• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

quite excited for this one, looks really fun.

This also reminds me i need to finish Cold Steel IV before Reverie drops...i've been trying to muster the will for a year, but i think i might be severely burned out on Trails.

This looks a lot closer to Ys than Trails which is fine by me. That assistant character though, not sure I want them following me around all game.

quite excited for this one, looks really fun.

This also reminds me i need to finish Cold Steel IV before Reverie drops...i've been trying to muster the will for a year, but i think i might be severely burned out on Trails.

Excited for Nayuta! Before the port got announced years ago now, I always thought it’d be one of those games I’d never get to play. I knew it was Ys-like, but didn’t know how close. Gameplay looks intriguing from the trailer.

Don’t know the performance differences for which platform to pick up and I’m torn if I want the LE or not given it’s a spinoff, but I think I should be good to think about it for the weekend at least.

Ok, time to cry about a Final Fantasy X boss...

Yunalesca.....

Ok so the first round isn't too bad. Throw some hits. Have the right protection for the comeback hits. No biggie.

Second round is where it gets frustrating. That damn tentacle hit gives everyone Zombie. Now I can keep using holy water or remedy but she uses the same attack again and I'm barely getting anywhere. If I leave the zombie up, I just get hit with healing spells from the boss and that kills me. Eventually I am able to chizzle away, but by the end of the third everyone's mp is running dry. I have 99 phoenix downs but those will whittle away. I crawl to the third phase which is more of the same and eventually it is good night Josh. And those aeons I use are basically boom or bust because of that absorb move.

UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Can't wait to try again tomorrow!

Edit: Not to mention I threw big resources into getting Ultima and that is only worth a few thousand hp per use!

Yunalesca.....

Ok so the first round isn't too bad. Throw some hits. Have the right protection for the comeback hits. No biggie.

Second round is where it gets frustrating. That damn tentacle hit gives everyone Zombie. Now I can keep using holy water or remedy but she uses the same attack again and I'm barely getting anywhere. If I leave the zombie up, I just get hit with healing spells from the boss and that kills me. Eventually I am able to chizzle away, but by the end of the third everyone's mp is running dry. I have 99 phoenix downs but those will whittle away. I crawl to the third phase which is more of the same and eventually it is good night Josh. And those aeons I use are basically boom or bust because of that absorb move.

Edit: Not to mention I threw big resources into getting Ultima and that is only worth a few thousand hp per use!
That’s a tough boss. It’s been well over a decade since I last played so I don’t remember exactly what to do there, but from what I remember of FFX playing around with your status effects like reflect is crucial. I think the last couple including that one are kind of puzzle-y in that regard which you don’t really see too often in Final Fantasy.

Yunalesca.....

She's tough, but Yunalesca is one of my favorite bosses in the entire series due to clever mechanic use, design, story impact (Auron's speech beforehand!), and how it messes with your strategy and game plan. She casts zombie? Better heal it! ... oh wait. You've relied on aeons a lot up to this point? Well, shit.

My advice:

Don't cure zombie. Just revive people if they die, but leave people with zombie, because in phase 3 megadeath will kill everyone unless they're zombie'd, so you want to have most or all people with that status.

If you have Holy, it does great damage to her.

Basically you want to chip away at her first two forms, then when she gets to phase 3 you want to unload and kill her as quickly as possible. Beat her down until you can finish her off with a Grand Summon Bahamut Megaflare, since aeons are otherwise not really worth using.

Wanted to do a quick Fire Emblem post. I’ve been making excellent progress in the Sacred Stones. The small quality of life bumps help a lot in helping me more confidently push forward. I’m reloading far less here than I was in the prior game. I think the game is a bit easier since I barely only played two extra maps so far despite grinding being available and I’m also just generally getting better at the game/series. I’m having a good time here. While I would say thus far anyway the story is a bit weaker sadly, there are some entertaining villains that have kept my interest. I’m more excited to take on the wyvern rider in particular than I ever was with Nergal (provided a weird swerve doesn’t happen).

I have eight maps left so I’m rapidly closing in on the end. I did pick Eirika and did make a save at the path split, but I’m feeling good I’ll probably be satisfied and done for now when credits roll.

Having a think about what to play next after Octopath 2, which I thought was absolutely fantastic.

Torn between a metroidvania as a palate cleanser or something from my rpg backlog:
Chained Echoes
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Disco Elysium
FFXII: Zodiac Age
Nier Automata
Trails from Zero
DQ Builders 2
Rise of the Third Power

Having a think about what to play next after Octopath 2, which I thought was absolutely fantastic.

Torn between a metroidvania as a palate cleanser or something from my rpg backlog:
Chained Echoes
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Disco Elysium
Nier Automata
Trails from Zero
DQ Builders 2
Rise of the Third Power
Going to suggest Trails From Zero so you can join us in the Zero and soon to be Azure threads sooner than later :)

I haven’t played the Zodiac Age version, but I enjoyed FFXII a ton. Nier Automata is an excellent choice if you want a genre shake up. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fun too, I like it more than the Persona games personally.

Now think about it, there is not a thread for the four job fiesta of Dragon Quest 3 right?

If someone is familiar with the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta it's similar, though in DQ3 you only have three party members beside the Hero, and the rule in the fiesta is to keep the party composition, so you can use the Alltrade Abbey vocation change function while you don't break the rule.

20230311-194034.jpg

For example, I got mage, martial artist and merchant, I think it's a solid party and likely I will swap the vocations of my mage and merchant to maximize my damage output/more buff options. Not sure if I want change the vocation for my martial artist imho

Chained Echoes
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Disco Elysium
Nier Automata
Trails from Zero
DQ Builders 2
Rise of the Third Power
My picks would be:

• Chained Echoes is fantastic, but maybe a touch too similar to Octopath 2 given that's what you just played?
  • FF12:ZA is a massive improvement over the original and one of my favorites, well worth playing and it holds up amazingly well. Looks and sounds fantastic in the ZA version.
  • Trails from Zero is also a turn-based RPG but it's quite a bit different from the others as it's focused on a modern-day-tech city and has its own feel to it. It's more about getting to know one large city and its inhabitants really, really well and less about traveling around as much as a lot of other RPGs. Plus if you love it, the sequel is out this week, too!

Now think about it, there is not a thread for the four job fiesta of Dragon Quest 3 right?

If someone is familiar with the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta it's similar, though in DQ3 you only have three party members beside the Hero, and the rule in the fiesta is to keep the party composition, so you can use the Alltrade Abbey vocation change function while you don't break the rule.

20230311-194034.jpg

For example, I got mage, martial artist and merchant, I think it's a solid party and likely I will swap the vocations of my mage and merchant to maximize my damage output/more buff options. Not sure if I want change the vocation for my martial artist imho

Damn just when I'm finishing another gameplay

well that’s Saizo’s floor 3 and the Ozaki Hope towers finished. Got one day left but nothing on the agenda so we’ll see what happens. Bout ready to call it a night after I go back for briefing at the safe house. Soul hackers 2 progress

Going to suggest Trails From Zero so you can join us in the Zero and soon to be Azure threads sooner than later :)

I haven’t played the Zodiac Age version, but I enjoyed FFXII a ton. Nier Automata is an excellent choice if you want a genre shake up. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is fun too, I like it more than the Persona games personally.

My picks would be:

• Chained Echoes is fantastic, but maybe a touch too similar to Octopath 2 given that's what you just played?
  • FF12:ZA is a massive improvement over the original and one of my favorites, well worth playing and it holds up amazingly well. Looks and sounds fantastic in the ZA version.
  • Trails from Zero is also a turn-based RPG but it's quite a bit different from the others as it's focused on a modern-day-tech city and has its own feel to it. It's more about getting to know one large city and its inhabitants really, really well and less about traveling around as much as a lot of other RPGs. Plus if you love it, the sequel is out this week, too!
Thanks for the recommendations!

I think this is the first time the guy behind the 4FJ do this for Dragon Quest. It would be nice if next year is repeated but now with the option to play the HD2D remake.
You know what, gonna take it, it's going to be difficult to manage both Octopath and DQ3 but it's nice to have this

Looking it up, I very vaguely remember seeing something about it. Apparently it’s a roguelike RPG?I have no idea how good it is, you’ll have to say how you like it!

… but seriously what the hell is up with that title
Sorry, I haven't been able to play anything else than Ishin, so I haven't tried that other game yet :😜

Finished the pyramid part of Dragon Quest III. Honestly this part is more question to bring medical items, and theya re so cheap in this game lol I got 10K of money just playing this, perfect to invest in the bank upgrade my weapons and armor when I need it.

Finished the pyramid part of Dragon Quest III. Honestly this part is more question to bring medical items, and theya re so cheap in this game lol I got 10K of money just playing this, perfect to invest in the bank upgrade my weapons and armor when I need it.
Yeah, I did a run last year without any priest in the initial party and having the bag and cheap herbs pretty much compensate for its, and it really last untill Dharma / All trades since it cure the same the heal spell (and you still have the hero to cast it if needed)

I'm finally almost done with FE Engage!

Just got the final boss left to do, and I'm keeping some paralogues and support talks for another time once the story dlc comes out!

It's also the first time I probably spent almost 95+ hours on a game with 1 storyline! That's crazy!
Probably because I went for Hard mode with no deaths as a rule even though I'm playing on casual mode. XD

It made me realize I might have missed out on the optimal fun experience (for me) by playing on normal modes on older games as Awakening/Fates/Echoes/3H.

But then I remember I picked Hard for the first time BECAUSE the Engage gimmick made it worth trying out, so yeah.. idk where I am going with this. XD

Anyways, 3H was my fav FE game, till Engage came out. It really feels like a celebration of the franchise as a whole and I enjoyed every part of it!
Just seeing the older characters and seeing them interact with the new cast.. I LOVE IT.

Well fell just short of my Soul Hackers 2 blitz attempt. Made what I assume is the final dungeon 24th municipal ward tower at about 41 hrs in. But now I need to call it a night and my GPU sub is up tomorrow but I won’t have time to play. Shrug oh well that’s how it rolls. Had a great time tho. Think I’ll focus on FFVIII next. Or Ryza

20230312-232008.jpg

I forgot you gain more experience the less members are active in your party lol I think I will keep my merchant dead until I find the game difficult. She is level 18 already (the rest are 16 and 17) and right now I find more important level up my martial artist and mage, the former to increse her ratio of critical attacks and the latter to gain more spells before she change of vocation. Maybe at some point I will keep my hero dead too lol

I just posted my Trails to Azure ST! It's my third ST on Fami, but my first single game ST which is exciting!

The game comes out tomorrow, but NISA often ships copies early. Mine is already on the way with the 1,000 piece Azure puzzle I ordered so discussion might kick off later today! If you're playing Azure, make sure to join in!

I just posted my Trails to Azure ST! It's my third ST on Fami, but my first single game ST which is exciting!

The game comes out tomorrow, but NISA often ships copies early. Mine is already on the way with the 1,000 piece Azure puzzle I ordered so discussion might kick off later today! If you're playing Azure, make sure to join in!

Nice work on the OT! I’m still thinking of which rpg to play next and I’m leaning towards Zero. I’ve played Trails in the Sky 1/2 which I loved and Cold Steel 1/2, but the latter really turned me off the series. Still, zero looks a lot more like Sky, I’ve been waiting to play it for a while.

Nice work on the OT! I’m still thinking of which rpg to play next and I’m leaning towards Zero. I’ve played Trails in the Sky 1/2 which I loved and Cold Steel 1/2, but the latter really turned me off the series. Still, zero looks a lot more like Sky, I’ve been waiting to play it for a while.
Thank you! Yeah Zero and Azure are generally way more Sky than Cold Steel. Azure is for better and for worse though clearly the game right before Cold Steel on certain fronts.

About two weeks ago I finished Persona 5 Royal for the first time. I'm working on my LttP for that. I had played the original Persona 5 back when it came out, but this PC release was my first time playing Royal. For those that remember my LttP threads from the other place, it will be in that style. I need to inquire if it's against the rules to post it both there and here though.

I currently went back to my playthrough of the PSP version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I'd played the PS1 version before, but last year, the PSP version had a fan translation patch released. The PSP version has some extras, such as a special Tatsuya scenario and some quality of life changes, as well as the UI. For those that haven't heard it from me already, Eternal Punishment is my absolute favorite Persona game and is S-tier MegaTen to me. Innocent Sin's biggest problem was it's difficulty being stupidly easy, on top of negotiation being overly complicated, making it difficult to get cards and new Personas. It hardly mattered though because you could get through most of the game with the starter Personas. Eternal Punishment has this weird reputation of being difficult, when it really isn't. It just requires you to pay attention and go get the Personas you need for the situation you're struggling in. Sometimes those Personas may not be ones that are up to the level your party members are. For instance I have one that's almost 20 levels below my party's average level that I keep around just because it has Trafuri and Estoma, and isn't incredibly expensive to maintain.

Bosses have many interesting gimmicks. For instance there's one where it's a guy and his group of "SAT" (more like SWAT team) dudes, and all of them have sleep skills. Ideally, you want to bring at least one character that is resistant to sleep, but otherwise you might think the answer would be to just cure the sleep, right? Nope! If you try to do that, you'll soon realize it's unsustainable and you'll never get any damage in. You can't rely on fusion spells here either since your party will constantly be put to sleep, so you need to have some characters at least with individually powerful AoE magic to take out the "SAT" dudes first, and then the main guy is pretty easy from there. I know there's a particular one in the late game that has a gimmick where he heals 400+ HP automatically every turn, and that's not even his action. You have to just constantly be putting out Fusion Spell damage. Eternal Punishment is not a hard game, it's just one that requires your attention.

I will say the game does have some cryptic things, such as there's at least one Persona I know of that the game actually does not give a hint ANYWHERE that the method to get it exists. In Double Slash, there's a girl that will tell your Wang Long fortune if you tell her your birth month, but the method to tell her your birth month is a free text field. You tell her "HASTURCOMEFORTH" and back at Maya's office, there will be a package with a material card in it. Oddly enough, Hastur is a Persona that actually only appeared in two games: This one....and Persona 5 Royal!

For all those cryptic things though, there's stuff that feels like it might be cryptic, but really is there if you look for it. For example, in a dungeon early on, there's lots of spots of goop on the floor that damage you if you walk over it. Some of it is blocking certain paths. A rumor you can get is that a demon that appears in the dungeon is a clean freak. You learn that rumor, talk to that demon, and then she cleans the goop off the floor for you! Another example is there's a dungeon where you need a key to progress, but you don't see an immediate way to get it. Start talking to demons though and you'll learn that Rasputin has the key! Talk to Rasputin, get the key!

Anyway I could talk about Eternal Punishment all day and how genius this game is. You should play Innocent Sin first, but you're in for a treat once you get here. #PlayPersona2

About two weeks ago I finished Persona 5 Royal for the first time. I'm working on my LttP for that. I had played the original Persona 5 back when it came out, but this PC release was my first time playing Royal. For those that remember my LttP threads from the other place, it will be in that style. I need to inquire if it's against the rules to post it both there and here though.

I currently went back to my playthrough of the PSP version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I'd played the PS1 version before, but last year, the PSP version had a fan translation patch released. The PSP version has some extras, such as a special Tatsuya scenario and some quality of life changes, as well as the UI. For those that haven't heard it from me already, Eternal Punishment is my absolute favorite Persona game and is S-tier MegaTen to me. Innocent Sin's biggest problem was it's difficulty being stupidly easy, on top of negotiation being overly complicated, making it difficult to get cards and new Personas. It hardly mattered though because you could get through most of the game with the starter Personas. Eternal Punishment has this weird reputation of being difficult, when it really isn't. It just requires you to pay attention and go get the Personas you need for the situation you're struggling in. Sometimes those Personas may not be ones that are up to the level your party members are. For instance I have one that's almost 20 levels below my party's average level that I keep around just because it has Trafuri and Estoma, and isn't incredibly expensive to maintain.

Bosses have many interesting gimmicks. For instance there's one where it's a guy and his group of "SAT" (more like SWAT team) dudes, and all of them have sleep skills. Ideally, you want to bring at least one character that is resistant to sleep, but otherwise you might think the answer would be to just cure the sleep, right? Nope! If you try to do that, you'll soon realize it's unsustainable and you'll never get any damage in. You can't rely on fusion spells here either since your party will constantly be put to sleep, so you need to have some characters at least with individually powerful AoE magic to take out the "SAT" dudes first, and then the main guy is pretty easy from there. I know there's a particular one in the late game that has a gimmick where he heals 400+ HP automatically every turn, and that's not even his action. You have to just constantly be putting out Fusion Spell damage. Eternal Punishment is not a hard game, it's just one that requires your attention.

I will say the game does have some cryptic things, such as there's at least one Persona I know of that the game actually does not give a hint ANYWHERE that the method to get it exists. In Double Slash, there's a girl that will tell your Wang Long fortune if you tell her your birth month, but the method to tell her your birth month is a free text field. You tell her "HASTURCOMEFORTH" and back at Maya's office, there will be a package with a material card in it. Oddly enough, Hastur is a Persona that actually only appeared in two games: This one....and Persona 5 Royal!

For all those cryptic things though, there's stuff that feels like it might be cryptic, but really is there if you look for it. For example, in a dungeon early on, there's lots of spots of goop on the floor that damage you if you walk over it. Some of it is blocking certain paths. A rumor you can get is that a demon that appears in the dungeon is a clean freak. You learn that rumor, talk to that demon, and then she cleans the goop off the floor for you! Another example is there's a dungeon where you need a key to progress, but you don't see an immediate way to get it. Start talking to demons though and you'll learn that Rasputin has the key! Talk to Rasputin, get the key!

Anyway I could talk about Eternal Punishment all day and how genius this game is. You should play Innocent Sin first, but you're in for a treat once you get here. #PlayPersona2
I do not have persona 2. But I have the psp version of the first game. I hope they rerelease Persona 2 soon, I want to play it. Thank you for your post.

Speaking of Persona, even after beating 5 Royal and playing through 3 Portable now, I still have no idea when to fuse Personas. 5 I ended up only doing it to boost social links, and in 3 I'm doing it only after a pair of Personas can no longer learn any more moves. 😅

Speaking of Persona, even after beating 5 Royal and playing through 3 Portable now, I still have no idea when to fuse Personas. 5 I ended up only doing it to boost social links, and in 3 I'm doing it only after a pair of Personas can no longer learn any more moves. 😅
The honest answer is, you'll probably be best of doing it as soon as you can. There's little point sticking with older ones the moment that higher level ones are available. Unlocking moves by leveling personas is dreadfully slow and not worth it in many cases.

I’m back to Labyrinth of Galleria this week due to traveling and only having a Switch, and the plot is starting to make a BIT more sense. Kind of? But I have a really bad feeling about where this current part of the game is headed, so we’ll see what happens soon! This game is really good at keeping you guessing about where it’s going and the structure of the game in general.

As I wrap up my Mario and Luigi playthrough, I desperately wish more RPGs kept the damage numbers this low. Every single hit just seems to make more impact to me when the digits increase, or feel worse when it drops to singles. I just feel like I can grasp it more.

As I wrap up my Mario and Luigi playthrough, I desperately wish more RPGs kept the damage numbers this low. Every single hit just seems to make more impact to me when the digits increase, or feel worse when it drops to singles. I just feel like I can grasp it more.
That's something I preferred in Chrono Trigger over FF, too. It's easier to tell how much more powerful new moves are, too, and when one move is working better than another.

I’m still determined to finish Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones even though I wasn’t able to finish it before my copy of Trails To Azure arrived. Today I managed to clear two more maps. Both took a while as I felt I had the wrong approach and had to start both of them over a few times. The bosses of each map gave me some grief too, so it felt satisfying to take them down. Two of my units promoted at level 20 which felt good and four others are right on the cusp. Once the main characters promote I’m hoping the difficulty will calm down again. Just six maps to go!

Finally gave The Voice of Cards demo a try and this is totally my jam. Has a nice 8-bit RPG vibe to it along with the card based presentation. Will definitely be picking up the full trilogy(?) at some point.

Finally gave The Voice of Cards demo a try and this is totally my jam. Has a nice 8-bit RPG vibe to it along with the card based presentation. Will definitely be picking up the full trilogy(?) at some point.
I’ve been curious about them for a while- I enjoyed the demo but there’s so many other rpgs to play too

I’m mostly just holding out for a physical release of some sort. It’s odd they haven’t yet.
I think they are waiting for the full series to consider a physicial version. Knowing Taro they want to do the full deck (Dragons Roar is VI, Maiden is IV and Beast is IX). Hopefully his plans didn't change because of squenix underperforming titles

FF7R sure makes one hell of a first impression. It’s an absolute spectacle. The combat feels kinda loose, and I don’t know if I like that, but I’ll get used to it. For now, I’m just basking in the (mako) glow of seeing these characters and this setting presented like this. It’s mind blowing.

You’re right! Now where’s the XIII Trilogy remaster?
ALL THE YEAHS

THE PEOPLE WANT 13, SQUARE!

Ok, so I have been trying to beat Jecht for the last four nights. This guy is a pain in the frickin ass. First part is tough but very doable. Try to slow the pillars and keep hammering the damage in there. Second half is a completely different story. MFer turns into Mark F'ing McGuire with that sword and smacks everyone around like his little bitch. There is just no stopping him. Pretty much everyone gets KO'd in one swing, for sure if he goes back to back. It gets frustrating after a while, you know?

So what do I do? Exactly what any veteran of the JRPG world would do. I go out and grind my ass. I try to farm any AP and spheres that I can get. I go farm Candle Wind whatever the hell you call that item so I can add Zombiestrike to a weapon, because apparently that works on Jecht. I use every last possible sphere to get my guys the most HP possible. I sure could use a couple more teleport and LV4 spheres, let me tell you.

Well, I finally get to a point where I feel confident. I think I can do this. I have enough items and I think my team is buffed up enough. It is mainly the Tidus, Yuna, Luna, and Auron show at this point. I'm ready it's time. Well, first half goes just fine like usual. Second half starts a little dicey, but hey, I'm actually making up some ground. I'm timing Yuna's summons perfectly with Jecht's break. Even when he swings, Tidus and Auron are basically guaranteed to survive two rounds. I even got a little lucky with a couple characters dodging that move. This is actually happening, right?

Ok, this is where it gets good. This is where I shoot myself in the foot like a dumbass. I get Jecht down to ~14k. I have the option to use my closer. Enter Bahamut. Dude is primed and ready to go. One round with that Megaflare and it is game over. My conquest is complete. I can finally say that I finished all mainline Final Fantasy games. A lifelong goal! Suddenly, I come up with a great idea. Tidus needs to have the last wack at the boss. After all, it is his old man, right? It would be so poetic to have him finish the game and the journey. Let me just have Yuna flare the bastard and set Tidus up for the finish. Easy? WRONG. All of a sudden, one of the pillars comes alive and powers him up. He takes a swing. Wait a minute! His gauge is full! Another swing and a power up. What is happening??? Third swing. GAME OVER.

Let me tell you, I haven't been this stunned since Cody Parkey kicked the double doink in the playoffs against Phily. I stared speechless at my TV for a minute. I had victory in my grasp, but I wanted to be poetic. I wanted the "real" ending. Whatever the hell that means. Congrats Josh. You really screwed things up this time. I hope you are proud of yourself. Try not to get so cute next time and just beat the game once and for all.

Now I have to go to bed because I have to get up in six hours, put on my big boy pants, and go to work. I don't care that tomorrow is Friday. I don't care that I get paid tomorrow. I just wanted to beat Final Fantasy X

I finished Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones today! While Fire Emblem GBA is the more engaging of the two, I had a much more enjoyable time with The Sacred Stones thanks to the QOL bumps (particularly around inventory management), the RPG world map structure, and just generally getting better at Fire Emblem. I never felt I needed to play any extra maps to finish the game, but I did check out a random overworld battle and cleared the first floor of the tower and ruins. I was kind of worried about the final stretch given chapter 19 was fairly tough and only Eirika and Ephraim could wield S class weapons, but I was very thankful even just my first floor trip to the ruins proved super useful as monsters dropped generous XP and three more of my characters rose to S-rank proficiency. Unlike Fire Emblem GBA, my core party remained the same for most of the game: Eirika, Franz, Neimi, Ross, Artur, Lute, Natasha, L’Arachel, Tana, and Thethys. All of my fighters were able to promote which kept them relevant. My final boss fight went very well as Eirika, Emphraim, and Myrrh were able to kill it alone in one turn.

My appreciation of Fire Emblem has definitely increased now that I have three proper games under my belt. It’ll most probably be a year or two from now, but I’m looking forward to whenever I tackle either Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon or Fates next. For the first Fire Emblem in particular, I do have the DS version and on Switch the original NES version and I’m curious if anyone here has a preference if you’ve played both. I’ll likely ultimately play both eventually, but I am quite curious.

With the Fire Emblems done, I feel I can say I’m entering the back half of my final Wii U VC game project. The first six games I finished were all RPGs and the back seven is split between four RPGs and three non RPGs. Up next for this thread will be the two Golden Suns which I haven’t played before, but I will be taking a good pause at this point. I’m not interested in juggling two JRPGs right now, so I’m going to be most focused on my Trails To Azure replay.

Ok, so I have been trying to beat Jecht for the last four nights. This guy is a pain in the frickin ass. First part is tough but very doable. Try to slow the pillars and keep hammering the damage in there. Second half is a completely different story. MFer turns into Mark F'ing McGuire with that sword and smacks everyone around like his little bitch. There is just no stopping him. Pretty much everyone gets KO'd in one swing, for sure if he goes back to back. It gets frustrating after a while, you know?

So what do I do? Exactly what any veteran of the JRPG world would do. I go out and grind my ass. I try to farm any AP and spheres that I can get. I go farm Candle Wind whatever the hell you call that item so I can add Zombiestrike to a weapon, because apparently that works on Jecht. I use every last possible sphere to get my guys the most HP possible. I sure could use a couple more teleport and LV4 spheres, let me tell you.

Well, I finally get to a point where I feel confident. I think I can do this. I have enough items and I think my team is buffed up enough. It is mainly the Tidus, Yuna, Luna, and Auron show at this point. I'm ready it's time. Well, first half goes just fine like usual. Second half starts a little dicey, but hey, I'm actually making up some ground. I'm timing Yuna's summons perfectly with Jecht's break. Even when he swings, Tidus and Auron are basically guaranteed to survive two rounds. I even got a little lucky with a couple characters dodging that move. This is actually happening, right?

Ok, this is where it gets good. This is where I shoot myself in the foot like a dumbass. I get Jecht down to ~14k. I have the option to use my closer. Enter Bahamut. Dude is primed and ready to go. One round with that Megaflare and it is game over. My conquest is complete. I can finally say that I finished all mainline Final Fantasy games. A lifelong goal! Suddenly, I come up with a great idea. Tidus needs to have the last wack at the boss. After all, it is his old man, right? It would be so poetic to have him finish the game and the journey. Let me just have Yuna flare the bastard and set Tidus up for the finish. Easy? WRONG. All of a sudden, one of the pillars comes alive and powers him up. He takes a swing. Wait a minute! His gauge is full! Another swing and a power up. What is happening??? Third swing. GAME OVER.

Let me tell you, I haven't been this stunned since Cody Parkey kicked the double doink in the playoffs against Phily. I stared speechless at my TV for a minute. I had victory in my grasp, but I wanted to be poetic. I wanted the "real" ending. Whatever the hell that means. Congrats Josh. You really screwed things up this time. I hope you are proud of yourself. Try not to get so cute next time and just beat the game once and for all.

Now I have to go to bed because I have to get up in six hours, put on my big boy pants, and go to work. I don't care that tomorrow is Friday. I don't care that I get paid tomorrow. I just wanted to beat Final Fantasy X
That boss fight is brutal and I feel your pain across this great post. Here’s my only advice:

The room right before you fight Jecht has an item drop that lets you unlock any sphere on the sphere grid. I used it to give Auron Tidus’s best move, Quick Hit. This lets Auron deal his full damage over and over and over again especially if you give him Haste There’s probably better strategies out there, but I remember being very happy how this worked out.

Yo Tokyo Xanadu is coming to Switch. It’s a bizarre cross between Trails and Ys with a modern day setting. It’s not quite as good as either Trails or Ys, but I had a good time with it on Vita. Hope we get a US release. Aksys handled the Vita, PS4, and PC releases.

Back
Top Bottom