyrakk Normal)
  2. Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons (right on time for Secrets of the Obscure)
Currently playing Pokémon Violet and bulldozing through it so I can join the upcoming Walking Wake and Iron Valiant events, this will be including the DLC as well. Also continued God of War (2018), still busy with Luigi's Mansion 3 (slowly), also still in my Super Mario RPG run. During the holidays I also hope to start with Metroid Prime Remastered.

My 2024 will be focusing on replaying and backlog. I want to finish some of the older Pokémon games on the 3DS and DS. As well as replaying the Xenoblade Trilogy. I sadly dropped Xenoblade X as I didn't get hooked on the premise. I will look up the story online and hope for a remake that smooths things a bit more out :).

Get right back on that, you need to reach the ending!

Oh too bad about that. I was thinking about getting it but I might bump it down my buy list now.
I was about to sing it's praises in the "games on sale" thread until the last 15 minutes where it just kinda stops. Not in a "play the sequel" hook, but in a "uhh here's the killer and their motive uhh don't ask anymore questions bye!"

Looking on reddit and steam, the ending being unsatisfying seems to be a common complaint not just about TT but the first game in the series as well (not on Switch).

1) Hi-Fi Rush (XS) - 9/10
2) Vampire Survivors (XS) - 5/10
3) A Monster's Expedition (PS5) - 10/10
4) Titanfall 2 (XS) - 8/10
5) The Last of Us Part 1 Remake (PS5) - 10/10
6) Understand (PC) - 7/10
7) GNOG (PS5) - 5/10
8) Pokemon Shining Pearl (Switch) - 4/10
9) A Space for the Unbound (Switch) - 8/10
10) WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (Switch) - 7/10
11) Pokemon Stadium (Switch) - 6/10
12) Pokemon Crystal (3DS) - 7/10
13) Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka (PC) - 8/10
14) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - 10/10
15) Planet of Lana (XS) - 8/10
16) Humanity (PS5) - 10/10
17) Dordogne (XS) - 6/10
18) We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie (PS5) - 10/10
19) Pikmin (Switch) - 9/10
20) Pikmin 2 (Switch) - 7/10
21) Pikmin 3 (Switch) - 10/10
22) Hey! Pikmin (3DS) - 4/10
23) Pikmin 4 (Switch) - 9/10
24) Venba (XS) - 6/10
25) Patrick's Parabox (PS5) - 9/10
26) Tren (PS5) - 8/10
27) LOCK (PS5) - 7/10
28) Supraland: Six Inches Under (XS) - 6/10
29) Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS5) - 9/10
30) Casual Birder (Playdate) - 7/10
31) Whitewater Wipeout (Playdate) - 6/10
32) Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) - 6/10
33) Boogie Loops (Playdate) - 1/10
34) Lost Your Marbles (Playdate) - 6/10
35) The Looker (PC) - 6/10
36) F-Zero 99 (Switch) - 7/10
37) Pick Pack Pup (Playdate) - 8/10
38) Flipper Lifter (Playdate) - 4/10
39) Echoic Memory (Playdate) - 3/10
40) Cocoon (XS) - 8/10
41) Omaze (Playdate) - 7/10
42) Demon Quest '85 (Playdate) - 7/10
43) Hyper Meteor (Playdate) - 5/10
44) Zipper (Playdate) - 4/10
45) Executive Golf DX (Playdate) - 2/10
46) The Excavation of Hob's Barrow (Switch) - 8/10
47) Afterdream (Switch) - 6/10
48) Chants of Sennaar (PS5) - 10/10
49) Jusant (XS) - 6/10
50) Dropsy (Switch) - 9/10
51) Saltsea Chronicles (PS5) - 9/10

52) Alan Wake (Steam Deck) - 8/10
The combat isn't great and gets repetitive, but the atmosphere, characters and locale really made up for it. I also really like the story conceit for the reason to pick up all of one of the collectibles in the world.

53) Smushi Come Home (Steam Deck) - 8/10
A great A Short Hike-like that managed to stand out in a very crowded subgenre. Just super chill vibes and more mushroom facts than you'll know what to do with.

54) Alan Wake's American Nightmare (Steam Deck) - 4/10
For some reason Remedy decided to create a spin-off which focused on the most boring part of the original game, the combat. The time loop element was an interesting idea but one that wasn't particularly executed very well, and while Mr Scratch is a fun villain there wasn't enough story to keep me interested

Last edited:
1) Super Metroid (SNES)
2) Metroid Fusion (GBA)
3) Metroid Dread (NSW)
4) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
5) MX vs ATV Legends (XSS)
6) Kuru Kuru Kuruin (GBA)
7) Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW)
8) HiFi Rush (XSS)
9) Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion (NSW)
10) Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)
11) Sonic Spinball (Genesis)
12) Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
13) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
14) Sonic CD (Sega CD)
15) Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5)
16) Donald Duck Advance (GBA)
17) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
18) Stunt Race FX (SNES)
19) Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
20) Super Mario RPG (SNES)
21) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time (SNES)
22) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
23) Tearaway (PSV)
24) Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure (GBA)
25) Gundam Battle Assault (PS1)
26) Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
27) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder’s Revenge (XSS)
28) Asura’s Wrath (X360)
29) Ridge Racer (PS1)
30) Gravity Rush (PSV)
31) Ninpen Manmaru (Saturn)
32) Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
33) Final Fantasy VII Remake INTERmission DLC (PS5)
34) En Garde! (PC)
35) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
36) BIT.TRIP RERUNNER (PC)
37) WarioWare Twisted! (GBA)
38) Sonic Dream Team (iOS)
39) Final Fantasy XVI Echoes of the Fallen DLC (PS5)
40) Electroplankton (NDS)

41) Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

I played a lot of GTA III back in high school with my best friend. I have a lot of really great memories of those times. We never played the story missions though, so playing the game now is a different experience. There’s still mayhem and it’s still fun, but it’s more structured.

I’ll be honest and admit that I beat the game using the cheats. Some of those later missions are ridiculous, and I wouldn’t have the patience for them without being able to heal myself or use a rocket launcher whenever I wanted. But I don’t feel like the cheats took away from my experience; if anything I think they made the game more fun.

I had a great time playing GTA III again. It was obviously revolutionary for its time. And while there are aspects of the game that are dated now, like the lack of camera controls or even a map, I feel like it’s still worth playing today.

But I don’t feel like the cheats took away from my experience; if anything I think they made the game more fun
GTA has always been more fun with cheats on!

As for me, I beat 9 Monkeys of Shaolin which I recently bought as part of a bundle. The combat is alright but I wish it was more fluid so it felt more like playing a wuxia flick. It does look the part though; while the character models are ugly, the backgrounds have a nice, painterly ancient China aesthetic.

Persona 5 Royal

AI Somnium Files 2: Nirvana Initiative

Lil Gator Game

Super Mario Land 2

Danganronpa 2

Great Ace Attorney Adventures

Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe

Portal

Kirby and the Forgotten Land (postgame)

Metroid Prime Remastered

Paranormasight

Trails to Azure

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Trails of Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel II

Pikmin 4

Witch On The Holy Night

Pikmin 1

Danganronpa V3

Pokemon SV DLC

Super Mario Bros Wonder

Paper Mario

Kirby Crystal Shards

WarioWare Move It!

Zero Time Dilemma

Higurashi 5

Higurashi 6

Higurashi 7

Higurashi 8

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario RPG

Higurashi Rei
Played a whole lot of games this year. Probably won't play any more because of mental health issues but a respectable list
One more! New Super Lucky's Tale. It's rare to find good traditional platformers but this one was cute! I was impressed.

Btw, I never played Banjo. Should I? The collect-a-ton aspect never clicked with me so I ignored it but I'm starting to feel afraid I'm losing out!

19: Pokemon Scarlet: Indigo Disc DLC (NSW)

At first I was pretty meh on it. However, as I played I appreciated the increase in difficulty and how it kinda forces you to focus more on status effect moves and the such if you aren't super high powered. Even then, your Pokemon can be 20 levels more than an opponent's Pokemon and get beat up. It's a step up from the first DLC part.

Terapogos is a much more interesting legendary than Ogerpon and the rest of the clown show from the Teal Mask. I do appreciate the world building and story, which I find to be a high mark for this gen compared to Gen 8. Carmine is still a very weirdly written character lmao.

The Terrarium is nice concept. I don't think it is all that special but there's nothing wrong with it. The biggest issue with Part 2 of this DLC is, and this is nitpicky but for a good reason, the BP. BP is points given to you by fulfilling missions such as catching a pokemon or auto-battling 10 Pokemon. BUT, they give you such little BP. It It makes it so boring and pointless to bother with. There is no good feeling in completing 10 missions and having 200 BP to show for it. You can't even buy the meal that gives you a shiny boost for wild pokemon. There are other things like new features for your camera or an item printer that cost 150-200 BP. If you want new designs for your rooms, that costs 400 BP....EACH. Then there is the kick in the teeth option of increasing the biodiversity of a biome. 3,000 BP. There are 4 biomes. Even when you get the bigger missions that award you 100 BP, it's still so incredibly slow to get BP. It is pointless. This isn't like back when Emerald brought us the Battle Frontier and you needed to grind BP to buy a quick claw for 48 BP. At least with an item like that or even the stat boosts items there's a tangible benefit. Here, there just isn't. It's a waste of time.

Other than that, the DLC is fun. It's hard but it is a lot of fun. If you liked the main game I would recommend the DLC. Part 1 is fine but Part 2 is the shining star. Not gonna give it a rating like with part 1. But I recommend it.

Last edited:
Man did I forgot to update this

1. SAMURAI MAIDEN
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
4. Funky Kong Country Tropical Freeze
5. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon: Nightmare mode.
6. Astalon
7. Fire Emblem Engage
8. Metroid Prime Remastered
9. Grim Guardians Demon Purge
10. Octopath Traveler 2
11. Atelier Ryza 3
12. Final Fantasy 1 PR
13. Final Fantasy 2 PR
14. Zelda TotK
15. Bat Boy
16. Super Alloy Ranger
17. Final Fantasy 5 PR.
18. Super Mario Bros Deluxe
19. Super Mario Brost Lost Levels
20. Super Mario Bros 2 US
21. Super Mario Bros 3
22 Super Mario World
23. Yoshi's Island
24. Super Mario Land
25. Super Mario Land 2
26. Dragon Marked for Death
27. Atelier Marie Remake
28. Raging Byte
29. This ways madness lies
30. Alice Escaped
31. Double Dragon Gaiden
32 Powerslave Exhumed
33. Curse Crackers
34. Retro Mistery Club vol 1
36. Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
37. Infinity Strash DQ

38. Silent Hope
39. Blasphemous 2
40. Super Mario Bros Wonder
41. Rivercity Rival Showdown
42. Rabi Ribi
43. Yohane the Parhelio Blaze in the Deep blue
44. Trigger Heart Excelica
45. 9 years of shadows
46. Tevi
47 Astlibra

And this will probably be the last one, with celebrations and going out with the family don't think I'll be able to finish anything more this year, but overall it was a good gaming year. Ended playing 6 more games than last year.

Now that’s a solid result!

Now that is interesting. I didn’t realize the DLC could actually pose that kind of challenge.
I was very curious with one of the elite battles and used Pokemon at levels 85-94. The right pair of Pokemon you go up against can tank your hits and mess you up lmao. I was thoroughly surprised I didn't blow through the trainer and almost lost.

It was a nice change of pace considering Pokemon games get criticized for being too easy lol.

108, 109. Again with a twofer: Pircoss games!

Logiart Grimoire and Khimera: Puzzle Island

Logiart Grimoire is fantastic, featuring over 300 puzzles and non-linear progression which gives you access to tons of different puzzles of varying difficulty right from the beginning. There are three assist options you can turn off for "no assist" rewards, so even if you're new to Picross I feel like this would be a great game. Granted, I haven't looked at the tutorial so I can't say whether it's good.

The game unlocks new puzzles as you've completed a certain number of already available ones, and the artstyle helps a lot. Unlike a few other Picross game, this title doesn't look clinical and empty, instead featuring a strong sense of identity with its purple color scheme, music, and the presense of the mascot who's a central figure in the plot, as well as just a flavor text provider.

The only new thing this game does is that each puzzle turns into a card you can mix with other cards to create more puzzles according to clues given to you in a sort of a Doodle God way but with strong hints towards what to mix with what.

Whenever you "craft" a puzzle wrong you might also receive a brand new random picross which in lore is described as a failed attempt at creating a picture by a game's mascot. It's a cute feature and pretty funny way to introduce a few puzzles that don't really look like anything because the wizard you talk to can't draw.

If there's one thing that bothered me a bit about actual picross is that the most complex puzzles - 40x30 - are way too big. Even when running the game in full screen those were just a chore to complete. I've had my PC restart as I was nearing the end of one of those and it annoyed me so much I turned on insta-notifications about mistakes because I really didn't want to do it again.

Other than massive puzzles, which there are very few of, the game is great. It's decently challenging with very few puzzles requiring you to do a symmetrical object or the ones that pretty much give you the answer to how the borders should be arranged right away. It took me 42 hours to complete the game, and it seems like it might get even bigger, though I imagine not by much.

Khimera, on the other hand, while charming, seems to be made with newbies in mind. It's an adorable game with some story and unlockables you can purchase by completing puzzles with no assists or under (very generous) par. Unlike Grimoire, lots of puzzles do require you to start on the perimeter or are made in such a way that only a few completed fields you'll be given enough info to start marking important spots.

There is one weird thing I've noticed: if you activate help with greying out numbers on a column/row once they are entered, computer sometimes helps a bit too much. It's a little hard to put it into words, but I've tested it a few times, but it seems AI responsible for crossing out numbers in the given column or row will actually fill out the correct number even if the player should have no idea which is it. Say you have a row of three 1s, and you know that one of them is somewhere in the middle? In Logiart, AI would not grey out any 1s until you're sure that there's nothing else close to beginning or end. Here, however, once you cover it around with X marks, the system might grey out the first 1 of the row of numbers, suggesting that, indeed, all the other ones come later to the right. It's a bit unfortunate since I'm trying not to use hints of any kind, but they seem to just appear sometimes.

This might seem a bit negative, but only because it's a particular curiosity I found in this game and in no other titles of this genre I've played, and what else can you say about picross? It's the puzzle you know and presumably love, and if you don't, this seems like a great starting point due to its ease (granted, I've skipped the tutorial, so can't really say if it goes into great detail). Amazing music, cute visuals, pretty funny story that's not too long and can be skipped if you're not into it, and even some sense of progression if you don't just want to stare at one list of 300 puzzles and need some sense of pace.

It's also DIRT CHEAP right now, going under a dollar on Steam for me.

January:
1) Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (PS2*, 9/10)
2) Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS, 7.5/10)
3) Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2*, 8/10)
4) Portal (PC, 9.5/10)

February:
5) Portal 2 (PC, 8.5/10)

March:
6) Witch on the Holy Night (NSW, 9.5/10)
7) Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC, 8.5/10)

April:
8) Trails from Zero (NSW, 9/10)
9) Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW, 9.5/10)
10) Superhot (PS4 on PS5, 7/10)

May:
11) Persona 5 Strikers (PS4 on PS5, 8.5/10)

June:
12) Sakura Wars (Saturn*, 8.5/10)

July:
13) Ys 1 Chronicles (PC, 7/10)
14) Yoshi's Island (NSO on NSW, 7.5/10)

August:
15) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN*, 8.5/10)
16) Fate/Extra (PSP on PSV, 6.5/10)
17) Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5, 8.5/10)
18) Titanfall 2 (PS4 on PS5, 9.5/10)

September:
19) OneShot (PC, 8/10)
20) Drakengard (PS2*, 6/10)
21) Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (GBA*, 8/10)
22) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA via NSW, 9/10)

October:
23) 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (NSW, 9.5/10)

November:
24) Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NSW, 9.5/10)

December:
25) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1 on PSV, 9/10)

26: Tales of the Abyss (PS2*, 8/10)

Pretty solid. This was the first ever Tales of game I played. Took me about 45 hours to complete, IIRC.

I really enjoyed the game's narrative and character cast, with Luke possibly my all-time favorite JRPG protagonist, and the entire character cast now becoming among my favorites in the genre. I think it serves as the first time I actually liked a mascot character as well in Mieu! That said, I didn't really like playing it; I wasn't a big fan of the game's combat system (especially with so many late game enemies being excessively spongey), the dungeons weren't very good, and there was an excessive amount of backtracking. Still, I really enjoyed experiencing the game's narrative, so I think it'll stick with me because of that.

#5. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

A sequel that not only managed to beat my own expectations, but soar past to new and untold heights of "better than Breath of the Wild". My Game of the Year after 210 hours across 26 weeks and it's not even close!

I'm already resisting the urge to chart my remaining 50 shrines, but I'll wait until next year... Maybe...

Tears-of-the-kingdom-visuals-gif.gif

2023 so far...
1. Deep Rock Galactic (PC)
2. Returnal (PC)
3. Lake Haven Chrysalis (PC)
4. SIGNALIS (PC)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Star Wars battlefront: Very fun and good time. Haven’t played enough 3rd person shooters to compare it to other games in its genre, but it still delivered a fun time with plenty of modes. Don’t know how I feel about them straight up reusing clips from the movies, it’s not a big deal it just stood out to me. 6.5/10, decent little time

Tekken 4: “boy this game sure is fun! Can’t wait to face up against my father in the tournam- GOOD LORD HE‘S NAKED” one of the most fun fighting games I have played, and shows to me that I should start playing more modern fighting games
Edit: Oh shoot forgot to put a score, uhhhhhhh 7.5/10

Last edited:

Dec 2023 - Persona 5 Tactica + DLC

Third P5 game completed in 2023! P5T is a really quick, fun romp back into the world of Persona 5. Comparatively short compared to the other two games (especially P5R's 100+ hours), it still managed to pack an interesting story within. It doesn't fit nicely into the overall P5 timeline but who's tracking anyway? Toshiro ended up a cooler character than expected. Like my comments for P5S, I sort of wished that Atlus had just retrieved some saved game data from P5R. The protagonist name for example.

47c5574b43ef696bdcbb77cf96cec01ea44a9445.jpg

I gave some initial comments in another thread. Not sure if I can squeeze in another short indie game (Unpacking?) before the end of the year but I am ready to reflect on all the many many games I've indulged in for 2023.

Update (that is too short to warrant a new post):

Dec 2023 - Unpacking

Hurrah for short games. It was a short and sweet experience. Almost too short. So much so that I'm kinda glad that I got the physical secondhand. AND kinda thought that I should have tried to bargain for a lower price.

17383bb9aa3d385df50bd77c7bb81cf1722e2b69.jpg

Playing this game made me dread the time when I need to move to a new place. I'm going to need A LOT of shelves for all the games, books, otaku stuff that I've accumulated over decades of my life.

Last edited:
Add Metal Gear Solid VR Missions and Alan Wake Remastered to my list. Alan Wake's story was great, but the gameplay was ehhhh. Excited to pick up Alan Wake 2 soonish

GTA 3: Now before I say anything about this game some contextualization is in order. When I play vice city earlier this year I immediately thought to hop in a taxi and drive every other yellow car (not just taxi) I saw off the road to avoid competition. Now, why this was my first though I have no idea, but the point is I was dedicated to the taxi lifestyle to the point where I made a head canon in which the GTA protagonists were the sons of the crazy taxi protagonist. So imagine my shock and awe when I jumped into a taxi and saw “activate taxi missions with R3“. I pressed R3 and this game instantaneously became a 20/10 just for letting me live my taxi driving dreams. Thanks you rockstar, now please tell me this is in future titles

*Denotes Replay

1) Guardians of the Galaxy - Cloud Version (NSW)
2) Rise of the Third Power (NSW)
3) Haiku, the Robot (NSW)
4) Fire Emblem Engage (NSW)
5) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA NSO)*
6) WareWare Inc. (GBA NSO)*
7) Panzer Dragoon Remake (NSW)*
8) Final Fantasy IX (NSW)*
9) UnMetal (NSW)
10) Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (NSW)
11) Octopath Traveler 2 (NSW)
12) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (NSW)
13) Citizen Sleeper : Purge (NSW)
14) Metroid Fusion (GBA NSO)*
15) The Red Strings Club (NSW)
16) Earthbound Beginnings (NES NSO)
17) Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (NSW)
18) Dungeon Encounters (NSW)
19) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)
20) Raptor Boyfriend: A High School Romance (NSW)
21) Picross S9 (NSW)
22) Persona 5 Royal (NSW)
23) Dragon Ball FighterZ (NSW - Game Trial NSO)
24) Brotato (NSW)
24) Voice of Cards: Beasts of Burden (NSW)
25) Unsighted (NSW)
26) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NSW)
27) Mercenaries Lament : Requiem of the Silver Wolf (NSW)
28) Vampire Survivors (NSW)
29) Sea of Stars (NSW)
30) ABZÛ (NSW)
31) Steins;Gate Elite (NSW)
32) Dorfromantik (NSW)
33) Diabolic (NSW)
34) Road 96 (NSW)
35) Knight vs. Giant: The Broken Excalibur (NSW)
36) Dredge (NSW)
37) Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk and Milk outside of bag of milk outside a bag of milk (NSW)
38) Super Kiwi 64 (NSW)
39) Super Mario Wonder (NSW)
40) Signalis (NSW)
41) Diablo II: Resurrected (NSW)
42) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (NSW)
43) Pikmin 4 (NSW)
44) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (NSW)

45) Wavetale (NSW)

This is a short (4-5 hrs) 3D platformer that nails the most important part. It feels great to play. You have a few tools in your kit. A double jump, a dash and your net that acts as a weapon as well as a sort of grappling hook. Everything feels pretty guided with not a ton of secrets in the world, so open world this is not. Combat is probably the weakest part of the gameplay, but Wavetale knows this and doesn't emphasize it in any way. Instead the spotlight remains on the joy of traversing the world here, which is quite an interesting place. It's a standard post apocalyptic world that has been flooded, but the writing and art elevate it and make it feel unique. Gameplay focuses on environmental puzzles (most of which are simple 'how do I get there?' types), but it feels so great to simply move around the map that I really enjoyed this one. I will say that I am somewhat immune to framerate problems, but even I noticed a few moments where performance chugged on the Switch. It never affected my enjoyment, but YMMV.

46) About An Elf (NSW)

Less a game and more an art piece, About An Elf is a visual novel/point and click adventure with some very, very light RPG elements. The story is nonsense, but in a delightfully insane way. The art style is the obvious star of the show here, as it doesn't look like any other game I've ever played. It's only a few hours long which is a bonus in this case. Fever dreams like this aren't meant to last all that long and there isn't enough here gameplay wise to hold up over a longer run time. If any of this sounds interesting I recommend looking up a video of it. You will likely know within seconds if it's something you'd like.

25 feels like a good number to end the year on. Overall a pretty decent year, though it feels weird to say that Metroid Prime Remastered is my GOTY. Lots to look forward to in 2024, starting with FFVII Rebirth. See you all then!

January

1. Super One More Jump (all levels) - 6
2. Axiom Verge 2 (100%) - 7
3. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - 5

February

4. Trials of Mana Remake (100% Hard) - 7.5
5. Demontower* - 5
6. Metroid Prime Remastered - 10
7. The Quarry - 7.5

March

8. Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania - 7
9. Kattish - 5
10. The Legend of Zelda NES (Replay) - 10
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Replay) - 10
12. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake (Replay) - 8

April

13. A Short Hike (Replay) - 8
14. Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster - 8

May

None. Played Zelda all month!

June

15. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 8

July

16. Final Fantasy XVI - 7.5

August

17. Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster - 9
18. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 4
19. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - 8
20. Rogue Legacy 2 - 8

September

21. Sea of Stars - 10

October

22. Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 8

November

23. Final Fantasy VII (replay) - 10

December

24. Super Mario RPG Remake - 9
25. GRIME - 8

* - This is the Night in the Woods game within a game. I am counting it because it has its own credits when you beat it. Also it is hard as hell.

first year in probably 5 years i have completed more than one (1) game in a calendar year! impressed with myself. (personal ranking in parenthesis.)

1. pokemon violet (#7)
2. tears of the kingdom (#1)
3. live a live (#5)
4. link’s awakening (#8)
5. pikmin 4 (#2)
6. super mario bros. wonder (#3)
7. super mario RPG (#6)
8. dragon quest XI (#4) (currently in progress, almost complete)

next up, trying to get back into metroid prime remastered or maybe a new game… we shall see.

Last edited:
I wanted to beat two more games to end the year off but I've been kinda depressed and just not in the mood for anything so this will be my last entry

29. Alan Wake (PC) [Finished November 10th, 2023] - 8.0

30. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC) [Finished November 10th, 2023] - 6.0

31. Alan Wake II (PC) [Finished November 22nd, 2023] - 7.5

32. Lethal Company (PC) [Finished December 20th, 2023] - 9.5

1. Mario Party Superstars (NS) [Finished January 1st, 2023] - 8
2. Bayonetta (NS) [Finished January 2nd, 2023] - 8.5
3. Pikmin (GC) [Finished January 5th, 2023] - 8.5
4. Pikmin 2 (GC) [Finished January 7th, 2023] - 6
5. Metroid Prime Remastered (NS) [Finished February 14th, 2023] - 10
6. Metroid Dread (Replay) (NS) [Finished January 21st, 2023] - 8.5
7. Metroid Prime 2 (PrimeHack) [Finished March 5th, 2023] - 8.5
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Dolphin) [Finished March 16, 2023] - 8.5
9. Sonic the Hedgehog (RetroArch) [Finished March 17th, 2023] - 4
10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (RetroArch) [Finished March 20th, 2023] - 6.5
11. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PC) [Finished March 28th, 2023] - 10
12. Resident Evil VIIIage (PC) [Finished April 4th, 2023] - 7.5
13. Dead Space Remake (PC) [Finished May 15th, 2023] - 7.5
14. Metro 2033 Redux (PC) [Finished June 5th, 2023] - 7.5
15. Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC) [Finished June 10th, 2023] - 7.5
16. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) [Finished June 30th, 2023] - 6.5
17. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (NS) [Finished July 11th, 2023] - 9.5
18. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NS) [Finished July 27th, 2023] - [??? / 10]
19. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Remastered) (PC) [Finished August 1st, 2023] - [10 / 10]
20. Pikmin 4 [100%] (NS) [Finished August 14th, 2023] - 7.5
21. Mega Man 3 (NS) [Finished August 16th, 2023] - 6.5
22. Pizza Tower (PC) [Finished September 6th, 2023] - 8.5
23. Super Mario Bros (NS) [Finished September 6th, 2023] - 8.0
24. Super Mario Bros 2 (NS) [Finished September 8th, 2023] - 8.0
25. Super Mario Bros 3 (NS) [Finished September 17th, 2023] - 6.5
26. Doom (2016) (PC) [Finished September 23rd, 2023] - 8.5
27. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NS) [Finished October 29, 2023] - 9
28. Super Mario World (NS) [Finished November 4th, 2023] - 8.5
29. Alan Wake (PC) [Finished November 10th, 2023] - 8.0
30. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (PC) [Finished November 10th, 2023] - 6.0
31. Alan Wake II [Finished November 22nd, 2023] - 7.5
32. Lethal Company [December 20th, 2023] - 9.5

Game Ranking 2023:
1. Resident Evil 4 Remake (10) (PC)
2. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (10) (PC)
3. Metroid Dread (8.5) (NS) (Need to bump this up)
4. Lethal Company (9.5) (PC)
5. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (9.5) (NS)
6. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (9.5) (NS)
7. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (8.5) (PrimeHack)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (???) (NS)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (8.5) (Dolphin)
10. Pikmin (8.5) (Dolphin)
11. Pizza Tower (8.5) (PC)
12. Doom (2016) (8.5) (PC)
13. Super Mario World (8.0) (NS)
14. Alan Wake (8.0) (PC)
15. Super Mario Bros (8.0) (NS)
16. Super Mario Bros 2 (8.0) (NS)
17. Bayonetta (8.5) (NS) (Would probably bump this down to an 8)
18. Mario Party Superstars (8.0) (NS) (Should probably bump this down to a 7.5)
19. Alan Wake II (7.5) (PC)
20. Metro 2033 Redux (7.5) (PC)
21. Pikmin 4 (7.5) (NS)
22. Resident Evil Village (7.5) (PC)
23. Resident Evil 3 Remake (7.5) (PC)
24. Dead Space Remake (7.5) (PC)
25. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (6.5) (RetroArch)
26. Super Mario Bros 3 (6.5) (NS)
27. Mega Man 3 (6.5) (NS)
28. Final Fantasy XVI (6.5) (PS5)
29. Pikmin 2 (6.0) (GC)
30. Alan Wake's American Nightmare (6.0) (PC)
31. Sonic the Hedgehog (4.0) (RetroArch)

Kinda sad I didn't get to 50 games this year like I was planning, don't think I beat my record total games beat for a year.

I didn't really think this would happen but...

22. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - this is a funny one man. I think I want to do something similar that I did for FFXVI in the OT for SM2, but there's so much about it I dislike, and yet, much like the first one, it's carried by swinging around New York City as Spider-Man. I genuinely thought I was going to drop it until Venom showed up. And once he did, I was taken on a crazy journey of highs and lows.

If the first one is your favorite game, you're going to eat this one up, because it's an overstuffed sequel that falls into basically all of the same pitfalls the first one did. And yet, it remains noteworthy because no other game has Spider-Man swinging around New York.

10. Ni No Kuni II Prince Edition

I think I prefer the original. It’s a fun romp, it looks good, combat works quite well and the manage your kingdom minigame is pretty cool.

The enemy and music reusage is a bummer though. It feels like this one had a far tighter budget. Not a tidy one.

7.5/10
11. Super Mario Wonder

Best 2D Mario platformer in years. Fun, inventive, completely nutty and a good amount of variety.

9/10 easily

I didn't really think this would happen but...

22. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 - this is a funny one man. I think I want to do something similar that I did for FFXVI in the OT for SM2, but there's so much about it I dislike, and yet, much like the first one, it's carried by swinging around New York City as Spider-Man. I genuinely thought I was going to drop it until Venom showed up. And once he did, I was taken on a crazy journey of highs and lows.

If the first one is your favorite game, you're going to eat this one up, because it's an overstuffed sequel that falls into basically all of the same pitfalls the first one did. And yet, it remains noteworthy because no other game has Spider-Man swinging around New York.
You definitely should do a write-up for SM2. Because SM2 is one of my favorite games of the year, just behind FFXVI, and I wanna respond to it!

lemme crack open the steam and retroid, see if I can jog the ol' memory.
Yakuza 5, 6, Ishin, Kurohyou 1/2 and Gaiden were 6 I took down this year. Good timing because I'm really eager for 8 and I wasn't missing very many. This means I've cleared juuust about all of the series minus Lost Paradise, Kenzan, and Dead Souls... I'll go back to wrap up Kenshiro's tale but good luck convincing me on the other 2 unless they either get rereleased, my computer jumps in quality, or there's remakes...
Pokemon Fool's Gold was a VERY fun distraction, keeping me on my toes and second guessing what I knew about these pokemon. The custom spritework is super cool too. Crystal Clear may count, but in the way Wario Land 4 and Metroid Fusion count- games I go through every year by this point.
I managed to hit Diamond II as my top in League of Legends: Wild Rift this season, which counts as me achieving my goal quite nicely! I'd need to check again, but I was sitting at around top 1-3% according to most statistics. If I get my way next year, I'll try to hit Top 500 on Teemo, which'll give me a unique load in.
Just as well, I hit Gold 4 on League Of Legends: TeamFight Tactics "Remix Rumble", which is def my #1 set from the 10 sets they've had. The music's rad, I feel there's enough skill expression to get results, and it's just a really fun way to wind down, even if I doubt I'll get any higher than gold for the season. c:
Dead Cells was a random one I wrapped up cuz of the Castlevania crossover, World of Horror I'd gush about, but one, I'd consider myself only halfway done [I've reached the end as multiple characters, beaten the game like 7 or so times, but the horrors persist, and so must I.] On every metric but my own though, it meets the completed quota, so in it goes.
Double Dragon: Rise of the Dragons was another game I REALLY enjoyed and am glad I wrapped up. The blend between Roguelite and Arcade game is expertly executed, and it's charm kept me coming back. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 I technically went through twice in 2 years, once in it's PSP original, and the remake this year. Weird game to do it with, I know, but hey.
WarioWare Mega Microgame$, WarioWare Twisted, Megaman Legends 2, and Work Time Fun! are all the others I can think of, unless you count 60 hours in pokemon ruby/sapphire pinball as some kinda victory despite me still being in it's earlier parts.
Oh, Final Fantasy XIV still isn't completed in it's entirety, but as I recall, I got through the latter parts of Heavensward, All of Stormblood, and I'm gearing up to finish Shadowbringers by the end of the year. I don't even know what else I can say about XIV that hasn't been said. I can say it's a once in a lifetime tale, but early HW and especially ARR tend to keep you hostage. It's natural I'd care more about these characters after I've spent like 300+ hours with them, but it's also nice to see the characters mature and change as they're effected by the events that are rapidly changing the world. I downed an item that allows you to change your character's appearence at hour 100, and didn't even take advantage of it until a real life year later, deciding I'd finally give my Avatar a haircut. There's much easier ways to accomplish it, but I view it as my character already being perfect, and just needing a touch up. c:
Also, Shadowbringers got some insanely good music.

first year in probably 5 years i have completed more than one (1) game in a calendar year! impressed with myself.

1. pokemon violet
2. tears of the kingdom
3. live a live
4. link’s awakening
5. super mario bros. wonder
6. super mario RPG
7. dragon quest XI (currently in progress, almost complete)

next up, trying to get back into metroid prime remastered or maybe a new game… we shall see.
omg i forgot to include pikmin 4. i am ASHAMED of myself for forgetting my dear pikmin 4. completed it after link's awakening!

Catching up with a few more titles before 2023 wraps up...

Finished in 2023 #20: Pokemon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (Nintendo Switch)

Wrapped this up right before Part 2 dropped. Ogerpon is precious, but I do prefer the story of the main game. Still enjoyable but it is definitely...more of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, for good or for ill.

Finished in 2023 #21: Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)

First time finishing the game with the remake and I loved it. What a charming Fusion of Final Fantasy style RPGs and a Super Mario platformer/action game. I'll keep it simple and say it earns the title of "Super Mario" RPG.

I'm pretty proud of myself this year! I'm also hoping I remember them all ...

#1: Persona 5 Royal (January) -- I actually got it in 2022 on my PS4, but my toxic gaming trait is beelining a game for a month or so, then dropping it around the 80% mark and ignoring it for 6 months. So ... that was fully in effect here. I finished the Royal semester in January. Baby's first Persona, and I still love it, but ...

#2: Persona 4 Golden (January/February) -- I think the other games are better. Sorry. Inaba is the best main character, Nanako is best girl, and the Social Links are excellent. I also finished it with 100% Social Links and 50% Compendium in 55 hours so I appreciate the respect for my time. I played this start to finish.

#3: Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (February/March main focus) -- My #1 played game this year. The demo was big hype and it came out just before my vacation week. Even today I am still working on a few final things to 100% the museum collections. If I had it on PS4 I probably have platinum'd this already.

#4: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (April/May) -- What a masterpiece. I was more into the VN side than the combat but the combat was definitely something different for me. This was such a nice game to curl up on the couch with at night. Didn't know I needed this. I played this start to finish.

#5: Shin Megami Tensei V (May & ongoing) -- My SMT V story is I came down with COVID again in May 2022, a week before I closed on and moved into my condo. I had it pretty bad and was bedbound for a week. So I played 40 hours of SMT V, as you do, made it to the first dungeon, ragequit, and didn't touch it for a year because I was moving house. I'm glad I gave it another go as it's now on my GOAT list. Not baby's first SMT but baby's favorite SMT. I am still working on a super demon team to get all endings, including True Neutral. That's one of 2024's goals.

#6: Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (June) -- okay, so at the time I hadn't finished XCDE (more on that later) and still haven't played 2. XC3 was also a victim of being put down in Chapter 6, so I finished it a few months later and was like, "I think I'm done with Xenoblade forever." The exploration, systems, all of it, so wonderful. But Xenoblade is just a lot. But when I saw the trailer for Future Redeemed I was like "alright, fine, we're back at it." The Affinity system should be the gold standard going forward and tickled my completionist heart. I'll admit that a lot of the finer points of the Xenoblade universe go right over my head so the ending probably didn't land as hard with me as it did with others. A is my ride or die. That's all. Played start to finish.

Side note, I played an additional 90 hours of video games in this month and I have no idea what ... I suspect Theatrhythm, and I did bring Mario Kart to work on our last day.

(In July I bought Blue Reflection: Second Light and played it to about 50% completion, and then set it down. It's a sweet, gentle game so I pick it up when the mood strikes. And in August I played lots of Theatrhythm)

#7: Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (September) -- I hadn't played an HM/SoS since well before the split, y'all, and the itch was there. Also there was a sale. I was viciously ill and spent most of September in bed, so I played just over 50 hours and finished the base game + post game requests. Did I enjoy playing it? I did. Will I ever play it again? Absolutely not. I love this genre and do not care for Stardew Valley for a variety of reasons, and PoOT felt like a reaction/response to that style of game (especially in the proliferation of makers). I picked up other games in the series (more on that later) and the other ones I have are just better.

October was an exciting unfinished gaming month. I picked up Wylde Flowers and Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life, a game I have no nostalgia for but heard good things about. I don't like the aesthetics of the former that much but have played enough that I'm intrigued by the premise (and like almost all of my games, bought on sale). The latter is delightful and again, like BR2, really a game I play when I'm in the mood. More exciting ... I acquired a 3DS and with it, the 3DS Pokemon games, the entire 3DS SMT collection and the far superior Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. I went cold turkey on gaming from 2011 to 2017 so I missed this entire generation and have a lot to get caught up on. So I've spent most of the past few months trying out these games and deciding what stays and goes.

Oh, and I grabbed SMT III: Nocturne on sale and it's kicking my ass.

#8: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond (November) -- Nothing has been more disappointing in my adult gaming life than realizing I don't love, or even like, Pokemon anymore. I'm done. I played to the 6th gym in 2022, was disappointed, and pushed myself to finish.

#9: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (November) -- Emerald is my top 3 Pokemon. This game is not. Played start to finish.

#10: Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (December) -- So. Funny story here. I made it literally 95% of the way through and dropped it like the hottest of potatoes in 2022. XCDE was a wonderful library find (we love public libraries!) and so I played 45 hours of it in a month before I had to return it. And then just didn't. I'm glad that XC3 addressed my grievances about DE (the sidequesting! the combat!). But I'm on a quest to conquer my gaming library, and I didn't want to put XCDE to rest without at least seeing it through. So I turned on Casual Mode, did 3 boss fights, and sat through probably 4 hours of cutscenes. Do I regret it? No, I don't. Will I do something similar for other games I've been working on, but struggling to finish? Probably.

#11: HARVESTELLA (October, December, 2022) -- This is slightly cheating since I beat the main story on NYE 2022, but on Christmas Eve I finished my perfect file ⭐

Getting that ending was a pain in the neck! Definitely try to fuse yourself some of those fancy endgame demons. Odin is killer.
(ask me about my fusion spreadsheet)

Not only have I planned out movesets, I also fused perfect ingredients ...

I would love to make it to 30 games finished for the year, but it's getting down to the wire. Here's my full list followed by #28.

1. Persona 5 Royal
2. Metroid Prime Remastered
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
8. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
9. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
10. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
11. Donkey Kong Country (NSO)
12. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
13. Loopers
14. The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
19. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
20. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Paper Mario
23. Contra
24. Super Contra
25. World End Syndrome
26. Operation C
27. Infernax

28. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

Despite some noticeable performance issues and questionable difficulty spikes, I really liked this game. The gameplay loop with exploring, scouting monsters, fusing them, and taking on bosses worked very well. If I were a bit more patient, I could have spent more time fusing better monsters and getting better skills, but I really wanted to finish it and get to other games. The story was fine I guess. Without getting into spoilers, the main character didn't seem very well developed. The connections to Dragon Quest IV do make me interested in playing that one sometime next year.

Most likely, my year is over in terms of finishing games. Final tally for me is 39. A little less than last year, but that was what I expected. Some thoughts.

Favorite 2023 game: Tears of the Kingdom. There really is no competition. This game engulfed my entire month of May and well into June. 152 shrines is no laughing matter!

Favorite non-2023 game: Donkey Kong Country 2. I have never 102% beaten this game. Another achievement has been unlocked in my personal history book. Legendary game!

Biggest surprise: Paper Mario Color Splash. I know that many were turned off by the series at that point, heck I dropped Sticker Star hard. That said, I was hooked very early with this game. It was an awesome surprise to say the least. Definitely rushed, but I cannot recommend it enough.

Biggest disappointment: Final Fantasy X. Ok, I really loved this game. It was the last mainline FF game I had yet to conquer, but I had issues with the final boss.

Favorite Replay: Super Mario Bros 3. I could probably list all of the Mario games here, thanks to @VolcanicDynamo's amazing event over the summer, but SMB 3 took the cake. I haven't dedicated that much time into this gem since probably the early Wii days. A legendary game that has so much love in it. Getting 100% is a must for any Nintendo fan.

Did I really not beat a game in September? Yes. Life got in the way and Starfield took up most of the time that I did have for gaming.

Favorite 2023 game not on that list: Street Fighter VI. Counter-Strike 2 is close, but I've had so much fun maining as Cammy.

January-
Mario Party 1 (NSW)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)

February-
Fire Emblem: Engage (NSW)
Super Paper Mario (Wii)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (NSO)

March-
Final Fantasy X (PS4)
Kirby's Dream Land (NSW)
Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii-U)

April-
Space Harrier 2 (NSO)
Horizon: Forbidden West (PS5)*
Pokemon Stadium (NSO)
Horizon: Forbidden West- Burnin Shores (PS5)

May-
Forspoken (PS5)
Advance Wars 1 (NSW)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (Wii-U)

June-
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)

July-
Mega Man X (NSW)
Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
Super Mario Bros (NSO)
Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (NSO)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
Super Mario Bros 2 [USA] (NSO)

August-
Pikmin 4 (NSW)
Super Mario Bros 3- NES (NSO)
Super Mario World- SNES (NSO)
Super Mario Land- GB (NSO)
Uncharted 2: Honor Among Theves (PS4)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (NSW)

October-
Starfield (Xbox)
Resident Evil 2 (PS5)- Both campaigns
Donkey Kong Country 2 (NSO)
Super Ghoul's 'n Ghosts (NSO)
Alan Wake 1 Remastered (PS5)

November-
Resident Evil 3 Remake: Nemesis (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (NSW)
Resident Evil 0 (PC)
Super Mario RPG (NSW)
Gravity Rush: Remastered (PS5)

December-
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5)

NSW- 21
^NSO- 11
PS5- 8
PS4- 3
Wii- 2
Wii-U- 2
GB- 1
PC- 1
Xbox- 1

17. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3DS)

What's better than Kirby's Adventure? Kirby's Adventure in three-dee! No seriously, the 3D adds the perfect cherry on top to make this beautiful game even better. The way the foreground pops with the 3D on makes you think that's how the developers envisioned the game to look but just didn't have the available tech at the time. Also, no slow down! Highly recommend.

1. Desperados III [ PC ] - 9
2. Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path ( Replay ) [ DS*] - 10
3. Resident Evil Deadly Silence [ DS*] - 8.5
4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 8.5
5. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [ DS ] - 6
6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [ DS ] - 6
7. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 9
8. Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony [ NS ] - 7
9. Gargoyle's Quest [ GB ] - 7.5
10. Ace Attorney Investigations ( Replay ) [ DS ] - 9
Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2 [ NS ]
11. Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness - 7.5
13. Giga Wing - 7
14. Progear - 8
15. Eco Fighters - 8.5
16. Darkstalkers The Night Warriors - 5
12. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride [ DS*] - 10
17. Signalis [ NS ] - 10 - 2 playthroughs
18. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 6 - 3rd playthrough, first time on the 3DS
19. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 10
20. Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ DS ] - 10 - This is probably my 6th or 7th playthrough overall
21. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [ NS ] - 9
22. Final Fight 2 [ SNES* ] - 7
23. Final Fight 3 [ SNES* ] - 8
24. Metroid Prime ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough
25. Resident Evil 4 (2005) ( Replay ) [ Wii ] - 9
26. Viewtiful Joe ( Replay ) [ GC ] - 10
27. Viewtiful Joe 2 ( Replay ) [ GC ] - 10
28. Advance Wars [ NS ] - 9
29. Doom (1993) [ NS ] - 8
30. Hi-Fi Rush [ PC ] - 5
31. Strider 2 [ PS1 ] - 6
32. Kirby's Return to Dreamland ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough
33. Demon Souls [ PS3 ]
34. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [ NS ] - 6
35. Mass Effect [ PC ]
36. Last Command [ NS ] - 8
37. Mohism: Battle of Words [ PC ] - 7.5
38. The Chrono Jotter [ PC ] - 10
39. Valis IV [ PC-Engine ] - 7
40. missed messages. [ PC ] - 7
41. Pikmin 3 ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough, 5th overall.
42. Eternal Darkness [ GC ] - 8.5
43. Pikmin 4 [ NS ] - 5
44. Professor Layton and the Last Specter [ DS ] - 9
45. Fear the Spotlight [ PC ] - 7
46. Life is Strage Remastered ( Replay ) [ PC ] - 7
47. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus [ 3DS ] - 7
48. Super Mario Bros. Wonder [ NS ] - 9
49. Resident Evil 4 (2023) [ PC ] - 10
50. Eigengrau [ NS ] - 9

51. Disney's The Little Mermaid [ *NES ] - 7

Fun short and sweet side scroller with a what if scenario of the Little Mermaid, with an appropiate visual style and music that sounds fitting for the movie it represents. They lovingly recreated the whole Under the Sea song in 8 bit as the title screen theme, I don't know how much they actually liked these movies, but Capcom always made sure to make a good game out of them plus shows like Goof Troop and Ducktales, and also added really good original soundtracks and amazing arrangements, and one so good that it became part of a reboot show years later.

*35. Mass Effect (Legendary Edition) ( Replay ) [ PC ] - 10

The first Mass Effect game benefits the most from the Legendary Edition release by polishing up a lot of the jank in terms of controls from both the characters and the Mako vehicle while retaining its equipment and level up mechanics, which elevates a great game to pretty much a masterpiece to me, with its overall great narrative that ties well your alien companions, their goals and motivations and how you behave with them into the main storyline, alongside its great world and presentation.

52. Mass Effect 2 (Legendary Edition) [ PC ] - 9

While a lot less focused than the first game in its story, and I don't find the survey system a good replacement for the Mako exploration of the first game (like it's fun at first but it takes a while going through every planet launching probes to harvest all that material over time and is not the most engaging thing in the world), Mass Effect 2 makes up for it with a genuinely great cast of characters, just like the first game the alien companions are the highlight and are allowed to be more nuanced and interesting on their own as characters since all the work of establishing their culture was mostly set by the first game, and the core of the gameplay with building up your ship and loyalty with them does end up tying itself nicely into the story by the finale. The combat is a lot more like a TPS of the time, I didn't mind the shift that much since it ended up being pretty solid despite some more annoying enemy encounters.

53. Final Fantasy XVI [ PS5 ] - 10

XVI is the latest controversial title in the long running Final Fantasy franchise, handled by Creative Business Unit III, the side of Square in charge of the Online FF titles and with merging from the division that handled the Dragon Quest Builders games, little what I played of XI was pretty cool tho something where one clearly needs a more active group of people to get the most out of it, and I'm overall a pretty big fan of XIV, even with some lows in its story and gameplay, is something I remain pretty engaged with and I'm looking forward to Dawntrail.

My excitement from the game was something that grew out of my experience with XIV and the key people involved with the game.

For the most part action based gameplay isn't something I find Square to be good at by themselves, Mana is solid enough and that is the best example they have without resorting to studios like Platinum or Koei. For XVI however they brought Ryota Susuki, a Capcom guy which is a company great at that, so much that every IP of them at some point just ends up being an action title, I'm waiting for that to happen to Ace Attorney. So for this game I could have some level of confidence that they'll pull off the gameplay well.

Kazutoyo Maehiro acts as creative director and scenario writer, the main scenario writer for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward in FFXIV, Heavensward remains for me the whole company's peak in terms of narrative, extremely well focused on its themes and progression with a great cast of characters, even its leadups to Stormblood and Shadowbringers were incredibly well done. So I had a good amount of confidence that the game would deliver on story as well.

Hiroshi Minagawa and Kazuya Takahashi as Art Director and Character Design respectively, mixing people that worked in Tactics, XII, XI and both in XIV, those games are my ideal way of how Final Fantasy should look, a fairly unpopular take I would have around here is that looking at XVI it definitely feels to me like a sensible transition from a game like VI in a modern 3D. Could also look at it as next gen XIV. Either way it looked great and finally being able to play it and see all its characters and locations, yep, I love the look of it.

Masayoshi Soken is the main composer of the game and given all the tracks I loved from XIV I was definitely pretty excited to hear more of his work, his way of making extremely memorable motifs for locations and characters would serve well to elevate the score of XVI, and his general proficiency with different music genres. Also loved the way he uses Prelude and the Theme of Final Fantasy across several tracks in XIV.

Also due praise to Koji Fox, XIV from Heavensward and onwards being an exception to me with Square of making a really good effort with the english localization and voice cast, also brought for XVI.

And of course Naoki Yoshida, head of the division, director and producer of XIV, producer of XVI and a Dragon Quest guy.

A stacked set of key people that would certainly deliver on a great game, and boy what a game.

While the story wasn't as constant peak as Heavensward imo, and while I wasn't initially sold on certain story shifts, it ended up winning me over on pretty much all narrative threads. The more what I would call trademarked Final Fantasy BS turns is well foreshadowed in advance and twists weren't treated as anything grand but rather slowly unveiled, almost giving it a Tales of esque quality to some of them, which hey, I won't complain about that. What serves best the story and themes is the amazing cast of characters, it has a been a while since I liked pretty much every major and even minor character presented in a game between its main and side scenarios, was impressed with how much I ended up being attached to all of them, Clive is a fantastic protagonist and eternal good boi, a peak Cid, I'm glad Jill isn't perpetually horny for Clive and is a great character on her own and ended up finding their relationship extremely sweet, Dion is so good even with his relatively short screentime that he could be another peak main character in a different game, Gav? Mid? Byron? Love them, added to that are a lot of consistently entertaining and interesting antagonists as well.

Don't have much else to say about the visual aspect, it looks beautiful, I adore the character design and art direction, and the design of the Summons/Eikons are fantastic, my favorite Shiva. The music, oh man, Soken. He definitely went with a more cinematic flair than in his XIV work, but it worked so well regardless. The locales tracks, open areas and calm "dungeon" themes have more of an ambiance style to them, but still have well recognizable and memorable motifs to tie them all together, he has a heavier use of the Prelude and Theme of Final Fantasy in this game and its all pretty well done, when it hits in some boss themes or tracks like Final Farewells, chef kiss. And the battle themes, he went all out on them, the Eikon fight themes rival the best of XIV and the entire series, and Ascension is without a doubt his Dancing Mad moment, what a tremendous track for arguably the game's best sequence. The character motifs/themes are also some of Soken's best pieces, Find the Flame for Clive, My Star and all its arrangements for Jill.

Gameplay is really good, the combat system isn't perfect and I have certain preferences for how abilities and the camera works that clashes with XVI, but is still a net positive in my engagement and enjoyment, like really just putting the camera further away for the mob encounters (it works really well for any boss) and replacing the cooldowns with a TP system like Tales of and that would be pretty much ideal. There are a lot of XIV stuff in here with how the boss mechanics, AoE attacks and the like work out, and I always found XIV combat to be pretty much an action game with more sequenced pacing considering the multiplayer aspect and the boss structures, so XVI is pretty much a transition of that to a single player game where your skill and damage output takes control of the pacing of the fight, a more dynamic XIV and I'm fine with that. Working towards mastering Eikon abilities to be able to set them to any of your 3 equippable Eikons is a must in order to maximize the character expression of the abilities and I quite enjoyed that aspect, there are a good amount of opportunities for aerial combos, pulls, juggle enemies, and the diversity of the Eikons is great as well, with timing based attacks, gauge based attacks, rapid fire melee, and crowd control. Think one element that I would really loved was more weapon types, Eikons kind of serve part of that role but being on a cooldown means that you can't have that available at all times, maybe get a different weapon for every Eikon, could have made the combat system even more in depth. Much praise has gone to the bosses, specifically the Eikon ones and I won't disagree there, the scale and spectacle in incredible, and the occassional shift in gameplay styles like is a Hideki Kamiya title is something where I go, who am I to complain about that, and it's a spectable in the middle of a story I care about with characters I'm really attached to, so it's a great combo of style combined with the substance of the narrative.

My take on side quests is like this, you can either give me a mechanically interesting quest or a interesting story even if the quest itself is nothing special and I'll be happy with that, there can be side scenarios with both and there are some that are both in XVI, but a vast majority of them fall in the later side, they hit me with really good stories or interesting character moments, and these just get better as the game goes along, some scenes so good that you would think they aren't an optional scene. There is a lot of production values going on that aspect as well, from scenes directed with the animation quality of the main story important cutscenes, plus a lot of locations in the map are pretty much just made for side stories which I find neat. So despite the simplistic objectives and fetch quest nature of a lot of them, I still did and enjoy doing every single one of them before ending the game.

The world is split into main exploration areas for each nation you visit, each starts as a pretty detached "levels" but the more you progress each nation ends up becoming one well connected area, the "dungeons" as I'll refer to since they work pretty similarly to XIV's, are basically an action stage split between mobs, cutscenes, mini bosses and one grand boss fight or two in the end, which can be replayed normally or with some restrictions under an arcade mode, much like replaying dungeons/raids in the MMO. A familiar structure for me and one I enjoy.

One of the goals of the game was trying to expand the audience for Final Fantasy, in doing so, one of their decisions was to localize the game in more languages, they have some limits in budget so they had to make a choice, and with a weird stroke of logic, they decided to fully voice the game in Latin American Spanish considering that people played their games more over there than in Spain, one more point towards CBU3, this is the first Final Fantasy game fully translated and dubbed in that language, and with a big cast of Mexican talent, which was music to my ears, and dude every single sidequest is fully voiced, it took me like 70 hours to complete the game, and having a game of this scale done in my language with a lot of voices I love was amazing, and it came from Square Enix of all companies. I hope CBU3 gets to do that again in future projects and if not, well I'll treasure this dub forever.

I don't know what a real Final Fantasy game is but, I'll say that considering all I played of XIV and XVI, that I don't think there is anyone at Square that loves Final Fantasy and its elements like summons, the enemies, story themes and music as much as this team, like I don't think they would give such a great incarnations to Cid and Mid if they had some resentment towards those games, give the Eikons such great boss fights and center a story around them, the heavy use of the iconic main themes of the series in a ton of tracks, and include so many references to other games across its dialogue and worldbuilding otherwise. Honestly I don't care much for the discourse, but is pretty funny to me considering the games.

All the series needed to be peak was to have some Dragon Quest V on it, who would have thunk it.

Also arguably has the strongest gay character in videogames, that is something you can say about XVI.

54. Astro's Playroom [ PS5 ] - 6

Decent showcase for the Dualsense controller. The game has 16 levels, half of them are core 3D platforming stages and the other half are gimmicks that use the controller capabilities. The core platforming is fun, Astro feels good to control and it's enjoyable to explore around to collect coins and puzzle pieces despite some arbitrary ways the level change blocks the ability to back track, so if you missed something you have to restart the level. While I don't mind gimmick levels or mechanics in theory, Playroom's I felt mixed on, the functionality of the controller is fairly precise, but the feel itself or how it controls can be more of a hit or a miss regardless if the controller function works really well. There is also a lot of collectibles in the form of PS products and consoles, and a lot of references to Sony IPs and exclusives/former exclusives across their history, I don't know how much of my feelings and score for the game are affected from having the legendary Monster Hunter franchise have a reference next to Crash in the jungle level, plus a little after that Alucard from the mid Castlevania titles, that was definitely a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom