• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The 2023 Completed Games Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Desperados III [ PC ] - 9
2. Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor's Path ( Replay ) [ DS*] - 10
3. Resident Evil Deadly Silence [ DS*] - 8.5
4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 8.5
5. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box [ DS ] - 6
6. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future [ DS ] - 6
7. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 9
8. Koumajou Remilia: Scarlet Symphony [ NS ] - 7
9. Gargoyle's Quest [ GB ] - 7.5
10. Ace Attorney Investigations ( Replay ) [ DS ] - 9
Capcom Arcade Stadium 1 & 2 [ NS ]
11. Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness - 7.5
13. Giga Wing - 7
14. Progear - 8
15. Eco Fighters - 8.5
16. Darkstalkers The Night Warriors - 5
12. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride [ DS*] - 10
17. Signalis [ NS ] - 10 - 2 playthroughs
18. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 6 - 3rd playthrough, first time on the 3DS
19. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice ( Replay ) [ 3DS ] - 10
20. Ace Attorney ( Replay ) [ DS ] - 10 - This is probably my 6th or 7th playthrough overall
21. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon [ NS ] - 9
22. Final Fight 2 [ SNES* ] - 7
23. Final Fight 3 [ SNES* ] - 8
24. Metroid Prime ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough
25. Resident Evil 4 (2005) ( Replay ) [ Wii ] - 9
26. Viewtiful Joe ( Replay ) [ GC ] - 10
27. Viewtiful Joe 2 ( Replay ) [ GC ] - 10
28. Advance Wars [ NS ] - 9
29. Doom (1993) [ NS ] - 8
30. Hi-Fi Rush [ PC ] - 5
31. Strider 2 [ PS1 ] - 6
32. Kirby's Return to Dreamland ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough
33. Demon Souls [ PS3 ]
34. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom [ NS ] - 6
35. Mass Effect [ PC ]
36. Last Command [ NS ] - 8
37. Mohism: Battle of Words [ PC ] - 7.5
38. The Chrono Jotter [ PC ] - 10
39. Valis IV [ PC-Engine ] - 7
40. missed messages. [ PC ] - 7
41. Pikmin 3 ( Replay ) [ NS ] - 10 - First Switch playthrough, 5th overall.
42. Eternal Darkness [ GC ] - 8.5
43. Pikmin 4 [ NS ] - 5
44. Professor Layton and the Last Specter [ DS ] - 9
45. Fear the Spotlight [ PC ] - 7
46. Life is Strage Remastered ( Replay ) [ PC ] - 7
47. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus [ 3DS ] - 7
48. Super Mario Bros. Wonder [ NS ] - 9
49. Resident Evil 4 (2023) [ PC ] - 10
50. Eigengrau [ NS ] - 9

51. Disney's The Little Mermaid [ *NES ] - 7

Fun short and sweet side scroller with a what if scenario of the Little Mermaid, with an appropiate visual style and music that sounds fitting for the movie it represents. They lovingly recreated the whole Under the Sea song in 8 bit as the title screen theme, I don't know how much they actually liked these movies, but Capcom always made sure to make a good game out of them plus shows like Goof Troop and Ducktales, and also added really good original soundtracks and amazing arrangements, and one so good that it became part of a reboot show years later.

*35. Mass Effect (Legendary Edition) ( Replay ) [ PC ] - 10

The first Mass Effect game benefits the most from the Legendary Edition release by polishing up a lot of the jank in terms of controls from both the characters and the Mako vehicle while retaining its equipment and level up mechanics, which elevates a great game to pretty much a masterpiece to me, with its overall great narrative that ties well your alien companions, their goals and motivations and how you behave with them into the main storyline, alongside its great world and presentation.

52. Mass Effect 2 (Legendary Edition) [ PC ] - 9

While a lot less focused than the first game in its story, and I don't find the survey system a good replacement for the Mako exploration of the first game (like it's fun at first but it takes a while going through every planet launching probes to harvest all that material over time and is not the most engaging thing in the world), Mass Effect 2 makes up for it with a genuinely great cast of characters, just like the first game the alien companions are the highlight and are allowed to be more nuanced and interesting on their own as characters since all the work of establishing their culture was mostly set by the first game, and the core of the gameplay with building up your ship and loyalty with them does end up tying itself nicely into the story by the finale. The combat is a lot more like a TPS of the time, I didn't mind the shift that much since it ended up being pretty solid despite some more annoying enemy encounters.

53. Final Fantasy XVI [ PS5 ] - 10

XVI is the latest controversial title in the long running Final Fantasy franchise, handled by Creative Business Unit III, the side of Square in charge of the Online FF titles and with merging from the division that handled the Dragon Quest Builders games, little what I played of XI was pretty cool tho something where one clearly needs a more active group of people to get the most out of it, and I'm overall a pretty big fan of XIV, even with some lows in its story and gameplay, is something I remain pretty engaged with and I'm looking forward to Dawntrail.

My excitement from the game was something that grew out of my experience with XIV and the key people involved with the game.

For the most part action based gameplay isn't something I find Square to be good at by themselves, Mana is solid enough and that is the best example they have without resorting to studios like Platinum or Koei. For XVI however they brought Ryota Susuki, a Capcom guy which is a company great at that, so much that every IP of them at some point just ends up being an action title, I'm waiting for that to happen to Ace Attorney. So for this game I could have some level of confidence that they'll pull off the gameplay well.

Kazutoyo Maehiro acts as creative director and scenario writer, the main scenario writer for A Realm Reborn and Heavensward in FFXIV, Heavensward remains for me the whole company's peak in terms of narrative, extremely well focused on its themes and progression with a great cast of characters, even its leadups to Stormblood and Shadowbringers were incredibly well done. So I had a good amount of confidence that the game would deliver on story as well.

Hiroshi Minagawa and Kazuya Takahashi as Art Director and Character Design respectively, mixing people that worked in Tactics, XII, XI and both in XIV, those games are my ideal way of how Final Fantasy should look, a fairly unpopular take I would have around here is that looking at XVI it definitely feels to me like a sensible transition from a game like VI in a modern 3D. Could also look at it as next gen XIV. Either way it looked great and finally being able to play it and see all its characters and locations, yep, I love the look of it.

Masayoshi Soken is the main composer of the game and given all the tracks I loved from XIV I was definitely pretty excited to hear more of his work, his way of making extremely memorable motifs for locations and characters would serve well to elevate the score of XVI, and his general proficiency with different music genres. Also loved the way he uses Prelude and the Theme of Final Fantasy across several tracks in XIV.

Also due praise to Koji Fox, XIV from Heavensward and onwards being an exception to me with Square of making a really good effort with the english localization and voice cast, also brought for XVI.

And of course Naoki Yoshida, head of the division, director and producer of XIV, producer of XVI and a Dragon Quest guy.

A stacked set of key people that would certainly deliver on a great game, and boy what a game.

While the story wasn't as constant peak as Heavensward imo, and while I wasn't initially sold on certain story shifts, it ended up winning me over on pretty much all narrative threads. The more what I would call trademarked Final Fantasy BS turns is well foreshadowed in advance and twists weren't treated as anything grand but rather slowly unveiled, almost giving it a Tales of esque quality to some of them, which hey, I won't complain about that. What serves best the story and themes is the amazing cast of characters, it has a been a while since I liked pretty much every major and even minor character presented in a game between its main and side scenarios, was impressed with how much I ended up being attached to all of them, Clive is a fantastic protagonist and eternal good boi, a peak Cid, I'm glad Jill isn't perpetually horny for Clive and is a great character on her own and ended up finding their relationship extremely sweet, Dion is so good even with his relatively short screentime that he could be another peak main character in a different game, Gav? Mid? Byron? Love them, added to that are a lot of consistently entertaining and interesting antagonists as well.

Don't have much else to say about the visual aspect, it looks beautiful, I adore the character design and art direction, and the design of the Summons/Eikons are fantastic, my favorite Shiva. The music, oh man, Soken. He definitely went with a more cinematic flair than in his XIV work, but it worked so well regardless. The locales tracks, open areas and calm "dungeon" themes have more of an ambiance style to them, but still have well recognizable and memorable motifs to tie them all together, he has a heavier use of the Prelude and Theme of Final Fantasy in this game and its all pretty well done, when it hits in some boss themes or tracks like Final Farewells, chef kiss. And the battle themes, he went all out on them, the Eikon fight themes rival the best of XIV and the entire series, and Ascension is without a doubt his Dancing Mad moment, what a tremendous track for arguably the game's best sequence. The character motifs/themes are also some of Soken's best pieces, Find the Flame for Clive, My Star and all its arrangements for Jill.

Gameplay is really good, the combat system isn't perfect and I have certain preferences for how abilities and the camera works that clashes with XVI, but is still a net positive in my engagement and enjoyment, like really just putting the camera further away for the mob encounters (it works really well for any boss) and replacing the cooldowns with a TP system like Tales of and that would be pretty much ideal. There are a lot of XIV stuff in here with how the boss mechanics, AoE attacks and the like work out, and I always found XIV combat to be pretty much an action game with more sequenced pacing considering the multiplayer aspect and the boss structures, so XVI is pretty much a transition of that to a single player game where your skill and damage output takes control of the pacing of the fight, a more dynamic XIV and I'm fine with that. Working towards mastering Eikon abilities to be able to set them to any of your 3 equippable Eikons is a must in order to maximize the character expression of the abilities and I quite enjoyed that aspect, there are a good amount of opportunities for aerial combos, pulls, juggle enemies, and the diversity of the Eikons is great as well, with timing based attacks, gauge based attacks, rapid fire melee, and crowd control. Think one element that I would really loved was more weapon types, Eikons kind of serve part of that role but being on a cooldown means that you can't have that available at all times, maybe get a different weapon for every Eikon, could have made the combat system even more in depth. Much praise has gone to the bosses, specifically the Eikon ones and I won't disagree there, the scale and spectacle in incredible, and the occassional shift in gameplay styles like is a Hideki Kamiya title is something where I go, who am I to complain about that, and it's a spectable in the middle of a story I care about with characters I'm really attached to, so it's a great combo of style combined with the substance of the narrative.

My take on side quests is like this, you can either give me a mechanically interesting quest or a interesting story even if the quest itself is nothing special and I'll be happy with that, there can be side scenarios with both and there are some that are both in XVI, but a vast majority of them fall in the later side, they hit me with really good stories or interesting character moments, and these just get better as the game goes along, some scenes so good that you would think they aren't an optional scene. There is a lot of production values going on that aspect as well, from scenes directed with the animation quality of the main story important cutscenes, plus a lot of locations in the map are pretty much just made for side stories which I find neat. So despite the simplistic objectives and fetch quest nature of a lot of them, I still did and enjoy doing every single one of them before ending the game.

The world is split into main exploration areas for each nation you visit, each starts as a pretty detached "levels" but the more you progress each nation ends up becoming one well connected area, the "dungeons" as I'll refer to since they work pretty similarly to XIV's, are basically an action stage split between mobs, cutscenes, mini bosses and one grand boss fight or two in the end, which can be replayed normally or with some restrictions under an arcade mode, much like replaying dungeons/raids in the MMO. A familiar structure for me and one I enjoy.

One of the goals of the game was trying to expand the audience for Final Fantasy, in doing so, one of their decisions was to localize the game in more languages, they have some limits in budget so they had to make a choice, and with a weird stroke of logic, they decided to fully voice the game in Latin American Spanish considering that people played their games more over there than in Spain, one more point towards CBU3, this is the first Final Fantasy game fully translated and dubbed in that language, and with a big cast of Mexican talent, which was music to my ears, and dude every single sidequest is fully voiced, it took me like 70 hours to complete the game, and having a game of this scale done in my language with a lot of voices I love was amazing, and it came from Square Enix of all companies. I hope CBU3 gets to do that again in future projects and if not, well I'll treasure this dub forever.

I don't know what a real Final Fantasy game is but, I'll say that considering all I played of XIV and XVI, that I don't think there is anyone at Square that loves Final Fantasy and its elements like summons, the enemies, story themes and music as much as this team, like I don't think they would give such a great incarnations to Cid and Mid if they had some resentment towards those games, give the Eikons such great boss fights and center a story around them, the heavy use of the iconic main themes of the series in a ton of tracks, and include so many references to other games across its dialogue and worldbuilding otherwise. Honestly I don't care much for the discourse, but is pretty funny to me considering the games.

All the series needed to be peak was to have some Dragon Quest V on it, who would have thunk it.

Also arguably has the strongest gay character in videogames, that is something you can say about XVI.

54. Astro's Playroom [ PS5 ] - 6

Decent showcase for the Dualsense controller. The game has 16 levels, half of them are core 3D platforming stages and the other half are gimmicks that use the controller capabilities. The core platforming is fun, Astro feels good to control and it's enjoyable to explore around to collect coins and puzzle pieces despite some arbitrary ways the level change blocks the ability to back track, so if you missed something you have to restart the level. While I don't mind gimmick levels or mechanics in theory, Playroom's I felt mixed on, the functionality of the controller is fairly precise, but the feel itself or how it controls can be more of a hit or a miss regardless if the controller function works really well. There is also a lot of collectibles in the form of PS products and consoles, and a lot of references to Sony IPs and exclusives/former exclusives across their history, I don't know how much of my feelings and score for the game are affected from having the legendary Monster Hunter franchise have a reference next to Crash in the jungle level, plus a little after that Alucard from the mid Castlevania titles, that was definitely a choice.
FFXVI praise is music to my ears ❤️

46) Sonic frontiers(base story)
Still messing with another story but since I beat the retail release it counts. Fun but a contradiction
47) Gigabash(4 story arcs and an arcade run)
Tough on my thumb but a great time. Story mode is surprisingly high budget. Not in a rush to get the dlc tho despite wanting it

Previous games:
1)Yoku’s island express
2)Live a Live
3)Arcade Paradise
4)The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
5)Immortal Fenyx rising
6) SD Gundam Battle Alliance
7)Nier Automata
8)Crimson Skies High road to revenge
9)Stacking
10)Conker Live and reloaded
11)Legend of Zelda the minish Cap
12)Ducktales remastered
13)Vostok Inc
14) Star Wars Battlefront(OG)
15)Kirby and the forgotten land
16) Xenoblade chronicles 3 Future Redeemed
17) Sonic Adventure(Xbox)
18)Rhapsody a Musical Adventure
19)Legend Of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
20)The Great Ace Attorney 2 Resolve
21) Super Mario Advance(Super Mario Bros 2)
22)Lunistice
23)Ghost Trick(phone version)
24) Crusader of Centy
25)Cosmic Star Heroine
26) SMA2 SMW
27)SMA3 YI
28)SMA4 SMB3
29)SMB the Lost Levels(All Stars)
30)SMB(all Stars)
31) FFVIII
32) From Dust
33) Sonic Adventure 2
34) FEWTH
35)We Love katamari Reroll
36)Captain Toad treasure tracker
37) Super Mario Bros Wonder
38) Mario and Luigi Superstar saga
39)Nier Replicant(all routes)
40) Mario Party 3 (story mode)
41) Elevator Action Returns S-tribute
42) Pikmin
43) Super Mario RPG
44) Pictoquest
45) Sphinx and the cursed mummy

Total by system:
PS3 - 5
PS5 - 16
NS - 8
NSO - 2 (counting separately because they're not strictly Switch games)
iOS - 1
  1. Lost Judgement (PS5) - 97 hours - 10/10
  2. Fire Emblem: Engage (NS) - 44 hours - 5/10
  3. Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! (PS3) - 70 hours - 10/10
  4. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (NSO) - 2 hours - 9.5/10
  5. Like a Dragon: Ishin! Kiwami (PS5) - 125 hours - 11/10
  6. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (NSO) - 20 hours - 9/10
  7. Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3) - 30 hours - 8.5/10
  8. The Kaito Files (PS5) - 15 hours - 11/10
  9. Yakuza 1 HD (PS3) - 10 hours - 7/10
  10. Yakuza 2 HD (PS3) - 15 hours - 8/10
  11. Yakuza 3 Remastered (PS5) - 80 hours - 10/10
  12. Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (NS) - 20 hours - 7/10
  13. Octopath Traveller 2 (PS5) - 60 hours - 8.5/10
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NS) - 75 hours - 7/10
  15. Metroid Prime Remastered (NS) - 15 hours - 8/10
  16. Diablo IV (PS5) - 5 hours (retired) - 2.5/10
  17. Tokyo Jungle (PS3) - 5 hours - 8.5/10
  18. Pikmin 4 (NS) - 80 hours - 11/10
  19. Dragon Quest X Offline - 25 hours (retired) - 2/10
  20. Street Fighter 6 (PS5) - 30 hours - 9/10
  21. Game Dev Story (iOS) - 10 hours - 9.5/10
  22. Persona 5 Royal (PS5) - 89 hours - 11/10
  23. Persona 5 Strikers (PS5) - 56 hours - 10/10
  24. Pokemon SV: The Teal Mask (NS) - 10 hours - 9/10
  25. Yakuza 0 (PS5) - 135 hours - GOAT
  26. Civilization VI (PS5) - 15 hours - 9/10
  27. Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS5) - 45 hours - 11/10
  28. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (PS5) - 50 hours - 12/10
  29. Persona 4 Golden (PS5) - 50 hours - 9/10
  30. Pokemon SV: The Indigo Disk (NS) - 15 hours - 9.5/10
    A fun bit of DLC - the battles in this are some of the best I've had in years. The story is a bit nothing and doesn't do as much with the characters as I'd like (especially Carmine - who's just sort of there in this one). The Blueberry Academy setting is decent enough, but the world design in the Terarium felt like a step or two back from Kitakami and Paldea. Still a lot of fun though.

31. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (NS) - 50 hours - 8/10
    First time I've ever actually played a DQM game through to the end. It did a lot of stuff I really liked, had a cool atmosphere and great monster design. It gets a bit long in the tooth for me near the end, and monster distribution is a bit annoying to work out at times, but it was fun regardless.

Currently have these ongoing:
  • Persona 5 Tactica - 15 battles in, debating whether to keep going or not. I loved 5 Royal and Strikers (see scores above) but am not feeling this so far.
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Super Mario RPG

I think that does it for me this year. I've doubled the number of games I finished from last year, but spent less time with most of them too. Pretty productive year for my backlog.

SONIIIIIIIC SUPASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS: Kinda caught me outta left field with how good this one was considering how many people were treating it like garbage. I mean the music and art style and level design and just about everything this game does mania handles better, but it’s still above most 2D sonic games. Plus this game actually has a roster of only unique levels, something we haven’t seen since rush adventure in the early-mid 2000’s. I didn’t even find the bosses all that annoying, something I was sure I would after seeing even positive reviewers dunk on them. 8/10, you should absolutely get it on discount (please don’t spend 60 dollars on this three hour game though)

first year in probably 5 years i have completed more than one (1) game in a calendar year! impressed with myself. (personal ranking in parenthesis.)

1. pokemon violet (#7)
2. tears of the kingdom (#1)
3. live a live (#5)
4. link’s awakening (#8)
5. pikmin 4 (#2)
6. super mario bros. wonder (#3)
7. super mario RPG (#6)
8. dragon quest XI (#4) (currently in progress, almost complete)

next up, trying to get back into metroid prime remastered or maybe a new game… we shall see.
update: completed DQXI S! what a fun ride. i would slot that in to my 4th place this year, though i would say it's almost a tie with SMBW.

Finished in 2023 #22: Picross S8 (Nintendo Switch)

Snuck in one last Picross game before the end of 2023. Finished this one a bit faster than S6 and S7 - either this one was easier or I'm getting better. Not much more to add here - the game is your expected top notch Picross entry, the same high quality puzzles and features you come to expect with no BS. I'm gonna start S9 in the new year to finally catch up on my Jupiter Picross before the full release of Logiart Grimoire.

This one might just be the last game I finish this year. I'm playing one more Nonogram game, Pixel Puzzle Makeout League, which I may or may not finish - if not, it'll be my first clear of 2024. But this means I've left a few of the big 2023 games incomplete. No Zelda, no Pikmin 4. Made decent amounts of progress, have my thoughts on them, but for the time being they won't be making to the completion board of 2023 unless I do nothing but play them for the next three days. That won't be likely, but if I finish at least one of them on my work break in January, I'll be satisfied.

I finished the main story in God of War Ragnarok last night (including the funeral scene) and am only popping in here to note that Bear McCreary as Raeb is very immersion breaking (possibly because I've love his work as a composer starting with Battlestar Galactica).

raeb-god-of-war-ragnarok-1.jpg

This will likely be my final post of the year. I might be able to squeeze one more in, but I doubt it. Really went hard with short games this last couple of weeks, but there were so many good deals on the eshop this holiday season I wanted to really knock a few out.

*Denotes Replay

1) Guardians of the Galaxy - Cloud Version (NSW)
2) Rise of the Third Power (NSW)
3) Haiku, the Robot (NSW)
4) Fire Emblem Engage (NSW)
5) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA NSO)*
6) WareWare Inc. (GBA NSO)*
7) Panzer Dragoon Remake (NSW)*
8) Final Fantasy IX (NSW)*
9) UnMetal (NSW)
10) Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (NSW)
11) Octopath Traveler 2 (NSW)
12) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (NSW)
13) Citizen Sleeper : Purge (NSW)
14) Metroid Fusion (GBA NSO)*
15) The Red Strings Club (NSW)
16) Earthbound Beginnings (NES NSO)
17) Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (NSW)
18) Dungeon Encounters (NSW)
19) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)
20) Raptor Boyfriend: A High School Romance (NSW)
21) Picross S9 (NSW)
22) Persona 5 Royal (NSW)
23) Dragon Ball FighterZ (NSW - Game Trial NSO)
24) Brotato (NSW)
24) Voice of Cards: Beasts of Burden (NSW)
25) Unsighted (NSW)
26) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NSW)
27) Mercenaries Lament : Requiem of the Silver Wolf (NSW)
28) Vampire Survivors (NSW)
29) Sea of Stars (NSW)
30) ABZÛ (NSW)
31) Steins;Gate Elite (NSW)
32) Dorfromantik (NSW)
33) Diabolic (NSW)
34) Road 96 (NSW)
35) Knight vs. Giant: The Broken Excalibur (NSW)
36) Dredge (NSW)
37) Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk and Milk outside of bag of milk outside a bag of milk (NSW)
38) Super Kiwi 64 (NSW)
39) Super Mario Wonder (NSW)
40) Signalis (NSW)
41) Diablo II: Resurrected (NSW)
42) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (NSW)
43) Pikmin 4 (NSW)
44) Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (NSW)
45) Wavetale (NSW)
46) About An Elf (NSW)

47) Cocoon (NSW)

Puzzle games such as Cocoon are difficult for me to review. I generally don't enjoy the frustration of being stumped by a difficult puzzle. So I usually keep a guide open nearby, and try my best to solve everything legitimately. I had to refer to the guide several times with this one. The puzzles here are so clever, that it's a minor miracle I was able to get as many of them as I did. Every one that I did look up left me with a feeling of appreciation rather than frustration. Everything is so well thought out here. The simple controls and set up, complete lack of UI, and beautiful art combine to create something truly exceptional. If you dig environmental puzzles and are down for something different, I can't recommend this highly enough.

48) Omno (NSW)

Another short platform puzzler, Omno won my heart because of the vibes. The story here is relayed through a series of glyphs found throughout the game that explain that you are on a pilgrimage to the light. There are no enemies to fight here, it's just a nice slow-paced trek through some gorgeous environments. It's just nice to be in this world. Controls don't always feels super responsive, and you will die a lot to missed jumps due to this. However checkpoints are everywhere, and there is no punishment for death, just try again. It feels like a true labor of love for the developer, and I will always appreciate seeing someone's vision brought to life like this.

49) Unpacking (NSW)

I guess I would categorize this as point and click without the adventure part. Basically, you unpack the collected clutter from your life each time your character moves into a new place. You play as a woman starting with you presumably moving into your own room as a teen, and following several moves throughout her life. There is no dialog other than the caption she places in a book with pictures of each place you move into. As someone who has moved around a fair bit in my life, the true storytelling of this game lies in what moves with you and what you leave behind. My favorite example of this is a cup. Just a cup, a cute little thing with stars on it. It moves with you through a couple of moves as a staple of who this character is. Eventually, you unpack it to see it not only has a chip in it, it doesn't match any of the other dishes in your new place (you are moving in with someone else at this time). By the next move, that same cup is now packed in with the bathroom stuff as a holder for your toothbrushes. This kind of little storytelling feels very natural and resonates deeply with me. I certainly wasn't expecting this innocuous little game to impact me emotionally, but by the end I was feeling a little nostalgia for unpacking my own stuff.

20. Crusader Kings 3(PC)

I only played a little after it came out but I didn't have the time. However, now, after 150 hours the last couple weeks I think it's safe to say I've completed it. Crusader King's 3 is the sequel to a highly lauded game that put Paradox on the map. CK2 is probably the best Paradox game there is. So CK3 had and still has a lot to live up to. As someone with over 500 hours of gameplay in CK2, it has quite a bit to go. Base game CK3 does not touch the content of Ck2.

War play pretty much plays out the same for better or worse. Court dynamics is rather boring. I did not buy the overpriced Royal Court DLC. There are a lot of events in CK3 that are just taken from CK 2 with a few alterations and difference. There are new events as well. I can't really complain about this because CK2 was pretty deep. It's a great jumping off point and that's what CK3 feels like minus a lot of Ck2 DLC.

For me as a history buff Crusader King's offers me a sandbox to alternate history and commit to the most cooked ideas. As an a man of Irish heritage that means uniting all of Ireland and taking over all of the UK lol. Or instead of the Kingdom of Francia taking over Aquitaine, the latter takes over the former and Occitan culture rules the land. You can manipulate your way with complex marriages and murder plots to take over counties, duchies and even entire Kingdoms. For instance, as King of Ireland I was able to get my heir to become the heir of Kingdom of Francia. The timing worked out well, a couple sons had to die and boom, when my aging character died and I took over as my heir. I was King of Ireland and Francia with over 20k soldiers under my control.

Lastly, there is one more very important part of the game. Roleplay. Your characters will have an assortment of traits. They can be lazy, a drunkard, full of lust, brave, etc etc and you as the player can choose to roleplay the traits of your character. You can go from playing a genius leader who is diligent and just to a Craven drunkard who is afraid of their own shadow. You play how you want and ultimately that's the best part of Crusader Kings. The DLC is overpriced but the main game is solid. I will always recommend this series. If you are unsure about CK3, go get CK2 and see for yourself. It is free to play on steam. (9.0/10)

1. Death's Door
  2. Kirby's Dreamland
  3. Super Mario Land 2
  4. WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgames
  5. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  6. Metroid Prime: Remastered
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  10. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon
  11. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  12. Pikmin 1
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Pikmin 4
  15. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  16. Astro’s Playroom
  17. Jackbox Party Pack 10
  18. Sonic the Hedgehog
  19. Spider-Man 2
  20. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

21. Super Mario RPG (NS) - Despite being arguably the easiest game I’ve played since, well, the last Mario RPG I played this year, THE Super Mario RPG charmed me to no end. I was more than happy to play a lovingly, faithfully remade SNES game, as it turned out, and I was so content with the idea that I blazed through it in a handful of days. Honestly, I have no complaints! The updated graphics and OST helped make this an adventure worth reliving, and everything that wasn’t changed had good reason to remain unaltered. I would gladly take more of this, Nintendo!

Replay #13: Super Mario Bros. Wonder [Multiplayer] (Nintendo Switch)

Wait, already? Well, I had to play this with friends, too! I actually started this run before my single player run, but we finished it just last night. I've never found the NSMB games to be very fun multiplayer games unless you are playing with people with near identical skill levels. I always find myself pushing my friends through or accidentally getting in their way or rushing to not run the timer out and all that. But Wonder makes a few smart changes to improve on this. No timer means no rushing, a more Kirby-like collision system for multiple players means that nobody gets in the way of others, and having just one player control the camera makes it easier to pace things out. It still can be chaotic, and the game ended up as both easier and harder than in single player, but this, in conjunction with the excellent online mode, makes this one of the best multiplayer Super Mario experiences I've ever had.

Sonic symphony (it’s a game character so I’m counting it as a game): Holy fuck, holy fuck, holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck, HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK (that translates to a 20/10 in english)

27) Saints Row IV
28) To the Moon
29) Telling Lies

Currently playing Luigi's Mansion 3 but no way am I finishing that before the end of the year so 29 games is my final tally. Here they are ranked from least favourite to favourite (always like descending order as opposed to ascending order) and the games are ranked out of 20 because I went to a French school XD

29) Telling Lies - 14/20: The last game of the year I completed. I enjoyed it, the performances were good, the story was well done if a bit silly, but there were too many videos by the end and the endings were utterly bizarre and felt like advertisements
28) Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - 14.5/20: In many ways, this improved on previous lego star wars games with better combat, two ships to explore in the hub and tried to add some strategy elements. However, level design wasn't very good in places and the strategy levels got repetitive. Still enjoyed it.
27) Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 15/20: The Breath of the Wild connection did a lot of the heavy lifting, with fun combat and a good selection of characters, but the story went in a direction I didn't like at all and I realised Musou games aren't for me, I don't have the patience to learn every character's move set and mainly stuck with Link.
26) Limbo - 15/20: A fun and interesting experience, I like the open ended nature of the story and the puzzles and platforming was good, very unique.
25) Lord of the Rings: War in the North - 15/20: Was craving a lord of the rings game and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this despite the average reviews. It is low budget but even so, just getting to explore a part of middle earth, even if not great was lovely to see, I just hope we get the open world lord of the rings game I have always wanted at some point.
24) Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon - 15/20: A remake of the original FE and thus very important for the series. I enjoyed it, quite a bit simpler than other FE games and while nothing particularly stood out (aside from the amazing recruitment theme) I will always enjoy a FE game.
23) Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Take - 16/20: a 3D eshop exclusive, a delightful game, not very long and is told in a magic realist manner, where every Friday huge kaiju's and superheroes appear to fight.
22) Saints Row IV: Re-elected - 16/20: My first saints row game and loved the ludicrousness of it, not much more to it than that but the superpowers were great fun and having a cockney president of the USA, voiced by Robin Atkin Downes (Travis from No More Heroes and Miller from MGS) was fantastic.
21) Tokyo Jungle - 16/20: The strangest game I played, a futuristic survival game where you ply as various animals. I didn't unlock all the animals but the ones I did I really enjoyed playing as and the story mode was fun. Such a shame that this era of Sony no longer exists.
20) Far Cry 3 - 16/20: The game that was so praised that Ubisoft decided to use this template, for better or worse, in many of its games going forward. Vas is a great villain, the gameplay and island is really fun to explore. Don't think it is outstanding, but definitely had a great time.
19) Fable Anniversary - 16/20: Fable 2 will always be my favourite but wanted to go back and play Fable and while it is a little rough around the edges, holds up surprisingly well and is was a great foundation.
18) Inmost - 16/20: Quite short, very dark and sad, but ends on a hopeful note and has a great style and witches up from puzzler/platformer to an action platformer at points and has a horror vibe throughout.
17) Metroid Zero Mission - 16/20: This is going to be controversial as many hold this in high regard. I want to stress that I really enjoyed it, and it was my first experience with a Metroid game and definitely want to play the rest of the series, but nothing wowed me. Still a great game.
16) Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - 16.5/20: My first experience with Tomb Raider and if a little edgy, loved the Unchartedness of it and did not outstay its welcome.
15) Professor Layton & The Curious Village - 17/20: Utterly charming, from the characters to the puzzles, to the story, loved it!
14) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 17/20: My first Mario RPG and what a delight, the art-style and the attention to detail is fantastic and I love the gameplay, even if I could never quite nail the timing
13) Tales from the Borderlands - 17/20: Never played the Borderlands series as it never appealed but was pleasantly surprised by Telltale's take on it, the "gun fight" had me grinning throughout and I the humour generally landed. Excellent performances all round as well.
12) Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - 17/20: My first experience with Layton as a long time Ace Attorney fan and I loved the combination. Outlandish but always fun and seeing the two characters on screen together was excellent.
11) Spec Ops: The Line - 18/20: Not a first person shooter really (aside from Halo) but I loved this game, the story was fascinating and seeing the main character's descent into madness and refusing to acknowledge their part in the atrocities committed was done rather well.
10) A Short Hike - 18/20: A lovely experience that was touching and contemplative, lots of great distractions on your trip to the top of the mountain and then the glide down is a brilliant moment.
9) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - 18/20: Fantastic game from Ubisoft and really enjoyed the rabbids for the most part. Could be challenging in places and would force you to think, the Donkey Kong DLC was extremely well done as well.
8) Inside - 18/20: A big improvement over Limbo, not sure what is the meaning of the game but a brilliant artstyle, lots of tension and great puzzles make this a standout.
7) Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake - 18/20: LA on gameboy colour was the first Zelda game I ever played, but never got very far and eventually the battery problem arrived. With the remake, I made sure to rectify one of my gaming regrets and loved the unusualness of the game, one of the best in the series.
6) To the Moon - 18/20: Wow, what a story, utterly tragic but very hopeful, I am not an emotional person but this game moved me and made me reflect.
5) Professor Layton and Pandora's Box - 19/20: Improves on everything from the first layton game, brilliant!
4) Titanfall 2 - 19/20: What an inventive and innovative shooter, full of terrific moments that make you feel like a bad-arse and absolutely brilliant level design from start to finish, especially the time travel level
3) Monster Hunter Rise - 19/20: First Monster Hunter, played it with a friend on PC and I loved it, combat is very addictive and the Sunbreak expansion was excellent too. I am not a hardcore monster hunter fan, not interested in constantly fighting the same monsters and/or more difficult variations but had a superb time playing through it.
2) Dishonoured 2 - 20/20: Masterful, an immersive sim that gives you so many ways to tackle objectives and to explore, I really hope we get a 3rd game
1) Pyre - 20/20: The best game I played this year, the worldbuilding, the story, the characters all expertly woven and integrated alongside an addictive basketball type game. I liked Bastion & Transistor but this was on another level.

17. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3DS)

What's better than Kirby's Adventure? Kirby's Adventure in three-dee! No seriously, the 3D adds the perfect cherry on top to make this beautiful game even better. The way the foreground pops with the 3D on makes you think that's how the developers envisioned the game to look but just didn't have the available tech at the time. Also, no slow down! Highly recommend.
18. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (NSW)
A short sub 3-hour story mode on this fighting game. My partner is way more into Power Rangers so I was mostly just along for the ride. As a non-fan I thought the story was well paced and interesting enough to encourage me to get into Power Rangers lore now. As a fighter it leans into the easy to learn, hard to master approach. I dig that; there are no complex motions to input and yet the combo potential with each character is massive.

My tally for the year is 18 games. Here's the full list.

1. Robotics;Notes Elite (NSW)
2. Ristar (NSO)
3. Kirby Team Clash Deluxe (3DS)
4. Kung-Fu Heroes (NSO)
5. Kirby's Dream Land (NSO)
6. Severed (3DS)
7. Pilotwings (NSO)
8. Sonic Adventure (Steam)
9. Mario Kart 64 (NSO)
10. Sonic Frontiers (NSW)
11. Pokémon Picross (3DS)
12. City Connection (NSO)
13. Pokémon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (NSO)
14. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)
15. Blaster Master (NSO)
16. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (NSO)
17. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (3DS)
18. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid (NSW)

Last edited:
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
I should bust this out and get my nephew into Power Rangers lol

Speaking of my nephew, we played through Untitled Goose Game together. The game changes its title to Untitled Geese Game for coop mode, which wad amusing, to say the least. He spent the whole playthrough being an absolute menace to the townsfolk, I could not be more proud.

#01 Aladdin (SNES)
#02 Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES)
#03 Magical Pop'n (SNES)
#04 Bonkers (SNES)
#05 Portal (Switch)
#06 Star Fox (SNES)
#07 Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (Switch)
#08 Nintendoland (Wii U)
#09 Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii U)
#10 Mario Kart Super Circuit (NSO)
#11 Kuru Kuru Kururin (NSO)
#12 Super Mario Land 2 (NSO)
#13 Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgame$ (NSO)
#14 Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
#15 Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (NSO)
#16 Pokémon Snap (NSO)
#17 Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
#18 Kingdom Hearts (PS4)
#19 Advance Wars 1 Reboot Camp (Switch)
#20 Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda (Switch)
#21 The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
#22 Mario Party (NSO)
#23 Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
#24 Pikmin (Switch)
#25 Resident Evil Remake HD (PS4)
#26 Elechead (Switch)
#27 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass (Switch)
#28 Super Mario Bros Wonder (Switch)

#29 Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
#30 Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS)

Yoku is a wonderful game, so fun and unique. Never thought a pinball metroid-like would work but here we are. A new Metroid Pinball in this style would be a dream game.

I made a thread review of ACNL earlier this year and I haven't played at all since then, but because the game forces you to wait on real time for events to trigger, I only managed to remember to boot up and watch the credits today. AC is definitely not for me, New Horizons was neat with the crafting mechanics but NL was just... Nothing. Checking in everyday to read some new scripted phrases isn't appealing to me.

Finished my last game of the year, this was my first year really tracking everything using Backloggd. Total count for 2023 is 60 games. Overall amazing year for games, I definitely don't expect to finish nearly this many games next year as next year is looking lighter, a lot of my backlog is now cleared and I will hopefully be working a full time job.

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD (Finished January 12th)
2. Fire Emblem Engage (Finished January 25th)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 NG+ Replay w/ DLC (Finished January 28th)
4. GoldenEye 007 (Finished January 29th)
5. Hi-Fi Rush (Finished January 31st)
6. Pikmin 2 (Finished February 8th)
7. Kuru Kuru Kuruin (Finished February 9th)
8. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (Finished February 9th)
9. Tetris (Finished February 9th)
10. Game & Watch Gallery 3 (Finished February 9th)
11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Finished February 9th)
12. New Pokémon Snap (Finished February 10th)
13. WarioWare: Touched! (Finished February 10th)
14. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Finished February 24th)
15. Metroid Prime Remastered (Finished February 27th)
16. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Finished March 21st)
17. JellyCar Worlds (Finished March 21st)
18. Fire Emblem Engage: Fell Xenologue (Finished April 11th)
19. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (Finished April 26th)
20. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (Finished May 2nd)
21. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Finished May 17th)
22. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp (Finished May 28th)
23. We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie (Finished June 9th)
24 BattleBit Remastered (Finished June 26th)
25. Nier: Automata - Game of the Yorha Edition (Finished July 29th)
26. Pikmin 4 (Finished July 30th)
27. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (Finished August 27th)
28. Starfield (Finished September 3rd)
29. F-Zero 99 (Finished September 14th)
30. Counter-Strike 2 (Finished September 27th)
31. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Finished October 14th)
32. New Super Luigi U (Finished October 15th)
33. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Finished October 24th)
34. Super Mario Land (Finished October 25th)
35. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Finished October 25th)
36. Cities: Skylines II (Finished October 26th)
37. Pilotwings Resort (Finished October 29th)
38. Mario Kart 9 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass Final Wave (Finished November 8th)
39. Tetris DS (Finished November 9th)
40. Super Mario RPG (Finished November 16th)
41. Art Academy (Finished November 21st)
42. Picross DS (Finished November 21st)
43. Astro's Playroom (Finished November 24th)
44. Lethal Company (Finished November 26th)
45. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Finished November 27th)
46. WarioWare: Move It! (Finished December 1st)
47. LEGO Fortnite (Finished December 7th)
48. Hell Let Loose (Finished December 8th)
49. Final Fantasy XVI: Echoes of the Fallen (Finished December 14th)
50. Final Fantasy XVI (Finished December 14th)
51. Planet Puzzle League (Finished December 20th)
52. Picross 3D (Finished December 20th)
53. Clubhouse Games (Finished December 20th)
54. Cooking Mama (Finished December 20th)
55. Ape Escape (Finished December 26th)
56. Dr Mario Online Rx (Finished December 28th)
57. Excitebike: World Rally (Finished December 28th)
58. Wii Play Motion (Finished December 28th)
59. Wii Music (Finished December 29th)
60. WarioWare Smooth Moves (Finished December 30th)

PARAPPA THE RAPPA 2222222222222222:
Whats not to love, in this rapping game?
Plenty is new, but the good stuff is the same
Got some hot new moves
And the funky fresh grooves
With patty flipping action and hair cutting too
This games got it all for me and you
8/10, now I wanna redo my Parappa 1 review in this format

I should bust this out and get my nephew into Power Rangers lol
Oh heck yeah! From what I can tell it has characters from each era of Power Rangers, plus new characters new to the story from the game itself. It was a blast to play through and is a great intro point into the series to be honest.

PARAPPA THE RAPPA 2222222222222222:
Whats not to love, in this rapping game?
Plenty is new, but the good stuff is the same
Got some hot new moves
And the funky fresh grooves
With patty flipping action and hair cutting too
This games got it all for me and you
8/10, now I wanna redo my Parappa 1 review in this format
Ah, memories. I remember getting Parappa the Rappa 2 at Circuit City. Good times.

1. Metroid (NES) 1/5
  2. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) 6/5
  3. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) 2/5
  4. Vice: Project Doom (NES) 1/5
  5. Kid Icarus (NES) 1/5
  6. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) 3/5
  7. Super Mario Land 2 (GB) 4/5
  8. Kirby’s Dream Land (GB) 2/5
  9. Florence (Switch) 3/5
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX (GBC) 4/5
  11. Wario Land 3 (GBC) 4/5
  12. Ring Fit Adventure (2nd Campaign) (Switch) 4/5
  13. Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (SNES) 4/5
  14. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GBC) 2/5
  15. Sonic the Hedhehog 3 (Genesis) 3/5
  16. Mega Man 4 (NES) 3/5
  17. Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis) 5/5
  18. Deltarune Chapter 1 (Switch) 4/5
  19. Deltarune Chapter 2 (Switch) 4/5
  20. Yooka-Laylee (Switch) 3/5
  21. Sonic Frontiers (Switch) 3/5
  22. Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition (Switch) 5/5
  23. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch) 5/5
  24. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild The Champions’ Ballad (Switch) 5/5
  25. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS4) 4/5
  26. Mega Man 5 (NES) 2/5
  27. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch) 6/5
  28. Metroid Dread (Switch) 5/5
  29. Akumajo Densetsu (Famicom) 4/5
  30. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Funky Mode) (Switch) 5/5
  31. Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition (Vergil mode) (Switch) 5/5
  32. Demon Turf (Switch) 3/5
  33. Mega Man 6 (NES) 2/5
  34. Final Fantasy IX (PSX) 3/5
Currently playing TotK so I doubt I’ll finish that before end of the year.
35. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line (Switch) 5/5

Inasmuch as one can beat a rhythm game I guess. I saw credits so I’m counting it, even if I have intentions to continue playing.

Managed to finish 2 more games just in time

1. SAMURAI MAIDEN
2. Legend of Zelda
3. Mighty Gunvolt Burst
4. Funky Kong Country Tropical Freeze
5. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon: Nightmare mode.
6. Astalon
7. Fire Emblem Engage
8. Metroid Prime Remastered
9. Grim Guardians Demon Purge
10. Octopath Traveler 2
11. Atelier Ryza 3
12. Final Fantasy 1 PR
13. Final Fantasy 2 PR
14. Zelda TotK
15. Bat Boy
16. Super Alloy Ranger
17. Final Fantasy 5 PR.
18. Super Mario Bros Deluxe
19. Super Mario Brost Lost Levels
20. Super Mario Bros 2 US
21. Super Mario Bros 3
22 Super Mario World
23. Yoshi's Island
24. Super Mario Land
25. Super Mario Land 2
26. Dragon Marked for Death
27. Atelier Marie Remake
28. Raging Byte
29. This ways madness lies
30. Alice Escaped
31. Double Dragon Gaiden
32 Powerslave Exhumed
33. Curse Crackers
34. Retro Mistery Club vol 1
36. Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
37. Infinity Strash DQ
38. Silent Hope
39. Blasphemous 2
40. Super Mario Bros Wonder
41. Rivercity Rival Showdown
42. Rabi Ribi
43. Yohane the Parhelio Blaze in the Deep blue
44. Trigger Heart Excelica
45. 9 years of shadows
46. Tevi
47 Astlibra

48. Dragon Quest: A timeless classic. Still holds very well today.

49. Super Mario RPG: Very good remaster. The original game was already a masterpiece and the QoL and other features added made the game very good for replays. People really need to learn to appreciate short and easy rpgs

1) Hi-Fi Rush (XS) - 9/10
2) Vampire Survivors (XS) - 5/10
3) A Monster's Expedition (PS5) - 10/10
4) Titanfall 2 (XS) - 8/10
5) The Last of Us Part 1 Remake (PS5) - 10/10
6) Understand (PC) - 7/10
7) GNOG (PS5) - 5/10
8) Pokemon Shining Pearl (Switch) - 4/10
9) A Space for the Unbound (Switch) - 8/10
10) WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (Switch) - 7/10
11) Pokemon Stadium (Switch) - 6/10
12) Pokemon Crystal (3DS) - 7/10
13) Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka (PC) - 8/10
14) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - 10/10
15) Planet of Lana (XS) - 8/10
16) Humanity (PS5) - 10/10
17) Dordogne (XS) - 6/10
18) We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie (PS5) - 10/10
19) Pikmin (Switch) - 9/10
20) Pikmin 2 (Switch) - 7/10
21) Pikmin 3 (Switch) - 10/10
22) Hey! Pikmin (3DS) - 4/10
23) Pikmin 4 (Switch) - 9/10
24) Venba (XS) - 6/10
25) Patrick's Parabox (PS5) - 9/10
26) Tren (PS5) - 8/10
27) LOCK (PS5) - 7/10
28) Supraland: Six Inches Under (XS) - 6/10
29) Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS5) - 9/10
30) Casual Birder (Playdate) - 7/10
31) Whitewater Wipeout (Playdate) - 6/10
32) Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5) - 6/10
33) Boogie Loops (Playdate) - 1/10
34) Lost Your Marbles (Playdate) - 6/10
35) The Looker (PC) - 6/10
36) F-Zero 99 (Switch) - 7/10
37) Pick Pack Pup (Playdate) - 8/10
38) Flipper Lifter (Playdate) - 4/10
39) Echoic Memory (Playdate) - 3/10
40) Cocoon (XS) - 8/10
41) Omaze (Playdate) - 7/10
42) Demon Quest '85 (Playdate) - 7/10
43) Hyper Meteor (Playdate) - 5/10
44) Zipper (Playdate) - 4/10
45) Executive Golf DX (Playdate) - 2/10
46) The Excavation of Hob's Barrow (Switch) - 8/10
47) Afterdream (Switch) - 6/10
48) Chants of Sennaar (PS5) - 10/10
49) Jusant (XS) - 6/10
50) Dropsy (Switch) - 9/10
51) Saltsea Chronicles (PS5) - 9/10
52) Alan Wake (Steam Deck) - 8/10
53) Smushi Come Home (Steam Deck) - 8/10
54) Alan Wake's American Nightmare (Steam Deck) - 4/10

A handful of late entries. Pretty much done for the year now, 57 completions is neat I think, especially as there wasn't really an attempt being made to clear anything down, just play the stuff I liked the look of. I do have around 20 or so older games I've picked out that I want to play next year so we'll see how that goes!

55) Max Payne (PS2) - 9/10
A replay as I'm going through Remedy's back catalogue before Alan Wake 2, and also after James McCaffrey died earlier in the month. Pleased to say I still had a great time with it (yes, even those sections) and bullet time never really gets old.

56) Polimines (PC) - 5/10
Kind of a cross between Picross and Minesweeper - the two mechanics fit together quite nicely although they aren't really explored that much. Ends up being a bit short and hampered by some UI issues. These do looks to have been addressed a little for the sequel so will give that a whirl next year

57) Please, Touch the Artwork! (Switch) - 8/10
Very chill puzzle game - used modern abstract art well as its 'setting' for two of the three puzzle types, along with a little light-hearted humour. Wasn't enamored by the third more zen (and serious) maze-like style but didn't hamper my experience too much.

26 games is probably my tally for the year. I'm 7 hours into Mario RPG but not sure if I feel like putting the time into finishing it today.

1. Nier Automata (Switch)
2. Lunistice (Switch)
3. Super Mario Land 2 (NSO)
4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
5. Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
6. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch)
7. The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap (NSO)
8. Wario Land 3 (NSO)
9. A Space for the Unbound (Switch)
10. Kirby's Dream Land (NSO)
11. Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot Camp (Switch)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
13. Final Fantasy (Pixel Remaster, Switch)
14. Goldeneye (NSO)
15. Oxenfree II Lost Signals (Switch)
16. Pikmin 4 (Switch)
17. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (NSO)
18. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (Switch)
19. Telltale's The Expanse (Xbox Series S)
20. Sea of Stars (Switch)
21. PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo (Switch)
22. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
23. Starfield (Xbox Series S)
24. Cocoon (Xbox Series S)
25. Octopath Traveler II (Switch)
26. Jusant (Xbox Series S)

I gave it a solid effort this weekend, but I don’t think I’ll be able to finish another game before midnight tonight. But that’s ok! I finished forty-one games this year, which is definitely a record for me. I’ve played more games this year than I ever have before! And I managed to do it in a year where my wife and I had our second child, too. It’s a miracle I’ve been able to find whatever meager time for games that I have. I’m grateful for all these new handheld devices that have made it possible - the Logitech G Cloud for remote play, the Miyoo Mini Plus and Odin 2 for retro games, and the good ol’ fashioned Switch of course!

1) Super Metroid (SNES)
2) Metroid Fusion (GBA)
3) Metroid Dread (NSW)
4) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
5) MX vs ATV Legends (XSS)
6) Kuru Kuru Kuruin (GBA)
7) Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW)
8) HiFi Rush (XSS)
9) Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion (NSW)
10) Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)
11) Sonic Spinball (Genesis)
12) Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
13) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
14) Sonic CD (Sega CD)
15) Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5)
16) Donald Duck Advance (GBA)
17) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
18) Stunt Race FX (SNES)
19) Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
20) Super Mario RPG (SNES)
21) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time (SNES)
22) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
23) Tearaway (PSV)
24) Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure (GBA)
25) Gundam Battle Assault (PS1)
26) Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
27) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder’s Revenge (XSS)
28) Asura’s Wrath (X360)
29) Ridge Racer (PS1)
30) Gravity Rush (PSV)
31) Ninpen Manmaru (Saturn)
32) Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
33) Final Fantasy VII Remake INTERmission DLC (PS5)
34) En Garde! (PC)
35) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)
36) BIT.TRIP RERUNNER (PC)
37) WarioWare Twisted! (GBA)
38) Sonic Dream Team (iOS)
39) Final Fantasy XVI Echoes of the Fallen DLC (PS5)
40) Electroplankton (NDS)
41) Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

Shoutout to @meatbag for hosting the thread. I can’t wait for next year’s thread!

I’ve played more games this year than I ever have before!
This is always awesome to hear.

On that note, 2024 is about to dawn for me, and I might already be a smidge tipsy, so I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you fellow backlog warriors for participating in this thread! Always great to see what other people are playing/finishing, and it inspires me to push through and whittle away at my library. Hope everyone found this a nice spot to gather their thoughts, and perhaps use this thread in the future as a way to reminisce about our hobby.

Onwards to the new year! Happy 2024, everyone!

Is there going to be a 2024 thread? I was thinking of starting up my Backloggery again but this seems a bit more comfy.

21 games in total. Over 950 hours. I started participating in the 2022 edition of this thread and it has been a constant motivation for me put a dent in my backlog. Even though I continued to expand my collection, I've managed to play and experience so many games. Plus there is the immense satisfaction of removing the game cart from the Switch and storing them in the 'completed' pile.

Thank you Famiboards for keeping this hobby I picked up during covid alive.

p.s. Will the personal 2023 year in review be this thread as well?
p.p.s. I am about 5 hours into Super Mario RPG. I love how breezy it is so far. Very unlike the other massive JRPGs I've played this year and really a breath of fresh air. I miss Mario and Luigi RPG.

Last edited:
Is it okay if I link my GG App reviews in this thread that I fill out after beating these?

1) Kirby Dreamland 3.5

2) Knights of the Round 2.5/5

3) Marvel Snap 4/5
I can't really conceive how to review this, but my addiction to this gameplay loop was high and needed to delete it off my devices to remain a productive member of society. The best compliment I can give.

4) Streets of Rage 2 4/5

5) Sonic 2 4.5/5

6) Limbo 4/5

7) King of Fighters : Mark of the Wolves 4/5
I decided to do the story stuff with like with all the characters. This is just so fun, I don't have the skill to really read the movements, but damn Kushnood is my GUY.

8) Final Fantasy V 4/5

9) Dragon Quest 1 - 3/5
Brisk fun game, I can see why people replay this all the time.

10) Control - 5/5

11) Horizon Zero Dawn - 3.5/5

12) Fire Emblem Blazing Blade - 4.5/5

Beating this game brought tears. I have a lot of nostalgia for this game but couldn't beat it back then. Finishing this for the first time was euphoric. I am certain I will feel the same way when Sacred Stones hits NSO. FE means a lot to me.

13) The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa 4.5/5

14) Triangle Strategy - 4.5/5

I won't be surprised as I mull over these last 3 games, that one of them might waltz into my top 15. These have been 3 sensation games back to back.

15) Mass Effect 1 (From the Legendary Edition) - 4/5

As my first real WRPG experience, I had fun. It was very different and awkward to get into. But once I did, I really dug it. It being about 20 hours is perfect, it feels like it is in that Chrono Trigger type pacing.

16) Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition 4.5/5

My Review

17) Panzer Dragoon Remake - 2/5

My Review

Beating 17 games in 1 year is a big win for me overall. I wanted to fit in one more, but I can't complain.

Okay, two final additions to the list. I made it to 30!

1. Persona 5 Royal
2. Metroid Prime Remastered
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
8. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
9. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
10. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
11. Donkey Kong Country (NSO)
12. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
13. Loopers
14. The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
19. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
20. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Paper Mario
23. Contra
24. Super Contra
25. World End Syndrome
26. Operation C
27. Infernax
28. Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

29. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond

There's plenty to do in the post-game, but I am recording this here since I just beat the Pokemon League. I thought it was a solid remake! It was a breeze for the most part, but the entire Pokemon League was an unexpected challenge. The Elite Four and champion actually had solid strategies that I wasn't used to seeing in old Pokemon games, and they had good counters whenever I had a clear type advantage. It made me get a bit more creative with TMs and giving some of my group moves I didn't think they would need. This was the "newest" Pokemon game I had played since Sword/Shield (which I wasn't a huge fan of), and it showed me I can still have fun with this series.

30. Witch on the Holy Night

This is a Type Moon visual novel written by Kinoko Nasu, who is famous for other works like the Fate series and Tsukihime. I enjoyed the characters, story, and soundtrack, even though explanations of magic could get a bit complicated at times.

I finished at least 20 games last year and made it to 30 in 2023. I don't think 40 is going to happen in 2024, but I hope to beat my record again. Happy New Year, and see you all in the 2024 thread!

Given how late in the day it is, I think I can call it for 2023. Here's the list:
Finished in 2023
  1. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)
  2. Spark the Electric Jester (PC)
  3. Unpacking (Nintendo Switch)
  4. Wonder Boy (Arcade)
  5. Game & Watch Gallery 3 (Game Boy Color - NSO)
  6. Wonder Boy: Monster Land (Arcade)
  7. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (Arcade)
  8. Pokémon Emerald Rogue (GBA Hack)
  9. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA - NSO)
  10. Pulseman (Sega Genesis - NSO)
  11. Picross S7 (Nintendo Switch)
  12. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars - NSO)
  13. Super Mario Bros. 2 (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars - NSO)
  14. Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars - NSO)
  15. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES - NSO)
  16. Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (GBA - NSO)
  17. Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo Switch)
  18. Venba (Nintendo Switch)
  19. Sonic Superstars (Nintendo Switch)
  20. Pokemon Scarlet: The Teal Mask (Nintendo Switch)
  21. Super Mario RPG (Nintendo Switch)
  22. Picross S8 (Nintendo Switch)
Replays
  1. Mega Man V (Game Boy)
  2. Heart Star (PC)
  3. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (GBA - NSO)
  4. Super Mario Bros. (NES - Game & Watch Super Mario Bros.)
  5. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA - NSO)
  6. Super Mario Bros. (SNES - Super Mario All-Stars - NSO)
  7. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
  8. Super Mario World (SNES - NSO)
  9. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Game Boy - NSO)
  10. Super Mario Advance (GBA - NSO)
  11. Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (GBA - NSO)
  12. Sonic Mania (Nintendo Switch)
  13. Super Mario Bros. Wonder [Multiplayer] (Nintendo Switch)
Started Before 2023, Beat in 2023
  1. Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
  2. Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition (Nintendo Switch)
Ended up being more of an old game replay year than I initially expected, largely on the back of the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event. There are multiple games I played through more than once! And that left a few specific games neglected. Zelda and Pikmin 4 are still unfinished, and I still have lots to look forward to next year. I'm gonna be a little more ambitious with my backlog next year...but I'll save those plans for the next thread!

Making the 56th and final game of the year another replay, namely The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. The 7th Zelda game I've finished this year, for good luck, of course. Quickly penning some thoughts before we head into the new year.

I haven't really made it a secret that I don't like Wind Waker all that much but I'll start with some positives. Right out of the gate the game leaves the strongest impression out of the three "middle" entries consisting of WW, TP and SS. Toon Link is endlessly charming, Tetra is great, the narrative hook is strong, emotional and personal. Making Link set out on his journey because of personal stakes that seamlessly lead into the larger adventure was a great choice. Graphically and in terms of vibes it has also aged the best. Everything on the Great Sea is exaggerated and super expressive which makes it a joy to look at.

So after a great start with a small dungeon-like area in the Forsaken Fortress and the Ganondorf "tease" I’m at Windfall Island, get the sail, head out to Dragon Roost Island with an all-time theme… and the game kind of falls apart here. Forsaken Fortress already kind of works like an introductory dungeon. But then you have another straightforward dungeon in Dragon Roost Cavern and one in the Lost Woods. A third one for the final pearl is blatantly missing. At least there’s two pretty good ones with the new sages before we go back to the tedium of the Triforce hunt. The final fight is at least cool even though they suddenly do an 180 Ganondorf’s depiction lol.

Biggest negative surprise was how unremarkable most of the soundtrack is. There’s some good tunes for sure but most of the dungeon themes and the music accompanying the cutscenes fall super flat.

I’d have had a lot more but running out of time here. See you next year.

1. Dark Souls III
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  6. Metroid Prime Remastered
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Dream Land
  9. WarioWare, Inc. Mega Microgames!
  10. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  11. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  12. Nintendo Switch Sports
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Linked Game)
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Project Restoration)
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  17. The Room
  18. The Room Two
  19. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  20. Dredge
  21. Storyteller
  22. Luna's Fishing Garden
  23. Nuclear Blaze
  24. The Room Three
  25. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
  26. Spaceplan
  27. The Gardens Between
  28. Pikmin 4
  29. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  30. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
  31. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  32. Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
  33. Judgment
  34. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
  35. Pokémon Crystal Legacy
  36. Kaze and the Wild Masks
  37. Drainus
  38. En Garde!
  39. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  40. Lunacid
  41. Resident Evil Village
  42. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose
  43. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  44. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero + End of Zoe
  45. Gunbrella
  46. High Hell
  47. Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion Remastered
  48. Mafia: Definitive Edition
  49. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  50. Cocoon
  51. Spark the Electric Jester 3
  52. Jack Move
  53. Super Mario RPG (Switch remake)
  54. Sea of Stars
  55. Chants of Sennaar
  56. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Five games total, all first times. 😂

1. Deep Rock Galactic (PC)
2. Returnal (PC)
3. Lake Haven Chrysalis (PC)
4. SIGNALIS (PC)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (SW)

I’ve often said Tears of the Kingdom was an easy personal GOTY without real competition, but I forgot I played Returnal. :LOL: Let’s just say they do two very different things extremely well and I appreciate what both offer. Actually, every game I played this year was AN ABSOLUTE BANGER, 10/10s for all different reasons.

On to 2024, ever upward!

I finished 60 games this year, 30 2023 games and 30 old games. I can’t believe 23 of them (counting the Like A Dragons) were RPGs! Might be a record for me there.

2023 Games I Beat (30)

Forspoken (Platinum)
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
Metroid Prime Remastered (100%)
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe
Magolor Epilogue (100%)
Trails To Azure Switch
Bayonetta Origins
Like A Dragon: Ishin!
Advance Wars (Reboot Camp)
Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed
Advance Wars 2 (Replay / RC)
The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
We Love Katamari Reroll
Final Fantasy XVI
Trails Into Reverie
Pikmin 4 (100%)
This Way Madness Lies
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code
The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails
Super Mario Bros Wonder (100%)
Spider-Man 2 (Platinum)
Alan Wake II (Platinum)
WarioWare Move It!
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe BCP Waves 4-6
Like A Dragon Gaiden (Platinum)
Yohane Blaze In The Deepblue (100%)
Super Mario RPG Switch
F-Zero 99
Pokemon Violet The Teal Mask
Tevi

Old Games I Beat In 2023 (30)

Mario Super Picross (100%)
Samurai Maiden
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Earthbound Beginnings
Earthbound
Donkey Kong NES + Arcade Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem GBA
Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Golden Sun
Golden Sun The Lost Age
F-Zero GP Legend
Zero Wing
Earth Defense Force 5
Mario and Luigi Super Star Saga (Replay)
Mario Golf
The Mysterious Murasame Castle
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Replay)
Motor Raid (Replay)
Fighting Vipers 2
Donkey Kong 64 (101%)
Wario World (100% Replay)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II (Replay)
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour (Replay)
F-Zero GX (Replay)
Kirby’s Air Ride (Replay)
Zelda Four Swords Adventures (Replay)